View Full Version : St mirren fans

gjb1875
06-05-2017, 06:52 PM
Thought they were brilliant today really backed there team, good numbers and very noisy well done to them and well done the hibs fans for clapping them off the park
Hibs class

06-05-2017, 06:55 PM
Excellent today. Loudest fans I've heard at ER for a while. Our pink chums across the city could take a leaf out their book. Fair play to the ones that stayed for the presentation and SOL. Hope they come up next season.

06-05-2017, 06:57 PM
Brilliant support from them today. Good numbers and plenty singing and atmosphere. Fair play to them.

Always have a wee admiration for fans of St Mirren, Partick Thsitle etc for supporting their club and not taken the easy option and been swayed to go and support one of the bigot brothers.

06-05-2017, 06:59 PM
Excellent today. Loudest fans I've heard at ER for a while. Our pink chums across the city could take a leaf out their book. Fair play to the ones that stayed for the presentation and SOL. Hope they come up next season.

Oh god without a doubt they had more songs and made more noise than the so called "big team"! Christ you could have heard a pin drop in their end when they came to ER a few months back. Embarrassing support especially in what was their biggets game of the season!

06-05-2017, 06:59 PM
:agree: Best away support at ER this season

pontius pilate
06-05-2017, 07:02 PM
Class supporters stayed to the end and what a noise. Constantly backed their team. Credit to them.

06-05-2017, 07:02 PM
Oh god without a doubt they had more songs and made more noise than the so called "big team"! Christ you could have heard a pin drop in their end when they came to ER a few months back. Embarrassing support especially in what was their biggets game of the season!

06-05-2017, 07:04 PM
Yes best away support i've seen in a very long time.Though imagine if brondby fans had filled the same area? Nightmare.

06-05-2017, 07:06 PM
Thought they were brilliant today really backed there team, good numbers and very noisy well done to them and well done the hibs fans for clapping them off the park
Hibs class

Full marks to them today. Some were even videoing Sunshine on Leith at the end.

06-05-2017, 07:08 PM
They were loud cause they had a reason for; btw a Hibs win and they'd have finished bottom 2, bet they wouldn't have been as vocal otherwise. As an aside I'm glad they survived.

06-05-2017, 07:18 PM
They were so loud online. They came for a party, and had one- Well Done them!

06-05-2017, 07:23 PM
Great support from the Saints fans. Nice touch that they stayed for the presentation, also nice touch from the West standers applauding the St Mirren players off the park , which was appreciated by them.

06-05-2017, 07:26 PM
If there is a St Mirren fan who says that today was not the best day of their season they are lying.

They turned up in numbers, sang their hearts out, dragged there team back into it, and quite rightly enjoyed the celebrations at the end.

Remember that was the championship. Full house, 19,700 odd fans, great atmosphere, everyone went home happy. Best away support at ER by miles. Will we get an atmosphere every week like that in the Premier League? No chance.

Every one of them could take the easy way out and follow the bigot brothers.

Heard them singing 'When the Saints go marching in' at ER in the mid fifties. Great to hear them still singing it today.

I take my hat off to every one of them.

06-05-2017, 07:29 PM
If there is a St Mirren fan who says that today was not the best day of their season they are lying.

They turned up in numbers, sang their hearts out, dragged there team back into it, and quite rightly enjoyed the celebrations at the end.

Remember that was the championship. Full house, 19,700 odd fans, great atmosphere, everyone went home happy. Best away support at ER by miles. Will we get an atmosphere every week like that in the Premier League? No chance.

Heard them singing 'When the Saints go marching in' at ER in the mid fifties. Great to hear them still singing it today.

Nice post mate

06-05-2017, 07:36 PM
Always quite liked St Mirren especially after they helped continue Hearts LC hoodoo relatively recently.

As I've always said when you get games that matter Scottish football attracts numbers. St Mirren brought a good crowd who were loud throughout, they got the result they needed, earned their applause from the Hibs fans and a decent number of them returned the favour.

Good luck to them next season.

06-05-2017, 07:36 PM
Good support. Better than dundee utd and Falkirk.

06-05-2017, 07:38 PM
Great support from the Saints fans. Nice touch that they stayed for the presentation, also nice touch from the West standers applauding the St Mirren players off the park , which was appreciated by them.

We were clapping them in the East too! :greengrin

I'm glad they stayed up, a run like that deserves to have a good ending.

06-05-2017, 07:51 PM
St. Liedown

06-05-2017, 07:52 PM
St. Liedown

I love when the yams call them that! They seem to forget that hearts had their destiny in their own hands, they only needed a point i think.

