PDA

View Full Version : David Gray new contract?

18Hibee75
07-05-2017, 01:12 PM
Apologies is there a thread on this already but haven't seen one.

Just seen a post on hibs fans news on Facebook that David Gray has agreed a two year contract extension. Here's the post for people who haven't seen it or are not on Facebook.

"CONTRACT NEWS..

Fans News understands in the aftermath of securing the league title Hibs have agreed a contract extension for Sir David Gray for 2 years.

Obviously rumours until confirmed but a fantastic deal of true 💚🏆🏅🇳🇬"

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

SouthMoroccoStu
07-05-2017, 01:14 PM
Fantastic news if correct!!

Sir David Gray
07-05-2017, 01:15 PM
I really hope this is true. I hope he stays with us until he retires.

Borderhibbie76
07-05-2017, 01:16 PM
Hope very much this is true...be great if he does stay

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Onion
07-05-2017, 01:21 PM
Fantastic news, if true ! Model pro on and off the pitch.. and club Legend for ever.

Lago
07-05-2017, 01:33 PM
Could be start of a number of re signings.

sleeping giant
07-05-2017, 01:52 PM
I will be extremely delighted if this is true.
Before anyone has a go at the source , he does say it's a rumour.

SouthMoroccoStu
07-05-2017, 01:54 PM
Could be start of a number of re signings.

Here's hoping!!

Marciano
Fyvie
Keatings

tamig
07-05-2017, 01:56 PM
Here's hoping!!

Marciano
Fyvie
Keatings
Marciano wouldn't be a re-signing though. We'd need to do a deal with his club.

hfc rd
07-05-2017, 01:58 PM

How long does he have left on his current deal with Ashdod?

vuefrom1875
07-05-2017, 01:59 PM
Fantastic news if correct!!

Delighted 😀

SouthMoroccoStu
07-05-2017, 02:01 PM

I thought his contract was up at his parent club

scooby
07-05-2017, 02:03 PM
I'd be delighted if this is true, plays with passion.

Dibben
07-05-2017, 02:07 PM
If this happens I'll be delighted.

As said above - hope he retires a Hibee!!

MWHIBBIES
07-05-2017, 02:09 PM
He'll have to play better than he did yesterday, was very poor and has been for a few months now. He has been great for us and his goal will never be forgotten but he been one of our weakest links recently.

SteveHFC
07-05-2017, 02:10 PM
:hyper

The Harp
07-05-2017, 02:11 PM
Really hope this is true.
As SDG says, I'd be happy to have this Hibs legend at the Club until he hangs up his boots.

matty_f
07-05-2017, 02:13 PM
I'd be happy to see SDG here until I retire, never mind him retiring. :greengrin

Shrekko
07-05-2017, 02:16 PM
He'll have to play better than he did yesterday, was very poor and has been for a few months now. He has been great for us and his goal will never be forgotten but he been one of our weakest links recently.
'Very poor' for a few months... I really don't think so.

You are right that he been great for us though.

A 2 year contract is probably sensible, but let's hope he's around the club a lot longer. Very good defensive full-back and great ambassador for the club.

Vault Boy
07-05-2017, 02:18 PM
Would be delighted with this. First of a few I hope!

Elephant Stone
07-05-2017, 02:20 PM
Hopefully true.

tamig
07-05-2017, 02:20 PM

He has a year left.

J-C
07-05-2017, 02:25 PM

It doesn't say on his WIKI, just that he's contracted to them, his wife is a top model and fashion designer and she loves living here as does he, wants to stay and has made noises, should be able to get a deal done.

MWHIBBIES
07-05-2017, 02:26 PM
'Very poor' for a few months... I really don't think so.

You are right that he been great for us though.

A 2 year contract is probably sensible, but let's hope he's around the club a lot longer. Very good defensive full-back and great ambassador for the club.

Cost us a goal against Dunfermline on 25th of Feb with an awful miss kick. Cross for the 2nd came from his side.

4 days later he was absolutely awful away at St Mirren and at fault for both goals.

