12-05-2017, 01:27 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/7542

heretoday
12-05-2017, 01:28 PM
Thank you, Mr Holt. You did well.

DarlingtonHibee
12-05-2017, 01:29 PM

Mixed one with Holt, we can only trust in Lenny.

RSS Bot
12-05-2017, 01:30 PM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/7542)

Andy74
12-05-2017, 01:30 PM
Would have liked Holt to stay.

woodythehibee
12-05-2017, 01:31 PM
No surprises, but sad to see Holt leave. He offered a lot to the team (on and off the park).

Need a similar type of striker next season.

worcesterhibby
12-05-2017, 01:31 PM
interesting that Holt is away. I wonder if that is because he want's to hang up his boots or because Lennon feels he needs to get someone who will score more goals to replace him. I'm hoping the latter as it would be more positive..Any way good luck to GH..he didn't score as many as I hoped he would, but has put in some terrific shifts and been an integral part of the team that got us promoted.

JohnM1875
12-05-2017, 01:32 PM
I'll definitely miss Holt. Thought he was amazing is all of our big games and loved how he got under the oppositions skin. And he didn't take any bull**** from ref's either!

CockneyRebel
12-05-2017, 01:32 PM

I thought Dunsmore was highly rated?

nellio
12-05-2017, 01:33 PM
Thought we might have offered Holt an extension. Always hoped Harris could live up to his potential as well. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets picked up by a good championship side like Falkirk etc.

hibee_girl
Only one that's maybe a surprise is Holt, I'd have given him another year

Brightside
interesting that Holt is away. I wonder if that is because he want's to hang up his boots or because Lennon feels he needs to get someone who will score more goals to replace him. I'm hoping the latter as it would be more positive..Any way good luck to GH..he didn't score as many as I hoped he would, but has put in some terrific shifts and been an integral part of the team that got us promoted.

Holt had an offer from us.

Don Giovanni

Thought Holt might have stayed as his overall play was useful, even if his goal total was diappointing.

The rest were squad fillers and made little impact. We'll need space (wages) to add the necessary quality to the squad.

Good luck to the released players (unless they line-up against the Cabbage)

MWHIBBIES
12-05-2017, 01:36 PM
Done a turn for us this season. His experience and class showed through and he was vital in many important wins.

Waxy
12-05-2017, 01:37 PM
Thanks to Grant Holt. Harris will be one of these late developing players i reckon.

hibee92
12-05-2017, 01:38 PM
Would've liked holt to stay. Best of luck to the big man

B.H.F.C
12-05-2017, 01:38 PM
Always thought Holt was in to do a job for us in the championship and would move on this year. Ironically his two best games, by some distance IMO, were against Hearts and the sheep.

No real surprises for me.

overdrive
12-05-2017, 01:43 PM
Good luck to him. I would have liked him to have stayed, not necessarily as a starter every week though.

.Sean.
12-05-2017, 01:43 PM
Disappointed Holt is away tbh

GreenCastle
12-05-2017, 01:45 PM
Loved Holt and was a key part of us winning the league.

Yes he didn't score as many as we had hoped but his link up play - coaching and help to others during games - presence and experience were massive to the team.

He scored some important goals including the yams cup game and changed the game in the semi final - you could argue he should have started.

Good luck to the guy - another year would have been great but family down south and he's back and forth to see them a lot.

Thanks for helping us get promoted :thumbsup:

col02
12-05-2017, 01:46 PM
Good luck to all the departing players. I'll miss Holt as I liked him as a player. He contributed a lot more than just goals. Few characters have left Hibs hopefully it is not only ability that is replaced but personality also.

NAE NOOKIE
12-05-2017, 01:48 PM
I'm not too fussed that Holt has gone, he made a decent contribution to our promotion effort and the personal effort was always there, but in all honesty the guy was blowing oot his erchie after 70 minutes in most of the games he played in, which is the only reason Graham got so many games from the subs bench.

If we hope to make a dent in the premiership we are going to need pace and stamina neither of which Holt has IMO .... even for a target man, noiser up of the opposition, whatever you want to call him, Holt's goals return was pretty dreadful for a guy who had played at the level he has for most of his career ..... we need better now.

Having said all that, I wish him all the best ... he helped return us to the top league so he can be satisfied with the job he has done.

The Leith Dutch
12-05-2017, 01:49 PM
No surprises, but sad to see Holt leave. He offered a lot to the team (on and off the park).

Need a similar type of striker next season.

Completely agree.

