PDA

View Full Version : Is there a band you didn't originally GET but now think they're half decent

Mr Grieves
20-05-2017, 02:09 AM
I listen to 6 music at work (playlists decided by the man), I'm really enjoying alt-j's new stuff. I thought their last album was a bit **** beacause of the guys vocals, but it's really growing on me. They can write a tune.

Hiber-nation
20-05-2017, 07:26 AM
Loads of them. Belle & Sebastian the first that come to mind. Used to think they were a silly bunch of weegie art students that deliberately took ages to change their instruments between songs to prove how shambolic they were but I saw the light eventually.

Alfiembra
20-05-2017, 07:29 AM
Not so recent but I could not listen to the Smiths and Morrisey in their heyday, but now Morrisey more so I'm starting to like some of his later stuff.

snooky
20-05-2017, 07:52 AM
I listen to 6 music at work (playlists decided by the man), I'm really enjoying alt-j's new stuff. I thought their last album was a bit **** beacause of the guys vocals, but it's really growing on me. They can write a tune.

The Beatles. Didn't like Love Me Do.

GreenLake
20-05-2017, 08:49 AM
The Stones and the Who. Always liked but now it's much more after finally seeing them live on stage.

matty_f
20-05-2017, 11:03 AM
Muse and Embrace are two that spring to mind.

Belle and Sebastian are ace, by the way.

Pete
20-05-2017, 02:31 PM
Not so recent but I could not listen to the Smiths and Morrisey in their heyday, but now Morrisey more so I'm starting to like some of his later stuff.

Same for me with the Smiths and I'll chuck Prince in there too.

Big one for me is Queen. Not so much their music but Freddie Mercury. I always used to think he was just an annoying, weird looking guy but looking back you realise what a stage presence, voice and musical talent he had.

DrSpaceMonkey
20-05-2017, 03:20 PM
Radiohead, couldn't stand them growing up but now listen to them quite regularly

Hibrandenburg
20-05-2017, 03:35 PM
Abba.

Scouse Hibee
20-05-2017, 05:34 PM
Rod Stewart

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-05-2017, 05:51 PM
It took me a few years to take a liking to Oasis.

Hiber-nation
20-05-2017, 07:56 PM
It took me a few years to take a liking to Oasis.

I hardly listed to a thing they did after Be Here Now as I assumed they were finished but caught up with their other albums a couple of years ago. If you wade through the dross there are some cracking songs in there.

matty_f
21-05-2017, 12:18 AM
Radiohead, couldn't stand them growing up but now listen to them quite regularly

I loved Radiohead then not so much around Kid A, but I reckon there about my favorite band these days. I love Kid A now as well.

matty_f
21-05-2017, 12:20 AM
I hardly listed to a thing they did after Be Here Now as I assumed they were finished but caught up with their other albums a couple of years ago. If you wade through the dross there are some cracking songs in there.

Same here, it was probably Noel bringing out new stuff with High Flying Birds that made me revisit Oasis' later stuff. Never hit the heights of their earlier stuff but some good songs nonetheless.

Pete
21-05-2017, 06:21 AM
After listening and watching their new stuff for the first time I'll have to say Gorillaz.

I used to think it was all a bit gimmicky when they first appeared but it's only now I'm starting to appreciate their creativity.

Smartie
21-05-2017, 08:47 AM
It took me a long time to understand David Bowie.

I think it was because when I was really wee he was releasing stuff like Let's Dance (which I'm still not mad on tbh) and I thought that was all he was about.

Then I finally got into his earlier stuff, then everything else.

And now I love his music.

Pretty Boy
21-05-2017, 09:34 AM
After listening and watching their new stuff for the first time I'll have to say Gorillaz.

I used to think it was all a bit gimmicky when they first appeared but it's only now I'm starting to appreciate their creativity.

Would agree with this. Never really liked them at first but went back to the a couple of years ago and they are a great band.

I've always respected Damon Albarn. It would have been easy to spend a decade or so just churning out a Blur album every 2 years and making money but he's always looking to do something different and try new things and quite often it works.

easty
21-05-2017, 09:46 AM
Saw the Enemy at the Corn Exchange, think they were supporting the Fratellis. It was before their 1st album came out, I thought they were absolute horse ****. Really got into them 6 months later though.

WeeRussell
23-05-2017, 07:53 AM
Kings of Leon

YehButNoBut
23-05-2017, 12:19 PM
Kings of Leon

Was the other way round for me, first 3 albums

were great (especially first 2) but they were

crap after that.

YehButNoBut
23-05-2017, 12:22 PM
Rammstein for me didn't get them at all for the

first few albums now they're my favourite band.

easty
23-05-2017, 12:55 PM

crap after that.

Sort of the same for me. I loved the first 2, 3rd one was good enough, next three was very average, but the new album is pretty good.

