PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Wilson

bill_reed
16-05-2017, 09:07 AM
Kelvin Wilson, the 31-year-old defender who played under Hibernian head coach Neil Lennon at Celtic and is out of contract this summer with relegated Rotherham United, has revealed he has held talks with the Scottish Championship winners.

Johnny_Leith
16-05-2017, 09:10 AM
Touching base in case we don't get Ambrose I'd imagine.

Would think Fontaine is away. Hope not, love the big man!

gringojoe
16-05-2017, 09:25 AM
https://youtu.be/Ao5Kq0hJwzY

looks older than 31

Lancs Harp
16-05-2017, 09:28 AM

looks older than 31

Aye but he would be alright with a good pre season behind him. :wink:

He would certainly have been a decent signing a season or two ago but I think he hardly got any game time last season in a seriously struggling Rotherham side. Did he pick up an injury or something?

Notched up a decent number of appearances for Celtic and Forest.

bill_reed
16-05-2017, 09:31 AM
Touching base in case we don't get Ambrose I'd imagine.

Would think Fontaine is away. Hope not, love the big man!

Thought we had Ambrose till January... he needs to stay in Scotland for 5 more months to get his citizenship...

Keyser Sauzee
16-05-2017, 09:31 AM
I'd rather Fontaine signed on that Wilson tbh but I don't think fonts will.

oldbutdim
16-05-2017, 09:37 AM
He hardly sounds bursting to play for Hibs if the media report is accurate.

Let's hope Santa got him his ******* bike and he uses it to stay well away from Hibs.

Mideon
16-05-2017, 09:39 AM
Think Lennon needs to use his imagination more. Plus let's get strikers in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny_Leith
16-05-2017, 09:41 AM
Thought we had Ambrose till January... he needs to stay in Scotland for 5 more months to get his citizenship...

I'd imagine we made contact incase we couldn't get Efe. I'd be very surprised now if he signed (assuming EA is staying)

Hanlon
McGregor
Forster
Ambrose
Fontaine (maybe)
Porteous

Should be sufficient for the season

Lancs Harp
16-05-2017, 09:44 AM
I like Fonts but I think it might be time to move on. We should always be looking to move forward and improve where we can. Fonts has a great attitude and is as brave as a lion, but hes slow and has the turning cirlcle of the QE2 (that was a boat for our younger readers :greengrin) and isnt too cleverwith his passsing and general ball distribution. He's at a stage in his career where he will want game time and Im not sure hes going to get much with us anymore with Hanlon, DazM, Effe on short term and Forster all ahead of him IMO in the pecking order. I would rather see someone who can make a serious challenge for a berth in the back line, especially when Effe goes if its true he's only here until January.

lord bunberry
16-05-2017, 09:45 AM
We seem to be linked with every ex Celtic player going just now. They're not all going to sign and tbh I'm not sure we need Wilson.

pacoluna
16-05-2017, 09:59 AM
Thought he left celtic because he was home sick?

therealgavmac
16-05-2017, 10:05 AM
He hardly sounds bursting to play for Hibs if the media report is accurate.

Let's hope Santa got him his ******* bike and he uses it to stay well away from Hibs.

:faf:
Love that song

NAE NOOKIE
16-05-2017, 10:41 AM
This is a guy who doesn't appear to have been able to get a game in the back 4 of a club that shipped 98 goals last season, albeit in a 46 game campaign.

I'm not too concerned at the moment because most of this stuff is just media rumour, but I hope we aren't going to only be looking at aged Celtic and ex Celtic players ...... Its only natural that because of who our manager is we will be linked with any player with Celtic links who becomes available, but I would like to see a few rumours linking us with other folk too.

If half of the players we have been linked to so far, not forgetting Danny Swanson, were to arrive at the club and McGinn and Cummings were to leave it would drive up the average age of the team to a level that would make me wonder if it was healthy for the club.

Marciano ........... 27 .... still young for a keeper
Gray ................. 29
McGregor ........... 31 ... 32 in August
Hanlon .............. 27
Wilson ............... 31
Ambrose ............ 28
Stevenson .......... 29
Swanson ............ 30
Commons........... 33 ..... 34 in August
Fyvie ................. 24
Stokes ............... 28 ..... 29 in July

The average age of the 10 outfield players in that team by the end of August would be 29 ...... If we were to keep Fontaine and add Mulgrew for example that wouldn't exactly drive the average age down either. I'm not suggesting a team with those players wouldn't be competitive, but where are the youngsters and where is the sell on value?

since90plustwo
16-05-2017, 10:46 AM
No thank you. Rather have hanlon, Mcgregor & effe. Forster & Porteous back up.

calumhibee1
16-05-2017, 10:58 AM
This is a guy who doesn't appear to have been able to get a game in the back 4 of a club that shipped 98 goals last season, albeit in a 46 game campaign.

I'm not too concerned at the moment because most of this stuff is just media rumour, but I hope we aren't going to only be looking at aged Celtic and ex Celtic players ...... Its only natural that because of who our manager is we will be linked with any player with Celtic links who becomes available, but I would like to see a few rumours linking us with other folk too.

If half of the players we have been linked to so far, not forgetting Danny Swanson, were to arrive at the club and McGinn and Cummings were to leave it would drive up the average age of the team to a level that would make me wonder if it was healthy for the club.

Hanlon .............. 27
Ambrose ............ 28
Stevenson .......... 29
Swanson ............ 30

The average age of the 10 outfield players in that team by the end of August would be 29 ...... If we were to keep Fontaine and add Mulgrew for example that wouldn't exactly drive the average age down either. I'm not suggesting a team with those players wouldn't be competitive, but where are the youngsters and where is the sell on value?

Let's keep in mind that what you've listed isn't a team, it has 6 defenders in it and you've also not included Cummings and McGinn who are our two prized assets and would drive the average age down quite a bit. Even then, the average is 28/29 as it stands with the team you've listed. It would be down to about 25 when you add McGinn and Cummings in. I don't see what's wrong with 28/29 being your average age, however it would likely be a good bit younger than that still when you actually put a team on the park that fits into a formation.

CapitalGreen
16-05-2017, 10:59 AM

Hanlon .............. 27
Ambrose ............ 28
Stevenson .......... 29
Swanson ............ 30

Surely you want the average age of your team to be in-line with the age footballers are considered to be at their peak?

Andy74
16-05-2017, 11:07 AM

Hanlon .............. 27
Ambrose ............ 28
Stevenson .......... 29
Swanson ............ 30

I thought the object was to win football matches? Age and sell on value are really not that relevant. Certainly in the era of free transfers.

Carheenlea
16-05-2017, 11:21 AM
I've not heard of him before and have no recollection of him playing for Celtic.

stantonhibby
16-05-2017, 11:37 AM
I've not heard of him before and have no recollection of him playing for Celtic.

His name is actually Kelvin if that helps !

NAE NOOKIE
16-05-2017, 11:37 AM
Let's keep in mind that what you've listed isn't a team, it has 6 defenders in it and you've also not included Cummings and McGinn who are our two prized assets and would drive the average age down quite a bit. Even then, the average is 28/29 as it stands with the team you've listed. It would be down to about 25 when you add McGinn and Cummings in. I don't see what's wrong with 28/29 being your average age, however it would likely be a good bit younger than that still when you actually put a team on the park that fits into a formation.

If you look at my post again mate you'll see that the scenario was based on Cummings and McGinn leaving the club and the average age of the outfield players listed ..... I'm aware that even if all these players were at the club they wouldn't all play at once, I was merely illustrating a point .... but even doing that, who are the young players waiting in the wings champing at the bit? To date Mr Lennon hasn't exactly seemed keen to give the youngsters much of a chance.

Scott Martin seems a real prospect, but has hardly had a chance even when we were struggling for midfielders. He gave Murray a run out against Raith Rovers, but that was a meaningless match ... would he have been brave enough to play him in a match with something at stake? ... I doubt it, I get the feeling he would have been more likely to stick Ambrose in midfield.

I also recall us having a problem at right back during the season and NL was more prepared to fit a round peg into a square hole than trust one of the youngsters. That hardly bodes well for the chances of the youngsters at the club ... time will tell I suppose.

