PDA

View Full Version : NHC EPL payments

cabbageandribs1875
01-06-2017, 10:31 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40125394

Chelsea were paid £150.8m by the Premier League after winning the 2016-17 title - 50% more than the top earners in 2015-16.

The 2016-17 season was the first of the latest TV deal (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/31357409) and saw a total of almost £2.4bn paid to the 20 clubs - up from £1.6bn last season.

Bottom club Sunderland got £93.471m - more than the £93.219m 2015-16 winners Leicester pocketed the previous season.

astonishing amounts :agree:

calumhibee1
01-06-2017, 10:33 PM
And to think that generally the standard of English football is still rank.

Captain Trips
01-06-2017, 10:47 PM
And we keep hearing what the OF could do if down there. I haopen to think Hibs, Hearts Aberdeen etc might do alright getting 100m plus.

NAE NOOKIE
01-06-2017, 10:54 PM
That payment to Sunderland spread around the 10 Scottish premiership clubs outwith the uglies would totally transform our game so far as infrastructure was concerned .... Or imagine what you could do to Hampden with 93 million quid ...... oh how the other half live :greengrin

But once again it illustrates why comparisons between our game and what happens in the richest league in the world are utterly pointless .... It also makes it all the more incredible to think that most of the clubs in that league are in debt, big debt with some of them ... if their TV bubble ever bursts heaven help the lot of them.

Waxy
01-06-2017, 10:58 PM
If the tv bubble bursts it wont matter. If there's money to be made from a large support then clubs are invincible.

GreenLake
01-06-2017, 10:58 PM
They will not continue to rake in such ridiculous amounts of TV money and a crash is in the works. (https://mises.org/blog/espn-and-bursting-sports-bubble)

01-06-2017, 10:59 PM

The comedy of it is that English clubs pay twice what anyone else would for the same player. No wonder they are absolutely honking in European competitions.

NAE NOOKIE
01-06-2017, 11:08 PM
If the tv bubble bursts it wont matter. If there's money to be made from a large support then clubs are invincible.

Dunno about that mate ........ the money these clubs make through the gates is negligible compared to the TV money. If Leicester City fill their 32,000 capacity gaff 19 times a season and charge an average of £40 per punter that makes them £24,500,000 ... compared to the amount of money the need to put a team on the park in that league 24 million is peanuts.

If the TV money dried up the sound of cloth cutting would reverberate around the football world ..... they would still be big clubs, but the players would soon find that £100,000 a week contracts would be a long forgotten dream. Even Man Utd with a 75,000 capacity at £40 a punter would still only make £57,000,000 for a 19 game home season ... about 2 thirds of what the paid for Paul Pogba.

Hibbyradge
01-06-2017, 11:11 PM

Rank? Really?

Baader
01-06-2017, 11:14 PM

Ridiculous amounts of money but so is the above.

Diclonius
02-06-2017, 05:04 AM
Really looking forward to the day the whole thing crashes and they all suddenly find out what "living within your means" is.

BigKev
02-06-2017, 05:19 AM
Rank? Really?

Probably excitement wise it is. Couldn't tell you the lastEPL game that had me on the edge of my seat.

Even the "big" clashes are mind boringly dull.

Certainly the money paid by Sky and their charges to customers don't represent value for money IMO.

Pete
02-06-2017, 05:42 AM
The world wants to see these matches hence the big bucks. They want to see them because of the historical importance of English teams and the way their culture has shaped the game around the world.

I'm not envious, I'm just annoyed that our game hasn't been marketed in the same way as our game is just as important in a historical context.

Imagine hibs and hearts were fortunate enough to have these silver spoons shoved in our mouths. You have one immigrant club who have battled adversity and spawned creativity since its inception and another who provided a battalion that fought and died in the Great War. If we were English right now we'd be fighting off billionaire investors with sticks and there would be people all over India, Australia and Sweden who simply have to share their soul with Edinburgh.

This isn't even considering the other Scottish clubs and their proud history. It's annoying to say the least as even our runaway champions are dwarved financially by the likes of Bournemouth and Watford.

Bristolhibby
02-06-2017, 06:55 AM
Probably excitement wise it is. Couldn't tell you the lastEPL game that had me on the edge of my seat.

Certainly the money paid by Sky and their charges to customers don't represent value for money IMO.

Was at the Southampton v Stoke game a couple of weeks ago. Cracking, end to end game. Stoke fans were brilliant.

The pace was mind blowing.

It was a great game for the neutral.

J

WhileTheChief..
02-06-2017, 07:34 AM
The comedy of it is that English clubs pay twice what anyone else would for the same player. No wonder they are absolutely honking in European competitions.

Man Utd just won the Europa League so if English teams are honking what does that make the rest of Europe?!

Hibbyradge
02-06-2017, 07:53 AM

I could count, on one hand, the number of games not involving Hibs or Scotland which have had me on the edge of my seat.

Are we saying that teams at World Cup finals are rank because the games are often less than exciting?

hibsbollah
02-06-2017, 08:00 AM
Man Utd just won the Europa League so if English teams are honking what does that make the rest of Europe?!

They had to get past Celta Vigo and Ajax to do it, teams with a fraction of Man Yoos massive budget. Winning any major trophy is a great achievement, but the point being made is that English teams punch well below their financial weight when compared with the big five continental clubs.

surreyhibbie
02-06-2017, 08:05 AM
Sunderland get 93 million for coming last, plus gate receipts plus parachute payments....

how much did Celtc get for winning our top division?

madness..

green&left
02-06-2017, 08:14 AM

Chelsea lost £70m last year, turned over £330 million with around £90m TV money. Take out the TV money and alot of English clubs would be donald ducked. Here's hoping.

They're the richest club in the world TBF. Pogba cost Utd more than Ajax's entire turnover for the whole season.

green&left
02-06-2017, 08:16 AM
Sunderland get 93 million for coming last, plus gate receipts plus parachute payments....

how much did Celtc get for winning our top division?

madness..

Celtic got £2.8m last season for winning the league. Aberdeen just over £2m and Hertz £1.7m. Dundee Utd £950k. Figures from Grant Russell (STV) so should be legit.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
02-06-2017, 08:23 AM
Dunno about that mate ........ the money these clubs make through the gates is negligible compared to the TV money. If Leicester City fill their 32,000 capacity gaff 19 times a season and charge an average of £40 per punter that makes them £24,500,000 ... compared to the amount of money the need to put a team on the park in that league 24 million is peanuts.

If the TV money dried up the sound of cloth cutting would reverberate around the football world ..... they would still be big clubs, but the players would soon find that £100,000 a week contracts would be a long forgotten dream. Even Man Utd with a 75,000 capacity at £40 a punter would still only make £57,000,000 for a 19 game home season ... about 2 thirds of what the paid for Paul Pogba.

There is alse enormous disparity between gates.
I heard that arsenal make more from gate reciepts for 3 or 4 games than Sunderland do in a whole season.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
02-06-2017, 08:25 AM
Really looking forward to the day the whole thing crashes and they all suddenly find out what "living within your means" is.

They kind of are living within their means - their means are just enormous.

Sioux
02-06-2017, 08:30 AM
The world wants to see these matches hence the big bucks. They want to see them because of the historical importance of English teams and the way their culture has shaped the game around the world.

I'm not envious, I'm just annoyed that our game hasn't been marketed in the same way as our game is just as important in a historical context.

Imagine hibs and hearts were fortunate enough to have these silver spoons shoved in our mouths. You have one immigrant club who have battled adversity and spawned creativity since its inception and another who provided a battalion that fought and died in the Great War. If we were English right now we'd be fighting off billionaire investors with sticks and there would be people all over India, Australia and Sweden who simply have to share their soul with Edinburgh.

This isn't even considering the other Scottish clubs and their proud history. It's annoying to say the least as even our runaway champions are dwarved financially by the likes of Bournemouth and Watford.

I don't think millions of sky subscribers are paying subs for a history lesson! Sky can pay these stupid amounts because people like me pay over £100 a month to sky.

GreenNWhiteArmy
02-06-2017, 08:46 AM
The league is entertaining, of that there is no doubt. In terms of ACTUAL quality though, I'm not so sure. Technically, they are miles behind Spain/Germany imo.

Look at the recent performances in Europe (Champions League) and compare to other nations. Spain always have 3 teams reaching the quarter finals, Germany 2. If you add in Europa League then that figure would double. You could say "well man utd and Liverpool reached the final the last couple years" but that's only because they've failed in their attempts to qualify for the main event via league position so cling to that as a last hope. They're close to losing their 4th place because of how poorly their clubs are performing

I was a kid that grew up "supporting" an English club, Man Utd. I'll be honest though, the older i get the less i actually give a **** about them or their football manager type league. Bang average players moving for tens of millions of pounds. It disgusts me - that's maybe coming from a position of envy. We've got football clubs like West Brom/Watford/Bournemouth (all who have made excellent progress to reach the top flight) but genuinely believing they are bigger clubs than most up here. The potential Scotland has for an excellent product is scary but wont be given a chance, partly down to our own greediness mind you

yonder1875
02-06-2017, 09:00 AM
The league is entertaining, of that there is no doubt. In terms of ACTUAL quality though, I'm not so sure. Technically, they are miles behind Spain/Germany imo.

