PDA

View Full Version : A Year Ago Today

Glory Lurker
20-05-2017, 08:58 AM
The Friday, that is :greengrin.

How did you spend your last day under the shadow of 114?

Up until the Wednesday of that week I was still too gutted about the play off to summon up any enthusiasm for the final so even the day before the game I wasn't as pumped up as I would otherwise have been. I spent a fair bit of the day trying to gee myself up, having to persuade myself we could win it.

And I almost went to bed in that mood.

I had seen a lot of mention on .net of the "Life With Hibs - Julie's Story" film, but had not watched it. I decided to do that before turning in. And I cried. I was very moved by her story and also thought about how much our club has meant to family and friends no longer with us, and to those of us who remain. It settled my thoughts on the final. It would be what it would be. If we lost, we would still be Hibs and I wouldn't swap that for anything.

So I ended the last day of the great wait calm, and fiercely proud of our team.

And for what followed, thank you so much, Hibernian Football Club.

Robinho08
20-05-2017, 09:19 AM
I was flying home from Dublin, with a lucky shamrock and harp pin badge that I bought in tourist tat shop. Wore the badge and had the shamrock in my pocket for the game. 🏆 🇳🇬 ☘

20-05-2017, 09:19 AM
Nervous but excited. I just had a feeling this time was different. Said that to my dad in the car on the saturday morning driving down to ER for the bus, something just felt different about that morning compared to the SC finals vs hearts and celtic.

The Friday night, I was trying desperately to put the back of my mind the possibility of yet another SC heartache and was fully focused on dreaming what it would be like if we won it. The reality of winning it however was just more than I had ever dreamt or imagined it though, nothing could have possibly prepared me for the emotion of that day.

The nerves, the excitement, the anticipation all kicked off what was the be the absolute greatest weekend of all time. I remember sitting at work on the friday, not getting anything done, in a world of my own the whole day just dreaming of what could be and getting a lump in my throat imagining a SoL at full time if we won. That night, despite vowing to stay completely off the bevy so I was 100% fresh for the next days early start, I cracked open just a few drinks to settle the nerves and give me half a chance of getting any sleep!

It was like being a bairn on christmas eve. Imagine being a yam that night and knowing their whole "1902, 114 years, big team big cup" was potentially just 24hrs away from coming crashing down :greengrin I actually got a text on the friday night from a good pal of mine whos a jambo (a half decent one in fairness) saying they felt absolutely sick.

What I would give to do that weekend all over again. Memories that will live with me till the day I die :flag:

Mr White
20-05-2017, 09:22 AM
Flew over from Belfast with my boy having had the traditional starting off pint of guiness in the bar at George Best city airport. I felt confident we were going to do it and texted another poster on here saying it's in the bag. I didn't have the nerve to post that on here though :greengrin

Pretty Boy
20-05-2017, 09:23 AM
I was just determined to enjoy the day. Friday was a few pints in Leith with various groups of friends. I bumped into a few faces from here then went home and slept fine.

I think the way the Falkirk game ended had blunted my belief we could win it quite a bit.

What followed is a story for tomorrow.

JimBHibees
20-05-2017, 09:25 AM
Nowhere near as nervous as other cup finals because of the play off disappointment just before it however knew we had a very decent chance of winning giving the league games with Rangers. Kind of thought not playing in the play off final on the Tuesday before the final would help us however no way of knowing what nick Rangers would be in as they hadn't played for a while.

The rest was just history. :flag:

O'Rourke3
20-05-2017, 09:27 AM
Friday was the first day I actually started to think about football and the cup following the previous week. Did feel different on the Saturday. Probably simply lack of expectation and that we were going to get our third boot in the chuckies in short succession.

