PDA

View Full Version : John McGinn wins Championship Player Of The Year

LustForLeith
07-05-2017, 07:36 PM
Apologies if already mentioned but just noticed this in Twitter. Great achievement from a top class player.

Could go down a storm in the top league. Hope it's with Hibs

Mon Dieu4
07-05-2017, 07:37 PM
Apologies if already mentioned but just noticed this in Twitter. Great achievement from a top class player.

Could go down a storm in the top league. Hope it's with Hibs

Well done John, bit strange though he wasn't even Hibs best player this year

DH1875
07-05-2017, 07:38 PM
Well done John, bit strange though he wasn't even Hibs best player this year

I kinda agree with this :agree:.

calumhibee1
07-05-2017, 07:38 PM
Suppose there's no other obvious from other teams but from Hibs it had to have been Daz IMO.

Onceinawhile
07-05-2017, 07:44 PM
Worst spelling of Darren McGregor I've ever seen.

OsloHibs
07-05-2017, 07:48 PM
Congrats to John, but he wasn't even my Hibs player of the season. Britain & voting= madness!!!

bingo70
07-05-2017, 07:49 PM
Well deserved imo.

I know it's become the norm to say he's been poor for a while but I'm going to go against the grain and disagree.

When things haven't been going well he's been the driving force from midfield driving us forward and also always puts a great shift in defensively.

He's not perfect, I'd like him to chip in with more goals and I think there's been games he's tried too hard which has resulted in mistakes being made but overall I think he is our best player and the best player in the league.

JimBHibees
07-05-2017, 07:49 PM
Well done John. Great player.

JimBHibees
07-05-2017, 07:50 PM
Well deserved imo.

I know it's become the norm to say he's been poor for a while but I'm going to go against the grain and disagree.

When things haven't been going well he's been the driving force from midfield driving us forward and also always puts a great shift in defensively.

He's not perfect, I'd like him to chip in with more goals and I think there's been games he's tried too hard which has resulted in mistakes being made but overall I think he is our best player and the best player in the league.

Totally agree.

neil7908
07-05-2017, 07:55 PM
Best player in the championship but not the best this year

Godsahibby
07-05-2017, 08:06 PM
Well done SJM

Who was the numpty on the radio the other week who said if Dobbie didn't win it he would eat his hat?

Northernhibee
07-05-2017, 08:33 PM
Lewie was wildly under-rated in the second half of the season. The boy has a great first touch and does a lot of excellent work.

Borderhibbie76
07-05-2017, 08:36 PM
Pleased for SJM but don't get this tbh...I'd have picked any from Lewis, Darren McGregor or JC before him...bit well done anyway SJM now stay and strut your stuff with us in the Prem next season

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

MartinfaePorty
07-05-2017, 09:25 PM
Guy next to me yesterday will be disappointed. Comments included 'headless chicken' (more than once), never plays with his head up and 'wouldn't get in their (St Mirren) team'.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

FitbaFolkKen
07-05-2017, 09:40 PM
I think SJM has more in his locker than the whole team apart from Cummings. So even when he isn't playing at 100% he is still contributing more than most.

He is a victim of his own high standards and it is well deserved, we will miss him when he goes.

heretoday
07-05-2017, 09:44 PM
This can only add to his market value. Celtic might have competition.

The Harp
07-05-2017, 09:52 PM
John McGinn simply oozes class but I'm sure even he would acknowledge the contribution and consistency of performance of Darren McGregor.
Congratulations John.

Ilovehibs
07-05-2017, 10:02 PM
Well deserved imo.

Correct. Love the man.
Thanks SJM. Let's see you do it for us in the top league next season.

PatHead
07-05-2017, 10:09 PM
Congratulations SJM

Sammy7nil
07-05-2017, 10:15 PM
This can only add to his market value. Celtic might have competition.

LOL :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
07-05-2017, 10:22 PM
I think SJM has more in his locker than the whole team apart from Cummings. So even when he isn't playing at 100% he is still contributing more than most.