Decent vs Ayr and good vs Dundee United

Very poor against Dumbarton and cost us a goal in that game

Didn't played for a few weeks, scored vs QOTS then had a pretty poor game in the semi final.

We needed our captain to stand up and lead us to promotion and in those vital games he cost us quite a few soft goals. Yesterday he was very lucky not to give away a penalty. I dunno if he was injured, his head was somewhere else or he was just in poor form but he was absolute murder against Dunfermline, St Mirren and Dumbarton and cost us 7 points.

Honestly, Lewis has been much better than him this season, he's the one who deserves to be at Hibs forever.

Elephant Stone
07-05-2017, 02:28 PM
Cost us a goal against Dunfermline on 25th of Feb with an awful miss kick. Cross for the 2nd came from his side.

4 days later he was absolutely awful away at St Mirren and at fault for both goals.

Didn't played for a few weeks, scored vs QOTS then had a pretty poor game in the semi final.

We needed our captain to stand up and lead us to promotion and in those vital games he cost us quite a few soft goals. Yesterday he was very lucky not to give away a penalty. I dunno if he was injured, his head was somewhere else or he was just in poor form but he was absolute murder against Dunfermline, St Mirren and Dumbarton and cost us 7 points.

Honestly, Lewis has been much better than him this season, he's the one who deserves to be at Hibs forever.

He struggled against Hayes a couple of times but every right back in the league will. Thought he was decent overall in the match and his passion/drive was second to none as always.

Shrekko
07-05-2017, 02:32 PM

He didn't single handedly cost us 7 points. He's had a handful of below par games this season but is generally excellent on the big occasions. Maybe all the stuff he's required to off the park has taken its toll? He's still a very decent full-back.

I don't think many would argue Lewis has been better than him this year but I'd be absolutely stunned if he doesn't also sign a new deal, and it'll be at least 2 years.

The Sundance Kid
07-05-2017, 02:33 PM
How long does he have left on his current deal with Ashdod?

He's still got 1 year left on his Ashdod contract

BroxburnHibee
07-05-2017, 02:37 PM
Delighted if true. I thought he looked tired yesterday or perhaps carrying a knock.

Does this put the Whitty rumour to bed?

hibees 7062
07-05-2017, 02:40 PM
I'd be happy to see SDG here until I retire, never mind him retiring. :greengrin

How long would that be Matty ? :greengrin

HoboHarry
07-05-2017, 02:42 PM
Delighted if true. I thought he looked tired yesterday or perhaps carrying a knock.

Does this put the Whitty rumour to bed?

Of course not. I kept asking why NL wouldn't want them both at Hibs but I guess some posters preferred to discuss replacing Gray.

SunshineOnLeith
07-05-2017, 02:43 PM
At times this season him and Lewis haven't look great because, in games where there's been little or no defending of note for them to do, the fact that neither of them are particularly great attacking fullbacks has been exposed.

Next season, we'll be playing teams who will attack us more and I hope we line up with these two as our first choice left and right back. Replacing either of them would simply be change for the sake of change - we won't find better and they're both club legends.

MWHIBBIES
07-05-2017, 02:45 PM
He didn't single handedly cost us 7 points. He's had a handful of below par games this season but is generally excellent on the big occasions. Maybe all the stuff he's required to off the park has taken its toll? He's still a very decent full-back.

I don't think many would argue Lewis has been better than him this year but I'd be absolutely stunned if he doesn't also sign a new deal, and it'll be at least 2 years.I'd say he was pretty close to single handedly costing us those points, he made critical errors that directly led to goals. He's had a handful of below far games and a handful of absolutely awful ones. He is good on the big occasions but next season we need him to be excellent every week.

PatHead
07-05-2017, 02:47 PM

Nice to see you supporting a player who is meant to have signed a new contract.

MWHIBBIES
07-05-2017, 02:53 PM
Nice to see you supporting a player who is meant to have signed a new contract.I supported him at every single league match this season. I support every player who plays for Hibs. Does signing a new contract make him immune to criticism?