Look at the recent performances in Europe (Champions League) and compare to other nations. Spain always have 3 teams reaching the quarter finals, Germany 2. If you add in Europa League then that figure would double. You could say "well man utd and Liverpool reached the final the last couple years" but that's only because they've failed in their attempts to qualify for the main event via league position so cling to that as a last hope. They're close to losing their 4th place because of how poorly their clubs are performing

I was a kid that grew up "supporting" an English club, Man Utd. I'll be honest though, the older i get the less i actually give a **** about them or their football manager type league. Bang average players moving for tens of millions of pounds. It disgusts me - that's maybe coming from a position of envy. We've got football clubs like West Brom/Watford/Bournemouth (all who have made excellent progress to reach the top flight) but genuinely believing they are bigger clubs than most up here. The potential Scotland has for an excellent product is scary but wont be given a chance, partly down to our own greediness mind you

Decent post. However I do think there is some doubt in how entertaining it is, they amount of boring games I seen last season is as many as any other league. Sky sports and the British media have painted a false picture that has been getting gradually less entertaining since the mid noughties imo.

high bee
02-06-2017, 09:02 AM
I don't think millions of sky subscribers are paying subs for a history lesson! Sky can pay these stupid amounts because people like me pay over £100 a month to sky.

Are people really paying that? My internet and full package inc HD with Sky is £130 without discounts but I only pay £58 cause they give massive discounts when you are in the cancellation period.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
02-06-2017, 09:06 AM
Decent post. However I do think there is some doubt in how entertaining it is, they amount of boring games I seen last season is as many as any other league. Sky sports and the British media have painted a false picture that has been getting gradually less entertaining since the mid noughties imo.

Its not the british media that is driving this though. It is media across the world. Of course marketing has a lot to do with it, but so does big, full stadia, and quick football.

For new audiences in asia etc, fast more athletic style of english fitba is probably more accessible and entertaining than the slower more technical and less athletic football of Spain or maybe italy.

Spain also suffers from lack of impressive stadia and atmosphete at times.

But its swings and roundabouts, spain will always be limited because its league is skewed by having two versions of the harlem globetrotters, but italy will rise again eventually - for thosr of us of a certain age, italian fitba used to be untouchable, have all the big players and have small teams like Parma (read bournemouth etc) spending money top English teams could rarely match.

where'stheslope
02-06-2017, 09:15 AM
If I remember correctly, the highest paid player in the EPL is Paul Pogba and also the dearest to buy, and he is not worth half of the money paid for or to him?

All that money makes them any less cheaters?

Its all down to what they think is the best League in the world, it may have most of the best players and some of the best stadia, but as for what is played on the park, if you turn down the sound and watch the game only, it not that much better than any Scottish game in play!

Its down to how the sound is portrayed and the commentator telling you how great a move is, if done right it ups the game ten fold but the game does not change!!!!

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
02-06-2017, 09:19 AM
If I remember correctly, the highest paid player in the EPL is Paul Pogba and also the dearest to buy, and he is not worth half of the money paid for or to him?

All that money makes them any less cheaters?

Its all down to what they think is the best League in the world, it may have most of the best players and some of the best stadia, but as for what is played on the park, if you turn down the sound and watch the game only, it not that much better than any Scottish game in play!

Its down to how the sound is portrayed and the commentator telling you how great a move is, if done right it ups the game ten fold but the game does not change!!!!

Its clearly a lot better than most scottish games, because it has bettet players.

Even if what you say is true, so what? Atmosphere, setting smd crowd are a huge part of watching fitba, something scottish aithorities have never grasped.

When italian fitba was top, it was partly to do with the ultras, spectacle and atmosphere inside all those stadia that had been renovated for Italia 90.

BigKev
02-06-2017, 11:19 AM
I could count, on one hand, the number of games not involving Hibs or Scotland which have had me on the edge of my seat.

Are we saying that teams at World Cup finals are rank because the games are often less than exciting?

