PDA

View Full Version : FACT of the day

Captain Trips
27-05-2017, 08:36 PM
Our SOL booted, kicked, horsed, destroyed, trebled, owned, triple owned YNWA.

Fact and End of.

Criswell
27-05-2017, 09:35 PM
And the fact they nicked it of someother team

Michael
27-05-2017, 09:45 PM
Embarrassing to sing YNWA if you're not Liverpool IMO.

Mikers110
27-05-2017, 09:47 PM
As my wife, who knows absolutely nothing about football, asked, why are they singing the Liverpool song?

frazeHFC
27-05-2017, 09:54 PM
Didn't we sing YNWA at one time too? Glad we stopped though, SOL tops it hands down!

Pete
27-05-2017, 09:56 PM

:agree:

It's their song.

lapsedhibee
27-05-2017, 09:59 PM

:agree: Could Celtc not more reasonably adopt SOL, since they're originally an Edinburgh-based club?

Haymaker
27-05-2017, 10:00 PM
:agree: Could Celtc not more reasonably adopt SOL, since they're originally an Edinburgh-based club?

Don't give them the idea!!

Captain Trips
27-05-2017, 10:08 PM

Our songs are stolen
Our songs are stolen
Borrowed
Borrowed
Borrowed
Borrowed
Our songs are stolen
Our songs are stolen
We saw it, we took it.......

SaulGoodman
27-05-2017, 10:44 PM
Our songs are stolen
Our songs are stolen
Borrowed
Borrowed
Borrowed
Borrowed
Our songs are stolen
Our songs are stolen
We saw it, we took it.......
Butchered it, we claimed it

givescotlandfreedom
27-05-2017, 11:04 PM
I do think we're what Celtc would often like to be.

Bob1875
27-05-2017, 11:09 PM
And the fact they nicked it of someother team

We've got a cheek after that here we go, 2 In a row debacle

muzzhfc
27-05-2017, 11:17 PM

That was in relation to how many years in a row we ended hearts season

Zondervan
27-05-2017, 11:17 PM

Haha!

Comparing a wee tongue in cheek chant with a 40 year plus Liverpool anthem!

Listen, we will never sing that chant again, but Celtc will continue to chant Liverpool songs for eternity!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O'Rourke3
28-05-2017, 12:33 AM
There are many in the Celtic support who believe and argue they sang it first- genuinely. They might be right but it's not one I can remember them singing before the millennium. It would be good to get the TV evidence. Must exist as only the two cheeks were on the telly in the 60s

Peevemor
28-05-2017, 12:44 AM
There are many in the Celtic support who believe and argue they sang it first- genuinely. They might be right but it's not one I can remember them singing before the millennium. It would be good to get the TV evidence. Must exist as only the two cheeks were on the telly in the 60s
We sung it in the 80s and the Proclaimers sung it at the Hands off Hibs rally at ER. It was a well established Celtic song then.

Haymaker
28-05-2017, 12:46 AM

they'd claim to have invented the colour purple if they could

O'Rourke3
28-05-2017, 12:47 AM
We sung it in the 80s and the Proclaimers sung it at the Hands off Hibs rally at ER. It was a well established Celtic song then.
Still don't remember 'tic doing it. I do remember us but always felt it was more of a Liverpool tribute as opposed to one we own - or Celtic

Peevemor
28-05-2017, 12:49 AM
Still don't remember 'tic doing it. I do remember us but always felt it was more of a Liverpool tribute as opposed to one we own - or Celtic
They definitely did - I remember it well from the early 80s. I've no idea about before that though.

O'Rourke3
28-05-2017, 12:50 AM
They definitely did - I remember it well from the early 80s. I've no idea about before that though.
[emoji106]

Phil MaGlass
28-05-2017, 05:20 AM
For as long as I remember they have been singing it, and thats long:greengrin

Clarence
28-05-2017, 05:54 AM
they'd claim to have invented the colour purple if they could

That was Steven Spielberg.

Waxy
28-05-2017, 06:11 AM
I do think we're what Celtc would often like to be.

One day we may be bigger than celtic once more. Though we'll not see it.

Pretty Boy
28-05-2017, 06:14 AM
At least their strips are original. Oh wait.

Well the Poznan, sorry the huddle, was definitely their idea wasn't it?

More Than A Club is a catchy slogan, I bet no one thought of that before.

Keith_M
28-05-2017, 07:20 AM

No, it was a well established football song but one that everybody still considered to have been started by Liverpool.

The_Sauz
28-05-2017, 07:28 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You%27ll_Never_Walk_Alone :greengrin

Mikey
28-05-2017, 07:34 AM
Debacle! Seriously??

Listen, we will never sing that chant again, but Celtc will continue to chant Liverpool songs for eternity!

Yes we will.

Here we go.....
8 in a row
9 in a row
10 in a row....

As we continue our unbeaten run against Hearts next season :wink:

And if they're really unlucky they'll make top 6 and it'll be 11 in a row.

HibbySpurs
28-05-2017, 07:35 AM

Yep, I know Celtic fans who will not hear that it is a Liverpool song, they firmly believe it is theirs and theirs alone.

All this despite the fact that the title of the song is inscribed above the gates to Anfield.

Also "The Huddle" was invented by them which is just hilarious but Celtic fans are self superior that try mentioning the word "Poznan" and you'll get scowled at our worse.

It's all the above that gives me a lot of dislike towards them, they are so far up their own ***** it's unreal.

That and the brothers/cousins or whatever patronising ***** they try to pull with us as if we are in awe or have some sort of affection for them.

They don't like the first to wear the green or being called strip thieves either.

Remember though, a Celtic fan is just a Hibs fan who can't afford the bus fare so really we should pity them.

Hibbyradge
28-05-2017, 07:39 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You%27ll_Never_Walk_Alone :greengrin

This bit is relevant to the debate;

The song was adopted by Scottish team Celtic after a 1966 Cup Winners Cup semi-final against Liverpool at Anfield.

It is now sung by Celtic fans prior to every home European tie.

The song has also been adopted by Dutch teams Feyenoord, FC Twente and SC Cambuur,[20] Germany's Borussia Dortmund, FSV Mainz 05, 1. FC Kaiserslautern, SV Darmstadt 98, Eintracht Braunschweig, Borussia Mönchengladbach, VfL Osnabrück, Alemannia Aachen, FC St Pauli, TSV 1860 Munich,[21] Belgium's Club Brugge, Japan's F.C. Tokyo,[22] Spain's CD Lugo.[23] and the Marist St. Pats MSP 80/80 Blues. In Ice Hockey, the song has been adopted by German Deutsche Eishockey Liga side Krefeld Pinguine and Croatian Medveščak Zagreb.

Pretty Boy
28-05-2017, 07:55 AM
Did Hearts fans not sing YNWA as well? 70s maybe? Sure I read that.

Both them and Celtic probably won't want to believe that now though.

Captain Trips
28-05-2017, 08:10 AM
Did Hearts fans not sing YNWA as well? 70s maybe? Sure I read that.

Both them and Celtic probably won't want to believe that now though.

Hearts have been singing You'll never win again.

Peevemor
28-05-2017, 08:22 AM
No, it was a well established football song but one that everybody still considered to have been started by Liverpool.

I said it was a Celtic song. I never said exclusively.

guthrie01
28-05-2017, 09:57 AM
Celtic have sang it for a while but I just don't get why they sing it ?

Anytime I hear Liverpool sing YNWA I can feel the emotion and pride from the fans, when the Celtic fans sing it all I can think is tacky and "look at us" attitude. It just doesn't fit right, which is why I'm glad we stopped the idea of adopting it and got our own anthem which suits our club and fans just perfectly.

NAE NOOKIE
28-05-2017, 11:43 AM
Back in the 70s / 80s a lot of clubs fans sang YNWA coz its pretty transferrable in so much as it doesn't mention Liverpool ..... the difference seems to be that nobody would dare have the cheek to lay claim to the song as being their own. Recently Celtic appear to be trying really hard to muscle in on Liverpool's action in that regard though ....... not in so much as saying the song is theirs, but trying to give the impression that the song should be associated with both clubs in equal measure.

SOL is ours and coz of that it wouldn't matter if there was 100,000 of them belting out YNWA like Pavarotti ...... we win :greengrin

JimboHibs
28-05-2017, 12:11 PM
When did we 1st start singing SOL at Easter Road,I can't think that far back.

PatHead
28-05-2017, 12:24 PM
My first memory of it getting the hair on the back of my neck standing up at Easter Road was Aek Athens.

weecounty hibby
28-05-2017, 12:30 PM
I remember it at half time against Aberdeen in LC game when we were in 1st div last time. Was played in memory of a kid who had died. That's my first memory of it at ER.

makaveli1875
28-05-2017, 12:32 PM
My first memory of it getting the hair on the back of my neck standing up at Easter Road was Aek Athens.

:agree: Thats the 1st time i remember hearing it

HFCdeb
28-05-2017, 12:39 PM
This bit is relevant to the debate;

The song was adopted by Scottish team Celtic after a 1966 Cup Winners Cup semi-final against Liverpool at Anfield.

It is now sung by Celtic fans prior to every home European tie.

The song has also been adopted by Dutch teams Feyenoord, FC Twente and SC Cambuur,[20] Germany's Borussia Dortmund, FSV Mainz 05, 1. FC Kaiserslautern, SV Darmstadt 98, Eintracht Braunschweig, Borussia Mönchengladbach, VfL Osnabrück, Alemannia Aachen, FC St Pauli, TSV 1860 Munich,[21] Belgium's Club Brugge, Japan's F.C. Tokyo,[22] Spain's CD Lugo.[23] and the Marist St. Pats MSP 80/80 Blues. In Ice Hockey, the song has been adopted by German Deutsche Eishockey Liga side Krefeld Pinguine and Croatian Medveščak Zagreb.

So glad SoL isn't hoored oot like this. Very grateful that such a perfect song is unique only to Hibs 💚

GreenNWhiteArmy
28-05-2017, 12:55 PM
My personal opinion has always been that regardless of what went before, after the Hillsborough disaster, YNWA should have been left alone to be sung by one team - Liverpool FC.

Hate celtic for various reasons but they are the most unoriginal club in the world. Even hearts have more originality than these clowns

Haymaker
28-05-2017, 01:15 PM
That was Steven Spielberg.

A celtc fan just told me they did it first?!

Disc O'Dave
28-05-2017, 04:10 PM
A celtc fan just told me they did it first?!

Neither of them made the breakthrough during the 90 minutes of normal time but Spielberg did it after ET

Haymaker
28-05-2017, 04:18 PM
Neither of them made the breakthrough during the 90 minutes of normal time but Spielberg did it after ET

:tee hee:

Criswell
28-05-2017, 09:37 PM
I believe YNWA was originally sung at Anfield. The reason being, I once saw a documentary about Liverpool FC and it showed crowd scenes from The Kop from the sixties. They weren't singing YNWA but were singing early Beatles songs. So Liverpool fans seemed to have been in the habit of singing (non-football) popular songs of the day from Liverpool acts. The sentiments portrayed in the lyrics ensured its ever lasting appeal.

PS the song was taken from a 40's musical called Carousel.

NAE NOOKIE
29-05-2017, 05:45 PM
I believe YNWA was originally sung at Anfield. The reason being, I once saw a documentary about Liverpool FC and it showed crowd scenes from The Kop from the sixties. They weren't singing YNWA but were singing early Beatles songs. So Liverpool fans seemed to have been in the habit of singing (non-football) popular songs of the day from Liverpool acts. The sentiments portrayed in the lyrics ensured its ever lasting appeal.

Sung by Judy Garland .... no relation to the ex Hertz keeper AFAIK :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
29-05-2017, 10:19 PM
Sung by Judy Garland .... no relation to the ex Hertz keeper AFAIK :greengrin
Shirley Jones 😉

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

iwasthere1972
29-05-2017, 11:17 PM

Remember seeing that video. They also sang a Cilla Black song. Not a lorra people know that.

Found it.

https://youtu.be/N8514NaOyjM

--------
30-05-2017, 01:26 AM
FWIW, my recollection is that YNWA was the third of three number one singles by Gerry and the Pacemakers in 1964, a cover version of the song from 'Carousel'. Lots of singers had recorded the song previously, but this version was the one that really made it popular in Britain.

They were very much a Liverpool group, and the Anfield fans (who were in the habit of singing Beatles' and other hit songs at games, adopted the song very soon after it came out.

Celtic played Liverpool in the semi of the European Cup-Winners' Cup in 1965, and conceiving that they had some sort of 'special relationship' with Liverpool, their fans started singing it too, especially on European nights at Parkhead during the Stein years.

Lots of clubs' fans sing it now, but originally and properly it was and remains the Liverpool fans' anthem.

I agree with those who have already said that when Celtic supporters borrow it, it sounds tacky. But as others have already pointed out, just about everything about that club has been borrowed or stolen from someone else.