The last bit is crucial - I'd actually say that as things currently stand (with the possible exception of the 'keeper situation) finding a centre forward who can bully the opposition as effectively as Holt should be our number one signing priority.

I've not seen enough of Boyce's all round play - anyone got opinions on whether he has that ability in his locker?

CMurdoch
12-05-2017, 01:50 PM
Didn't think I would be bothered about Holt leaving given his age and lack of goals.
However I now feel a little bad, he gave his all, played a lot of games and did some great work in defence as well as doing all the dirty work up front to take that load off Cummings.
Fairly sure Cummings will have benefited from his experienced head and i suspect some gruff words.
Has been a good signing and he has more than paid his way.
Good luck Grant.

GreenNWhiteArmy
12-05-2017, 01:52 PM
Gutted about big Holty. Offered a lot more than goals alone. Hope NL has a similar type of player coming in.

Wondering if this means that Boyle and Fyvie will be staying then?

HTD1875
12-05-2017, 01:53 PM
Gutted about Holt, seemed a charismatic proffesional to have in the dressing room. Think he's really helped Cummings with his link up play and advice.

Turned up in the big games and had a lot to give on the playing side too.

wish him all the best.

#persevered
12-05-2017, 01:55 PM
Yeah gutted holt is away - he turned up for the big games, the better the opposition, the better he looked. Think he would have done well in the prem.

Hopefully means we have a replacement lined up.

Thecat23
12-05-2017, 01:57 PM
Holt wanted to be closer to his family.

MB62
12-05-2017, 02:00 PM
Not unhappy to see ANY of them leave.
If Holt spent as much time trying to play fitba as he did wrestling with defenders, he might have been a more effective player.
A forward who doesn't score goals is as hopeless as a goalie who doesn't save shots.
Done the biz against the Yams and possible MOTM in the semi-final, but that's not enough for me. Definitely a 'Marmite' player, you either love him or hate (obviously not hate, but you know what I mean :greengrin) him.

NAE NOOKIE
12-05-2017, 02:01 PM
Completely agree.

The last bit is crucial - I'd actually say that as things currently stand (with the possible exception of the 'keeper situation) finding a centre forward who can bully the opposition as effectively as Holt should be our number one signing priority.

I've not seen enough of Boyce's all round play - anyone got opinions on whether he has that ability in his locker?

I've said it before, so I'm not having a go at you LD ...... But at what point did it become imperative that this club has to have a big bruiser up front to batter away at the opposition?

Most of the best Hibs teams I have seen didn't need a player like that, I would much rather see two or 3 pacey forwards with at least one good in the air because of his ability to jump rather than because he's built like the incredible hulk .... Allan Gordon was built like the guy who advertised Mr Muscle but he was great in the air ...... Eric Black at Aberdeen was fantastic in the air, but he wasn't a bruiser either.

If we go for a big lump up front to partner whoever our other forwards turn out to be I wont complain about it, but I would much rather see our goals scored with style and invention than because some journeyman pro has been deployed up front to knock over the opposition centre half.

wookie70
12-05-2017, 02:03 PM
Not a fan of his play but seemed a great lad and can't fault his effort or character. Best of luck in the future big fellow

BegbieHSC
12-05-2017, 02:06 PM
If Holt spent as much time trying to play fitba as he did wrestling with defenders, he might have been a more effective player.
A forward who doesn't score goals is as hopeless as a goalie who doesn't save shots.
Done the biz against the Yams and possible MOTM in the semi-final, but that's not enough for me. Definitely a 'Marmite' player, you either love him or hate (obviously not hate, but you know what I mean :greengrin) him.

Mario Mandzukic at Juve plays exactly the same role and is one of the main reasons they're in the Champions League Final. Battered Messi/Neymar out the game in the quarter finals.

Got a lot of time for defensive, battling forwards and I'm gutted to see Holt go! A striker willing to play that kind of role is very hard to come by.

Contributed alot when it mattered! Good luck in the future, Holty!

weecounty hibby
12-05-2017, 02:10 PM
Best of luck to Holt in the future. I liked him and he played his part in getting us back up as well as a decent defence of our cup. Not surprised at any of the other departures. Good luck to them all but if we are to continue forward as a club we need better

SirDavidsNapper
12-05-2017, 02:11 PM
He's effort was never in question and that's all I ask from a Hibs player. Always be welcome at Easter Road.

MB62
12-05-2017, 02:13 PM
I've said it before, so I'm not having a go at you LD ...... But at what point did it become imperative that this club has to have a big bruiser up front to batter away at the opposition?