Andy74
16-05-2017, 12:00 PM
If you look at my post again mate you'll see that the scenario was based on Cummings and McGinn leaving the club and the average age of the outfield players listed ..... I'm aware that even if all these players were at the club they wouldn't all play at once, I was merely illustrating a point .... but even doing that, who are the young players waiting in the wings champing at the bit? To date Mr Lennon hasn't exactly seemed keen to give the youngsters much of a chance.

Scott Martin seems a real prospect, but has hardly had a chance even when we were struggling for midfielders. He gave Murray a run out against Raith Rovers, but that was a meaningless match ... would he have been brave enough to play him in a match with something at stake? ... I doubt it, I get the feeling he would have been more likely to stick Ambrose in midfield.

I also recall us having a problem at right back during the season and NL was more prepared to fit a round peg into a square hole than trust one of the youngsters. That hardly bodes well for the chances of the youngsters at the club ... time will tell I suppose.

You still seem to think the object of the game is to play youngsters? They need to better than any other player we can afford. Playing youngsters isn't a goal in itself, winning games is.

KWJ
16-05-2017, 12:21 PM
You still seem to think the object of the game is to play youngsters? They need to better than any other player we can afford. Playing youngsters isn't a goal in itself, winning games is.

It's not quite as black and white as that though is it?

Youngsters need games to improve and loan moves aren't always the answer. Our "golden generation" were helped immensely by BW playing them after our safety was secured and they blossomed.

Fraser Murray looked a great player against Raith but he's not currently better than Danny Swanson, but he might be with 20-30 games under his belt.

Developing youngsters for the first team is definitely a goal and you can't do that without playing them. Some of them may not be good enough (Alex Harris), some may not do enough to attract larger clubs (Lewis Stevenson) and some will excel and bring in revenue that could be reinvested to improve the club further (Steven Fletcher).

NAE NOOKIE
16-05-2017, 12:24 PM

Yeh, but a young player only has 'promise' until you stick him in at the business end and find out if he can hack it with the big boys. I am not saying playing youngsters should be an end in itself, but like all clubs Hibs need to discover players who will have a decent sell on value and they will only achieve that value if they are allowed to show their talent in the first team.

Even Celtic give young players a chance and if we can add a load of experience to the team surely that would allow NL to give our younger players a run out in certain matches without the fabric of the team or its ability to win matches being compromised.

I would no more want to see Hibs field a team of 19 year olds than I want them to field a team of 30 year olds .... a balance is surely the optimum strategy.

JDHibs
16-05-2017, 12:34 PM
Ajax's average age for their league game at the weekend was something like 20-21...

Dont care what anyone says, dont matter the age, if they are good enough they are good enough.

Jack
16-05-2017, 12:36 PM

Hanlon .............. 27
Ambrose ............ 28
Stevenson .......... 29
Swanson ............ 30

I'm quite happy to see our average age be a bit higher that it would normally be in our first season back up and re-establishing ourselves. We've been away for too long. Too many players with not enough top league experience.

CapitalGreen
16-05-2017, 12:40 PM
Ajax's average age for their league game at the weekend was something like 20-21...

Dont care what anyone says, dont matter the age, if they are good enough they are good enough.

...and clearly our youngsters are not good enough (yet), hence they are not getting a game.

Do you think Hibs/Lennon would not pick a player who was the best player in his position in the squad due to age?

ekhibee
16-05-2017, 12:40 PM

looks older than 31
He sounds just like my father-in-law but he wasn't Australian.

KWJ
16-05-2017, 12:45 PM
...and clearly our youngsters are not good enough (yet), hence they are not getting a game.

Do you think Hibs/Lennon would not pick a player who was the best player in his position in the squad due to age?

What if he was potentially the best player in that position but not quite there yet as he hadn't experienced enough first team Premiership games?

CapitalGreen
16-05-2017, 12:52 PM
What if he was potentially the best player in that position but not quite there yet as he hadn't experienced enough first team Premiership games?

Then said player should take advantage of opportunities from off the bench and starts when the first choice is unavailable in order to improve their level and ultimately prove they are number 1.

GreenPJ
16-05-2017, 01:02 PM

Its surely a goal if you are investing in youth/development football? If you aren't going to get any return on investment either by means of sell on value or the ability to actually play in the first team then why bother investing in it (and we do)?

Andy74
16-05-2017, 01:06 PM
Its surely a goal if you are investing in youth/development football? If you aren't going to get any return on investment either by means of sell on value or the ability to actually play in the first team then why bother investing in it (and we do)?

It is part of the plan, yes, but they need to develop into being better players than we have. When they are ready to be the first pick then they will be.

My comment wasn't that we shouldn't have it, it's more that every time we are linked with a player, particularly an older one, the worry seems to be about which young players won't get a chance. We want to build the best team and squad that we can. If young players are ready to be part of that the great but it is not a goal in itself.

MWHIBBIES
16-05-2017, 01:07 PM
I like Fonts but I think it might be time to move on. We should always be looking to move forward and improve where we can. Fonts has a great attitude and is as brave as a lion, but hes slow and has the turning cirlcle of the QE2 (that was a boat for our younger readers :greengrin) and isnt too cleverwith his passsing and general ball distribution. He's at a stage in his career where he will want game time and Im not sure hes going to get much with us anymore with Hanlon, DazM, Effe on short term and Forster all ahead of him IMO in the pecking order. I would rather see someone who can make a serious challenge for a berth in the back line, especially when Effe goes if its true he's only here until January.Fonts is better on the ball than Forster and McGregor and is a much better player than Forster.

GreenPJ
16-05-2017, 03:58 PM
It is part of the plan, yes, but they need to develop into being better players than we have. When they are ready to be the first pick then they will be.

My comment wasn't that we shouldn't have it, it's more that every time we are linked with a player, particularly an older one, the worry seems to be about which young players won't get a chance. We want to build the best team and squad that we can. If young players are ready to be part of that the great but it is not a goal in itself.

Taking someone from the development squad is a risk but ultimately so is any transfer. The easy option or perceived least risk is going for the experienced pro but that isn't always the case. I personally would rather see Porteous on the bench and getting game time to see if he has what it takes than go for Wilson. We have McGregor, Hanlon, Forster, Fontaine (at the moment) and Ambrose (maybe) to help develop him, am not saying he would play week in week out but if you aren't even willing to give him a chance as a sub then what is the point in having that cost of a reserve/youth team.

erin go bragh
16-05-2017, 08:43 PM
Him and Ambrose were the ch's when Celtic beat Barca .
he was a solid defender.

Lancs Harp
16-05-2017, 08:45 PM
Fonts is better on the ball than Forster and McGregor and is a much better player than Forster.

Sorry MW just cant agree with that. We'll have to agree to disagree.

MacGruber
17-05-2017, 07:05 AM
Fonts is better on the ball than Forster and McGregor and is a much better player than Forster.

Yeah - totally agree
MacGregor a better defender, Hanlon best on the ball.

Since90+2
17-05-2017, 07:19 AM

Fontaine is horrendous on the ball. Constantly gives away possession.

CapitalGreen
17-05-2017, 07:25 AM

This. I really like Fonts but his distribution is awful.

MWHIBBIES
17-05-2017, 08:47 AM

No, hes not. There is a reason Fonts always plays on his prefered side and we dont play 3 at the back without him. Moves forward with the ball and passes it well.

Since90+2
17-05-2017, 09:00 AM
The reason Fontaine always plays on his preferred side is his right foot is non existent (which is a fairly common problem among left footers to be fair).

I like Fontaine , he is solid and dependable as well as being strong and decent in the air , but his distribution is woeful and likely the main reason he has been behind McGregor , Hanlon, Ambrose and Forster in the pecking order this season.

BoomtownHibees
17-05-2017, 09:01 AM
The reason Fontaine always plays on his preferred side is he right foot is non existent (which is a fairly common problem among left footers to be fair).

I like Fontaine , he is solid and dependable as well as being strong and decent in the air , but his distribution is woeful and likely the main reason he has been behind McGregor , Fontaine , Ambrose and Forster in the pecking order this season.

He's no been behind Forster tbf. Only when injured has Forster played instead of him.

