PDA

View Full Version : Hibernian Talismen

Viva_Palmeiras
26-05-2017, 07:45 PM
We the going gets tough or in the big occasion they're the key to making us tick, producing that bit of magic, inspire us or simply or getting us out of jail...

Some me from my era :

Griffiths, Sauzee
Jackson
Keith, Keith,Keith
Collins
Leighton
Goram
Mcginn
Crunchie
Allan

To name but a few - what are yours?

Unseen work
26-05-2017, 07:48 PM
Deek
Griffiths
Cummings

Itsnoteasy
26-05-2017, 07:49 PM
We the going gets tough or in the big occasion they're the key to making us tick, producing that bit of magic, inspire us or simply or getting us out of jail...

Some me from my era :

Griffiths, Sauzee
Jackson
Keith, Keith,Keith
Collins
Leighton
Goram
Mcginn
Crunchie
Allan

Goram by a country mile.
Also Pat Mcginlay

stantonhibby
26-05-2017, 07:50 PM

Some me from my era :

Griffiths, Sauzee
Jackson
Keith, Keith,Keith
Collins
Leighton
Goram
Mcginn
Crunchie
Allan

Latapy

Andy74
26-05-2017, 07:53 PM

Some me from my era :

Griffiths, Sauzee
Jackson
Keith, Keith,Keith
Collins
Leighton
Goram
Mcginn
Crunchie
Allan

Wouldn't have Crunchie in there on his performances for Hibs.

AgentDaleCooper
26-05-2017, 07:59 PM
Could scott allan arguably be in there? Dobber of a bloke, but certainly capable of running and changing a game...

andy1875
26-05-2017, 08:05 PM
David Gray.

Capitano that leads by example. Not to mention that goal.

Hibernian great.

wookie70
26-05-2017, 08:09 PM
Deek, Cummings, Leigh, Ally MacLeod, Goram, Le God

makaveli1875
26-05-2017, 08:12 PM
o'connor , fletcher , zemmama , Rob Jones , boozy , kenny miller

magpie1892
26-05-2017, 08:16 PM
Also Pat Mcginlay

One of the most underrated players of all time and the heart of a lion. If not the teeth.

Orchard_Hibs
26-05-2017, 08:26 PM
Scott brown no doubt

GreenNWhiteArmy
26-05-2017, 08:27 PM
The players on the pitch that didn't cave at 2-0 in a Scottish Cup derby

The players on the pitch that didn't cave and drop their heads at 1-2 down in the Scottish Cup final.

The fans - for sticking by the club through thick and thin and being the 12th man these last 12/18 months

Itsnoteasy
26-05-2017, 08:42 PM
One of the most underrated players of all time and the heart of a lion. If not the teeth.

And could score a goal or 2.
Have we had such a goalscoring midfielder since him.

brianmc
26-05-2017, 08:46 PM
Could scott allan arguably be in there? Dobber of a bloke, but certainly capable of running and changing a game...

Nope.

brianmc
26-05-2017, 08:49 PM

Agreed. Or McGinn, or Allan.
All 3 have produced moments of talent in a Hibernian shirt - but to call them Talismen?
Nut.

southsider
26-05-2017, 08:59 PM
Deek
Griffiths
Cummings

The world class Pat Stanton. Just the best ever.9

21sMay
26-05-2017, 09:17 PM
Benji

4 Front Teeth
26-05-2017, 09:28 PM
Not mentioned these guys yet:
Archibald
Brown
Yogi
Mixu
Kano EU

Neily1982
26-05-2017, 09:31 PM
Sauzee #LeGod

Lago
26-05-2017, 09:47 PM
Pat Stanton, Alan Gordon, Micky Edwards, Sloop J. B. & John Brownlie. Actually I could add many more.

Topographic Hibby
26-05-2017, 10:03 PM
One man "got us out of jail" so that the grail could eventually be obtained.

Step forward Paul Hanlon at the Budge-Bowl in the last minute.

Not sure I describe him as a talisman to be relied upon to dig us out of a hole on a regular basis, but he sure got us out of jail that day and kept us in the cup. Still love that image of him and Kitty looking like they were praying on the sidelines in the last few cup final moments:not worth

CRAZYHIBBY
26-05-2017, 11:15 PM
Benji.....hibs never lost when he scored

Thegreenside
26-05-2017, 11:27 PM
John O'Neil, when he played he won

Neily1982
27-05-2017, 12:40 AM
Sauzee, when he played he was the one you watched! #losthisteethagainstthem

RIP Bestie
27-05-2017, 12:54 AM

Incredible, just incredible

RIP Bestie
27-05-2017, 01:05 AM

Probably have to justify that.
An Alex Miller team with a 'forward line' of Micheal O'Neil, Keith Wright, Darren Jackson, and Kevin McAllister and backed up by Pat McGinley from centre mid was brilliant to watch on their day.
could never understand Millers tactics when he had that talent in forward positions. For me it should have been if they score 2 we will score 3 with Miller it was if they don't score we won't get beat.
Crunchie was a great player and was great to watch as were the other aforementioned.

frazeHFC
27-05-2017, 11:29 AM
Riordan loved a late get-out-of-jail goal. Love watching the videos of all his goals, we'll be lucky if we produce someone as good as him anytime soon! Hopefully Cummings can continue his goal form into the Prem.

