PDA

View Full Version : NHC No Parade IF Aberdeen Win The Cup

Frazerbob
25-05-2017, 11:01 AM
Aberdeen have just released the following statement.....

"Following this week's tragic events in Manchester, and after detailed discussion with Police Scotland, Aberdeen Football Club has confirmed that, in the event of an Aberdeen victory, there will be no victory parade in the city on Sunday.

Obviously with complete respect to Celtic Football Club, we would not wish to pre-judge the outcome of the Scottish Cup final in any way. However, it is crucial that supporters are fully aware of all organisational arrangements which may affect them.

In the event of Aberdeen being fortunate enough to win the Scottish Cup, the club would like to confirm that there will be no open top bus parade on Sunday and, given the situation and the pressure on police and security resources, we know our supporters will fully understand these measures which have been taken.

We thank the Red Army for their assistance and co-operation."

Seems odd when there is a major cycling race in the city centre today with thousands expected.

anon1875
25-05-2017, 11:10 AM
If the same Aberdeen turn up as they did in the semi, Celtic will take 6 of them anyway. It's a shame of the sheep win though, that parade last year was one of the best days of my life.

Just Alf
25-05-2017, 11:14 AM
Wonder what the Celtc response will be to this?

stokesmessiah
25-05-2017, 11:14 AM

"Following this week's tragic events in Manchester, and after detailed discussion with Police Scotland, Aberdeen Football Club has confirmed that, in the event of an Aberdeen victory, there will be no victory parade in the city on Sunday.

Obviously with complete respect to Celtic Football Club, we would not wish to pre-judge the outcome of the Scottish Cup final in any way. However, it is crucial that supporters are fully aware of all organisational arrangements which may affect them.

In the event of Aberdeen being fortunate enough to win the Scottish Cup, the club would like to confirm that there will be no open top bus parade on Sunday and, given the situation and the pressure on police and security resources, we know our supporters will fully understand these measures which have been taken.

Seems odd when there is a major cycling race in the city centre today with thousands expected.

I did think that was pretty weird as well. But, alas, I also think it will be totally irrelevant as they don't stand a chance of winning it.

Frazerbob
25-05-2017, 11:19 AM

In what respect? The statement is very clear that they are not counting any chickens and was respectful to Celtic.

Edit: Celtic have also put out a similar statement. Seems it has been done after consultation with both clubs.

G B Young
25-05-2017, 11:24 AM

Not sure what you mean by that? Neither Celtic or Rangers do bus parades after trophy wins as far as I can recall.

Chelsea have also called off their title-winning bus parade so I can only guess that it's the level of police resource required for such events that differentiates them from things like the bike race mentioned.

Whatever, it's another sorry indication that for all the talk of 'going about our lives as normal to prove that terrorism will never win' we do actually see our day to day lives changed by such murderous acts. A great shame for the Aberdeen fans in the (albeit unlikely) event that they win the cup.

My main hope is that the game itself passes off without any security concerns.

Captain Trips
25-05-2017, 11:29 AM
Shame allowing what happened on Monday to continue to decide how we live our lives.

Smartie
25-05-2017, 11:31 AM
What a shame that this is what it has come to, but it is totally understandable.

I do think they need to put something out now, even if it makes them look daft when they get 5 or 6 put past them.

HibernianJK
25-05-2017, 11:31 AM
Not sure what to make of this. I'd be quite disappointed if Hibs did this.

Ultimately, they are thinking of the safety of the fans, but we can't let these *******s change our traditions and the way we live our lives.

ian cruise
25-05-2017, 11:33 AM

I would imagine is precautions were already in place to that, as well as anti terrorism measures though both may have been stepped up. A cup parade would involve a lot of short notice planning and deployment making it harder to coordinate with other events ongoing just now I would imagine.

Captain Trips
25-05-2017, 11:34 AM

Ultimately, they are thinking of the safety of the fans, but we can't let these *******s change our traditions and the way we live our lives.