He is a victim of his own high standards and it is well deserved, we will miss him when he goes.

Nonsense comment, when he plays poorly he still contributes more than most? Get real, I know he escapes criticism more than most but that is ridiculous.

Time For Heroes
07-05-2017, 11:48 PM
Not really a surprise, he's better than Zidane.

Phil MaGlass
08-05-2017, 09:02 AM
Lovely he just added extra value for selling on

Hibs90
08-05-2017, 09:04 AM
His comments have annoyed me a little I have to be honest.

""I'm a bit more used to speculation now. I think it's a good thing, I think it means you're doing something right and it's always nice hearing managers saying nice things about you."

He's clearly talking about Brendan Rodgers who was complimentary on Sportsound the other day.

JimBHibees
08-05-2017, 09:05 AM

""I'm a bit more used to speculation now. I think it's a good thing, I think it means you're doing something right and it's always nice hearing managers saying nice things about you."

He's clearly talking about Brendan Rodgers who was complimentary on Sportsound the other day.

Seems a pretty level headed answer to me.

Allant1981
08-05-2017, 10:34 AM

dont see what the issue is? most people would quite like a manager from another area(club) say they were doing a good job

Captain Trips
08-05-2017, 11:57 AM
We won this league from the back going to front IMO. The defence have been the best area on pitch. Best player this season for me Darren Mcgregor. The only player in front of the defence would have been Cummings for me.

HoboHarry
08-05-2017, 12:41 PM
Not to do with Hibs, but I am seeing that Sevco were not represented at the awards dinner where McGinn got his award. Are they not contractually obliged to be there? Bloody awful regardless........

itslegaltender
08-05-2017, 12:51 PM
Anyone else heard rumour that he has fell out with Lennon over an issue after the Morton away game?

HoboHarry
08-05-2017, 01:47 PM
Anyone else heard rumour that he has fell out with Lennon over an issue after the Morton away game?
Errrrrr, naw.......

FitbaFolkKen
08-05-2017, 02:12 PM
Nonsense comment, when he plays poorly he still contributes more than most? Get real, I know he escapes criticism more than most but that is ridiculous.

"Nonsense" "Get real" and "Ridiculous". I think you need to settle down, I noticed someone else commented on your negativity the other day.

Poorly and not 100% are not the same thing.

How is it nonsense that a better player can contribute more than a poorer player even when he isn't performing at the top of his game?

McGinn is one of the, if not the best player in the Championship, his peers, player of the year award and getting man of the match in his Scotland debut would tend to side with the nonsense I spout.

WeeRussell
08-05-2017, 09:03 PM

I wouldn't say it's a nonsense comment, although you're entitled to disagree with the sentiment. I think McGinn may not have had such a standout season after the high standards he set last season.. but this doesn't mean he hasn't looked like the best player in the championship, which I think is along the lines of what the poster was saying.

I hadn't expected McGinn to win it either, but I don't think it's ridiculous that he has. He's an excellent player and has had a decent season.

Scouse Hibee
08-05-2017, 09:16 PM
"Nonsense" "Get real" and "Ridiculous". I think you need to settle down, I noticed someone else commented on your negativity the other day.

Poorly and not 100% are not the same thing.

How is it nonsense that a better player can contribute more than a poorer player even when he isn't performing at the top of his game?

McGinn is one of the, if not the best player in the Championship, his peers, player of the year award and getting man of the match in his Scotland debut would tend to side with the nonsense I spout.

Negativity? No idea why you need to mention someone else's opinion, which in fact they actually corrected later on, any way back to the case in hand. McGinn hasn't even been the best player in the Hibs squad this season. I like the guy, he has potential yet is so over hyped by many for some reason I just don't get it. The award is clearly evidence of that when he has had as many poor games as good. The thought that he is so good that even his bad games are better than others just doesn't wash with me. I accept the wording in my original post was over the top though.