PDA

View Full Version : Sportsound Podcasts

California-Hibs
02-06-2017, 10:07 AM
I have to say, and I feel I'll perhaps be in the minority here, I really enjoy listening to these Podcasts from BBC Sportsound.

Maybe it's because I'm over here in California and it has somewhat of a nostalgic feeling when I listen, reminding me of having it on in the background upon getting back in the car after a Hibs game, but I genuinely enjoy the content they lay on.

They've had a lot recently on gambling within football and it's very insightful. I also like a few of the regulars they have on too (Tom English talks a lot of sense and so does.....Barry Ferguson! 😱) Aswel as the guest appearances also.

I feel it's well balanced too and doesn't overly lean towards the Old Firm. Of course with Celtics season they've had it's going to get a fair crack of airtime but let's be honest it's only fair.

Am I alone with these thoughts? Too much California sun again? Just thought I'd put it out there. Good go to Podcasts in my opinion.

CallumLaidlaw
02-06-2017, 10:11 AM
No, I don't think you are. I think it was discussed recently, and although some refuse to see past what they see as BBC Biased, a lot admitted that they enjoy a lot of the content. I used to listen to the Terrace Scottish podcast over the Sportsound ones, but in the last year I have definitely went to the BBC ones as my first choice listen. As you say, most of the regular guests (Barry Ferguson, Scott McDonald, Tam McManus) come across well and Tom English is very good. Even Keith Jackson come across ok. Some of the gambling/dementia/poverty in football stuff they have done recently is excellent, and the "teammates" feature was great too.

KWJ
02-06-2017, 10:14 AM
I used to enjoy them when I was overseas as it's something to listen to but since returning either my interest has lessened or they've become poorer and I think it's a bit of both. I still really enjoy The Terrace podcast so i recommend giving that a listen.

The Monday Night Fitba one wasn't bad but needed a bit more variation in hosts, guess this has packed in now.

KWJ
02-06-2017, 10:16 AM
No, I don't think you are. I think it was discussed recently, and although some refuse to see past what they see as BBC Biased, a lot admitted that they enjoy a lot of the content. I used to listen to the Terrace Scottish podcast over the Sportsound ones, but in the last year I have definitely went to the BBC ones as my first choice listen. As you say, most of the regular guests (Barry Ferguson, Scott McDonald, Tam McManus) come across well and Tom English is very good. Even Keith Jackson come across ok. Some of the gambling/dementia/poverty in football stuff they have done recently is excellent, and the "teammates" feature was great too.

Agree with this. But their run of the mill shows are just so predictable these days.

matty_f
02-06-2017, 10:21 AM
I think they're great. A little repetitive sometimes but there's not a never ending stream of topics to discuss to be fair to them.

I put them on in the car when I'm going to/from work.

tamig
02-06-2017, 10:23 AM
I have to say, and I feel I'll perhaps be in the minority here, I really enjoy listening to these Podcasts from BBC Sportsound.

Maybe it's because I'm over here in California and it has somewhat of a nostalgic feeling when I listen, reminding me of having it on in the background upon getting back in the car after a Hibs game, but I genuinely enjoy the content they lay on.

They've had a lot recently on gambling within football and it's very insightful. I also like a few of the regulars they have on too (Tom English talks a lot of sense and so does.....Barry Ferguson! 😱) Aswel as the guest appearances also.

I feel it's well balanced too and doesn't overly lean towards the Old Firm. Of course with Celtics season they've had it's going to get a fair crack of airtime but let's be honest it's only fair.

Am I alone with these thoughts? Too much California sun again? Just thought I'd put it out there. Good go to Podcasts in my opinion.
I listen to it live almost every night. There have been some excellent feature pieces done over the past couple of seasons. Touched on some sensitive topics as another poster mentions and I particularly thought the feature with Frank Kopel's widow earlier this year was one of the most moving pieces of radio I'd heard in a long time. My dad is a dementia sufferer and I could relate to quite a few of her insights.

California-Hibs
02-06-2017, 10:26 AM
Glad to hear some of you agree. Definitely should of added that I think Tam McManus does well too and always talks us up also. It's interesting to hear some of the stories from retired players such as our Tam, from their playing days.

CallumLaidlaw
02-06-2017, 10:54 AM
I used to enjoy them when I was overseas as it's something to listen to but since returning either my interest has lessened or they've become poorer and I think it's a bit of both. I still really enjoy The Terrace podcast so i recommend giving that a listen.

The Monday Night Fitba one wasn't bad but needed a bit more variation in hosts, guess this has packed in now.

I haven't listened to The Terrace as much as I used to as once Hearts and Rangers were out the Championship, they didn't give it anywhere near the same coverage. .

As for MNF, it appears to be coming back as 2 separate shows. The Hearts one is already up and running, but there isn't any sign of the Hibs version yet which is a real shame.

Spike Mandela
02-06-2017, 10:55 AM
Used to listen to it every night.

Nowadays it's not what they discuss (albeit the largely Rangers centric material is tiresome) that bothers me, it's what they refuse to discuss that made me switch off a long time ago.

Haven't missed it.

matty_f
02-06-2017, 11:01 AM
Would love to do a Hibs podcast, not sure of the logistics of getting one done but if anyone else was interested get in touch!

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
02-06-2017, 11:16 AM
Would love to do a Hibs podcast, not sure of the logistics of getting one done but if anyone else was interested get in touch!

Tried to PM you but i dont think its working - let me know if you got it?

SonOfDavidFrancey
02-06-2017, 11:18 AM

'You are not alone' - as the old film slogan went.

As a fellow exile (though nearer at hand) I love listening to these and actually I will go further and say I enjoy open all mikes on a Saturday.

The Rangers/Celtic thing is a red herring in my view - I think the content is pretty balanced.

ath
02-06-2017, 11:25 AM

You are not alone, I listen to them a fair bit. It's good to get a feel for the Scottish game, totally swamped by the EPL coverage where I am.

matty_f
02-06-2017, 12:07 PM
Tried to PM you but i dont think its working - let me know if you got it?

I never got it chief.

02-06-2017, 12:11 PM
HibsTalk are doing a podcast - just started. Strange time to start one if you ask me but it seems OK so far.