Cardinal G
20-05-2017, 09:27 AM
I was gutted as I had spent an hour fruitlessly searching for my dad's 1979 cup final scarf in the loft. I knew we would be seated in virtually the same spot as 79, I lost him in 1998 and he was the one that hooked me as a 14 year old on Hibs, so wanted to have a little bit of him with me on the day, as it happened I found it the following week, sods law.
On that day though I knew he was there with me in spirit though, it was to the sky I turned when Liam lined up for the injury time corner and asked him and my mam to grant us a goal, the rest was history as they say

JimBHibees
20-05-2017, 09:29 AM
I was gutted as I had spent an hour fruitlessly searching for my dad's 1979 cup final scarf in the loft. I knew we would be seated in virtually the same spot as 79, I lost him in 1998 and he was the one that hooked me as a 14 year old on Hibs, so wanted to have a little bit of him with me on the day, as it happened I found it the following week, sods law.
On that day though I knew he was there with me in spirit though, it was to the sky I turned when Liam lined up for the injury time corner and asked him and my mam to grant us a goal, the rest was history as they say

:not worth :flag:

Craig_in_Prague
20-05-2017, 09:32 AM
Flew home with my wife, son & mother + auntie (who were in Prague for a few days), as we made the final it was really nice we could all fly back to Edinburgh together without the sad goodbyes.
VIP part of the airport so a nice wee drinkie poos and yummy breakfast before flying back.
Rest of the day was just taken it easy, some goodies from shops and just waiting for the following morning to arrive. Brother picked me up and was hyper and said we're gonna win today... Deep down I felt the same but couldn't convince myself really.

GGTTH

Frazerbob
20-05-2017, 09:40 AM
Traditional cup final eve pub crawl around Leith with pals, culminating in a drunken dance on the bar in the Port o Leith. Magic night, we just knew this time would be different.

Topographic Hibby
20-05-2017, 09:47 AM
I seem to remember that I felt quite down about the whole thing in the lead up.

The cheater clubs TRFC and HMFC were in the top flight. We, the honest club, had failed again to gain promotion and had lost the League Cup when we should have won it a couple of months beforehand. It was a feeling of "here we go again" visiting this foresaken place to be put to the sword again. Another SCF defeat to add to my list.

But I went along, because it has to end one day, doesn't it? Imagine the feeling when it did? Could I be present when we won the cup? My father and grandfather never saw it. Could I see it?

Oh well, roll on kick-off and see what happens...........

Godsahibby
20-05-2017, 09:49 AM
Flying back from London been down there working all week. Decided last minute I needed a new green top for the game. Stopped into the Lacoste shop Stanstead asked the boy behind the counter if they sold lucky green shirts. Thankfully they had them in stock.

Popped in again on my way home the next week to thank the guy. He said he has thought about me when seeing the score come in.

Hibs1969
20-05-2017, 10:00 AM
Sadly I was at my father-in-law's funeral. He was a great guy (despite being a jambo) whose favourite ever player was Gordon Smith. After the funeral as we sat drinking in the sun, talk inevitably turned to the final the following day. I bravely predicted to my cousin that we would win 3-2, half hoping and half praying that it would come true. If only I'd stuck £50 on it........

I've got so many happy memories of the day itself that it will go down as one of the best days of my life, most definitely the greatest sporting day ever, a fantastic day spent with my 2 boys and other family and a day which has re-energised and re-generated our great club.

TT07
20-05-2017, 10:34 AM
I was oncall at work starting on Friday evening 5pm for a week.
3 weeks prior i organised cover so that i could go the final with Dad (70 years a hibee) & my son.

I also organised cover for the Sunday so that i could go to the parade-:)

After we beat TRFC at ER a couple of weeks before i was convinced it was our year.

20 mins to go & 2-1 down, i began to doubt myself.
The rest is History.

Great day and the next year has been even better.
Life changed for all Hibees on the 21st May 2016

superfurryhibby
20-05-2017, 11:03 AM
The nerves were tingling, just like they are now. This was my fourth Scottish Cup final and I felt quietly optimistic. I was at work and probably a wee bit distracted. Sure I needed a few drinks to help me settle that night.