And he's so good you named him twice 😉

Lancs Harp
17-05-2017, 09:06 AM
No, hes not. There is a reason Fonts always plays on his prefered side and we dont play 3 at the back without him. Moves forward with the ball and passes it well.

You apply any sort of pressure or pressing on Fonts and he just lumps it long. He's down the pecking order at the back now, like I said brave as a lion and a great attitude, good in the air and strong in the tackle but sorry ball distribution not good. Sorry MW :wink:

MWHIBBIES
17-05-2017, 09:06 AM
The reason Fontaine always plays on his preferred side is he right foot is non existent (which is a fairly common problem among left footers to be fair).

I like Fontaine , he is solid and dependable as well as being strong and decent in the air , but his distribution is woeful and likely the main reason he has been behind McGregor , Fontaine , Ambrose and Forster in the pecking order this season.There is no world in which Fonts is worse on the ball than Forster or behind him in the pecking order.

MWHIBBIES
17-05-2017, 09:09 AM
You apply any sort of pressure or pressing on Fonts and he just lumps it long. He's down the pecking order at the back now, like I said brave as a lion and a great attitude, good in the air and strong in the tackle but sorry ball distribution not good. Sorry MW :wink:Is Hanlon down the pecking order as well? No...they are both injured.

Plenty of examples of Fonts being good with the ball, his first seasons especially

Since90+2
17-05-2017, 09:09 AM
With Hanlon injured for the Scottish cup game at Tynecastle Lennon picked McGregor and Forster at centre half with Fontaine on the bench (later coming on to replace the injured Forster). Arguably our most important game of the season up to that point and Lennon chose to play with Forster and two right footed centre halfs rather than start Fontaine.

Baldy Foghorn
17-05-2017, 09:11 AM
KW says he has spoken to NL. NL dismisses it as speculation, when usually candid.

Maybe a case of KW touting himself by trying to raise his profile?

MWHIBBIES
17-05-2017, 09:12 AM
With Hanlon injured for the Scottish cup game at Tynecastle Lennon picked McGregor and Forster at centre half with Fontaine on the bench (later coming on to replace the injured Forster). Arguably our most important game of the season up to that point and Lennon chose to play with Forster and two right footed centre halfs rather than start Fontaine.
Aye because the park was a tattie field and Fonts is a footballer, McGregor and Forster and blood and snotters types. Fonts was excellent when he came on and MOTM in the replay.

Lancs Harp
17-05-2017, 09:12 AM
Is Hanlon down the pecking order as well? No...they are both injured.

Plenty of examples of Fonts being good with the ball, his first seasons especially

Like I said we'll have to agree (first time for everything) to disagree. I dont quite see what Hanlon has to do with it? Blowing out someone elses candle doesnt make your candle burn brighter. Pointing out any deficency in another player doesnt make Fonts a better player does it? Im not the only to have remarked about Fonts and his ball distribution. Its all about opinions, im happy with mine as I guess you are with yours.

MWHIBBIES
17-05-2017, 09:18 AM
Like I said we'll have to agree (first time for everything) to disagree. I dont quite see what Hanlon has to do with it? Blowing out someone elses candle doesnt make your candle burn brighter. Pointing out any deficency in another player doesnt make Fonts a better player does it? Im not the only to have remarked about Fonts and his ball distribution. Its all about opinions, im happy with mine as I guess you are with yours.You put Fonts down the pecking order because he has been injured, I just assumed that logic applied to Hanlon as well?

Since90+2
17-05-2017, 09:20 AM
When fit Fontaine is at best 4th choice centre half. Regardless if whether he is injured or 100% fit he is down the pecking order.

MWHIBBIES
17-05-2017, 09:23 AM
When fit Fontaine is at best 4th choice centre half. Regardless if whether he is injured or 100% fit he is down the pecking order.He is 4th choice if Ambrose is involved, 3rd without him.

Lancs Harp
17-05-2017, 09:23 AM
You put Fonts down the pecking order because he has been injured, I just assumed that logic applied to Hanlon as well?

I dont think I mentioned Fonts being injured?

