PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: BETFRED CUP SECTION AND SEEDING CONFIRMED

RSS Bot
31-05-2017, 10:50 AM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/7576)

3pm
31-05-2017, 11:42 AM
Could be a couple of long trips in there!

Billy McKirdy
31-05-2017, 11:47 AM
So Hibs and Hearts are in the North section but Edinburgh City are in the South?
Who makes this up?

Baldy Foghorn
31-05-2017, 11:48 AM
Shambles again......

Billy Whizz
31-05-2017, 11:53 AM
Remind me, if we draw Hearts away, where will it be played?

Gorebridge Hibb
31-05-2017, 11:57 AM
Remind me, if we draw Hearts away, where will it be played?

The PBS........

Hermit Crab
31-05-2017, 06:49 PM
The PBS........

No it won't. The stand won't be ready.

we are hibs
31-05-2017, 07:04 PM
No it won't. The stand won't be ready.

yes it will. already been confirmed itll be played infront of 3 stands

Cod Boy
31-05-2017, 07:08 PM
Turned this cup into pre season friendlies group stages.

Nicho87
31-05-2017, 07:20 PM
How do they organise who plays home or away?

IanM
31-05-2017, 07:27 PM
Is it just the winner that goes through? Doesn't really give detail

PeeKay
31-05-2017, 07:49 PM
Is it just the winner that goes through? Doesn't really give detail

According to SPFL web site, eight group winners and four best runners-up go through. Joined by the four clubs involved in European competition in the second round to make up the last sixteen.

Mr White
31-05-2017, 07:55 PM
This is as good a motivation as anything to finish in a European place or win the cup next season to avoid being involved in this pointless ***** in 2018.

SteveHFC
31-05-2017, 07:57 PM
Hearts
Brechin
Elgin
Buckie

Please.

Nakedmanoncrack
31-05-2017, 07:57 PM
1 in 4 chance of a summer derby.

Waxy
31-05-2017, 08:01 PM
Just put it back to how it was before. If you want to freshen it up invite all the highland and lowland league teams in from the start.

tamig
31-05-2017, 08:29 PM
This is as good a motivation as anything to finish in a European place or win the cup next season to avoid being involved in this pointless ***** in 2018.

Lol. And a lot of folk have been crying out for the League Cup to be revamped for years. I'm glad we're involved. A bit of meaningful pre-season competition and a chance to maybe go to some grounds we haven't been to in years.

tamig
31-05-2017, 08:31 PM
yes it will. already been confirmed itll be played infront of 3 stands

Is there no issue with their pitch being ready in time? Where has it been said they'll be playing League Cup ties there?

Mr White
31-05-2017, 08:36 PM
Lol. And a lot of folk have been crying out for the League Cup to be revamped for years. I'm glad we're involved. A bit of meaningful pre-season competition and a chance to maybe go to some grounds we haven't been to in years.

I look through that list of teams and see that celtc, st j, the dons and sevco aren't there are feel we've been chucked in with the dross tbh. I'd much rather give it a miss and while people may well have been crying out or otherwise longing for the return of regional group league cup matches I've never been one of that number.

I would have thought most hibbies will have seen enough of lower league grounds in the last 3 seasons to want to avoid being involved in this given the alternative is the prize of success and a chance to play in a decent stadium in Europe like we did last season.

tamig
31-05-2017, 08:44 PM
I look through that list of teams and see that celtc, st j, the dons and sevco aren't there are feel we've been chucked in with the dross tbh. I'd much rather give it a miss and while people may well have been crying out or otherwise longing for the return of regional group league cup matches I've never been one of that number.

I would have thought most hibbies will have seen enough of lower league grounds in the last 3 seasons to want to avoid being involved in this given the alternative is the prize of success and a chance to play in a decent stadium in Europe like we did last season.
The only way we could have done that would have been by retaining the cup. That was always going to be a big ask. Anyway, we'll agree to disagree. We missed out on the League Cup sections last season but I can't wait for the new season to start. If that means trips to some far flung outpost in high summer, bring it on.