The next day was the greatest day of my life, aside from family events. The memories will live with me until the day I die, thank you, thank you.

Keith_M
20-05-2017, 11:18 AM
I remember having a feeling of impending doom... that we were about to play our part in The Rangers glorious 'return' to the premier league with a Cup Win under their belts.

I'd seen it all before and didn't have any reason to think it would turn out any different, especially as I'd already come over for the League Cup final and watched us allow Ross County to kick us in the stains in the last minute.

I knew exactly what would happen and that's why I turned off the TV when they went 2-1 ahead and refused to read about it ever since.

When will we finally win the damn thing?!? :grr:

Eyrie
20-05-2017, 11:29 AM
Relaxed, but only because I had close to fifty years of disappointment as a Hibs fan behind me. That meant that I didn't really believe we were going to win the next day so had no expectations to be nervous about.

I think the first time that I truly believed was when Stokes scored his second.

tomf
20-05-2017, 11:31 AM
Before the game I can honestly say that, as many other posters have noted, it just felt different. Our bus stopped at a cricket club in Glasgow and their hospitality added to what was to be the greatest of days. All the supporters I spoke to said the same thing...it felt different. I believe we were all just a little bit more relaxed and I am certain that the team knew they could beat Rangers. I have never believed in hoodoos or voodoo and any rational person would say that, sooner or later, Hibs would lift the trophy again as we had a great record of getting to finals. I was there with my son and his family and we had all been to Hampden before...and seen Hibs win so there was no reason not to have some belief. When it really showed was how the match unfolded. I don't think there was a Hibs supporter in that stadium (or at home, in the pub etc) who didn't think we can still win this. But what a way to win it! The cliché is to say it was Roy of The Rovers but no...it was the Hibs way...class. As for the celebrations afterwards; that was simply an expression of joy and Sunshine On Leith never sounded better. The procession on Sunday showed how big a club Hibs really are. I now try to avoid questions about getting married, children being born, grandchildren being born, etc because, to be honest, although those events are incredibly special to me, the emotion at the end of that match was just overwhelming. Mon the Hibs.

PatHead
20-05-2017, 11:57 AM
I was working on the Friday and the yams had gone quiet after a lot of digs thoughout the week. After the Falkirk match I was sure we would lose. As the week went on I remembered how crap the new club were and got more confident. Had a couple of pints on the way home and sorted out a couple of things for my bus. Slept well dreaming about the next day.......

Haymaker
20-05-2017, 12:06 PM
I wasn't exactly up for the game, after the LC final and playoff defeat I was expecting another defeat.

So I spent the 20th of May hungover on a train to Edinburgh then went on the lash with Francksuzy in the hibs club making me horribly hungover on the Saturday morning!

Mon_the_cabbage
20-05-2017, 12:50 PM
For a snapshot of the general mood on here, have a look at pages 187 - 189.

Just had a read and the parade route announcement thread is one that particularly tickled me.

theonlywayisup
20-05-2017, 01:23 PM
I knew we were going to win the cup. See my post of the 16th April 2016. It was written in the stars!!

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?309640-We-re-going-to-win-the-Cup&highlight=

Like others have said, I didn't feel like that on the way home from the Falkirk game. However, as the week progressed towards the 21st May. I became even more confident. After all, The Rangers were (and still are) a poor team. What was there to be afraid off?

The Pointer
20-05-2017, 02:07 PM
I don't really remember much about the Friday except that I was at work and just had a few chats with my Hibby mate. Following the play-off disappointment, I was resigned to going through the whole rigmarole of going up to Hampden, meeting my daughter, eating in the same cafe and going round to the Cathcart Road area to park (well away from the other lot), only to return afterwards feeling sh*t while trying to avoid contact with them on the drive home.

I knew we had a decent record against them, but such was my state of mind, I thought defeat would just cap another miserable end to a season. I'd gone through the whole expectation thing so many times before I couldn't raise much enthusiasm.

