PDA

View Full Version : Is 'Hibs Class' The Most Meaningless, Nonsensical Phrase Known To Man?

My_Wife_Camille
13-05-2017, 08:02 PM
I know this won't be popular and before I go any further, I like Eddie Turnbulls original quote and the reason behind it (or at least my perceived reasoning behind it). To be it is simply a poetic was of saying "I'm a Hibs man and Hibs are the best club in the world" which is something that I agree whole heartedly with.

What I don't understand is this more recent use of the term 'Hibs class' that has been over used in recent years. To me it's nothing but an excuse and a comfort blanket for the clubs failings and soft centre.

Some examples of where I have seen or heard the phrase come up recently

Someone giving someone else a ticket for free - Hibs Class
Saying thanks to travelling fans - Hibs class
Applauding Opposition support - Hibs Class
Applauding Opposition players - Hibs Class
Martin Boyle not going down in the box against Aberdeen - Hibs Class
Martin Boyle drink driving - Sack him, not Hibs Class
Efe Ambrose giving his shirt to a young fan - Hibs class
Giving Hearts a guard of honour - Hibs class
Liam Craig - Hibs Class

There seems to be absolutely no correlation between anything and anything that sets any sort of definition for what Hibs class actually means. For example, I've been all over the country over the years following Hibs and we appear to be the only club out of them all that goes out of their way to thank the away support for attending. Not a big deal at all but very strange and indicative of the soft underbelly that our club has been accused of having in recent years. Is this Hibs class? Is applauding St Mirrens survival from relegation Hibs class even though three years earlier their fans were sat in the south stand singing that we were 'going down with the Jambos'?

Thankfully we seem to have gotten rid of most of the softness since Demster and Lennon have come in but all that has done is make the Hibs class references even stranger. Martin Boyle being called Hibs Class because he stayed on his feet instead of going to ground against Aberdeen was baffling. Is that really what Eddie Turnbull was talking about? Being honest at the expense of victory?

It seems to have developed from a phrase to describe a mans passion for his football club into a creepy doctrine for how some people live their lives. People making choices on what to do based on whether it's Hibs Class or not. I don't get it

SirDavidsNapper
13-05-2017, 08:09 PM
This thread isn't Hibs class 😉

adhibs
13-05-2017, 08:09 PM
Find it strange and realy cringey anytime its said tbh.

Its as bad as greatest fans in the world, more than a club, or anything similar.

Elephant Stone
13-05-2017, 08:10 PM
Are you sure we gave Hearts a guard of honour?

My_Wife_Camille
13-05-2017, 08:12 PM
Are you sure we gave Hearts a guard of honour?To clarify, we definitely did not. That was a reference to people who thought that we should have done

SirDavidsNapper
Are you sure we gave Hearts a guard of honour?

We told them to bolt then beat them.....Hibs class 😂

I think you're overthinking things a touch

superfurryhibby
13-05-2017, 08:13 PM
Most of the time it's used in a knowing way and I like the fact that it kind of pays tribute to the late, great ET.

Ilovehibs
13-05-2017, 08:15 PM
I have no problem with it. Something good happens- Hibs class. Not good- not hibs class. Simples.:flag::flag:

1van Sprou7e
13-05-2017, 08:17 PM
Cringey as f*** imo

lord bunberry
13-05-2017, 08:20 PM
I don't have a problem with it. In my whole life supporting hibs we have tried to do things the right way, whilst others have scraped the barrel of morality. Never more than now does the term apply with the way the club is reaching out to the community and to the fans. We've been accused of being soft as a result of this, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Our football club oozes class and long may it continue.

marinello59
13-05-2017, 08:21 PM
This is going be a long close season on here. :greengrin

lord bunberry
13-05-2017, 08:23 PM
This is going be a long close season on here. :greengrin
I'm bored and looking for an argument so I'm going to say it's not :greengrin

Bostonhibby
13-05-2017, 08:30 PM
No you're not.

