PDA

View Full Version : The Famous

SirDavidsNapper
24-05-2017, 11:35 AM
We all know this is the name the puddle drinkers refer to themselves as but with all the hits on social media from all over the world and nice comments about Sunshine On Leith by celebrities (Dan Walker today), are Hibs actually the famous Edinburgh club? In my opinion we always have been but don't feel the need to blow our own trumpets!

Bostonhibby
24-05-2017, 11:38 AM
We're more well known outside Edinburgh as the Edinburgh football team than the Midlothians are.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

rodhibs55
24-05-2017, 11:39 AM
We all know this is the name the puddle drinkers refer to themselves as but with all the hits on social media from all over the world and nice comments about Sunshine On Leith by celebrities (Dan Walker today), are Hibs actually the famous Edinburgh club? In my opinion we always have been but don't feel the need to blow our own trumpets!

Our fame goes beyond the world stage. I seem to recall a BT advert with ET in his Hibs strip. Truly Universal. :0

Mikers110
24-05-2017, 11:57 AM
Had a wee look at their forum for some lunchtime amusement and it didn't take long. They are discussing new players and one of the braindead came out with this;

'Bring in folk now that have actually heard of the famous Heart of Midlothian.

18Hibee75
24-05-2017, 11:59 AM
Not saying he didn't just missed it lol, but where and when did Dan Walker compliment sunshine on leith?

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

SirDavidsNapper
24-05-2017, 12:00 PM
Not saying he didn't just missed it lol, but where and when did Dan Walker compliment sunshine on leith?

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Radio 2 today

HibbiesandtheBaddies
24-05-2017, 12:07 PM
Google war:

Heart of Midlothian : About 537,000 results

Hibernian : About 5,430,000 results.......

Heart of what?

Jack Hackett
24-05-2017, 12:09 PM
Had a wee look at their forum for some lunchtime amusement and it didn't take long. They are discussing new players and one of the braindead came out with this;

'Bring in folk now that have actually heard of the famous Heart of Midlothian.

Was it Phil Neville who referred to them as Heart of Midalbion a few weeks back?

Anyway, why would you want to limit your options with such a small list of candidates?

24-05-2017, 12:10 PM
I don't think this is fair.

The hearts support became famous for their behaviour at Hampden when they booed the minute's silence for the pope.

Jones28
24-05-2017, 12:11 PM
Radio 2 today

Did they play it on radio 2?

Michael
24-05-2017, 12:13 PM
I don't think this is fair.

The hearts support became famous for their behaviour at Hampden when they booed the minute's silence for the pope.

It's distasteful, but I can understand it as the pope has nothing to do with football.

greenginger
24-05-2017, 12:15 PM
[QUOTE=Jack Hackett;5051261]Was it Phil Neville who referred to them as Heart of Midalbion a few weeks back?

Even Vlad had never heard of them until he came snooping around the Arabs and the Pars. :greengrin

SirDavidsNapper
24-05-2017, 12:15 PM
Did they play it on radio 2?
Yeah played the song and spoke about how good it was at cup final then how he and Lennon did a karaoke duet of it!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

NZ Green
24-05-2017, 12:46 PM
Scottish Cup Final 2012 - 137,816 views in 4 years

Scottish Cup Final 2016 - 301,667 views in 1 year

Sunshine on Leith at cup final - 318,221 views in 1 year.

None of us are 'famous', but we certainly attract a bigger crowd.

Craig_HFC
24-05-2017, 12:51 PM
The difference is that they need to continually remind themselves and everyone else that they are indeed 'The Famous'.

We don't.

CorrieHibs
24-05-2017, 12:53 PM
All films set in Edinburgh, the characters are hibs fans and TV shows i.e. Looking after Jojo and even Rebus!

Most celebs born in Edinburgh or close by are hibs fans as well.

They can call themselves what they want though.

jacomo
24-05-2017, 12:56 PM
Delusions of grandeur with that club, as always

CallumLaidlaw
24-05-2017, 01:00 PM
All films set in Edinburgh, the characters are hibs fans and TV shows i.e. Looking after Jojo and even Rebus!

Most celebs born in Edinburgh or close by are hibs fans as well.

They can call themselves what they want though.

Only hearts fan I can think of in a movie is from Irvine Welsh's Filth, where the sick disgusting copper is a hearts fan :greengrin

Kato
24-05-2017, 01:01 PM

That's not fair. You didn't include figures for their world class, internationally renowned anthem, written and recorded by a world famous group who have sold millions of records and who support Hearts, which they all sing communally after important victories to the openly expressed joy of thousands of neutrals.

You know the song, errm, how does it go again?

