On BBC2 just now. Great football film.

Ronniekirk
28-05-2017, 10:00 PM
On BBC2 just now. Great football film.

Book by David Peace is good if you like his style of writing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heisenberg
28-05-2017, 10:02 PM
It really is very good. Michael Sheen does a brilliant job as Brian Clough.

col02
28-05-2017, 10:05 PM
Crazy to think the player power at Leeds United saw them down tools under Clough. Brilliant movie well played by Michael Sheen.

iwasthere1972
28-05-2017, 10:10 PM
Excellent. Seen it ages ago.

ian cruise
28-05-2017, 10:28 PM
Brilliant, love it. Thanks for the heads up.

neil7908
28-05-2017, 10:34 PM
Excellent book and would also recommend Red or Dead by Peace. The writing style puts some off but I've read a few of his books and really enjoyed them all.

delbert
29-05-2017, 07:49 AM
Crazy to think the player power at Leeds United saw them down tools under Clough. Brilliant movie well played by Martin Sheen.

Yeh, Clough nearly brought an Apocalypse Now at Elland Road although I still think he should have played Eddie Gray out on the West Wing !!

Ray_
29-05-2017, 09:07 AM
Barbara [Clough] and the rest of the family were unimpressed, to say the least, about the book, although the film was tempered down a fair bit.

History shows Leeds went on to lose the 1975 European Cup final and then gradually fade in to the lower leagues, apart from that brief flirtation with the top flight and champions league, the cost of which almost saw the club go under.

Brain Clough's immediate history after that was winning the top flight and consecutive European and domestic cup successes.

SouthMoroccoStu
29-05-2017, 09:20 AM
Away at a gig in Leeds and watched the tail end when I got back to the hotel

Not interesting just fitting

(My story not the film)

mjhibby
29-05-2017, 09:24 AM
I've recorded it and will watch it later. I thoroughly enjoyed I believe in miracles so hopefully it will be as good as that.

G B Young
29-05-2017, 10:03 AM
Like Clough, Jock Stein subsequently only lasted 44 days as Leeds manager. Not sure if that was because he took the Scotland job or whether he was sacked, but I think his time there was difficult. I seem to recall he was involved in a car crash towards the end of his time at Celtic and was never really the same manager afterwards.

Leeds did OK post-Clough, remaining a top ten club for a number of years and it was only in the early 80s that they fell away really badly. Howard Wilkinson, with Strachan as captain, revitalised them and their current long exile from the top flight came about after their financial implosion about a decade ago.

KSA Hibee
29-05-2017, 10:19 AM
I also enjoyed watching it ... never liked Leeds or Bremner after seeing them beat us at ER in my youth. I recall leaning on the pitch side wall, Dunbar end. Jesus those were great days to follow the cabbage.

My main memory of the film was the level of the Scottish talent in the English teams of that era ... sadly something we will never see again.

Smartie
29-05-2017, 10:46 AM
They're a pretty unique club Leeds.

It is easy to dislike them on a number of levels. The history of bending the rules, aggressive play on the park. The number of animals who support them off the park.

I went out with a quite magnificent Yorkshire lass about 20 years ago and her whole family supported Leeds and had season tickets. They are some of the best people you could ever hope to meet and were very welcoming of this young Scottish lad.

They were very passionate and partizan about their football though I don't think I'd have got over the front door if I had any fondness for Man Utd.

NAE NOOKIE
29-05-2017, 11:33 AM
I also enjoyed watching it ... never liked Leeds or Bremner after seeing them beat us at ER in my youth. I recall leaning on the pitch side wall, Dunbar end. Jesus those were great days to follow the cabbage.

My main memory of the film was the level of the Scottish talent in the English teams of that era ... sadly something we will never see again.