Full half hour argument or just the fifteen minutes? [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

snooky
13-05-2017, 08:31 PM
"Self praise is no praise at all" someone once said.
Having said that, I think 'Hibs class' is a misnomer.
I think what people actually mean is, we will not allow our standards to drop to the gutter level of some other clubs....:wink:

Unfortunately, sometimes we do.

lord bunberry
13-05-2017, 08:33 PM
No you're not.

Neither 20 mins or nothing

Bostonhibby
13-05-2017, 08:33 PM
Neither 20 mins or nothing
No it isn't [emoji1]

lord bunberry
13-05-2017, 08:37 PM
No it isn't [emoji1]

Aye it is. LTYF :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
13-05-2017, 08:37 PM
Doesn't bother me either way to be honest I don't really think about it too much. The topic of applauding away teams and or thanking away support being described as a soft underbelly is to me a total nonsense though. If that's what we do at Hibs then it's what we do regardless of what other teams do to us. I always liked the fact of my days on the Kop when I was part of the support that always clapped the opposition goalkeeper without fail regardless of who he was or who he played for.

Bostonhibby
13-05-2017, 08:38 PM
Aye it is. LTYF :greengrin
Not Hibs class.[emoji1]

Mr White
13-05-2017, 08:39 PM
It's a phrase that doesn't really need over-thought IMHO. It's a means of applauding worthy behaviour by the club and/or the fans but it has become overused and perhaps sometimes abused too unfortunately. It's neither meaningless nor nonsensical for me though.

Snooky's post pretty much nails it I think.

lord bunberry
13-05-2017, 08:39 PM
Not Hibs class.[emoji1]

Ha ha you got me :greengrin

Bostonhibby
13-05-2017, 08:40 PM
Ha ha you got me :greengrin
Nearly said no I didn't. We'll call it a draw[emoji106]

Mr White
13-05-2017, 08:40 PM
Doesn't bother me either way to be honest I don't really think about it too much. The topic of applauding away teams and or thanking away support being described as a soft underbelly is to me a total nonsense though. If that's what we do at Hibs then it's what we do regardless of what other teams do to us. I always liked the fact of my days on the Kop when I was part of the support that always clapped the opposition goalkeeper without fail regardless of who he was or who he played for.

That's class imo and I've got no time for people saying otherwise.

lord bunberry
13-05-2017, 08:43 PM
Nearly said no I didn't. We'll call it a draw[emoji106]

:thumbsup:

Dashing Bob S
13-05-2017, 08:48 PM
I know this won't be popular and before I go any further, I like Eddie Turnbulls original quote and the reason behind it (or at least my perceived reasoning behind it). To be it is simply a poetic was of saying "I'm a Hibs man and Hibs are the best club in the world" which is something that I agree whole heartedly with.

What I don't understand is this more recent use of the term 'Hibs class' that has been over used in recent years. To me it's nothing but an excuse and a comfort blanket for the clubs failings and soft centre.

Liam Craig - Hibs Class

There seems to be absolutely no correlation between anything and anything that sets any sort of definition for what Hibs class actually means. For example, I've been all over the country over the years following Hibs and we appear to be the only club out of them all that goes out of their way to thank the away support for attending. Not a big deal at all but very strange and indicative of the soft underbelly that our club has been accused of having in recent years. Is this Hibs class? Is applauding St Mirrens survival from relegation Hibs class even though three years earlier their fans were sat in the south stand singing that we were 'going down with the Jambos'?

Thankfully we seem to have gotten rid of most of the softness since Demster and Lennon have come in but all that has done is make the Hibs class references even stranger. Martin Boyle being called Hibs Class because he stayed on his feet instead of going to ground against Aberdeen was baffling. Is that really what Eddie Turnbull was talking about? Being honest at the expense of victory?

