PDA

View Full Version : Berra Signs for Hearts

CMurdoch
23-05-2017, 02:51 PM
NHC Good signing for them

neil7908
23-05-2017, 02:54 PM
Is that official now? Been doing the rounds for a while but can't see anything to confirm.

Not seen him play in ages but good signing if true, although I'd fancy us to run rings around their ancient centre halves next year!

Libby Hibby
23-05-2017, 02:56 PM
He's a mistake maker...good signing for them.

Poor touch, zero pace and a head like a 50p when heading a ball. Poor, poor player and how he got as many international caps as he has I'll never know.

Ozyhibby
23-05-2017, 02:58 PM
Berra and Hughes at the back will be a dream from any pacy attack next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big_Franck
23-05-2017, 03:00 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hearts/hearts-complete-signing-of-defender-christophe-berra-1-4454736

Donkey. He has signed one of Hearts' famous 3 year deals as well, no doubt as one of their highest earners.

CorrieHibs
23-05-2017, 03:02 PM
He's played at a good level for a long time. Always got a game at Ipswich so can't be that bad.

Not saying he's a world beater because I know he's not that, but he'll do well up here.

Albanian Hibs
23-05-2017, 03:03 PM
😂😂😂

Thecat23
23-05-2017, 03:07 PM
I'm delighted with this. He's horrific!

Thecat23
23-05-2017, 03:09 PM

No it's not, he's hopeless and Ipswich fans wanted well shot. He has zero pace as well. I'll be first to say if they sign a good player but Berra is absolutely brutal.

Since90+2
23-05-2017, 03:12 PM
Decent player who will be steady enough in the SPFL. Jambos will make out they have signed a great centre half and some folk will say that he is absolutely terrible and a liabiity , I would say he is somewhere in between.

Hypothetically if he was at Hibs he would be behind McGregor , Hanlon and Ambrose (if he returns) in the pecking order but ahead of Fontaine and Forster.

Stevie Reid
23-05-2017, 03:14 PM
I think he'll be a good signing for them.

kevo1875
23-05-2017, 03:15 PM
If we signed him i would be like ffs , slow as a week in the jail and seen milk turn quicker so having said that he is a fantastic signing for them ..

Aldo
23-05-2017, 03:17 PM
Decent player who will be steady enough in the SPFL. Jambos will make out they have signed a great centre half and some folk will say that he is absolutely terrible and a liabiity , I would say he is somewhere in between. Hypothetically if he was at Hibs he would be behind McGregor , Hanlon and Ambrose (if he returns) in the pecking order but ahead of Fontaine and Forster.

I would agree with most of that however I would say Fonts is Defo not worse than Berra.

Pedantic_Hibee
23-05-2017, 03:18 PM
32 year old on a 3 year deal :faf:

Chip shop Joe
23-05-2017, 03:20 PM
I really don't see why people on here are so delighted by this. He has made loads of appearances at a far higher level than he is moving back to. He has x amount of caps and whilst he is no world beater he is still only 32 and I think he will be an excellent signing for them. He knows the club, i would imagine he will be made captain and will have a real galvanising effect on their fans.

GreenNWhiteArmy
23-05-2017, 03:27 PM
Seems to have played regularly for Ipswich all season.

I can only comment on what i've saw, which has been his performances for Scotland and he has been terrible. And from what i've saw, Hanlon, Fonts, Daz are all as good/better

Libby Hibby
23-05-2017, 03:30 PM
I really don't see why people on here are so delighted by this. He has made loads of appearances at a far higher level than he is moving back to. He has x amount of caps and whilst he is no world beater he is still only 32 and I think he will be an excellent signing for them. He knows the club, i would imagine he will be made captain and will have a real galvanising effect on their fans.

Coz he's rotten.

Remember Kirk Broadfoot has also played at a higher level than the SPFL.

Brightside
23-05-2017, 03:34 PM
He is very slow. Great signing for us. :greengrin

Billy Whizz
23-05-2017, 03:34 PM

Wow, didn't see that one coming😄

Bishop Hibee
23-05-2017, 03:35 PM
He's an improvement on what they have but a 3 year deal seems odd.

Dashing Bob S
23-05-2017, 03:43 PM
To be fair he's better than they have. (Not saying much.) But he's nearly 33 and a three year contract would seem a dodgy deal unless they have coaching ambitions for him.

cabbageandribs1875
23-05-2017, 03:45 PM
32 ? is that herts starting to go for youths now

Billy Whizz
23-05-2017, 03:47 PM
Presume he'll be their new captain

Tyler Durden
23-05-2017, 03:51 PM
No it's not, he's hopeless and Ipswich fans wanted well shot. He has zero pace as well. I'll be first to say if they sign a good player but Berra is absolutely brutal.