Mr White
31-05-2017, 08:48 PM
The only way we could have done that would have been by retaining the cup. That was always going to be a big ask. Anyway, we'll agree to disagree. We missed out on the League Cup sections last season but I can't wait for the new season to start. If that means trips to some far flung outpost in high summer, bring it on.

So as I said initially (before your LOL moment) I'm hoping we won't be involved in 2018. Of course it's unavoidable this season but I'm hoping instead for European football next time around on the back of a successful 17/18 league and or cup campaign.

danhibees1875
01-06-2017, 06:08 AM
I don't really understand why people are moaning about this - other than just to moan at the sfa for whatever they do.

Looking forward to the draw! Hopefully we get Dundee, East Fife, and cowdenbeath. Should give us the best chance to progress without having to travel too far! Shame I'll miss most of the matches.

SChibs
01-06-2017, 06:33 AM

I don't think the OP is saying he'd rather be in the league cup group stages than the europa league

Topographic Hibby
01-06-2017, 07:52 AM
Don't see what all the fuss is about. It's seeded groups and that's all. The problem is calling them North, South or even East, West. There are always going to be teams that don't quite align to the descriptions or teams from the same city/area that are in different groups.

Should have been called Group A or B etc, made up up from "approximate regional groupings" or other fancy wording.

Still have the chance of an early Derby, so bring it on!!!

Cameron1875
01-06-2017, 07:59 AM
Buckie or Elgin away on a Saturday in July would be a nice wee trip up.:party:

Mr White
01-06-2017, 08:20 AM
I don't think the OP is saying he'd rather be in the league cup group stages than the europa league

I don't think he was either. I was just explaining why I'd rather we weren't involved in avoidable and in my view pointless games against lower league opposition. If we get a derby out of it I'll probably look at it a bit differently though tbh.

Billy Whizz
01-06-2017, 08:24 AM
I don't think he was either. I was just explaining why I'd rather we weren't involved in avoidable and in my view pointless games against lower league opposition. If we get a derby out of it I'll probably look at it a bit differently though tbh.

Not really sure I want a Derby this early to be honest

ElginHibbie
01-06-2017, 08:34 AM

The aim should always be for Europe, so yes we should be looking to avoid these games.

But I don't agree they are pointless when it is one of two competitions we have realistic chance of winning. Last season 3 premiership teams didn't get out of this stage, and if we do that this year I know I won't be happy, and sure I won't be in the minority

Mr White
01-06-2017, 08:52 AM
The aim should always be for Europe, so yes we should be looking to avoid these games.

But I don't agree they are pointless when it is one of two competitions we have realistic chance of winning. Last season 3 premiership teams didn't get out of this stage, and if we do that this year I know I won't be happy, and sure I won't be in the minority

Which is another reason I don't like the new format. In previous seasons as a top flight club we only needed to win one game against lower league opposition to reach the last 16 of a cup that I'd love to see us win again. Now we have to play 4 games and it's a lot harder to progress. Overall I'd be happier for a number of reasons if we weren't involved and as i said last night here's hoping we aren't in it next season.

Edit- I agree they're not pointless that was a poor choice of words. Unnecessary is a better description I think.

ElginHibbie
01-06-2017, 09:37 AM
Which is another reason I don't like the new format. In previous seasons as a top flight club we only needed to win one game against lower league opposition to reach the last 16 of a cup that I'd love to see us win again. Now we have to play 4 games and it's a lot harder to progress. Overall I'd be happier for a number of reasons if we weren't involved and as i said last night here's hoping we aren't in it next season.

Edit- I agree they're not pointless that was a poor choice of words. Unnecessary is a better description I think.

I am a fan of the format, but I am probably looking it more from an Elgin City point of view, guaranteed visit from a "big" club, replaces some of usually tedious friendlies and more chance of getting a shock victory at start of season, though season before last Elgin did beat a Hearts XI 5-1 so that was a fun day :greengrin

Though I can see where you are coming from, bigger clubs are the ones losing out, more so Hibs and Hearts being "North" clubs. But alternative would be making the draw lopsided and lower league teams being top seeds in one section while premiership teams are second seeds in another, SPFL can't win.

Not In The Know
01-06-2017, 10:05 AM
1 in 4 chance of a summer derby.

1 in 3 :wink: