PDA

View Full Version : NHC Greek cup final

HappyAsHellas
07-05-2017, 11:16 AM
Once again marred by violent scenes before the game with many fans injured and report of stabbings. You have to wonder at the way things are run over there though as they seem to stagger from one disaster to the next. I think last year the cup final was played behind closed doors due to violence and this year PAOK wouldn't agree to play in the Olympic stadium, presumably because it's in Athens, where AEK come from. So they decided to play it in Volos where the stadium seats aren't numbered so an army of volunteers had to be enlisted to put a sticker number on each seat, and allegedly each ticket. PAOK won 2 - 1 with a blatantly offside goal which will just add fuel to the reputation of the game in Greece, which is sort of gutter level as it is now. Maybe our game ain't so bad after all.

HIBERNIAN-0762
07-05-2017, 01:26 PM
Greek football has always been blighted by hooliganism and corruption, UEFA always give them a slap on the wrist, nothing will change there.

Is It On....
07-05-2017, 01:50 PM
Once again marred by violent scenes before the game with many fans injured and report of stabbings. You have to wonder at the way things are run over there though as they seem to stagger from one disaster to the next. I think last year the cup final was played behind closed doors due to violence and this year PAOK wouldn't agree to play in the Olympic stadium, presumably because it's in Athens, where AEK come from. So they decided to play it in Volos where the stadium seats aren't numbered so an army of volunteers had to be enlisted to put a sticker number on each seat, and allegedly each ticket. PAOK won 2 - 1 with a blatantly offside goal which will just add fuel to the reputation of the game in Greece, which is sort of gutter level as it is now. Maybe our game ain't so bad after all.

POAK and AEK were both formed by refugees from Minor Asia (the K stands for Konstanpinopolis) so there is usually some form of a common bond (like Hibs and lesser greens). The rivalry between Olympiakos and Panathinikos is all together a different league. I went past the Panathinikos ground recently and the supporters club where their nutters hang out is actually green (nothing wrong with that) and you can't show red and white colours in the area without the potential for trouble even on non match days.

HappyAsHellas
07-05-2017, 11:56 PM
Don't think there's much of a bond between any Greek teams to be honest - AEK are known as hanoumisses which means women from a harem, a derogatory nickname referring to their past. Unlike here, in Greece is it other teams that decide on the nicknames for other clubs, Panathinaikos are known as vaselaki, a reference to gay men and when they use vaseline and Olympiakos are known as gavros, or anchovies due them hailing from the fishing port of Piraeus. I was at a 2nd division game in Crete last week and you wouldn't want to be seen wearing a yellow top anywhere near the ground of O.F.I. Different cultures I suppose, but still sad to see.

Dashing Bob S
08-05-2017, 12:04 AM
Marvelous country, wonderful people.