Most of the best Hibs teams I have seen didn't need a player like that, I would much rather see two or 3 pacey forwards with at least one good in the air because of his ability to jump rather than because he's built like the incredible hulk .... Allan Gordon was built like the guy who advertised Mr Muscle but he was great in the air ...... Eric Black at Aberdeen was fantastic in the air, but he wasn't a bruiser either.

If we go for a big lump up front to partner whoever our other forwards turn out to be I wont complain about it, but I would much rather see our goals scored with style and invention than because some journeyman pro has been deployed up front to knock over the opposition centre half.

:agree: :top marks

Geo_1875
12-05-2017, 02:13 PM
A good guy and a very good forward who helped us get promoted. He'll need replaced as a big guy up front is always a good option to have.

Pedantic_Hibee
12-05-2017, 02:14 PM
Thank you, Grant Holt.

scoopyboy
12-05-2017, 02:18 PM
It's always a bit disappointing when someone who done a turn moves on.

It's evolution, players have to move on so others can come in.

Same at all clubs.

bigwheel
12-05-2017, 02:20 PM
i like the way Hibs worded that article - announcing the departures. Respectful to each player...

Good luck to them all! A few will be remembered very fondly...

The Leith Dutch
12-05-2017, 02:24 PM

I probably put it a little strongly :D

In my time watching Hibs - mid 80s or so - we've had our moments and some really good teams.
We've had some good strikers too.

But we've had long periods of not being that great.
Sometimes it's the really bad times like Calderclown and Butcher where you can't really pick on any one thing because basically pretty much everything is wrong - formation, players, gameplan the works.

But then there's the other times when I feel we've got a pretty good team overall but we're physically mismatched.
I see a midfield that's all around 5'8".
I see our strikers get shoved around by the opposition.

My abiding memories of many of the defeats by hearts is getting shoved around by a big physical team and I just absolutely loved having a player like Holt who was having none of that pish. Aside from it helping us to get a result in those games I feel it changes the mentality.

Difficult to explain properly but I kind of get the impression that without players like Holt doing what they do we hit this mental cycle that we back ourselves to play well but deep down feel we're going to lose.

Now as to us having to play like that I guess what I'm really saying is that I want that striker option in the squad (and Bartley too).
I want to be comfortable knowing that if we need to mix it we've got centre backs, a midfielder and a forward that will not be shoved around by anyone.

I agree that I wouldn't want to transform the club into a physical team but in the derbys especially I feel we need that option and if I think about what we have at the club and what I feel we need at the club a physical centre forward is one of the big things we now lack.

Maybe a "bully" is the wrong word - and Holt certainly got dragged into the physical side sometimes to the detriment of the putting the ball in the net side - but someone who won't take any crap like Paatelainen in McCleish's side is maybe more what I'm thinking about.

Basildon Hibs
12-05-2017, 02:25 PM

This.

Unseen work
12-05-2017, 02:27 PM
Holt was offered a new contract and Lennon wanted him to stay, wasn't a case of he wasn't wanted.

Only one I'm unsure of is Humphrey, could whip in a good ball and provided a good number of assists and not bad goals considering his clear lack of fitness.

Maybe he just isn't a fit lad and that's why he's left as Lennon needs reliable player.

hibs supporter
12-05-2017, 02:29 PM
Who else is left now who is out of contract

Nakedmanoncrack
12-05-2017, 02:30 PM
No surprises really, Holt always put the effort in, and the quality player he was when younger could be glimpsed, but another year older & heavier he was unlikely to be more effective next season.

The Sundance Kid
Who else is left now who is out of contract

Fontaine, Fyvie and Boyle

CMurdoch
Of the out of contract players we are only waiting on announcements on Fyvie, Boyle and Fontaine.
Good to get all this important business sorted out so quickly.
IMO Boyle will sign, Fyvie disappointingly won't, and the Fontaine new contract is probably tied to Ambrose signing or not signing.

CMurdoch
12-05-2017, 02:33 PM
Holt was offered a new contract and Lennon wanted him to stay, wasn't a case of he wasn't wanted.

Only one I'm unsure of is Humphrey, could whip in a good ball and provided a good number of assists and not bad goals considering his clear lack of fitness.

Maybe he just isn't a fit lad and that's why he's left as Lennon needs reliable player.

Injury prone players are no use to Hibs.
Hopefully only McGeogh now falls into that category.

GreenLake
12-05-2017, 02:33 PM
Good luck to Holt on his next move. He will be missed on and off the pitch.

ekhibee
12-05-2017, 02:36 PM
Done a turn for us this season. His experience and class showed through and he was vital in many important wins.
Agree totally. We'll miss the experience he had, so many people underestimated his importance to the team. He's probably thinking along the lines of coaching now.

The_Exile
12-05-2017, 02:36 PM
It's great to see movement early in relation to players coming/going, frees up space in the wage budget early doors.

Slavers
12-05-2017, 02:37 PM
A big thank you from me to Grant Holt for his efforts wearing the Hibs Jersey. Pity we got him so late in his career but he def played his part during a successful season.

He terrorized the Jambos everytime he played them and scored he against them! So for that he is remembered fondly and will be welcomed back to Easter Road anytime!

But this decision for him to leave is the best one for all, he would have been a bit part player next year so prob best he moves on.

All the best Holty! Top man!!

CMurdoch
12-05-2017, 02:42 PM
It's great to see movement early in relation to players coming/going, frees up space in the wage budget early doors.

If the other 3 out of contract players are sorted out in the next few days Lennon will be able to see exactly what players he has and how many he needs to bring in.
The only possible flies in the ointment could be Cummings and McGinn if they leave late in the window. Sunderland appear keen on Cummings although their supporters are less so.

Zazu62
12-05-2017, 02:46 PM
So would imagine fyvie,Boyle,Fontaine will all sign new deals ?

essexhibee
12-05-2017, 02:49 PM
Holt wanted to be closer to his family.

Suspected as much had previously I had posted previously thought would leave because of that reason. Judging by his social media posts he found it tough being so far away.

The Leith Dutch
12-05-2017, 02:50 PM

Spot on. Massive change in how these things are played out for us now.
Not even mid May and we have one in, most of the out of contract players sorted and it sounds like we're progressing the other deals we're interested in.

Ozyhibby
12-05-2017, 02:50 PM
No surprises there. Good luck to them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frazeHFC
12-05-2017, 02:56 PM
Gutted to see Holt go. If we don't feel he is good enough for us in the Prem at his age then I suppose it's good we have the ambitions to bring in better strikers, but he put in a good shift all season and particularly the last 10 or so games.

TelaStella
12-05-2017, 02:57 PM
shame about Holt. Took me ages to take to him but by the later part of the season he was somebody I would have liked to stay around for at least another year. Truth is though next season we're going to be needing somebody capable of scoring more than 7 in 40 games, cant deny that. Humphrey could of been the winger we've been needing for a long time but the injury problems are too great sadly. shame about Harris too, will always remember him for that semi! best of luck to them all.

Topographic Hibby
12-05-2017, 02:58 PM
Good luck to them all. Like others, would have liked a season in the top league from Holt, but if he wants closer to home, so be it. Thanks for everything this season big lad :greengrin

Spike Mandela
12-05-2017, 02:58 PM
Thanks for your efforts one and all.

Clearing the decks for Lennon to squad build, can't say I'm surprised or disappointed with any of the departures. A younger version of Holt, more mobile and more goals would be nice though..:greengrin

greenpaper55
12-05-2017, 03:04 PM

Ibrahimovic is a big lump and is superb , a big strong forward gives you an out ball when all else fails, if it's good enough for Man United it's good enough for me.

Lago
12-05-2017, 03:05 PM
Well with Holt gone & speculation that Graham is bound for St. Johnstone along with increased rumors re Cummings it will be interesting to see who will be coming in. Something concrete sooner rather than later would be good.

1van Sprou7e
12-05-2017, 03:22 PM
So would imagine fyvie,Boyle,Fontaine will all sign new deals ?

I'm sure Boyle will sign, hope the others do too but we might see them go off in search of a guaranteed starting spot

staunchhibby
12-05-2017, 03:39 PM
All the best holty

MWHIBBIES
12-05-2017, 03:42 PM
I'm sure Boyle will sign, hope the others do too but we might see them go off in search of a guaranteed starting spotI'll be really pissed off if we let Fyvie go and have Bartley as the starter. Fyvie is a much better football and offers far more.

kevo1875
12-05-2017, 03:48 PM
I hope we manage to get a similar type striker in to replace Holt...loved the way he bullied them in the two cup games ..good luck grant and thank u very much

CMurdoch
12-05-2017, 03:52 PM
I'll be really pissed off if we let Fyvie go and have Bartley as the starter. Fyvie is a much better football and offers far more.

I think we need them both as they offer different benefits which is useful if you need to change tactics during a match

The Leith Dutch
12-05-2017, 03:53 PM
I'll be really pissed off if we let Fyvie go and have Bartley as the starter. Fyvie is a much better football and offers far more.