CallumLaidlaw
24-05-2017, 01:03 PM
Scottish Cup Final 2012 - 137,816 views in 4 years

Scottish Cup Final 2016 - 301,667 views in 1 year

None of us are 'famous', but we certainly attract a bigger crowd.

to be fair, 300k of those views are mine :greengrin

givescotlandfreedom
24-05-2017, 01:03 PM
I mind when Hearts played Liverpool in the UEFA cup and being interviewed after the then Liverpool boss, Brendan Rodgers, being said 'it's always hard to come to places like...er...here' clearly forgetting the name of the pink toilet if he ever even knew it. He'll know it now though after Hearts lay down to celtc as always to give him his first Scottish title there.

livi hibs 1875
24-05-2017, 01:07 PM
I mind when Hearts played Liverpool in the UEFA cup and being interviewed after the then Liverpool boss, Brendan Rodgers, being said 'it's always hard to come to places like...er...here' clearly forgetting the name of the pink toilet if he ever even knew it. He'll know it now though after Hearts lay down to celtc as always to give him his first Scottish title there.
And help them celebrate with a £25 bacon roll

iwasthere1972
24-05-2017, 01:09 PM
Was it Phil Neville who referred to them as Heart of Midalbion a few weeks back?

Anyway, why would you want to limit your options with such a small list of candidates?

More like Heart of Midtable.

SirDavidsNapper
24-05-2017, 01:12 PM
I remember the 2007 cup win YouTube video of sunshine on Leith had 500k+ views but looks like it's been removed.

GreenLake
24-05-2017, 01:31 PM
I prefer to call them the famished.

SRHibs
24-05-2017, 02:12 PM
If we're being honest it's probably very even. Anecdotally, I've met people abroad who've heard of Hearts and not Hibs, and vice versa. Still think we should be making a much bigger effort to target tourists.

Deansy
24-05-2017, 02:22 PM
Hearts-fans obsession, their craving, their never-ending yearning for anyone or anything from outside of their own sphere, to even just acknowledge their existence is the ultimate in cringe and embarassment. Despite their true nature being exposed in their 'Creditor's list' (the theft of charity-money being the ultimate sin) they still continue to behave as if their club is a worthy and honourable institution, above all others and comparable to the best - they ignore the fact that there's no difference whatsoever between them and the Hun, on every level they are alike. Both have or have had boards/Owners who like to play 'Fast and loose' with the rules, honesty and integrity and both clubs have an arrogant, ignorant support, artificially inflated by money that they didn't have or wasn't theirs ! Both clubs should save time and money and just amalgamate -

THE HUN OF MIDLOTHIAN !

Deansy
24-05-2017, 02:24 PM
I remember the 2007 cup win YouTube video of sunshine on Leith had 500k+ views but looks like it's been removed.

This the one ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFcc4P_nvNo

iwasthere1972
24-05-2017, 02:34 PM
Hearts-fans obsession, their craving, their never-ending yearning for anyone or anything from outside of their own sphere, to even just acknowledge their existence is the ultimate in cringe and embarassment. Despite their true nature being exposed in their 'Creditor's list' (the theft of charity-money being the ultimate sin) they still continue to behave as if their club is a worthy and honourable institution, above all others and comparable to the best - they ignore the fact that there's no difference whatsoever between them and the Hun, on every level they are alike. Both have or have had boards/Owners who like to play 'Fast and loose' with the rules, honesty and integrity and both clubs have an arrogant, ignorant support, artificially inflated by money that they didn't have or wasn't theirs ! Both clubs should save time and money and just amalgamate -

THE HUN OF MIDLOTHIAN !

Or

HMRC

Heart of Midlothian Rangers Club.

Deansy
24-05-2017, 02:39 PM
Or

HMRC

:greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
24-05-2017, 02:46 PM
Just call them The Infamous, as I do. Their litany of shame in recent years is some record.

snooky
24-05-2017, 02:48 PM
If we're being honest it's probably very even. Anecdotally, I've met people abroad who've heard of Hearts and not Hibs, and vice versa. Still think we should be making a much bigger effort to target tourists.

Yes. To be fair the Celtc shop at Glasgow Airport must be a tourist trap to any foreigner wanting to take something footbally away with them even if they (the tourists) have no affiliation with any specific UK team.
There must be a huge untapped market in N. America and Asia. How how about giving Free live HibsTV to a Beijing TV station, or the like?
I'm sure a wee sprat like that would catch a hellava lot of oriental mackerel esp. for merchandise and visitors on holiday here, etc.

vuefrom1875
24-05-2017, 03:22 PM
Only hearts fan I can think of in a movie is from Irvine Welsh's Filth, where the sick disgusting copper is a hearts fan :greengrin

Great ending tho!

heidtheba
24-05-2017, 05:29 PM
To be fair to them, if it's a 'Google War' then they do have a hard name to remember.
I mean, if their owners can't remember the name then why should Google?

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/hearts-to-sock-it-to-them-1-991095

where'stheslope
24-05-2017, 05:34 PM
We're more well known outside Edinburgh as the Edinburgh football team than the Midlothians are.

This will upset a lot of Leithers, as they will tell you that Hibs are not an Edinburgh team, they're "frae Leith"!!!!!

Bostonhibby
24-05-2017, 05:36 PM
This will upset a lot of Leithers, as they will tell you that Hibs are not an Edinburgh team, they're "frae Leith"!!!!!
I'm leith born so I agree[emoji6]

brog
24-05-2017, 05:53 PM
The Yam captain in the book, who gets a crowd of 2k for his testimonial is called Tom Stronach IIRC. See if you can work out the anagram!

lapsedhibee
24-05-2017, 06:04 PM
Despite their true nature being exposed in their 'Creditor's list'

Never was an apostrophe more inappropriately placed! :rules:

THE HUN OF MIDLOTHIAN !

Or

HMRC

Of Tynecastlegreyskull.

The Yam captain in the book, who gets a crowd of 2k for his testimonial is called Tom Stronach IIRC. See if you can work out the anagram!

Easy. It's the ailment that kept Potter out of the title-winning side at Dens in 1986, isn't it?

Carheenlea
24-05-2017, 06:12 PM
Did a google trends for Hibernian FC v Heart of Midlothian FC.

http://i65.tinypic.com/29bg0fn.jpg

The Famous :lolyam:

SirDavidsNapper
24-05-2017, 06:17 PM

The Famous [emoji38]yam:
Maybe you should have tried HOMFC

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Aldo
24-05-2017, 06:32 PM
Famous indeed and rightly so

For

robbing local businesses
robbing local charities
And many more

Best one and this for all those looking in

THE LADY HAIG POPPY FUND!

So they are indeed entitled to the Famous tag and imho for all the right reasons!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

givescotlandfreedom
24-05-2017, 07:04 PM

The Famous :lolyam:

Class, look at the spike after the cup win.

SChibs
24-05-2017, 07:29 PM
Its cringworthy. A truly famous team shouldn't need to constantly tell people they are famous.

They remind me of a small angry man that nobody likes trying to be heard in a crowd.

Sammy7nil
24-05-2017, 11:20 PM
Really don't know where this comes from i have been attending derbies for nearly fifty years and know several Jambos never once heard them referred to as the Famous other than on here. Maybe am deaf :greengrin

Kato
24-05-2017, 11:29 PM
Class, look at the spike after the cup win.

They spike at the publication of their creditors list and lately because the brave experiment is such a twonk. Sounds like a dig, it is, but its also true.

Bostonhibby
25-05-2017, 07:16 AM
Really don't know where this comes from i have been attending derbies for nearly fifty years and know several Jambos never once heard them referred to as the Famous other than on here. Maybe am deaf :greengrin
Heard it a few times down the years. It's another comfort blanket I guess. See reference to the yam using it on post 4 above for example.

Whether they are "famous" or not in their own minds it's their recent deeds of infamy that define them for me.

Hibee87
25-05-2017, 07:46 AM
Only hearts fan I can think of in a movie is from Irvine Welsh's Filth, where the sick disgusting copper is a hearts fan :greengrin I read a bit by Irvine a few years back saying he the character was such a bad person that he could never have made him a hibs fan, so Hearts it was:tee hee:

jacomo
25-05-2017, 09:30 AM
Famous indeed and rightly so

For

robbing local businesses
robbing local charities
And many more

Best one and this for all those looking in

THE LADY HAIG POPPY FUND!

So they are indeed entitled to the Famous tag and imho for all the right reasons!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well kent in Scotland for their cheating ways.

Outside of Scotland, I'm afraid very few people are aware of this sorry tale. If they are known for anything at all, it's for their double fail in 1986.

They sometimes feature as an example of 'famous football collapses'.

Of course this might explain the obsession with the 'Hibs'd it' phrase. The maroon club are known bottlers.

25-05-2017, 09:57 AM

A couple of my jambo mates use it non-ironically. It's really bizarre.

My favourite of these hertz phrases is "not in my lifetime" in reference to our cup record. Unlucky lads.

iwasthere1972
25-05-2017, 10:09 AM

My Jambo nephew uses the 'Famous' term when referring to the Jam Farts. Think it's only since they cheated their way to winning that cup. Funnily enough he hasn't posted much since May last year. :agree:

rodhibs55
25-05-2017, 11:33 AM
Its cringworthy. A truly famous team shouldn't need to constantly tell people they are famous.

They remind me of a small angry man that nobody likes trying to be heard in a crowd.

Wee Man Syndrome
Wee Team Syndrome

leither17
25-05-2017, 02:45 PM
How many views has WW1 got think we might be beaten there?

SirDavidsNapper
25-05-2017, 02:46 PM
How many views has WW1 got think we might be beaten there?

