PDA

View Full Version : BT Sport

mcohibs
02-06-2017, 06:14 PM
Watched the LC draw on BT Sport and the hour and a half long season roundup they had on beforehand. Been really impressed with their coverage of Scottish football this season. Night and day compared to sky's coverage of the game up here imo.

B.H.F.C
02-06-2017, 06:29 PM
Their coverage of Scottish football is much better than Sky. BT actually invest a bit of time in it.

Bristolhibby
02-06-2017, 06:30 PM
Their rugby coverage down in England has been brilliant.

Only down side has meant too many Bath games played on a Friday night. No use when you have young kids.

Plus, sitting out in the open in the pishing rain on a Friday night in February ain't fun.

J

Diclonius
02-06-2017, 06:31 PM
BT Sport are great - really glad they have rights to all the games next season.

Much better than Sky "oh it's the Scots so let's have bagpipes as the opening music" Sports.

therealgavmac
02-06-2017, 06:46 PM
Their rugby coverage down in England has been brilliant.

Only down side has meant too many Bath games played on a Friday night. No use when you have young kids.

Plus, sitting out in the open in the pishing rain on a Friday night in February ain't fun.

J

You wanna try being a season ticket holder at the Scarlets:wink:

lord bunberry
02-06-2017, 06:51 PM

Much better than Sky "oh it's the Scots so let's have bagpipes as the opening music" Sports.

I didn't know that

Big_Franck
02-06-2017, 06:51 PM
Agreed, BT Sport have been a breath of fresh air for Scottish Football. I'm hoping we get chosen for a couple of their live Friday night games at Easter Road next season.

On the whole their commentators and pundits are good, the only that I don't like is Stephen Craigan. He' a bit of a dour **** that never has a good thing to say about Hibs.

KWJ
02-06-2017, 06:54 PM
Can that roundup be seen anywhere else?

overdrive
02-06-2017, 07:45 PM

Are you sure about that? The current joint deal was meant to be until 2020. BT were holding talks with the SPFL to go it alone after that.

DavieRoy
02-06-2017, 10:25 PM

Wrong on both counts.

Next season is when the three year option kicks in, Sky and BT will have 30 League games each. Sky will have the majority of first picks as they pay/invest more money.

Sky haven't used bagpipes in their titles for the past three season's.

I like BT's Friday games, if they pick the right games at the right time of year. It is much better than early Saturday or Sunday. That is refreshing.

Sky had a Neil Lennon package on today. Good stuff. BT don't have that sort of daily coverage. Most of Hibernian's goals were on Sky on Saturday night last season, Lennon got on live quite a bit. Their archive on the On Demand is good and have extended highlights of us quite a bit and extra stuff of us winning the league.

BT need to go a long way to have all that content. They have made a decent start but I think their PR is better and the perception is they do more, the facts don't add up yet. They do a 30 minute preview show and buy in a highlights show from Singapore, Sky have started doing their own.

BT going well but, to me, not as good as made out.

lord bunberry
02-06-2017, 10:48 PM
Wrong on both counts.

Next season is when the three year option kicks in, Sky and BT will have 30 League games each. Sky will have the majority of first picks as they pay/invest more money.

I like BT's Friday games, if they pick the right games at the right time of year. It is much better than early Saturday or Sunday. That is refreshing.

Sky had a Neil Lennon package on today. Good stuff. BT don't have that sort of daily coverage. Most of Hibernian's goals were on Sky on Saturday night last season, Lennon got on live quite a bit. Their archive on the On Demand is good and have extended highlights of us quite a bit and extra stuff of us winning the league.

BT need to go a long way to have all that content. They have made a decent start but I think their PR is better and the perception is they do more, the facts don't add up yet. They do a 30 minute preview show and buy in a highlights show from Singapore, Sky have started doing their own.

And BT don't have you buddy. The problem sky has is that Scottish football gets a bit lost in all their coverage. BT doesn't have that problem so their coverage seems to stand out more. I'm not fussed either way tbh, but I will say that sky has a bit of a soft spot for hibs, probably down to your good self.:greengrin

mcohibs
02-06-2017, 11:08 PM
Wrong on both counts.

The Lennon piece was on Sky Sports News, a well established 24-hour news channel which would make no sense for BT to try and compete with. That same piece they introduced as Lennon coaching our rivals 'Edinburgh Hearts' as opposed to 'Harps'. Also the same channel that done a feature on Dundee a few week's ago using Utd's badge, with Merson admitting he didn't know anything about either team.

BT Sport's direct coverage of Scottish football is far better than Sky's in my opinion ie. live matches with more engaging pundits/ guests, highlights etc. (Yet to see a dodgy cup draw on BT Sports)

Not sure why BT Sport's PR being better should be construed as a negative thing either? They've got a far more engaging presence on social media etc. when it comes to Scottish football than Sky - important tool to have nowadays.

California-Hibs
02-06-2017, 11:11 PM
Watched the LC draw on BT Sport and the hour and a half long season roundup they had on beforehand. Been really impressed with their coverage of Scottish football this season. Night and day compared to sky's coverage of the game up here imo.

Agree 100%! Very impressed with BT Sport, the pundits do a very good job! Sutton plays his role pretty well and it's definitely good viewing.

davhibby
02-06-2017, 11:36 PM
Wrong on both counts.

Sky's extras are good, like when they had archive games and interviews before the Scottish cup games etc. It's a shame that their match coverage is so bad. Always picking the old firm, show no interest in other teams and you get about 15 minutes coverage before and after the game with max 2 pundits who most of the time know little about the teams outside Celtic and rangers. BT's match day coverage is miles ahead in comparison, they actually make it look like they care and it's not just something to fill a gap

Baader
02-06-2017, 11:56 PM
I work for BT Sport down here in The Olympic Park, Stratford. I'm staff editor (as in I cut programmes, make highlights etc.) Have worked for a range of sports broadcasters after I left BBC about 10 years ago and been at BTS since launch in 2013. I work across all sports but obviously mostly football.

Glad to hear fellow Hibbys approve (on the whole) of their Scottish coverage. They do have some good talent working on it. I worked on the review earlier tonight. Sadly, Derek Rae is leaving us to go back to work in the US. A real gent who is very passionate and knowledgeable about Scottish fitba.

And just to let it be known - I'm not the only Hibby working there!!

lord bunberry
02-06-2017, 11:59 PM
I work for BT Sport down here in The Olympic Park, Stratford. I'm staff editor (as in I cut programmes, make highlights etc.) Have worked for a range of sports broadcasters after I left BBC about 10 years ago and been at BTS since launch in 2013. I work across all sports but obviously mostly football.

Glad to hear fellow Hibbys approve (on the whole) of their Scottish coverage. They do have some good talent working on it. I worked on the review earlier tonight. Sadly, Derek Rae is leaving us to go back to work in the US. A real gent who is very passionate and knowledgeable about Scottish fitba.

Any idea who will replace Rae?

Mantis Toboggan
03-06-2017, 12:02 AM

I think your coverage is great. You take it seriously even on games that aren't top tier. Such a difference from sky.

Baader
03-06-2017, 12:27 AM
Any idea who will replace Rae?

Yes mate. It's been announced as Rory Hamilton.

bob12345
03-06-2017, 12:33 AM

Hi mate - sent you a PM.

Baader
03-06-2017, 12:41 AM
I think your coverage is great. You take it seriously even on games that aren't top tier. Such a difference from sky.

Thanks. I think so too. Glad you approve. Think Sutton is a big plus. Never a dull moment with him!

Mantis Toboggan
03-06-2017, 02:05 AM
Thanks. I think so too. Glad you approve. Think Sutton is a big plus. Never a dull moment with him!

Yeah he's not always right in my view but he gets the debate going. And he knows his stuff on the Scottish game. Clearly puts time in to watching teams. Mikey Stewart is also good. Can you please move Craigan on though!

Captain Trips
03-06-2017, 02:12 AM

Any chance I can take over from Derek? I know all the popular jargon:

What a stramash.
Oooft.
Dreich and dreary Dens Park.
Penalty to The Rangers.
Hearts Nil.
Cummings makes it 3.
Henderson to deliver

franck sauzee
03-06-2017, 02:14 AM
Yes mate. It's been announced as Rory Hamilton.

Met Rory a few times. Really nice guy

California-Hibs
03-06-2017, 03:07 AM

Gutted to read about Derek Rae leaving, he's very good at the commentary and very knowledgeable like you said. Hopefully there's a good replacement lined up.

Holmesdale Hibs
03-06-2017, 08:14 AM
I find the Sky coverage a bit better, mainly because Sutton and Craigan do my head in. But listening to those 2 is a small price to pay to be able to watch Scottish football and I've been ignoring pundits that know nothing about Hibs for as long as I can remember.

Sky's premiership coverage is a lot better than BTs.

InchHibby
03-06-2017, 08:58 AM
I'd like to change my previous post which says we can reach 12,500 : by kick off time, if we sign Liam and Stokesy in the next week or two, I can see season tickets reaching 14,000 no problem.
I'm sure Lennon will be aware of this. :flag:

InchHibby
03-06-2017, 09:02 AM
I'd like to change my previous post which says we can reach 12,500 : by kick off time, if we sign Liam and Stokesy in the next week or two, I can see season tickets reaching 14,000 no problem.
I'm sure Lennon will be aware of this. :flag:

Sorry wrong thread, should have been season tickets sold.:agree:

Pete70
03-06-2017, 09:15 AM
I think BT do a good job on football in general not just Scottish. My only wish is they get rid of Robbie Savage, I can't stand him and tend not to watch anything he is on.

HFCdeb
03-06-2017, 09:45 AM
Much prefer watching BT's coverage. You get the impression that the pundits, and network, are genuinely interested in our game, not just the Rangers and Celtic. I like Mikey Stewart and Chris Sutton too.
It's just nice to see Sky having credible competition to be honest, Lord knows it's been a long time coming.

keep the faith
03-06-2017, 06:13 PM
Wrong on both counts.

I think i can guess who you work for! 😉

Just Alf
04-06-2017, 08:30 AM
Watching the final last night did they say they had all the games from both the big European cup competitions next season?.

Where they gonna fit it all in :confused:

calumhibee1
04-06-2017, 08:39 AM
Watching the final last night did they say they had all the games from both the big European cup competitions next season?.

Where they gonna fit it all in :confused:

They had them all this season did they not?

Just Alf
04-06-2017, 08:58 AM
They had them all this season did they not?

Lol.... Not sure, ..... Just shows what an impression they made on me!

Is It On....
04-06-2017, 12:21 PM
Any chance I can take over from Derek? I know all the popular jargon:

What a stramash.
Oooft.
Dreich and dreary Dens Park.
Penalty to The Rangers.
Hearts Nil.
Cummings makes it 3.
Henderson to deliver

"Hibs fan going a bit radge" when we were beating Sevco at Greyskull was my personal favourite..

greenlad
04-06-2017, 08:41 PM
"Hibs fan going a bit radge" when we were beating Sevco at Greyskull was my personal favourite..

"have a "deek" at the table, as they say across in the capital, to see Hibs ahead of Rangers - every reason for the Hibees to "go radge" as they often say in Edinburgh too"

All delivered in a fairly well-to-do accent which made it all the more surreal.