Is anything I've said wrong or do you just not like it because it is negative?

matty_f
07-05-2017, 02:53 PM

Despite my auld looks, still another 25 years or so.

Borderhibbie76
07-05-2017, 02:55 PM
I'd say he was pretty close to single handedly costing us those points, he made critical errors that directly led to goals. He's had a handful of below far games and a handful of absolutely awful ones. He is good on the big occasions but next season we need him to be excellent every week.
Your negativity on here today is quite something...he isn't the only player to have made mistakes u know?? Solid right back who would be hard to replace imo

MWHIBBIES
07-05-2017, 03:02 PM
Your negativity on here today is quite something...u started another thread slating the team performance yesterday too..chill. in case u forgot we won the championship by 11pts...the same margin as Sevco last season so we cannae be that bad

Sent from my SM-G920F using TapatalkI haven't started a thread for almost 2 months. The team were poor yesterday, that is undeniable. We had many walkups at the game and should've put on a convincing performance to tempt them to buy season tickets.

I know we won the Championship, I'm delighted but as of 5pm yesterday that is irrelevant, we are now looking forward and I'm discussing the merits of keeping a player who I believe has been in poor form recently. Seems quite reasonable to me.

I know he isn't the only player to make mistakes but he is the one that is subject of this thread, that is why I am discussing his mistakes.

Borderhibbie76
07-05-2017, 03:03 PM
I haven't started a thread for almost 2 months. The team were poor yesterday, that is undeniable. We had many walkups at the game and should've put on a convincing performance to tempt them to buy season tickets.

I know we won the Championship, I'm delighted but as of 5pm yesterday that is irrelevant, we are now looking forward and I'm discussing the merits of keeping a player who I believe has been in poor form recently. Seems quite reasonable to me.
Fair enough I changed my post as mixed u up with another poster apologies. Still think ur description of our captain is very harsh tbh but your opinion and your entitled to it

PatHead
07-05-2017, 03:08 PM
I haven't started a thread for almost 2 months. The team were poor yesterday, that is undeniable. We had many walkups at the game and should've put on a convincing performance to tempt them to buy season tickets.

I know he isn't the only player to make mistakes but he is the one that is subject of this thread, that is why I am discussing his mistakes.

The subject of the thread is about a player signing a new contract. I find it hard to understand why you find the need to criticise him at this moment.

Dibben
07-05-2017, 03:10 PM

It's a good 4 or 5 years - Matty??? 😂😬😂😬

JimBHibees
07-05-2017, 03:12 PM

On what parallel universe was he very poor. Dear oh dear.

MWHIBBIES
07-05-2017, 03:12 PM
The subject of the thread is about a player signing a new contract. I find it hard to understand why you find the need to criticise him at this moment.Well I started off saying he will need to perform better in the SPL that he has recently in the championship. Nothing wrong with that?

MWHIBBIES
07-05-2017, 03:15 PM
On what parallel universe was he very poor. Dear oh dear.Yesterday? Winger walked past him more than once, very lucky not to give away a pen and then he was hooked in favour of playing a central defender at full back?

lucky
07-05-2017, 03:16 PM
The subject of the thread is about a player signing a new contract. I find it hard to understand why you find the need to criticise him at this moment.

I'd say he's entitled to criticise him as he's an average footballer who has never played at the highest level in England or Scotland. Yes he's a legend and will be remembered as one of of our all time greats because of his winning goal but I do believe there are better RBs out there that would improve Hibs.

JimBHibees
07-05-2017, 03:17 PM

Absolute crock.

PatHead
07-05-2017, 03:21 PM
I'd say he's entitled to criticise him as he's an average footballer who has never played at the highest level in England or Scotland. Yes he's a legend and will be remembered as one of of our all time greats because of his winning goal but I do believe there are better RBs out there that would improve Hibs.

I could understand that on a thread about should he stay or not. This thread was started about him signing a new contract. Time and place for everything. Anyway leaving it at that as I don't want to high jack the thread. For what it is worth I am pleased if he has re signed

MWHIBBIES
07-05-2017, 03:23 PM
Absolute crock.Hows that? Because you said so?

JimBHibees
07-05-2017, 03:36 PM
Hows that? Because you said so?

Yep. Hugely over critical.

Borderhibbie76
07-05-2017, 03:42 PM
Incidentally he was subbed at HT yesterday due to a shoulder injury

Springbank
07-05-2017, 03:59 PM
David Gray being retained will be absolutely brilliant news

He is a class act on and off the field, top man

LaMotta
07-05-2017, 04:57 PM
Absolute crock.

:agree:

emerald green
07-05-2017, 05:11 PM
Why any Hibs supporter would begrudge David Gray, of all players, a new contract just baffles me. :rolleyes:

MWHIBBIES
07-05-2017, 05:28 PM
Why any Hibs supporter would begrudge David Gray, of all players, a new contract just baffles me. :rolleyes:I don't begrudge him a new contract, I said he'll have to play better against the better opposition we'll be facing next season. Why him of all players? His winning goal in the cup final shouldn't cloud judgement over his ability IMO, he hasn't been good enough in recent months.

Onceinawhile
07-05-2017, 05:30 PM
Incidentally he was subbed at HT yesterday due to a shoulder injury

Pulled a muscle signing his new contract?

emerald green
07-05-2017, 05:36 PM
I don't begrudge him a new contract, I said he'll have to play better against the better opposition we'll be facing next season. Why him of all players? His winning goal in the cup final shouldn't cloud judgement over his ability IMO, he hasn't been good enough in recent months.

Well you could have fooled me mate! IMHO it's your "judgement" that's clouded in this case I would suggest.

MWHIBBIES
07-05-2017, 05:37 PM
Well you could have fooled me mate! IMHO it's your "judgement" that's clouded in this case I would suggest.What is my judgement clouded by?

emerald green
07-05-2017, 05:51 PM
What is my judgement clouded by?

Your seeming inability to recognise that David Gray is a very good full back? An excellent professional, and the type of player Hibs should be trying to keep. Compared to some of the pish that has embarrassed the jersey over recent seasons David Gray is well deserving of a new contract.

By the way, it was you who introduced the "clouded judgement" aspect into the debate.

edwards
07-05-2017, 06:05 PM
Absolutely fantastic news really glad if true. Gray has been a credit to the club

MWHIBBIES
07-05-2017, 06:12 PM
Your seeming inability to recognise that David Gray is a very good full back? An excellent professional, and the type of player Hibs should be trying to keep. Compared to some of the pish that has embarrassed the jersey over recent seasons David Gray is well deserving of a new contract.

By the way, it was you who introduced the "clouded judgement" aspect into the debate.

The pish that have embarrassed the jersey aren't relevant at all. You shouldn't try to sign a player that is better than what you have or have had, you should try to sign the best possible player.

I recognised David Gray as a very good full back for his first 2 years here, I think he has been average at best this season and very poor recently and I think his performances during his first 2 years and cup winning goal are clouding peoples judgement.

My judgement isn't clouded at all, why on earth would I criticise Hibs Scottish cup winning captain unless I actually believed he has played poorly in recent months?

Still no one has told me he played well in these games recently, they have just told me he has to stay because he is very good and I'm talking rubbish. I haven't even said he shouldn't be offered a new deal, just that he will need to improve his performances to have merited a new deal. If he plays against Celtic/Rangers/Hearts/Aberdeen like he has against Dumbarton and St Mirren we're going to lose a lot of goals from his side.

JimBHibees
07-05-2017, 06:56 PM
The pish that have embarrassed the jersey aren't relevant at all. You shouldn't try to sign a player that is better than what you have or have had, you should try to sign the best possible player.

I recognised David Gray as a very good full back for his first 2 years here, I think he has been average at best this season and very poor recently and I think his performances during his first 2 years and cup winning goal are clouding peoples judgement.

My judgement isn't clouded at all, why on earth would I criticise Hibs Scottish cup winning captain unless I actually believed he has played poorly in recent months?

Still no one has told me he played well in these games recently, they have just told me he has to stay because he is very good and I'm talking rubbish. I haven't even said he shouldn't be offered a new deal, just that he will need to improve his performances to have merited a new deal. If he plays against Celtic/Rangers/Hearts/Aberdeen like he has against Dumbarton and St Mirren we're going to lose a lot of goals from his side.

Get over yourself David has been a standout in the games against better teams and has been an excellent player for Hibs and deserves a shed load more respect than you seem willing to give.

Weir07
07-05-2017, 07:23 PM
Got to say, really frustrates me when people deride our players that give their all to the club, Gray, Stevenson and Fyvie are all, at the very least, solid professionals that we should be delighted are at Hibs. Still makes me shudder when I think of the likes of Matt Docherty, Thornhill, Done and De Graff. Imposters who lacked character, give me guys like Gray and Stevenson any time!

MWHIBBIES
07-05-2017, 07:28 PM
Get over yourself David has been a standout in the games against better teams and has been an excellent player for Hibs and deserves a shed load more respect than you seem willing to give.I'm not talking about his performances against Hearts, everyone was excellent in those games. Do you think he has performed well over the past 3 months? I really don't understand what is wrong with me saying he will need to improve on his recent performances...

eastmainsmsh
07-05-2017, 07:30 PM
Magic news if sw comes in then both are very versatile esp Whittaker

JimBHibees
07-05-2017, 07:48 PM
I'm not talking about his performances against Hearts, everyone was excellent in those games. Do you think he has performed well over the past 3 months? I really don't understand what is wrong with me saying he will need to improve on his recent performances...

He has had many good games in the last 3 months and is one of our best players.

B.H.F.C
07-05-2017, 08:08 PM

I'd also disagree with that. I think he has been average over the course of this season.

I think he is pretty replaceable but I don't think that replacing him needs to be a priority if that makes sense.

Springbank
07-05-2017, 08:13 PM
Absolutely fantastic news really glad if true. Gray has been a credit to the club

114% this :greengrin

ekhibee
07-05-2017, 08:29 PM

I can't agree with your last sentence. On the occasions that we've played premiership teams, including Rangers, Hearts and Aberdeen, he's been excellent. Unless you're talking about the first half hour of the semi-final in which they were all pish, not just him.

Tug Wilson
07-05-2017, 08:33 PM
If people cast their minds back to pre Stubbs bringing in David Gray they will remember that right back was a real problem position for us.

Some of the guys who we had there were dreadful.

Thankfully Stubbs sorted that with his first signing.

Not convinced that it would be that easy to upgrade on David Gray. Happy if he has signed a new contract.

Ilovehibs
07-05-2017, 08:52 PM
Yesterday? Winger walked past him more than once, very lucky not to give away a pen and then he was hooked in favour of playing a central defender at full back?

He was not hooked. He was injured.

MWHIBBIES
07-05-2017, 09:22 PM
I really cannot think of him having many good games in that time. Good vs United and Qots, average to very poor in the rest.

Might well be one of our best but he hasnt shown it recently.

Leith Mo
07-05-2017, 09:32 PM
2 year deal signed along with another 2 current 1st team players we'd (hopefully all like to see stay) - Marv and McGregor both 2yr deals I believe.

07-05-2017, 09:55 PM
2 year deal signed along with another 2 current 1st team players we'd (hopefully all like to see stay) - Marv and McGregor both 2yr deals I believe.

Excellent news.

keep the faith
07-05-2017, 09:57 PM
Hopefully Lewy is next to sign.

PatHead
07-05-2017, 09:59 PM

Great news getting these deals done early

emerald green
08-05-2017, 05:41 PM

Sorry, but the bit in bold above is nonsense, and I'm not sure what relevance that actually has with the point being debated, i.e. should DG get a new contract? Why shouldn't a club (any club) try to sign better players than it already has, if it can do so? :confused:

As far as DG is concerned, all players have poor games from time to time, and also have dips in form for all sorts of reasons which people posting on fans forums are frequently unaware and ignorant of.

