PDA

View Full Version : Players really understand this club

21sMay
20-05-2017, 11:21 AM
I've noticed recently that their are many Players, some have left and some still here, but they really seem to take hibs to their hearts . Liam Henderson, Grant Holt and now fontaine to name just a few. These guys would never have supported us but after a year or so in the squad and surrounded by us fans they really seem to grow very fond of this great club and its brilliant to see

matty_f
20-05-2017, 11:34 AM
This was something that ironically enough was picked up in the wake of the 2012 final, a game we lost with a team that contained a considerable number of players who simply didn't care enough about the club.

There's been a lot of work to fix the culture at the club and make it somewhere that players feel a connection. This has been helped by success as well, but it's no accident that we're seeing this, and a lot of credit is due to the staff at Hibs for creating an environment where this happens.

snooky
20-05-2017, 11:43 AM
The list is endless ... Murph, Rob Jones, Ivan, Jackie Mac, etc.
There are a few exceptions, namely Matt Doherty, Andy Wal*er and probably one or two others but they're no loss.
Of course, the one biggie on that side is Franck. Tragic, however we live in hope that someday.....

NAE NOOKIE
20-05-2017, 12:01 PM
For years this was something that seemed to happen around Hearts and without doubt contributed to the fact that Hearts teams who shouldn't have been a match for what we had on the park were able to get results in so many derby matches.

But now the whole situation appears to have turned around .... even guys who came to Hibs with no connection to the club previously seem to buy into the whole idea of what we are about and seem keen to make a connection with the fans ... they might not arrive Hibs fans, but they sure as hell leave as Hibs fans.

Long may it continue :thumbsup:

Glory Lurker
20-05-2017, 12:04 PM
Not a player, but John Doolan. Wow.

Vini1875
20-05-2017, 12:08 PM
The connection between the fans and the team is also very strong. Something we had lost to a degree. The sense that we are all in this together will pay dividends all around I am sure.

Joe6-2
20-05-2017, 12:09 PM

This

snooky
20-05-2017, 12:15 PM

Not a player, but Pat Nevin. Wow

Viva_Palmeiras
20-05-2017, 12:31 PM
This was something that ironically enough was picked up in the wake of the 2012 final, a game we lost with a team that contained a considerable number of players who simply didn't care enough about the club.

There's been a lot of work to fix the culture at the club and make it somewhere that players feel a connection. This has been helped by success as well, but it's no accident that we're seeing this, and a lot of credit is due to the staff at Hibs for creating an environment where this happens.

Imagine if we'd won with that makeshift team?
Don't get me wrong the SC is the SC but the way we won it with the team we did just goes to underline how frighteningly close to perfection our victory was.

snooky
20-05-2017, 12:49 PM
Don't get me wrong the SC is the SC but the way we won it with the team we did just goes to underline how frighteningly close to perfection our victory was.

TBH, there was a part of me that was relieved(?) that we didn't win it with a team with too many 'also-rans'.
I always wanted to remember the Holy Grail winning side as heroes (as they were last year).
The Matt Doherty's of this world don't deserve any status whatsoever in the history of Hibernian F. C.
If nothing else, despite the result, I thank God we didn't win it then, for that reason and that reason only.

20-05-2017, 01:32 PM

This 100%. Matt Dohertys "I couldn't give a ****" tweet after the 2012 says it all and sadly summed up that attitude of many players we used to have. Pathetic attitude for any professional football player to have. Its because of players like that that we ended up where we did.

20-05-2017, 01:34 PM

Yep, the likes of Doherty, Kujabi, Soares, O'Hanlon, Osbourne etc would have been written into the history books as legends. Frightening! Glad it happened the way it did, with a team of hard working guys who will give 100% for this club.

Centre Hawf
20-05-2017, 02:22 PM
TBH, there was a part of me that was relieved(?) that we didn't win it with a team with too many 'also-rans'.
I always wanted to remember the Holy Grail winning side as heroes (as they were last year).
The Matt Doherty's of this world don't deserve any status whatsoever in the history of Hibernian F. C.
If nothing else, despite the result, I thank God we didn't win it then, for that reason and that reason only.