Berra will easily be one of the best centre backs in the league. He's played a lot of games for Ipswich and is fit as a fiddle. Will definitely improve Hearts.

Hibs currently have the best batch of defenders as I've seen in 25 odd years watching. Wouldn't swap any of them but Berra is a similar standard to our guys.

SirDavidsNapper
23-05-2017, 03:52 PM
Wouldn't have him over any of our centre backs but decent signing

Stevie Reid
23-05-2017, 03:55 PM
Unsure why so many posters seem to think that 32 is an old age for a footballer.

Aldo
23-05-2017, 03:56 PM
Any sort of pace and he's screwed. Ask him about his game against Licoln City in the FA Cup. Theo Robinson tore him a new one with his pace.

Smartie
23-05-2017, 04:03 PM
He's better than they have therefore he's a good signing.

I do think he'd be our 5th choice behind McGregor, Hanlon, Fontaine and Forster, 6th if we get Ambrose.

we are hibs
23-05-2017, 04:06 PM
He's played at a good level for a long time. Always got a game at Ipswich so can't be that bad.

Not saying he's a world beater because I know he's not that, but he'll do well up here.

Ipswich are rancid. Watched Berra a few months back against Lincoln in the cup and he put in one of the worst performances ive seen in quite some time. I have no idea why hes in the Scotland squad

Thecat23
23-05-2017, 04:07 PM
Berra will easily be one of the best centre backs in the league. He's played a lot of games for Ipswich and is fit as a fiddle. Will definitely improve Hearts.

Hibs currently have the best batch of defenders as I've seen in 25 odd years watching. Wouldn't swap any of them but Berra is a similar standard to our guys.

I don't buy into "because he's played championship football he's good." Ipswich were awful and he was part of it. Just check the fans reaction and it will tell you all you need to know. He's miles behind all our defenders.

Ozyhibby
23-05-2017, 04:07 PM
He's better than they have therefore he's a good signing.

I do think he'd be our 5th choice behind McGregor, Hanlon, Fontaine and Forster, 6th if we get Ambrose.

There is no chance the Fontaine or Forster are better. That's just silly.

Thecat23
23-05-2017, 04:09 PM
There is no chance the Fontaine or Forster are better. That's just silly.

Fonts is.

Shrekko
23-05-2017, 04:14 PM
Fonts is.

Well by your logic he can't be surely as Bristol City fans were more than happy to be shot of Fonts when he left them. I also think you're kidding yourself in general because Berra is a really good signing for them. I was at an Ipswich game at the start of the season and he absolutely strolled it.

He's no world beater but he'll improve them quite considerably IMO.

Billychaotic182
23-05-2017, 04:24 PM
Some of the posts on here are so biased. Some people laughing that he is 32 and that is too old. What age will Mcgregor will be come the new season? He will be a great signing for them. Just because we are hibs fans doesn't mean we can't admit when our rivals sign a good player.

Doesn't make us any less hibs fans or Jambos in disguise.

Jones28
23-05-2017, 04:34 PM
So Berra and that other old ******* as their centre back pairing for next season?

Diclonius
23-05-2017, 04:43 PM
Good signing for Hearts - it still won't fix the numerous problems they still have though.

Gone are the days when Webster and Zaliukas shut us out in countless derbies - they have a fragile defense now and we have the best centre-back pairing we've had in years.

FitbaFolkKen
23-05-2017, 04:44 PM
I don't buy into "because he's played championship football he's good." Ipswich were awful and he was part of it. Just check the fans reaction and it will tell you all you need to know. He's miles behind all our defenders.

Had a look on their forums and it wasn't that negative, mostly wishing him well and thanking him for his service.

I think he'll do a decent job for them next season and won't be as bad as you and some others have made out.

He has decent pedigree and while he is towards the end of his career will probably do a pretty job but won't be of the same standard he was when he left for Wolves.

Suppose it is a bit like if we signed Whittaker, reliving past glories!

Super_JMcGinn
23-05-2017, 04:44 PM
Some of the posts on here are so biased. Some people laughing that he is 32 and that is too old. What age will Mcgregor will be come the new season? He will be a great signing for them. Just because we are hibs fans doesn't mean we can't admit when our rivals sign a good player.

