PDA

View Full Version : Before Romanov.

Greencore
20-05-2017, 01:33 PM
Just wondering; what were the hearts teams and fans mentality before the Romanov years? Did they come out with "big team" pish?

Have hearts always robbed off charitys and local businesses?

When was the last time they were not over spending and on a level playing field with us?

Just wanting a glimpse in the future for what is to come....

tamig
20-05-2017, 01:38 PM
The overspending started under the odious Mercer in the 80s. The Pieman carried it on to increased levels before the Mad One arrived. Their fans have been gradually gaining some warped sense of superiority complex since they accumulated a few lengthy unbeaten runs over us under Mercer. Before then, they were just another set of football fans imo. They created the hate. The tide has turned now though.

FilipinoHibs
20-05-2017, 01:47 PM
Romanov took on £22 mill of debt and stopped them selling Tynecastle and renting Murrayfield. Been on the make for years.

PISTOL1875
20-05-2017, 01:48 PM
Trying to sign Lee McCulloch frok Motherwell for £1million rings a bell

iwasthere1972
20-05-2017, 01:49 PM
Just wondering; what were the hearts teams and fans mentallylity before the Romanov years? Did they come out with "big team" pish?

When was the last time they were not over spending and on a level playing field with us?

Can I just add that they haven't won the League Cup since Harold MacMillan was Prime Minister, The Beatles were just making a name for themselves, The Forth Road Bridge was still a couple of years away from opening, Nobody had heard of Dr Who and even he hadn't come across the Daleks yet and I was still in shorts.

Disgraceful.

tamsonsbairn
20-05-2017, 01:50 PM
The overspending started under the odious Mercer in the 80s. The Pieman carried it on to increased levels before the Mad One arrived. Their fans have been gradually gaining some warped sense of superiority complex since they accumulated a few lengthy unbeaten runs over us under Mercer. Before then, they were just another set of football fans imo. They created the hate. The tide has turned now though.
Aye they've always been the big team. Just remember their song, away doon in gorgay at tynecastle park, there's a WEE fitba team that aye makes its mark. so there it is folks, A WEE FITBA TEAM. :na na: :flag:.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
20-05-2017, 01:55 PM

:agree:

Bostonhibby
20-05-2017, 02:21 PM
Before mercer they were about the same as most opposition fans outside the uglies to me.

I had no real issues with their fans of that era. The attitudes of superiority, bigness and thievery to win at any cost comes from that era as did the extra glory hunters since.

They're paying for it now Hell mend them.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

AltheHibby
20-05-2017, 03:16 PM
Can I just add that they haven't won the League Cup since Harold MacMillan was Prime Minister, The Beatles were just making a name for themselves, The Forth Road Bridge was still a couple of years away from opening, Nobody had heard of Dr Who and even he hadn't come across the Daleks yet and I was still in shorts.

Disgraceful.

And I wasn't born. Okay, I was the next day, but they still haven't won it since I was born.

NAE NOOKIE
20-05-2017, 03:18 PM

This for me too ..... Prior to Mercer taking over it was a pretty healthy rivalry, even if the 70s included a few punch ups, but that was standard practice all over the UK at the time :greengrin

But on the arrival of Romanov the sense of superiority grew and grew based on a load of talk backed up with very little on or off the pitch apart from two cup final wins against a village team and a team of mostly duds with a stinking attitude ..... I've said it so many times, but I've never been able to understand how in these circumstances where Hibs were doing very little and couldn't buy a derby win that the hatred grew and grew from the maroon side of the rivalry, when in any normal universe it should have been the other way around.

I dare say it would take a team of psychologists and psychiatrists to make sense of that one ...... my personal theory is that much as Hearts would like to claim to be Edinburgh's go to team its just never going to happen and no matter how many derby wins they have or will have or how many cups they win Hibs have and always will have a solid support in the capital and beyond ..... I think that's something they just cant get over and they hate us for it :thumbsup:

Hermit Crab
20-05-2017, 03:22 PM
This for me too ..... Prior to Mercer taking over it was a pretty healthy rivalry, even if the 70s included a few punch ups, but that was standard practice all over the UK at the time :greengrin

But on the arrival of Romanov the sense of superiority grew and grew based on a load of talk backed up with very little on or off the pitch apart from two cup final wins against a village team and a team of mostly duds with a stinking attitude ..... I've said it so many times, but I've never been able to understand how in these circumstances where Hibs were doing very little and couldn't buy a derby win that the hatred grew and grew from the maroon side of the rivalry, when in any normal universe it should have been the other way around.

I dare say it would take a team of psychologists and psychiatrists to make sense of that one ...... my personal theory is that much as Hearts would like to claim to be Edinburgh's go to team its just never going to happen and no matter how many derby wins they have or will have or how many cups they win Hibs have and always will have a solid support in the capital and beyond ..... I think that's something they just cant get over and they hate us for it :thumbsup:

I remember Romanov saying that Hearts would never lose 5-0 in Scotland again, a few months later Celtic scudded them 5-0 :greengrin

Not forgetting their we are unbeatable song as Boozy put the first of 2 past them.

