PDA

View Full Version : Horse Racing (General)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

ekhibee
21-05-2017, 08:55 PM
No American Triple Crown winner this year then.

Good return to the track by Caravaggio at Naas. I still think he'll stay a mile but O'Brien's keeping him at sprint distances just now. Fav for the Commonwealth Cup at Royal Ascot.

Pretty Boy
21-05-2017, 09:15 PM
Frankel gets his first classic winner with Soul Stirring winning the Japanese Oaks. Be interesting to see how he develops the Galileo lineage once he starts to really put his stamp on his foals

Pretty Boy
22-05-2017, 09:27 AM
Churchill is going to miss the Derby and is heading to the Curragh for the Irish 2000 Guineas instead.

It's funny because everyone always says the Guineas is the best indicator for the derby but the double doesn't happen that often. Camelot, Sea The Stars and Nashwan the only 3 to win both in 30 years, it's 4 in 49 years if you go back to Nijinsky.

ekhibee
22-05-2017, 09:50 AM
Churchill is going to miss the Derby and is heading to the Curragh for the Irish 2000 Guineas instead.

It's funny because everyone always says the Guineas is the best indicator for the derby but the double doesn't happen that often. Camelot, Sea The Stars and Nashwan the only 3 to win both in 30 years, it's 4 in 49 years if you go back to Nijinsky.
Yeh, strange one that, Churchill certainly looked like he'd stay and has some breeding on the sire's side to back that up. Coolmore have something like 5 or 6 entries for the Derby, and the breeding side plays a huge part in their operation. They could try and 'do a Frankel' and keep Churchill for the mile races, probably keep him in training as a 4 year old and run him over a mile and a quarter and then Champions Day or the Breeders Cup. Meanwhile another O'Brien horse (at the moment it looks like Cliffs of Moher) wins the Derby and boosts his value as well.

HibernianJK
22-05-2017, 09:07 PM
Frankel gets his first classic winner with Soul Stirring winning the Japanese Oaks. Be interesting to see how he develops the Galileo lineage once he starts to really put his stamp on his foals

I think most were expecting miracles from Frankels first lot last year and it just doesn't work like that in breeding. They're not all going to be stars no matter how good the sire/dam is.

On the derby, Dubai Thunder probably going to carry my money as it stands. No outstanding candidate IMO and very impressive at York last week.

Leith's finest
22-05-2017, 09:45 PM
A kind of hijack, does anybody òn here get genuine tips for horses/greyhound etc

Pretty Boy
23-05-2017, 06:38 AM
A kind of hijack, does anybody òn here get genuine tips for horses/greyhound etc

I used to have a small share in a couple of horses as well as being a memeber of a small racing club that had 2 horses. The trainer was more likely to tell us when a horse wasn't going to run well rather than when they were. Often they would be placed in a race just to get a run and some fitness. Horses that had gone up in the handicap were also run regularly in races they were unlikely to win to try and get them back on to a more suitable mark.

Of course we would hear when the horses had been 'found a good race' or 'are ready to go' but I can't recall ever being told a horse would win. For that reason I'm always wary of people who claim to be 'in the know' with regards racing and tips.

Treadstone
25-05-2017, 08:58 PM

Always thought it was for the whole field and not just the winner. Not so much now but beaten horses turning up on Derby Day in the past were interesting a la Generous 1991.

ekhibee
25-05-2017, 11:57 PM
Always thought it was for the whole field and not just the winner. Not so much now but beaten horses turning up on Derby Day in the past were interesting a la Generous 1991.
The most obvious example of that was probably Mill Reef, beaten 3 lengths by Brigadier Gerard in the 2000 Guineas and then going on to win the Derby and other classics in emphatic style. One of the best racehorses of all time.

Treadstone
26-05-2017, 08:31 AM
The most obvious example of that was probably Mill Reef, beaten 3 lengths by Brigadier Gerard in the 2000 Guineas and then going on to win the Derby and other classics in emphatic style. One of the best racehorses of all time.

One of the horses I'd love to have been around for. His team considered him vulnerable to being beaten in the Derby but the time the arc came they thought he was invincible. Love that confidence and knowing.

HibernianJK
26-05-2017, 09:09 AM

Australia another example of that recently

Pretty Boy
27-05-2017, 05:01 PM
Churchill does the Guineas double. St James Palace seems to be the plan then a step up to 10f.

Can see him improving again on slightly better ground. I wasn't sure about him but he looks a serious horse.

HibernianJK
27-05-2017, 06:40 PM
Churchill does the Guineas double. St James Palace seems to be the plan then a step up to 10f.

Can see him improving again on slightly better ground. I wasn't sure about him but he looks a serious horse.

He was good today but I think the 3YO milers is quite a week division.

Pretty Boy
28-05-2017, 03:40 PM
Winter shows Newmarket was no fluke by again beating Rhododendron at the Curragh.

ekhibee
28-05-2017, 05:20 PM
Winter shows Newmarket was no fluke by again beating Rhododendron at the Curragh.
Rhododendron didn't run at the Curragh, but Winter was still impressive. Good horse. O'Brien 1-2-3.

Pretty Boy
28-05-2017, 07:18 PM
Rhododendron didn't run at the Curragh, but Winter was still impressive. Good horse. O'Brien 1-2-3.

You're right of course. I only just saw the race now.

Went by the Racing Post who had Rhododendron 2nd on their results and mentioned her in their report too. It's now been amended, I did think it was strange but didn't bother to check.

ekhibee
28-05-2017, 10:51 PM
You're right of course. I only just saw the race now.

Went by the Racing Post who had Rhododendron 2nd on their results and mentioned her in their report too. It's now been amended, I did think it was strange but didn't bother to check.
I'm sure I read an interview with O'Brien within the last week or so saying he's going to try Rhododendron over longer distances, maybe one of the Oaks or one of the bigger mile and a quarter races. That might be a shrewd move, she certainly wasn't stopping in the 1000 guineas, but it's still hard to tell whether she stays further IMO. She had trouble in running there and when she eventually found a way through she ran on well, but that doesn't mean she'll stay longer distances.

As for the Irish 2000, Churchill did what Churchill does- nothing too flashy but gets the job done comfortably enough. Interesting that the second, Thunder Snow, was a naughty boy in America but showed that he is actually a decent horse. I must sound like a broken record going on about Caravaggio, but at Royal Ascot he hammered Thunder Snow out of sight.

Pretty Boy
30-05-2017, 04:49 PM
What's everyones thoughts on the saga of the mare Diore Lia and her derby entry? 1000/1 outsider, 2 starts seeing her finishing 8/9 and 5/8, rated 52 and going to be ridden by an apprentice with no wins in 34 races. Her owner and new trainer, who she was moved to after the previous one objected to the Derby plan, are insisting she is going to run.

I know it's for charity and whatever but the Derby should be for elite horses, allowing a horse more suited to a claimer on a Thursday night at Kempton AW makes a mockery of the race imo.

lord bunberry
30-05-2017, 06:21 PM
What's everyones thoughts on the saga of the mare Diore Lia and her derby entry? 1000/1 outsider, 2 starts seeing her finishing 8/9 and 5/8, rated 52 and going to be ridden by an apprentice with no wins in 34 races. Her owner and new trainer, who she was moved to after the previous one objected to the Derby plan, are insisting she is going to run.

I know it's for charity and whatever but the Derby should be for elite horses, allowing a horse more suited to a claimer on a Thursday night at Kempton AW makes a mockery of the race imo.
I don't know if it makes a mockery of the race, but it's just plain stupid. On a track like Epsom a horse back-pedalling through the field can cause havoc. Hopefully it stays at the back of the field and doesn't get in anyone's way. I'll be pretty pissed off if it stops my horse getting a run.

ekhibee
31-05-2017, 06:01 PM
Difficult one. You're quite right about how the Derby should be for elite horses, but let's be realistic, many of this lot have very little chance, and others are talked up then flop badly. I was looking through the field today, at least half of them have serious question marks with regards staying a mile and a half. This horse is running for charity, so I don't have any problem with it running other than the concerns Lord Bunberry mentioned re. getting in the way.

Pretty Boy
31-05-2017, 06:46 PM
Here's one for you. Since 1st January 2010, 9 horses have won more than 10 chases in the UK and Ireland (excluding hunter chases). Can you name them? I got 7 and would have never got the 2 I didn't.

HibernianJK
31-05-2017, 07:11 PM
Nobody is going to have to worry about Diore Lia any longer as the BHA has said the jockey will not be allowed to ride so the horse shall not run.

ekhibee
31-05-2017, 09:10 PM
Here's one for you. Since 1st January 2010, 9 horses have won more than 10 chases in the UK and Ireland (excluding hunter chases). Can you name them? I got 7 and would have never got the 2 I didn't.
Wow, that's harder than I thought. I can only get 7 as well, and I'm not sure that they're all right anyway. Silvianaco Conte, Cue Card, Sprinter Sacre, Sire De Grugy, Sizing Europe, Don Cossack, Balthazar King.

Pretty Boy
31-05-2017, 09:14 PM
Wow, that's harder than I thought. I can only get 7 as well, and I'm not sure that they're all right anyway. Silvianaco Conte, Cue Card, Sprinter Sacre, Sire De Grugy, Sizing Europe, Don Cossack, Balthazar King.

All correct.

HibernianJK
31-05-2017, 10:08 PM
All correct.

Menorah?

ekhibee
31-05-2017, 11:10 PM
Menorah?
9 wins.

Treadstone
01-06-2017, 12:11 PM
Pigeon Island?

Pretty Boy
01-06-2017, 03:10 PM
Pigeon Island?

Nope, only 4 chase wins.

Clue - 1 is a Gigginstown horse, the other has a name that matches his colour.

WeeRussell
02-06-2017, 11:24 AM
Nope, only 4 chase wins.

Clue - 1 is a Gigginstown horse, the other has a name that matches his colour.

Chestnut Ben? Such a wild stab that I had to have a look at his horse profile to make sure I wasn't making a fool of myself, but there's a few chase wins in there. ?

Pretty Boy
02-06-2017, 11:57 AM
Chestnut Ben? Such a wild stab that I had to have a look at his horse profile to make sure I wasn't making a fool of myself, but there's a few chase wins in there. ?

Correct. 11 chase wins since 2010.

One to find, Gigginstown, trained by Gordon Elliot, French name.....

ekhibee
02-06-2017, 04:30 PM
Correct. 11 chase wins since 2010.

One to find, Gigginstown, trained by Gordon Elliot, French name.....
Lol Well I've looked through the Elliott ones, none of them that I can see have won 10. The only De Bromhead ones are Valseur Lido and Petit Mouchoir, it's neither of them. Really frustrating, but great question PB, really got me thinking.

easty
02-06-2017, 04:49 PM
Good day for me. Tenner each way acc on

De Bruyne Horse
G K Chesterton
Highland Reel
Enable

£2300 back

Happy days

Pretty Boy
02-06-2017, 05:15 PM
Lol Well I've looked through the Elliott ones, none of them that I can see have won 10. The only De Bromhead ones are Valseur Lido and Petit Mouchoir, it's neither of them. Really frustrating, but great question PB, really got me thinking.

The answer is Roi Du Mee.

I spent, quite literally, hours trying to work it out.

Pretty Boy
03-06-2017, 10:04 AM
Anyone heading to Musselburgh for Edinburgh Cup day today? Aa good a place as any to watch the Derby I think. Looking forward to it.

ekhibee
03-06-2017, 10:10 AM
Predictions for the Derby? I've now watched a replay of the race with Cracksman and Permian several times, I just can't make my mind up about them. I think they'll probably stay, but it was really close, and I don't really think Bay of Poets, who was a close 3rd, is good enough to win a Derby really, so I'm stuck for a bet! Seemed more about speed than staying power that race, but we'll see.

Pretty Boy
03-06-2017, 10:29 AM
Predictions for the Derby? I've now watched a replay of the race with Cracksman and Permian several times, I just can't make my mind up about them. I think they'll probably stay, but it was really close, and I don't really think Bay of Poets, who was a close 3rd, is good enough to win a Derby really, so I'm stuck for a bet! Seemed more about speed than staying power that race, but we'll see.

I think I'll be siding with Cracksman. I thought his beating of Permian was good form and the latter winning the Dante, statistically the best indicator for the Derby in recent years, franks that.

All the noises from his camp are positive and his gallop at Epsom last week looked good, if you put any faith in that.

IanM
03-06-2017, 03:29 PM
Cracksman for me..

ekhibee
03-06-2017, 03:58 PM
Well, I never saw THAT coming...40/1 shot wins.

ekhibee
20-06-2017, 03:29 PM
Another bubble burst, Churchill well beaten in the St James Palace.

Pretty Boy
30-06-2017, 03:11 PM
The racing club I'm a member of has just taken a seasons lease on the horse in the pictures. Unraced 6 years old gelding by Kings Theatre (sire of Cue Card, Menorah, The New One) and out of Ring of Water (dam of Minella Forfitness and Minella Theatre). We are quite excited by this one. In training with Paul Henderson

ekhibee
30-06-2017, 08:51 PM
The racing club I'm a member of has just taken a seasons lease on the horse in the pictures. Unraced 6 years old gelding by Kings Theatre (sire of Cue Card, Menorah, The New One) and out of Ring of Water (dam of Minella Forfitness and Minella Theatre). We are quite excited by this one. In training with Paul Henderson

Good luck, I take it he's a jumper?

Pretty Boy
30-06-2017, 08:58 PM
Good luck, I take it he's a jumper?

Yep, not been without his problems. Was bought for £27K as a 2 year old but had a few injury issues.

Hopefully all behind him and he was certainly bred with serious intent. He's not going to go running in Grade 1s but he'll give us a bit of fun for a year and we'll see how it goes from there. Plan at the moment is to get a bumper under his belt and then go hurdling with a view to going chasing long term. If he does well I dare say that will be in the colours of his owner rather than us though.

ekhibee
01-07-2017, 09:07 PM
Yep, not been without his problems. Was bought for £27K as a 2 year old but had a few injury issues.

Hopefully all behind him and he was certainly bred with serious intent. He's not going to go running in Grade 1s but he'll give us a bit of fun for a year and we'll see how it goes from there. Plan at the moment is to get a bumper under his belt and then go hurdling with a view to going chasing long term. If he does well I dare say that will be in the colours of his owner rather than us though.
Great news mate, hope you all have a lot of fun with him. I always think back to the likes of Mysilv when she was running for Elite Racing, another syndicate made of ordinary punters like you and I. what a great wee horse she was too. Plenty of other good horses have run and are still running for syndicates like yours. And of course there's that film about Dream Alliance.

ekhibee
02-07-2017, 05:34 PM
Frustrated punter rant: Whenever I back 1 of Weld's horses it gets beat and then out of the blue he'll get a winner in some big race and he's hailed as a brilliant trainer. I'll back it in it's next race and it'll get beat. Again. Really annoying!

Treadstone
02-07-2017, 06:15 PM
Frustrated punter rant: Whenever I back 1 of Weld's horses it gets beat and then out of the blue he'll get a winner in some big race and he's hailed as a brilliant trainer. I'll back it in it's next race and it'll get beat. Again. Really annoying!

Pretty Polly stakes I'm guessing. That winner though was hugely impressive.

ekhibee
03-07-2017, 01:14 AM
Pretty Polly stakes I'm guessing. That winner though was hugely impressive.
Yep, it was a good performance the winner. I just never seem to get Weld's horses right.

ekhibee
08-07-2017, 02:53 PM
Got the winner in the Eclipse! close thing though. Quite a dirty race too.

ekhibee
29-07-2017, 03:21 PM
Good performance by Enable, looks a top class filly after winning the King George. I would say that the weight for age thing in racing is a bit of a joke, the four year olds were carrying a stone more than she was, but thems the rules and that's just how it is.

HibernianJK
29-07-2017, 07:34 PM
Good performance by Enable, looks a top class filly after winning the King George. I would say that the weight for age thing in racing is a bit of a joke, the four year olds were carrying a stone more than she was, but thems the rules and that's just how it is.

Not had a look at the prices but I'm assuming she's vying for favoritism for the Arc with Almanzour? That would be some match up.

ekhibee
30-07-2017, 02:18 AM
Not had a look at the prices but I'm assuming she's vying for favoritism for the Arc with Almanzour? That would be some match up.
2/1 apparentely, Almanzor 3/1 and 7/2 in places. Almanzor's not been out this season yet, but you're right, it would be some race. Japanese horses are quite high up in the Arc betting again, but it's usually quite hard to work out their form. Can't see Enable ever running under a mile and a half, There's a lot of better horses over a mile/mile and a quarter than mile and a half. Gosden was talking about the Yorkshire Oaks as well.

ekhibee
03-08-2017, 04:25 PM
Another great performance in the Nassau by Winter. but performance of the day must surely be Billesdon Brook in the race after. I've never seen a performance like that before. Great stuff.

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-08-2017, 02:49 PM
Enable now FAV for the Arc after a very dominant performance from the front in The Yorkshire Oaks.

Pretty Boy
24-08-2017, 05:03 PM
Enable now FAV for the Arc after a very dominant performance from the front in The Yorkshire Oaks.

She looks the business.

Must have been a wee bit lonely out in front for so long and it almost looked like she was waiting on the other horses between 2 and 3 furlongs out. When Dettori asked her though the response was superb. From about a furlong to go she could have slowed to a trot and still won.

I think she'd get the St Leger distance tbh as there looks plenty in the tank but the Arc is the race that makes sense and with a good draw she's a serious contender.

HibernianJK
25-08-2017, 03:07 PM
Bit of an upset as Marsha beat Lady Aurelia. Don't think Lady A lost anything in defeat and would probably back her in any rematch. Not sure what Frankie was up to at the end. How could he think it wasn't close?

That was my only bet and pretty gutted as 2 furlongs out I thought it was sewn up!

Pretty Boy
25-08-2017, 04:15 PM
Bit of an upset as Marsha beat Lady Aurelia. Don't think Lady A lost anything in defeat and would probably back her in any rematch. Not sure what Frankie was up to at the end. How could he think it wasn't close?

That was my only bet and pretty gutted as 2 furlongs out I thought it was sewn up!

Seen a few people querying the photo on Twitter but it's indisputable and only confirmed what I saw in real time. Marsha was a pretty clear winner as far as photo finishes go.

Also sad that a lot of folks first reaction to Dabans injury was to moan about not getting their bets refunded. She started the race, took a bad step early on, went wrong and was potentially seriously injured (it may yet prove fatal). I don't understand why anyone would think they are entitled to a refund.

ekhibee
25-08-2017, 09:37 PM
IMO Enable is, purely and simply, a brilliant mile and a half horse, and thoroughly deserves her place at the head of the Arc betting. She probably does stay the St Leger distance, but I do fancy Capri for the St Leger so we'll see. The mile and a quarter horses, again IMO, look a lot better than the mile and a half ones with the exception of Enable, and Shutter Speed, who beat Enable over a mile and a quarter, was beaten out of sight by Ulysses, Churchill, Barney Roy etc at York so Enable should stick to at least a mile and a half in my opinion.

HibernianJK
28-08-2017, 10:23 AM
Seen a few people querying the photo on Twitter but it's indisputable and only confirmed what I saw in real time. Marsha was a pretty clear winner as far as photo finishes go.

Also sad that a lot of folks first reaction to Dabans injury was to moan about not getting their bets refunded. She started the race, took a bad step early on, went wrong and was potentially seriously injured (it may yet prove fatal). I don't understand why anyone would think they are entitled to a refund.

Yeah, my mate who was at York was pretty angry about Daban then changed his tune once he realised what happened. Hopefully more people will feel the same now.

ekhibee
16-09-2017, 07:46 PM
Some good news anyway, had Capri ante-post at 8/1 for the St Leger :greengrin

Pretty Boy
16-09-2017, 08:18 PM
Some good news anyway, had Capri ante-post at 8/1 for the St Leger :greengrin

Another Galileo Group 1 success.

He's 20 in January so getting on, Coolmore will miss him a lot when his fertility starts to dip or the worst happens, it's not often ex racer TBs live beyond mid 20s. He's carried on the Northen Dancer/Sadlers Wells line brilliantly.

Pretty Boy
01-10-2017, 02:16 PM
Enable wins the Arc very well. Great filly.

ekhibee
01-10-2017, 02:40 PM
Yep, totally agree. She does everything asked of her, a really really good horse. I can't help thinking that it looked like a handicap to me, Chantilly isn't Longchamp by any stretch of the imagination, and the field contained a lot of really good horses who don't stay a mile and a half, and the course isn't a stayers course either so the likes of Capri was never going to have a chance on a course with all the turns it has. But Dettori rode the horse brilliantly, and I've said for some time that there's virtually nobody in horse racing who knows the sport better than John Gosden.

HibernianJK
02-10-2017, 08:30 AM

Brilliant performance and was my only bet of the day. Gosden also said she could stay in training next year as well. Potential to be one of the best with performances like that and it's nice to see the horse coming from a stable other than Coolmore, although they did have plenty of success yesterday.

Pretty Boy
05-10-2017, 01:31 PM
One For Arthur to miss the entire NH season with damaged tendons. Aim is to bring him back for 2019.

Pretty Boy
06-10-2017, 06:54 PM
I thought some of you might like this photo.

It's Denman (having just had a roll about in the mud) with his part owner Paul Barber. He has been team chasing, showjumping and hunting for a few years post racing but age has started to catch up with him and he's no longer ridden beyond leisurely hacking and is now living back with Paul Nicholls at Ditcheat.

Pretty Boy
30-10-2017, 07:14 PM
Best time of the year as the flat winds down and the NH season gets into swing.

Charlie Hall at Wetherby on Saturday with Cue Card, Coneygree, Bristol de Mai, Blacklion and Sizing Codelco amomgst those still entered at this stage.

Tornadoes70
30-10-2017, 09:26 PM
I thought some of you might like this photo.

It's Denman (having just had a roll about in the mud) with his part owner Paul Barber. He has been team chasing, showjumping and hunting for a few years post racing but age has started to catch up with him and he's no longer ridden beyond leisurely hacking and is now living back with Paul Nicholls at Ditcheat.

Great to see a chasing legend being loved and looked after some six years or so after being retired. Great stuff.

:aok:

Pretty Boy
04-11-2017, 02:31 PM
Bristol De Mai wins a thriller. Cue Card fell and Coneygree pulled up, hopefully both now retired. They owe no one anything.

ekhibee
05-11-2017, 12:30 AM
Got a wee each-way treble on the 2nd day of the Breeders Cup, but it's been hard going finding winners, up till World Approval and Gun Runner. Lot of big price winners at Del Mar, and very few horses came from the back, you needed to be up with or near the pace. Arrogate was a big disappointment and hasn't been running nearly as well as he can, but Gun Runner's performance was really good, it's extremely hard to win a race like the Breeders Cup Classic by making all the running and then going on again at the end. Really good performance.

Pretty Boy
07-11-2017, 08:07 PM

In follow up to this, horse will make it's debut in the 1.25 at Chepstow tomorrow. 25/1 and likely to need the run but very exciting. Unfortunately I can't make it to Wales but will be an interested spectator from afar.

Future17
08-11-2017, 05:42 AM
In follow up to this, horse will make it's debut in the 1.25 at Chepstow tomorrow. 25/1 and likely to need the run but very exciting. Unfortunately I can't make it to Wales but will be an interested spectator from afar.

Ring Minella I assume?

Pretty Boy
08-11-2017, 06:01 AM
Ring Minella I assume?

That's the one.

Future17
08-11-2017, 12:34 PM
That's the one.

How did it do?

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-11-2017, 12:42 PM
How did it do?

Unplaced.

fav 1st
2nd fav 2nd
3rd fav 3rd

Pretty Boy
08-11-2017, 01:35 PM
How did it do?

Was very, very green but ran well enough considering before falling at the last. Thankfully he was on his feet quickly and was walked in by Paddy Brennan, who was also fine. Trainer has said no obvious issues and horse is in good spirits so hopefully he comes on for the run.

Was a nerve wracking couple of minutes from seeing the fall on TV to hearing he was up and fine.

