PDA

View Full Version : Why did we change badges?

Greencore
01-06-2017, 11:29 PM
Any reason why we changed our last badge to the current one?

jgl07
01-06-2017, 11:31 PM

Because the sloping pitch was gone/going?

Greencore
01-06-2017, 11:36 PM
Because the sloping pitch was gone/going?

Would be interesting to see the designs that were not used to replace the previous badge.

SirDavidsNapper
01-06-2017, 11:56 PM
Love the current badge. Old one was awful, think that's the main reason. Can still see the old badge template on the green girders on famous 5 stand.

NAE NOOKIE
02-06-2017, 12:40 AM
Because the last badge was crap .... and the one before that wasn't much better.

In one way or another a badge should either represent a clubs history or at least where it comes from .... the current badge covers all the bases and looks good as well.

Dashing Bob S
02-06-2017, 01:04 AM
Because the last badge was crap .... and the one before that wasn't much better.

In one way or another a badge should either represent a clubs history or at least where it comes from .... the current badge covers all the bases and looks good as well.

The last one wasn't just terrible, it was utterly ludicrous and the subject of much scorn and derision during its very limited epoch. This one says Ireland, Leith and Edinburgh, the last one said Saturn.

Austinho
02-06-2017, 02:22 AM
The last one was pretty cool looking back for nostalgic reasons, but it was of an era, not timeless and doesn't really represent the club.

It was probably done in a rush after us getting into trouble with using the crown on the old, old badge.

The new badge is good, if a little busy. There's some small improvements I'd do to it, but there's no denying it represents the club very well.

SirDavidsNapper
02-06-2017, 03:56 AM
The last one wasn't just terrible, it was utterly ludicrous and the subject of much scorn and derision during its very limited epoch. This one says Ireland, Leith and Edinburgh, the last one said Saturn.

😂

Dibben
02-06-2017, 04:25 AM
Would be interesting to see the designs that were not used to replace the previous badge.

I'm sure there was a fans competition to help design the badge. With entries being published in the EEN.

I may of course just be going mad!!

SouthMoroccoStu
02-06-2017, 04:58 AM
I'm sure there was a fans competition to help design the badge. With entries being published in the EEN.

I may of course just be going mad!!

I'm going mad with you!

I'm sure that's correct

The final few were also published in a programme- one for the collectors to fish out for us all

Pretty sure was a pupil from Portobello High that created our current design

JimBHibees
02-06-2017, 06:06 AM
The current badge is a thing of beauty. Superb. :flag:

RoYO!
02-06-2017, 06:25 AM
I'm going mad with you!

I'm sure that's correct

The final few were also published in a programme- one for the collectors to fish out for us all

Yep he was in my graphic comm class!

Jones28
02-06-2017, 06:47 AM
I'm going mad with you!

I'm sure that's correct

I remember that 100%

MB62
02-06-2017, 07:14 AM

:top marks

I nearly fell off my chair that 'saturn' was shown on T.V. for the first time and ended up having many an argument with the chairman of the time, Jim Gray (of the Duff & Gray era). They were well intentioned, IMO, but this thing was horrendous, especially given all the other entries that fans had designed.

Smartie
02-06-2017, 07:18 AM
Love the current badge. Old one was awful, think that's the main reason. Can still see the old badge template on the green girders on famous 5 stand.

Whilst I agree that the badge was terrible, I really like how the outline of it is still featured on the FF stand.

Whether we like it or not it is representative of an era, the era when I first got into Hibs.

The new one is much better though.

Greencore
02-06-2017, 07:32 AM
Really enjoying the responses to this thred. Nearly choked on my coffee with the Saturn response 😂. Gotta agree the previous badge did not represent us well and tell our story of who we are and what we are. The current badge is perfect, it is respectful to our past and to our now. Would love to see other designs that were considered at the time.

Apart from the obvious who do you think has a really rubbish badge in Scottish football? Hertz, Dundee United and Alloa for me.

Sas_The_Hibby
02-06-2017, 07:36 AM

This comment is deeply offensive to all Saturn worshippers amongst the Hibs support. This is the year 57BC, after all, and not the dark ages.

Sas_The_Hibby
02-06-2017, 07:37 AM

There are an infinite number :wink:

Jones28
02-06-2017, 07:50 AM
How long did we have the Saturn badge for?

tamig
02-06-2017, 07:59 AM
How long did we have the Saturn badge for?