I watched the highlights of the Leeds v Sunderland FA cup final on i player a couple of days ago ..... If that game had been played today both teams would have finished with about 7 men each ... it was impressive to be reminded what a dirty wee bassa Bremner was :greengrin

Ray_
29-05-2017, 11:34 AM
Like Clough, Jock Stein subsequently only lasted 44 days as Leeds manager. Not sure if that was because he took the Scotland job or whether he was sacked, but I think his time there was difficult. I seem to recall he was involved in a car crash towards the end of his time at Celtic and was never really the same manager afterwards.

Leeds did OK post-Clough, remaining a top ten club for a number of years and it was only in the early 80s that they fell away really badly. Howard Wilkinson, with Strachan as captain, revitalised them and their current long exile from the top flight came about after their financial implosion about a decade ago.

They were a fabulous team during the Revie era and had a superb final season [the year they played us] and it was near the end of February when they eventually was beaten. They had consistently been the team to beat in England, during the late sixties until the mid-seventies, when Liverpool took over that particular mantel while Leeds, as you said, dropped to a top ten club, but no longer a contender at the top of English football. Stein was looked upon as the guy who would take them back to the top, but left for the Scotland gig.

LancashireHibby
29-05-2017, 08:24 PM
Barbara [Clough] and the rest of the family were unimpressed, to say the least, about the book, although the film was tempered down a fair bit.

History shows Leeds went on to lose the 1975 European Cup final and then gradually fade in to the lower leagues, apart from that brief flirtation with the top flight and champions league, the cost of which almost saw the club go under.

I'm no fan of Leeds - far from it, in fact - but I'm sure their title winning side of 1991/92 would suggest they managed a little more than a 'brief flirtation' with the top flight.

jgl07
29-05-2017, 11:46 PM
They were a fabulous team during the Revie era and had a superb final season [the year they played us] and it was near the end of February when they eventually was beaten. They had consistently been the team to beat in England, during the late sixties until the mid-seventies, when Liverpool took over that particular mantel while Leeds, as you said, dropped to a top ten club, but no longer a contender at the top of English football. Stein was looked upon as the guy who would take them back to the top, but left for the Scotland gig.
After Revie left, it became obvious to Clough that the team needed to be changed. The player power stopped that happening. Leeds appointed first Jimmy Armfield and after Stein, Jimmy Adamson. Both Armfield and Adamson seemed to have a brief to cut costs and the club was no longer a genuine title contender.

After that Leeds went through a cycle of appointing club legends: Allan Clarke, Eddie Gray and Billy Bremner. Hibs have been there too! This nearly consigned them to the Third Division before Howard Wilkinson came in and gained promotion before becoming the final winner of the old First Division. Subsequently George Graham and David O'Leary kept Leeds in the top five.

It transpired that Leeds under Peter Risdale, were budgeting to make the Quarter Finals of the Champions League each year. This didn't happen and they failed to qualify for the CL two years in a row and the finances rapidly unravelled. They eventually nearly went through a Rangers style insolvency event but managed to preserve their League status after the EFL ignored its own rules.

hibsbollah
30-05-2017, 10:49 AM

Brain Clough's immediate history after that was winning the top flight and consecutive European and domestic cup successes.

I think Mrs Clough was unhappy about the fairly unsubtle suggestion of homo eroticism between Clough and Taylor portrayed in the film. Pretty much an open secret that Clough was probably gay but hardly surprising that Mrs Clough disliked the portrayal.

Dan Sarf
30-05-2017, 11:20 AM
I think Mrs Clough was unhappy about the fairly unsubtle suggestion of homo eroticism between Clough and Taylor portrayed in the film. Pretty much an open secret that Clough was probably gay but hardly surprising that Mrs Clough disliked the portrayal.

I met him several times and found him to be a bully, crooked and arrogant as well as, of course, a footballing genius. But gay? Nah.

WeeRussell
30-05-2017, 11:47 AM
Noticed this was on. I watched it the Christmas after it was released and looks like I'm very much in the minority when I say I didn't enjoy it that much. I think those I watched it with all liked it though so willing to accept I'm wrong :greengrin

Maybe have to give it another watch.