Wilson
08-11-2017, 01:39 PM
Unplaced.

fav 1st
2nd fav 2nd
3rd fav 3rd

If results always went like that this game would be easy :)

Glad to hear the horse is fine.

ekhibee
08-11-2017, 04:56 PM
Was very, very green but ran well enough considering before falling at the last. Thankfully he was on his feet quickly and was walked in by Paddy Brennan, who was also fine. Trainer has said no obvious issues and horse is in good spirits so hopefully he comes on for the run.

Was a nerve wracking couple of minutes from seeing the fall on TV to hearing he was up and fine.
Great news that he's okay first and foremost, and let's hope he learns from this and goes on to have a successful career. Early days yet of course, you'll probably have to be patient with him.

Pretty Boy
19-11-2017, 01:32 PM
Faugheen back with a bang. 16 length win from Jezki at Punchestown, very good performance considering he has been off the track for almost 2 years.

Pretty Boy
25-11-2017, 02:16 PM
Bristol De Mai absolutely destroys the field in the Betfair. Unofficial winning margin is being quoted as 57 lengths!

I've said it before but it's about time connections done the right thing by Cue Card and let him enjoy the rest of his life. He looked like he hated every step there.

Tornadoes70
25-11-2017, 08:18 PM
Bristol De Mai absolutely destroys the field in the Betfair. Unofficial winning margin is being quoted as 57 lengths!

I've said it before but it's about time connections done the right thing by Cue Card and let him enjoy the rest of his life. He looked like he hated every step there.

Bristol De Mai ran superlatively. Won at a canter and still looked fresh going past the winning post. 11/10 was a huge price considering the way the race went. Top notch was also a very classy winner today.

Pretty Boy
26-11-2017, 09:21 AM
Bristol De Mai ran superlatively. Won at a canter and still looked fresh going past the winning post. 11/10 was a huge price considering the way the race went. Top notch was also a very classy winner today.

I got 7/4 in the morning which was essentially stealing money from the bookies.

Was a very good performance but I see he has been given a RPR of 185. That's only 5 short of Sprinter Sacre and Kauto Star who had both won multiple grade 1s by the time they earned that. Obviously it isn't an official mark but whoever does the ratings for the Post has got a little carried away imo.

It's set things up for an interesting season. BDM now has to prove he isn't just a mudlark and/or flat track bully. He definitely looks a bigger and more imposing horse this season but there are some big hitters still to play their hand. On good ground at Kempton and Cheltenham with a horse like Native River making him work for the lead and quality like Might Bite, Thistlecrack and Sizing John sitting poised I can see him having to improve a fair bit again. In saying that at only 6 he may well have the improvement in him.

Tornadoes70
26-11-2017, 07:18 PM
I got 7/4 in the morning which was essentially stealing money from the bookies.

Was a very good performance but I see he has been given a RPR of 185. That's only 5 short of Sprinter Sacre and Kauto Star who had both won multiple grade 1s by the time they earned that. Obviously it isn't an official mark but whoever does the ratings for the Post has got a little carried away imo.

It's set things up for an interesting season. BDM now has to prove he isn't just a mudlark and/or flat track bully. He definitely looks a bigger and more imposing horse this season but there are some big hitters still to play their hand. On good ground at Kempton and Cheltenham with a horse like Native River making him work for the lead and quality like Might Bite, Thistlecrack and Sizing John sitting poised I can see him having to improve a fair bit again. In saying that at only 6 he may well have the improvement in him.

Great points. It'll be fantastic to watch the next time BDM lines up against the likes of Sizing John and Native River etc which should prove a much sterner stiffer test. Cue Card has had a brilliant career but now finds it hard going coming up against up and coming rivals.

7/4 was like finding a genuine money tree the way the race panned out, brilliant!

Pretty Boy
27-11-2017, 08:23 PM
Our horse runs again tomorrow at Lingfield.

Odds of 40/1 are a pretty accurate reflection of the chances tbh. Longer term he needs further and 2 miles is really just about getting some racecourse experience and fitness. The aim is really just to make sure he gets round safely this time. In saying that trainer is in good form the last week or so and has had a couple of winners and a few big priced places so he isn’t ruling out a decent run. Ring came out of the last race well in spite of the fall and was full of himself in the paddock the next day, he’s also been schooling well so he seems happy and keen to go again.

Tornadoes70
29-11-2017, 04:11 PM
The King George VI looks like being a superb race this year with Bristol De Mai, Sizing John, Thistlecrack, Mightbite, Fox Norton, Douvan all taking part. Bristol De Mai ran as if it could be well worth a fair sized punt at around 5/1 ante post after leaving Cue Card trailing a long long way behind. We'll get to see the return of Thistlecrack on Friday in the Long Distance Hurdle and should give punters pointers to how the horse is shaping up. Douvan and Fox Norton take each other on prior to the King George in the Tingle Creek 9th December with the Bechers Chase held the same day with the likes of Blaklion, Vieux Lion Rouge and Gas Line Boy etc taking part which should also be a very good race. Also looking forward to the Ladbrokes Trophy on Saturday with a horse taking part that's won a bit of money for me in the past Singlefarmpayment. Some extremely good races to come in December with Boxing Day always a highlight in the racing calendar.

Wilson
30-11-2017, 04:08 PM

Odds of 40/1 are a pretty accurate reflection of the chances tbh. Longer term he needs further and 2 miles is really just about getting some racecourse experience and fitness. The aim is really just to make sure he gets round safely this time. In saying that trainer is in good form the last week or so and has had a couple of winners and a few big priced places so he isn’t ruling out a decent run. Ring came out of the last race well in spite of the fall and was full of himself in the paddock the next day, he’s also been schooling well so he seems happy and keen to go again.

I missed it. How did he get on?

Pretty Boy
30-11-2017, 05:00 PM
I missed it. How did he get on?

Was 10th of 15 finishers. As was thought 2 miles is far too sharp but the aim was to complete and that was achieved so everyone is happy.

Wilson
30-11-2017, 05:24 PM
Was 10th of 15 finishers. As was thought 2 miles is far too sharp but the aim was to complete and that was achieved so everyone is happy.

Nice one.

Tornadoes70
01-12-2017, 04:22 PM
Thistlecrack ran well considering the relatively long lay off. Became very tired towards 3 or 4 out and was beaten a fair margin by outsider Beer Goggles. UknowwhatImeanharry was beaten into second around 3 lengths or a bit more. There were some commentators and bookmakers who've lengthened the odds now dismissing Thistecrack's chances in the King George but I wouldn't necessarily be so quick to do so. Obviously needed the run out and may well come back in much better form for the run out. In saying that if the ground is soft or heavy going I'd have to put my hat on Bristol De Mai who ran superlatively in the race on Saturday when leaving Cue Card a long way behind however I'm sure Mightbite and Sizing John will have something to say about that. We'll get a look at Douvan and Fox Norton in their upcoming race on 9th December. Really glad I didn't put any money on the race today as it went to the 40/1 outsider Beer Goggles.

ekhibee
01-12-2017, 05:31 PM
Thistlecrack ran well considering the relatively long lay off. Became very tired towards 3 or 4 out and was beaten a fair margin by outsider Beer Goggles. UknowwhatImeanharry was beaten into second around 3 lengths or a bit more. There were some commentators and bookmakers who've lengthened the odds now dismissing Thistecrack's chances in the King George but I wouldn't necessarily be so quick to do so. Obviously needed the run out and may well come back in much better form for the run out. In saying that if the ground is soft or heavy going I'd have to put my hat on Bristol De Mai who ran superlatively in the race on Saturday when leaving Cue Card a long way behind however I'm sure Mightbite and Sizing John will have something to say about that. We'll get a look at Douvan and Fox Norton in their upcoming race on 9th December. Really glad I didn't put any money on the race today as it went to the 40/1 outsider Beer Goggles.
Yeh, some good points there. I wouldn't be too disappointed in Thistlecrack, first time back for ages and first time over hurdles probably since he won at the Cheltenham Festival a couple of seasons ago (unless he ran at Aintree after the festival). I would be more concerned with UknowwhatImeanHarry, he was race fit and beaten fair and square, although conceding 6 lbs.

Pretty Boy
01-12-2017, 09:03 PM
I thought Thistlecrack ran relatively well for a long way. It was obvious Tom Scudamore just looked after him after 3 out when it became obvious he wasn’t going to win, although he did let him have a bit of a race with Wholestone after the last. The stayers division is wide open this year, Uknowwhatimeanharry was the best of an average bunch last year so it’s hard to read the depth of that race today.

It will be interesting to see how Thistlecrack comes on from this. For all the Tizzard team have played down his injury a tendon problem is never straightforward for a thouroughbred and can often be a career ender. He was being spoken about as ‘unbeatable’ before he was outfought and outstayed by Many Clouds last season and he now has an injury and a deeper chasing division than the one he left to deal with. If nothing else it confirms that no matter how good the horse it takes a bit of luck and careful handling to keep coming back and winning season after season.

Tornadoes70
01-12-2017, 10:26 PM
I thought Thistlecrack ran relatively well for a long way. It was obvious Tom Scudamore just looked after him after 3 out when it became obvious he wasn’t going to win, although he did let him have a bit of a race with Wholestone after the last. The stayers division is wide open this year, Uknowwhatimeanharry was the best of an average bunch last year so it’s hard to read the depth of that race today.

It will be interesting to see how Thistlecrack comes on from this. For all the Tizzard team have played down his injury a tendon problem is never straightforward for a thouroughbred and can often be a career ender. He was being spoken about as ‘unbeatable’ before he was outfought and outstayed by Many Clouds last season and he now has an injury and a deeper chasing division than the one he left to deal with. If nothing else it confirms that no matter how good the horse it takes a bit of luck and careful handling to keep coming back and winning season after season.

Definitely needed the run out after the injury and layoff. Ran well up to two miles and more out. It must have been expected he'd tire and the price should really have reflected that rather than how he was prior to injury and layoff. Could come back very well on the 26th or not but it could go either way to be fair. Lots of ifs and maybes.

Tornadoes70
01-12-2017, 10:31 PM
Yeh, some good points there. I wouldn't be too disappointed in Thistlecrack, first time back for ages and first time over hurdles probably since he won at the Cheltenham Festival a couple of seasons ago (unless he ran at Aintree after the festival). I would be more concerned with UknowwhatImeanHarry, he was race fit and beaten fair and square, although conceding 6 lbs.

Good points. Thistlecrack was coming back after a long lay off and injury that is a valid excuse for being beaten by an outsider. His best form could reappear after this run which will undoubtedly put him back into racing mode.

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-12-2017, 04:53 PM
Very unsatisfactory race for numerous reasons. In saying that the winner hardly touched a twig all the way round and deserved its victory.

Tornadoes70
02-12-2017, 08:58 PM
The Ladbrokes Trophy today went to favourite Total Recall. i was on Singlefarmpayment who when coming through the field with a strong surge overreached for a fence and unfortunately fell when coming with a strong late run. Obviously its unknown whether or not he would have won but I'll be on this one in the Welsh National on December 27th at a big priced 33/1. Total Recall stayed on well to beat Whisper by a couple of lengths.

HibernianJK
03-12-2017, 01:47 AM
Although Thistlecraxk will undoubtably come on for the run I certainly couldn’t back him for the King George now. Got a feeling connections will be slightly disappointed with the run.

Total Recall won but Whisper is the one to take from that race giving him 14lbs and probably wins with a bit in hand level weights.

Pretty Boy
03-12-2017, 09:51 AM
I was on American yesterday who was a very good novice last year. He made a bad mistake 6 out that cost him about 5 places and never got going again, whether he was ever going to be competitive even without the mistake is debatable anyway.

Whisper is definitely one to take from the race. He ran Might Bite, generally short odds favourite for the King George, very close at Cheltenham last season. Although Might Bite ran all over the place after the last that is still good form and he loses nothing falling just short yesterda6 considering the swing in the weights.

The Bradstocks have also reported Coneygree needed the vet post race as he was struggling to breathe and they wanted him checked over. I believe he spent the night in an equine hospital. A mate of mine said after the Gold Cup that the way he ran the race would take so much out of him that he would never win another race of note, I was sceptical at the time but he’s looking spot on at the moment.

Magnus
04-12-2017, 03:07 PM
A mate of mine said after the Gold Cup that the way he ran the race would take so much out of him that he would never win another race of note, I was sceptical at the time but he’s looking spot on at the moment.
I have the same feeling about Thistlecrack after Cheltenham last January, outbattled by Many Clouds in a race only just shy of the Gold Cup distance.
Really hope I am wrong, as everyone loves seeing real superstar horses, but his return at Newbury the other day didnt give a huge amount for optimism.
When you look at the subsequent careers of recent Gold Cup and National winners, the likes of Kauto Star and Denman turning up year on year and being competitive was some achievement by horse and trainer.

Tornadoes70
09-12-2017, 06:46 PM
Fox Norton came up just short against the very good Nichols horse Politologue today in the Tingle Creek. Despite being beaten I think he'll come on for the run and could give a decent account of himself in the King George. Blaklion won the Bechers with a bit in hand and looks as if he'll be one of the shorter priced horses for the Grand National next year.

Pretty Boy
09-12-2017, 07:25 PM
Fox Norton came up just short against the very good Nichols horse Politologue today in the Tingle Creek. Despite being beaten I think he'll come on for the run and could give a decent account of himself in the King George. Blaklion won the Bechers with a bit in hand and looks as if he'll be one of the shorter priced horses for the Grand National next year.

I think today’s Tingle Creek confirms there are a couple of 2 mile chasers who when fit and on form are miles ahead of the rest. Politologue is a very decent horse but whether he’s a genuine Grade 1 horse is up for debate imo. I’m not sure Fox Norton has 3 miles in him but he was certainly rallying late on today so you never know. I’d be asking a few questions of Robbie Power who seemed to take a long time to start stoking him up and Politologue, a notoriously poor finisher, was allowed to get a good run on them up the hill. As an aside it was very sad to see Sir Valentino fatally injured in the race. but credit to Adrian Heskin who gave up his ride in the final race to stay with the horse to the end. He was treated for almost an hour on course so the vets gave him every chance; the tough side of the sport sadly.

In other races, no way will Finians Oscar go to the Arkle. I couldn’t quite work out what he was doing in that race today over 2 miles and his performance confirmed that. Totally outpaced and he’s a 3 miler in time, wouldn’t surprise me to see him in the Kauto Star/Feltham at Kempton on Boxing Day. Sceau Royal was an impressive winner. Blacklion was impressive and perhaps the extra year will help his stamina and get him home, I thought he was paddling after 2 out in the National last season after flying round the far side of the course and he never really got home. I worry he will end up very high in the weights for the National and that could prove decisive. It’s hard to work out the form of that race today between the top 2. The Last Samurai was giving away 6lbs but loves the heavy going whilst Blacklion probably benefited from having less weight on his back in that bog. Definitly Red was also very good in his race over the Mildmay course but I’d be surprised to see him in the National again this year.

Season really starting to shape up now and I can’t wait for Kempton in a couple of weeks.

Tornadoes70
09-12-2017, 07:38 PM
I think today’s Tingle Creek confirms there are a couple of 2 mile chasers who when fit and on form are miles ahead of the rest. Politologue is a very decent horse but whether he’s a genuine Grade 1 horse is up for debate imo. I’m not sure Fox Norton has 3 miles in him but he was certainly rallying late on today so you never know. I’d be asking a few questions of Robbie Power who seemed to take a long time to start stoking him up and Politologue, a notoriously poor finisher, was allowed to get a good run on them up the hill. As an aside it was very sad to see Sir Valentino fatally injured in the race. but credit to Adrian Heskin who gave up his ride in the final race to stay with the horse to the end. He was treated for almost an hour on course so the vets gave him every chance; the tough side of the sport sadly.

In other races, no way will Finians Oscar go to the Arkle. I couldn’t quite work out what he was doing in that race today over 2 miles and his performance confirmed that. Totally outpaced and he’s a 3 miler in time, wouldn’t surprise me to see him in the Kauto Star/Feltham at Kempton on Boxing Day. Sceau Royal was an impressive winner. Blacklion was impressive and perhaps the extra year will help his stamina and get him home, I thought he was paddling after 2 out in the National last season after flying round the far side of the course and he never really got home. I worry he will end up very high in the weights for the National and that could prove decisive. It’s hard to work out the form of that race today between the top 2. The Last Samurai was giving away 6lbs but loves the heavy going whilst Blacklion probably benefited from having less weight on his back in that bog. Definitly Red was also very good in his race over the Mildmay course but I’d be surprised to see him in the National again this year.

Season really starting to shape up now and I can’t wait for Kempton in a couple of weeks.

Yes. It's difficult to truly assess Fox Norton on today's race and I was giving him the benefit of the doubt especially given your point regarding the Jockey's pretty unorthodox riding of the horse in getting him going. These type races are mostly for getting the horses fit of course and today will have stood him in good stead.

I too am really looking forward to the Boxing Day racing cards, its one of the best days of the year with lots of good meetings on with the King George certain to be a cracking race.

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-12-2017, 07:57 PM
Boxing Day is the best sporting day of the year, love it!

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-12-2017, 06:01 AM
What a performance from Highland Reel (on his final run) and Ryan Moore @ Sha Tin, I love that horse, what a machine.

ekhibee
10-12-2017, 09:01 PM
What a performance from Highland Reel (on his final run) and Ryan Moore @ Sha Tin, I love that horse, what a machine.
A brilliant horse who always gave his all, unfortunately in a lot of the big races it was clearly on ground that was totally unsuitable to him, but fitting that a horse like that wins a major prize in his last race.

HibernianJK
14-12-2017, 05:50 AM
2 big clashes missed out on on Boxing Day with Sizing John not going in the King George and Mullins confirming Faugheen will stay in Ireland as well.

Really really annoys me when trainers opt for the penalty kick of races. Horses legacies are based on who they beat, how many times and how the beat them. Dodging clashes until Cheltenham is very boring. I can imagine Faugheen, Buvear D’air and Sizing John go off easily odds on and leave no market for the punter in these races.

Tornadoes70
16-12-2017, 06:45 PM
Extremely sad today to watch a very good horse Starchitect storm clear of the field in the Cheltenham Caspian Caviar Gold Cup only to then break a hind leg when appearing as if he would run on for certain victory and then be put down out of his pain and misery.

Its always upsetting for racing followers to see horses pass on but it was even more so in this case when the very unfortunate injury occurred when the horse was running on the wet greasy turf after accelerating well clear of the rest with the race at his mercy and then seemed to stumble with his hind legs collapsing awkwardly beneath him which must have caused the break.

Very sad indeed.

Pretty Boy
17-12-2017, 06:27 AM
Extremely sad today to watch a very good horse Starchitect storm clear of the field in the Cheltenham Caspian Caviar Gold Cup only to then break a hind leg when appearing as if he would run on for certain victory and then be put down out of his pain and misery.

Its always upsetting for racing followers to see horses pass on but it was even more so in this case when the very unfortunate injury occurred when the horse was running on the wet greasy turf after accelerating well clear of the rest with the race at his mercy and then seemed to stumble with his hind legs collapsing awkwardly beneath him which must have caused the break.

Very sad indeed.

Wasn't good at all. A freak accident but horrible to see.

I see the once brilliant Sire De Grugy has been retired after he struggled again in another handicap. Good decision given he isn't going to be competitive in grade 1s or 2s anymore but will be saddled with big weights in handicaps for the forseeable. He is to stay with the Moores. My favourite quote about the horse comes from Jamie Moores wife who said 'there's nothing I like more than a trip to Sandown where I can watch the big screen and see my husband enjoying a day out with the love of his life.'

It was also great to see 2 old boys show the youngsters a thing or 2 in the International Hurdle with My Tent or Yours just beating The New One. 7 2nds in the last 4 years, which included nearly 2 years out injured, so he earned that. I love how Nicky Henderson wears his heart on his sleeve and he was in tears again when the horse just got in front.

HibernianJK
20-12-2017, 06:53 AM
Wasn't good at all. A freak accident but horrible to see.

I see the once brilliant Sire De Grugy has been retired after he struggled again in another handicap. Good decision given he isn't going to be competitive in grade 1s or 2s anymore but will be saddled with big weights in handicaps for the forseeable. He is to stay with the Moores. My favourite quote about the horse comes from Jamie Moores wife who said 'there's nothing I like more than a trip to Sandown where I can watch the big screen and see my husband enjoying a day out with the love of his life.'

It was also great to see 2 old boys show the youngsters a thing or 2 in the International Hurdle with My Tent or Yours just beating The New One. 7 2nds in the last 4 years, which included nearly 2 years out injured, so he earned that. I love how Nicky Henderson wears his heart on his sleeve and he was in tears again when the horse just got in front.

I’ve backed MYTOY in almost every race he’s ran since his previous win. Love the horse. Was due to go chasing a couple of years ago but as you say got injured. Shame as would loved to have seen him over fences. Strong traveller and great jumper.

A single on him and a double with Keepers Hill saw me about 400 up.

I see Coney Island is due to run on Saturday as Ascot. Not sure what price it’ll be but a good horse on its day. The Long walk a difficult one to call and could maybe see The Worlds End in with a shot there.

Magnus
20-12-2017, 09:06 AM
Very sad to see Jim Goldie's Jonny Delta suffer a fatal injury at Musselburgh on Monday. A firm favourite of mine on the flat and over hurdles, whenever I went to Musselburgh he always seemed to be running. 38 of 77 starts at Muss with 5 wins, the last being in October over 1m6f at sp of 20/1. Conditions didnt matter either, winning on ground ranging from heavy to good to firm. Very tough for Jim and all his staff especially after losing Jack Dexter in the summer.

Pretty Boy
20-12-2017, 10:01 AM
Very sad to see Jim Goldie's Jonny Delta suffer a fatal injury at Musselburgh on Monday. A firm favourite of mine on the flat and over hurdles, whenever I went to Musselburgh he always seemed to be running. 38 of 77 starts at Muss with 5 wins, the last being in October over 1m6f at sp of 20/1. Conditions didnt matter either, winning on ground ranging from heavy to good to firm. Very tough for Jim and all his staff especially after losing Jack Dexter in the summer.

Came down at the 3rd last which is a very difficult obstacle at Musselburgh. It comes not far after the tight top bend and if a horse is on an inside line and picking up speed for a finish they can sometimes not see it until very late. I had a decent wedge on Project Bluebrook last season when he came down there when he looked all over the leader, thankfully he got up ok.

Feel sorry for Jim Goldie and the horse. I believe they planned to retire him at the end of this season and there were tentative plans to send him to work with the Greatwood Charity. JG is well known for sorting his horses out with decent retirements and it's sad to see Jonny Delta denied that after all he has given.

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-12-2017, 05:36 PM
Came down at the 3rd last which is a very difficult obstacle at Musselburgh. It comes not far after the tight top bend and if a horse is on an inside line and picking up speed for a finish they can sometimes not see it until very late. I had a decent wedge on Project Bluebrook last season when he came down there when he looked all over the leader, thankfully he got up ok.

Feel sorry for Jim Goldie and the horse. I believe they planned to retire him at the end of this season and there were tentative plans to send him to work with the Greatwood Charity. JG is well known for sorting his horses out with decent retirements and it's sad to see Jonny Delta denied that after all he has given.

A horse at Mussy (Stone Quercus) did something very similar to me just under a year ago (didnae hit the deck though), might've been a hurdle later but, it felt like somebody going into my pocket and removing about 160 quid, sair yin! :-(

Tornadoes70
22-12-2017, 03:11 PM
2 big clashes missed out on on Boxing Day with Sizing John not going in the King George and Mullins confirming Faugheen will stay in Ireland as well.

Really really annoys me when trainers opt for the penalty kick of races. Horses legacies are based on who they beat, how many times and how the beat them. Dodging clashes until Cheltenham is very boring. I can imagine Faugheen, Buvear D’air and Sizing John go off easily odds on and leave no market for the punter in these races.

Sizing John being pulled out is a disappointment for the big race next Tuesday. However I'm still undecided as to who to back after seeing a few of them run recently. My head is telling me to back Bristol De Mai who ran brilliantly but I also liked the look of Fox Norton and possibly Whisper. Thistecrack was the least convincing however he could still run a big race. I've not seen Mightbite in action but as he's around even money he must be a very good horse. Its still going to be a Boxing Day cracker even without Sizing John.

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-12-2017, 03:21 PM
Sizing John being pulled out is a disappointment for the big race next Tuesday. However I'm still undecided as to who to back after seeing a few of them run recently. My head is telling me to back Bristol De Mai who ran brilliantly but I also liked the look of Fox Norton and possibly Whisper. Thistecrack was the least convincing however he could still run a big race. I've not seen Mightbite in action but as he's around even money he must be a very good horse. Its still going to be a Boxing Day cracker even without Sizing John.

I'm loathe to back against Bristol de Mai after its last run but, I keep being drawn back to Might Bite too. I'll be a bit hacked off if 'harry wins tomorrow but, cannae have him at 7/4 after his previous outing.

Tornadoes70
22-12-2017, 03:34 PM
I'm loathe to back against Bristol de Mai after its last run but, I keep being drawn back to Might Bite too. I'll be a bit hacked off if 'harry wins tomorrow but, cannae have him at 7/4 after his previous outing.

Maybe drift out a little bit before the off tomorrow to around 9/4, he's 15/8 just now with Ladbrokes. I'm tempted to back against him on Lil Rockerfella at around 5's but Unowhatimeanharry will be hard to beat if running true to form.

I'll probably put my bet on the King George when I'm in the bookies tomorrow and make a judgement call on who to back then. Its certainly a tough one.

Tornadoes70
22-12-2017, 06:56 PM
I'm going to be betting on Singlefarmpayment tomorrow in the Lavazza Silver Cup at Ascot. He was closing in with a late strong run before overreaching at the third last and falling in the Ladbrokes trophy just under three weeks ago. The trips a bit shorter this time around and at around 4/1 its a decent price. I'm not tipping the horse out of being in the know just a personal fancy for a horse that should give a decent showing. That and Lil Rockerfella are my two mug punter bets tomorrow.

Tornadoes70
23-12-2017, 05:37 PM
Two poor showings by both Lil Rockerfella and Singlefarmpayment. That's racing for you though. Hopefully better luck in the King George on Tuesday.

Sam Spinner ran a sterling race to beat L'mai Serge and Unknowhatimeanharry with Lil Rockerfella a distance back in the Long Walk Hurdle. Present Gold stayed on well very well to win the Lazzara Silver Cup with Singlefarmpayment struggling to stay the pace from some way out.

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-12-2017, 07:09 PM
Backed L'ami serge ew nae harm done, my old man backed gold present, should get a decent present on Monday.

Pretty Boy
23-12-2017, 07:24 PM
This years King George is a bit of puzzler.

Is Thistlecrck back to his best? Can Bristol De Mai go on the better ground? Is Might Bite going to have another of his moments? How much has Whisper improved? Will Fox Norton get 3 miles? The only 2 horses I would feel confident striking a line through are Traffic Fluide and Double Shuffle. I’m leaning towards Bristol De Mai but will wait until the day to place a bet, if the forecast rain comes he will shorten though.

I really fancy Black Corton in the Kauto Star/Feltham. Bryony Frost is a really good, young jockey. Bit of a pity she can’t use her claim in a Grade 1 though. The only downside if he does win is that insufferable prick Jeremy Kyle owns a share in the horse.

Tornadoes70
23-12-2017, 07:43 PM
This years King George is a bit of puzzler.

Is Thistlecrck back to his best? Can Bristol De Mai go on the better ground? Is Might Bite going to have another of his moments? How much has Whisper improved? Will Fox Norton get 3 miles? The only 2 horses I would feel confident striking a line through are Traffic Fluide and Double Shuffle. I’m leaning towards Bristol De Mai but will wait until the day to place a bet, if the forecast rain comes he will shorten though.

I really fancy Black Corton in the Kauto Star/Feltham. Bryony Frost is a really good, young jockey. Bit of a pity she can’t use her claim in a Grade 1 though. The only downside if he does win is that insufferable prick Jeremy Kyle owns a share in the horse.

Despite everything I lumped onto Thistlecrack today. Can only choose one really and for some reason I decided to go with him in spite of his build up to the race. Going to enjoy watching this one regardless even if Thistlecrack doesn't win as its an intriguing race and its certain to be one to remember.

Tornadoes70
23-12-2017, 09:36 PM
Backed L'ami serge ew nae harm done, my old man backed gold present, should get a decent present 2morro.

L'ami serge looked the likely winner the last few furlongs out but Sam Spinner stayed on resolutely to win having led throughout. It was a good race to watch. Gold Present had decent form going into this one and if I wasn't a follower of Singlefarmpayment I would have been on Gold Present, hey ho such is racing. Good to hear you got something back and your Dad picked a nice 17/2 winner. Nice one.

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-12-2017, 12:34 PM
I only heard the commentary of L'ami Serge's race on the phone as I was in the boozer, must admit the commentator had me counting my dough, oh well! :-)

Pretty Boy
24-12-2017, 04:17 PM
I only heard the commentary of L'ami Serge's race on the phone as I was in the boozer, must admit the commentator had me counting my dough, oh well! :-)

He looked all over the winner between the 2nd last and the last, Sam Spinner took the last better and then L'Ami Serge just seemed to flatten out. It was another race where you just wonder if the jockey had got to work a bit quicker it might have been a different race. Colliver was stoking SS up from about 3 or 4 furlongs out whilst Jacob just sat there until just before the last, looks good when it works but when the horse doesn't respond there's not a lot you can do that late.

Tornadoes70
25-12-2017, 10:13 PM

This one could go to any of the first five in the betting really. Black Corton appears to have as good a chance as any of the other four to be the winner no doubt about that. Ballyoptic just shades it for me though not by very much but certainly in with a decent shout too.

Thistlecrack and Ballyoptic my two main bets for tomorrow.

Good luck to all having a wager on Boxing Day.

Magnus
26-12-2017, 09:04 AM
I still have reservations about Thistlecrack being the same horse after the Cotswold Chase but if he does still have the constitution he should be close in this. Good luck to All today

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171226/b09019a481f0a135429aea75203f8108.jpg

Pretty Boy
26-12-2017, 09:57 AM
I still have reservations about Thistlecrack being the same horse after the Cotswold Chase but if he does still have the constitution he should be close in this. Good luck to All today

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171226/b09019a481f0a135429aea75203f8108.jpg

I’ve changed my mind and gone for Thistlecrack as well. Last time out he ran very well until he understandably tired in the latter stages. I think Tom Scudamore just looked after him after that and never really rode him out properly. I think The King George Might always be his cup final as I’m not convinced he gets the Gold Cup trip over fences. Much as I loved Many Clouds he never really threatened to win a Grade 1 and he outstayed and outfought Thistlecrack in the Cotswold. Admittedly it’s hard to know how much better Many Clouds was after his wind operation and he certainly looked an even better horse last season before his unfortunate end.

There’s just too many question marks over Might Bite to take him at the price imo and I still need to be convinced BDM will run as well on the better ground today. For me the value bet could be Tea For Two each way. With no Coneygree I can see Daryl Jacob try to take up the running on BDM and if it turns into a bit of a fight for the lead it wouldn’t shock me to see a few fall away late on and Tea For Two grab a place.

trev the hat
26-12-2017, 10:37 AM
Bristol de Mai for me at 7/2

Pretty Boy
26-12-2017, 01:16 PM
Black Corton wins well. Lovely start to my betting day at 4/1.

Magnus
26-12-2017, 01:24 PM

Good call

jonty
26-12-2017, 02:28 PM
doesyourdogbite, 3:40@kempton

Absolutely zero knowledge of anything remotely horsey.

jonty
26-12-2017, 02:59 PM
doesyourdogbite, 3:40@kempton

Absolutely zero knowledge of anything remotely horsey.
:greengrin

ekhibee
26-12-2017, 03:22 PM
I backed Thistlecrack, but I have to say I was really impressed with Might Bite, winning the King George first time out. Before the race there were a lot of ifs and buts about the contenders- Might Bite first time out, was Thistlecrack back to his best, did Fox Norton need the extra distance, would Bristol De Mai like the ground, and so on. I thought most of those questions were answered, although Whisper was very disappointing. Good race won by a very good horse.

Magnus
26-12-2017, 03:24 PM
For me the value bet could be Tea For Two each way.
Good stuff. Early pace did find a few of them out

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-12-2017, 05:29 PM
4 horsey bets

20 Mia's Storm Fell
20 Bredon Hill Lad 7/2 win
10ew on whatever it was called Koeman 3rd @ Leop
£ 4 treble from sat, spurs ht-ft, Juve ht-ft and Might Bite.

footy did well too, if Derby had won i'd be a bit excited.

Tornadoes70
26-12-2017, 08:05 PM

Good shout mate. Stayed on stoutly, a deserved winner.

Thislecrack ran well considering. If he'd had one more warm up before this it could have made the difference but in saying that Mightbite was a worthy winner who won with a bit in hand and justified the short ante price.

Roll on Cheltenham.

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-12-2017, 10:01 PM
Cannae see Might Bite winning the GC, if Sizing John wins over the holiday season its game over.

HibernianJK
27-12-2017, 05:45 AM
Had one bet and it was a chunky single on Might Bite. Didn’t see the race due to the time difference in Oz but seemed gritty if not spectacular?

Hope Thistlecrack can come back to his best but the GC shaping up to be a cracker. Might Bite and Sizing John the big 2 with Native River, Yorkill and Thistlecrack a decent supporting cast.

Pretty Boy
27-12-2017, 06:55 AM
Decent enough day yesterday for me. Had 3 bets; Black Corton to win, Thistlecrack to win and Tea For Two each way so a healthy enough profit.

The King George played out much as I expected. BDM trying to turn it into a real stamina test and a couple of the other big names trying to go with him after about a circuit. Yet again I thought Thistlecrack ran well enough for a long spell but whether he is the same horse is now seriously up for debate. As the big guns fell away I was pretty confident I was getting a return from Tea For Two and so it proved. I was impressed enough with Might Bite, he had a lot of good horses quite a way behind him and still seemed to have plenty in the tank, he did slow up after the last but I think he was just lonely and idling more than anything.

I’m not sure the the Gold Cup picture is any clearer after it but I’m not sure this King George was ever going to be a great pointer. A few of the big players missing, going the opposite way on a flat track on soft winter ground couldn’t really be more different from Cheltenham. If I was in a position where I had to place a bett now I’d probably stick with Sizing John. Depending how things pan out I’d fancy Might Bite more for 2019.

Tornadoes70
27-12-2017, 10:15 AM
Was looking forward to the Welsh Grand National today and would have had a speculative bet on Vicente however its been called off due to the weather and rescheduled for a week on Saturday 6th January.

Pretty Boy
27-12-2017, 10:18 AM
Black Corton back in his stable this morning with a well done card to greet him. Pretty big shoes to fill in that particular box on Nicholls 'Millionaires Row'. Denman is enjoying his retirement two along, Kauto Star had the box one along and the other side had Neptune Collonges and Big Buck's at one time.19948

Pretty Boy
28-12-2017, 12:25 PM
Sizing John v Yorkhill at Leapordstown at 3 today. Be interesting to see how that pans out or whether Djakadam or any of the Gigginstown contingent can land a blow.

Pretty Boy
28-12-2017, 01:43 PM
Horrible fall for Nicholls Canyon in the Christmas Hurdle that is being reported as having been fatal. Stayers Hurdle winner in March. Tough sport at times.

Pretty Boy
28-12-2017, 02:08 PM
Road to Repsect wins the Lexus. Sizing John well beaten and never really got going, Yorkhills effort wasn't great either. 123 for Gigginstown and they had 5 of the 1st 6 all told.

Gold Cup looks wide open.

Pretty Boy
28-12-2017, 03:06 PM
Day goes from bad to worse. Zabana also fatally injured in the 3.00 and Sizing John had the vet called and was found to be 'clinically abnormal'. Nothing official yet but the social media specualtion is not positive.

HibernianJK
29-12-2017, 11:18 AM
Day goes from bad to worse. Zabana also fatally injured in the 3.00 and Sizing John had the vet called and was found to be 'clinically abnormal'. Nothing official yet but the social media specualtion is not positive.

Robbie Power reported saying he should be fine for Cheltenham. Would be interesting to hear what clinically abnormal actually meant.

Pretty Boy
29-12-2017, 12:12 PM
Robbie Power reported saying he should be fine for Cheltenham. Would be interesting to hear what clinically abnormal actually meant.

Jessica Harrington said he had hyperthermia and was fine once he was cooled down. Yards strike rate is 0-27 in the last 2 weeks so wouldn't surprise me if there's a virus in the yard that he had picked up. Don't really understand why he wasn't pulled up if the jockey immediately reported he had never been travelling and wasn't right.

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-12-2017, 01:39 PM
The Gold Cup picture doesnae get any clearer, watched the KG again this morning and still cannae decide if Might Bite was idling in front after the last or not. The proximity of the 2nd/3rd horses is cause for concern as is Sizing Johns run.

Pretty Boy
29-12-2017, 01:49 PM
Faugheen pulled up, was never going.

Think he's finished now.

Magnus
29-12-2017, 01:54 PM
Faugheen pulled up, was never going.

Think he's finished now.
Its been a terrible couple of days over at Leopardstown.
Hope he does make it back. Will be a pretty poor CH without him.

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-12-2017, 02:02 PM
Will be a pretty poor CH without him.

Whilst its a shame, i'm pretty sure that won't be true.

ekhibee
29-12-2017, 04:37 PM
At the end of the day Might Bite did what was expected of him, Sizing John, for whatever reason, didn't. I reckon Thistlecrack still has plenty of improvement in him and will definitely be a strong contender for the Gold Cup, but people should also remember that was Might Bite's first run this season, he will get stronger and fitter. I suppose some will quite rightly point out the jumping error he made last season, but as it stands at the moment I don't think any other horse has shown comparable form so far. Just my opinion though, and a lot could change between now and March.

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-12-2017, 06:05 PM
Apart from the Sandown race in Nov?

Tornadoes70
29-12-2017, 06:55 PM
At the end of the day Might Bite did what was expected of him, Sizing John, for whatever reason, didn't. I reckon Thistlecrack still has plenty of improvement in him and will definitely be a strong contender for the Gold Cup, but people should also remember that was Might Bite's first run this season, he will get stronger and fitter. I suppose some will quite rightly point out the jumping error he made last season, but as it stands at the moment I don't think any other horse has shown comparable form so far. Just my opinion though, and a lot could change between now and March.

Pretty much my thoughts regarding Might Bite and Thistlecrack. I thought Thistlecrack ran a decent race considering the long lay off since injury and the poor run on his comeback. Might Bite did win a shade cosily though and is definitely the one to beat however we all know anything can happen in horse-racing on the day. Just have to look at Bristol de mai who I doubt anyone thought would have been beaten off quite so quickly.

ekhibee
29-12-2017, 08:44 PM
Pretty much my thoughts regarding Might Bite and Thistlecrack. I thought Thistlecrack ran a decent race considering the long lay off since injury and the poor run on his comeback. Might Bite did win a shade cosily though and is definitely the one to beat however we all know anything can happen in horse-racing on the day. Just have to look at Bristol de mai who I doubt anyone thought would have been beaten off quite so quickly.
Good points there. I think we could safely write off that run by Bristol De Mai, he really does seem to need heavier ground than that, to produce his best form anyway. Not sure about the Irish form either, the Gigginstown horses all seem to take turns beating each other and I don't fancy any of them to win the Gold Cup but I could easily be wrong. Interesting that it would also appear Henderson doesn't seem to think Altior will stay 3 miles, at this stage anyway, so he's keeping him for the Champion Chase which, if he's fit, he'll win in a canter.

Tornadoes70
29-12-2017, 10:46 PM
Good points there. I think we could safely write off that run by Bristol De Mai, he really does seem to need heavier ground than that, to produce his best form anyway. Not sure about the Irish form either, the Gigginstown horses all seem to take turns beating each other and I don't fancy any of them to win the Gold Cup but I could easily be wrong. Interesting that it would also appear Henderson doesn't seem to think Altior will stay 3 miles, at this stage anyway, so he's keeping him for the Champion Chase which, if he's fit, he'll win in a canter.

Agree with writing off the distinctly below par run by Bristol De Mai. Could have just been one of these days or the ground was just a bit too firm for him.

Colin Tizzard had reported Thistlecrack had shown much fitter and keener after the poor comeback run and while he didn't really challenge Might Bite he certainly ran much better. It could be it was another step back to his best and if so should give Might Bite and the others a much sterner challenge next time around. I'm tempted to lump on when confirmed for the GC at a decent price.

Tornadoes70
31-12-2017, 01:41 AM
Had a bit of luck yesterday on Brave Eagle who looked well beaten from a long way out however seemed to find a new pair of legs and came from way back to win at a taken price of 3/1.

New years day Musselburgh meeting looks a good one and I fancy Silver Concorde in the Hogmaneigh Hurdle. However as we all know it can be a bit of a lottery.

Pretty Boy
31-12-2017, 11:35 AM
Had a bit of luck yesterday on Brave Eagle who looked well beaten from a long way out however seemed to find a new pair of legs and came from way back to win at a taken price of 3/1.

New years day Musselburgh meeting looks a good one and I fancy Silver Concorde in the Hogmaneigh Hurdle. However as we all know it can be a bit of a lottery.

2nd race on the card looks a good one. Fly Vinnie is a specialist round Musselburgh and has won me a few quid over the last couple of years, Cresswell Legend is on a hat trick and has won 3 from 5 since moving from PTPs and both he and Stamp Your Feet are travelling from Gloucestershire so Idoubt they are just coming for a run out, £12000 is a prize not to be sniffed at.

Silver Concorde looks a decent bet but that’s a hot race despite the small field. Won his last 2 at Musselburgh, both when long odds on, and he threatened to be top class when he won the Champion Bumper at Cheltenham and was a close 2nd in the Punchestown equivalent. Should be a good race.

Tornadoes70
01-01-2018, 12:09 AM
2nd race on the card looks a good one.ti Fly Vinnie is a specialist round Musselburgh and has won me a few quid over the last couple of years, Cresswell Legend is on a hat trick and has won 3 from 5 since moving from PTPs and both he and Stamp Your Feet are travelling from Gloucestershire so Idoubt they are just coming for a run out, £12000 is a prize not to be sniffed at.

Silver Concorde looks a decent bet but that’s a hot race despite the small field. Won his last 2 at Musselburgh, both when long odds on, and he threatened to be top class when he won the Champion Bumper at Cheltenham and was a close 2nd in the Punchestown equivalent. Should be a good race.

Silver Concorde was 3/1 yesterday (new years eve) but thought I'd wait until tomorrow to go in and put a wee wager on. Oddscheckers now showing its been backed into 9/4. Looks as if I've missed the boat on any value to be had. Hey ho. Might back against it now.

Fly Vinnie's a generous 10/1 with Ladbrokes maybe shorter before the off of course but must be worth a few quid at these prices.

Musselburgh's always a good meeting and generally good racing to be had.

ekhibee
01-01-2018, 04:17 PM
Silver Concorde was 3/1 yesterday (new years eve) but thought I'd wait until tomorrow to go in and put a wee wager on. Oddscheckers now showing its been backed into 9/4. Looks as if I've missed the boat on any value to be had. Hey ho. Might back against it now.

Fly Vinnie's a generous 10/1 with Ladbrokes maybe shorter before the off of course but must be worth a few quid at these prices.

Musselburgh's always a good meeting and generally good racing to be had.
I had Silver Concorde who was 2nd, some clown had scored the winner off as a non-runner in the local Betfred. Ballyhill (9/1) and Western Climate (6/1) meant that it wasn't such a bad day after all though.

Tornadoes70
01-01-2018, 04:36 PM
I had Silver Concorde who was 2nd, some clown had scored the winner off as a non-runner in the local Betfred. Ballyhill (9/1) and Western Climate (6/1) meant that it wasn't such a bad day after all though.

Good to hear you had a couple of very nice priced winners to compensate. I left Silver Concorde alone after seeing it had been backed into 7/4 albeit finished 2/1 as I thought the value price of 3/1 was near enough the correct one. Mind you it looked as if it could win until Sir Chavaulin showed a lovely turn of foot and accelerated clear in the last part of the race.

I had a nice winner yesterday on Met By Moonlight at 6/1 which was coincidentally Steve Drowne's final race before retirement. He came from off the pace to win quite cosily by a few lengths in the end-up.

Pretty Boy
01-01-2018, 05:49 PM
Agree with writing off the distinctly below par run by Bristol De Mai. Could have just been one of these days or the ground was just a bit too firm for him.

Colin Tizzard had reported Thistlecrack had shown much fitter and keener after the poor comeback run and while he didn't really challenge Might Bite he certainly ran much better. It could be it was another step back to his best and if so should give Might Bite and the others a much sterner challenge next time around. I'm tempted to lump on when confirmed for the GC at a decent price.

Bristol De Mai was checked over post race and found to have stomach ulcers. Probably explains his performance and is one to score a line through.

Tornadoes70
01-01-2018, 06:44 PM
Bristol De Mai was checked over post race and found to have stomach ulcers. Probably explains his performance and is one to score a line through.

He ran so poorly compared against the previous run that you felt something must have been a bit off with him. Hopefully see the real Bristol De Mai in subsequent races.

ekhibee
01-01-2018, 08:36 PM
Good to hear you had a couple of very nice priced winners to compensate. I left Silver Concorde alone after seeing it had been backed into 7/4 albeit finished 2/1 as I thought the value price of 3/1 was near enough the correct one. Mind you it looked as if it could win until Sir Chavaulin showed a lovely turn of foot and accelerated clear in the last part of the race.

I had a nice winner yesterday on Met By Moonlight at 6/1 which was coincidentally Steve Drowne's final race before retirement. He came from off the pace to win quite cosily by a few lengths in the end-up.
I saw that race, Met By Moonlight won well, coming on the outside and going away at the end from the fav. Good way for Drowne to finish, he was always a good jockey.

Tornadoes70
01-01-2018, 11:04 PM
I saw that race, Met By Moonlight won well, coming on the outside and going away at the end from the fav. Good way for Drowne to finish, he was always a good jockey.

He was an honest professional and it was great to see him finish on a high.

ekhibee
02-01-2018, 05:39 PM
Backed another game wee horse, Caspian Prince (12/1) at Newcastle.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-01-2018, 05:29 PM
Had quite a large bet on Mixlad in the 1500 @ Mussy this morning, from my perch in the boozer in Carlisle, still not sure how I got paid out! Other two bets were Indian Spark and K Kirkup so cannae complain too much!

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-01-2018, 07:59 PM
I've got a horrendous record backing horses in The Welsh National but, I've backed Chase the Spud ew @ 10s.

Pretty Boy
05-01-2018, 08:13 PM
I've got a horrendous record backing horses in The Welsh National but, I've backed Chase the Spud ew @ 10s.

Think I've picked 3 winners in about 15 years of betting. Silver Birch, Synchronised and last year with Native River.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-01-2018, 09:19 PM
Think I've picked 3 winners in about 15 years of betting. Silver Birch, Synchronised and last year with Native River.

I doubt I can match that! :-)

Tornadoes70
05-01-2018, 09:44 PM

As good a chance as anyone else on the one you've picked bud. I'm just having a relatively small speculative bet on the well known by now Vicente.

Good luck mate.

Pretty Boy
05-01-2018, 10:01 PM
As good a chance as anyone else on the one you've picked bud. I'm just having a relatively small speculative bet on the well known by now Vicente.

Good luck mate.

Final Nudge for me tomorrow. 4 wins on heavy is pretty much the sole solid reason for the choice. Looked competitive over the longer Midlands National before taking a fall so could suggest potential as a marathon stayer and has run solidly over about 3 miles before are the more speculative reasons.