It seems to have developed from a phrase to describe a mans passion for his football club into a creepy doctrine for how some people live their lives. People making choices on what to do based on whether it's Hibs Class or not. I don't get it

Honourable mention: we only owe it to ourselves.

guthrie01
13-05-2017, 08:58 PM

Liam Craig - Hibs Class

Was this whole post just to get another chance to have a dig at Liam Craig ?
I've noticed anytime there is a chance to even mention him you're right into the lad.

Anyway I think the phrase is overused and a bit cliche but wouldn't call it meaningless.

Baw187
13-05-2017, 09:22 PM
I don't tend to use it as I'm not really big on lauding up on so called honourable behaviour but that's not to say I don't support such behaviour. Clapping opposition fans when you you empathise with their cause and have no reason to wish them bad will, is the human thing to do. But not going to big myself up for it by labelling it as 'Hibs class'.

Tobias Funke
13-05-2017, 09:42 PM
Was this whole post just to get another chance to have a dig at Liam Craig ?
I've noticed anytime there is a chance to even mention him you're right into the lad.

Anyway I think the phrase is overused and a bit cliche but wouldn't call it meaningless.

He was pish though was he not?

AltheHibby
13-05-2017, 09:58 PM
I think "the famous" is much, much worse.

Hibrandenburg
13-05-2017, 10:09 PM
I see nothing wrong with using it as a term to praise selflessness and other good deeds amongst our own. Even if it's not entirely true there's no harm in inspiring to make it so.

SMAXXA
13-05-2017, 10:35 PM
It doesn't exist, we have some great supporters but we also have some arse holes like any other club. Trying to baseline that we or any other club for that matter have a term of xx class can be made or destroyed by those same people that follow the club.

Simple...some nice, great, noble things but also some not very classy and that won't chance unfortunately.

Hibs Class
13-05-2017, 10:40 PM
Well don't I feel foolish now :grr:

marinello59
13-05-2017, 10:45 PM

:greengrin

Ringothedog
13-05-2017, 10:46 PM
He was pish though was he not?

No

Hibernianinc
13-05-2017, 11:23 PM

Well done sir. (Or madam). 🤣

To the OP, I'm not sure of your point.

You imply a level of acceptance of mediocrity by some association of other 'values'.

I don't buy it.

Were you to criticise the phrase where it's been used as a demeaner then I'd be onside.

I find posts on several other fans sites reprehensible. Not so much on Hibs.net. We're not short of bams in our support. That this site represents a level of reasonable discourse is imo, Hibs class.

CapitalGreen
13-05-2017, 11:29 PM
It's just a saying mate.

Certainly not worth spending your Saturday night writing a 7 paragraph critique about.

My_Wife_Camille
13-05-2017, 11:39 PM
It's just a saying mate.

Certainly not worth spending your Saturday night writing a 7 paragraph critique about.best response so far. Pish thread imo

lord bunberry
13-05-2017, 11:44 PM
It doesn't exist, we have some great supporters but we also have some arse holes like any other club. Trying to baseline that we or any other club for that matter have a term of xx class can be made or destroyed by those same people that follow the club.

Simple...some nice, great, noble things but also some not very classy and that won't chance unfortunately.

I think it does exist. It shouldn't be confused with the actions of supporters, it's more to do with the actions of the club itself. Our club is a pillar of the community from things like the healthy hibee program to the kids training programs they put on during the holidays, not to mention all the things in between. We should be just as proud of the work hibs do off the pitch as on it. Show me a club in Scotland that engages with the community as well as hibs? There's a reason that we all feel so good about our club right now and it's not all about what happens on the pitch. Look at the Scottish cup tour that went around all the schools. Hearts charged kids to have their photo taken, we didn't. Hibs are everywhere in the local community working with kids and the most vulnerable in society.
Hibs class exists.

lord bunberry
13-05-2017, 11:46 PM
It's just a saying mate.

Certainly not worth spending your Saturday night writing a 7 paragraph critique about.

Who are you to start judging what other post?