Can't argue with any of that.:aok:

Bostonhibby
23-05-2017, 04:51 PM

Watched him in Ipswich cup game against Lincoln. Pulled all over the place and the big guy Lincoln had in the middle was slow but he left Berra for dead. Poor player that night. Thought he was past it so a good signing for the thieves.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

lucky
23-05-2017, 04:58 PM
He'll be their best CH but I wouldn't want him at Hibs as he's not as good as Daz or Paul

HIBERNIAN-0762
23-05-2017, 05:30 PM
He's mince.

Next....

SuperAllyMcleod
23-05-2017, 05:30 PM
Probably a reasonable signing for them, but not if Cathro plays him on the right wing - he has history with playing players out of position. [emoji4]

tamig
23-05-2017, 05:31 PM

I thought Berra was over rated before he moved south from then. I haven't seen much of him the past few years other than his poor showings for Scotland. I don't think he's a great centre half and am more than happy for him to eat up a reasonable chunk of their playing budget 👍

Hiber-nation
23-05-2017, 05:40 PM
Very good signing for one season, he'll be past it after that.

bingo70
23-05-2017, 05:46 PM
Signing a 32 year old isn't a bad thing in isolation, there's been plenty good players older than that.

To sign a 32 year old to partner a 35 year old (or however old Hughes is) is lunacy and to give him a 3 year deal is even worse.

They'll still have John souttar to provide some youth but can't say I've ever been that impressed with him.

bigwheel
23-05-2017, 05:47 PM
He's a current internationalist, and regular starter for Ipswich - that's a decent signing for Hearts...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CraigHibee
23-05-2017, 05:47 PM

he is a poor man's michael nelson

squire
23-05-2017, 05:48 PM
Berra is a brown trout.

Aldo
23-05-2017, 05:49 PM
Signing a 32 year old isn't a bad thing in isolation, there's been plenty good players older than that. To sign a 32 year old to partner a 35 year old (or however old Hughes is) is lunacy and to give him a 3 year deal is even worse. They'll still have John souttar to provide some youth but can't say I've ever been that impressed with him.

37 and is 38 in November!

If this is their regular CH pairing then pace will hurt them.

MWHIBBIES
23-05-2017, 05:50 PM
He'll do fine for them, dunno why folk go on so much about pace for defenders. He was never quick and made a good career for himself. None of the top defenders in the world are quick.

ancient hibee
23-05-2017, 05:52 PM
Speed between the ears is the most important.

Stubbsy2016
23-05-2017, 06:01 PM
He's a decent signing for them but they still don't have as good a defence as us.

McGregor/Ambrose/Hanlon > Souttar/Berra/Hughes

Although it is close ;)

Ozyhibby
23-05-2017, 06:02 PM
He'll do fine for them, dunno why folk go on so much about pace for defenders. He was never quick and made a good career for himself. None of the top defenders in the world are quick.

Strangely enough plenty folk claiming he is fast which is not what I remember about Berra? Good in the air and good defender but not fast?

Kato
23-05-2017, 06:15 PM

Cathro had advertised to all and sundry he wants his defence to play a high line, pace is vital with those tactics. Seems a strange signing in that case.

Bostonhibby
23-05-2017, 06:21 PM
Cathro had advertised to all and sundry he wants his defence to play a high line, pace is vital with those tactics. Seems a strange signing in that case.
Even Cathro must have worked out why he gets his instructions via post it notes and Potter does the half time motivational bit.

Potter does the signing, Potter doesn't want to play a high line. Potter thinks Berra is good.

lord bunberry
23-05-2017, 06:22 PM
He's better than what they've already got and he will be more of a leader on the park. I wouldn't want him signing for hibs though. I suspect he will be their big signing for the summer as well.

Malthibby
23-05-2017, 06:23 PM
Watched him in Ipswich cup game against Lincoln. Pulled all over the place and the big guy Lincoln had in the middle was slow but he left Berra for dead. Poor player that night. Thought he was past it so a good signing for the thieves.

B-gger this reasonable pash - this is what I want to hear. Berra than our guys? I don't think so.
GG

Bostonhibby
23-05-2017, 06:26 PM
B-gger this reasonable pash - this is what I want to hear. Berra than our guys? I don't think so.
GG
Honestly how I saw it. The whole ipswich defence looked a bit shaky against non league Lincoln who should have won more comfortably

Aldo
23-05-2017, 06:28 PM
Honestly how I saw it. The whole ipswich defence looked a bit shaky against non league Lincoln who should have won more comfortably Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

I posted earlier that it was Theo Robinson and Matt Reade that ran them ragged.. (Theo anyway)

Lago
23-05-2017, 06:31 PM
Unsure why so many posters seem to think that 32 is an old age for a footballer.
Especially when we are being linked with Commons.