It was from about 87-2000 I think.

Edit - looks like it came in in 89.

Hibernia&Alba
02-06-2017, 08:06 AM
I like the current crest; my only criticism is the amount of detail in it. Perhaps the more simple design of a large harp would look more eye-catching.

connerg
02-06-2017, 09:46 AM
Really enjoying the responses to this thred. Nearly choked on my coffee with the Saturn response 😂. Gotta agree the previous badge did not represent us well and tell our story of who we are and what we are. The current badge is perfect, it is respectful to our past and to our now. Would love to see other designs that were considered at the time.

Apart from the obvious who do you think has a really rubbish badge in Scottish football? Hertz, Dundee United and Alloa for me.

Aberdeen, Dundee and any team with a Lion on it except Scotland.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
02-06-2017, 10:00 AM
I like the current crest; my only criticism is the amount of detail in it. Perhaps the more simple design of a large harp would look more eye-catching.

I think we should go for both - keep that as our officisl club crest, bit use the harp as our unofficial one, put olit on our shirts etc

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
02-06-2017, 10:01 AM

Abeerdeen's has to be the worst by some distance. Its like a boys club badge.

Diclonius
02-06-2017, 10:07 AM
Our badge is perfect. Wouldn't do a thing to change it.

Pete70
02-06-2017, 10:08 AM
It was from about 87-2000 I think.

Edit - looks like it came in in 89.

The "Saturn" shape has also been cut into the iron girders framing the outside of the Famous Five stand.

Dobosz83
02-06-2017, 10:20 AM
I love the current crest. Although I think it would look better being 'joined' in full circle where the '18' and '75' part are. If that makes sense!

ALF TUPPER
02-06-2017, 10:24 AM
Previous badge was awful. Always looked like it came off a beer bottle.

The current crest is fantastic. 😁

1van Sprou7e
02-06-2017, 10:26 AM
I think we should go for both - keep that as our officisl club crest, bit use the harp as our unofficial one, put olit on our shirts etc

Wouldn't mind that, keep our current badge but wear something like this on our kits

tamig
02-06-2017, 10:33 AM
Wouldn't mind that, keep our current badge but wear something like this on our kits

I really don't get the obsession some people have with a harp badge. The harp is beautifully integrated into some other key elements in the current crest. I love the current badge and hope we keep it as it is for all time.

Sas_The_Hibby
02-06-2017, 10:46 AM
I really don't get the obsession some people have with a harp badge. The harp is beautifully integrated into some other key elements in the current crest. I love the current badge and hope we keep it as it is for all time.

Don't know if "obsession" is fair but I agree that, whilst our Irish origins are important, so are the other elements

I'm not sure, however, about keeping the current badge "for all time" - when Franck Sauzee is officially made a God, I think the French flag should be added. Or a stylised vineyard! :sauzee: :wink:

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
02-06-2017, 11:19 AM

I get that some dont see it, but others do - i think that would look better on our shirt, amd is the crest our founders chose. Should nevet have been changed imo.

Im not unhappy with the current one, i just like the old harp.

Dashing Bob S
02-06-2017, 11:23 AM
This comment is deeply offensive to all Saturn worshippers amongst the Hibs support. This is the year 57BC, after all, and not the dark ages.

I understand your concerns but it could be worse. I could be a Jambo, you could be my sister. Then I'd be fascinated by Uranus.

.Sean.
02-06-2017, 11:26 AM
Makes two of us.

Dashing Bob S
02-06-2017, 11:28 AM

I think that makes sense. The Harp is a strong emblem for branding, but I'd keep the castle and ship as the extended crest. It's a bit unwieldy in its detail but tells a great story.

scuttle
02-06-2017, 11:56 AM
Previous badge was awful. Always looked like it came off a beer bottle.

The current crest is fantastic. 😁

Had old badge tattooed on my right leg and now have the new one on my left. Whilst on holiday in Tenerife once an elderly lady who was sitting at the pool
asked me why i had a Heineken badge on my leg.

Sas_The_Hibby
02-06-2017, 11:58 AM
I understand your concerns but it could be worse. I could be a Jambo, you could be my sister. Then I'd be fascinated by Uranus.

