PDA

View Full Version : Derek Neilson RIP (ex Meadowbank and Brechin)

hibeg
30-05-2017, 12:11 PM
It is with regret that I write that Derek passed away suddenly on Friday at the age of 58

Some may remember Derek as the goalkeeper at Brechin, Berwick and Meadowbank in the 70s and early 80s, he was also signed to Dundee Utd under Jim Mclean in his younger days, and had some great stories to tell !!!

Derek was a Hibs fanatic and season ticket holder who loved nothing better than watching the Hibees, and he was there on 21 May last year for our greatest day.

He was a great guy, nothing was too much trouble for him and he will be sadly missed by many. He had his own health issues but he always said there were others a lot worse off than him.

Rest in Peace Derek mate, taken far too young, I'm sure you will be watching the Hibees next season from high above.

NthCarolinaHibs
30-05-2017, 12:15 PM
Sad news...RIP Derek..

O'Rourke3
30-05-2017, 12:48 PM
Always sad to hear of someone passing so early and before their time. RIP Derek.

Penicuik Hibee
30-05-2017, 01:23 PM
Derek used to help out with the boys club I played with. Can't remember now if it was Gracemount Rovers or Liberton Boys club. But he was superb with us and a great guy. Very sad to read about this. RIP Derek

Eaststand
30-05-2017, 01:28 PM
It is with regret that I write that Derek passed away suddenly on Friday at the age of 58

Some may remember Derek as the goalkeeper at Brechin and Meadowbank in the 70s and early 80s, he was also signed to Dundee Utd under Jim Mclean in his younger days, and had some great stories to tell !!!

Derek was a Hibs fanatic and season ticket holder who loved nothing better than watching the Hibees, and he was there on 21 May last year for our greatest day.

He was a great guy, nothing was too much trouble for him and he will be sadly missed by many. He had his own health issues but he always said there were others a lot worse off than him.

Rest in Peace Derek mate, taken far too young, I'm sure you will be watching the Hibees next season from high above.

RIP Derek
A great Hibby and one of Gracemount's finest
A smashing guy, from a lovely family. His Mum and Dad were great friends of my parents. Can you please keep me posted about when his funeral is to be, thanks

GGTTH

CMurdoch
30-05-2017, 02:12 PM
Derek played a lot of games for Brechin and Berwick Rangers.
A year older than me and many years to soon.
Sad news.

hibeg
30-05-2017, 03:57 PM
Derek played a lot of games for Brechin and Berwick Rangers.
A year older than me and many years to soon.
Sad news.

No idea why I didn't include Berwick on his list of clubs, as you say he played many times for them.

hibeg
30-05-2017, 03:58 PM
RIP Derek
A great Hibby and one of Gracemount's finest
A smashing guy, from a lovely family. His Mum and Dad were great friends of my parents. Can you please keep me posted about when his funeral is to be, thanks

GGTTH

Will do Eaststand

Eaststand
30-05-2017, 06:43 PM
Will do Eaststand

Cheers
GGTTH

berwickhibee
30-05-2017, 07:02 PM

Some may remember Derek as the goalkeeper at Brechin, Berwick and Meadowbank in the 70s and early 80s, he was also signed to Dundee Utd under Jim Mclean in his younger days, and had some great stories to tell !!!

Gutted by this,derek was a gent. Got to know him when he played for Berwick,remember travelling to Whitley bay to watch Berwick in a pre season game,I had my Hibs top on and he came right across,I ended the season sponsoring his boots in the Berwick rangers programme. Always had a good crack with him when I seen him at Easter road. Rip derek.

Eaststand
01-06-2017, 01:47 PM
Will do Eaststand

Any word on this yet Hibeg ?

GGTTH

hibeg
01-06-2017, 03:18 PM
Sorry Eaststand no news yet. I spoke to his brother Iain but it may be over a week.

hibeg
03-06-2017, 06:10 AM
Hi Eaststand. It's Friday 10am at Mortonhall

Eaststand
03-06-2017, 07:45 AM
Hi Eaststand. It's Friday 10am at Mortonhall

Thanks very much for that Hibeg, I'll be there

GGTTH

inglisavhibs
09-06-2017, 01:14 PM
Thanks very much for that Hibeg, I'll be there

GGTTH
Lovely service for Derek this morning and a great turnout as expected. Many of us in green as requested! R.I.P

Eaststand
09-06-2017, 02:25 PM
Lovely service for Derek this morning and a great turnout as expected. Many of us in green as requested! R.I.P

Yep, a great turnout for a great fella

GGTTH