PDA

View Full Version : Steven Whittaker

Lee Marvin
30-05-2017, 10:18 AM
Being discussed heavily over on Brokeback that it is between Hibs and Hearts for his signature.

Has anyone got any info on this one from our side?

If we sign Ambrose, I don't think we need him. However, I would rather sign Whittaker for a couple of years than Ambrose for 6months - 1 year (as has been reported). Ambrose would be preferable on the same length of contract, however.

Hopefully does not sign for them if Hibs decide against it.

The Leith Dutch
30-05-2017, 10:42 AM
Being discussed heavily over on Brokeback that it is between Hibs and Hearts for his signature.

If we sign Ambrose, I don't think we need him. However, I would rather sign Whittaker for a couple of years than Ambrose for 6months - 1 year (as has been reported). Ambrose would be preferable on the same length of contract, however.

Can't see us signing him with Gray resigning.
Reasons: I don't think either would be a back up and I can't see us playing both in the same team.

I might be wrong and he might be looking either at Whittaker as full fledged right midfielder or he may intend to swap between an attacking 3-5-2 with some wide defensive cover and a flat back 4 or back 5 with Gray / Stevenson.

I'd be surprised if we did without that being in any way a criticism of Whittaker.

The_Exile
30-05-2017, 12:01 PM
Can't see us signing him with Gray resigning.
Reasons: I don't think either would be a back up and I can't see us playing both in the same team.

Nothing wrong with having 2 strong players for the position, hoping to have a couple of long cup runs next year so plenty game time for both of them.

.Sean.
30-05-2017, 12:02 PM
I'd like to sign him but wouldn't be surprised to see him go to Hearts with Gray being our established right back and him being a Jambo.

scoopyboy
30-05-2017, 12:05 PM
I'd like to sign him but wouldn't be surprised to see him go to Hearts with Gray being our established right back and him being a Jambo.

I'm the same.

Baader
30-05-2017, 12:20 PM
Like Whittaker but not sure where he fits into the side.

Are the Gorgie mob in for him because we are? If so we should start sounding out some real dross.

The Leith Dutch
30-05-2017, 12:20 PM
Nothing wrong with having 2 strong players for the position, hoping to have a couple of long cup runs next year so plenty game time for both of them.

Was more meaning from their point of view.
If both of them want to be a first choice for the team I think it's unlikely they'd both sign given one of them won't be.

aussie_hibee
30-05-2017, 12:30 PM
Better than both gray and Stevenson and can play both sides

And midfield. Great addition and hope we get him.

IMHO of course.

KeithTheHibby
30-05-2017, 12:34 PM
I don't really think we need Whittaker.

The yams on the other hand do.

number9dream
30-05-2017, 12:37 PM
I'd say Whittaker is technically a far superior player to Gray - good with both feet, can deliver a good cross, a good shot and is more composed on the ball.
Sir David is a more committed defender and well... he's Sir David!

Definitely room for them both, if we can afford it. Whittaker can play at right and left back and could do a job at right and central midfield.
We don't have money to throw about though, so it might mean our priorities lie elsewhere.
Would be a bit gutted to see him playing for Hearts.

Thecat23
30-05-2017, 12:41 PM
Whitty will want first team football. Hearts can offer him that where as Hibs can't. Really up to him now though.

Golden Bear
30-05-2017, 12:44 PM
Better than both gray and Stevenson and can play both sides

And midfield. Great addition and hope we get him.

IMHO of course.

:agree:

Good points.

Andy74
30-05-2017, 12:49 PM
Whitty will want first team football. Hearts can offer him that where as Hibs can't. Really up to him now though.

Whittaker could easily be first choice wide right where Humphrey had been playing when selected.

Big L
30-05-2017, 01:00 PM
Whittaker could easily be first choice wide right where Humphrey had been playing when selected.

He was a midfielder when he cane thru at Hibs but found It hard to get in the team for Brown & Thomson. Maybe Lennon fancies playing him there!.

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-05-2017, 01:10 PM

I thought he was much better going forward than defending (often caught out by long passes in behind him) when he was last here, would be more than happy to have him back in the midfield as opposed to as a full back.

thebakerboy
30-05-2017, 01:18 PM
Whitty is a very good player who can play almost anywhere in the team , just because he started out at RB doesnt mean he couldnt play in a number of positions and would be an excellent signing for us.Most of his family are strong Jambos but he does have a Hibby grandad so that could help.

