PDA

View Full Version : Hibs in Israel late 70s?

G B Young
28-05-2017, 03:51 PM
I was flicking through a recently rediscovered book of Harry Gilzean Hibs cartoons from the Evening News and noticed a strip from the late 70s which referenced a trip to play a Tel Aviv XI during a spell when a lot of games here were off due to the winter weather.

Anyone remember much about this? Hard to imagine many fans made the trip.

greenginger
28-05-2017, 03:56 PM
Did we not try to sign a local player, Who ended up being a bit of a Liverpool legend ?

G B Young
28-05-2017, 04:53 PM
Did we not try to sign a local player, Who ended up being a bit of a Liverpool legend ?

Think you mean Ronnie Rosenthal, who was on trial at Hibs in the late 80s but IIRC we couldn't afford him.

As far as I know Marciano is the only Israeli to have played for us but I could be wrong.

Viva_Palmeiras
28-05-2017, 07:38 PM
Don't seem to recall him being on trial just a target?

eastmainsmsh
28-05-2017, 07:42 PM
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/11979613.Rosenthal_has_striking_chance_to_play_for _Hibs/

leither17
28-05-2017, 07:44 PM
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/11979613.Rosenthal_has_striking_chance_to_play_for _Hibs/

Written by James Traynor

Nakedmanoncrack
28-05-2017, 08:13 PM

Famous for a legendary open goal miss v Aston Villa.

Scouse Hibee
28-05-2017, 08:14 PM
Don't seem to recall him being on trial just a target?

Pretty sure he played in a reserve game for Hibs on trial

Billy Whizz
28-05-2017, 08:16 PM
Pretty sure he played in a reserve game for Hibs on trial

Yeah, a shot ended with up in the Forth😄

tamig
28-05-2017, 08:23 PM
Think we were looking at a few strkers when Rosenthal was on trial. David Platt at Crewe was another in the frame at the time. We signed Gareth Evans instead. And that's not meant as a slight on Gareth as he was a great servant for us.

Kato
28-05-2017, 08:27 PM
Think we were looking at a few strkers when Rosenthal was on trial. David Platt at Crewe was another in the frame at the time. We signed Gareth Evans instead. And that's not meant as a slight on Gareth as he was a great servant for us.

Kenny Waugh wouldn't pay the £110,000 transfer fee for Platt, Ronnie Rosenthal played a trial for Hibs and scored but that was a couple of seasons after the interest in Platt.

E10 Rifle
28-05-2017, 09:22 PM
Kenny Waugh wouldn't pay the £110,000 transfer fee for Platt, Ronnie Rosenthal played a trial for Hibs and scored but that was a couple of seasons after the interest in Platt.
Also don't think Platt was willing to move North.

Peevemor
28-05-2017, 09:23 PM
Hibs had agreed a deal with Crewe for Platt but we're gazumped by Villa with Platt preferring to stay in England in any case.

Rosenthal was at ER for a few days, but both sides realised pretty quickly that a deal was unlikely.

Jonnyboy
28-05-2017, 09:29 PM
To answer the OP, here's a wee extract from my second book

"With the domestic card wiped out by heavy snow and severe frosts during the latter part of December and for most of January, Hibs looked further afield than the UK to fix up a game that would offer much needed match practice. A four day trip to Israel was organised and the players jetted out for a spell in the sun and a game against a Tel Aviv Xl. Left at home was Des Bremner whose wife Pat was heavily pregnant and due at any time but Lambie made the trip and was handed his debut in the Israeli capital. Indeed the only goal of the game arrived when a Lambie shot came back off the post and Isak Refvik popped up to net from close range."

January 1979, I believe

tamig
28-05-2017, 09:32 PM

"With the domestic card wiped out by heavy snow and severe frosts during the latter part of December and for most of January, Hibs looked further afield than the UK to fix up a game that would offer much needed match practice. A four day trip to Israel was organised and the players jetted out for a spell in the sun and a game against a Tel Aviv Xl. Left at home was Des Bremner whose wife Pat was heavily pregnant and due at any time but Lambie made the trip and was handed his debut in the Israeli capital. Indeed the only goal of the game arrived when a Lambie shot came back off the post and Isak Refvik popped up to net from close range."

January 1979, I believe
Duncan Lambie. There's an infamous blast from the past 😀

Jonnyboy
28-05-2017, 09:33 PM
Duncan Lambie. There's an infamous blast from the past 😀

I actually feel guilty for bringing his name up :greengrin

4 Front Teeth
28-05-2017, 09:48 PM
I thought we signed Keith Houchen (unsure of spelling) for more than the other possibilities... David P and Ronnie R.....

Peevemor
28-05-2017, 10:41 PM
I thought we signed Keith Houchen (unsure of spelling) for more than the other possibilities... David P and Ronnie R.....
Neither Platt nor Rosenthal really wanted to come to Hibs/Scotland.

bigwheel
28-05-2017, 10:57 PM
Neither Platt nor Rosenthal really wanted to come to Hibs/Scotland.

Correct , Platt was a sought after player - he has been quoted in interviews that he had no intention of moving to Scotland

Kato
29-05-2017, 07:05 AM
Hibs had agreed a deal with Crewe for Platt but we're gazumped by Villa with Platt preferring to stay in England in any case.

Rosenthal was at ER for a few days, but both sides realised pretty quickly that a deal was unlikely.

:aok:

G B Young
29-05-2017, 09:46 AM

January 1979, I believe

Thanks. I remember as a kid being excited by the arrival of Refvik and his Norwegian compatriot Sven Mathieson. There was a saga over their work permits though and I think they only stayed for a few weeks. Refvik in particular looked like he could have made a big impression, especially as Hibs were very much on the slide at that stage despite reaching the Scottish Cup final.