This 100 times. I would sit through 5-1 all over again if it meant that we got to assemble the perfect team of people who cared and played for the jersey like last seasons squad did and finally win it. Im delighted that clowns like Matt Doherty never got to be classed as heroes for winning what to them would be just another game of football.

hibbie02
20-05-2017, 02:28 PM
Big Conrad seemed to get Hibs immediately and still does. His Facebook comments are priceless, he really has it in for the Yams, Houston and Duff Jimmy. Legend!

Galahibby
20-05-2017, 03:57 PM
Big Conrad seemed to get Hibs immediately and still does. His Facebook comments are priceless, he really has it in for the Yams, Houston and Duff Jimmy. Legend!

You know that's not him, yeh?

southsider
20-05-2017, 05:27 PM
How the hell has it taken 114 years when we only had to win 5 games ? Still just after watching final with a wee bevy. Remember always

Albanian Hibs
20-05-2017, 05:30 PM

😂😂😂

sleeping giant
20-05-2017, 05:37 PM
You know that's not him, yeh?

FFS.
You must be a barrel of laughs on Christmas Eve :greengrin

Diclonius
20-05-2017, 05:46 PM

No point thinking about it - you could have played that game a hundred times over and we would never, ever have won.

The argument before the game about win bonuses - ****ing win bonuses - sums it up.

Andy74
20-05-2017, 05:54 PM
Yep, the likes of Doherty, Kujabi, Soares, O'Hanlon, Osbourne etc would have been written into the history books as legends. Frightening! Glad it happened the way it did, with a team of hard working guys who will give 100% for this club.

This is nonsense. If those guys had won the cup they would have deserved the status that came with it.

The team that won it last year had just chucked away a play off and the league cup final. Made no odds once they won it.

The players we brought in on loan at that time have been judged pretty much on that game.

They came in to a club that was heading for a very possible relegation. They turned that around and reached the cup final.

Doherty was as good a right back as we'd had in years at that stage. Judgement of him and the others would have been very different had they won it.

It's taking it a bit too far to say we are glad they didn't win it.

Bristolhibby
20-05-2017, 07:51 PM
I've noticed recently that their are many Players, some have left and some still here, but they really seem to take hibs to their hearts . Liam Henderson, Grant Holt and now fontaine to name just a few. These guys would never have supported us but after a year or so in the squad and surrounded by us fans they really seem to grow very fond of this great club and its brilliant to see

Things like this help players connect with the fans. Seriously, had any of the 2012 players seen anything like this? Lewis aside with the league cup.

http://www.stpats.club/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/l78iz3q1u7zmuxf6sqvat4h59thf4y.jpeg?b225b1

we are hibs
20-05-2017, 07:57 PM
You know what, the fans have seriously upped their game too whilst we've been in the championship. The vocal backing the team have had in the last 3 years, especially in big games; has been incredible. It must be enticing to sign for hibs when you see the level of support, the atmosphere at hampden last month, the final, the derbies, most games at ER. Why wouldn't you want to play for this club and these fans?

Viva_Palmeiras
20-05-2017, 08:14 PM
You know what, the fans have seriously upped their game too whilst we've been in the championship. The vocal backing the team have had in the last 3 years, especially in big games; has been incredible. It must be enticing to sign for hibs when you see the level of support, the atmosphere at hampden last month, the final, the derbies, most games at ER. Why wouldn't you want to play for this club and these fans?

Many have played their part but if people cast their mind back to those awful days where the atmosphere was either non-existent or poisonous the one constant has been the sect 43 guys and gals and the like trying to start something despite the odds. Thank for sticking with it guys in those rough timed just makes it all the sweeter when things do come together.