There is no difference from fans attending a parade than those same poople going to a large shopping center.

If the players do not want to then ok, if it were Hibs and we still decided to parade cup I would be front and center.

Unfortunately if you choose to leave the house and go shopping, out eating, cinema you are putting yourself in the 1/1000000 position of there being an incident. The odds are likely ecen higher than that and I am comfortable going about things as is. I understand other people do not feel same tbough.

HibsNutter
25-05-2017, 11:35 AM
Giving in to fear, that's what they want us to do.

Just Alf
25-05-2017, 11:37 AM
Not sure what you mean by that? Neither Celtic or Rangers do bus parades after trophy wins as far as I can recall.

Chelsea have also called off their title-winning bus parade so I can only guess that it's the level of police resource required for such events that differentiates them from things like the bike race mentioned.

Whatever, it's another sorry indication that for all the talk of 'going about our lives as normal to prove that terrorism will never win' we do actually see our day to day lives changed by such murderous acts. A great shame for the Aberdeen fans in the (albeit unlikely) event that they win the cup.

My main hope is that the game itself passes off without any security concerns.

Re 1st bit.. I'm never that interested in what they do to be honest so didn't realise they never held any events but one of the so called contributory factors to last years "invasion" was the reduced police presence due to some of them heading off to Ibrox.

So what I'm meaning is....
If Celtc were intending doing anything at all that will take policing away from the BAU activities what will their response be to the Aberdeen decision?

DarrenSQH
25-05-2017, 11:45 AM
Saves the football club the hassle of trying to organise something thats not going to happen anyway

IAmLee
25-05-2017, 11:47 AM
Re 1st bit.. I'm never that interested in what they do to be honest so didn't realise they never held any events but one of the so called contributory factors to last years "invasion" was the reduced police presence due to some of them heading off to Ibrox.

So what I'm meaning is....
If Celtc were intending doing anything at all that will take policing away from the BAU activities what will their response be to the Aberdeen decision?

The don't do parades but they normally take the cup back to their stadium and let the fans in there, that's apparently why the police left to head to Ibrox last year. Celtic have released a statement saying they won't be doing that this year and they have cancelled a parade they were doing before a legends match on the Sunday too. The wording is very similar to Aberdeen's statement so it sounds like this was all discussed and decided upon before the two clubs released the statements

Dashing Bob S
25-05-2017, 11:48 AM

Terrorist acts make it easier for terrorists to recruit and for governments to govern populations in more volatile times, by passing repressive laws and curtailing assembly. They win - citizens lose.

Pretty Boy
25-05-2017, 11:50 AM
I don't think it's 'giving in to fear'.

Such events require a relatively sizeable police presence. With the threat level being raised a lot of Police will be deployed elsewhere and they may have advised both clubs they would be unable to man such an event properly.

With hundreds of Police still watching videos and manning the grass line from last seasons final there aren't a lot of men to spare.

GreenArmyyy!
25-05-2017, 11:52 AM
I'm not sure what all this "giving in to fear" chat is all about....

It has been stated by all clubs involved (Chelsea, Celtic and Aberdeen) that the reason they have cancelled the events is so they don't need to withdraw police resources from other areas to cope with the crowd this placing other areas under threat.

I'd be disappointed if it was us but it's a sensible decision given the terror threat being critical at the moment and the lack of police resources we have. What does annoy me is why there aren't any army patrols in and around the country right now.

ancient hibee
25-05-2017, 12:11 PM
I'm not sure what all this "giving in to fear" chat is all about....

It has been stated by all clubs involved (Chelsea, Celtic and Aberdeen) that the reason they have cancelled the events is so they don't need to withdraw police resources from other areas to cope with the crowd this placing other areas under threat.

I'd be disappointed if it was us but it's a sensible decision given the terror threat being critical at the moment and the lack of police resources we have. What does annoy me is why there aren't any army patrols in and around the country right now.
The Scottish Government is happy that Police Scotland can cope without army help.

