PDA

View Full Version : Duffy named Championship Manager of the Year

Big_Franck
26-05-2017, 03:18 PM
I missed this yesterday and there doesn't appear to be a thread on here about it. Jim Duffy has been voted Championship Manager of the Year after finishing 4th with Morton. That after getting pumped out the play-offs at the first stage.

Seems to be a case of his pals in the weegie media voting for him. Lennon or Ray McKinnon should have won it IMO. Considering the mess McKinnon inherited at United he's done really well to get them within a game of an immediate return to the Premiership.

http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/201617-award-for-morton-manager/

Sas_The_Hibby
26-05-2017, 03:36 PM
I missed this yesterday and there doesn't appear to be a thread on here about it. Jim Duffy has been voted Championship Manager of the Year after finishing 4th with Morton. That after getting pumped out the play-offs at the first stage.

Seems to be a case of his pals in the weegie media voting for him. Lennon or Ray McKinnon should have won it IMO. Considering the mess McKinnon inherited at United he's done really well to get them within a game of an immediate return to the Premiership.

I think Duffy's a fair shout. To have got Morton, with their limited resources, challenging near the top at one point and eventually into the play-offs was a pretty good season's work, IMO.

lord bunberry
26-05-2017, 03:36 PM

That is laughable tbh.

Bostonhibby
26-05-2017, 03:38 PM
Peter (resourceless) Houston by a country mile for me. Look what he's achieved when not only do Falkirk have no money but they have to pay every other club in the leagues expenses every week just to play them.

His players have no laces for their boots, they have to draw socks onto their legs and they all get washed in the sink at the pub over the road after home games.

And their ground is a part built ramshackle mess.

The last part is true.

Bit like winning top leper in the leper colony this year. Glad we're out of it.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

easty
26-05-2017, 03:38 PM
I think Duffy's a fair shout. To have got Morton, with their limited resources, challenging near the top at one point and eventually into the play-offs was a pretty good season's work, IMO.

He's a dingle.

iwasthere1972
26-05-2017, 03:42 PM
Should just do away with the awards. Yes they did okay but they fell away at the end of the season, especially on and after his spat with Neil Lennon.

Can't imagine for one minute that Duffy will think that he earned it. Almost like receiving an email to say that you've won a prize in a competition that you didn't even enter.

guthrie01
26-05-2017, 04:14 PM
None of the managers in the Championship did an outstanding job this season.
Only one I could say would be somewhat justified would be Jack Ross, finishing 7th after what he was left with was pretty impressive.

lord bunberry
26-05-2017, 04:15 PM
None of the managers in the Championship did an outstanding job this season.
Only one I could say would be somewhat justified would be Jack Ross, finishing 7th after what he was left with was pretty impressive.
The guy at Dumbarton did a great job.

Keith_M
26-05-2017, 04:17 PM
TBF, he was being touted by a fair few on here for that award.

Pretty Boy
26-05-2017, 04:24 PM
Had Morton maintained there form beyond early March he may have been a shout. They capitulated almost as soon as they were touted as potential challengers though.

Had to be Lennon. Hibs were pretty unspectacular but still won the league comfortably.

WoreTheGreen
26-05-2017, 04:25 PM
Duffy did say Lennon should have won it

DavidDavidGray
26-05-2017, 04:27 PM
Don't have an issue with it. Did extremely well with Morton although Jack Ross could feel hard done by

CRAZYHIBBY
26-05-2017, 06:11 PM
Well done duffy.......end of

Dashing Bob S
26-05-2017, 06:44 PM
Houston every day of the week. Only a lack of resources spoiled lift-off and created a problem.

SirDavidsNapper
26-05-2017, 06:50 PM
Strange how Brendan Rodgers can win prem manager of the year but Lennon doesn't win Championship version. The gulf between Celtic and Aberdeen financialy is colossal compared to Hibs and Morton/Falkirk/Dundee United. No issue with it but seems like double standards. Id have given awards to McInnes and Duffy.

lucky
26-05-2017, 06:55 PM
For me the manager of the year should be the league winner but this year Jack Ross would be a decent shout

HFCdeb
26-05-2017, 07:01 PM
Don't have an issue with it. Did extremely well with Morton although Jack Ross could feel hard done by

This.

Since90+2
26-05-2017, 07:02 PM
Strange how Brendan Rodgers can win prem manager of the year but Lennon doesn't win Championship version. The gulf between Celtic and Aberdeen financialy is colossal compared to Hibs and Morton/Falkirk/Dundee United. No issue with it but seems like double standards. Id have given awards to McInnes and Duffy.

McInnes does not deserve manager of the year ahead of Rodgers. Rodgers is probably the most obvious choice for manager of the year there has ever been.

If you flipped them round would McInnes have done as well at Celtic as Rodgers? No chance. Would Rodgers have done as well as McInnes at Aberdeen? Very good chance.

guthrie01
26-05-2017, 07:03 PM

McInnes over Rodgers really ?
I get your point about the difference in finances but Rodgers won the league with over 100 points without losing a game, also about to win the treble after tomorrow.

Lennon won us the league but given the standard this year we should of finished more comfortably, just need to look at the amount of points the previous 2 winners had and the standard of the league compared to ours. We where expected to win it and we did just that and no more. Like I said Jack Ross should be the one with the award given his circumstances.

SirDavidsNapper
26-05-2017, 07:06 PM
McInnes over Rodgers really ?
I get your point about the difference in finances but Rodgers won the league with over 100 points without losing a game, also about to win the treble after tomorrow.

Lennon won us the league but given the standard this year we should of finished more comfortably, just need to look at the amount of points the previous 2 winners had and the standard of the league compared to ours. We where expected to win it and we did just that and no more. Like I said Jack Ross should be the one with the award given his circumstances.
I think 2nd and 2 cup finals is arguably a better achievement than 100 points with Celtic who can pay millions for players. Rodgers has done a great job though.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

guthrie01
26-05-2017, 07:23 PM
I think 2nd and 2 cup finals is arguably a better achievement than 100 points with Celtic who can pay millions for players. Rodgers has done a great job though.

Stubbs got to 2 cup finals last season as well though, doesn't matter if you get to 100 finals cup finals, you have to win them or it's just as good as last place.
And Celtic will win tomorrow because Aberdeen have played Celtic 5 times and have not even gotten close to matching them despite having a solid squad themselves. It's scary how good Rodgers has made Celtic.

SirDavidsNapper
26-05-2017, 07:30 PM
Stubbs got to 2 cup finals last season as well though, doesn't matter if you get to 100 finals cup finals, you have to win them or it's just as good as last place.
And Celtic will win tomorrow because Aberdeen have played Celtic 5 times and have not even gotten close to matching them despite having a solid squad themselves. It's scary how good Rodgers has made Celtic.

I just think if McInnes could pay the transfer fees and wages Rodgers can then the gap would be a lot closer. The gap between Celtic and the rest has never been bigger. All hypothetical as we'll never know. Celtic finished bottom of their champions league group. They are closer to those teams financialy than they are to Aberdeen. Just shows how silly Scottish football has become.

stantonhibby
26-05-2017, 07:34 PM
I just think if McInnes could pay the transfer fees and wages Rodgers can then the gap would be a lot closer. The gap between Celtic and the rest has never been bigger. All hypothetical as we'll never know. Celtic finished bottom of their champions league group. They are closer to those teams financialy than they are to Aberdeen. Just shows how silly Scottish football has become.

Dont disagree but going through the season undefeated is a pretty unique achievement.

Since90+2
26-05-2017, 07:34 PM

Of course the gap would be closer if Aberdeen had more money but that's not really relevant when awarding manager of the year as its based on achievements in a season.

Rodgers is about to win the treble having never lost a domestic match the entire season , I don't think that has ever happened in the history of Scottish football. He deserves manager of the year ahead of McInnes.

edit - if McInnes does manage to win the Scottish tomorrow , then aye , gee it to him :greengrin

SirDavidsNapper
26-05-2017, 07:35 PM
Dont disagree but going through the season undefeated is a pretty unique achievement.
Can't deny that

Sir David Gray
26-05-2017, 07:35 PM
Stephen Aitken should have won that award in my opinion. Given the resources of each team in the league, Dumbarton achieved the most. They shouldn't be competing with the likes of Raith Rovers or St Mirren but they are and to keep them in the Championship is a brilliant feat.

Dashing Bob S
26-05-2017, 07:57 PM
Of course the gap would be closer if Aberdeen had more money but that's not really relevant when awarding manager of the year as its based on achievements in a season.

Rodgers is about to win the treble having never lost a domestic match the entire season , I don't think that has ever happened in the history of Scottish football. He deserves manager of the year ahead of McInnes.

edit - if McInnes does manage to win the Scottish tomorrow , then aye , gee it to him :greengrin

The argument that all Rodgers (or anybody else) needed to do at Celtic was avoid falling asleep at the wheel, is a valid one. Nonetheless, he's raised the bar to the point that they've never even looked like losing a game. That does require great professionalism and powers of continual motivation. So he's a worthy winner.

Famous Fiver
26-05-2017, 08:15 PM
With luck Houston will be part of the commentary team at the play off on on Sunday so he can fully explain how lack of resources and budget prevented him winning what would have been a very well deserved honour.

Aye, right............

Swedish hibee
26-05-2017, 08:35 PM
I don't have a problem with this. He did a great job on a tiny budget.

GreenNWhiteArmy
26-05-2017, 08:39 PM
Only one team exceeded expectations in the Scottish Championship this season. Greenock Morton.

The guy's a dick but I've no issue with him winning this award

Sir David Gray
26-05-2017, 08:51 PM
Only one team exceeded expectations on the Scottish Championship this season. Greenock Morton.

The guy's a dick but I've no issue with him winning this award

Surely Dumbarton exceeded expectations as well?

Part time club, smallest fanbase and probably the smallest budget in the division as well. They pretty much secured their survival with a game to spare. I think they deserve to get a bit of recognition for what they've done this past year.

GreenNWhiteArmy
26-05-2017, 08:57 PM
Surely Dumbarton exceeded expectations as well?

Part time club, smallest fanbase and probably the smallest budget in the division as well. They pretty much secured their survival with a game to spare. I think they deserve to get a bit of recognition for what they've done this past year.

Morton went something like 364 days without a home loss. Dumbarton had a great season and im sure their remit was to finish above the drop zone and they managed that on goal difference. I do highly rate their manager though

For a while we spoke about morton as our closest rivals for the title. That speaks volume imo

CalgaryHibs
26-05-2017, 09:08 PM

Wtf !!

Kaiser1962
26-05-2017, 09:09 PM
With luck Houston will be part of the commentary team at the play off on on Sunday so he can fully explain how lack of resources and budget prevented him winning what would have been a very well deserved honour.

Aye, right............

Or how their average attendace is double that of Hamilton's.

hfc rd
27-05-2017, 11:50 AM
I personally felt Jack Ross deserved it. When he took over St Mirren, the team were pretty much relegated and confidence very low. He seemed to galvanise the whole club when he walked in and they went on that great run of form towards safety.

Also helped us win the league by beating Morton 4-1 away from home in midweek and drawing with Falkirk on the weekend we beat QOTS to be confirmed as champions. 😎