Lancs Harp
20-05-2017, 08:48 PM
Hibs as a club in general has a great sense of community, a belonging, a family feel to it. Not just the players and ex players but its fans too. It doesnt matter where you come from, who you are, you're a Hibby you're in, you're family. Theres a great sense of togetherness about the Club that has been even more enhanced recently with success on the park and what Leeann and co are achieving behind the scenes.

Galahibby
21-05-2017, 08:25 PM
FFS.
You must be a barrel of laughs on Christmas Eve :greengrin

Eh... whatever you say, petal :hmmm:

lord bunberry
21-05-2017, 08:32 PM
Big Marv gets it.

snooky
21-05-2017, 10:52 PM
Hibs as a club in general has a great sense of community, a belonging, a family feel to it. Not just the players and ex players but its fans too. It doesnt matter where you come from, who you are, you're a Hibby you're in, you're family. Theres a great sense of togetherness about the Club that has been even more enhanced recently with success on the park and what Leeann and co are achieving behind the scenes.

There's a bond that comes through going through hard times together. Much more so than only sharing the successes.
With some of the results we've endured our bond is surely Superglued solid by now. :scarf:

ian cruise
21-05-2017, 11:30 PM
One of the biggest influences on the team and our team spirit is Jace, he seems to help the team enjoy their time at the club with his easy going and fun loving attitude. Another reason we'll miss him when he's gone.

snooky
21-05-2017, 11:38 PM
One of the biggest influences on the team and our team spirit is Jace, he seems to help the team enjoy their time at the club with his easy going and fun loving attitude. Another reason we'll miss him when he's gone.

Good point. There's nothing better that the energy of youth. When the Golden Generation were in full swing ER was buzzing with teenagers on & off the park. Nothing wrong with old farts like myself but the bravado of, dare I say it, 'immaturity' is an essential ingredient if you want to generate excitement.

Thecat23
21-05-2017, 11:43 PM
This is nonsense. If those guys had won the cup they would have deserved the status that came with it.

The team that won it last year had just chucked away a play off and the league cup final. Made no odds once they won it.

The players we brought in on loan at that time have been judged pretty much on that game.

They came in to a club that was heading for a very possible relegation. They turned that around and reached the cup final.

Doherty was as good a right back as we'd had in years at that stage. Judgement of him and the others would have been very different had they won it.

It's taking it a bit too far to say we are glad they didn't win it.

The run in the cup they had compared to the one that won it shows the team spirit the 2016 team had. To bounce back from dominating yet sadly losing a last min goal in the LCF showed huge character.

I'm delighted how we won it, to think guys like Docherty could have had a medal makes me feel sick. Horrific players in that side with some bang average.

Thecat23
21-05-2017, 11:49 PM

Bang on. The way we were run back then was brutal. Had been for years!

blackpoolhibs
22-05-2017, 05:47 AM
If we'd won the cup in 2012 we'd have all forgiven each and every one of them for murdering our kids.

I'm glad this team won it, but i sure as hell would have loved them every bit as much too.

I also hate quite a few of that bunch of losers.

I'm fickle as ****. :greengrin

stantonhibby
22-05-2017, 12:29 PM
To suggest the team that had just won the cup , and against Hearts as well, wouldnt be heroes is absolute guff.

Smartie
22-05-2017, 12:37 PM
To suggest the team that had just won the cup , and against Hearts as well, wouldnt be heroes is absolute guff.

It's quite funny thinking of a parallel universe where Matt Doherty is the heroic right-back who scored a winner in a cup final.

1van Sprou7e
22-05-2017, 12:38 PM

You're right but it wouldn't be the same as it is with most of this team.

Let's be honest, the only way we would have won in 2012 would be through a moment of magic from O'Connor/Griffiths or a piece of sheit refereeing or some other fluke. It would never have been a real determined team effort like 21/5 was because the fact is that most of the "team" we had back then couldn't give a f*** less about our club

snooky
22-05-2017, 12:42 PM
You're right but it wouldn't be the same as it is with most of this team.

