PDA

View Full Version : Which St Mirren players would you take?

neil7908
07-05-2017, 08:58 AM
I've seen them play a few times since we've been in this league but was really impressed by them yesterday. A lot of names being mentioned for transfers away from them over summer - who would you like at ER?

I rate Mallan and his goals/assists record speaks for itself, although I didn't think he was great yesterday.

Morgan looked threatening and it was a his run that really set up their own goal. Although over the 90 minutes he didn't get past our fullback often so not sure he's much of an upgrade to what we have.

Anyone else?

Billychaotic182
07-05-2017, 09:19 AM
Mallan
Morgan
Magennis

Slavers
07-05-2017, 09:21 AM
Mallan should be a priority signing if McGinn goes.

IAmLee
07-05-2017, 09:21 AM
I think Morgan is a great player. Yesterday was one of his quieter games which is saying something! He can play on either side or through the middle, is quick, tricky and knows where the goal is (he has more goals this season in a poor team, until Feb anyway, than any of our players bar Cummings!) I would love to see him in a Hibs shirt next season. Mallan is obviously a player but could cost a fair bit and, according to my St Mirren supporting pals, can go missing if things aren't going his way.

Dibben
07-05-2017, 09:32 AM
Would certainly take Mallan & Morgan!!

ACLeith
07-05-2017, 09:39 AM
At the very end yesterday a few of their players came back out and walked up to a few of their fans who were left. Stevie Mallan went past and someone said "see you next year Stevie". He turned and smiled, what could be interpreted as a a "knowing" smile.

Could be winding us up of course.

Gmack7
07-05-2017, 09:39 AM
I wouldn't day Morgan had a quiet game, I felt he gave gray then ambrose a hard time when given the opportunity to run at them, as much as I like shinnie if I had the choice to play 1 of them wide left it'd be Morgan

keep the faith
07-05-2017, 09:41 AM
Magennis looked very good.

murray26
07-05-2017, 10:05 AM
I thought Morgan was very good yesterday.. don't know if he's like that all the time or just a good day at the office..

bookert
07-05-2017, 10:08 AM
I thought Morgan was very good yesterday.. don't know if he's like that all the time or just a good day at the office..

Three times Ive seen Morgan now, he has been exceptional every time, looks as if he has a good attitude too.

JDT
07-05-2017, 10:11 AM
We could try and temp St Mirren to part with Morgan if we give them Harris or Handling as part of the deal. He looked their best player yesterday for me

Big_Franck
07-05-2017, 10:17 AM
Agree with others above, I thought Morgan was their best player. Genuine width and pace on the left is one of the things we've needed for years. From the East he looked very unlucky not to get a penalty after flying past Gray in the first half.

Mallan was ok, couple of nice passes and switches of play, but he didn't really contribute as much as I thought he would.

I was looking forward to seeing Kyle Magennis but I wasn't overly impressed. He did ok and at 18 he definitely didn't look out of place, so I suppose that in itself shows he has potential.

where'stheslope
07-05-2017, 10:33 AM
I feel we should be looking for Premiership players rather than player who were in a team struggling in the Championship!

Young players like Mallan, I can see, but older players are more likely to not get up to the pace needed.

If we are to cement our place in the Premiership next season we will need to bring in players who have been over the course bolstering some really good youngsters.

Lennon will not take chances next season, he will make sure we survive and hopefully get us top 6, if we get to carried away we could end up being more than a little disappointing!

calumhibee1
07-05-2017, 10:37 AM
We could try and temp St Mirren to part with Morgan if we give them Harris or Handling as part of the deal. He looked their best player yesterday for me

Presuming St Mirren wanted them I'd be more than happy to offer them any/all of Harris, Stanton, Handling and probably even Forster as well in any deal for Morgan and/or Mallen. I think Forster especially would be a cracking signing for them and I don't see him featuring much for us next year.

The Leith Dutch
07-05-2017, 12:22 PM
Mallan should be a priority signing if McGinn goes.

Genuine question - why the connection between McGinn going and us getting Mallan?
For me, two different players that I'd see being part of the same XI.

ancient hibee
07-05-2017, 02:11 PM
Wouldn't take any of them.They were posted missing for half the season and couldn't win against a Hibs team that had started its holidays and had no shots on target in the first half.

CraigHibee
07-05-2017, 05:01 PM
Wouldn't take any of them.They were posted missing for half the season and couldn't win against a Hibs team that had started its holidays and had no shots on target in the first half.

yep, they wouldn't be hovering down the bottom end of the league if they had great players

Gmack7
07-05-2017, 05:06 PM
We were happy to take McGinn, not all good young players start in top teams in the top league

makaveli1875
07-05-2017, 05:10 PM
Genuine question - why the connection between McGinn going and us getting Mallan?
For me, two different players that I'd see being part of the same XI.

good point , from what i saw yesterday if were looking for a similar replacement for SJM we should be looking at his brother . they are pretty similar , and John didnt really look any better than Stephen , infact he came off 2nd best to him a few times

emerald green
07-05-2017, 05:16 PM

:agree: None of them particularly impressed me TBH. Hibs didn't really get out of first gear for most of the match yesterday either.