MWHIBBIES
17-05-2017, 09:33 AM
''Good footballer, very comfortable on the ball''.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovv62THs2P8

Fair enough if folk see it differently, suppose they prefer to focus on the poor things players do. I can think of many times Fonts has had very good distribution, joined in well with our midfield (especially in the 352) and played some lovely passes to Lewis that have led to chances down the left.

Brightside
17-05-2017, 09:47 AM
Sorry MW just cant agree with that. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Well he is a hugely better player than Forster.

KWJ
17-05-2017, 10:31 AM
Sounds like a depth table required!

On the ball
1. Hanlon
2. Fontaine
3. McGregor
4. Forster

Cat among the pigeons but that's my view.

Tackling
1. Hanlon
2. McGregor
3. Fontaine
4. Forster

Had Hanlon lower but my brain reminded me of plenty epic tackles.

Heading
1. Forster
2. Hanlon
3. McGregor
4. Fontaine

They are all great in the air IMO so I've done it in order of goal threat.

Positional
1. Hanlon
2. Fontaine
3. McGregor
4. Forster

Pace
1. Hanlon
2. Forster
3. McGregor
4. Fontaine

Weakest category for all.

Beard
1. Fontaine
2. Forster
3. McGregor
4. Hanlon

This is where Hanlon lets himself done, his beard work has been non existent throughout his career.

Forster comes over weakest but still can improve although he'll be 24 soon. Rare for young players to have the physicality he had when he broke through.

Full season of Hibs fans Hanlon and McGregor at CH excites me. And with 11 year Hibee Lewis Stevenson on one side and Sir DG on the other we're certainly not lacking in heart.

we are hibs
17-05-2017, 10:51 AM

This just isn't true at all. I like Fontaine and think he's a reliable defender but I think even he'd admit that when he has the ball at his feet he isn't great with it. Ambrose and Hanlon are our two best passers of the ball in the middle of defence.

eastmainsmsh
17-05-2017, 10:55 AM
If anything in this Wilson would be a cracking addition no nonsense centre half and would be good in the big games

Nakedmanoncrack
17-05-2017, 01:56 PM
Him and Ambrose were the ch's when Celtic beat Barca .
he was a solid defender.

Fair enough, but likewise I've honestly never heard of him.

supermcginn
17-05-2017, 02:17 PM

On the ball
1. Hanlon
2. Fontaine
3. McGregor
4. Forster

Tackling
1. Hanlon
2. McGregor
3. Fontaine
4. Forster

Heading
1. Forster
2. Hanlon
3. McGregor
4. Fontaine

Positional
1. Hanlon
2. Fontaine
3. McGregor
4. Forster

Pace
1. Hanlon
2. Forster
3. McGregor
4. Fontaine

Beard
1. Fontaine
2. Forster
3. McGregor
4. Hanlon

This is where Hanlon lets himself done, his beard work has been non existent throughout his career.

Forster comes over weakest but still can improve although he'll be 24 soon. Rare for young players to have the physicality he had when he broke through.

Full season of Hibs fans Hanlon and McGregor at CH excites me. And with 11 year Hibee Lewis Stevenson on one side and Sir DG on the other we're certainly not lacking in heart.
McGregor is number 1 for pace, easily!

MWHIBBIES
17-05-2017, 02:22 PM
McGregor is number 1 for pace, easily!

Yep

.Sean.
17-05-2017, 02:38 PM
I hope Fontaine has signed.

Easily good enough for the SPL and a bonafide club legend.

Allant1981
17-05-2017, 04:12 PM

On the ball
1. Hanlon
2. Fontaine
3. McGregor
4. Forster

Tackling
1. Hanlon
2. McGregor
3. Fontaine
4. Forster

Heading
1. Forster
2. Hanlon
3. McGregor
4. Fontaine

Positional
1. Hanlon
2. Fontaine
3. McGregor
4. Forster

Pace
1. Hanlon
2. Forster
3. McGregor
4. Fontaine

Beard
1. Fontaine
2. Forster
3. McGregor
4. Hanlon

sorry but hanlon isnt the quickest CH we have, he is pretty slow if we are being honest, i wouldnt say his positional play is that great either, i would actually have mcgregot above him there also,i agree with the rest of the post though, think most will agree we have 3 good CH's and forster isnt to bad either