Cod Boy
20-05-2017, 05:09 PM
During that era there was Hearts fans saying Celtic was there rivals on the pitch now and we were just there near neighbors.

Kato
20-05-2017, 06:16 PM

For those too young to remember Mercer did things like call the Hearts fans "customers" and told all and sundry that Hearts would be leaving Scottish football to join a European super league as they out-grown it. Total thatcherite con-man who had to try and asset strip his closest competitor to pay-off the debts he had accrued.

Dashing Bob S
20-05-2017, 06:36 PM
They are pretty useless without a World War to win. Or 'the big war' as their fans refer to it.

Waxy
20-05-2017, 06:45 PM
The jambos always spent way beyond their means from the early eighties.Reckon the root of it was the hurt of losing 0-7 to us at their beloved PBS.

theonlywayisup
20-05-2017, 06:48 PM

For me, it was the Scottish Cup win in 1998 that saw the start of it. Yes, they had gone 22 in a row and things like that but it was not until they beat Rangers in 1998 that the wee team / big team started.

Before 1998, no-one ever mentioned 1902. Instead, I recall the Daily Record listing all the teams that had won trophies since the "famous" had won a trophy. The list included Partick Thistle, Raith Rovers, St Mirren, Dunfermline, Kilmarnock, Motherwell along with Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee United and the smellies.

Now St. Johnstone, Inverness Caley Thistle, Ross County, St Mirren, Aberdeen, Celtic and, yes, Hibernian have all won a trophy since the "famous".

Bostonhibby
20-05-2017, 07:02 PM
For me, it was the Scottish Cup win in 1998 that saw the start of it. Yes, they had gone 22 in a row and things like that but it was not until they beat Rangers in 1998 that the wee team / big team started.

Before 1998, no-one ever mentioned 1902. Instead, I recall the Daily Record listing all the teams that had won trophies since the "famous" had won a trophy. The list included Partick Thistle, Raith Rovers, St Mirren, Dunfermline, Kilmarnock, Motherwell along with Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee United and the smellies.

Now St. Johnstone, Inverness Caley Thistle, Ross County, St Mirren, Aberdeen, Celtic and, yes, Hibernian have all won a trophy since the "famous".
Still famous though. None of those teams have published a bigger creditors list

HUTCHISONHIBS
20-05-2017, 08:05 PM
Just wondering; what were the hearts teams and fans mentality before the Romanov years? Did they come out with "big team" pish?

During the Deans and Robinson period , Hearts were given 8.2 million pounds from Scottish media group (SMG) and were able to make some big money signings and help them win the cup in 1998 . They never paid the money back, Smg paid them 4.1 million on worthless shares , and another 4.1 million on an advance of possible future shares, which they decided not to go ahead with , however smg never got the money back, and I remember Garry McKay leading a demonstration outside SMG,S office in Glasgow saying how dare they demand there money back, Hibs have never had a hand out like that and never will, could only happen to them

Mr White
20-05-2017, 08:11 PM
During the Deans and Robinson period , Hearts were given 8.2 million pounds from Scottish media group (SMG) and were able to make some big money signings and help them win the cup in 1998 . They never paid the money back, Smg paid them 4.1 million on worthless shares , and another 4.1 million on an advance of possible future shares, which they decided not to go ahead with , however smg never got the money back, and I remember Garry McKay leading a demonstration outside SMG,S office in Glasgow saying how dare they demand there money back, Hibs have never had a hand out like that and never will, could only happen to them

The SMG investment wasn't made until over a year after they won the 98 scottish cup.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-1577296/SMG-takes-a-stake-in-Hearts-for-1638m.html

Kato
20-05-2017, 08:14 PM
Robinson and Deans just ramped up Mercer's debt, which 4million squid when The Pie Man took over. Some of the SMG money was supposed to go toward building Riccarton, but the squandered it on players and eventually reneged on the deal with Heriot Watt - hence their renter status there.

Kato
20-05-2017, 08:15 PM
The SMG investment wasn't made until over a year after they won the 98 scottish cup.

That's true .They were going to "take on the old firm" with the SMG cash and made a pig's ear of the whole thing.

Mr White
20-05-2017, 08:19 PM
That's true .They were going to "take on the old firm" with the SMG cash and made a pig's ear of the whole thing.

They didn't buy a scottish cup at that point but they did buy Gordan Petric. For 500K.

Smartie
20-05-2017, 08:19 PM

Did they not waste the entire sum on 3 utterly pish, horribly overpriced signings?

Fitzroy Simpson, Gordan Petric and I can't remember the third.

Bostonhibby
20-05-2017, 08:21 PM
They've not really had a lot of luck with other people's money in my life time. Paying it back has never arisen so hopefully Mrs Budge is watching

Mr White
20-05-2017, 08:24 PM
Did they not waste the entire sum on 3 utterly pish, horribly overpriced signings?

Fitzroy Simpson, Gordan Petric and I can't remember the third.

Robert Tomaschek?