Deansy
30-05-2017, 01:22 PM

We're wasting our time according to one Muppet over on 'Throwback -

'we are a far better proposition than the hobos, based on other things rather than things that 'seem .Our stadium, support and training facilities piss all over Hibs and these things are far better propositions than the seemingly good banter that you seem to think they have'

Shame the Muppet's completely wrong in every area -

1) Stadium - The PBS would need to be completely demolished and re-built with a budget that only Abramovich could afford before that hovel would come anywhere near ER !. Their new main-stand (which they DON'T have the money for) will be a crappy, cheap, completely underwhelming single-tier effort ! Plus even after their stand is built, ER will still have the larger capacity, a fact that's still to be mentioned by anyone of a Maroon persuasion !

2) Support - When the atmosphere your support creates is likened to a 'Library' (as confirmed by numerous threads on 'Throwback), you're just asking to be shot down !

3) Training-facilities - where do you start - Oh yes, that's right - Hearts DON'T have any !. They rent (allegedly - still to be confirmed if payements are being made) Heriot-Watt's purpose-built facilities !

There's quite a few posts saying we'd be favourite to sign Whittaker as we are the better team at the moment due to the 'Feelgood-factor' and a 'Together Dressing-room' but as usual, another Muppet arrives to correct them all with his 'Inside-knowledge' -

'Heard there was a massive fallout after the cup semi which apparently carried onto the player of the year awards'

Fairly certain the only 'Fallout' at the POTY awards was with 'Dynamic Earth's mangement and an (now ex) Jambo-employee (called 'Bowie' !) who got his photo taken doing the 5-1 with Neil Lennon and was promtly bulleted !

Stevie Reid
30-05-2017, 01:24 PM

Yep. If we were to sign him I would expect him to start the season in the first eleven.

hibees 7062
30-05-2017, 01:26 PM

Play him left back then

allezsauzee
30-05-2017, 01:30 PM
i can only imagine that some people are suggesting that he wouldn't be a first choice selection in case Hearts sign him! He would be an excellent signing and one of the first names on the team sheet for either side.

Stevie Reid
30-05-2017, 01:30 PM
40 career goals for Whittaker as well, could be another valuable source of a few for us.

southsider
30-05-2017, 01:31 PM
Whit's goes to talk to NL. Thinks "here is a guy who had played & coached at a really high level, talks my language". Then goes to the half-built pbs and talks to Catro. This "FFS I'm older than him and he talks like ....jibberish".

CMurdoch
30-05-2017, 01:33 PM
33 years old in a couple of weeks and has only played 20 games in the last 2 seasons
Would still be a good addition for Hibs on a 2 year contract but a small part of me would like to see Hearts sign him and thereby burn a second large chunk of their budget after the one pushed Berra's way.

.Sean.
30-05-2017, 01:37 PM
To be fair Hibs can offer him first team football - it's up to him to earn his place and consolidate it, like everyone else.

anon1875
30-05-2017, 01:38 PM
David Gray for me because he's in his prime.

Thecat23
30-05-2017, 01:47 PM
To be fair Hibs can offer him first team football - it's up to him to earn his place and consolidate it, like everyone else.

That's what I'm saying, he would know coming here he wouldn't just play for the sake of it. Where as if he went to Hearts he'd be first pick every week unless injured. They are a gang compared to us.

Thecat23
30-05-2017, 01:49 PM

That's actually not a bad shout. But has he the legs Andy? I'd like someone younger in that position but that's just me.

CRAZYHIBBY
30-05-2017, 03:16 PM
Going to hearts along with scott allan stefan skooogull and alan mcgregor according to some on sickbag

Thecat23
30-05-2017, 03:20 PM
Going to hearts along with scott allan stefan skooogull and alan mcgregor according to some on sickbag

So is Messi, Ronaldo and Cummings.

Bostonhibby
30-05-2017, 03:35 PM
Maybe the yam are after Roger Whittaker? Right age group, not bad on the flute and in a poor light looks a bit like Rolf Harris😉

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

--------
30-05-2017, 03:37 PM
i can only imagine that some people are suggesting that he wouldn't be a first choice selection in case Hearts sign him! He would be an excellent signing and one of the first names on the team sheet for either side.

:agree:

CropleyWasGod
30-05-2017, 03:39 PM
Maybe the yam are after Roger Whittaker? Right age group, not bad on the flute and in a poor light looks a bit like Rolf Harris😉

Nah, he'll never leave Durham Town.

SirDavidsNapper
30-05-2017, 03:40 PM
Would be a better signing for Hearts than be would be for Hibs

hibees 7062
30-05-2017, 03:46 PM

Coming up here

Bostonhibby
30-05-2017, 03:48 PM
Everybody wants to play for the famous, so maybe he'll fancy the last farewell?

HoboHarry
30-05-2017, 03:49 PM
He does leave every weekend - heads for the Streets of London......

Jack Hackett
30-05-2017, 03:50 PM
As others have pointed out, the guy is versatile. He could play in whatever formation NL decides on week on week. He can also cover any mid/back positions when injuries strike... and he knows where the goal is. I would also prefer him to be playing for us than against us.

Kato
30-05-2017, 04:00 PM
Maybe the yam are after Roger Whittaker? Right age group, not bad on the flute and in a poor light looks a bit like Rolf Harris��

They can whistle if they think Roger would sign for them.

HIBERNIAN-0762
30-05-2017, 05:07 PM
The stupid pink pricks don't have any money, unless there is a cake baking and face painting competition that will bring in millions.

Fanforlife
31-05-2017, 01:30 PM

'we are a far better proposition than the hobos, based on other things rather than things that 'seem .Our stadium, support and training facilities piss all over Hibs and these things are far better propositions than the seemingly good banter that you seem to think they have'

1) Stadium - The PBS would need to be completely demolished and re-built with a budget that only Abramovich could afford before that hovel would come anywhere near ER !. Their new main-stand (which they DON'T have the money for) will be a crappy, cheap, completely underwhelming single-tier effort ! Plus even after their stand is built, ER will still have the larger capacity, a fact that's still to be mentioned by anyone of a Maroon persuasion !

2) Support - When the atmosphere your support creates is likened to a 'Library' (as confirmed by numerous threads on 'Throwback), you're just asking to be shot down !

3) Training-facilities - where do you start - Oh yes, that's right - Hearts DON'T have any !. They rent (allegedly - still to be confirmed if payements are being made) Heriot-Watt's purpose-built facilities !

There's quite a few posts saying we'd be favourite to sign Whittaker as we are the better team at the moment due to the 'Feelgood-factor' and a 'Together Dressing-room' but as usual, another Muppet arrives to correct them all with his 'Inside-knowledge' -

'Heard there was a massive fallout after the cup semi which apparently carried onto the player of the year awards'

Fairly certain the only 'Fallout' at the POTY awards was with 'Dynamic Earth's mangement and an (now ex) Jambo-employee (called 'Bowie' !) who got his photo taken doing the 5-1 with Neil Lennon and was promtly bulleted !Delusions of grandeur still alive and well with the puddle drinkers I see, my son in law is through his sfa employment is a regular visitor to the oriam training complex and tells me that the vermin still have to leave the better training facilities when students turn up for courses or private hire,s. You genuinely could not mark the vermin,s knecks with a blowtorch. 😁

oneone73
31-05-2017, 01:48 PM
Delusions of grandeur still alive and well with the puddle drinkers I see, my son in law is through his sfa employment is a regular visitor to the oriam training complex and tells me that the vermin still have to leave the better training facilities when students turn up for courses or private hire,s. You genuinely could not mark the vermin,s knecks with a blowtorch. 😁

Vermin? Jeezo.

CockneyRebel
31-05-2017, 02:02 PM
Vermin? Jeezo.

Well they started it.

Fanforlife
31-05-2017, 02:18 PM
Vermin? Jeezo.

Mild in regards to what I really think of them. Don't forget they reciprocate in comments similar so I will not be losing sleep on a jeezo!!! 😁

SirDavidsNapper
31-05-2017, 02:21 PM

Fairly certain the only 'Fallout' at the POTY awards was with 'Dynamic Earth's mangement and an (now ex) Jambo-employee (called 'Bowie' !) who got his photo taken doing the 5-1 with Neil Lennon and was promtly bulleted !

Yes but they will have the biggest stand in Edinburgh football (albeit in the smallest stadium) and also have the largest glass curtain wall in Scotland. Those things won't be missed by Whittaker.

Phil MaGlass
31-05-2017, 02:23 PM
Yes but they will have the biggest stand in Edinburgh football (albeit in the smallest stadium) and also have the largest glass curtain wall in Scotland. Those things won't be missed by Whittaker.

and chips

snooky
31-05-2017, 02:25 PM
As others have pointed out, the guy is versatile. He could play in whatever formation NL decides on week on week. He can also cover any mid/back positions when injuries strike... and he knows where the goal is. I would also prefer him to be playing for us than against us.

It would be great to have a 'Paul-Madeley-esque' player on our books.
I've never been a fan of SW in defence however, he is an experienced player and is good going forward.

Ozyhibby
31-05-2017, 02:58 PM
Whittaker was a decent player but there is no way I would get into a bidding war for him. If he's available at a price we can afford then got for it but if the yams want to pay more then let them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slavers
31-05-2017, 03:13 PM
As much as id like to see Whittaker back in a Hibs strip I wouldn't pay a lot of money on him to do so. Id much rather we find the next Whittaker.

But with us showing interest at least Hearts will have to up their bid for him.

Cathro or Lennon to me it's an easy choice for him to make.

Stevie Reid
31-05-2017, 03:20 PM
Whittaker was a decent player but there is no way I would get into a bidding war for him. If he's available at a price we can afford then got for it but if the yams want to pay more then let them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure that's exactly how it will play out, should they want to pay more.

FWIW, Whittaker was a more than decent player. He was an excellent players for us, and a very good player for Rangers.

.Sean.
31-05-2017, 07:20 PM
and chips
Seen this chips thing mentioned a couple times what have I missed?

Nicho87
31-05-2017, 07:24 PM
Hearts will no doubt end up paying more than they originally budgeted for him as they will see it as a statement of intent by offering more money than us. Teresa Budge

Eyrie
31-05-2017, 07:32 PM

It seems that there is a new culinary invention on offer at the PBS called "chips". Never heard of this concept until now so I don't know what we've missed out on, but judging by the maroon hype we are going to be missing out big time :boo hoo:

Bostonhibby
31-05-2017, 07:37 PM
Mrs Budge, in one of her tablets of stone from the mount, has announced that when the new megasuperstand is built they will be selling a fried potato based product known as chips. A real innovation.

Am guessing it was worth announcing in this way as they're ahead of the rest of Scotland as far as fried products are concerned.

If they discover a savoury tasting liquid available in red and brown to put on the chips I can see them being restored to their rightful place as saviour of the Scottish nation and everyone will forgive them for stealing from the lady Haig Poppy Fund and the Macraes Battalion Trust.

Hope this helps.

tamig
31-05-2017, 08:22 PM

Have a laugh at this pish. See if you can find many spelling mistakes too. Don't miss the chips though 👍

http://seasontickets.heartsfc.co.uk/

SuperAllyMcleod
31-05-2017, 08:24 PM

I couldn't resist screenshotting their 'proclamation' - chips are explained at the bottom [emoji3]
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170531/05942ced237da6d422638a05be468135.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170531/14e30220b40703cb71c7308241e9471f.jpg

Sioux
31-05-2017, 08:41 PM
The new stand frontage has all the hallmarks of greenhouse! The gorgie GREENhouse. Could catch on.:greengrin

Kato
31-05-2017, 09:11 PM
The new stand frontage has all the hallmarks of greenhouse! The gorgie GREENhouse. Could catch on.:greengrin

Gets roasting in those buildings, they could have a cabbage patch.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
31-05-2017, 09:24 PM
I couldn't resist screenshotting their 'proclamation' - chips are explained at the bottom [emoji3]
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170531/05942ced237da6d422638a05be468135.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170531/14e30220b40703cb71c7308241e9471f.jpg

I feel scottish football has been missing decent glass curtain walls. Its clearly one of the things holding us back.

mca
31-05-2017, 09:45 PM
33 years old in a couple of weeks and has only played 20 games in the last 2 seasons
Would still be a good addition for Hibs on a 2 year contract but a small part of me would like to see Hearts sign him and thereby burn a second large chunk of their budget after the one pushed Berra's way.

:thumbsup:

dchibs
01-06-2017, 08:17 AM
[QUOTE=Bostonhibby;5057735]Mrs Budge, in one of her tablets of stone from the mount, has announced that when the new megasuperstand is built they will be selling a fried potato based product known as chips. A real innovation.