Let's be honest, the only way we would have won in 2012 would be through a moment of magic from O'Connor/Griffiths or a piece of sheit refereeing or some other fluke. It would never have been a real determined team effort like 21/5 was because the fact is that most of the "team" we had back then couldn't give a f*** less about our club

The Karma was all wrong then. Totally different ambience about the club now.
That said, I still don't believe in Karma :cb

SaulGoodman
22-05-2017, 03:45 PM
It's quite funny thinking of a parallel universe where Matt Doherty is the heroic right-back who scored a winner in a cup final.

But that's football, we win that game and Dickerty never makes his "I don't give a ****" comment and the team goes down as heroes.

EDIT: I'm leaving the rather unfortunate Freudian slip in there.

snooky
22-05-2017, 06:51 PM
But that's football, we win that game and Dickerty never makes his "I don't give a ****" comment and the team goes down as heroes.

EDIT: I'm leaving the rather unfortunate Freudian slip in there.

Reads fine to me.

Diclonius
22-05-2017, 07:12 PM
If the 2012 team had by some incredible feat managed to win that game, they would have been given even bigger hero status than the 2016 team has.

Seriously - you're telling me that a rag-tag band of loans, journeymen and considerably average players in general winning that game wouldn't go down as the greatest Hibs team ever? Winning the cup for the first time in 110 years AND against our arch rivals, a team who at the time hadn't lost to us in ten games spanning over three years. Matt Doherty would never have had to buy a drink in Leith again.

However, pigs can't fly, and neither could that team of losers even come close. End of discussion.

tamig
22-05-2017, 07:22 PM
The run in the cup they had compared to the one that won it shows the team spirit the 2016 team had. To bounce back from dominating yet sadly losing a last min goal in the LCF showed huge character.

I'm delighted how we won it, to think guys like Docherty could have had a medal makes me feel sick. Horrific players in that side with some bang average.
The League Cup final defeat was secondary imo. It was the circumstances of the gutting play off defeat only a week earlier that made the cup win an even more remarkable achievement.

Swedish hibee
22-05-2017, 08:02 PM
Whilst I get that the current players have a much better attitude to Hibs than some we've had over the years- it's still a job to them. Most wouldn't take big pay cuts to stay here. And why would they?
Now Lewis & Paul on the other hand...

Johnny Clash
22-05-2017, 08:22 PM
I remember thinking before the 2012 final how strange if that squad could win something that the Famous Five team and Turnbull's Tornadoes couldn't!

I had no problem with the 2012 hibs team prior to the game but obviously the attitudes of some players during the game and after sucked. It's just made victory 4 years later all the more sweeter and the squad that won all had the right attitude, commitment and passion for Hibs. The same goes for players who joined last season and of course Neil Lennon. Can't wait for the pre-season friendlies now!!

snooky
22-05-2017, 09:00 PM
Whilst I get that the current players have a much better attitude to Hibs than some we've had over the years- it's still a job to them. Most wouldn't take big pay cuts to stay here. And why would they?
Now Lewis & Paul on the other hand...

There's no more bigger Hibby than Sparky however, sometimes you have to keep your wallet separate from your heart.

lyonhibs
22-05-2017, 09:09 PM

Frankly, walking out of Hampden Park on 19.05.2012 I'd have been ecstatic to be calling these jesters legends had it gone our way.

"Glad" we got beaten 5-1 by The Filth in a SC Final FFS - give me a break.

mcohibs
22-05-2017, 11:50 PM
Frankly, walking out of Hampden Park on 19.05.2012 I'd have been ecstatic to be calling these jesters legends had it gone our way.

"Glad" we got beaten 5-1 by The Filth in a SC Final FFS - give me a break.

What part of his post says he's glad we got beat 5-1 by hearts?

He's saying that, when the time came for us to finally win it, he's glad it was done with a squad of players that have shown a real affinity towards our club and it's supporters. Spot on imo