Sir David Gray
23-05-2017, 06:32 PM
I think he'll be decent up here to be honest. Don't get me wrong it's not got me quaking in my boots but I don't think he'll be the disaster that some are predicting.

I don't fully understand giving a 32 year old a 3 year deal though.

Bostonhibby
23-05-2017, 06:33 PM
I posted earlier that it was Theo Robinson and Matt Reade that ran them ragged.. (Theo anyway)
Reade is a really skilful player for his size. Robinson was probably the best player in lincolns cup run.

Aldo
23-05-2017, 06:34 PM
Reade is a really skilful player for his size. Robinson was probably the best player in lincolns cup run. Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
He was but sure he didn't see it to the end, signing for a League club in the transfer window!

Bostonhibby
23-05-2017, 06:45 PM
He was but sure he didn't see it to the end, signing for a League club in the transfer window!
Yep, got himself a decent move to Southend. Imps weren't happy with the timing but never impacted much on their league season in the end

Onceinawhile
23-05-2017, 06:59 PM
Middle name is Didier. That's relevant because he's about the only signing that could have made their defence Didier.

Aldo
23-05-2017, 07:07 PM
Yep, got himself a decent move to Southend. Imps weren't happy with the timing but never impacted much on their league season in the end Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

I knew he had signed for someone but couldn't remember who for!

Deansy
23-05-2017, 07:12 PM

Agreed, he was never that quick and so I'm really looking forward to his reaction when he realises that, this time around at the PBS, all of his team-mates are of a calibre that Hearts can actually afford - the shock may be too much for him ?

Cookiehibs
23-05-2017, 07:40 PM
Don't know if anyone has already mentioned this but is that hearts pushing out the boat again for players on extortionate salaries? Berra must have been on a few quid at Ipswich. Either that or he's quite happy to take a massive wage cut.
I've watch a lot of Berra and I've never been impressed. Loves a long ball, quite erratic at times but might be ok in a poorer league.

Libby Hibby
23-05-2017, 07:49 PM
My opinion that Berra is rotten is based on my eyes telling me so.

Nothing to do with allegencies or past playing history.

The guy is a mistake maker, a poor footballer and god only knows how he has stayed a pro for so long.

It was rife in the Scotland Squads that he was in that he was the laughing stock he was that bad.

IberianHibernian
23-05-2017, 09:07 PM
3 - year deal after problems Hearts have had with other underperforming players on long contracts suggests bigger clubs will have offered him shorter deals .

HibbySpurs
23-05-2017, 10:41 PM
Don't know if anyone has already mentioned this but is that hearts pushing out the boat again for players on extortionate salaries? Berra must have been on a few quid at Ipswich. Either that or he's quite happy to take a massive wage cut.
I've watch a lot of Berra and I've never been impressed. Loves a long ball, quite erratic at times but might be ok in a poorer league.

Was just thinking much the same... a poor season and all of a sudden it's a crowd pleaser with a "marquee" signing.

Can't imagine he'll be on buttons. I would thin they could have got more for their money here and the signing looks like a knee jerk reaction that lacks imagination.

It will please their fans though as they'll take the view that they are back to signing full international players....

Might have to trim the spec of that stand to pay for it though...

SirDavidsNapper
23-05-2017, 10:44 PM
3 - year deal after problems Hearts have had with other underperforming players on long contracts suggests bigger clubs will have offered him shorter deals .

I don't think we offered him anything

jacomo
23-05-2017, 11:16 PM
I don't think we offered him anything

We told Lee Wallace that we'd offered a 2 year deal. Then it took its own course.

allezsauzee
24-05-2017, 07:27 AM
I hate to say it but I think Berra will be a very good signing for Hearts. I would imagine he'll play alongside Souttar rather than Hughes. I'm more concerned about who we are signing rather than who Hearts are though and if Lenny is going for 2nd place, Aberdeen are the yardstick not Hearts.

dunedinhibs
24-05-2017, 08:17 AM
I hate to say it but I think Berra will be a very good signing for Hearts. I would imagine he'll play alongside Souttar rather than Hughes. I'm more concerned about who we are signing rather than who Hearts are though and if Lenny is going for 2nd place, Aberdeen are the yardstick not Hearts.

This. Totally agree.

blackpoolhibs
24-05-2017, 02:16 PM
He was half decent when he left them, now he's back at 32 and probably a bit more wiser. He's an improvement on what they have, but he's no world beater, just an old player who was ok that's returned.

He's hardly got me sheiting myself.

