PDA

View Full Version : Martin Boyle

Heisenberg
12-05-2017, 04:44 PM
Banned from driving for 12 months for drink driving. Idiot.

hibee
12-05-2017, 04:47 PM
I searched for this earlier, didn't post as sure it would have been mentioned before.

Absolutely ridiculous that people still get behind the wheel with that much drink in them, no excuse.

Can't believe the fine is only £400 considering how much they can fine you for speeding nowadays.

http://www.eastlothiancourier.com/news/15283489.Hibs_footballer_banned_from_the_roads_for _drink_driving_in_East_Lothian/

givescotlandfreedom
12-05-2017, 04:52 PM
He's lucky to have got away with that, his actions could have killed people.

tamig
12-05-2017, 04:52 PM
That post-Cup Final bender obviously took a bit longer than expected to work it's way through his system. Disappointing news.

H18 SFR
12-05-2017, 04:53 PM
Do you think this will have any baring on a new deal?

1van Sprou7e
12-05-2017, 05:00 PM

Well he can't drive away from us now, he's ours!

H18 SFR
12-05-2017, 05:03 PM
Well he can't drive away from us now, he's ours!

Good thinking ha ha.

Brightside
12-05-2017, 05:06 PM
I'd sack him for this tbh.

BullsCloseHibs
12-05-2017, 05:07 PM

Hope not. I like him. Good player.

Beefster
12-05-2017, 05:09 PM
Idiot. He's lucky to get off so lightly after being that much over the limit. I hope Hibs are disciplining him too.

Golden Bear
12-05-2017, 05:09 PM
Hope not. I like him. Good player.

I thought he'd just signed a 2 year extension?

BullsCloseHibs
12-05-2017, 05:10 PM

I hope so.

Centre Hawf
12-05-2017, 05:11 PM
Absolute idiot. Thankfully no one was hurt and he learns from this.

HibsNutter
12-05-2017, 05:16 PM

Not heard anything. Marv, Daz, LS, Gray and Laidlaw have been given two-year deals. No news on Fyvie, Fontaine or Boyle yet.

Also, disgusting behaviour from Boyle, he should be ashamed.

The_Horde
12-05-2017, 05:16 PM

:hilarious

Beefster
12-05-2017, 05:19 PM

I probably would too. It wasn't that long ago that folk were going mental on here about the footballer, who killed some members of a family whilst drunk driving, getting another club.

It's not judgement or driving skill that made Boyle avoid killing someone too.

WeeRussell

Possibly.

Although Boyler seems like a decent lad, works hard and has the pace to cause bother, I wouldn't be overly fussed about losing him (before this story came out). Think there's a very good chance he'll be surplus to requirements next season.

Is a disappointing story though, whether he's sticking around or not.

stantonhibby

Hardly a laughing matter

weecounty hibby
12-05-2017, 05:20 PM

I would lose my job for being convicted of drink driving. No it's, no buts, no maybes. Summary dismissal immediately. Boils my pish that footballers have a different set of values to work within than most of us. I like Boyle but this is in redo my stupid. Would it have been so funny if he killed someone while pissed at the wheel?

greenginger
12-05-2017, 05:21 PM
I searched for this earlier, didn't post as sure it would have been mentioned before.

Absolutely ridiculous that people still get behind the wheel with that much drink in them, no excuse.

Can't believe the fine is only £400 considering how much they can fine you for speeding nowadays.

http://www.eastlothiancourier.com/news/15283489.Hibs_footballer_banned_from_the_roads_for _drink_driving_in_East_Lothian/

He would have been under the limit if he had been driving in England. 80mg/100 for the rest of UK

alhibby
12-05-2017, 05:23 PM
From his facebook page

" Never walked out a night club and straight into my car. Was the next morning when I thought I was alright to drive home and alcohol was still in my system. I'm a idiot yes. Phoned everyone at the club the next day and knew what I had done was terrible. Can't take what I done back. Need to learn from the lesson and move on now. Apologies"

" Don't expect anyone to stick up for me or that just to let you know I have let myself down massively."

Scottie
12-05-2017, 05:24 PM
Me too.

Brightside
12-05-2017, 05:26 PM

You think its a joke? 3 times the limit? Could have killed people. Its a sackable offence for many people in employment.

Gordy M
He would have been under the limit if he had been driving in England. 80mg/100 for the rest of UK

Nope he wouldnt be.....that figure is when blood is taken....this was breath sample which is 35mg in 100, which was the old limit in scotland. Its now 22mg in 100.

Golden Bear
I won't defend drink driving in the slightest but if we are all being honest then I'd bet that a lot of us have on at least one occasion "risked it." It's not smart, its *loody stupid but it still happens out there in the big world.

Unseen work
12-05-2017, 05:27 PM
He's an idiot when out, not basing that opinion on this alone.

Pete
12-05-2017, 05:27 PM
From his facebook page

" Never walked out a night club and straight into my car. Was the next morning when I thought I was alright to drive home and alcohol was still in my system. I'm a idiot yes. Phoned everyone at the club the next day and knew what I had done was terrible. Can't take what I done back. Need to learn from the lesson and move on now. Apologies"

" Don't expect anyone to stick up for me or that just to let you know I have let myself down massively."

Fair enough. He's been careless and been punished accordingly.

As far as the club goes, the one thing they should maybe be doing is questioning his relationship with alcohol.

WhileTheChief..
12-05-2017, 05:28 PM
Kinda feel for him. I've always thought getting done for drink driving in the morning after a night out is a bit harsh but everyone knows the risk.

I wouldn't sack him for it, I just wouldn't renew his contract as I've never thought he's that good!

Tricky one for the club I suppose. Stand by your man or make an example?:confused:

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-05-2017, 05:29 PM

Ignorant reply.

CRAZYHIBBY
12-05-2017, 05:31 PM
He made a stupid mistake...ive done it several times when i was younger but there is no way in hell id do it again.....he will learn from it but there's no need to sack him

Auckland Hibs
12-05-2017, 05:33 PM
From his facebook page

Blood alcohol level more than three times the limit the morning after - it must have a been a big night out.

Unseen work
12-05-2017, 05:33 PM
Kinda feel for him. I've always thought getting done for drink driving in the morning after a night out is a bit harsh but everyone knows the risk.

I wouldn't sack him for it, I just wouldn't renew his contract as I've never thought he's that good!

Tricky one for the club I suppose. Stand by your man or make an example?:confused:

If you're over the limit you're over the limit, no matter if you've had a sleep in between.

For example, if you went out from 1200-1500 and had let's say 5-6 pints, then went home and slept till 2300, would you then drive somewhere on that same day?

People seem to think if they go to sleep on a Saturday night/ early ours of a Sunday morning then wake up on the Sunday it's ok

He must have brought himself to Police attention somehow by his driving.

1van Sprou7e
12-05-2017, 05:35 PM
Fair enough. He's been careless and been punished accordingly.

As far as the club goes, the one thing they should maybe be doing is questioning his relationship with alcohol.

This. We all know he loves a bevy and it's probably in his best interests to cut down

WeeRussell
12-05-2017, 05:36 PM
I won't defend drink driving in the slightest but if we are all being honest then I'd bet that a lot of us have on at least one occasion "risked it." It's not smart, its *loody stupid but it still happens out there in the big world.

Maybe. But the majority of us would also expect to be in trouble with our work if caught.

tamig
12-05-2017, 05:36 PM
I probably would too. It wasn't that long ago that folk were going mental on here about the footballer, who killed some members of a family whilst drunk driving, getting another club.

It's not judgement or driving skill that made Boyle avoid killing someone too.
While in no way condoning drink driving, any one of us could end up killing someone on the road regardless of how conscientious or skillful a driver we are - or think we are. Martin Boyle does not deserve the sack for this.

Leith Green
12-05-2017, 05:37 PM
Im guessing this could be the reason Boyle's re-signing (if true) wasnt announced this week.

Leith Green
12-05-2017, 05:39 PM
Maybe. But the majority of us would also expect to be in trouble with our work if caught.

Unless you had a driving job , then you would be very very unlucky to be sacked for this these days. Alcohol awareness programmes etc

Chip shop Joe
12-05-2017, 05:40 PM
It's all good news stories today what with Insalls drugs and Boyles drink:confused:

Will make it all the sweeter when Griffiths is announced tomorrow:agree:

Mainstandman
12-05-2017, 05:44 PM
From his facebook page

A disappointing sign of much he must of drunk the night before.

tamig
12-05-2017, 05:45 PM
From his facebook page

Good on the boy for coming out with that.

As GG mentions, he'd be fine in England. I don't drink and drive at all but I don't think there's a need for a zero limit or a lower limit in Scotland vs rest of the UK. *edit - just seen this statement is incorrect.

hibee
12-05-2017, 05:46 PM

He would have been nearly double the limit rather than triple in Scotland, still ridiculously high to get behind the wheel.

emerald green
12-05-2017, 05:47 PM

I kinda don't "feel for him". I've no sympathy whatsoever for him, or drunk drivers in general. Neither do police officers, fire crews and ambulance staff who have to deal with the carnage caused by drunk drivers.

It's not a "bit harsh". It's the law.

Golden Bear
12-05-2017, 05:51 PM

Only if your car was needed in the course of your employment surely? I know one guy who was caught but he never lost his job.

hibee92
12-05-2017, 05:52 PM
Don't let the door hit you on the way out. No time for that.

The_Horde
12-05-2017, 05:54 PM
Ignorant reply.

Is it really?

Hypocrisy of some on here. In one thread creaming about the thought of Stokes signing, a guy who's problems are widely documented and whom also has recently been done for a pretty vicious assault. Then you have people on this thread saying Boyle should be sacked?

So we sack Boyle for drink driving and hire Stokes who was done for assault? Both irresponsible offences that can cause harm and even potentially cost lives?

Aye sign me up.

blackpoolhibs
12-05-2017, 05:55 PM
There's a lot of folk here who have never done this before, and cant wait to get the boot in.

Was he wrong, yes, should he pay, yes, will he do it again, i hope not, but FFS he's human and made a mistake.

The courts have dealt with it, its finished as far as i'm concerned.

Blaster
12-05-2017, 05:57 PM
There's a lot of folk here who have never done this before, and cant wait to get the boot in.

Was he wrong, yes, should he pay, yes, will he do it again, i hope not, but FFS he's human and made a mistake.

Well said

Unseen work
12-05-2017, 05:58 PM
Is it confirmed he was 3x the limit?

To judge his night out is hard as it doesn't take many drinks at all to get 3x the limit.

So a young guy on a night out after his season is finished getting steaming is absolutely fine imo.

Even to be overly the limit the whole of the next day is somewhat normal and again I don't have a problem with it.

The only problem is the actually driving his car.

The_Horde
12-05-2017, 05:58 PM
As for "some employees of certain employers would be sacked for the same offence".

Welcome to the real world folks, the job of a footballer has never been nor will it ever be a normal job.

weecounty hibby
12-05-2017, 05:59 PM
Only if your car was needed in the course of your employment surely? I know one guy who was caught but he never lost his job.
Not true. I don't need my car for work but as I posted earlier would be punted instantly.
Folk who are saying it would be harsh to sack him need to consider why the limit is so low. Numerous deaths due to drink driving over the years and numerous families lives changed for ever

Golden Bear
12-05-2017, 05:59 PM
Not true. I don't need my car for work but as I posted earlier would be punted instantly.
Folk who are saying it would be harsh to sack him need to consider why the limit is so low. Numerous deaths due to drink driving over the years and numerous families lives changed for ever

It was true.

Golden Bear
12-05-2017, 06:01 PM

Absolutely correct.

weecounty hibby
12-05-2017, 06:01 PM
It was true.

Never meant your story wasn't true, I meant not true that you'd get the bullet only if you needed to drive for work

Golden Bear
12-05-2017, 06:04 PM
Never meant your story wasn't true, I meant not true that you'd get the bullet only if you needed to drive for work

In that case I would say it all depends on what was written in to the contract of employment.

Peevemor
12-05-2017, 06:05 PM

Spot on!

weecounty hibby
12-05-2017, 06:07 PM
In that case I would say it all depends on what was written in to the contract of employment.

Absolutely, and where I work I know that if I am in any kind of bother with the law through alcohol then I will be almost certainly dismissed.

Mcpakeisgod
12-05-2017, 06:12 PM
Is it really?

Hypocrisy of some on here. In one thread creaming about the thought of Stokes signing, a guy who's problems are widely documented and whom also has recently been done for a pretty vicious assault. Then you have people on this thread saying Boyle should be sacked?

So we sack Boyle for drink driving and hire Stokes who was done for assault? Both irresponsible offences that can cause harm and even potentially cost lives?

Aye sign me up.

Absolutely bang on mate

Hibby Bairn
12-05-2017, 06:16 PM
Professional footballer getting pished during the season should be enough for contract cancellation imo.

Golden Bear
12-05-2017, 06:19 PM
Professional footballer getting pished during the season should be enough for contract cancellation imo.

We'd need a squad of about 100 players just to see us up to the January transfer window. 😁

SquashedFrogg
12-05-2017, 06:31 PM

Only my opinion, but when people make mistakes they deserve a chance to redeem themselves. In most circumstances anyway.

Bishop Hibee
12-05-2017, 06:33 PM
Moronic behaviour.

SquashedFrogg
12-05-2017, 06:35 PM
Is it really?

Aye sign me up.

:aok: Couldn't have put it better myself. Running onto the pitch at Hampden half-jaked seems perfectly acceptable however.

lapsedhibee
12-05-2017, 06:35 PM

Ok, why is the limit so low?
I've always considered that it's the Scottish Government virtue-signalling to the rest of the UK. Is that not right?

bigwheel
12-05-2017, 06:42 PM
I've always considered that it's the Scottish Government virtue-signalling to the rest of the UK. Is that not right?

the rest of the UK limit is the joint highest in Europe..the Scottish limit was lowered in line with other countries - and supported by evidence of that it will cut the levels of deaths and injuries on the road...

Eyrie
12-05-2017, 06:43 PM

The lower limit is to remove any idea that it's OK to have just one as that won't make a difference. I think most people are now sensible enough to accept that it is either a drink or it's driving and the two should not be combined, even in moderation.

I have no sympathy for Boyle as, even with the reduced limit, he must have had a skinful the previous evening to still be over the limit. Per the quote from his Facebook quote he accepts he was an idiot, so let's hope that he's actually learnt his lesson.

Is it a sacking offence? No, but it should be if he is stupid enough to let it happen again.

matty_f
12-05-2017, 06:46 PM

Completely agree.

Borderhibbie76
12-05-2017, 06:46 PM
To be far to him he was caught the morning after and has posted an apology on Facebook on this east Lothian courier article. Let's stop getting in his case...he knows he made a mistake

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

matty_f
12-05-2017, 06:48 PM

That's correct, I've worked for two huge businesses where three people were convicted of drink driving- one of whom served a prison sentence for it, and none of them were sacked.

All three were offered rehabilitation support by the business.

Brightside
12-05-2017, 06:49 PM
Is it really?

Aye sign me up.

I'll help you out... i want neither.

SirDavidsNapper
12-05-2017, 06:50 PM
I'm sure he's aware he's made a mistake. He's been punished. I'm sure he'll learn from it. Let's leave it at that.

madhatter
12-05-2017, 06:51 PM
To be far to him he was caught the morning after and has posted an apology on Facebook on this east Lothian courier article. Let's stop getting in his case...he knows he made a mistake

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I agree with this and the other ones which say "give him a break" but...does the line get drawn at injuries and deaths? Is it ok to make a mistake and learn from it even though you could've killed someone, even yourself? Do you need to kill someone before it's just downright wrong?

It's idiotic behaviour and hardly a model example for one of the young Hibs fans...

I'd certainly consider it when discussing the contract renewal if we even want him to stay now.

lapsedhibee
That's correct, I've worked for two huge businesses where three people were convicted of drink driving- one of whom served a prison sentence for it, and none of them were sacked.

All three were offered rehabilitation support by the business.

Think you're actually disagreeing with weecounty!

Malthibby

Yup.
I'm sure the club will have a long talk with him, & help him get assistance if he needs it. Absolutely not condoning
drink driving but there's some seriously judgemental folk on here. Not religious but I always liked the casting stones
story; a wee look in the mirror before putting the boot in can be a useful thing.

Conrad Gray
Without going into details, I know there are a number of us on the forum who knew a hibby who was killed by a drink driver in recent years. The driver responsible blew significantly less Boyle on this occasion. Boyle's action were totally irresponsible and could have lead to any of us losing a loved one. He is lucky he did not kill himself or someone else. Having seen the pain that drink driving causes 1st hand, I hope he has learned his lesson.

matty_f
12-05-2017, 06:52 PM
Think you're actually disagreeing with weecounty!

Aye!! :

blackpoolhibs
12-05-2017, 06:52 PM

I'm glad you are not in charge at easter road, you wanted Cathro at Hibs.

I win. :na na:

SquashedFrogg
12-05-2017, 06:58 PM
If someone in your family done this you would stand up for them, support them and show loyalty. Help them get over it and learn from it.

Boyle has been silly but he has my total support and backing. I'm certain it'll make him a better person :agree:

FWIW I hope we sign Stokes and all those castigating Boyle think twice about praising the news.

Brightside
12-05-2017, 06:59 PM
I'm glad you are not in charge at easter road, you wanted Cathro at Hibs.

I win. :na na:

At least my team would be sober and not in jail. :na na:

SquashedFrogg
12-05-2017, 07:00 PM

Poor.

blackpoolhibs
12-05-2017, 07:01 PM

Thats where they'd probably rather be than listening to Cathy? :wink:

lapsedhibee
12-05-2017, 07:02 PM
the rest of the UK limit is the joint highest in Europe..the Scottish limit was lowered in line with other countries - and supported by evidence of that it will cut the levels of deaths and injuries on the road...

Well, you say 'evidence'. I've read that one in five drivers involved in fatal accidents have alcohol in their blood. Presumably, then, four in five drivers involved in fatal accidents don't have alcohol in their blood. So you are four times more likely to be involved in a fatal accident if you drive without alcohol in your blood.

While I'm on the subject of virtue-signalling, Edinburgh council - the murderers and maimers - are continuing to allow vehicles in the city centre to race along at 20mph when, as any fule no, the level of deaths and injuries on city streets would be reduced significantly if the speed limit were cut to 5mph.

SquashedFrogg
12-05-2017, 07:03 PM
Thats where they'd probably rather be than listening to Cathy? :wink:

:tee hee:

bingo70
12-05-2017, 07:03 PM
When I first read he was 3 times the limit I thought he could get sacked for that.

I really like the guy so I've no desire to see him get punished more than necessary but if we don't take any further action I think he can count himself lucky.

Brightside
12-05-2017, 07:04 PM
Poor.

Whats poor is people thinking drink driving is somehow understandable.... "ah we've all done it"

He was THREE times over the limit the NEXT day!

Pretty Boy
12-05-2017, 07:05 PM
Absolute idiot who's lucky he didn't cause anyone harm.

Hopefully he learns a few lessons from this and quickly, I expect the club will have a few harsh words for him and rightly so.

blackpoolhibs
12-05-2017, 07:07 PM
Whats poor is people thinking drink driving is somehow understandable.... "ah we've all done it"

What do you mean understandable, i see nobody condoning what he's done at all?

CropleyWasGod
12-05-2017, 07:08 PM
Well, you say 'evidence'. I've read that one in five drivers involved in fatal accidents have alcohol in their blood. Presumably, then, four in five drivers involved in fatal accidents don't have alcohol in their blood. So you are four times more likely to be involved in a fatal accident if you drive without alcohol in your blood.

While I'm on the subject of virtue-signalling, Edinburgh council - the murderers and maimers - are continuing to allow vehicles in the city centre to race along at 20mph when, as any fule no, the level of deaths and injuries on city streets would be reduced significantly if the speed limit were cut to 5mph.

Yamaths :greengrin:

You have to know how many people drive with and without alcohol in their blood before you can draw that conclusion.

SquashedFrogg
12-05-2017, 07:09 PM

:rolleyes:

bigwheel
12-05-2017, 07:10 PM

I think you are misunderstanding statistics....you need to also consider the amount of people driving with drink and without drink in their system...

There is plenty of empirical evidence that drinking affects driving performance and therefore safety on the roads.

Your last point just sounds like a mad rant tbh

Brightside
12-05-2017, 07:10 PM
What do you mean understandable, i see nobody condoning what he's done at all?

"we've all done it" "he'll learn from his mistakes" its a laissez faire attitude to a horrible crime. a crime that kills people.

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-05-2017, 07:14 PM
Is it really?

Aye sign me up.

No. You don't do either. Unless you do what you have done and try and justify behaviour with whatabouterry.

SingaporeHibs
12-05-2017, 07:17 PM
Without going into details, I know there are a number of us on the forum who knew a hibby who was killed by a drink driver in recent years. The driver responsible blew significantly less Boyle on this occasion. Boyle's action were totally irresponsible and could have lead to any of us losing a loved one. He is lucky he did not kill himself or someone else. Having seen the pain that drink driving causes 1st hand, I hope he has learned his lesson.
As much sympathy as I have for that loss its incredibly unfair to compare that to Boyle's case. There are many variables involved in 'next day' drink driving and Boyle should not be compared to that particular case. He made a mistake. He didn't kill anyone (thankfully). He Is a pretty small fella, claims that he should not have driven 'pished' are true but in reality it's pretty hard to tell the next day if we're onside or offside. For those saying I would lose my job, well, that's true I'm sure but Pres Trump (having been bankrupt) wouldn't be allowed to do my job but is the leader of the free world!! That's life

ancient hibee
12-05-2017, 07:18 PM
Is it confirmed he was 3x the limit?

To judge his night out is hard as it doesn't take many drinks at all to get 3x the limit.

So a young guy on a night out after his season is finished getting steaming is absolutely fine imo.

Even to be overly the limit the whole of the next day is somewhat normal and again I don't have a problem with it.

The only problem is the actually driving his car.

His season was far from over.

lapsedhibee
12-05-2017, 07:19 PM
Yamaths :greengrin:

You have to know how many people drive with and without alcohol in their blood before you can draw that conclusion.

:wink:

blackpoolhibs
12-05-2017, 07:19 PM
"we've all done it" "he'll learn from his mistakes" its a laissez faire attitude to a horrible crime. a crime that kills people.

I'd say with certainty that i have done it in the past, and i have never had a crash but realise i could have, or done even worse.

Now i dont do it at all, i never get in my car the day after if i have had a drink.

So i can say that i have learnt from my mistakes, without ever being caught doing it.

Maybe i should be sacked from ever attending Easter Road again. :greengrin

lapsedhibee
12-05-2017, 07:22 PM
I think you are misunderstanding statistics....you need to also consider the amount of people driving with drink and without drink in their system...

There is plenty of empirical evidence that drinking affects driving performance and therefore safety on the roads.

Ken. As do many other things, such as driving when you're tired, which never seem to attract any moral outrage at all.

Brightside
12-05-2017, 07:22 PM
I'd say with certainty that i have done it in the past, and i have never had a crash but realise i could have, or done even worse.

Now i dont do it at all, i never get in my car the day after if i have had a drink.

So i can say that i have learnt from my mistakes, without ever being caught doing it.

I'll see what i can do.

blackpoolhibs
12-05-2017, 07:26 PM
I'll see what i can do.

Dont do that, i might have to start watching that women's crap. :duck:

bigwheel
12-05-2017, 07:26 PM
Ken. As do many other things, such as driving when you're tired, which never seem to attract any moral outrage at all.

that's a fair point ....the morality on this thread is a typical social media example....the amount of "perfect citizens" on twitter and forums when things like this get publicised is quite amazing! :wink:

WeeRussell
12-05-2017, 07:27 PM

He can attend Easter Road whenever he wants. But having been charged with drink driving, his employers will want a word and it's not ridiculous for some to suggest he may face disciplinary action, even dismissal.

Conrad Gray
12-05-2017, 07:28 PM
You are right, it is incredibly unfair to compare. The driver that left my friends kids without their dad was a lot less drunk than boyle. There are a lot of variables, but one thing is constant by driving on the night or the next day after a skin full you are exposing yourself and others to the risk of harm/death.

As much sympathy as I have for that loss its incredibly unfair to compare that to Boyle's case. There are many variables involved in 'next day' drink driving and Boyle should not be compared to that particular case. He made a mistake. He didn't kill anyone (thankfully). He Is a pretty small fella, claims that he should not have driven 'pished' are true but in reality it's pretty hard to tell the next day if we're onside or offside. For those saying I would lose my job, well, that's true I'm sure but Pres Trump (having been bankrupt) wouldn't be allowed to do my job but is the leader of the free world!! That's life

Andy74
12-05-2017, 07:28 PM
We probably know folk that have been killed by drivers speeding. We all still do that though don't we?

He's made a mistake, no one was harmed fortunately and we move on.

greenlex
12-05-2017, 07:29 PM

Must be great being as perfect as you.

bingo70
12-05-2017, 07:30 PM
Dont do that, i might have to start watching that women's crap. :duck:

I've seen that video, made me a wee bit sick tbh but each to their own.

Aldo
12-05-2017, 07:32 PM
He was caught the morning after and if so his lower sample reading would be 63. With the limit being 21.

FWIW I think the limit should be zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WeeRussell
12-05-2017, 07:32 PM
that's a fair point ....the morality on this thread is a typical social media example....the amount of "perfect citizens" on twitter and forums when things like this get publicised is quite amazing! :wink:

I'm miles away from the perfect citizen. But if I was pulled up by my boss for drink driving, I wouldn't argue against any action on the grounds that he's a bit of a dick himself.

What Boyle did was very wrong, he knows it, we all know it.. and it may affect his future at the club. People jumping down other's throats for criticising his behaviour or suggesting he could be sacked is bizarre.

blackpoolhibs
12-05-2017, 07:34 PM
He can attend Easter Road whenever he wants. But having been charged with drink driving, his employers will want a word and it's not ridiculous for some to suggest he may face disciplinary action, even dismissal.

Who was the last player sacked for this offence? :confused:

bigwheel
12-05-2017, 07:36 PM
I'm miles away from the perfect citizen. But if I was pulled up by my boss for drink driving, I wouldn't argue against any action on the grounds that he's a bit of a dick himself.

What Boyle did was very wrong, he knows it, we all know it.. and it may affect his future at the club. People jumping down other's throats for criticising his behaviour or suggesting he could be sacked is bizarre.

He can't be sacked I don't think, as he is out of contract... if Hibs choose not to renew because of it he can't argue. But the "whiter than white" type of morality on some of these posts are laughable - that's social media for you.

blackpoolhibs
12-05-2017, 07:38 PM
I've seen that video, made me a wee bit sick tbh but each to their own.

Link? :tee hee:

SquashedFrogg
12-05-2017, 07:39 PM

Great post. I'll now confess that I've driven the day after a sesh and shouldn't have. Done it on the way to ER. Should I hand my season ticket over?

Conrad Gray
12-05-2017, 07:40 PM

Russel Latapy?

SingaporeHibs
12-05-2017, 07:43 PM
You are right, it is incredibly unfair to compare. The driver that left my friends kids without their dad was a lot less drunk than boyle. There are a lot of variables, but one thing is constant by driving on the night or the next day after a skin full you are exposing yourself and others to the risk of harm/death.

There is no arguement to your terrible story. As a father myself it's impossible to even try. I get that. Maybe I picked the wrong thread to reply to. My mistake, that happens. I just feel there are too many wanting to hang a man that's got something wrong on a particular day in his life. I do t like that. He was wrong, got caught, is punished and will get in trouble from the club as well but let's not make the guy out to be something he isn't (maybe thankfully). Mistake made, no harm done, learn from it and move on.

Mr White
12-05-2017, 07:43 PM

Darren McCormack maybe? Can't remember the details and whether he was out of contract or not but he had a drink driving conviction around the time of his departure from hibs I think.

blackpoolhibs
12-05-2017, 07:46 PM
Russel Latapy?

I thought he was sold after being caught out with Dwight York the night before a game?

Turns out he missed training, and McLeish had run out of patience with him.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11792/2209587/latapy-played-last-game-for-hibs-mcleish

The_Horde
12-05-2017, 07:49 PM

Great trolling buddy!

blackpoolhibs
12-05-2017, 07:50 PM
Darren McCormack maybe? Can't remember the details and whether he was out of contract or not but he had a drink driving conviction around the time of his departure from hibs I think.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darren_McCormack

Mr White
12-05-2017, 07:53 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darren_McCormack

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/archives/news/33356/bevvied-hibs-ace-is-banned/

Doesn't look like he was sacked but presumably played a part in his contract not being renewed. It could be similar for Boyle I suppose.

SingaporeHibs
12-05-2017, 07:54 PM
I thought he was sold after being caught out with Dwight York the night before a game?

Turns out he missed training, and McLeish had run out of patience with him.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11792/2209587/latapy-played-last-game-for-hibs-mcleish
Biggest mistake little Eck ever made. Should of slapped his hand and got on with it. Latapy along side Sauzze were the best players I've seen in a Hibs jersey in 35 years (legends excepted)

Andy74
12-05-2017, 07:57 PM
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/archives/news/33356/bevvied-hibs-ace-is-banned/

Doesn't look like he was sacked but presumably played a part in his contract not being renewed. It could be similar for Boyle I suppose.

Maybe, but not being very good was the main reason.

12-05-2017, 08:00 PM
Very very stupid and his actions could have ended in a horrible tragedy.

Think its clear that he genuinely didn't mean it and he underestimated how much alcohol he was under the morning after so i don't think in anyway he was trying to be smart and drive home drunk. Still unacceptable but can see why it could happen.

MWHIBBIES
12-05-2017, 08:02 PM
Why is a professional athlete getting that pished in the first place? Hope he isn't doing that regularly.

silverhibee
12-05-2017, 08:02 PM

Did Hibs not get rid of Darren McCormack soon after his drink driving offence.

WeeRussell
12-05-2017, 08:03 PM
He can't be sacked I don't think, as he is out of contract... if Hibs choose not to renew because of it he can't argue. But the "whiter than white" type of morality on some of these posts are laughable - that's social media for you.

Yeah fair enough and think you're right re contract situation. I'm not even convinced he should be sacked myself. I just don't find it ludicrous to suggest he could be.

This.

SeanWilson
An awful lot of sanctimony on this thread.....

Fifehibby74
12-05-2017, 08:04 PM
The guys been an idiot to take the chance the morning after. He's been caught - dealt with by the courts. He says he's learned his lesson. End of the matter in my opinion.

Aye he likes a drink but some people are making out like the guy is like Oliver Reid.

I was talking to him at the Lewis Stevenson testimonial dinner where there was plenty drink flowing but he was sober as he was playing against Turriff the next day.

I'm sure he's mortified and embarrassed and hopefully learned his lesson.

Frazerbob
12-05-2017, 08:04 PM

Exactly. ***** thread!

12-05-2017, 08:05 PM
Why is a professional athlete getting that pished in the first place? Hope he isn't doing that regularly.

He's entitled to have a night out with pals just like anyone else. get a grip.

WeeRussell
12-05-2017, 08:08 PM
Great post. I'll now confess that I've driven the day after a sesh and shouldn't have. Done it on the way to ER. Should I hand my season ticket over?

Jeez. At least Blackpool's poor joke, which you've copied, was at the end of a post making a reasonable point :)

poolman
12-05-2017, 08:12 PM

Spot on

But look out for the Holier than thou brigade who have lived a blemish free life 😕

SquashedFrogg
12-05-2017, 08:16 PM

Mate it's frightening.

Michael
12-05-2017, 08:16 PM

Of course, but not during the season. It's no coincidence that the best athletes don't do it.

SquashedFrogg
12-05-2017, 08:18 PM
The guys been an idiot to take the chance the morning after. He's been caught - dealt with by the courts. He says he's learned his lesson. End of the matter in my opinion.

Aye he likes a drink but some people are making out like the guy is like Oliver Reid.

I was talking to him at the Lewis Stevenson testimonial dinner where there was plenty drink flowing but he was sober as he was playing against Turriff the next day.

I'm sure he's mortified and embarrassed and hopefully learned his lesson.

:aok:

MWHIBBIES
12-05-2017, 08:21 PM

Relax there pal, I don't see much wrong with expecting players to take care of themselves. You think Andy Murray goes out and gets pished with his pals? You think Ryan Giggs played in the Premier league till 40 by getting pished with his pals?

Personally I think footballers and athletes in general should have a bit of discipline and take good care of themselves for the 10/15 years of their career. After that they are welcome to do as they please.

Baw187
12-05-2017, 08:33 PM
Relax there pal, I don't see much wrong with expecting players to take care of themselves. You think Andy Murray goes out and gets pished with his pals? You think Ryan Giggs played in the Premier league till 40 by getting pished with his pals?

Personally I think footballers and athletes in general should have a bit of discipline and take good care of themselves for the 10/15 years of their career. After that they are welcome to do as they please.

That's what separates the very best from the rest but it's hardly a prerequisite for someone like Boyle who won't ever be Ronaldo.

Pete
12-05-2017, 08:44 PM
That's what separates the very best from the rest but it's hardly a prerequisite for someone like Boyle who won't ever be Ronaldo.

He might be a slightly better Martin Boyle if he didn't drink.

His choice though.

I would keep him and sign Stokes who could just punch **** out of him if he does it again.

weecounty hibby
12-05-2017, 08:54 PM
Rightio. I feel that I am one of the people who are getting called sanctimonious etc by folk. I stated that I would be sacked if I was in this situation and that I get pissed off at footballers having a different set of values than everyone else. I never said that Boyle should be sacked. But here's the thing all of this he made a mistake, hope he learns, we've all done it, no one harmed stuff etc. Guess what it is illegal it is dangerous and I'm willing to bet that some of the folk on here who are saying he's learned his lesson move on will moan like **** the next time the Huns are on TV singing anti catholic songs where their argument is also that no one actually get hurts either. Can't have that argument for one and not the other. Boyle has been a complete ******** and is a professional sportsman who was so pissed that the next day he was 3 times the legal limit.

Brightside
12-05-2017, 08:57 PM

Its a huge reason why british players are in general pish compared to european players.

bigwheel
12-05-2017, 08:59 PM
Rightio. I feel that I am one of the people who are getting called sanctimonious etc by folk. I stated that I would be sacked if I was in this situation and that I get pissed off at footballers having a different set of values than everyone else. I never said that Boyle should be sacked. But here's the thing all of this he made a mistake, hope he learns, we've all done it, no one harmed stuff etc. Guess what it is illegal it is dangerous and I'm willing to bet that some of the folk on here who are saying he's learned his lesson move on will moan like **** the next time the Huns are on TV singing anti catholic songs where their argument is also that no one actually get hurts either. Can't have that argument for one and not the other. Boyle has been a complete ******** and is a professional sportsman who was so pissed that the next day he was 3 times the legal limit.

People get all that...and he has to pay the penalty..and maybe even Hibs might let him leave....but can you honestly say you have never done it? I did when I was young...drove the morning after, likely over the limit...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Baw187
12-05-2017, 09:02 PM
Its a huge reason why british players are in general pish compared to european players.

Completely agree. But if you're a player like Boyle, at this stage in your career, then you know your level. And at Boyle's level, a few jars here and there ain't going to make a jot of difference.

As long as it doesn't impact the build up to a game or training. But don't get in your motor the morning after!

Sir David Gray
12-05-2017, 09:09 PM
Very foolish but I do have slightly more sympathy if it's true that it happened the morning after he had been drinking.

I think a lot of people who would never dream of driving home straight after a night out would say that they could have been over the limit the next again morning.

It still doesn't make it right and it's correct that he's been punished but I just hope he learns from it and he will never do such a thing again.

wookie70
12-05-2017, 09:19 PM
He would have been under the limit if he had been driving in England. 80mg/100 for the rest of UK That is the limit for blood not breath. He would be over in any part of the UK and pretty much the whole of Europe. It would also be high enough to be a ban in Europe and not just a fine.

Boyle has made a mistake. Driving is not part of his work so as long as he can make it to training and games then he would probably be ok. As he doesn't have a contract then I suspect the club may take a view on whether this type of behaviour would be a concern to us as a community club and our reputation as a whole.

oldbutdim
12-05-2017, 09:28 PM
Taxi for Squirrel.

pedroorange1875
12-05-2017, 09:30 PM

Absolutely agree..he is just not entitled to drive pished...its disgraceful even in non sanctimonious language...i don't care about the moral high ground...reality in the cold light of day is that he should be sacked then he can go out of the spotlight and enjoy the same rules as the rest of us that are not rapid and can run past a defender easy...the law is the law for everyone...as are the consequences...or at least they should be

Babyshamble
12-05-2017, 09:34 PM
He's made a huge mistake,which he's admitted to.hes been punished.everybody deserves a second chance.its done & been dealt with.time to move on.

hibee316
12-05-2017, 09:35 PM
So there are 3 or 4 folk on this thread saying people are totally over-reacting.

...and a few of these folk have also admitted to drink driving themselves.

Blackpool Hibs, squashed frogg;
I think we should be thankful he is getting a hard time. If he wasn't then more people would do it, in my opinion.

Give it a few weeks and this will be in the past, but hopefully the reaction of everyone at this time will be enough for him to realise how big a mistake he has made.

If we went down your route, and we just said "ach, he will learn his lesson", and no one was outraged, then he might slip back into that behaviour.

He made a grovelling apology online because he knows he has made a mistake, and it is confirmed by the reaction of the community around him.

Stokes assault IS different; we are all aware of how bad it was, and what a total idiot he is for doing it. He sounds like a total arse to be honest. And the hypocrisy from fans is jarring. If he hadn't been a popular footballer for us, I'm not sure anyone here would liked to have shared his company when he was drunk.

But, getting in a vehicle thinking we are all right doesnt automatically make you an idiot. As you said, it is something that can happen if people are not careful enough.

Yet, it is incredibly dangerous.

And I think people should quite rightly be called out publicly on it to reduce it happening again.

It was socially acceptable years back to be hungover driving, people didn't see it as a problem. Yet it costs lives.

In my opinion, you can call people out for being sanctimonious, but I for one am glad people are in this case.

supermcginn
12-05-2017, 09:37 PM
He's made a huge mistake,which he's admitted to.hes been punished.everybody deserves a second chance.its done & been dealt with.time to move on.

Maybe this is the reason hibs weren't sure about renewing his contract, st johnstone are desperate to sign him

JimBHibees
12-05-2017, 09:39 PM

Totally agree a bit of perspectives please.

RoYO!
12-05-2017, 09:41 PM
Love all the "sanctimony of some/ whiter than white" chat. Like people are seriously trying to points score.

Emmm..... no. Just don't drive whilst under the influence. That's all. Simple really. Doesn't need defended in any way.

Mikey09
12-05-2017, 09:41 PM
Boyle has been punished by the courts, quite rightly, for his actions and has been very apologetic. He's made a huge mistake but some are getting a bit carried away wanting him sacked. I would have understood if he had hurt someone else or worse but he didn't. Silly lad but let's not hang him out to dry ffs.

Niffy
12-05-2017, 09:44 PM
I'm more surprised to find out he lives just along the road from me.
Not invited to the house warming. Huh.

RoYO!
12-05-2017, 09:49 PM
If the courts have been involved the club will always take some action- it may not be publicised, it may involve a chat all the way up to dismissal, but I don't think they'd ever just right it off as "finished" once the court has passed sentence.

12-05-2017, 10:14 PM
I think he should be given a second chance. He made an extremely stupid mistake and was very lucky not to have caused an accident. He's been punished, has apologised and no doubt will receive a further punishment from the club (if his contract is renewed).

What he needs to do now is steer clear of the pub and when he gets back from holiday he has to just knuckle down, work hard in pre-season and focus on his football.

Maybe he should be made to visit some schools and do a few talks about the dangers of drink driving.

SMAXXA
12-05-2017, 10:25 PM
It's not for us to judge him he's made a mistake a really stupid one and lucky it wasn't worse outcome but he's been punished and that should be that for me. Everyone makes mistakes he deserves a second chance imo.

Hopefully he knuckles down signs a new deal with us and keeps progressing his career, with people talking about his football not his off field stuff.

Andy74
12-05-2017, 10:25 PM

Giggs has regularly said that in his 20s he was out drinking. He changed his routine later in his career.

Giggs also famously had to tell Ronaldo off for drinking fizzy soft drinks at breakfast.

Let's not pretend they've all lived like saints all their days.

Peevemor
12-05-2017, 10:35 PM
I've been thinking about this tonight. A few points -

Boyle isn't employed to drive, his job is to play football. I don't know why he should be sacked.

I occasionally have to drive to do my job, but if I lost my licence I definitely wouldn't/couldn't be sacked.

Boyle's has a good run of form since the Dunfermline match. Coincidence?

I can't think of anyone I know who likes a drink and has a licence who hasn't pushed their luck in this respect. I know some serial offenders and there are also those like myself who, have driven "the day after" while feeling a bit off-centre - albeit extremely rarely.

pacorosssco
13-05-2017, 12:12 AM
Giggs has regularly said that in his 20s he was out drinking. He changed his routine later in his career.

Giggs also famously had to tell Ronaldo off for drinking fizzy soft drinks at breakfast.

Let's not pretend they've all lived like saints all their days.

Yes many played like gods with a drink. Wonder if Ronaldo told giggs off for fizzing in brothers wife:)

OsloHibs
13-05-2017, 02:21 AM

Some of us on here live everyday with the devastation that drink drivers have caused on our life.

Joe6-2
13-05-2017, 02:47 AM
Some of us on here live everyday with the devastation that drink drivers have caused on our life.

This is what these selfish idiots do to people, they don't set out to do it, but this could be the consequences

SeanWilson
13-05-2017, 04:01 AM

I'm sure you/they do. I'm not and never would condone drink driving.... however, most adults will admit (possibly in a quiet room and to themselves) to having jumped in the car the morning after.

Not big, not clever - it happens.

ColinNish
13-05-2017, 06:12 AM
Weird how its ok to make a mistake with drink but loads on here wanted Insall sacked for a drugs charge which he refutes.

jgl07
13-05-2017, 06:40 AM
I kinda don't "feel for him". I've no sympathy whatsoever for him, or drunk drivers in general. Neither do police officers, fire crews and ambulance staff who have to deal with the carnage caused by drunk drivers.

Apparently nearly one in six fatal road accidents involve drink. That can't be taken to imply that they were 'caused' by drink.

That leaves us with the chilling thought that over five out of six fatal road accidents are caused by sober drivers!

Jay
13-05-2017, 07:29 AM
How much alcohol are we talking here? Not that im condoning it in the slightest and ignorance is no excuse but the limit is so low now im wondering what it would take to make you that much over the limit these days. How would 3 times over the limit in scotland compare to England? Maybe a lesson to many?

Since90+2
13-05-2017, 07:51 AM
:aok: Couldn't have put it better myself. Running onto the pitch at Hampden half-jaked seems perfectly acceptable however.

Aye, because running onto a football pitch to celebrate is similar to driving a 2 ton machine at speed whilst still under the influence of alcohol :faf:

blackpoolhibs
13-05-2017, 08:21 AM

If Boyle was drinking and driving every week, just like the huns singing their songs every week, i'm pretty sure the response to his actions would be completely different?

Albanian Hibs
13-05-2017, 09:10 AM

I wish I was as perfect as you

Aldo
13-05-2017, 09:11 AM
How much alcohol are we talking here? Not that im condoning it in the slightest and ignorance is no excuse but the limit is so low now im wondering what it would take to make you that much over the limit these days. How would 3 times over the limit in scotland compare to England? Maybe a lesson to many?

Drink drive limit used to be 35 and in Scotland was dropped to 21.

If it had remained the same he would have been nearly double.

That's a fair amount the morning after.

JimBHibees
13-05-2017, 09:18 AM
I'm more surprised to find out he lives just along the road from me.
Not invited to the house warming. Huh.

Maybe you could offer to give him a lift from now on. :greengrin

BoomtownHibees
13-05-2017, 09:18 AM
Drink drive limit used to be 35 and in Scotland was dropped to 21.

If it had remained the same he would have been nearly double.

That's a fair amount the morning after.

Is it though? Are we no talking about 3 or 4 pints taking you to 3 times over the limit?

Taking the fact of it being the morning after are we maybe looking at him having maybe 6 or 7 pints the night before?? Not a huge amount on a night out really.

JimBHibees
13-05-2017, 09:21 AM
Is it though? Are we no talking about 3 or 4 pints taking you to 3 times over the limit?

Taking the fact of it being the morning after are we maybe looking at him having maybe 6 or 7 pints the night before?? Not a huge amount on a night out really.

Would surely need to be more than that if 3 times over in the morning.

J-C
13-05-2017, 09:24 AM
I'm sure you/they do. I'm not and never would condone drink driving.... however, most adults will admit (possibly in a quiet room and to themselves) to having jumped in the car the morning after.

There's no exact science as to when it's safe the morning after to drive your car, it used to be 1 hour for every drink you've had after you stop drinking. The big problem with this is everyone is different, as yet we don't know how long after he stopped drinking did he then drive his car, he obviously genuinely thought he was ok to drive, you'd be surprised the number of people driving cars after a night out are very close to being over the limit.

Aldo
13-05-2017, 09:25 AM
Is it though? Are we no talking about 3 or 4 pints taking you to 3 times over the limit? Taking the fact of it being the morning after are we maybe looking at him having maybe 6 or 7 pints the night before?? Not a huge amount on a night out really.

3 or 4 pints could but there are many other things to factor in. What you've had to eat, how much sleep you've had and how your body or metabolism breaks things down. It could also depend on what your drinking and the alcohol content.

You could have a pint and be over one day and a pint and be under the next. Best thing to do is just don't do it!

blackpoolhibs
13-05-2017, 09:26 AM
Would surely need to be more than that if 3 times over in the morning.

I'd imagine it all depended on what time he finished drinking, and what time he went to bed then got up and into his car?

I had 5 pints last night, and went to bed about 10.30. I have no idea if i am ok to drive now? :confused:

JimBHibees
13-05-2017, 09:34 AM
I'd imagine it all depended on what time he finished drinking, and what time he went to bed then got up and into his car?

I had 5 pints last night, and went to bed about 10.30. I have no idea if i am ok to drive now? :confused:

Agree depends on circumstances but to be 3 times over in the morning would surely need to be a heavy night.

BoomtownHibees
13-05-2017, 09:36 AM
Agree depends on circumstances but to be 3 times over in the morning would surely need to be a heavy night.

No if he didn't stop drinking until 3 or 4 then got in his car at say 8

OsloHibs
13-05-2017, 09:40 AM

And this is why I'm so happy to live in a country with the most strict drink drive laws in Europe. Anyone caught over 0.2 goes to jail. Zero excuses and zero tolerance.

JimBHibees
13-05-2017, 09:46 AM
No if he didn't stop drinking until 3 or 4 then got in his car at say 8

Agree if that is the case very stupid.

bigwheel
13-05-2017, 09:48 AM

As a rule of thumb - It takes 2 hours for your system to breakdown each pint

Phil MaGlass
13-05-2017, 09:52 AM
Still drives me nuts that so called professional players drink.

ColinNish
13-05-2017, 09:59 AM
Still drives me nuts that so called professional players drink.

Gotta agree with that. 👍🏻

SquashedFrogg
13-05-2017, 10:12 AM
Aye, because running onto a football pitch to celebrate is similar to driving a 2 ton machine at speed whilst still under the influence of alcohol :faf:

If you think I was comparing both incidents in terms of consequence then you've clearly missed the point :aok:

MB62
13-05-2017, 11:11 AM
From his facebook page

If he genuinely learns from this and doesn't do it again, then it's a lesson well learned.

Let those without sin!

WeeRussell
13-05-2017, 11:35 AM
If you think I was comparing both incidents in terms of consequence then you've clearly missed the point :aok:

I've missed your point too. What is it?

lucky
13-05-2017, 11:49 AM
What clown but as others have said it's a risk to many take the next morning. Not sure what grounds that people think he can be dismissed on? He made a mistake and has been punished I'm not sure what Hibs can do.

Hibs90
13-05-2017, 11:57 AM
I hope Martin stays, as he is a good player. He's made a mistake and he accepts it. Time to move on from the situation.

silverhibee
13-05-2017, 12:46 PM

Well, if you do decide to drive and get caught, don't be stupid enough to get a 3-2 selfie with the polis, you'll be jailed for that. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
13-05-2017, 12:51 PM
Well, if you do decide to drive and get caught, don't be stupid enough to get a 3-2 selfie with the polis, you'll be jailed for that. :greengrin

:greengrin

CMurdoch
13-05-2017, 01:47 PM
Everyone including Boyle agrees what he has done was wrong.
Fortunately for the world and him his actions have only impacted on his own life.
He is only 24 and hopefully this will make him consider whether a professional athlete should be drinking the amount of alcohol he has in the past.
He will get his arse kicked by the management who will emphasise the same point as well as the parallel with players like Luke McCormack if the outcome had been different.
Talk of sacking him is inappropriate in this case and if he is a decent guy this event will help him to make better life decisions in the future.

Scouse Hibee
13-05-2017, 01:51 PM
As a rule of thumb - It takes 2 hours for your system to breakdown each pint

I prefer the 1 unit per hour rule to be on the safe side. Strength of pints can vary greatly.

Andy74
13-05-2017, 02:47 PM
Weird how its ok to make a mistake with drink but loads on here wanted Insall sacked for a drugs charge which he refutes.

One is to do with sport and the other not. Players are tested for use of drugs.

Oh, and Insall is rubbish and Boyle is doing a job.

Supporting those doing good jobs is better than trying to support folk that will never be up to it anyway.

blackpoolhibs
13-05-2017, 04:12 PM
Managed to navigate to tesco's for a pint of milk and back, i live life in the fast lane these days.

BSEJVT
13-05-2017, 04:39 PM

And that for many is the $64,000 question?

Not something I would ever do and if I felt remotely under the influence wouldn't do it, but is it as simple as x drinks the night before means no driving until y o'clock or at all the next day?

I had 3 1/2 pints last night stopping at 11 had 2 diet cokes and in bed by 12.00

Drove at 9.30 today and never gave it a second thought should I have? :confused:

hibee316
13-05-2017, 04:47 PM
Managed to navigate to tesco's for a pint of milk and back, i live life in the fast lane these days.

Wait a minute, you said earlier today that you had no idea if you were over the limit to drive today or not.

Not sure if you are taking the p*ss or not. :confused:

blackpoolhibs
13-05-2017, 04:48 PM
And that for many is the $64,000 question?

Not something I would ever do and if I felt remotely under the influence wouldn't do it, but is it as simple as x drinks the night before means no driving until y o'clock or at all the next day?

I had 3 1/2 pints last night stopping at 11 had 2 diet cokes and in bed by 12.00

Drove at 9.30 today and never gave it a second thought should I have? :confused:

The straight answer is i dont know but you are probably ok? What Boyle did was a lot worse than that, and if truth be known he probably realised it or at best didn't even think about it.

I'd bet each and every one of us who likes a drink has at some time or another driven the day after a drink and probably been either over the limit or borderline.

I know i certainly have.

Doesnt make it right, but he's had his punishment.

hibee316
13-05-2017, 04:56 PM
I'd bet each and every one of us who likes a drink has at some time or another driven the day after a drink and probably been either over the limit or borderline.

I know i certainly have.

In my opinion, that is idiotic behaviour.

Andy74
13-05-2017, 05:57 PM

Most of us are idiots then. Unless we get in at 3 or 4 I'd bet it's largely not given a second thought next day.

Scouse Hibee
13-05-2017, 06:04 PM
I always do a rough unit calculation then add a few hours to be safe. I will leave the car if the time when I would normally drive the car has come too early.

Andy74
13-05-2017, 06:22 PM
At a rough estimate if you have a bottle of wine to yourself on a Saturday night ending when Match of the Day is done the car shouldn't be touched until 11 the next morning.

Fair play to those that stick to that.

hibee316
13-05-2017, 09:11 PM
Most of us are idiots then. Unless we get in at 3 or 4 I'd bet it's largely not given a second thought next day.

I'm not sure how you could make that claim other than for yourself, or for people who have disclosed this information that you know.

Golden Bear
13-05-2017, 09:15 PM
I'm not sure how you could make that claim other than for yourself, or for people who have disclosed this information that you know.

Times have changed and to a certain extent it's a generation thing. The thought of getting stopped first thing in the morning has only become a reality over say the last 15 years.

blackpoolhibs
14-05-2017, 12:01 AM

Im an idiot then, just got in since being out since 5.30, couldnt tell you how many pints i've had, but im up early for the london to brighton rally, hope i dont kill anyone early doors while im still over the limit.

Forza Fred
14-05-2017, 12:28 AM

My views exactly.

Nobody condones drink driving, but he's been dealt with and appears remorseful.

Forza Fred
14-05-2017, 12:36 AM
Im an idiot then, just got in since being out since 5.30, couldnt tell you how many pints i've had, but im up early for the london to brighton rally, hope i dont kill anyone early doors while im still over the limit.

Maybe not a factor in Boyle's case but when working I was subject to the possibility of drug/
Alcohol testing daily..but was just not exactly sure what was in my system when I started.

Usually breathalysed about 7-30am when they started, so if being out for dinner the night before I had to impose a lemonade after 7-30pm rule.

My legal limit was zero, yep zero, so even though I changed my lifestyle considerably, there was still the feeling of apprehension when asked to count to ten early in the morning.

Always passed ok, but dunno by how much.

Dunno if one more drink would have got me sacked and criminally charged, or if I could have had a wine with dinner.

Retired now, so don't have to worry anymore.

pacorosssco
14-05-2017, 03:12 AM
Times have changed and to a certain extent it's a generation thing. The thought of getting stopped first thing in the morning has only become a reality over say the last 15 years.

Yes even a few pints can see you over limit next morning. Few busy bees on road now to enforce but day after catches many out who arent meaning to be offenders.

SRHibs
14-05-2017, 04:17 AM

Jesus...

California-Hibs
14-05-2017, 05:25 AM

Wow..

Brightside
14-05-2017, 06:21 AM

I hope you get jailed.

RoxburghHibs
14-05-2017, 06:31 AM

Poor show

Scouse Hibee
14-05-2017, 06:44 AM

Caught a few :-)

Beefster
14-05-2017, 06:46 AM
Good to be reminded that, for every drink driver that gets caught, there are loads more out there putting other folk in danger, I suppose.

Since90+2
14-05-2017, 06:55 AM
Caught a few :-)

Given that there is a good chance that some members of this forum may have had their lives impacted by the effects of drink driving it's not in particularly good taste to make crass comments in order to "catch a few :)" .

SRHibs
14-05-2017, 07:01 AM
Given that there is a good chance that some members of this forum may have had their lives impacted by the effects of drink driving it's not in particularly good taste to make crass comments in order to "catch a few :)" .

"Hibs class" eh.

Pretty Boy
14-05-2017, 07:04 AM
This has all gotten a bit silly hasn't it?

At least one person needs to consider their idea of a joke imho.

Thread closed.