We're not going to agree. I'm out.

MWHIBBIES
08-05-2017, 07:39 PM
Sorry, but the bit in bold above is nonsense, and I'm not sure what relevance that actually has with the point being debated, i.e. should DG get a new contract? Why shouldn't a club (any club) try to sign better players than it already has, if it can do so? :confused:

As far as DG is concerned, all players have poor games from time to time, and also have dips in form for all sorts of reasons which people posting on fans forums are frequently unaware and ignorant of.

We're not going to agree. I'm out.

Of course we should try to sign better players, the best ones available for each position. If Lennon thinks Gray is the best right back we can find then fair enough but on recent form he isn't the best right back at the club.

I'm not talking about why Gray has had a poor run of form, I'm talking about it being a problem if it continues against better players.

J-C
08-05-2017, 07:41 PM
Of course we should try to sign better players, the best ones available for each position. If Lennon thinks Gray is the best right back we can find then fair enough but on recent form he isn't the best right back at the club.

I'm not talking about why Gray has had a poor run of form, I'm talking about it being a problem if it continues against better players.

That's one hell of a statement to make seeing as the only other RB at the club plays for the development team.

1van Sprou7e
08-05-2017, 07:42 PM
That's one hell of a statement to make seeing as the only other RB at the club plays for the development team.

I'm sure he's referring to Efe

MWHIBBIES
08-05-2017, 07:43 PM
That's one hell of a statement to make seeing as the only other RB at the club plays for the development team.I'm talking about Ambrose who was much better that Gray at right back on Saturday.

Springbank
08-05-2017, 07:49 PM

Outstanding!!!:flag::top marks

Hibs90
08-05-2017, 07:49 PM
I'd give Sir David a contract until he retires, and even then, a contract so he is some sort of club official or even in a coaching capacity.

Man can do no wrong in my eyes.

J-C
08-05-2017, 07:51 PM
I'm talking about Ambrose who was much better that Gray at right back on Saturday.

Ambrose is a good player who can play in any of the defensive roles, he was OK on saturday but nearly got skinned a couple of times for being out of position, he tends to sit very narrow when playing RB.

You have a real bee in your bonnet re Gray and I'm just going to leave you to it, once you grab something you never seem to let go and I can't be ar sed playing the game.

MWHIBBIES
08-05-2017, 07:58 PM
Ambrose is a good player who can play in any of the defensive roles, he was OK on saturday but nearly got skinned a couple of times for being out of position, he tends to sit very narrow when playing RB.

You have a real bee in your bonnet re Gray and I'm just going to leave you to it, once you grab something you never seem to let go and I can't be ar sed playing the game.

I don't have a bee in my bonnet, I have simply said his form has been poor in recent months and he'll need to improve it next season. Why should I suddenly change my opinion just because you want me to? I continue to talk about it in this thread because people are replying to me, nothing wrong with that. There is no game, just a civil discussion.

JimBHibees
08-05-2017, 08:40 PM
I'm talking about Ambrose who was much better that Gray at right back on Saturday.

Gray is clearly a better right back than Efe though you know that anyway.

Borderhibbie76
08-05-2017, 08:48 PM
Best not to bite any more Jim 😉

cmcd
08-05-2017, 08:48 PM

No one player cost us 7 points .It's a team game

JimBHibees
08-05-2017, 08:51 PM
Best not to bite any more Jim 😉

Yep time for bed. :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
08-05-2017, 09:14 PM

Efe has been better at right back than Gray in the last few months IMO. No need for petty digs at me, try having an adult discussion.

MWHIBBIES
08-05-2017, 09:18 PM
No one player cost us 7 points .It's a team game

You are right but Gray made 4 errors that directly led to goals in those games. They were very poor mistakes and he has proven he is better than that. He had a spell out injured afterward so that could well have contributed.