Hillsidehibby
30-05-2017, 12:20 PM
I saw the film "I believe in miracles ". All about Nottingham Forest. Best football film I've ever seen.

DarrenSQH
30-05-2017, 12:35 PM
I saw the film "I believe in miracles ". All about Nottingham Forest. Best football film I've ever seen.

Time for Heroes ;-)

mvteng
30-05-2017, 12:44 PM

Agreed. Was on last week. really good & well worth a watch. Cracking soundtrack as well.

hibsbollah
30-05-2017, 01:07 PM
I met him several times and found him to be a bully, crooked and arrogant as well as, of course, a footballing genius. But gay? Nah.

Unless you are extremely perceptive I'm not sure how you could tell one way or another just by meeting him a couple of times.

Dan Sarf
30-05-2017, 02:59 PM
Unless you are extremely perceptive I'm not sure how you could tell one way or another just by meeting him a couple of times.

Fair point - and I'm certainly not extremely perceptive.

However, the suggestion that Brian was gay came as a bit of a surprise to me having chatted to his players - they loved him like a Dad - and his staff - they adored him - at Nottingham Forest years ago. (Admittedly they could just as easily have felt that way if he were gay.)

But I guess you never can tell. I liked Frankie Howerd when I worked with him too - and some people say he was gay as well.

:greengrin

givescotlandfreedom
30-05-2017, 04:21 PM

That's interesting I'm sure I read he made Justin Fashinu train on his own after discovering he was gay.

Ray_
30-05-2017, 04:40 PM
I'm no fan of Leeds - far from it, in fact - but I'm sure their title winning side of 1991/92 would suggest they managed a little more than a 'brief flirtation' with the top flight.

The brief flirtation with the top flight was about the length of time they have spent there over the last thirty odd years, which in the late sixties/early seventies, would have been inconceivable, if suggested.

Their successes during the period you mentioned was rather tainted by the financial doping that went along with it.

LancashireHibby
30-05-2017, 08:42 PM
The brief flirtation with the top flight was about the length of time they have spent there over the last thirty odd years, which in the late sixties/early seventies, would have been inconceivable, if suggested.

Their successes during the period you mentioned was rather tainted by the financial doping that went along with it.
Financial doping under Ridsdale 'chasing the dream' undoubtedly, but I don't think that was the case for Speed, Strachan, McAllister, Chapman and the like.

Ray_
30-05-2017, 09:12 PM
Financial doping under Ridsdale 'chasing the dream' undoubtedly, but I don't think that was the case for Speed, Strachan, McAllister, Chapman and the like.

Your right, they were back in the top division for longer than I thought, memory playing tricks and time flying being elderly!

I forgot the games against Rangers was way back in 1992, which I shouldn't have as they saved me getting a severe doing. My rule regarding games in Glasgow, since I was a kid, was always to get back to Edinburgh as quick as possible. After the 93 league cup final, a guy I went to the game with kept on about heading to the pub, once the game was finished. He was very persistent and eventually I agreed [thinking that it would be OK as the game was at Parkhead].

Not knowing the place, we walked in to that loyalist pub in the shadow of the ground & it was only after we walked in that we realised what a mistake we had made. I thought, if we ran, we would get killed, so we walked casually in [with our green scarfs], much to the amusement of the hun hordes and made our way to the bar.

We were soon surrounded hearing how great Rangers had been and in my best English accent [I've lived there since 73], I mentioned that I had made a few bob on Rangers the previous season. I had got them interested and was asked "how was that", appearing rather indignant, I said that all my English mates were telling me what Leeds were going to do to Rangers and that I had obviously backed the Scottish team and they had won the both legs. It was a load of bull, but it worked as I was told "yir all right pal, sit in the corner and hide your scarf, nobody will touch you". So we did, long enough to finish our pints and then we quietly left. A couple of years I was watching "Britain's hardest pubs" and this pub was featured.