Had a beer the night before but that would be about it with the drive the next day, but that will have to wait till I type out my story.

iwasthere1972
20-05-2017, 02:28 PM
I knew we were going to win the cup. See my post of the 16th April 2016. It was written in the stars!!

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?309640-We-re-going-to-win-the-Cup&highlight=

Like others have said, I didn't feel like that on the way home from the Falkirk game. However, as the week progressed towards the 21st May. I became even more confident. After all, The Rangers were (and still are) a poor team. What was there to be afraid off?

:greengrin

The below was, by the looks of it, posted by a bitter Yam just after yours and he/she was kicked oot by admin.

When the Hibs go up to lift the Scottish Cup.

This is the year folks!

Feeling very good indeed tonight!

Raising my glass to Conrad,

Cheers Conrad!

lord bunberry
20-05-2017, 03:47 PM
I remember not being as excited as I usually was before a final. I knew this was our best chance of winning it in my lifetime, but I had to keep telling myself that. I had a few beers in the house and that raised my spirits. I went to bed dreaming of glory.
I remember thinking after the playoff defeat that even if we did win it I wouldn't be in full party mode. I was wrong, very very wrong :greengrin

Sir David Gray
20-05-2017, 04:47 PM
I remember being excited by the Friday. I had got the disappointment of the play off defeat out of my system and I was looking forward to the final although I wasn't too confident.

FranckSuzy
20-05-2017, 05:00 PM
I wasn't exactly up for the game, after the LC final and playoff defeat I was expecting another defeat.

So I spent the 20th of May hungover on a train to Edinburgh then went on the lash with Francksuzy in the hibs club making me horribly hungover on the Saturday morning!

Don't blame me :tee hee: :thumbsup: It was a great night, meeting yourself, the Groningen guys in Robbies, fellow St. Pat's members, .net and Bounce posters and then that random The Rangers fan I knew. He bet me £20 they'd win and surprise, surprise, he's never paid up :rolleyes::na na::flag:

I was a wee bit 'tired' the next day but that helped with the nerves and all I can say is that it was, and remains, the best day of my life :agree: :not worth

Twiglet
20-05-2017, 05:12 PM
I was working. Had to change a password which at my work has loads of rules about length and characters. In the end I changed it to what basically stood for "Scottish Cup winners 2016 Hibs/HFC" in a coded way. Decided to be brave and believe that on Monday morning I wouldn't have to change it or be stuck with it for 3 months feeling rotten every time I logged in.
Early night as I was driving to Glasgow so I would be refreshed to drive. A bit too nervous to sleep properly though as I was afraid I would sleep in.

Mikers110
20-05-2017, 05:25 PM
Had suffered to many cup final disappointments since 1969, that by the time last year came around I slept like a babe the night before. I'd seen us hammered 6-1; lost out after the second replay to the now defunct other arse cheek; thumped by our biggest rivals, not to mention all the other semi finals and league cup final defeats that I had to put up with as well. At my age the night before a cup final is a breeze now!!

Haymaker
20-05-2017, 05:56 PM
Don't blame me :tee hee: :thumbsup: It was a great night, meeting yourself, the Groningen guys in Robbies, fellow St. Pat's members, .net and Bounce posters and then that random The Rangers fan I knew. He bet me £20 they'd win and surprise, surprise, he's never paid up :rolleyes::na na::flag:

I was a wee bit 'tired' the next day but that helped with the nerves and all I can say is that it was, and remains, the best day of my life :agree: :not worth

Oh Christ, the Groningen boys! I kept bumping into them all weekend!

B.H.F.C
20-05-2017, 05:56 PM
Remember the Friday well. Had a couple of pints and watched Dalkeith Thistle v Bo'Ness. Got up the road and had a couple of beers on my own in the house. Didn't even have the TV on, just sat quietly. Above all I remember just feeling different to I had before any other cup final. I knew it was the best chance we were going to get of winning the thing. And I also felt, at the time, that there wasn't going to be another chance like it in the relatively near future.