Baw187
14-05-2017, 12:35 AM
Who are you to start judging what other post?

Just his opinion. Every right to respond as he sees fit.

GreenArmyyy!
14-05-2017, 07:56 AM

Liam Craig - Hibs Class

What I don't understand is why you posted this...

Keith_M
14-05-2017, 08:03 AM
Actually yes.

The whole thing is quite cringeworthy.

WeeRussell
14-05-2017, 08:07 AM
Not a phrase I've ever used personally.. I don't think (just in case anyone searches my post history and proves me wrong :) )

But doesn't bother me when others do, certainly doesn't make me cringe. If the use of it stems from a quote made by a legend of our club then all the better.

hibbydog
14-05-2017, 08:07 AM
Turnbull meant 'Hibs Class' in reference to the Calibre of play on the park. Nothing else.

Over the years it's been used to describe classy/ dignified behaviour associated with our club (lots of examples above).

It's quite tongue in cheek and humorous. Which in itself is Hibs class😀

SMAXXA
14-05-2017, 08:48 AM
I think it does exist. It shouldn't be confused with the actions of supporters, it's more to do with the actions of the club itself. Our club is a pillar of the community from things like the healthy hibee program to the kids training programs they put on during the holidays, not to mention all the things in between. We should be just as proud of the work hibs do off the pitch as on it. Show me a club in Scotland that engages with the community as well as hibs? There's a reason that we all feel so good about our club right now and it's not all about what happens on the pitch. Look at the Scottish cup tour that went around all the schools. Hearts charged kids to have their photo taken, we didn't. Hibs are everywhere in the local community working with kids and the most vulnerable in society.
Hibs class exists.

Fair argument and agree with what your saying

Fuzzywuzzy
14-05-2017, 09:43 AM
'we are the people' is the worst. Wtf **** does it actually mean and even if you say it enough times doesn't make it so. Mibbe they stand in front of a mirror and say 'wearrapeeple' 3 times and see a metamorphosis of Murray, white and Greene.

Bostonhibby
14-05-2017, 10:12 AM
'we are the people' is the worst. Wtf **** does it actually mean and even if you say it enough times doesn't make it so. Mibbe they stand in front of a mirror and say 'wearrapeeple' 3 times and see a metamorphosis of Murray, white and Greene.
Definitely the worst, what do they actually mean by it? What people are they? We are a sub species seems nearer the mark.

sleeping giant
14-05-2017, 10:47 AM
best response so far. Pish thread imo

:faf:

Class

Mr White
14-05-2017, 11:34 AM
Definitely the worst, what do they actually mean by it? What people are they? We are a sub species seems nearer the mark.

I've always taken it to mean they are the protestant majority and as such feel they are superior to anyone and everyone else. Having had a closer look at some union flag waving huns in NI I suspect this is a defensive mechanism brought on by feelings of insecurity about actually being in a minority when Ireland is viewed as a whole.

Of course that could be completely wrong. In fact it probably is :greengrin

Bostonhibby
14-05-2017, 11:38 AM
I've always taken it to mean they are the protestant majority and as such are superior to anyone else. Having had a closer look at some union flag waving huns in NI I suspect this is a defensive mechanism brought on by being insecure about actually being in a minority when Ireland is viewed as a whole.

Of course that could be completely wrong. In fact it probably is :greengrin
I know you're right but couldn't resist [emoji106]

All they have left is their sense of superiority.

sauzee's fan
14-05-2017, 11:43 AM
Nice try Jambo....move along...we are hibs, we are hibs class 💚

Mr White
14-05-2017, 11:47 AM
I know you're right but couldn't resist [emoji106]

All they have left is their sense of superiority.

And Clint Hill. They've got him too don't forget. Although I reckon the sense of superiority is probably a better defensive mechanism :greengrin

Bostonhibby
14-05-2017, 11:50 AM
And Clint Hill. They've got him too don't forget. Although I reckon the sense of superiority is probably a better defensive mechanism :greengrin
Clint Hill. Really is an example of what they can actually afford.

keep the faith
14-05-2017, 12:09 PM
No. Why shouldn't we hold close a way of playing and conducting ourselves properly??

Otherwise it's win at all costs. Eye bleeding football, Cheating and no class. Plenty teams we know well do that and i love that we strive to do things differently and our current regime demonstrate this.
Hibs class always as far as im concerned.

My_Wife_Camille
14-05-2017, 12:23 PM
No. Why shouldn't we hold close a way of playing and conducting ourselves properly??

Otherwise it's win at all costs. Eye bleeding football, Cheating and no class. Plenty teams we know well do that and i love that we strive to do things differently and our current regime demonstrate this.
Hibs class always as far as im concerned.Why Hibs Class? Why not St Johnstone Class or Dundee Utd class or Partick Thistle Class?

Why does it have to be a choice between conducting ourselves properly and winning? Why not both? Why does Hibs Class need to be an alternative to not winning?

keep the faith
14-05-2017, 12:30 PM
Why Hibs Class? Why not St Johnstone Class or Dundee Utd class or Partick Thistle Class?

Why does it have to be a choice between conducting ourselves properly and winning? Why not both? Why does Hibs Class need to be an alternative to not winning?

It's not about hibs class instead of winning. It's doing things right. Paying our debts, treating fans properly, trying to entertain on the park, giving things back in the community etc.
It's aspirational and something I would hate us to lose. In fact, I firmly believe that doing these things gets more fans engaged and provides a much better chance of winning.

Eyrie
14-05-2017, 12:38 PM
It's not about hibs class instead of winning. It's doing things right. Paying our debts, treating fans properly, trying to entertain on the park, giving things back in the community etc.
It's aspirational and something I would hate us to lose. In fact, I firmly believe that doing these things gets more fans engaged and provides a much better chance of winning.

:top marks
I don't think anyone could argue with this without looking an complete idiot.

My_Wife_Camille
14-05-2017, 12:53 PM
It's aspirational and something I would hate us to lose. In fact, I firmly believe that doing these things gets more fans engaged and provides a much better chance of winning.Fair enough but in your post you said "otherwise it's win at all costs". The use of the word 'oherwise' implied to me that it's one or the other

fatbloke
14-05-2017, 12:57 PM
Probably one phrase out of thousands of soccer sayings used the world over. I get a warm superior glow about myself when telling people I follow Hibs. It's a great wee phrase just enjoy it:agree::agree:

NZ Green
14-05-2017, 01:37 PM
I think "the famous" is much, much worse.
"The Famous" isn't Hibs class.

pacoluna
14-05-2017, 01:47 PM
I've mentioned this before. It's a lot of nonsense.

MyJo
23-06-2017, 07:27 PM
This is the definition of "Hibs class"

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?322210-Donate-the-Cost-of-a-Ticket-for-Lewis-s-Testimonial&p=5079224#post5079224

pacorosssco
23-06-2017, 10:54 PM
Democracy is the answer to question

snooky
23-06-2017, 11:35 PM
BTW, is it now Hibs Class to never mention "Hibs Class"?

Nemo
24-06-2017, 02:04 AM

Me anaw!:cb

Mantis Toboggan
24-06-2017, 03:50 AM
First of all was it not a Lawrie Reilly quote?
Second, why would the idea of the club and fans trying to do things the right way annoy someone so much?
It's not a phrase I would use myself but I'm not going to have a self flagellation session about it. They're reserved for a limited set of circumstances only.
It's a bit braggart but there's much worse things out there.

lyonhibs
24-06-2017, 04:47 AM
A meaningless cliché. If you feel the need to waffle on about "Hibs Class" then you ain't got it.

Juice-Terry
24-06-2017, 05:32 AM
No.