JDHibs
24-05-2017, 02:24 PM
Be a decent signing to play along side Souttar with Hughes as back up. Big improvement on the others theyve been using.

Played at a higher level and been a constant in the Ipswich team, should stroll the top league up here.

BSEJVT
24-05-2017, 04:20 PM
His age is irrelevant to me as are his previous clubs in formulating my opinion of him.

I appreciate that in playing for Scotland he is largely playing against players of a higher standard than he will face in the SPL but he is also playing with better players than he will play with, who cover up his shortcomings better.

Will he be the worst centre half in the league, No

But he wont be the best centre half in the capital either.

I rather suspect that he is finding the Championship increasingly difficult and has moved on before he got found out.

I suspect he will get found out a bit in the SPL also.

Geo_1875
24-05-2017, 04:23 PM
I don't understand the criticism aimed at The Famous for resigning Berra.

After all he's only 32 and has been reasonably successful at a decent level in England.

He's a similar age and played at the same level as Joey Barton and look at the raging success of a season he had at The Rangers.

Deansy
24-05-2017, 11:01 PM
'Is Christope bait to sell season tickets'

It was almost 'coffee spluttered over monitor' time !. This was posted in the 'Scotsman's article on them signing Berra - one of them genuinely thinks Berra is some sort of attraction/draw, a 'name' !! I've politely asked (EEN doesn't approve of WTF) just what is they muppets see on a pitch that the more 'grounded', realistic fan doesn't ?? Still waiting on a reply !

pacorosssco
24-05-2017, 11:17 PM

Agree decent signing unless 10k a week. Who cares all about us. We dont need ch well covered in that area.

Tha Cabbage Kid
25-05-2017, 09:02 AM
Anyone who thinks Berra is horrific is delusional!

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Thecat23
25-05-2017, 09:10 AM
Anyone who thinks Berra is horrific is delusional!

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Well that'll be that then, just close the thread. 😂

Bostonhibby
25-05-2017, 09:17 AM
Well that'll be that then, just close the thread. 😂
I've seen him and the rest of the Ipswich defence, first hand, not coping very well with lincoln city.

Admittedly it was only two games but I was expecting better given the apparent gulf between the sides and Berra's history but was left thinking he / they weren't very good. No leadership on the pitch which is odd for a Mccarthy team.

Opinion based on what I seen rather than anything else.

Craig_HFC
25-05-2017, 09:25 AM
He'll be a good signing for them but if he's their 'marquee signing' this year then I'll be delighted.

Jim44
25-05-2017, 09:36 AM
Good signing. He was decent when last there and, despite the Strachan factor, most International call-ups have something to offer. Don't give that lot the satisfaction of believing we are remotely concerned, by indiscriminatingly rubbishing him.

Steve20
25-05-2017, 09:45 AM
He's not that great to be honest. Might do a decent job in the Scottish Premiership, but he's not near as good as McGregor or Hanlon.

Not In The Know
25-05-2017, 09:46 AM
Quote from Berra in the EEN

"“We all know it’s difficult to topple Celtic at the moment but we want to be challenging Aberdeen and Rangers to get back to where we belong, qualifying for Europe."

Read more at: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/former-captain-perry-kitchen-on-his-way-out-at-hearts-1-4456156

so the Jamboids don't even see us as threat next year...

renato
25-05-2017, 10:16 AM

"“We all know it’s difficult to topple Celtic at the moment but we want to be challenging Aberdeen and Rangers to get back to where we belong, qualifying for Europe."

Read more at: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/former-captain-perry-kitchen-on-his-way-out-at-hearts-1-4456156

Just saw that too. That's fine though, I hope their whole team has the same opinion....they'll get a wee shock in that case.

Bostonhibby
25-05-2017, 10:20 AM
Just saw that too. That's fine though, I hope their whole team has the same opinion....they'll get a wee shock in that case.
My thinking as well, could be that they're hoping to distract the believers from the reality of their standing against us recently?

They've got expensive season tickets to sell, cakes to get baked and so much more cash to extract from the idiots before a ball is kicked.

Highland_Hibee
25-05-2017, 11:03 AM
Think folk are kidding themselves if they don't believe Berra will improve their defence.

25-05-2017, 11:37 AM

They do see us as a threat, now that we're back they're bricking it. The answer has been carefully worded to exclude us (and St Johnstone) as that will keep the Jambos capable of reading happy. It's in keeping with their typical arrogance.

When derby time comes round again they'll be back to claiming they'll win by four or five goals when deep down they'll know there's no chance of that happening.