It could turn into a total slog and I can see a lot of horses pulled up or walking across the line.

pontius pilate
05-01-2018, 10:07 PM
I’ve got emperors choice and Wild West wind tomorrow one on a treble and the other on a Yankee fingers crossed

Tornadoes70
05-01-2018, 10:07 PM
Final Nudge for me tomorrow. 4 wins on heavy is pretty much the sole solid reason for the choice. Looked competitive over the longer Midlands National before taking a fall so could suggest potential as a marathon stayer and has run solidly over about 3 miles before are the more speculative reasons.

It could turn into a total slog and I can see a lot of horses pulled up or walking across the line.

As good a reason as any to choose a potential winning National horse. Its bound to be one for stout of lungs thats for certain.

It'd be nice if one of us had a win. Sometimes I'm just grateful for my pick to put up a decent account of themselves.

Good luck too mate.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-01-2018, 10:38 PM

Good luck mate.

Cheers, I just had quick look through the trends for the race and that one seemed to tick the most boxes. I was reading in the paper about one of the runners that has won first time out for the last 3 seasons IIRC, cannae remember the name but, I'll have another look in the morning to make sure I wasnae imagining things and might back that as well.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-01-2018, 10:43 PM
Cheers, I just had quick look through the trends for the race and that one seemed to tick the most boxes. I was reading in the paper about one of the runners that has won first time out for the last 3 seasons IIRC, cannae remember the name but, I'll have another look in the morning to make sure I wasnae imagining things and might back that as well.

Not first time out but 3 wins from 3 after long absences for Mysteree.

Tornadoes70
05-01-2018, 11:02 PM
Not first time out but 3 wins from 3 after long absences for Mysteree.

8/1 favorite. Would normally be an absolutely brilliant price for a winning favorite if on of course. Has as good a chance as any in the race for certain. Normally I'd back 2 or three in a National but I'm sticking with one bet for this one. I'm going to ask my better half in the morning which one she wants to back but as she normally backs the green white and gold colours I'm certain she'll opt for my pick Vicente as well :greengrin.

Good luck mate, I'm hoping one of us Hi bees can pick the winner!

:flag:

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-01-2018, 11:21 PM
Lets hope so!

Magnus
06-01-2018, 12:37 PM
Mysteree for me as well for the Welsh National currently available at 9's if you're happy to take 4 places e/w.
Ground today may not be as deep as expected, but he won the 4m Eider on soft, even though he was taken out of the pre Christmas prep race at Cheltenham due to unsuitable ground (soft). Less than 11st also a major positive.
6 places available with Sky Bet albeit with the predictable skinnier odds.
Good luck all :wink:

Pretty Boy
06-01-2018, 01:17 PM
Think I nicked 3rd there with Final Nudge so will get place money. Some performance by the 2 old lads showing the youngsters how it's done in the mud.

Magnus
06-01-2018, 03:34 PM
Mysteree for me as well for the Welsh National currently available at 9's if you're happy to take 4 places e/w.
Ground today may not be as deep as expected, but he won the 4m Eider on soft, even though he was taken out of the pre Christmas prep race at Cheltenham due to unsuitable ground (soft). Less than 11st also a major positive.
6 places available with Sky Bet albeit with the predictable skinnier odds.
Good luck all :wink:
Shocking run. Couple that with the pre race drift and it is surprising that there was no interest from the stewards.

ekhibee
06-01-2018, 08:51 PM
Donkey's years ago in the mid to late nineties I'm sure I had Earth Summit in the Welsh National, still the only horse to win the Scottish/Welsh/English Grand Nationals. He was a great price too. But I've hardly touched the race since. Don't really care much for Chepstow, it's never been a lucky course for me and there's very often results that you just can't explain at all, loads of horses with no form on the ground who win going away, Two milers winning staying races on heavy ground and so on, it seems to happen more frequently there than a lot of other courses. That's just my opinion though, good luck and well done to others who have had success there.

Tornadoes70
06-01-2018, 11:35 PM
Donkey's years ago in the mid to late nineties I'm sure I had Earth Summit in the Welsh National, still the only horse to win the Scottish/Welsh/English Grand Nationals. He was a great price too. But I've hardly touched the race since. Don't really care much for Chepstow, it's never been a lucky course for me and there's very often results that you just can't explain at all, loads of horses with no form on the ground who win going away, Two milers winning staying races on heavy ground and so on, it seems to happen more frequently there than a lot of other courses. That's just my opinion though, good luck and well done to others who have had success there.

Good post.

Tbf most Nationals are a lottery with a big slice of luck required for picking the winner however as you say there seems to be a pattern of additional extra luck required for picking the winner at Chepstow.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-01-2018, 11:29 AM

Couldnae agree more re Chepstow, never had much joy there.

Pretty Boy
07-01-2018, 09:36 PM
Hearing Limini is out for the NH season and is likely to either run on the flat in the summer (Ebor is an option) or be retired to the breeding sheds. Been a tough couple of years for Rich Ricci with the death of Vatour, Annie Power retiring, Douvan out for an extended period and Faugheens problems as well as losing a 6 figure purchase in an acciddnt on the gallops.

Arctic Fire has also been retired.

Pretty Boy
08-01-2018, 01:41 PM
Thistlecrack out for the season. Stress fracture.

Yet again proving how hard it is to produce consistently great champions in NH racing.

Tornadoes70
08-01-2018, 01:46 PM
Thistlecrack out for the season. Stress fracture.

Yet again proving how hard it is to produce consistently great champions in NH racing.

Very disappointing news, just when he was beginning to recover some form on his recent comeback trail too.

Pretty Boy
08-01-2018, 02:14 PM
Death Duty also just confirmed as being out for the rest of the season.

Pretty Boy
16-01-2018, 03:01 PM

After another disappointing run last time out a few of the club headed to Hereford today to watch Ring go to post at 66/1 with the expectation he would run accordingly. As it turned out he didn't know he was 66s and ran a very decent race to finish 3rd and net a few of us some decent each way money. He's still a baby in his development but upped to 2m5f and with a bit experience he finally seems to be getting the hang of things, Tom O'Brien had to earn his riding fee but he kept on well to grab the place . By all accounts he got a better welcome back in than the winner of the race.

ekhibee
16-01-2018, 07:29 PM
After another disappointing run last time out a few of the club headed to Hereford today to watch Ring go to post at 66/1 with the expectation he would run accordingly. As it turned out he didn't know he was 66s and ran a very decent race to finish 3rd and net a few of us some decent each way money. He's still a baby in his development but upped to 2m5f and with a bit experience he finally seems to be getting the hang of things, Tom O'Brien had to earn his riding fee but he kept on well to grab the place . By all accounts he got a better welcome back in than the winner of the race.
I see the race was over 2 miles 5 PB, is that the kind of distance he'll be staying at? Looks like a stayer and might want a bit longer in time. A step in the right direction though, well done.

Pretty Boy
16-01-2018, 07:31 PM
I see the race was over 2 miles 5 PB, is that the kind of distance he'll be staying at? Looks like a stayer and might want a bit longer in time. A step in the right direction though, well done.

Around about 3 miles is probably the right distance and where he is headed. He's also schooled over fences and looked good so that's an option as well.

ekhibee
27-01-2018, 12:54 AM
Just a wee mention for the very sad news that another favourite of mine, Taquin Du Seuill, suffered a fatal fall at Huntingdon. A really good horse on his day and a Cheltenham winner, it's just another sad reminder of how cruel racing can be.

Pretty Boy
10-02-2018, 10:56 AM
Ring is out again today, 1.20 at Uttoxeter. 7s from 11s over night, might have enough to run into a place.

ekhibee
11-02-2018, 01:47 AM
Ring is out again today, 1.20 at Uttoxeter. 7s from 11s over night, might have enough to run into a place.
Ground was heavy at Uttoxeter which can be a really tricky and demanding course, maybe a wee bit early for your horse to take that on, onwards and upwards, he'll get his chance in better conditions and possibly a longer distance too.

Pretty Boy
11-02-2018, 01:26 PM
Ground was heavy at Uttoxeter which can be a really tricky and demanding course, maybe a wee bit early for your horse to take that on, onwards and upwards, he'll get his chance in better conditions and possibly a longer distance too.

Scoped dirty post race, there was a virus in the yard a couple of weeks ago so possibly played a part. As you say though horrible ground and too sharp a distance are the main factors.

Pretty Boy
15-02-2018, 07:04 PM
I see Liam Treadwell has retired due in part to ongoing mental and physical issues after a fall a couple of years ago.

In the list of toughest sportsmen national hunt jockeys must be pretty close to the top and injuries like Treadwell are a reminder of how dangerous a sport it can be.

ekhibee
10-03-2018, 01:47 PM
Woop woop! Mr Antolini in the Imperial Cup (20/1) £5 e/w! In fairness, I thought he was quite lucky to keep it, he clearly bumped the 2nd just before the line but I'll take it.

HibernianJK
10-03-2018, 09:18 PM
I took what’swrongwithyou in the imperial cup travelled lovely through the race just couldn’t make up the distance on the heavy ground one for the notebook though

ekhibee
11-03-2018, 01:34 AM
I took what’swrongwithyou in the imperial cup travelled lovely through the race just couldn’t make up the distance on the heavy ground one for the notebook though
Yep, I certainly wouldn't give up on him, the distance might have been to short for him and the ground was also a bit heavy for him too. He was staying on through beaten horses, but he's got a bright future IMO.

ekhibee
31-03-2018, 08:38 PM
Thunder Snow wins the Dubai World Cup comfortably. Top race in terms of prize money, but doesn't have anything like the prestige as the top races in Europe or the US. Funny, I remember Thunder Snow when he was racing over here. He was beaten out of sight by Carravagio as a two year old at Royal Ascot, and I thought O'Brien would train Carravagio for mile/mile and a quarter races after that performance, where he was clearly staying on at the end, instead of which he trained him as a sprinter and the season finished as a damp squib and he was retired to stud.

HibernianJK
02-04-2018, 09:28 AM
Irish National today and Mongbeg Notorious carries my money. Grade 2 winning novice with a nice weight.

ekhibee
02-04-2018, 02:26 PM
Irish National today and Mongbeg Notorious carries my money. Grade 2 winning novice with a nice weight.
I've backed him e/w, here's hoping!

ekhibee
02-04-2018, 04:21 PM
An Elliott winner of the Irish Grand National, not that surprising really when you consider he had 13 of the runners in the race. It's getting like all those Sheikh Mohammed races at the likes of Newmarket in the 90's and early 2000's where every horse was owned either by him or a member of his family.

WestStandWillie
05-04-2018, 11:02 AM
BHA not renewing Musselburgh's license until dispute is sorted out and reassurances in place.

Pretty Boy
05-04-2018, 12:24 PM
Just bought tickets for Champions Day at Ascot. £45 for the Winning Post Enclosure which seems reasonable for the quality of racing.

Pretty Boy
09-04-2018, 07:10 PM
Sad news from Paul Nicholls tonight.

Silviniaco Conti has died after an accident whilst team chasing at the weekend. Vets thought he would be fine but he took a bad turn today and had to be PTS.

ekhibee
09-04-2018, 07:36 PM

Silviniaco Conti has died after an accident whilst team chasing at the weekend. Vets thought he would be fine but he took a bad turn today and had to be PTS.
That's really awful news, Silvianaco Conti was a really good horse who always gave his all and will be remembered by many, RIP.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-04-2018, 07:43 AM

Thats sad to hear, he looked after me well over the years.

heretoday
10-04-2018, 02:44 PM
Just bought tickets for Champions Day at Ascot. £45 for the Winning Post Enclosure which seems reasonable for the quality of racing.

Wow fantastic. Just being close to those amazing thoroughbreds is worth it.
And the fillies!

Pretty Boy
17-04-2018, 05:56 PM
I was reading The Giants Causeway has died in Kentucky aged 21.

I'm not a huge fan of the flat but he was a monster of a horse, never knew when he was beat and never finished outside the top 2.

ekhibee
17-04-2018, 07:25 PM
I was reading The Giants Causeway has died in Kentucky aged 21.

I'm not a huge fan of the flat but he was a monster of a horse, never knew when he was beat and never finished outside the top 2.
One of my favourite horses of all time, sad news indeed. Heart of a lion, always fought to the line, RIP GC.

lord bunberry
18-04-2018, 02:20 PM
Giants Causeway was one of my all time favourite horses, probably the toughest I’ve ever seen. A sad loss.