Said it before - two different players.

Bartley isn't in the side to use the ball aside from making simple passes to the other midfielders.
He's there to get the ball off the opposition and he is exceptionally good at it.
He's the kind of player the opposition have nightmares about playing and we're lucky to have him.

I rate both Fyvie and Bartley highly though I doubt I'd play them both in the same starting XI.

Gordy M
12-05-2017, 03:55 PM

Why would it be one or the other starting? Bartley didnt start all the games and neither did fyvie. If he does leave id imagine we would buy someone else to replace him. Lennon isnt going to have those 2 in the championship and then decide to have only one in the premier. Bartley will start games where we need a 'destroyer' as he has proved he can do that in many games but i dont think he will start every week.

calumhibee1
12-05-2017, 04:00 PM
Good luck to them all. Hope they get something sorted for next season ASAP. I'd imagine Handling and Stanton will be next to be released with Brian Graham being allowed to leave on a free to anyone that fancies him. Possibly the same with Fonts as well if we can get Ambrose tied up. Can also see Fyvie deciding to look elsewhere which along with Holt would be the only real disappointing departure for me so far.

Ilovehibs
12-05-2017, 04:07 PM
Gutted about Holt, seemed a charismatic proffesional to have in the dressing room. Think he's really helped Cummings with his link up play and advice.

Turned up in the big games and had a lot to give on the playing side too.

wish him all the best.

Agree. Will miss big Holty alot.
Thanks Grant. You gave your all to the Hibbies.

MWHIBBIES
12-05-2017, 04:08 PM
I think we need them both as they offer different benefits which is useful if you need to change tactics during a matchThat's fine but if Fyvie leaves because he is going to be back-up to Bartley that would be really worrying. If Fyvie goes he very much needs to be replaced.

lucky
12-05-2017, 04:13 PM
If only Holt was 3 years younger. We will miss his presence up front but I'm sure Lenny has replacements in mind for all the departing players

Ell_Chrisso
12-05-2017, 04:18 PM
Anyone questioning why Bartley is still around clearly didn't go to many games this year. Quietly one of our best players this season. Especially in the bigger games against Prem opposition

staunchhibby
12-05-2017, 04:23 PM
Sam is still under contract so they will have to pay up if he is released

Pedantic_Hibee
12-05-2017, 04:25 PM
Anyone questioning why Bartley is still around clearly didn't go to many games this year. Quietly one of our best players this season. Especially in the bigger games against Prem opposition

100% this. You can tell the other midfielders feel more comfortable when he's playing, they're not as risk-averse when he's there.

MWHIBBIES
12-05-2017, 04:32 PM
Anyone questioning why Bartley is still around clearly didn't go to many games this year. Quietly one of our best players this season. Especially in the bigger games against Prem oppositionMissed 3 games all season. I'm not questioning what he brings but he is also a very limited player and doesn't work as well in a 2 man midfield.

supermcginn
12-05-2017, 04:52 PM

Absolutely great player, gonna be huge for us next season!

Borderhibbie76
12-05-2017, 05:01 PM
Holt had an offer from us.
Not according to Lennon in press mate...he wasn't offered a deal due to his personal circumstances

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
12-05-2017, 05:05 PM
It's up to Fyvie if he stays....he's out of contract not much Hibs can do if he doesn't accept an offer. Imo if he doesn't wanna be here....don't let the door hit u on the way out...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Brightside
12-05-2017, 05:08 PM
Missed 3 games all season. I'm not questioning what he brings but he is also a very limited player and doesn't work as well in a 2 man midfield.

I agree....like having a man down in the majority of games this season.

The Gorf
12-05-2017, 05:11 PM
Only one that's maybe a surprise is Holt, I'd have given him another year

Agree. When I heard it on the radio Out of the six I was most surprised at Holt going. Another year would have suited me as well.

The_Horde
12-05-2017, 05:18 PM
Cheers for the efforts Turbo Titties. And for the goal against thaym.

Eyrie
12-05-2017, 06:15 PM
I didn't think Holt would be a good player for us in the top flight given his poor scoring and assists record in a lower league, so it's the right decision for him to move on and he does so with my best wishes. Grafted hard and there were a couple of games (Aberdeen, Hearts) where he was the stand out performer.

emerald green
12-05-2017, 06:15 PM
Having announced various departures from the club over the last week or so, Hibs are clearing the decks to bring in better players.

They will have to, in order to challenge at the top end of the table next season.