I'd rather give some of our young development players a chance, rather than take on Championship journeymen who escaped being relegated to League 1 by the skin of their teeth.

H18 SFR
07-05-2017, 05:20 PM
Echo the thoughts of those who say none of them. I think we can do better than sign players who avoided relegation from the Scottish Championship by a point or goal difference.

wookie70
07-05-2017, 05:27 PM
Morgan was excellent yesterday and looked to have the beating of Ambrose and SDG to me. Mallon wasn't as good as he can be. Both would be very good signings and I suspect they will be looking for a move as they are definitely Premiership players. If we lose Cummings or McGinn then I hope these are the type of players we are looking at. Young, fast, clever, creative and with great sell on potential. I like the deal we did on McGinn and would try the same again.

ekhibee
07-05-2017, 05:39 PM
I'd take any of Mallan, McGinn, Morgan and Maginnis. They're all young players, not journeymen, and they'll improve. For those who haven't seen what Mallan can do, here's a couple of examples.

https://youtu.be/7zNnAS9ScSM

https://youtu.be/9wosVI8f2j8

But if you don't think that's good enough fair dues.

JimBHibees
07-05-2017, 05:47 PM
:agree: None of them particularly impressed me TBH. Hibs didn't really get out of first gear for most of the match yesterday either.

I'd rather give some of our young development players a chance, rather than take on Championship journeymen who escaped being relegated to League 1 by the skin of their teeth.

Would tend to agree with that based on yesterday.

hibby6270
07-05-2017, 05:56 PM
I'd take any of Mallan, McGinn, Morgan and Maginnis. They're all young players, not journeymen, and they'll improve. For those who haven't seen what Mallan can do, here's a couple of examples.

Agreed. All 4 could do a job for us but in reality, I can't see the Buddies offloading all 4 of their best players to us. 2 of the 4 maybe. So, Mallan and Morgan for me.

ancient hibee
07-05-2017, 06:00 PM

So you would take nearly half the outfield players of a side that has narrowly escaped relegation from a league where the standard of football is mediocre at best and you think that will improve us in a better league?

H18 SFR
07-05-2017, 06:03 PM
So you would take nearly half the outfield players of a side that has narrowly escaped relegation from a league where the standard of football is mediocre at best and you think that will improve us in a better league?

Exactly, I can't wait for the St Mirren love-in to die out over the course of this week. Not one of them would get in the side of a top six premiership side so not good enough for Hibs.

ekhibee
07-05-2017, 06:09 PM
I said I'd take any of the four, not all four, and I also said if you don't think they're good enough then fair dues. The first clip was from a premiership game against Dundee, so it's not as if he doesn't have the ability, and yes, I think he would improve us.

Chip shop Joe
07-05-2017, 06:10 PM
Whether Hibs sign any of these players is one thing and he was quiet yesterday but if anyone doesn't think that Mallan would improve our team then I am glad they are not scouting for us😀

wookie70
07-05-2017, 06:37 PM

They had a shocking start to the season. Yes they finished low in the league but St Mirren got 18 points from their last round of fixtures and scored 26 goals in the process. For comparison we got 17 points and scored 19 goals. Much of their team changed at new year but the players that may be of interest to Hibs stayed in the team. Never easy to know if players will make the jump up to playing at a higher level and in a bigger team but I would say those mentioned in this thread could do a job for Hibs. Importantly they are young and if the move worked could have value both on the field or on the balance book. I'd far rather we speculated on that type of prospect than look at the likes of Kenny Miller, Steven Whittaker etc.

neil7908
07-05-2017, 07:17 PM
Strange to argue we shouldn't sign any of them just because they play for St Mirren. Plenty of players have been plucked from the lower leagues in Scotland and gone on to have very good careers.

If we were talking about 29,30 year olds I can understand the scepticism but we're talking generally here about players in there there teens or early 20s. Mallan has 7 goals this season, Morgan 6. How many have our midfield scored?

And where did we get our own SJM from again!?

brog
07-05-2017, 07:50 PM
Can we please change the thread title to "which St Mirren players would improve our team"? I hate this Celtic & Yamesque type arrogance that makes it sound like we can just take these players as & when we feel like it. FWIW I believe we've been looking at Morgan & Malian for some time & I'd be very pleased if we were fortunate enough to attract them both to ER.

NorthNorfolkHFC
07-05-2017, 07:52 PM
Morgan should be a priority. Left sided players with pace are hard to come by.
Added to the fact we have struggled with width for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk