PDA

View Full Version : I could've been a jambo ...

Babyshamble
08-05-2017, 12:58 AM
My grandad was based in Edinburgh in WW2.he was a commando.had a day off.he went tynecastle cos it was closer to his digs.they were away that day so him & his mates padded the hoof down to Easter rd.thanks grandad 👍

SeanWilson
08-05-2017, 02:37 PM
My grandad was based in Edinburgh in WW2.he was a commando.had a day off.he went tynecastle cos it was closer to his digs.they were away that day so him & his mates padded the hoof down to Easter rd.thanks grandad 👍
My grandad was a Jambo. He was also a selfish arse hole of an alcoholic and wound my old man up that much he decided to be hibee just to spite him... thanks grandad 😜

iwasthere1972
08-05-2017, 03:25 PM
My great grandad on my father's side of the family came over from Ireland in 1840 and got married near the Cowgate in 1875. My other great grandad lived a stones throw from Easter Road and I had a great uncle called Jimmy Harrower whose namesake played in the team that won the big cup in 1902.

No chance I was ever going to be anything other than a Hibby.

southern hibby
08-05-2017, 03:47 PM
Fathers a jambo, but he's not mine as I reckon my ma was on the game when I was conceived ( well it's either admitting that or admitting I have a jambo father. Both are terrible to admit.

Joking aside my parents think it's cause we lived in Dalgety avenue when I was a nipper and used to take me round to Lochend park and I'd see everyone wearing green and white and shouting for Hibs so I did the same.

Thank God they never lived in Gorgie/Dalry.

GGTTH

hibs0666
08-05-2017, 04:09 PM
Fathers a jambo, but he's not mine as I reckon my ma was on the game when I was conceived ( well it's either admitting that or admitting I have a jambo father. Both are terrible to admit.

Joking aside my parents think it's cause we lived in Dalgety avenue when I was a nipper and used to take me round to Lochend park and I'd see everyone wearing green and white and shouting for Hibs so I did the same.

Thank God they never lived in Gorgie/Dalry.

GGTTH

Well I was brought up in the said vicinity. Never for one moment did I even consider supporting that mob of filthy ****ers. :wink:

Alan62
08-05-2017, 04:18 PM
My maternal grandfather was born above the Boundary Bar. His father dragged the bed into the Edinburgh side so that his son wouldn't be born in Leith. They were Jambos and lived a lot of their lives in Gorgie. In fact, my grandfather was a bit of a club entertainer and singer and when Hearts won the Scottish Cup in the 50s, he wrote some lyrics on the train home from the match that described their triumph in detail. He then put it to a popular tune of the time and sang it at the club's formal dinner after the hotel. He dined out on that for years.

My dad's side were Leithers and so I was always going to be a Hibby. My favourite time with my Jambo grandad was New Year's Day 1973. All day long he'd been teasing me with an annoying wee rhyme: 'around the hill the train came puffing, Hearts six, Hibs nothing', he kept saying. Well imagine his face when the highlights of the game came on the telly about 6pm. He was oot the hoose and up the road before the Scotsport theme song had finished and I had quickly adapted his crappy wee rhyme. :agree:

Smartie
08-05-2017, 04:20 PM
I could have been a Jambo but to be honest, I never really had the fingers for it.

southern hibby
08-05-2017, 04:22 PM
Well I was brought up in the said vicinity. Never for one moment did I even consider supporting that mob of filthy ****ers. :wink:

Proud of you.

GGTTH

Neil 1875
08-05-2017, 04:25 PM
My grandfaither supported Hereford united

WoreTheGreen
08-05-2017, 05:27 PM
My grandfaither supported Hereford united

My grandad was a them fan the only one in the entire familay. He was a typical self opiinionated bigot. He knew a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot His face when wee got back after the7-0 game was priceless

TT07
08-05-2017, 05:46 PM
My grandad was a them fan the only one in the entire familay. He was a typical self opiinionated bigot. He knew a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot His face when wee got back after the7-0 game was priceless

Christened in Gorgie Parish Church. Got my real chritening at ER @ 18 month old. Brought up in Shandon. Went to Tynecastle School. Lots of Jambo acquaintances. 1 Jambo mate.
NEVER VENTURED TO THE DARK SIDE.

Dashing Bob S
08-05-2017, 05:52 PM
Thank god my father wasn't attracted to my older sister, or I too would have ran that risk.

Bishop Hibee
08-05-2017, 06:01 PM
Both my grandpa's were Hibees but I know a few folk with Hearts supporting dads/granddads who support Hibs and vice versa.

08-05-2017, 07:14 PM
One of my Grandads was a loyalist proddy alcoholic bigot and the other grandad was an Irish Catholic, only met my Irish grandad and was brought up round the corner from St Patricks church and i am proud to say I am the only Hibee in my Rangers/Hearts/Celtic family

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Newcastlehibby
08-05-2017, 08:45 PM
My Mother came from Gorgie. Lovely respectable family who lived in Newton St, almost opposite Tynecastle.
My Father's family came from Leith (North Fort St) and I spent my first few years till age 7 in Drylaw on Ferry Road, just along from the Police Station.
We moved to Warriston in 1961 and in 65, my friend's Dad invited me to accompany them to Easter Road.
My old man consented and after several choruses of 'Big John' at a corner, I was hooked.

NAE NOOKIE
08-05-2017, 08:52 PM
My grandad on my mother's side was an Irish navvy from Armagh who I never met and my other grandad was from south west England, he lived in Edinburgh for decades and I first met him when he was 90 ... he still sounded like that hairy guy from time team :greengrin

Neither were into football that I'm aware of and neither were my parents ..... I discovered the Hibees all on my own :cb

Sean1875
09-05-2017, 11:21 AM
Funnily enough my first football game I ever went to as a kid was a Hearts Falkirk game in the Scottish Cup - back then I only really followed English football but my mate from Primary had a spare ticket and took me along - did absolutely nothing for me.

My Uncle whos a big Hibby took me along to a game at Easter Road a couple years later, we were a couple minutes late for the game but we scored literally the second we got into the stadium - ive been hooked ever since :greengrin

FilipinoHibs
09-05-2017, 12:06 PM
I once lived in Downfield Place - a smelly, depressing experience. I am from Hawick who play in green and hated rivals Gala played in maroon (rugbt). Father from Brasil and comes from Santos the port of Sao Paulo and saw Hibs in 50s in Rio Mother from Lisbon and supports Benfica. Loved it when we stuffed Sporting. It was only ever going to be Hibs the Santos/Benfica of Scotland.

Jag7
09-05-2017, 12:14 PM
I once lived in Downfield Place - a smelly, depressing experience. I am from Hawick who play in green and hated rivals Gala played in maroon (rugbt). Father from Brasil and comes from Santos the port of Sao Paulo and saw Hibs in 50s in Rio Mother from Lisbon and supports Benfica. Loved it when we stuffed Sporting. It was only ever going to be Hibs the Santos/Benfica of Scotland.

That is some parentage .. how come you are not a professional football player 😉

bill_reed
09-05-2017, 12:16 PM
My father was a Hearts suporter but lucky for me he would go to Tynecastle one week and Easter Road the next... when i was 14 he started taking me... that was in the early 60s... took me to see Real Madrid and 17 year old Peter Cormack scoring two goals... I always suported Hibs and it was my dad's second team... hearts have always been my second team... would always rather see an Edinburgh team win that one from Glasgow... been suporting Hibs for 50 years this year...

Sean1875
09-05-2017, 12:25 PM
My father was a Hearts suporter but lucky for me he would go to Tynecastle one week and Easter Road the next... when i was 14 he started taking me... that was in the early 60s... took me to see Real Madrid and 17 year old Peter Cormack scoring two goals... I always suported Hibs and it was my dad's second team... hearts have always been my second team... would always rather see an Edinburgh team win that one from Glasgow... been suporting Hibs for 50 years this year...

Weird.

CraigHibee
09-05-2017, 12:40 PM
my grandpa was a hearts fan, always used to tell me when i was a small kid that hibs were rubbish, my mum told me that one year there was a record out that on 1 side the hearts song and the other side the hibs one and he scratched the hibs side with a matchbox so it would skip and jump if someone tried to play it.

my mum was bought up as a hearts supporter but she saw the light and although she hasn't been to loads of hibs games she cheers us on.

my dad was brought up a hearts fan but in his teens saw the green light and made the switch, was so happy when we won the cup last year mainly as i never thought my dad or mum would live to see the day of us bringing the scottish cup home :thumbsup:

FilipinoHibs
09-05-2017, 01:00 PM
That is some parentage .. how come you are not a professional football player 😉

I was broyght up in Rugby town but played for Hawick Royal Albert and once against the Tornadoes marked literally by Schades. No protection in my era for Messi type physique and ability! Dreamt of playing for Hibs and Scotland but alas no.

Albanian Hibs
09-05-2017, 01:05 PM

I could never support Hertz or want them to win anything 😝

Bishop Hibee
09-05-2017, 02:52 PM
A lot of my grandpa's generation were ER one week and Tynie the next. No chance my paternal granddad would have done that. Hearts were rivals but not hated. That was reserved for oldco!

SerenityGreen
09-05-2017, 03:05 PM
Interesting thread!

I grew up in Dalry, went to Tynecastle School, most pals were Jambos, played for Tynie Boys Club, even played trial games for "THEM".
Certainly wasn't enough to sway me though!
My Dad and his brothers (SEVEN of them in total), my Grandad, my Great Grandad were all Leithers and Hibbies so I was no different, thankfully.

Jag7
09-05-2017, 03:19 PM
I was brought up in Winchburgh and Davy Gibson lived next to my grandparents .. no choice but Hibs especially after getting to wear his Scotland strip 👍