PDA

View Full Version : (nhc) totti's last game

Fuzzywuzzy
28-05-2017, 08:30 AM
This afternoon's going to see a legend leave the game. Not very often that you get a player that is so committed to his boyhood heroes as most chase the cash.

Forza totti

heretoday
28-05-2017, 08:36 AM
We went to Rome in 1999 and I got an Italy shirt with Totti on the back. I'm wearing it now although to be honest I didn't realise it was his last game today.

SirDavidsNapper
28-05-2017, 09:16 AM
One of the all time legends of the game. Roma all his career. Feels like he's been around forever.

snooky
28-05-2017, 09:51 AM
You can't beat a bit of Totti that's for sure.

Callyballybe
28-05-2017, 10:10 AM
You can't beat a bit of Totti that's for sure.

Haha!

CapitalGreen
28-05-2017, 10:31 AM
This afternoon's going to see a legend leave the game. Not very often that you get a player that is so committed to his boyhood heroes as most chase the cash.

Forza totti

It's easy to not "chase the cash" when you have already "caught" the cash. He was on €9m per year at his peak.

NoTottiNoParty
28-05-2017, 10:33 AM
Sad day ☹️

calumhibee1
28-05-2017, 10:38 AM
It's easy to not "chase the cash" when you have already "caught" the cash. He was on €9m per year at his peak.

Agreed. I'd like to think that if I had signed for Hibs and was making more money than I could spend anyway that I wouldn't be tempted away by getting even more money than I could spend.

Dashing Bob S
28-05-2017, 10:50 AM
The coliseum Lewis Stevenson can be proud of his Roma record.

Captain Trips
28-05-2017, 06:58 PM
Totti took over from another great No10 at Roma whom I also liked Giuseppe Giannini.

Deansy
28-05-2017, 07:26 PM
He'll need to keep his match-fitness up if he's retiring to spend more time with his wife - she's quoted as saying 'Sex is important' !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOS0E6STkS8

As if having his money, skill and life-style isn't enough ...............

Billy Whizz
28-05-2017, 08:11 PM
Surprised he only got 58 caps for Italy

The_Exile
28-05-2017, 08:20 PM
One of the best players to ever lace a pair of boots IMO, a genius on the field. He might not score a zillion goals like Messi or Ronaldo (although 250 goals from behind the strikers is a superb strike rate) but probably up there with the greatest ever. Captain of his club at 22 and one of the best ever in terms of vision and technical ability, a super playmaker. Ciao Il Rey di Roma!!

iwasthere1972
28-05-2017, 08:36 PM
Heard that Rod Petrie has made enquiries about his availability as he heard that there were 'No Roman charges'

Totti or Murray. That's the question.

hibsbollah
28-05-2017, 08:41 PM
Kicking ballotelli up in the air was my personal highlight of his career. One of the all time best 'red mist' moments.

Pretty Boy
28-05-2017, 08:46 PM
Always thought Totti was very harshly treated by British pundits and the like around World Cup/Euro time. Similar happened to Zlatan in his earlier career. I think it's because neither toed the line and done the 'desperate to play in the best league in the world' thing and their acheivements elsewhere were ignored or played down.

I was delighted he played so well in the 2006 WC after his poor showing when hyped in 2002 and his, correct, ban at Euro 2004.

renato
28-05-2017, 09:13 PM
Another one from the golden generation of number 10's, all the way from Platini and Maradona, through Baggio and Hagi, to Del Piero, Zola, Zidane and Totti. Doubt we'll see a player of that mould again, unless football goes full circle. Sad to see him finally hang up his boots.

Ironically, he probably had his best spell under Spaletti almost a decade ago as the first false 9, well before Messi and Barca mirrored the formation. He was just simply unplayable then, skill, technique, vision and goals anywhere and everywhere, no matter the occasion. I remember outrageous goals against Inter in San Siro, dominating Madrid in the Bernabau and getting a standing ovation, playing Man City a couple of years ago in his late 30's and being the best player on the park, scoring at the Etihad...

This is worth a watch, it just scatches the surface though.

https://youtu.be/6-j0ICwqNZw

GreenLake
28-05-2017, 09:49 PM
The Lazio fans put a banner up which I think amounted to respect for him. It said something like "permanent enemies say goodbye to Totti", but my Italian is minimal from latin at school. I saw the banner while watching Lazio vs Inter from the tribune d'honore centrale. The best thing at that game was watching the bald eagle fly round and round pregame and land on a guy's arm wearing a Lazio strip. He let the fans pet it after the final whistle too. Very cool! I was thinking maybe Hibs could release a seagull in there build up to kick off and let it fly down onto the arm of someone in a Hibs strip.

ekhibee
28-05-2017, 11:46 PM
Another one from the golden generation of number 10's, all the way from Platini and Maradona, through Baggio and Hagi, to Del Piero, Zola, Zidane and Totti. Doubt we'll see a player of that mould again, unless football goes full circle. Sad to see him finally hang up his boots.

Ironically, he probably had his best spell under Spaletti almost a decade ago as the first false 9, well before Messi and Barca mirrored the formation. He was just simply unplayable then, skill, technique, vision and goals anywhere and everywhere, no matter the occasion. I remember outrageous goals against Inter in San Siro, dominating Madrid in the Bernabau and getting a standing ovation, playing Man City a couple of years ago in his late 30's and being the best player on the park, scoring at the Etihad...

What an excellent clip. :top marks

hibsbollah
29-05-2017, 06:49 AM

Great video. :top marks

Edit.. I can't help thinking his retirement wasn't complete without a John Terry style manufactured 10th minute substitution in his final game, a guard of honour which delayed play, and Totti then making sneaky appearances at trophy celebrations for games he didn't take part in.

frazeHFC
29-05-2017, 10:08 AM
For some reason I never really liked Totti when I was younger, but opinions of him definitely changed in recent years. Amazing loyalty to Roma, he could easily have gone elsewhere and won a lot more honours.

Totti, Lamb and Alonso all retired at the same time! :(

easty
29-05-2017, 10:50 AM
Totti, Lamb and Alonso all retired at the same time! :(

Out to pasture eh

Cabbage East
29-05-2017, 12:12 PM
Lucky enough to have seen him play and score live. An incredible footballer.

jacomo
29-05-2017, 01:00 PM

Yup fabulous player. His technique, goal scoring and longevity of career puts him right up there.