Waxy
20-05-2017, 06:04 PM
Just picked up my phone and the time was 19.02.freaky in a nice way.

bubblesmorrison
20-05-2017, 06:08 PM
I flew in from new york. Nearly missed the plane as I meet a few new friends at the airport and had a few drinks.

Borderhibbie76
20-05-2017, 06:24 PM
Filling up again reading this...all week after the friday night horror at Falkirk i just couldnt get excited about the Final...i felt sure ut would be another disappointment. woke up not nervous in the slghtest in the Sat morning...little did I know it was about to be the best weekend of my life :)

Bristolhibby
20-05-2017, 06:39 PM
Had a wedding in Sussex the next day. Like others I was still gutted at the playoffs.

Was also relaxed as it was my wife's best mates wedding so had made peace with not being at the game.

Had convinced myself that it would just be another disappointment.

Slept easy that night.

The 2012 Final, that was a different story. Was a bag of nerves. 2013 I was at a massive drumb and base festival in Newquay on a stag do. Flew to Edinburgh the next day. Cup Final was on a Sunday for some reason that year. Was convincrd we would win 1-0 with Sparky scoring.

J

Famous Fiver
20-05-2017, 08:43 PM
Getting quite emotional here.

One year ago tonight turning in I had just no idea that the following day was going to change my life forever. If you had told me that within 24 hours I would be crying like a baby, staring at the heavens, and singing 'Thank you, thank you' I would have had you certified.

Flag is still hanging in the porch so I am reminded of that day every time I enter or leave the house.

Calm before the storm doesn't even come close.

Northernhibee
20-05-2017, 08:46 PM
My dad had just come out of hospital a few days before after being misdiagnosed by NHS 24 and a GP. He'd been in a very bad way all of a fortnight before.

Enjoyed the evening back at my folks before getting ready to take the train down to Glasgow the following day, a bit gutted he wasn't well enough to make it but grateful I was able to get a train back to Dundee to watch the highlights and spend the evening of the 21st of May with him.

We're looking forward to attending games back in the top flight again next season :flag:

zlatan
20-05-2017, 09:04 PM
No romantic tales for me. After the league cup and the play off I wasn't the least bit excited or nervous. I was just completely....meh.

SteveHFC
20-05-2017, 09:12 PM
Remember the Friday well. Had a couple of pints and watched Dalkeith Thistle v Bo'Ness. Got up the road and had a couple of beers on my own in the house. Didn't even have the TV on, just sat quietly. Above all I remember just feeling different to I had before any other cup final. I knew it was the best chance we were going to get of winning the thing. And I also felt, at the time, that there wasn't going to be another chance like it in the relatively near future.

Went to the Dalkeith-Bo'ness game with a few mates and then went back to my mates flat for a few drinks.

Northernhibee
20-05-2017, 09:14 PM
Went to the Dalkeith-Bo'ness game with a few mates and then went back to my mates flat for a few drinks.

With Sparky or Henderson? :hyper

SteveHFC
20-05-2017, 09:37 PM
With Sparky or Henderson? :hyper

:hyper

Pretty Boy
20-05-2017, 10:00 PM
An hour to go until the anniversary of the best day of my life.

DaveSo
20-05-2017, 10:03 PM
Can't really remember what I did during the Friday daytime but no doubt it was a mixture of dread and excitement about what could happen.
Do remember having a few drinks later on Friday night in the house watching Iggy Pop on the Jools Holland show. As he strutted about that studio like he owned the place singing Lust for Life my mind joined up the dots Lust for Life = Trainspotting = Leith = Hibs and I thought this could be a sign it could be our time.
And the rest of that weekend was ours. Time of our lives !

weecounty hibby
20-05-2017, 10:47 PM
It was a different cup final eve for me than any of the others I've had. Was very calm, slept well and no nerves. I was 100% convinced we were going to win it the minute der Hun knocked out Celtic. Only had 2 pints before the game as well as I wanted to remember every single second of it as I just knew we were winning it. Best day of my life and unlikely to be beaten unless we win the top division.

jacomo
20-05-2017, 11:04 PM
My dad had just come out of hospital a few days before after being misdiagnosed by NHS 24 and a GP. He'd been in a very bad way all of a fortnight before.