Pretty Boy
23-05-2017, 05:18 PM

crap after that.

Agree with that. 1st 2 albums especially were brilliant. I saw them live in Aberdeen just after the 3rd album and you could see the way they were headed, although it was still a decent album. The 4th album was just awful, Sex is on Fire is just horrendous

In fairness their new album is a step back in the right direction.

BroxburnHibee
23-05-2017, 06:44 PM
Felt the same about The Smiths. Hated them when I was young but now love hearing Morrissey's haunting melodic vocals now.

heretoday
28-05-2017, 07:53 PM
The Fall. I always thought Mark E Smith was just a stroppy Mancs prat but he's written some great songs.

And some rubbish too but no one's perfect.

WeeRussell
30-05-2017, 11:53 AM

crap after that.

Yeah I didn't really clarify my position - when I mean I didn't get into them at first, I mean I didn't get into ANY of their stuff (including the early ones) for years. Now I like some of their stuff old and new, and think they've a few real bangers (including more recent stuff too)

Gatecrasher
30-05-2017, 12:13 PM
Paramore, I liked the type of music but not them, I don't know what changed but I like them now.

Jim44
30-05-2017, 01:17 PM
Gerry Rafferty. I used to think that Baker Street was a one off and didn't really take interest in him. It was only when he died that I took any interest and now have him well in my top ten best evers.

SteveHFC
30-05-2017, 02:18 PM
Paramore, I liked the type of music but not them, I don't know what changed but I like them now.

Only started to listen to them again recently and like them more than i did 9 years ago.

Their new album is pretty good.

Gatecrasher
30-05-2017, 03:27 PM
Only started to listen to them again recently and like them more than i did 9 years ago.

Their new album is pretty good.

I can't stop listening to Hard Times for some reason.

WeeRussell
31-05-2017, 11:25 AM
The Arctic Monkeys in fact!

Never got them at all when they were first around (High school for me), and was only recently that I got very into them. Even more so with their new stuff after watching Peaky Blinders!

Hiber-nation
31-05-2017, 12:24 PM
They are a bit obscure but The Posies passed me by as I actually thought they were someone else ....what a great band, especially the Dear 23 album.

The Green Goblin
09-06-2017, 04:03 PM
Loads of them. Belle & Sebastian the first that come to mind. Used to think they were a silly bunch of weegie art students that deliberately took ages to change their instruments between songs to prove how shambolic they were but I saw the light eventually.

Muse and Embrace are two that spring to mind.

Belle and Sebastian are ace, by the way.

:aok::wink:

ColinNish
10-06-2017, 06:27 AM
Queen

snooky
13-06-2017, 08:20 PM
Not a band, but a singer/composer. I really didn't take to Michael Marra on first hearing, however, he is now one of my all time greats. Alas, he died in 2012.

WhileTheChief..
05-07-2017, 07:44 PM
Coldplay. Didn't pay any attention to them until last year. Love a lot of their stuff now thanks to YouTube!

Godsahibby
05-07-2017, 08:07 PM
Glasvegas

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
05-07-2017, 09:13 PM

Agree about belle and sebastian, one of my favourite bands - they do take a bit of getting though, eaxh song is like a wee story.

ian cruise
06-07-2017, 12:01 PM
Pulp. I did like them in my teens but it is only when I was in my thirties that 8 would say I "got" them. Listening to them now the lyrics are a lot stronger and resonate a lot more with me than they did when I was a youngster.

Gatecrasher
06-07-2017, 06:52 PM
My chemical Romance, wasnt sure what to make of them. A couple of their songs are up there with my favourites.

Mr White
06-07-2017, 07:10 PM
Pulp. I did like them in my teens but it is only when I was in my thirties that 8 would say I "got" them. Listening to them now the lyrics are a lot stronger and resonate a lot more with me than they did when I was a youngster.

Similar to me with Pulp. Something Changed is one of my favourite tunes from the 90s now but I didn't think that much of it at the time. I thought they were alright but looking back there was far more depth to them, particularly JC's lyrics than a lot of the other britpop bands that they were (probably unfairly) lumped in with.

matty_f
07-07-2017, 12:00 AM
Similar to me with Pulp. Something Changed is one of my favourite tunes from the 90s now but I didn't think that much of it at the time. I thought they were alright but looking back there was far more depth to them, particularly JC's lyrics than a lot of the other britpop bands that they were (probably unfairly) lumped in with.

Pulp are/were amazing. One of the best bands of that era.

WeeRussell
07-07-2017, 11:27 AM
Pulp are/were amazing. One of the best bands of that era.

Remember listening to "underwear" and "Like a friend" for the first time as a student. Bit of issue with the bird at the time and sort of thinking.. ach well, those songs will do me fine if I don't get where I want with her :greengrin

Brilliant band.