PDA

View Full Version : Grant Holt

cmcd
06-05-2017, 09:33 PM
Another fine performance today. He was everywhere today. Up front midfield and even clearing up at the back.He has taken some stick on here but has been showing his true worth lately . I think he deserves another year. ???

06-05-2017, 09:37 PM
Another year definatly!

SMAXXA
06-05-2017, 09:47 PM
Was excellent in comparison to others. Is it just me or does he look like he's fitter and sharper now than he was before.....amazing what playing for a new contract can do for you 😜

chasitup
06-05-2017, 09:48 PM
It's all about opinions eh, I thought he was more concerned with nosing up the St Mirren players today than concentrating on his own game. Wasn't too impressed with him. But he has shown his worth in recent games.

wookie70
06-05-2017, 09:51 PM
Another fine performance today. He was everywhere today. Up front midfield and even clearing up at the back.He has taken some stick on here but has been showing his true worth lately . I think he deserves another year. ???

I think the reason he played far better today was he played as a number 9 and most of his good work was done in the final third. Granted he did some good chasing back too but he actually played his position far better than most of the season. I'm not a fan but my major criticism of him has always been he plays far too far away from the oppositions goal. He looks so much better when he is next to centre halves rather than full backs or midfielders where he has been most of the season.

c31
06-05-2017, 09:53 PM
I thought he was excellent today, MOTM by a mile. I also thought we were a far better team with Fyvie on the park in the second half.

hibee_girl
06-05-2017, 09:55 PM
He was deservedly MOTM today.

I think he's great, he does a great job defensively which I'm not sure many people actually pick up on. I hope he stays on for another year.

marinello59
06-05-2017, 09:57 PM
Real quality. I really hope he stays.

SMAXXA
06-05-2017, 10:04 PM
One thing we need to address regardless if strikers is keep them in an area that can hurt teams. The amount of times I've seen both our strikers out wide at the same time is crazy, it's little wonder we don't have strikers scoring 20 odd goals a season they spend half the time out wide or in centre midfield positions

IberianHibernian
06-05-2017, 10:05 PM
He played well today and has done well in other games in recent weeks but is anyone seriously thinking that we should start next season with Holt as one of our main strikers ? Maybe he could be employed as a player coach .

lord bunberry
06-05-2017, 10:06 PM
You would also hope that with a proper pre season under his belt he'd be fit and ready to start the season. I don't think it's a coincidence that most of his best games have come in the second half of the season.

matty_f
06-05-2017, 10:07 PM
He was deservedly MOTM today.

I think he's great, he does a great job defensively which I'm not sure many people actually pick up on. I hope he stays on for another year.

:agree: his recent goal return has been good as well, but his all round game is really good and he brings a lot to the team. Looks an absolute nightmare to play against.

overdrive
06-05-2017, 10:16 PM
One thing we need to address regardless if strikers is keep them in an area that can hurt teams. The amount of times I've seen both our strikers out wide at the same time is crazy, it's little wonder we don't have strikers scoring 20 odd goals a season they spend half the time out wide or in centre midfield positions

Not sure if this is a "whoosh moment" but, we do have a striker scoring 20 odd goals a season.

Hibee Mac
06-05-2017, 10:19 PM
I think today was a good example of what we should expect from Holt if we did sign him up 1 more year.

He gives everything for the 60/70 mins he can play for and links up well plus gives us great urgency going forward, excellent with the ball. However he just doesn't have the pace we need for an all round striker, there was one example where mcginn slotted through a beauty of a ball at the edge of the box and he just had no pace to reach it at all.

For what its worth I think he can do a job for us next season but not as a starter every week

DavidDavidGray
06-05-2017, 10:30 PM
Holt has been great all season and has started scoring recently, would 100% offer him a new deal. Hope he signs it

DavidDavidGray
06-05-2017, 10:31 PM

If I'm not mistaken, Jason Cummings is on 23 goals this season

Winston Ingram
06-05-2017, 10:31 PM
Another? Thought he was average today. Put in 3 excellent performances this season in the cup but other than that, he's been highly disappointing.

B.H.F.C
06-05-2017, 10:37 PM
He's been very good in the last few weeks.

Bottom line for me is that we need to sign someone that will contribute more than 7 goals next year though. I'm not totally against him signing for another year. But if he does then it should very much be as a back up player.

Rattler
06-05-2017, 10:40 PM
Another? Thought he was average today. Put in 3 excellent performances this season in the cup but other than that, he's been highly disappointing.

As someone else has said, it's all about opinions!

Would be one of the first names on my team sheet every week.

Clever, holds the ball, brings others into play. ...you just know what he wants them to do - it's just a pity that they are not on the same channel!

NadeAteMyLunch!
06-05-2017, 10:42 PM
I thought he was excellent today, MOTM by a mile. I also thought we were a far better team with Fyvie on the park in the second half.

Fyvie was superb. Showed why we should defo be keeping him imo

Lancs Harp
06-05-2017, 10:45 PM
It is all about opinions. Im not his greatest fan, not a great fan of playing a big man upfront but he had a decent game today. For me we lack movement and mobility and fluidity up top when we play Holt and play too much long stuff. Sorry but just not my bag. It stiffles the midfield as there is a lack of movement infront of them. Grant also has a habit of wandering all over the place and I dont agree with those that say he links well with Jase. I hardly ever see them interchange passes. Sorry not for me.

SMAXXA
06-05-2017, 10:49 PM
Not sure if this is a "whoosh moment" but, we do have a striker scoring 20 odd goals a season.

Yeah I said strikers, he is one of 4-5 I'd expect at least one of them to get 20 plus in that league. Not taking anything away from Cummings I just feel our play doesn't lend towards strikers getting loads of penalty area chances as such.

MWHIBBIES
06-05-2017, 11:30 PM
It is all about opinions. Im not his greatest fan, not a great fan of playing a big man upfront but he had a decent game today. For me we lack movement and mobility and fluidity up top when we play Holt and play too much long stuff. Sorry but just not my bag. It stiffles the midfield as there is a lack of movement infront of them. Grant also has a habit of wandering all over the place and I dont agree with those that say he links well with Jase. I hardly ever see them interchange passes. Sorry not for me.

It does not striffle the midfield. Playing McGinn and Bartley as a 2 does that FAR more than Holt. We were ****ing hopeless until Fyvie came on today, McGinn nor Marv have the brains to properly bring the ball out of defence and move it forward. That is why we were playing long stuff. Holt has often been the link between midfield and attack and the way we get out of defence to hold it upfront. What is wrong with him wandering all over the place? He is very effective and we're a much better side with him on the park.

We lack movement and mobility when the players who are supposed to be mobile and create movement are rubbish like Boyle, Cummings and McGinn were today.

Not aimed at you Lancs but I find it mad that people still can't see what Holt brings to the side. I thought the Aberdeen semi might've cleared it up, he is an absolutely excellent footballer and played a big part in getting us promoted.

Hi Heid Yin
06-05-2017, 11:38 PM
Grant Holt without question deserves a new contract. He has shown his worth throughout the campaign with his drive, fight and determination.
Yes, he could have scored more goals, but has it been a case of not being at full-fitness?
Is it coincidental that he has found a good level of fitness - albeit towards the end of this campaign and delivered also in terms of goals? I think not.
He is quality and great in the dressing room, apparently, so let's keep him onboard for next years challenges.

Lancs Harp
06-05-2017, 11:40 PM
Like I said mate its all about opinions. Its what message boards are for.:wink:

I would argue that the likes of McGinn struggle when we play a big man upfront because his options infront of him are restricted. I get frustrated with the lack of movement upfront.

MWHIBBIES
06-05-2017, 11:44 PM
Like I said mate its all about opinions. Its what message boards are for.:wink:

I would argue that the likes of McGinn struggle when we play a big man upfront because his options infront of him are restricted. I get frustrated with the lack of movement upfront.You might be right but I can't think of a time today where McGinn ever consistently had possession, he is hardly ever on the ball without McGeouch/Fyvie beside him. The only good piece of play we had in the first 45 minutes was McGinn finding a brilliant run from Holt and Shinnie blazing over.

Ronniekirk
07-05-2017, 06:46 AM
Grant Holt without question deserves a new contract. He has shown his worth throughout the campaign with his drive, fight and determination.
Yes, he could have scored more goals, but has it been a case of not being at full-fitness?
Is it coincidental that he has found a good level of fitness - albeit towards the end of this campaign and delivered also in terms of goals? I think not.
He is quality and great in the dressing room, apparently, so let's keep him onboard for next years challenges.

Well the question is Why hasn't he been offered anew contract when most of others have
Clearly someone has made that decision at the Club and Lennon must have been consulted about it you would think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil MaGlass
07-05-2017, 06:47 AM

:greengrin:greengrin

Fuzzywuzzy
07-05-2017, 06:56 AM
Certainly noised up stelios during the second half. Think he then elbowed Cummings in the chest thinking it was holt

B.H.F.C
07-05-2017, 07:01 AM

I think the biggest reason for him finding a few goals towards the end of the season has been that he's spent a bit more time in the box where you want to see your number nine.

I don't get the lack of fitness argument and I've seen it a couple of times. He was in for pre season and played plenty games at the start of the season, including 120 minutes in Brondby, so he had plenty time to get himself fit. Or as fit as a player of his age is going to get.

Bishop Hibee
07-05-2017, 07:05 AM
Surplus to requirements if we bring in Boyce or Moult.

superfurryhibby
07-05-2017, 07:10 AM
I think the biggest reason for him finding a few goals towards the end of the season has been that he's spent a bit more time in the box where you want to see your number nine.

I don't get the lack of fitness argument and I've seen it a couple of times. He was in for pre season and played plenty games at the start of the season, including 120 minutes in Brondby, so he had plenty time to get himself fit. Or as fit as a player of his age is going to get.

Tend to agree with this. Holt is clearly not in prime condition, but If he 's not match fit then WTF has he been doing in training all season long.

I like his attitude and will to win, but Hibs will need to sign better if we are to meet fans expectations in the SPL.

For me it thanks for the effort, good luck with the next career move.

Ozyhibby
07-05-2017, 07:36 AM
Good to see him equal James Collins goal return for the season. A league below right enough. [emoji23]

Baldy Foghorn
07-05-2017, 07:38 AM
Good to see him equal James Collins goal return for the season. A league below right enough. [emoji23]

You don't rate him, we know :yawn2:

Ronniekirk
07-05-2017, 07:59 AM

But he was a far more effective player for us than Collins ever was He changed the game v Aberdeen scored one and great assist for Dylan
There have been games when it hasn't worked for him and yep goal return has been meagre But he has played his part

Ozyhibby
07-05-2017, 08:07 AM
But he was a far more effective player for us than Collins ever was He changed the game v Aberdeen scored one and great assist for Dylan
There have been games when it hasn't worked for him and yep goal return has been meagre But he has played his part

And hopefully it's a case of thanks for that and good luck.
He's a popular big guy both with the fans and with his fellow pros. His attitude has been first class and I'm sure he has been great to have at the training centre.
On the pitch though, we will need a lot more than he can give us at this stage of his career next season when we move in to the premier league. With the crowds we are getting these days we should be looking to bring in a top quality striker for next season. Someone capable of hitting at least double figures in goals.

Smartie
07-05-2017, 08:23 AM
He's a popular big guy both with the fans and with his fellow pros. His attitude has been first class and I'm sure he has been great to have at the training centre.
On the pitch though, we will need a lot more than he can give us at this stage of his career next season when we move in to the premier league. With the crowds we are getting these days we should be looking to bring in a top quality striker for next season. Someone capable of hitting at least double figures in goals.

Holt is capable of that.

He hasn't done it this season but not because he isn't capable.

Or to look at it another way - we may need a player who will help Jason get as close to 30 goals as possible. I think Holt would be as good a shout as anyone to help make that happen.

wookie70
07-05-2017, 08:37 AM
Holt is capable of that.

He hasn't done it this season but not because he isn't capable.

Or to look at it another way - we may need a player who will help Jason get as close to 30 goals as possible. I think Holt would be as good a shout as anyone to help make that happen.

Jason scored more goals last year, 25 to 23, and almost as many the year before(21). If you get the ball to Jason around goals he will score. Holt has done no better than his previous partners and if we want Jason to score 30 then Holt doesn't look to be the answer. I would far rather we got another decent goalscorer in and gave defences someone else to worry about.

keep the faith
07-05-2017, 08:45 AM

He is indeed popular with fans and "supporters" of the team......

neil7908
07-05-2017, 08:45 AM

I haven't been Holt's biggest fan, he's definitely come on to a game recently though. I'm still not convinced that he warrants a new deal next year and I certainly wouldn't want him to be our first choice forward.

If he does stay however, like you say I'd be telling him to stay central, not go out wide or drop back into midfield. We need his physical presence and experience where it hurts teams, not on the half way line.

Also, one thing I'm hoping Swanson will do is actually get beyond the forwards. Right now we can have Cummings out wide, Holt dropping back buy none of our midfield seem comfortable bursting forward.

As a result Boyle will get past his man, look up and have one option in the middle. It feels a bit disjointed sometimes and if we're going to get our forwards to move around and pull their defence about, we need players to come in and exploit those gaps.

GreenNWhiteArmy
07-05-2017, 08:47 AM
It does not striffle the midfield. Playing McGinn and Bartley as a 2 does that FAR more than Holt. We were ****ing hopeless until Fyvie came on today, McGinn nor Marv have the brains to properly bring the ball out of defence and move it forward. That is why we were playing long stuff. Holt has often been the link between midfield and attack and the way we get out of defence to hold it upfront. What is wrong with him wandering all over the place? He is very effective and we're a much better side with him on the park.

We lack movement and mobility when the players who are supposed to be mobile and create movement are rubbish like Boyle, Cummings and McGinn were today.

Not aimed at you Lancs but I find it mad that people still can't see what Holt brings to the side. I thought the Aberdeen semi might've cleared it up, he is an absolutely excellent footballer and played a big part in getting us promoted.

Agree 100% mate really good post. Love the big man and what he offers

GreenNWhiteArmy
07-05-2017, 08:53 AM

And John Mcginn has scored less goals than Liam Craig in their 2 years here.... is Craig a better player then??

You've banged the same drum about goals every time this discussion comes up but sometimes, as has been alluded to om a number of occasions there's more to a players game than that

Ozyhibby
07-05-2017, 09:05 AM
And John Mcginn has scored less goals than Liam Craig in their 2 years here.... is Craig a better player then??

You've banged the same drum about goals every time this discussion comes up but sometimes, as has been alluded to om a number of occasions there's more to a players game than that

Getting the crowds we are getting I think we can get better than Grant Holt.

hibbysam
07-05-2017, 09:10 AM

I'm sure we can, however unless your planning on going into a new season with two strikers then I'm afraid Grant Holt is as good a squad player/coach as your likely to find anywhere.

blackpoolhibs
07-05-2017, 09:25 AM
If i was giving him marks out of 10 over the last month, he'd get a very good 8. Over the course of the season i'd give him a 5.

I personally want better than he's given over the whole season.

Ozyhibby
07-05-2017, 09:28 AM
I'm sure we can, however unless your planning on going into a new season with two strikers then I'm afraid Grant Holt is as good a squad player/coach as your likely to find anywhere.

Two potential problems there are that we also have Brian Graham and Ollie Shaw for next season and also would Grant Holt be prepared to live away from home for the wages we can afford to pay back ups?

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-05-2017, 09:29 AM
Holts' overall contribution suffers perhaps because there is a significant bit that can't be expressed as stats. We shouldn't get precious about players though and if Lennon can bring in better next season then that is surely a good thing.

GreenNWhiteArmy
07-05-2017, 09:32 AM
Two potential problems there are that we also have Brian Graham and Ollie Shaw for next season and also would Grant Holt be prepared to live away from home for the wages we can afford to pay back ups?

Genuinely think Graham will be offloaded. Someone will take him off our hands I believe. Oli Shaw. I can't really comment on him as I've never seen him play. Great stats in the development league. Would expect him to either be loaned out to the championship or begin pre season with the first team and see how it goes

hibbysam
07-05-2017, 09:37 AM

Or you could look another way and say that Graham won't be here and JC may be sold. Yes Shaw will be in the squad but whether or not he will be a success is still to be seen. I'm sure Holt will be over the moon to kick start his coaching career with the Hibs.

wookie70
07-05-2017, 10:21 AM
Watching the highlights and the movement for his goal yesterday was decent. Was it Holt's goal though. I have watched it from all the angles and it looks like it may have been an OG. Holt puts the foot up but it looks more like a bullet header from the defender. Hard to tell and Holt will be credited but did anyone get a good view from the FF.

Smartie
07-05-2017, 10:28 AM
Jason scored more goals last year, 25 to 23, and almost as many the year before(21). If you get the ball to Jason around goals he will score. Holt has done no better than his previous partners and if we want Jason to score 30 then Holt doesn't look to be the answer. I would far rather we got another decent goalscorer in and gave defences someone else to worry about.

Jason sat out a big chunk of the season otherwise he'd have got more.

Defences do worry about Holt, a Falkirk defender mentioned in an interview that he gave them a very different set of problems. A Falkirk side that we've struggled against at times over the past few years but got 10 points off this season.

marinello59
07-05-2017, 10:33 AM

I'd be delighted if we got better footballers at the club than Holt. He is one of the best players I have seen at the club in recent seasons. If we can afford better though.....

Franck Stanton
07-05-2017, 10:44 AM
Watching the highlights and the movement for his goal yesterday was decent. Was it Holt's goal though. I have watched it from all the angles and it looks like it may have been an OG. Holt puts the foot up but it looks more like a bullet header from the defender. Hard to tell and Holt will be credited but did anyone get a good view from the FF.

Yup, I sit near front of FF upper directly behind goal and saw clearly that it was def Holty's goal. No doubt what-so-ever.

wookie70
07-05-2017, 10:53 AM
Jason sat out a big chunk of the season otherwise he'd have got more.

Defences do worry about Holt, a Falkirk defender mentioned in an interview that he gave them a very different set of problems. A Falkirk side that we've struggled against at times over the past few years but got 10 points off this season.

A different set of problems could be wrestling on the right wing compared to the usual work of a defender in trying to stop a red hot striker.

Jason's goal scoring per minutes in the league dropped this year too. I don't think Holt has made any difference to how many goals Jason scores. He hasn't made any difference to how many Hibs score either as we hit the same league goals tally as last year - 59. Our big problem in recent years has been not scoring enough goals and relying on Jason. That has been the same this year and we can't let that happen next year even if Jason is still with us. If he leaves we have a big hole to fill.

Brightside
07-05-2017, 11:01 AM
He showed more work rate than the majority of the team yesterday. 36yo and out working kids.

Vault Boy
07-05-2017, 11:28 AM
Would be happy to see Holty stay in a player-coaching capacity, the role would suit him down to the ground IMO. As much as I like him, I'm not too sure he should be our main guy in the number 9 shirt, but he could certainly contribute next year.

Peevemor
07-05-2017, 11:39 AM
On the Hibs TV pitchside highlights it looks like Holt's goal to me.

The Leith Dutch
07-05-2017, 11:40 AM
A different set of problems could be wrestling on the right wing compared to the usual work of a defender in trying to stop a red hot striker.

Jason's goal scoring per minutes in the league dropped this year too. I don't think Holt has made any difference to how many goals Jason scores. He hasn't made any difference to how many Hibs score either as we hit the same league goals tally as last year - 59. Our big problem in recent years has been not scoring enough goals and relying on Jason. That has been the same this year and we can't let that happen next year even if Jason is still with us. If he leaves we have a big hole to fill.

One thing that interests me about a lot of the chat here is the assumption that Cummings will get the same (or more) goals in the league above while Holt will get less goals against higher quality opposition.

If I was a betting man I'd have Cummings down at 10-15 league goals next season.
Not a bad return but I'll be genuinely (and pleasantly) surprised if he hits 20 or more.

Not saying it's an easy replacement but I could imagine us getting good coin for him and replacing him with Boyce or Moult to equal effect on the goals front.

Holt I reckon might do better next season in the league up. Not hugely but I could see him pushing up to 10 in the league.
What he does give us and what we do need to either keep him for or replace is precisely that "different set of problems".

I agree he sometimes gets dragged too far into noising up the opposition defence but I think that noising up and physicality is the difference between hitting the targets many people on here are setting for the league and winding up in lower mid table or worse.

Completely agree though that we have to sort out the problems of scoring goals.

Up front I'd punt Graham and Keatings. I'd keep Holt and then sign 2 strikers (3 if Cummings goes) all of whom should be targeting a starting berth and 10-15 goals in the league.