Enjoyed the evening back at my folks before getting ready to take the train down to Glasgow the following day, a bit gutted he wasn't well enough to make it but grateful I was able to get a train back to Dundee to watch the highlights and spend the evening of the 21st of May with him.

We're looking forward to attending games back in the top flight again next season :flag:

Love this.

Haymaker
20-05-2017, 11:12 PM
Happy 21st of May everyone

David_D
20-05-2017, 11:26 PM
I spent the day with my 3 day old son. I very nearly never went to the final. My partner had to tell me to go. So glad she did.

Ilovehibs
20-05-2017, 11:41 PM
I remember our supporters' bus- everyone asking each other, " well, is this the day we do it?" and the more mature members saying " well it has to happen some day doesn't it."
I remember thinking "please let that be today" but wasn't confident after play offs.

Rest is now glorious history. Loved every second of it and the days, weeks, months that followed.

A special day with a special club.

Thank you thank you thank you.

Nakedmanoncrack
20-05-2017, 11:51 PM
The defeat at Falkirk, confirming another abject failure to get promoted was the lowest point of my time watching Hibs. It took a few days, but I gradually got up for it, it was clearly the most winnable SC final of my lifetime (born 70, been at all since 79), and devastated though I was I could see that. I remember a lack of usual clamour for tickets, I offered tickets to a few people who had been at league Cup final shortly before - they weren't interested. So build up seemed very low key, recall discussing this in queue to get in Beechwood pre match and all agreed, not the usual buzz. I certainly wasn't over confident, but thought we had a great chance, all the other finals I'd been to (other than 79 when I was too young to know better) I'd dreamed but never really believed.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-05-2017, 05:26 AM
My old man gave me a lift down to ER to collect my ticket for the game, he decided after The LC Final that he was finished with Hampden. I remember telling him it wouldnae be the same if we won it and he wasn't there, a decision he tells me he regrets on an almost daily basis. Once we got the monkey off our back he decided to go to this seasons semi, what a Jonah! :-)

Argylehibby
21-05-2017, 06:55 AM
Happy 21st folks. How different do I feel now to 12 months ago at this time!!

green day
21-05-2017, 06:58 AM
I live near where Canon Hannan is buried. I popped in before picking up my dad, said a wee prayer and asked him to make it right for us.

Dunno why I didn't try that all the other times??????

JeMeSouviens
21-05-2017, 09:53 AM
I was looking forward to it like a trip to the dentist's.

Funny old world.

s.a.m
21-05-2017, 10:16 AM
I was looking forward to it like a trip to the dentist's.

Funny old world.

Exactly how I felt.

danhibees1875
21-05-2017, 10:24 AM
About this time last year I made the most accurate weather forecast on the "weather" thread, could have got a job at the met office:

"Early showers of 19th century bigotry, pushed out by a warm wave of reality coming from the East leaving sunshine on Leith from 5pm through the night"

theonlywayisup
21-05-2017, 11:58 AM
On the way out of Hampden, I was thinking that normally when I record a game there's usually parts of the game I fast forward as the other team is usually dominating us and it's uncomfortable viewing.

However, I kept thinking how easy was that. Yes they scored two but they were poor.

Heisenberg
21-05-2017, 12:02 PM
The feeling when SDG's goal went in and the final whistle will never be beaten. Simply unbelievable. Me and the family I went to the game with travelled home in a state of utter shock and euphoria, via the chippy, and had a quiet night of re watching the game and highlights with a few drinks. Just couldn't really take in that Hibs had actually done it. Didn't properly party till the Sunday but oh what a party it was. Incredible weekend.