Jones28
25-05-2017, 12:12 PM
Shame allowing what happened on Monday to continue to decide how we live our lives.

When it comes down to it it's better to be safe than sorry though isn't it?

JimBHibees
25-05-2017, 12:27 PM

Absolute nonsense imo.

Geo_1875
25-05-2017, 12:32 PM
When it comes down to it it's better to be safe than sorry though isn't it?

We could all stay in, lock the doors and windows and refuse to answer the doorbell.

marinello59
25-05-2017, 12:40 PM
We could all stay in, lock the doors and windows and refuse to answer the doorbell.

That's common behaviour in Aberdeen when charity collectors are doing the rounds.

ALF TUPPER
25-05-2017, 12:43 PM
Wonder if any parades will be cancelled around 12 July ? :cb

Andy74
25-05-2017, 12:47 PM
Crazy decision.

Moulin Yarns
25-05-2017, 12:54 PM
The Scottish Government is happy that Police Scotland can cope without army help.

I had a chat with one of the armed police keeping watch in Perth High Street today. He hadn't heard the Aberdeen statement and was a bit unhappy as he was intending taking his son to see the Dons parade the cup, he will also be at Hampden in the Aberdeen end.

He as happy to chat as they (armed response unit) are normally sitting in cars or vans doing very little. Being out an interacting with the public is a good PR exercise for them.

Keith_M
25-05-2017, 01:15 PM
Wonder if any parades will be cancelled around 12 July ? :cb

Yeah, surely that takes police resources that could have been deployed elsewhere anaw.

lucky
25-05-2017, 01:26 PM
Celtic have their first ever one planned for Sunday but it's a 10 minute joint not through the city or Bridgeton according Celtic ST holders I know

BroxburnHibee
25-05-2017, 01:31 PM

Exactly how I feel.

Jones28
25-05-2017, 02:12 PM

That's not what I'm saying is it though? Not in the slightest. In light of recent events it's sensible to not give these *******s a chance to do something else. In the long term maybe have a parade later on in the summer when the intelligence services have had a chance to break doors down.

Itsnoteasy
25-05-2017, 02:15 PM

Got to agree.
Let's just grind the country to a halt.

WhileTheChief..
25-05-2017, 02:17 PM

Often hear this line trotted out by politicians.

They want to kill us. We should be doing the same to them.

givescotlandfreedom
25-05-2017, 02:24 PM
There is no difference from fans attending a parade than those same poople going to a large shopping center.

If the players do not want to then ok, if it were Hibs and we still decided to parade cup I would be front and center.

Unfortunately if you choose to leave the house and go shopping, out eating, cinema you are putting yourself in the 1/1000000 position of there being an incident. The odds are likely ecen higher than that and I am comfortable going about things as is. I understand other people do not feel same tbough.

I agree in that sense, even having the game in a full stadium is a potential target to this sort of lowlives. I can kind of see how they might feel a mass celebration doesn't seem right a few days after a terrible national attack though when many people are mourning in their own way.

hibby6270
25-05-2017, 02:32 PM
I'm maybe being callous but to make decision not to have a parade in the event they win the cup is just downright wrong.

I know it's not the same circumstances as ours but Aberdeen haven't won the cup for over 20 years and I'm sure if they did win, their fans would have the same or similar feelings of euphoria as we did last year. Similar to us, a generation of their fans haven't had that cup winning feeling and denying the possibility of celebrating the day after is imo a cowardly decision. They may never get a chance to do it for many years again. Who knows?

Let's face it, there was as much chance of a terrorist attack taking place on 22/5/16 as there might be this coming Sunday. Can anyone truthfully say that that possibility/probability crossed our minds last year? Would it / did it stop any of us congregating down at Leith Links?

NO!!!

And it shouldn't influence what happens (or doesn't) in Aberdeen on Sunday.