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-04-2018, 03:08 PM
That was some performance by Masar in The Craven Stakes, highly impressive.

HibernianJK
20-04-2018, 02:15 AM
Announced that Our Duke has sadly passed away due to a heart attack. He was always a fragile horse but it’s terribpy sad news.

ekhibee
20-04-2018, 09:55 PM
Announced that Our Duke has sadly passed away due to a heart attack. He was always a fragile horse but it’s terribpy sad news.
Yep, I honestly thought they'd worked out a way to keep him fit and healthy, RIP Our Duke.

Pretty Boy
24-04-2018, 08:37 PM
I'm a reasonable man but I hope some serious misfortune comes Paul Townends way.

What the **** was going through his head? I was on Finians Oscar, I'm not saying he would have won, but that inexplicable manoeuvre made sure he didn't.

HibernianJK
24-04-2018, 10:31 PM
I'm a reasonable man but I hope some serious misfortune comes Paul Townends way.

What the **** was going through his head? I was on Finians Oscar, I'm not saying he would have won, but that inexplicable manoeuvre made sure he didn't.

I was also on FO and was quite sure he would have won. We all know the engine he has. Has Townend spoken about the incident? One of the strangest things I’ve seen.

Pretty Boy
26-04-2018, 07:44 PM
Great to sew Faugheen back on form today. Mullins seemed to suggest the plan would have been retirement had he struggled today but not he'll likely go chasing next season.

lord bunberry
27-04-2018, 05:05 PM
I see Jim Delahunt won the naps table. That’s a pretty good achievement considering who he was up against. When I used to buy the old sporting life, I used to have a bet on the horse that was tipped up by the most in the naps table.

Pretty Boy
27-04-2018, 07:42 PM
Katie Walsh has a winner at Punchestown and promptly announces her retirement. Good luck to her, whilst her achievements will always be talked about in terms of being a 'female jockey' her record stands up against plenty of the men:

3 Festival wins
Irish Grand National
2 Grade 1s
3rd in the National

HibernianJK
28-04-2018, 02:10 AM
Great to sew Faugheen back on form today. Mullins seemed to suggest the plan would have been retirement had he struggled today but not he'll likely go chasing next season.

If the plan is chasing you would imagine it would be for a punt at the Gold Cup. Would love to see Faugheen chasing as he always looked like he would jump a brilliant fence.

More bad luck for me yesterday with Getabird and Samcro. Getabird really does seem to blow hot and cold after running really poorly earlier in the week seemed to be cruising when crashing into the railings when 2 horses fell right in front of him. Very frustrating.

ekhibee
29-04-2018, 04:53 PM
Cracksman eventually winning the Prix Ganay comfortably as the odds suggest. He seemed to come under pressure some way out but when he got past the pacemaker eased down.

ekhibee
05-05-2018, 04:00 PM
Saxon Warrior was a good winner of the 2000 Guineas, already odds on for the Derby. Great run by the runner up at 50/1.

WeeRussell
08-05-2018, 11:49 AM
Saxon Warrior was a good winner of the 2000 Guineas, already odds on for the Derby. Great run by the runner up at 50/1.

On a similar note - Cliffs of Moher gets the job done over in Ireland after being somewhat disappointing since his Epsom attempt last year.

God it's good to have the real racing back :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-05-2018, 08:00 PM
Very impressed with Roaring Lion in The Dante (the fact I backed him might've helped), the longer trip brought out a fair amount of improvement in him, now 2nd fav for The Derby.

degenerated
18-05-2018, 05:46 PM
Very impressed with Roaring Lion in The Dante (the fact I backed him might've helped), the longer trip brought out a fair amount of improvement in him, now 2nd fav for The Derby.I was down there yesterday, I had mildenberger on an each way.

Was on a jolly with a supplier up on the fourth floor of the county stand. Superb day out, not least because I did a £5 placepot which came in, after a nervous wait on stewards enquiry on the 5th race. [emoji857]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180518/71ad0d5a7b33724d9d843d30a5c26f71.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-05-2018, 06:30 PM
Thats a nice lift!

I've spent a few good days in that County Stand, particularly in the '90s for The Ebor Meeting.

Pretty Boy
18-05-2018, 07:04 PM
I was down there yesterday, I had mildenberger on an each way.

Was on a jolly with a supplier up on the fourth floor of the county stand. Superb day out, not least because I did a £5 placepot which came in, after a nervous wait on stewards enquiry on the 5th race. [emoji857]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180518/71ad0d5a7b33724d9d843d30a5c26f71.jpg

Nice one, well done.

I can take or leave the flat but I love York. Many a happy day spent on the Knavesmire at the Dante and Ebor meetings.

degenerated
18-05-2018, 07:19 PM
Nice one, well done.

I can take or leave the flat but I love York. Many a happy day spent on the Knavesmire at the Dante and Ebor meetings.
Thats a nice lift!

I've spent a few good days in that County Stand, particularly in the '90s for The Ebor Meeting.That's a couple of times I've been to York and it's a great day out.

Gets a bit lively at night when there's a meeting. Boozer I was in late last night was mobbed with loud drunk Livingston fans.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-05-2018, 08:32 PM
Post racing in the pubs of York can certainly be a bit "tasty" in more ways than one. Always some fine sights to be seen too. :-)

The Punch Bowl (pre Spoons days) was always our pre-races venue.

I remember the first time we went down we all arranged to meet in The Punch Bowl, unknown to us there were two Punch Bowls in York (not sure if thats the case now), myself and my mate went to one where there was a womens darts match on (Haxby Road) and the rest of them met in the one near the train station. IIRC Hibs lost to Dundee Utd in The League Cup that night too!

ekhibee
20-05-2018, 08:16 PM
Very impressed with Roaring Lion in The Dante (the fact I backed him might've helped), the longer trip brought out a fair amount of improvement in him, now 2nd fav for The Derby.
Yep, he was impressive. The one I liked too was Knight To Behold who won the Lingfield Derby trial. He's currently trading at around the 16/1 mark which I think's a great price.

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-05-2018, 12:34 PM
A quick heads up re the new GDPR Regs, I was talking to a guy that works in Laddies earlier who was telling me that any money won via FOBTs or the Bet Stations can now only be collected in the same shop, worth bearing in mind if placing a bet if you are away elsewhere for a day out etc.

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-06-2018, 03:54 PM
I had a tenner ew on Masar @ 16s for The Derby after he won The Craven, which is nice! 5ew for my old man too.

ekhibee
02-06-2018, 05:44 PM
I had a tenner ew on Masar @ 16s for The Derby after he won The Craven, which is nice! 5ew for my old man too.
Good stuff, well done mate, great price too! I woudn't have touched him after the 2000 Guineas but soft ground won the day at Epsom today, the first and 2nd are soft/heavy ground horses and the going was soft. Not that you'll be bothering about that!

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-06-2018, 07:50 PM
Good stuff, well done mate, great price too! I woudn't have touched him after the 2000 Guineas but soft ground won the day at Epsom today, the first and 2nd are soft/heavy ground horses and the going was soft. Not that you'll be bothering about that!

Was it not the case that the ground was drying out all day so they kept away from the stands rail apart from in the 5f race?

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-06-2018, 07:53 PM
At the moment I'm not capable of presenting a coherent argument, I'm a tad the worse for my day out!

ekhibee
02-06-2018, 07:58 PM
At the moment I'm not capable of presenting a coherent argument, I'm a tad the worse for my day out!
:thumbsup:

Pretty Boy
06-06-2018, 08:23 AM
Denman died yesterday aged 18. He'd had a good retirement team chasing then went back to Paul Nicholls last year as he wasn't able to be ridden anymore. He's been ill for a while and a decision was taken.

I'd like to think him and Kauto Star are galloping away in the big racecourse in the sky together.

Hamish
06-06-2018, 02:07 PM
Denman died yesterday aged 18. He'd had a good retirement team chasing then went back to Paul Nicholls last year as he wasn't able to be ridden anymore. He's been ill for a while and a decision was taken.

I'd like to think him and Kauto Star are galloping away in the big racecourse in the sky together.

Hopefully mate. One of the great rivalries in NH racing and they both elevated the sport to a wider audience

ekhibee
10-06-2018, 01:47 AM
Very sad news about Denman, an example of a horse with the perfect temperament for racing. He was my favourite horse from the Nicholls yard and tried every step of the way in every race he ran.

On the flat, Justify became the 13th Triple Crown winner today. A truly remarkable performance since he never ran as a 2 year old. Brilliant horse and still unbeaten too..

ekhibee
10-07-2018, 04:33 PM
Very sad news about Finian's Oscar who has had to be put down after a bout of colic. A talented but quirky novice chaser destined for a prolific career until this happened. RIP Finian's Oscar.

Pretty Boy
10-07-2018, 05:03 PM
Very sad news about Finian's Oscar who has had to be put down after a bout of colic. A talented but quirky novice chaser destined for a prolific career until this happened. RIP Finian's Oscar.

Read this earlier. I was convinced he was going to be a more than decent staying chaser in time, we'll never know.

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-07-2018, 08:39 AM
A quick heads up re the new GDPR Regs, I was talking to a guy that works in Laddies earlier who was telling me that any money won via FOBTs or the Bet Stations can now only be collected in the same shop, worth bearing in mind if placing a bet if you are away elsewhere for a day out etc.

That turned out to be a lot of nonsense, was able to collect my England -1 goal bet I put on on a machine in Carlisle in a shop in Edinburgh yesterday.

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-07-2018, 05:48 PM
Another fine dislay from Alpha Centauri @ Nmkt today to back up her blistering run at The Royal Meeting.

ekhibee
17-07-2018, 08:10 PM
Another fine dislay from Alpha Centauri @ Nmkt today to back up her blistering run at The Royal Meeting.
He didn't really beat anything today but he really looks the part on firm ground. Good horse.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-07-2018, 10:14 AM
Pretty certain the horse is a filly.

ekhibee
18-07-2018, 04:10 PM
Pretty certain the horse is a filly.
Oooops, you're quite right!!

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-08-2018, 06:31 AM
Just watched yesterday's Juddmonte, what a run by Roaring Lion, must be the best 10f horse in Europe.

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-08-2018, 02:46 PM
Smooth win for Sea of Class in The Yorkshire Oaks, Coronet comes out the race with a lot of credit giving the winner 9lbs. O'Brien horses not firing over the last 10 days or so.

ekhibee
23-08-2018, 06:14 PM
Smooth win for Sea of Class in The Yorkshire Oaks, Coronet comes out the race with a lot of credit giving the winner 9lbs. O'Brien horses not firing over the last 10 days or so.
I was very impressed with Sea of Class, sitting at the back coming into the home straight then breezing past a good field. She's still improving as well. Very good horse. I thought 7/4 was a cracking price too.

I had a bet on the last at York too, and did something I don't normally do, bet on 2 horses. I had the winner each way and the favourite on the nose, so at least I got something back for it. It's a bit of a strange setup for a 7 furlong race at York, they turn a corner nearly as tight as Catterick before coming into the home straight.

Killiehibbie
07-09-2018, 06:12 PM
The St Leger and Gold Cup weekends seem to have moved to a week later than i remember them being. When did this happen?

ekhibee
08-09-2018, 04:25 PM
Good comeback by Enable, quickening from the front to beat Crystal Ocean. She was carrying 8lb less than the runner up and it was on the allweather but still good enough to make her 2/1 favourite for the Arc. Crystal Ocean still ran a good race, at level weights might get a bit closer. Good to see Enable back though.

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-09-2018, 08:42 PM
Alpha Centauri and Saxon Warrior retired today, shame for Irish racing. Another fine run over 10f from Roaring Lion yesterday, I think we saw a Guineas winner in Too Darn Hot too, although Quorto was impressive today also.

ekhibee
07-10-2018, 04:34 PM
Enable wins the Arc for the 2nd time, great horse. On this occasion I think she was fortunate, only a head/short head in it. The draw was significant today and Sea of Class would definitely have won in the next stride or 2. Sea of Class had a rotten draw out wide and came late and fast but congrats to Enable anyway.