Callum_62
24-06-2017, 05:41 AM
It only irks me when used un conjunction with players who invariably end up having no bottle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viva_Palmeiras
24-06-2017, 05:45 AM
Back to Op.
No that award goes to the phrase "forever in our shadow".

And to use a thread to question the quote from Hibs Legend Eddie Turnbull league and cup winner as player and then manager respectively and one of the famous five - well Eddie would have torn strips off...

Thread closed,

AZhibee
24-06-2017, 06:36 AM
Heard alot about this class, can it be taken online, and is a certificate awarded upon completion?

jacomo
24-06-2017, 06:56 AM
Most of the time it's used in a knowing way and I like the fact that it kind of pays tribute to the late, great ET.

:agree:

The OP is indeed overthinking things and picking pointless battles.

If you don't like the phrase don't use it. It's only used as a mark of appreciation FFS.

superfurryhibby
24-06-2017, 07:49 AM
A meaningless cliché. If you feel the need to waffle on about "Hibs Class" then you ain't got it.

We're the mental Hibees baby we've got class......Hibees ya bass ( to the tune of the Bonzo Dog Do-Da Band's I'm the urban spaceman).

Baker9
24-06-2017, 12:53 PM
No you're not.

You can't restrict it to only two choices.

Bostonhibby
24-06-2017, 01:34 PM
You can't restrict it to only two choices.
Yes I can

Scouse Hibee
24-06-2017, 02:17 PM
It's a phrase of appreciation that suits certain situations, no need to over think it at all.

Chip shop Joe
24-06-2017, 02:32 PM
No "Up top" is! This seems to have crept in over the last couple of years.

It is up front, you have a back line and a front line. You don't have top line and a bottom line!

Keith_M
24-06-2017, 02:36 PM

It is up front, you have a back line and a front line. You don't have top line and a bottom line!

I quite like people having A Lot Up Top

Chip shop Joe
24-06-2017, 02:51 PM
Prefer only females myself but each to their own😀

Scouse Hibee
24-06-2017, 03:12 PM

The bottom line is who cares!

Chip shop Joe
24-06-2017, 03:46 PM

Me!

SRHibs
24-06-2017, 03:51 PM

I'd just prefer if up top was kept on the down low.

My_Wife_Camille
24-06-2017, 04:54 PM
Haven't slept since this thread was started. It means that much to me

Green Cabbage 7
24-06-2017, 07:04 PM
Was it not Eddie Turnbull who used the phrase? His meaning being the standard and style of football being of the highest calibre . Maybe meaning that this was the standard of the famous five and what he felt was the best and what the club should aspire too!

JohnM1875
25-06-2017, 12:16 AM
I get the history of its usage etc. But it honestly really makes me cringe every time I hear it used. I'm Hibs through and through. Always have been, and always will be. So, for me, they are the best team in the world! That does not mean I think I'm a better person for supporting Hibs than another fan who cares equally as much about his team. Nor do I think folk who support Hibs are better or have more class about them than other fans. Trust me, I know a lot of Hibs fans who are complete idiots! I just don't get it. Reeks of smugness to me.

pacorosssco
25-06-2017, 06:32 AM
Was it not Eddie Turnbull who used the phrase? His meaning being the standard and style of football being of the highest calibre . Maybe meaning that this was the standard of the famous five and what he felt was the best and what the club should aspire too!

Yes think so he said theres 2nd class 1st class then theres Hibs class think was dig at Jock Stein.Its in Tornados DVD I think

Baker9
25-06-2017, 11:20 AM
Yes I can

Doesn't say that in the brochure. :wink:

GreenLake
25-06-2017, 11:26 AM
Hibs class is where jambos should be taught about history and fairness in football and given assignments to re-write their destroyed songbook.

NAE NOOKIE
25-06-2017, 12:09 PM
I have a paperweight with the Hibs badge inside it .............. now that's Hibs glass :greengrin

oneone73
25-06-2017, 12:41 PM
Jason Cummings taking travel adapters to Wales... that's Hibs crass.