PDA

View Full Version : New signings

Babyshamble
13-05-2017, 11:13 PM
Seen on twiiter about efe ,stokes,mulgrew.maloney.would take them all.any other players we've been linked with ?

Col2
14-05-2017, 08:44 AM
Commons and Henderson are usual rumours.

We can't have them all but would be delighted with Ambrose, Stokes and Henderson or Commons.

snooky
14-05-2017, 08:59 AM
TBH, I'd be much happier to see a new golden generation come through. There's nothing more exciting than the exuberance of youth.
I remember Kenny Miller, Broony, etc. stepping up to the big team and watching their quality mature.

I'd rather not turn our club into a staging-post for players on the road to retirement, thank you.

Steve20
14-05-2017, 09:06 AM
TBH, I'd be much happier to see a new golden generation come through. There's nothing more exciting than the exuberance of youth.
I remember Kenny Miller, Broony, etc. stepping up to the big team and watching their quality mature.

I'd rather not turn our club into a staging-post for players on the road to retirement, thank you.

If they improve our team, I couldn't care less what age they are.

keep the faith
14-05-2017, 09:43 AM
If they improve our team, I couldn't care less what age they are.

You should. We can't put together a team every year. You need young players too who will get better and grow with the team. As well as provide income when sold on.

Velma Dinkley
14-05-2017, 09:51 AM
There are 367 million Twitter accounts so when someone is using Twitter as a news source they might want to narrow it down a bit :wink:

Scouse Hibee
14-05-2017, 10:02 AM

I agree with your sentiment, but we can't afford to fall behind the rest,it's a balancing act.

Hibeewilly
14-05-2017, 10:11 AM

I would love to see a new golden generation emerge as no doubt everyone else would but this year we have a fantastic opportunity to kick on and challenge for top four. We will only do that with the type of experience players we are looking at - Allan Henderson Mallen also come into my experienced category as well as Stokesy etc. I don't think we have a single development squad player who could come into the team and help us do that this year. The odd one being part of the squad is different. Lennon is a borne winner and wants to have a real go so experience it will be although he did say that he would have brought Shaw in this season to have a look at him if he hadn't been on loan probably because he was frustrated at the lack of goals and massive amount of missed chances. He is in the process of hopefully rectifying that though GGTTH

Andy74
14-05-2017, 10:44 AM
You should. We can't put together a team every year. You need young players too who will get better and grow with the team. As well as provide income when sold on.

St Johnstone have shown you can. The important thing is a winning team. Nice if you have some home grown players but in the era of free transfers it's not vital anymore.

Success can breed more success and keep the income coming in.

Marco G
14-05-2017, 01:48 PM
I agree with your sentiment, but we can't afford to fall behind the rest,it's a balancing act.
Plus you can argue it's easier for youngsters coming into a team with experienced top class players to help them adjust. Hope that the promising youngsters here do step up to the plate but we do also need to sign quality that is already proved.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Hermit Crab
14-05-2017, 02:00 PM
Dont want maloney, we need young talented players.

hibs#1
14-05-2017, 02:03 PM
I get the impression that the management team don't feel the younger players are quite ready but do have high hopes for some of them which is why I think we're looking for more experienced players just now for the next couple of years whilst helping to bring through the younger ones as someone else said it's easier to add young players to an experienced team going well.

keep the faith
14-05-2017, 02:13 PM

Agreed

Lee Marvin
14-05-2017, 02:23 PM

See, I just want talented players. Of which the aforementioned player is one of. He would be a tremendous signing for a season or two

14-05-2017, 02:32 PM
The League Cup should be a good opportunity to give Oli Shaw and some of the other young players a run out, against the lower league teams.

Lago
14-05-2017, 02:42 PM

Kenny Miller golden generation, had a few good games then cut his holiday short to sign for rangers, he went along the M8 jet propelled. Never part of the golden generation.

JohnM1875
14-05-2017, 02:45 PM
I honestly can't believe some folk wouldn't want Maloney. He was just playing today in the English premiership. When's the last time any Scottish club outwith the old firm last signed a player straight from the EPL? He may well be 34 now but he's clearly still got an eye for a pass and will get a bucket load of assists and a few goals for whichever team he plays for next season. Rumour is it's between us and Aberdeen; if much rather he played for us than against us!

The Leith Dutch
14-05-2017, 02:48 PM
The League Cup should be a good opportunity to give Oli Shaw and some of the other young players a run out, against the lower league teams.

I'm always wary of that sort of thinking.
Shaw is, by all accounts, a prospect but then so were Kurtis Byrne, Ross Caldwell and a stack of others who didn't make it.

I hope he makes it btw but it's down to him to force his way into the team rather than us to start taking liberties with lower division sides in one of what are realistically the two pieces of silverware we could get next season.

He's staked his claim with the under 20s and it's now down to him to grab any first team opportunity he gets which is likely to be 5 - 10 minutes at the end of any games we're winning comfortably and that's not an easy ask.

where'stheslope
14-05-2017, 02:57 PM
Big name signing usually come with a price tag!

We have just arrived in the Premiership, and I don't think its prudent to be spending high wages on players who have got 1 or 2 seasons left in them?

We have to maintain a decent wage structure so that if players are required mid season we are able to afford them!

Everyone wants the best players on the park, but at an affordable price, the names mentioned on this thread would I feel bleed the club dry, and end up with the fans calling them wage thieves if we don't win the league or Scottish Cup!!!!

Lee Marvin
14-05-2017, 03:04 PM

We have just arrived in the Premiership, and I don't think its prudent to be spending high wages on players who have got 1 or 2 seasons left in them?

We have to maintain a decent wage structure so that if players are required mid season we are able to afford them!

Everyone wants the best players on the park, but at an affordable price, the names mentioned on this thread would I feel bleed the club dry, and end up with the fans calling them wage thieves if we don't win the league or Scottish Cup!!!!

Nonesense. The club will not break it's wage structure for anyone. So if any of these players sign, they will fit within our structure (albeit at the top end).

I am hoping that this wage structure will have increased with our return to the Premiership aswell.

The Leith Dutch
14-05-2017, 03:09 PM

I agree you have to be careful with the wage structure - paying any player significantly more than the others can lead to all sorts of dressing room nonsense and demands from the other players.

That said, I want quality players on the park and we shouldn't be skimping if we can get them.
A player like Maloney would be an excellent signing.

Also - not really clear about the bit in bold.
While I'd be wary of loading the club up with too many older players I don't really care about what age a player is for getting high wages as long as they're delivering on the park. How long they have left in their career is irrelevant to what we should be prepared to pay them.

bingo70
14-05-2017, 04:00 PM
I honestly can't believe some folk wouldn't want Maloney. He was just playing today in the English premiership. When's the last time any Scottish club outwith the old firm last signed a player straight from the EPL? He may well be 34 now but he's clearly still got an eye for a pass and will get a bucket load of assists and a few goals for whichever team he plays for next season. Rumour is it's between us and Aberdeen; if much rather he played for us than against us!

36 year old Dirk Kuyt just scored a hat trick for feyenord to help them win the league but there's some that'll turn their noses up at us signing a 34 year old? It's bonkers imo

brog
14-05-2017, 04:39 PM
36 year old Dirk Kuyt just scored a hat trick for feyenord to help them win the league but there's some that'll turn their noses up at us signing a 34 year old? It's bonkers imo
Some of us think Maloney is Dirk Kuyt! 😁
I don't think we need worry about being overloaded with older players on high wages. LD won't sanction that. We need a balance with some younger players with a potential resale value.