PDA

View Full Version : Free entry & 81 turn up!

Renfrew_Hibby
17-05-2017, 08:54 AM
Whatever you think of Falkirk and Houston or if you feel Dundee Utd should stay down a little longer like we did... Put it to one side and cheer them on when which ever one plays Hamilton.
Their most important game of the season, a must win, free to enter and how many accies turn up? 81. Shocking!
I know it was midweek and it was Dingwall but c'mon!

Diclonius
17-05-2017, 08:57 AM
Accies' "die-hard" support is probably about 100-150 and the only ones out of them that didn't turn up would have had work commitments. The rest of the natives will be watching their favourite Glasgow team on TV today.

They're a Championship team punching above their weight - we only have ourselves to blame. :grr:

hibbysam
17-05-2017, 09:14 AM
Whatever you think of Falkirk and Houston or if you feel Dundee Utd should stay down a little longer like we did... Put it to one side and cheer them on when which ever one plays Hamilton.
Their most important game of the season, a must win, free to enter and how many accies turn up? 81. Shocking!

Free entry to the game but how much would it cost them for a half day, for the bus/car up, to return in the early hours this morning, with work today, when they were already struggling to claw back the deficit after the weekend, and the further cost with the inevitible play off's coming up.. Hardly shocking.

WhileTheChief..
17-05-2017, 09:17 AM
How many Ross Co fans went? Big turn out due to free entry?

I keep saying it, but price has hee-haw to do with attendances.

Take the bottom six as it is just now. You could make every one of their home games free admission next season and their crowds would barely increase other than maybe some more away fans.

Sir David Gray
17-05-2017, 09:20 AM
Hamilton are a club that's not much bigger than the likes of Queen of the South. It could be argued than Queen of the South are actually bigger.

I'm not too surprised. They've done well to get to where they are but they are a very small team.

Baldy Foghorn
17-05-2017, 09:22 AM
We only took a couple of hundred up to Dingwall for a midweek game.

Bristolhibby
17-05-2017, 09:39 AM
We only took a couple of hundred up to Dingwall for a midweek game.

Definitely want to get to a game in Dingwall next season.

Already hatched a plan, there's an early morning flight from Bristol to Inverness. Train to Dingwall, stay the night in Inverness then fly back mid morning on the Sunday.

Just need the fixtures to come out. Oh, and want to do this day early September. Don't fancy it in January in the sleet.

J

mim
17-05-2017, 09:43 AM

Already hatched a plan, there's an early morning flight from Bristol to Inverness. Train to Dingwall, stay the night in Inverness then fly back mid morning on the Sunday.

Just need the fixtures to come out. Oh, and want to do this day early September. Don't fancy it in January in the sleet.

J

Another fair weather fan :na na:

Seriously, like your plan a lot :thumbsup:

NAE NOOKIE
17-05-2017, 09:55 AM

J

It might be the toughest away venue to travel to, but IMO one of the best. We stayed overnight and went home the day after ... that enables you to start at the end of the high street at about 4pm and drink your way towards the ground which is at the other end of it ... after the game drink your way back and pick up a Chinese at the end of the high street :greengrin

tartanhibee
17-05-2017, 09:59 AM
Looking forward to Dingwall again. Don't mind the drive up as you know there is a haggis pie waiting.

NAE NOOKIE
17-05-2017, 10:05 AM
Hamilton's lack of support is so obvious its hardly worth discussing any more ...... I would rather give my respect to the few hardy souls who stick with their local club and to the 81 who followed them up to Dingwall on a Tuesday night, free entry or not ... true football fans.

They deserve to have their club survive in the premier league ..... the town of Hamilton does not :bitchy:

Since90+2
17-05-2017, 10:11 AM
You have to respect the few fans that follow them up and down the country but the reality is they bring little to the top league. If we end up with Dundee United (or to a lesser extent Falkirk) in their place then it would be better for Scottish football IMO.

Bristolhibby
17-05-2017, 10:13 AM
You have to respect the few fans that follow them up and down the country but the reality is they bring little to the top league. If we end up with Dundee United (or to a lesser extent Falkirk) in their place then it would be better for Scottish football IMO.

This. Plus they relegated us. Call me petty, but BURN Accies, BURN!

J

Renfrew_Hibby
17-05-2017, 10:13 AM
Attendance was nearly 5,000 so as a one off was probably a decent exercise for Ross County as it might get a few willing to part with some cash and come back for more.
Regards Hamilton, I'm not dissing the 81, proper football fans. Its the club, brings nothing to the table.

tamig
17-05-2017, 10:36 AM
Hamilton are a club that's not much bigger than the likes of Queen of the South. It could be argued than Queen of the South are actually bigger.

I'm not too surprised. They've done well to get to where they are but they are a very small team.

I don't think there is any question that Queens are a bigger club than Hamilton. No doubt whatsoever.

Peevemor
17-05-2017, 10:44 AM
I remember a match against Dundee in the 80s that was stopped early on because of fog. Hibs didn't have any vouchers to give to the fans, so the rearranged match was free. The crowd was around 8k with hibs winning 3-0.

Ozyhibby
17-05-2017, 10:56 AM
That's the problem with the 16 team league. Our best supported 16 teams would be a great league but clubs a lot smaller than Hamilton would be able to get in the top 16. When your trying to market the game for TV and Sponsors that makes it very difficult.
I prefer the the Australian way of having the top teams in the top league and no relegation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael
17-05-2017, 11:05 AM
That's the problem with the 16 team league. Our best supported 16 teams would be a great league but clubs a lot smaller than Hamilton would be able to get in the top 16. When your trying to market the game for TV and Sponsors that makes it very difficult.
I prefer the the Australian way of having the top teams in the top league and no relegation.

Promotion/Relegation is a must IMO.

I'd like an 18 team league. I don't really see what's wrong with smaller clubs being part of it if they've earned the right to play there. If the TV company doesn't like it then tough - it would lead to a more interesting and competitive league.

hibbysam
17-05-2017, 11:06 AM

Utter tosh. Would be the worst idea I've heard. No relegation, so no progression for any club. If your big enough then you should be run well enough to get the right people/players in to challenge at the top. If you don't run it properly then you don't deserve to be in the top league. If we start building a top league based on attendances we would be as well ending the game as a whole up here.

stuart-farquhar
17-05-2017, 11:14 AM
I remember a match against Dundee in the 80s that was stopped early on because of fog. Hibs didn't have any vouchers to give to the fans, so the rearranged match was free. The crowd was around 8k with hibs winning 3-0.

yip it was 9000

WeeRussell
17-05-2017, 11:31 AM
No thanks. F*** Falkirk and Houston. That's more important to me than bothering about how many fans travelled to Dingwall to see Hamilton.

Springbank
17-05-2017, 11:38 AM
Free entry to the game but how much would it cost them for a half day, for the bus/car up, to return in the early hours this morning, with work today, when they were already struggling to claw back the deficit after the weekend, and the further cost with the inevitible play off's coming up.. Hardly shocking.

No it is shocking

A top flight team in a relatively small country (it's hardly crossing the Great Plains to get to Dingwall) and they got 81 fans

Put it differently, there's a Hibs Legends vs leith athletic Legends game on leith links this Friday, my laddie is playing in it, and it will get a helluva lot more people than 81 fans at it.

Michael
17-05-2017, 11:47 AM
Could be worse: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20700529

eezyrider
17-05-2017, 12:19 PM
Could be worse: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20700529

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20700529

That's a great story - I'd never heard it before.

Thanks for posting that.

EZ

The Pointer
17-05-2017, 12:29 PM

Just need the fixtures to come out. Oh, and want to do this
day early September. Don't fancy it in January in the sleet.

J

Well done. I went up to the Cup game in 2013 which is a four hour drive. Dumped the car at the digs in Inverness and got the train to Dingwall, had a few pints then mid-evening train back to Snecky. Really enjoyed it.

hibbysam
17-05-2017, 12:30 PM
No it is shocking

A top flight team in a relatively small country (it's hardly crossing the Great Plains to get to Dingwall) and they got 81 fans

Put it differently, there's a Hibs Legends vs leith athletic Legends game on leith links this Friday, my laddie is playing in it, and it will get a helluva lot more people than 81 fans at it.