Am guessing it was worth announcing in this way as they're ahead of the rest of Scotland as far as fried products are concerned.

If they discover a savoury tasting liquid available in red and brown to put on the chips I can see them being restored to their rightful place as saviour of the Scottish nation and everyone will forgive them for stealing from the lady Haig Poppy Fund and the Macraes Battalion Trust.

Hope this helps.
I'm sure they allredy have the brown sauce the used it in the ER toiles a while ago.
Sent from my SM

theonlywayisup
01-06-2017, 05:52 PM

Stadium Capacity up 15% - that would make 20,033 based on current 17,420.

It would have to increase by over 17% to reach our reported capacity of 20,421.

Viva_Palmeiras
01-06-2017, 06:03 PM

15 they get so fixated with that number they fail to see the bigger picture.
In time people will spew when they see infographics.

SirDavidsNapper
01-06-2017, 06:04 PM

Really is a cringy advert 🙈

Jack Hackett
01-06-2017, 06:27 PM
Really is a cringy advert 🙈

... from a desperately cringy club :lolyam:

Keyser Sauzee
01-06-2017, 06:33 PM
Is this thread really about Steven Whittaker..........😂

gramskiwood
01-06-2017, 06:34 PM
Largest glass curtain wall in Scottish football dontcha know.:faf:

Viva_Palmeiras
01-06-2017, 06:41 PM
New Capacity for naivety - 15% of direct debtors own non-existent share certificates
330 new exhibits retrieved from the pitch at Dens in 86
A new Budgie façade to replace the one Romanov left
The largest superiority complex in Scottish Football
A gramaphone record with the only song preserved out a decimated songbook repertoire.
9000 planks - a dedicated band of numpties holding up he belief that Hearts were instrumental in the war effort above all other clubs
Vacant - the new concourse space will match the managerial position in 2018.
Matching chip on both shoulders will be served to the Jambo faithful yet to be "chipped"...

staunchhibby
01-06-2017, 06:45 PM
Thought this was a Steven Whittaker thread😪😪

Crazyhorse
01-06-2017, 09:07 PM

They have at various times confirmed publicly the capacity of each stand, including the new one. The total adds up to just under 19,900. They will probably try to manipulate this figure for their lumpenfuds (indeed this is what they are doing here) but if they had any chance of achieving a bigger capacity than Easter Road it would be highlighted on every statement issued by the club since they started on the 4th bus shelter.

Not In The Know
02-06-2017, 06:25 AM
interesting comment from Kevin Thomson in the Scotsman article about Ambrose. Talk turns to the squad in general and He says "if the Whitty deal goes through". The two are mates so that must indicate there is serious discussions going on between Hibs and the player.

Keyser Sauzee
02-06-2017, 07:40 AM
interesting comment from Kevin Thomson in the Scotsman article about Ambrose. Talk turns to the squad in general and He says "if the Whitty deal goes through". The two are mates so that must indicate there is serious discussions going on between Hibs and the player.

I hear Thomson is being considered for the East Fife job

InchHibby
02-06-2017, 07:53 AM
Stephen Whitaker would be a tremendous addition to the squad.
Between him, Stokesy and dare I say, the man that can deliver, what a pool of players we'd have for next season.
Get those season tickets snapped up, lets fill this place, it'll be so much warmer in the winter.:thumbsup:

Not In The Know
02-06-2017, 08:13 AM
Largest glass curtain wall in Scottish football dontcha know.:faf:

A curtain wall system is an outer covering of a building in which the outer walls are non-structural, but merely keep the weather out and the occupants in. As the curtain wall is non-structural it can be made of a lightweight material, reducing construction costs.

Curtain wall (architecture) - Wikipedia (https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0ahUKEwj97Nm9257UAhVIJlAKHR8nCg4QFggwMAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FCurtai n_wall_(architecture)&usg=AFQjCNHnpfxHLevjycfuamdpRZP_vt6jvA&sig2=TmGPn9cLaxzX9CUlL9-gRA)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtain_wall_(architecture)

Viva_Palmeiras
02-06-2017, 08:27 AM
Or establishing clickbait from a newish columnist at a struggling publication? Interesting read regardless lot more time for KT good acquisition for the Scotsman.