Behind them - and I almost think this is the more important part - I'd like to see at least one winger (be interested to see what happens with Humphrey and Harris but I suspect I'm not alone in hoping for GMS style bum off the seat quality).
I'd also like two options for the number 10 role - not sure if Swanson plays that but I'd sign Mallan for one of them.
Bit of a gamble but he's looked the part whenever I've seen him play. Or ideally Scott Allan only, y'know, without them being actually Scott Allan ;)

Lancs Harp
07-05-2017, 11:49 AM
One thing that interests me about a lot of the chat here is the assumption that Cummings will get the same (or more) goals in the league above while Holt will get less goals against higher quality opposition.

If I was a betting man I'd have Cummings down at 10-15 league goals next season.
Not a bad return but I'll be genuinely (and pleasantly) surprised if he hits 20 or more.

Not saying it's an easy replacement but I could imagine us getting good coin for him and replacing him with Boyce or Moult to equal effect on the goals front.

Holt I reckon might do better next season in the league up. Not hugely but I could see him pushing up to 10 in the league.
What he does give us and what we do need to either keep him for or replace is precisely that "different set of problems".

I agree he sometimes gets dragged too far into noising up the opposition defence but I think that noising up and physicality is the difference between hitting the targets many people on here are setting for the league and winding up in lower mid table or worse.

Completely agree though that we have to sort out the problems of scoring goals.

Up front I'd punt Graham and Keatings. I'd keep Holt and then sign 2 strikers (3 if Cummings goes) all of whom should be targeting a starting berth and 10-15 goals in the league.

Behind them - and I almost think this is the more important part - I'd like to see at least one winger (be interested to see what happens with Humphrey and Harris but I suspect I'm not alone in hoping for GMS style bum off the seat quality).
I'd also like two options for the number 10 role - not sure if Swanson plays that but I'd sign Mallan for one of them.
Bit of a gamble but he's looked the part whenever I've seen him play. Or ideally Scott Allan only, y'know, without them being actually Scott Allan ;)

I'm not ure Mallan did look the part yesterday. Ive heard alot about him but seen very little of him, so with the constant links to signing for Hibs I was particularly interested in how he fared yesterday so watched him closely. Im certainly not saying he isnt a good player (which would be absurd after just seeing one game) but wasnt exactly impressed with him yesterday.

The Leith Dutch
07-05-2017, 12:02 PM
I'm not ure Mallan did look the part yesterday. Ive heard alot about him but seen very little of him, so with the constant links to signing for Hibs I was particularly interested in how he fared yesterday so watched him closely. Im certainly not saying he isnt a good player (which would be absurd after just seeing one game) but wasnt exactly impressed with him yesterday.

In my defence couldn't make it along yesterday.
Heard he made a decent run for their goal although also heard that we may have been charitable in our attempts at stopping that run :)

I seem to recall he looked good last time at ER plus gets a fair few assists.

Also, judging by this he can beat a man, shoot from distance, pick a pass and take a corner all of which we're severely lacking in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSeylqVrc-I

I reckon for what he'd cost in transfer plus wages it's well worth a punt.

Also there's that weird thing of whether you can imagine someone in a Hibs jersey or not.
Mallen looks like someone you could see in a Hibs top in the way that I could never imagine Kris Boyd in one.

Eyrie
07-05-2017, 12:14 PM
I like Holt's commitment and he comes over as someone who is very likeable as a person.

That said, he's not here to be my best mate. He was signed to play centre forward for Hibs but has neither scored enough goals not created enough despite a willingness to graft. Next year he will be a year older and slower, whilst playing at a higher level against better players, so there is no reason to assume that he will even match what he managed to do this year. For those who want to claim that he got fitter as the season went on, how much longer will he need next year to get fit at his age?

I'll wish him well for his future but I don't think it is in Hibs interests for that future to be here next season. We need better simply to finish in the top four, let alone challenge for second.

wookie70
07-05-2017, 12:58 PM

I kept an eye out for Mallon and I didn't think he had a great game. I thought St Mirren's left winger, Lewis Morgan, was the best player on the park by a margin. Gave SDG and Ambrose real problems. Key in their goal and should have had a penalty. He is contracted until May 2018 so would cost but a left winger like him and an attacking midfielder like Swanson could see goals be shared out far better and take the pressure of JC and possibly provide the service that will make Holt want to be in the box more.

ancient hibee
07-05-2017, 02:08 PM
Somebody like Morgan who can cross the ball is essential.I watched Boyle yesterday,presumably playing for his future,and in the first half he was given five golden opportunities on the right and didn't once get the ball in properly.OK they'd started their holidays but his display along with Keatings when he came on was very disappointing.

