PDA

View Full Version : Hibs' name is on the Scottish Cup, Rangers' isn't...

Springbank
22-05-2017, 08:14 PM
just a wee thread to say I visited the Scottish Football Museum and took the Hampden Stadium Tour today.
a fantastic day out, i would recommend it to any Hibee.
Lots of Famous Five memorabilia, Pat Stanton at al in the Scottish Football Hall of fame, a signed George Best Hibs top on display, lots of European Hibee adventures mentioned.
We got on the Hampden pitch (legally, as it happens hehe)

But perhaps my favourite story, and it's true, is that Rangers name isn't on the Scottish Cup (the first time it appears is on the wooden plynth). However, both Hibs & Hearts, and even St Bernards & Vale of Leithen, are all on the actual cup, having won it in those early years.

So, if I'd known 366 days ago, I'd have been more confident going into THE final...Hibs name is on the cup, rangers isn't.

A great 2 hours going round the museum and taking the Hampden Park tour, though - well worth it :)

Pretty Boy
22-05-2017, 08:17 PM
The museum at Hampden is one of the few things the SFA have got absolutely spot on in recent times.

It's interesting, well laid out and even includes a bit of humour in parts. Well worth a visit imo.

Highland_Hibee
22-05-2017, 08:18 PM
I like that. Sounds like it's worth a wind up or two at least. "You're name isn't on the cup" "Ohh another Sevco joke huh?" "No, your name is literally not on the cup".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snooky
22-05-2017, 09:06 PM
Must have changed the personnel. I went there several years ago with a mate (who is a RFC supporter, as it happens).
I felt like I was getting a tour of Ibrox/Parkhead as all the guide spoke about was the OF.
Both me and my mate found a couple of errors in the museum. Don't know if they ever corrected them.

Springbank
22-05-2017, 09:30 PM
I have to say, in all honesty, there was a lot of Hibs stuff there, more than hearts, and they may well have changed things as there wasn't an old firm dominance of the tour at all today.
It may have helped that we had hibs gear on!
But there's an interview with Joe baker, talking about playing for Hibs Torino and Arsenal; we watched the Famous 5 (individually) and then pat Stantons videos in the hall of Fame, and there are some good bits on the dundee Utd and Aberdeen teams of the 80s.

Well impressed and I'd say they didn't fall into the old firm trap. Good day out for a Hibee, especially now the hoodoo is over

Forza Fred
23-05-2017, 07:55 AM
I went there just before the 2013 cup final against Celtic.

Thoroughly enjoyable and informative.

Renfrew_Hibby
23-05-2017, 09:43 AM
Been on a few stadium tours and usually the guide will taylor his tour to who the group or the majority supports.

Keith_M
23-05-2017, 09:49 AM
Used to live round the corner and been in a few times. I never got the feeling it was an old-firm dominated experience and, in fact, the guy taking the tour was a Third Lanark fan (seriously!). He wrote a book about his club and I've got a copy.

I loved the wee gift shop, from which I've bought a whole load of stuff, and also like the cafe... especially the rather nice young ladies who used to work there ;-)

McSwanky
23-05-2017, 12:55 PM
I did the tour earlier this year, and I've got nothing but good things to say about it. The kids enjoyed having a go at blasting the ball into the back of the net in the wee practice area. I may or may not also have taken part!!!

NYHibby
23-05-2017, 05:51 PM
But perhaps my favourite story, and it's true, is that Rangers name isn't on the Scottish Cup (the first time it appears is on the wooden plynth). However, both Hibs & Hearts, and even St Bernards & Vale of Leithen, are all on the actual cup, having won it in those early years.

So, if I'd known 366 days ago, I'd have been more confident going into THE final...Hibs name is on the cup, rangers isn't.

Rangers won the Scottish Cup in 1894. St Bernard's won it for the first time the following year, 1895. There is no way St Bernard's are on the cup and Rangers are not.

Judging by this picture (http://www.heraldscotland.com/resources/images/6007106/), 1892 was the last year on the back of the cup so neither of them are on.

Springbank
23-05-2017, 08:21 PM
Rangers won the Scottish Cup in 1894. St Bernard's won it for the first time the following year, 1895. There is no way St Bernard's are on the cup and Rangers are not.

Judging by this picture (http://www.heraldscotland.com/resources/images/6007106/), 1892 was the last year on the back of the cup so neither of them are on.

I don't doubt you, that'll be my fault mixing up St Bernards with Renton, sorry.

The very last name on the cup is Celtic fwiw, with both Hibs and Hearts already on there. But definitely not any Rangers, v1, v2, or in any shape or form