The World Cup games are free to view and there's no substantial rewards other than sporting achievement for the winners so not sure of the comparison?

Real v Barca games always have an edge to them as does Munich v Dortmund, the Milan derbies or either sides games v Juve. Generally far more entertainment on offer to that of the EPL.

My point is there's far more dross games in the so called best league in the world outweigh the entertaining.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
02-06-2017, 11:21 AM
Youve just picked out the absolute marquee games featuring some of the biggest clubs in the world!

BigKev
02-06-2017, 12:53 PM
Youve just picked out the absolute marquee games featuring some of the biggest clubs in the world!

That's my point. The marquee games in England are gash.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
02-06-2017, 12:54 PM
That's my point. The marquee games in England are gash.

FA cup final was brilliant.

Wembley67
02-06-2017, 12:59 PM
FA cup final was brilliant.

That's one game.

What Kev is saying is generally the marquee games in the other big European leagues are light years ahead for entertainment than the EPL big games which I agree with.

The 'world class' players only seem to shine when playing against the sides from the bottom half.

Frogga
02-06-2017, 09:55 PM
I cant connect with the English Prem any more. I'd struggle to name 10 players playing regularly for their hometown club. It's all money and fame and lights. The players don't give two ****s about their club. There's no personalities - they're all media-trained robots who aren't allowed to be themselves. I'd rather watch the English lower leagues.

jgl07
03-06-2017, 01:23 AM
So people have been saying for 25 years.

These carping comments make me want to puke. The English Premiership has been well run and well promoted.

It ain't the fault of the English Premier League that Scotland has such a crap system run initially by amateur bureaucrats like Jim Farry followed by a series of incompetents such as Neil Doncaster. They have somehow contrived (with assistance from the clubs) to keep four of the six best supported clubs outside the top Division in some cases for extended periods. They persist with a system that means that teams play each other three or four times a season even assuming they fail to draw each other in cup competitions. Then they wonder why so many matches are stale and predictable through over-familiarity.

In England, there have been nine different League Champions in the last 31 seasons (Man United, Man City, Liverpool, Everton, Chelsea, Arsenal, Leeds, Leicester, and Blackburn) representing six Cities/Towns (five different winners in the last six seasons). In Scotland there have been two League Champions (Celtic, Rangers) representing one City over the same time period.

Watch any Scottish Premiership match not involving the OF, Hearts or Aberdeen on TV (say Killie v Motherwell or Ross County v Dundee) and you will see why these matches are not likely to generate audiences.

Rather slagging off the successful EPL, maybe a few comments about how to revive the dying Scottish Premiership might be more constructive.

Pete
03-06-2017, 03:43 AM

Yes and no. A lot of people all over the world buy into the Premier league and the teams involved for the reasons I outlined and therefore pay to watch them. They also subscribe to TV channels and buy merchandise which also gives them more money. What they are also doing is slowly normalising the idea that supporting a football team is less about Geographical identity and more about freedom of choice.

To be honest if there was one league that deserves to be at the top of the world pecking order then it's the English one. In fact the whole pyramid and its culture deserves recognition and is probably second to none on so many levels. People want to be part of that.

It's so frustrating that on a cultural level, a big selling point, Scottish football is a close second yet we are in the third world as far as finances are concerned.

where'stheslope
04-06-2017, 03:49 PM
Its clearly a lot better than most scottish games, because it has bettet players.

Even if what you say is true, so what? Atmosphere, setting smd crowd are a huge part of watching fitba, something scottish aithorities have never grasped.

When italian fitba was top, it was partly to do with the ultras, spectacle and atmosphere inside all those stadia that had been renovated for Italia 90.

If you take the atmosphere at say a Rangers or Celtic Game on SKY, they are forever turning down the sound when certain chants are being sung, so this detracts from atmosphere at our games!

So who's to say they don't turn up the sound at poorer games in England to enhance the atmosphere and make it an exciting spectacle!

The authorities here have a big part to play in upping our game, but only seem to be interested in the Ugly Sisters for bigging our game?

The doing up of Stadia in this country is purely down to money, if we could get a major competition in our country it would maybe release money for upgrading our facilities, remember Easter Road is only just over 20,000 seats so would be no good in a major championships, most want 35-45,000 minimum with a large stadium for the final!

Haymaker
04-06-2017, 04:20 PM
So who's to say they don't turn up the sound at poorer games in England to enhance the atmosphere and make it an exciting spectacle!

They do.