Forgot they're famous for winning that all by themselves

Eyrie
25-05-2017, 07:00 PM
well kent in scotland for their cheating ways.

Outside of scotland, i'm afraid very few people are aware of this sorry tale. If they are known for anything at all, it's for their double fail in 1986.

They sometimes feature as an example of 'famous football collapses'.

Of course this might explain the obsession with the 'hibs'd it' phrase. The maroon club are known jambottlers.
ftfy.

Dashing Bob S
25-05-2017, 07:23 PM
As they've ripped off the 'famous' from our 'Famous Five' we should start calling ourselves 'the terrible' after...maybe not.

NAE NOOKIE
25-05-2017, 09:42 PM
It had to happen ..... Latest news from the Yam's new stand thread showing pictures of the outside of our main stand and comparing it unfavourably to what theirs will look like.

Typical Yams, apart from the fact that the front of our main stand is perfectly acceptable, are they too stupid to ask the question: why the hell would you spend a fortune on the aesthetics of a building the front of which cant be seen from anywhere apart from the car park directly outside of it and has no passing through traffic to 'wonder' at it? ...... what a bloody pointless waste of money that would be.

If the Yams are indeed 'famous' then its for the same reasons as Joey Essex is famous :greengrin

Bostonhibby
25-05-2017, 09:46 PM
It had to happen ..... Latest news from the Yam's new stand thread showing pictures of the outside of our main stand and comparing it unfavourably to what theirs will look like.

Typical Yams, apart from the fact that the front of our main stand is perfectly acceptable, are they too stupid to ask the question: why the hell would you spend a fortune on the aesthetics of a building the front of which cant be seen from anywhere apart from the car park directly outside of it and has no passing through traffic to 'wonder' at it? ...... what a bloody pointless waste of money that would be.

If the Yams are indeed 'famous' then its for the same reasons as Joey Essex is famous :greengrin

Do you think they realise we have actually built, completed the internal fitting of and paid for ours? right?

If I were them I'd dig out the cardboard boxes full of plans for the megasuperhotelstadium Romanov told them to believe he was building, it sounded very big.

NAE NOOKIE
25-05-2017, 09:53 PM
Do you think they realise we have actually built, completed the internal fitting of and paid for ours? right?

If I were them I'd dig out the cardboard boxes full of plans for the megasuperhotelstadium Romanov told them to believe he was building, it sounded very big.

What .... you mean when you build a main stand you have to have the money to fit out the INSIDE as well??? .... Not if the outside looks nice surely :confused:

Peevemor
25-05-2017, 09:53 PM

Although there are other examples of curved-glass curtain architecture out there, such as office and leisure spaces, I would certainly say that this design will be unique to Scottish football. It will truly stand out as a modern landmark within the game.

I have no doubt we'll be very proud of it once it's all done.

:faf:

When this structure is completely finished and ready, it will become the shining light of how our club came back from the absolute brink of going out of existence, to going forward to be one of the top football clubs in Scotland again.
We could never have imagined this happening, when kids were emptying their piggy banks to help keep us alive.

It's not finished pal...

NAE NOOKIE
25-05-2017, 10:11 PM
The Yams are doing themselves a disservice ..... apart from having a main stand that will look suspiciously like the outside of the TESCO in Galashiels, from which point of view it will certainly be unique to Scottish football, if not Scottish shopping:

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.n2dIV7jD2W-U7YchAgqWBAEsDh&w=231&h=173&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&dpr=1.05&pid=1.7

They will also be unique to Scotland's bigger clubs in having corporate facilities that don't actually give a view of the inside of the stadium and a new stand with dozens of seats from which you cant see the whole of the pitch because of the police control box.

Yup ...... unique it is :faf:

mca
25-05-2017, 10:19 PM

After reading this thread last night.. I Done a wee test today ( naw no a drugs one ) :wink:

I Asked my Exeter Supporting mate.. Have you heard of Hibs ??? He Said Yes.. But only because of you and yer Missus....

So i Asked him.. What Scottish teams had you Heard of before you met me.. He Said = Celtic, Rangers, and Aberdeen..

Have you Heard of " Hearts " i asked him.. reply was - Yeah.. im sure i Have.. !!!!

" They Come From Glasgow - Dont they "...

:thumbsup:

Yes Mate.. Was my reply

HibbiesandtheBaddies
25-05-2017, 10:45 PM
As they've ripped off the 'famous' from our 'Famous Five' we should start calling ourselves 'the terrible' after...maybe not.

LOL, even their highest achievements have negative connotations!

Jack Hackett
26-05-2017, 05:21 AM
What .... you mean when you build a main stand you have to have the money to fit out the INSIDE as well??? .... Not if the outside looks nice surely :confused:

Just like the proverbial Morningside wifey... aw fur coat and nae knickers :greengrin