A local charity match, the same weekend as the celebrations for 1 year on, in memory of a well loved young man who tragically lost his life, in comparison to a bottom of the table clash 200 miles away, on a weeknight, where no public travel will get you home. 3 and a half/4 hour drive, meaning people would have to get a half day at work, and then get back in the early hours, with work the next day.

Bostonhibby
17-05-2017, 12:42 PM

J
Similar plan being hatched. It's the only top flight ground in Scotland I haven't been to.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

iwasthere1972
17-05-2017, 12:43 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20700529

That's a great story - I'd never heard it before.

Thanks for posting that.

EZ

Unbelievable. Well done that man. Shame he did nae take his dug along with him.

GreenNWhiteArmy
17-05-2017, 12:52 PM
I think any match midweek that involves travel time of 2+ hours then any fan that goes should be commended (for many of the reasons given by others). I remember going up there for the cup replay. i took a half day that day, got home at about 2am and started work at 6am so fair play to the 81.

Let's not get high and mighty about attendances because we've done well this season and look to be going in to next at a record high. we had a whopping 6500 at a midweek home game against Dumbarton in April 2016 when we were fighting for 2nd place

green&left
17-05-2017, 02:38 PM

No it is shocking

You's obviously weren't at the midweek game away to Ross County the season we got relegated. Similar to Hamilton it was our 2nd last game of the season, fighting for our life and we took about 200 fans up. Granted no free tickets but pretty sure Hibs paid for the HSA buses that made the trip that evening...

Hibs fans have some cheek slagging anyones travelling support for those games as anything passed Dundee and our support is generally utter pish.

PS in saying that i'm still wanting hamilton to GTF

emerald green
17-05-2017, 05:30 PM

J

It wasn't Hamilton Accies who relegated Hibs mate. They just put the final nail in the coffin.

Hermit Crab
17-05-2017, 05:36 PM

J

Nah, we relegated ourselves by consistently being pish for seasons and appointing woeful managers.

Bristolhibby
17-05-2017, 05:41 PM
I agree lads, I did say I am being petty. Just like it took me a while to forgive Dundee Utd back in 1998.

J

Keith_M
17-05-2017, 05:46 PM

I keep saying it, but price has hee-haw to do with attendances....

Hibs had a Saturday match abandoned in the early 80s due to bad weather. There was a crowd of 6,000 (normal fare for the time)

To save the bother of handing out tickets, the re-arranged midweek game was free to enter. There was an estimated attendance of 12,000 at that game

iwasthere1972
17-05-2017, 05:56 PM
You's obviously weren't at the midweek game away to Ross County the season we got relegated. Similar to Hamilton it was our 2nd last game of the season, fighting for our life and we took about 200 fans up. Granted no free tickets but pretty sure Hibs paid for the HSA buses that made the trip that evening...

Hibs fans have some cheek slagging anyones travelling support for those games as anything passed Dundee and our support is generally utter pish.

PS in saying that i'm still wanting hamilton to GTF

Pretty sure that there was a lot more than 200 Hibs supporters there that night. It was the first time I made the trip and you might be right that the bus travel was free for our supporters. Went to work at 8am not knowing if I would be successful in getting
a seat on a bus. In between doing some work I was busy checking Hibs.net to see if there was a spare seat on any buses. It wasn't until about midday that I managed to get a seat on a bus from Easter Road leaving at 2.15pm. Rushed home and got changed and just made it on time. Arrived just outside Dingwall about 6.30pm and we all got off the bus for a very welcome stretch of the legs and a couple of pints. Obviously lost 1-0 with another woeful performance and left Dingwall at 10pm. Arrived at the West End of Edinburgh at 2am and decided to walk home. Got as far as South Clerk Street, about 20 mins walk from home, but saw a taxi so decided to travel the short distance home in style. By that time it was almost 3am. Set the alarm for 6.30am for work but thought bugger it I've got some holidays to take so phoned in and had the day off.

So credit to anyone who does that journey during midweek. The weekend no problem.

WhileTheChief..
17-05-2017, 06:29 PM
Hibs had a Saturday match abandoned in the early 80s due to bad weather. There was a crowd of 6,000 (normal fare for the time)

To save the bother of handing out tickets, the re-arranged midweek game was free to enter. There was an estimated attendance of 12,000 at that game

30 years ago!

The worlds moved on a bit.