Captain Trips
25-05-2017, 02:34 PM
Perhaps use some of the Police who have been pursuing those who invaded the pitch last year. No stone left with that mob

dp00
25-05-2017, 03:47 PM
Guess this is more to do with having the resource to plan and police it given the current state ... police scotland officers for example have been told that they could be moving to 12hr shifts with all leave/days off cancelled at any moment.

Don't under estimate how much resource these events would take up therefor stopping police protecting us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SChibs
25-05-2017, 04:28 PM
Often hear this line trotted out by politicians.

They want to kill us. We should be doing the same to them.

We do the same to them that's part of the reason they attack Britain. 000s of civilians have been killed by Britain and USA in Syria the last few years.

Hibernia&Alba
25-05-2017, 04:30 PM
It's a shame this decision has been taken, but with the national threat level now at critical, it's understandable. In any event, a victory parade is something the Dons probably won't need to worry about.

Captain Trips
25-05-2017, 04:46 PM
It's a shame this decision has been taken, but with the national threat level now at critical, it's understandable. In any event, a victory parade is something the Dons probably won't need to worry about.

I think the threat levels are sort of irrelevant what was the threat level on Monday afternoon I wonder? Anyways this could go on and on very sad to have to discuss it my opinion is as ever carry on.

Hibernia&Alba
25-05-2017, 04:50 PM
I think the threat levels are sort of irrelevant what was the threat level on Monday afternoon I wonder? Anyways this could go on and on very sad to have to discuss it my opinion is as ever carry on.

It's a fair point; the odds of a terrorist attack on the day are minimal, but in the aftermath of a suicide bombing rational thinking is another casualty.

NAE NOOKIE
25-05-2017, 06:26 PM
If the decision has been taken due to lack of police resources then its understandable.

If the decision has been taken in fear that some radicalised Loon or Quine might decide to target the parade based on the fact that a deranged nut case 400 miles away chose last Monday to do what he did I don't agree with it in the slightest ..... even given the events of last Monday I highly doubt an Aberdeen cup parade would be any more or less of a target than it would have been at any time.

Its my guess that the former is the reason for this decision ..... if its the latter, what happened to not giving in to terror?

Sir David Gray
25-05-2017, 07:46 PM
I would be absolutely gutted if this had happened to us last year.

I can understand it but I don't agree with it. The restructure of the Police in Scotland to a single national force was supposed to make situations like this easier as they could pull resources from all over the country and not just from a particular area.

I understand that resources will stretched just now and that we remain at the highest terror threat level available however Police Scotland is the second largest Police force in the UK so I'm a bit disappointed at this as it runs contrary to the reasons for the restructuring in my opinion.

G B Young
25-05-2017, 08:10 PM
Let's face it, there was as much chance of a terrorist attack taking place on 22/5/16 as there might be this coming Sunday. Can anyone truthfully say that that possibility/probability crossed our minds last year? Would it / did it stop any of us congregating down at Leith Links?

NO!!!

And it shouldn't influence what happens (or doesn't) in Aberdeen on Sunday.

It's an issue probably best debated on the Holy Ground forum (where there's already a big thread on the Manchester horror and where I've also posed a similar question), but I do wonder how confidently we would continue to claim we'd still attend cup finals/parades etc if terrorism like this were to escalate in the UK.

What I mean is, how many more similar attacks to Manchester would there need to be before you DID start to question whether you'd keep attending regardless? Since the London 7/7 bombings we've had a series of smaller but nevertheless frightening incidents such as Glasgow Airport (which had the potential to be much worse), the Lee Rigby murder, the Westminster attack just a couple of months back and now the atrocity in Manchester. It seems to me that the fact these incidents are, as yet, relatively rare, means that most of us retain enough confidence to carry on with our lives as normal.

In the nightmarish event that there WAS an attack on Hampden or Wembley this weekend, coming so soon after Manchester would we start to re-evaluate our 'keep calm and carry on' stance when it comes to going to watch football?

Sir David Gray
25-05-2017, 08:35 PM
It's an issue probably best debated on the Holy Ground forum (where there's already a big thread on the Manchester horror and where I've also posed a similar question), but I do wonder how confidently we would continue to claim we'd still attend cup finals/parades etc if terrorism like this were to escalate in the UK.