Spike Mandela
07-05-2017, 02:17 PM
A year older, a step up in opposition and no time for sentimentality. Grant gave his all but we should aim for better.

Thanks for your effort.........NEXT!

matty_f
07-05-2017, 02:21 PM

**** sake, who needs enemies and all that...

500miles
07-05-2017, 03:11 PM
If we're playing big games against Hearts, Aberdeen and Rangers, you at least want Holt as an option.

WeeRussell
07-05-2017, 03:33 PM
If i was giving him marks out of 10 over the last month, he'd get a very good 8. Over the course of the season i'd give him a 5.

I personally want better than he's given over the whole season.

Think this is just about where I'm at. Yesterday was up there with the best from him, took his goal well and deserved man of the match, but it was amongst a very passive hibs performance and still wasn't enough to convince me he's the answer next season. The constant desire to grab at people and wrestle with them, whether near the action or not, does my head in also. As does the moaning at others whenever he tries something that doesn't come off.

He's had a few decent games, and the majority of them tend to be exaggerated in terms of how good he was. Not for me next season, but despite the mainly negative remarks from me above.. he'll have my full support if he is here and hopefully he'll prove me, Oz and others wrong!!

I do hope we sign better though. Even more so if we lose Jason!

Pete
07-05-2017, 03:36 PM
I bet Hearts are wishing they had Grant Holt to bring on right now.

Kaiserclem
07-05-2017, 05:12 PM
I think a lot of fans forget that Holt didn't play for nearly 2 years due to a terrible injury. An injury that at his age would normally finish players careers. Probably taken all season to get going again. Lack of decent deliveries from wide areas hasn't helped either.

He won't play every minute of every game next season but will have an impact for us, hopefully he stays.

WeeRussell
07-05-2017, 05:42 PM
I think a lot of fans forget that Holt didn't play for nearly 2 years due to a terrible injury. An injury that at his age would normally finish players careers. Probably taken all season to get going again. Lack of decent deliveries from wide areas hasn't helped either.

He won't play every minute of every game next season but will have an impact for us, hopefully he stays.

I didn't forget it, I never knew that in the first place. Doesn't make any difference to our opinions on how he's performed this season though.

edwards
07-05-2017, 06:07 PM
I would really like hime to stay for another year thanks for helping us win this league

frazeHFC
07-05-2017, 08:24 PM
He's been brilliant lately. Aside from his goal yesterday, had some brilliant knock downs in the box, the one to Shinnie should have led to a goal.

His tracking back yesterday was great to see, 100% effort. Really hope he stays.

HoboHarry
07-05-2017, 08:50 PM

It's a real pity that the good number of sensible posts you put up on the Sevco thread are more than washed away by the nonsensical and negative garbage you post on threads like this.

Northernhibee
07-05-2017, 08:53 PM
He's actually done more for our defence than anything else. In the past if we had to punt it forward it would come straight back at us. Holt can hold the ball up, plays some lovely flick ons to bring other players into the game, allows other players to get forward - he's brought a lot to the team.

MrSmith
08-05-2017, 10:56 AM
He's actually done more for our defence than anything else. In the past if we had to punt it forward it would come straight back at us. Holt can hold the ball up, plays some lovely flick ons to bring other players into the game, allows other players to get forward - he's brought a lot to the team.

My view too! I'd definitely give him another season.

Up The Bracket
08-05-2017, 04:35 PM
Been told from a pretty decent source that he's left Hibs along with Humphrey and Harris, disappointed if true, can go out with his head held high, brought a lot to the team and put in some brilliant performances, excited to see who we bring in though.

TelaStella
08-05-2017, 04:40 PM
Hopefully he'll stick around for another season as we could defiantly be doing with that type of option.

Sean1875
08-05-2017, 04:52 PM
I appreciate what Grants done but you've got to assume that he's going to be one of our top earners as it is, so if he was to sign a new deal then it wouldnt be unlikely that he would be on the same if not a higher wage - cant help but feel we could probably invest that wage in someone who would provide a greater goal return