Shrekko
27-05-2017, 11:48 AM
In the 40 years I've watched Hibs I'd only class Griffiths for 1 season and Darren Jackson for 2 seasons as talisman. We relied so heavily on them.

Other players like Sauzee, Latapy, McGinn, Riordan and Cummings have been backed by a good cast although you have to say Jason's contribution this year has been hugely significant - goals that have won points in so many big games.

Andy74
27-05-2017, 12:20 PM

What is?

He was not much better than decent at Hibs. Played all his best football at his other clubs and picked up again when he went back to Falkirk.

Certainly not worthy of being discussed as a talisman.

cmcd
27-05-2017, 01:31 PM
What is?

He was not much better than decent at Hibs. Played all his best football at his other clubs and picked up again when he went back to Falkirk.

Some me from my era :

Griffiths, Sauzee
Jackson
Keith, Keith,Keith
Collins
Leighton
Goram
Mcginn
Crunchie
Allan

Willie Hamilton

steelendhibs
27-05-2017, 02:25 PM
Willie Hamilton

Gordon hunter for one moment only!

sleeping giant
27-05-2017, 02:27 PM
David Gray.

Capitano that leads by example. Not to mention that goal.

Hibernian great.

Absolutely .

Sir David by a mile.

makaveli1875
27-05-2017, 03:16 PM
Too young to have seen him play but did meet him many times - Lawrie Reilly

PatHead
27-05-2017, 04:11 PM
Albert Kidd.

leithsansiro
27-05-2017, 04:18 PM
Goram by a country mile.
Also Pat Mcginlay

I always felt a bit sorry for Pat McGinlay. Totally unlucky to be around at a time when Scotland had a fair few decent midfielders. Never remember much clamour for getting him into the international setup, but nowadays a Scottish guy with a record of scoring that number from midfield for Hibs (and Celtic) would be well sought after

thebakerboy
27-05-2017, 04:26 PM
For me in my lifetime has to be the one and only Joe Baker followed by Pat Stanton and the famous five who I saw but dont really remember. All the others mentioned have had there moments but these were the greatest Hibees.

FilipinoHibs
28-05-2017, 12:54 AM
Stanton Edwards Cropley Weir Cormack Brebner Callaghan

poolman
28-05-2017, 02:05 AM
Stanton Edwards Cropley Weir Cormack Brebner Callaghan

Brebner in amongst these greats 🤔

Em naw

Pete
28-05-2017, 02:35 AM
The players on the pitch that didn't cave at 2-0 in a Scottish Cup derby

The players on the pitch that didn't cave and drop their heads at 1-2 down in the Scottish Cup final.

The fans - for sticking by the club through thick and thin and being the 12th man these last 12/18 months

One man "got us out of jail" so that the grail could eventually be obtained.

Step forward Paul Hanlon at the Budge-Bowl in the last minute.

Not sure I describe him as a talisman to be relied upon to dig us out of a hole on a regular basis, but he sure got us out of jail that day and kept us in the cup. Still love that image of him and Kitty looking like they were praying on the sidelines in the last few cup final moments:not worth

The one man I associate with that comeback is Kevin Thomson. He decided that we weren't going out to them that day.

People can argue the toss about Rangers and his column but he's a Hibee who would play for us for nothing.

connerg
28-05-2017, 02:52 AM
The one man I associate with that comeback is Kevin Thomson. He decided that we weren't going out to them that day.

People can argue the toss about Rangers and his column but he's a Hibee who would play for us for nothing.

Headed the ball off the line when it was 2-2. Never handed in a transfer request either, unlike Scott Brown.

HoboHarry
28-05-2017, 04:29 AM
What is?

In your opinion. My opinion is, like some others it would seem, that you are talking nonsense.

Viva_Palmeiras
28-05-2017, 06:53 AM

In hindshight maybe that was a wishful thinking.

Hibeewilly
28-05-2017, 07:39 AM

Well said Pete - he is Hibs through and through!! And he did play for us for nothing

Andy74
28-05-2017, 08:09 AM
In your opinion. My opinion is, like some others it would seem, that you are talking nonsense.

Some others? So far no one else has listed him, one other person has agreed with me on him not being in there and one has disagreed with me.

He was decent for us, he certainly had some good attacking players in the team with him but it's just not correct that he was brilliant for us, certainly not to talismanic proportions.

Scouse Hibee
28-05-2017, 08:13 AM
Probably have to justify that.
An Alex Miller team with a 'forward line' of Micheal O'Neil, Keith Wright, Darren Jackson, and Kevin McAllister and backed up by Pat McGinley from centre mid was brilliant to watch on their day.
could never understand Millers tactics when he had that talent in forward positions. For me it should have been if they score 2 we will score 3 with Miller it was if they don't score we won't get beat.
Crunchie was a great player and was great to watch as were the other aforementioned.

Agreed, had not long been watching Hibs then but loved those mentioned.