What I mean is, how many more similar attacks to Manchester would there need to be before you DID start to question whether you'd keep attending regardless? Since the London 7/7 bombings we've had a series of smaller but nevertheless frightening incidents such as Glasgow Airport (which had the potential to be much worse), the Lee Rigby murder, the Westminster attack just a couple of months back and now the atrocity in Manchester. It seems to me that the fact these incidents are, as yet, relatively rare, means that most of us retain enough confidence to carry on with our lives as normal.

In the nightmarish event that there WAS an attack on Hampden or Wembley this weekend, coming so soon after Manchester would we start to re-evaluate our 'keep calm and carry on' stance when it comes to going to watch football?

Yes absolutely 100%.

I've never thought twice about going on a plane since 2001, I've never thought twice about going on public transport since 2005 and I wouldn't think twice about going to a music concert or a football match since Monday night either.

If you let these people dictate what you do in your day to day life then they've won. They want to strike fear into people that's the purpose of these attacks and Hell will freeze over before I'll let them make me hide away and stop doing the things I like to do.

Viva_Palmeiras
25-05-2017, 09:17 PM

4-0 trouncing.

Andy74
26-05-2017, 09:31 AM

Aye we might as well stay in bed.

More chance of getting killed crossing the road. I still do that.

green&left
26-05-2017, 09:59 AM
Someone posted on twitter a screenshot of the glasgow planning website and shows around 10 orange order marches scheduled for this weekend.

Be raging if your a tim or don and you can't have a victory parade but police scotland can find the resources to police those inbred f*****s.

Moulin Yarns
26-05-2017, 10:32 AM
Someone posted on twitter a screenshot of the glasgow planning website and shows around 10 orange order marches scheduled for this weekend.

Be raging if your a tim or don and you can't have a victory parade but police scotland can find the resources to police those inbred f*****s.

http://www.bandparades.co.uk/calendar/category/scotland/list

Clarkston and Rutherglen for starters

Nakedmanoncrack
27-05-2017, 12:44 PM

I think the difference is the club's have chosen to be responsible & not stretch resources, these clowns on the other hand are never likely to give a toss about anyone but themselves & their right to match "the queen's highway".

Speedy
27-05-2017, 03:29 PM
I don't think it's 'giving in to fear'.

Such events require a relatively sizeable police presence. With the threat level being raised a lot of Police will be deployed elsewhere and they may have advised both clubs they would be unable to man such an event properly.

With hundreds of Police still watching videos and manning the grass line from last seasons final there aren't a lot of men to spare.

This should come as a reminder to the police that they are wasting resources on last year's final. Fingers crossed.

PatHead
27-05-2017, 05:03 PM
No need to worry about a parade now. Always feel the Glasgow clubs miss out on the day.

Glory Lurker
27-05-2017, 06:50 PM
No need to worry about a parade now. Always feel the Glasgow clubs miss out on the day.

They bring it on themselves. No sympathy for them.

PatHead
27-05-2017, 06:52 PM
They bring it on themselves. No sympathy for them.

Didn't say I sympathised. :-) Though I heard the new club were going to do it last year. It was organised with 15 minutes to go, supposedly.

hibsbollah
27-05-2017, 09:04 PM
Ian Hislop on HIGNFY got the mood of the week right IMO when he said 'it's been a terrible week, but we are still allowed to laugh and enjoy ourselves, aren't we!' The parade should have gone ahead as normal imo.

Glory Lurker
27-05-2017, 09:07 PM
Didn't say I sympathised. :-) Though I heard the new club were going to do it last year. It was organised with 15 minutes to go, supposedly.

You didn't, chief, I was just in a bad mood. Sorry!

PatHead
27-05-2017, 09:26 PM
No need to apologise. Had a smiley on it

You didn't, chief, I was just in a bad mood. Sorry!