You could also be Caligula by the sound of it.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
02-06-2017, 12:13 PM
Yep he was in my graphic comm class!

Get that man knighted! Fantastic football club crest.

southsider
02-06-2017, 01:02 PM
Our badge is perfect. Wouldn't do a thing to change it.
The first full season the Harp went back up on the main (west) stand we won The Scottish Cup. Our curse was lifted.

NAE NOOKIE
02-06-2017, 01:10 PM

There are a few minging badges around .... Aberdeen probably do top the list, I mean I get the design but its just so bland. Dundee Utd's is pretty average too as is Sevco old and new.

Even though I could never admit I like the Hertz badge it has to be said its one of the better ones out there .... even though the club wasn't actually named after the Heart of Midlothian on the Royal Mile it does reflect the clubs name and its Edinburgh origins ... besides, what Hibby could be annoyed about supporting the only club in the world where you are actively encouraged to spit on your rivals badge every time you walk past it? Personally I never pass up the opportunity :greengrin

pacoluna
02-06-2017, 03:01 PM
At least it was original .

Frogga
02-06-2017, 09:36 PM
I'm sure I have the programme with the designs in it somewhere. There were 5 designs for the fans to vote for.

The winning design was similar but not identical to our current badge. Someone did a bit of tweaking before releasing it!

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
02-06-2017, 09:48 PM
There are a few minging badges around .... Aberdeen probably do top the list, I mean I get the design but its just so bland. Dundee Utd's is pretty average too as is Sevco old and new.

Even though I could never admit I like the Hertz badge it has to be said its one of the better ones out there .... even though the club wasn't actually named after the Heart of Midlothian on the Royal Mile it does reflect the clubs name and its Edinburgh origins ... besides, what Hibby could be annoyed about supporting the only club in the world where you are actively encouraged to spit on your rivals badge every time you walk past it? Personally I never pass up the opportunity :greengrin

Agree with this, the Hearts badge is quite smart, just what it is attached to thats the problem...

Mantis Toboggan
02-06-2017, 10:06 PM

Harp is quite unique looking though. Kind of reminiscent of the liver bird. Current badge is good though I agree.

jacomo
02-06-2017, 10:30 PM
Whilst I agree that the badge was terrible, I really like how the outline of it is still featured on the FF stand.

Whether we like it or not it is representative of an era, the era when I first got into Hibs.

The new one is much better though.

:agree:

I regard the old one with a little nostalgic fondness, but the current one is loads better.

steakbake
02-06-2017, 11:47 PM
I'd take the "Hibernian" and "Edinburgh" bit out of it: we know who we are and those aspects are already covered. Previous badge was pish- the crown and football.

The original badge is class: just the harp.

Hibernia&Alba
04-06-2017, 10:59 AM
Harp crest with Guinness shirt sponsor :agree:

Hibbyradge
04-06-2017, 11:07 AM
The "Saturn" shape has also been cut into the iron girders framing the outside of the Famous Five stand.

Indeed.

Never mind filling in the corners, fill in those bloody holes!

ALF TUPPER
04-06-2017, 09:09 PM
Had old badge tattooed on my right leg and now have the new one on my left. Whilst on holiday in Tenerife once an elderly lady who was sitting at the pool
asked me why i had a Heineken badge on my leg.

Just seen this.... 😂😂😂 ha ha ha brilliant

heidtheba
04-06-2017, 09:25 PM

I bucked the view of most Hibbies at the time when I admitted I loved the 'candy stripes' strip of 94/95 but the badge I never liked, even though 'that era' was my favourite one.

erin go bragh
04-06-2017, 09:30 PM
We had to change our previous one , as the Duke of Buccleuch wanted 1m from us , saying it was his coat of arms or something similar but the one we changed too was in hounour to our sloping pitch .
Pretty sure we changed it when we levelled the slope ( Thank god )
The new badge is a thing of beauty.

Joe6-2
04-06-2017, 10:53 PM
You could also be Caligula by the sound of it.

Lol

The goalie
05-06-2017, 08:44 AM
Lol

Always reminded me of this at the time. We had to change to it due to the lord lyon complaining we were using the the crown without permission etc. I like the current badge way more than the slope one!
http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/9c3ddc2a4bd3421aaaca0af5c71562bb/belhaven-premium-pale-ale-bottle-label-date-unknown-but-pre-greene-c1gpjw.jpg

The Crippler
05-06-2017, 10:02 PM
I've got the programme somewhere, will have a look for it. I was lucky to be picked for the final 6 but would say i'm glad the one that won it did, given the way the final design turned out. Mine looks a bit dated and included 5 stars (for the Famous 5) which would look naff now...every other team that wins something these days has a star or two! The finalists got invited for dinner with Lawrie Rielly which was a nice touch, and hospitality for a game.

HoboHarry
06-06-2017, 01:25 AM

I thought that was the year that the Yams last won the League Cup....

BullsCloseHibs
06-06-2017, 09:06 PM
wouldn't mind that, keep our current badge but wear something like this on our kits

stunning!

HibbyDave
07-06-2017, 05:58 AM
I was in the museum at Hampden yesterday and they have our strip with the beer bottle badge on show as if it's the current one despite the info card about Hibs having the current badge. Lots of decent stuff to see but it needs updated from around 2013.

heretoday
07-06-2017, 09:34 AM

Or a large ship - for Leith. I agree. Keep it simple. The current badge smacks of trying to cover too many bases.

Lancs Harp
07-06-2017, 09:38 AM
I wouldnt change anything on the badge, I think its great.

NAE NOOKIE
07-06-2017, 10:20 AM
Or a large ship - for Leith. I agree. Keep it simple. The current badge smacks of trying to cover too many bases.

We have many bases to cover though ...... The trouble with our past efforts was that apart from the original Harp none of them reflected the clubs identity.

If we had always stuck to the harp then that would have been fine, but by the time we got to the 21st century reverting back to just the Harp wouldn't have reflected the clubs complex identity. The Harp was originally chosen not because the people who founded the club wanted to reflect the clubs Irish origins, it was chosen because almost to a man they 'were' Irish having actually been born in the Emerald Isle.

By the time we were looking to once again change the badge there was a need to reflect not just the club's original founders but also the fact that the club had cemented its place as an Edinburgh and Leith institution and its pride not only in its origins but also in the city and district of that city where the vast majority of its owners, players and supporters have been and are drawn from .... most of whom probably have little or no connection to the country from which the clubs founders came.

I'm positive that back in 2000 the club were well aware that this would be the 4th time the club had changed its badge and that was far too many and reflected a struggle with what our identity should be. What they needed to do was come up with a badge that would reflect 'every' aspect of the clubs identity and would never have to be changed again ..... IMO they did that brilliantly and came up with a badge that not only looks good but does exactly what its supposed to, insomuch as it reflects all of the elements that go together to make Hibs the fantastic club it is.

Kato
07-06-2017, 04:13 PM
We have many bases to cover though ...... The trouble with our past efforts was that apart from the original Harp none of them reflected the clubs identity.

If we had always stuck to the harp then that would have been fine, but by the time we got to the 21st century reverting back to just the Harp wouldn't have reflected the clubs complex identity. The Harp was originally chosen not because the people who founded the club wanted to reflect the clubs Irish origins, it was chosen because almost to a man they 'were' Irish having actually been born in the Emerald Isle.

By the time we were looking to once again change the badge there was a need to reflect not just the club's original founders but also the fact that the club had cemented its place as an Edinburgh and Leith institution and its pride not only in its origins but also in the city and district of that city where the vast majority of its owners, players and supporters have been and are drawn from .... most of whom probably have little or no connection to the country from which the clubs founders came.

I'm positive that back in 2000 the club were well aware that this would be the 4th time the club had changed its badge and that was far too many and reflected a struggle with what our identity should be. What they needed to do was come up with a badge that would reflect 'every' aspect of the clubs identity and would never have to be changed again ..... IMO they did that brilliantly and came up with a badge that not only looks good but does exactly what its supposed to, insomuch as it reflects all of the elements that go together to make Hibs the fantastic club it is.

Well said. The Hibernian community are a broad church with supporters who view the club in many different ways. No single aspect of the badge works on it's own but together they reflect Hibs now and its history perfectly.

The Crippler
07-06-2017, 09:08 PM
I found the programme with the final 6 badge choices to be voted on, but i'm having some technical problems posting the photo! It's in the Dundee Utd programme from 31st Oct 1999 if anyone interested. Will post if I can.

mca
07-06-2017, 09:22 PM
The first full season the Harp went back up on the main (west) stand we won The Scottish Cup. Our curse was lifted.

:not worth

I Love this badge.. dont know who Designed it tho.. 18712

Toggie88
02-07-2017, 11:17 PM
I found the programme with the final 6 badge choices to be voted on, but i'm having some technical problems posting the photo! It's in the Dundee Utd programme from 31st Oct 1999 if anyone interested. Will post if I can.

Any luck posting the programme, Crippler?

My uncle was one of the finalists.

Radium
02-07-2017, 11:56 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170702/c00b6b493a4b4e63b230dbf52326f108.jpg

This is my dads scarf which has a design I have not come across elsewhere.

I like the current badge with its links to past and present though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1van Sprou7e
03-07-2017, 01:30 AM

I am also very interested in seeing this programme, if you need any help uploading it then let me know!

Col_0762
03-07-2017, 05:00 AM
Hope this works...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170703/cd78c5c484d214cbe38a37ef82a077c4.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170703/563933b9a1f9dcb2886fd9332b262524.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170703/7beb41cbcde1b0a0a423866f19429c61.jpg

Carheenlea
03-07-2017, 07:07 AM
Interesting to see the choices from the time. The appetite to reinstate the harp was obviously strong, but to incorporate it into one of the designs proposed was a smart move. The badge should serve us well for many years to come, and is one that seems to be universally accepted across the support.

The Crippler
03-07-2017, 07:22 AM
Thanks Col_0762 and 1van Sprou7e, forgot to get back to that after a holiday! Which one was your uncle, Toggie88? I remember chatting with number 3 a fair bit.

I'd agree with that assessment Carheenla. It would be nice to have one symbol that stands out clearly on the shirt but I think the club made the right choice in the end to include the harp alongside the other elements.

Col_0762
03-07-2017, 09:05 AM
Went through the rest of the programmes for that season and here's the bit about the new crest with a pic of McPherson with the designer Bryan Leslie. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170703/0bcdc74051c57d898deb7b759732d082.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170703/71839b278625c5255c5a0f5bb6b33d1f.jpg

Wee extra observation, how much wasted paper was there on the old season books lol. Forgot how many tickets we used to get plus all the old preference vouchers!!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170703/1af362279acd1584f16281fa23d214f8.jpg

GreenCastle
03-07-2017, 09:09 AM
Hope this works...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170703/cd78c5c484d214cbe38a37ef82a077c4.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170703/563933b9a1f9dcb2886fd9332b262524.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170703/7beb41cbcde1b0a0a423866f19429c61.jpg

Thanks for sharing. I remember seeing these but it's been a while since the vote.

Also interesting they went with a changed version after the vote - the new badge doesn't really look like any of the 6 choices.

I do like our current badge though.

Is it a stupid question or what are the 5 stars representing on the harp ?

1van Sprou7e
03-07-2017, 09:13 AM
Thanks for sharing. I remember seeing these but it's been a while since the vote.

Also interesting they went with a changed version after the vote - the new badge doesn't really look like any of the 6 choices.

Must be the famous 5

1van Sprou7e
03-07-2017, 09:14 AM

Cheers mate, quite glad we didn't go with any of these 6, although #4 and #6 are quite nice!

Col_0762
03-07-2017, 09:21 AM
Cheers mate, quite glad we didn't go with any of these 6, although #4 and #6 are quite nice!

The winner must have been number 2? Dropping the thistle and lion and changing Persevere to Edinburgh.

Wonder if the winner posts on here and they can share what happened after his being selected then modified and if he was involved in the process.

The Crippler
03-07-2017, 10:08 PM

Yeah at the time I quite liked the stars they used on Italian badges for league winners so I tweaked that for the Famous 5. Every second club's got stars on their badge now, glad we didn't go with that!

Peevemor
03-07-2017, 10:40 PM
The winner must have been number 2? Dropping the thistle and lion and changing Persevere to Edinburgh.

Wonder if the winner posts on here and they can share what happened after his being selected then modified and if he was involved in the process.
The Lord Lyon's office was consulted and they advised against a crest cut in 4 (quarters) as in heraldry this normally represents a marriage or a union - hence the thistle being binned.

SirDavidsNapper
03-07-2017, 10:50 PM
I like the current badge however I'd have liked to see the crown back on the crest instead of the football. Only reason being I think it would have looked smart.