06-05-2017, 07:53 PM
St. Liedown

Only for their beloved Celtic.

They gave the Famous a jolly good thrashing in the wee (can't win it) cup final.

06-05-2017, 07:53 PM
I love when the yams call them that! They seem to forget that hearts had their destiny in their own hands, they only needed a point i think.

What happened?

06-05-2017, 07:59 PM
What happened?

There simply must be video evidence of this event, surely?

06-05-2017, 08:02 PM
What happened?

Not sure, perhaps a wee youtube search will jog our memories though :greengrin

06-05-2017, 08:08 PM
We were clapping them in the East too! :greengrin

I'm glad they stayed up, a run like that deserves to have a good ending.

Nope I'm not believing that the radges in the East applauded them 😁.

06-05-2017, 08:10 PM
Good songbook as well, was waiting on them singing "Hibs, Hibs , whoooaah Hibs" and that as well. :greengrin

06-05-2017, 08:13 PM
Good club. Thanks for 86 👍

06-05-2017, 08:23 PM
Not sure, perhaps a wee youtube search will jog our memories though :greengrin

I'm on to it. :greengrin

06-05-2017, 08:24 PM
Best away fans of the season and loudest plus behaved themselves.

Today was a great advert for Scottish football - a full stadium - great weather - 2 sets of fans singing away..ok wasn't a classic game but was fantastic to see plus Hibs fans clapping the efforts of the saints today.

I'm grateful for saints beating the yams in league cup a few years ago plus 86 !!

Strong chance of them getting promoted last next season. Some good players and style of play.

Slim Shady
06-05-2017, 08:35 PM
Sadly like most clubs they have their element of fan dans. I'm not sure how to post the picture I have, it's a half bottle of buckfast that narrowly missed my brothers head and smashed landing on the stairs in west lower having been launched from the south.

****ers. My wife and daughter were paranoid for the rest for first half until stewards arrived, who were first class.

Could've ruined a great family day out.

06-05-2017, 08:35 PM
I'd expect any club in the top 2 divisions to bring a good support when their team really needs it. 3rd time we've played St Mirren this season at Easter Road, only time they've had any fans.

.SeventyFive
06-05-2017, 08:36 PM
They were so loud online. They came for a party, and had one- Well Done them!

I heard their fans celebrate the goal on Great Junction Street!

SolentHibee
06-05-2017, 08:42 PM
Sadly like most clubs they have their element of fan dans. I'm not sure how to post the picture I have, it's a half bottle of buckfast that narrowly missed my brothers head and smashed landing on the stairs in west lower having been launched from the south.

****ers. My wife and daughter were paranoid for the rest for first half until stewards arrived, who were first class.

Could've ruined a great family day out.

Slim, I was about eight rows behind you and saw what happened; the bottle definitely fell out of the pocket of a hibs fan running down the stairs and he just kept on moving. If you think about it, the bottle and its contents were lying in one spot whereas if it had come from the saints fans it would have smashed laterally, spreading the glass and its contents from the point of impact towards you.

06-05-2017, 08:59 PM
They copied at least 4 of our songs 😂

06-05-2017, 08:59 PM
I was sitting six feet away from where bottle was. Definitely not thrown. It would have had to clear the wall at the exit to land where it was. The neck was broken off. If it had been lobbed from 30 yards away it would have shattered and done some real damage. Chap next to me saw it drop from guy's pocket on his way downstairs. Perhaps this individual would like to own up to being the proud owner of a half bottle of buckie. Obviously smuggled it past the stewards on the way in. Chap next to me saw it fall from the guy's pocket. Looked unsavoury and while it took the stewards a while to get their act together they did clear it up.

Can't blame the Saints fans for this one I'm afraid.

I've been at many matches over the decades (mostly when our Glaswegian friends are in attendance) where bottles thrown have done some real damage and believe me, today was not one of them.

HFCdeb
06-05-2017, 09:12 PM
They were brilliant today, I'm so chuffed for them that they're staying up...but also hoping we can sign Stevie Mallan, that boy is a talent.

06-05-2017, 09:12 PM
They copied at least 4 of our songs 😂

That's true..off the top of my head..

Allez allez oh
McGregor song
The song we sing after we score with the drum
John McGinn song

06-05-2017, 09:20 PM
Slim, I was about eight rows behind you and saw what happened; the bottle definitely fell out of the pocket of a hibs fan running down the stairs and he just kept on moving. If you think about it, the bottle and its contents were lying in one spot whereas if it had come from the saints fans it would have smashed laterally, spreading the glass and its contents from the point of impact towards you.

That's kind of good to hear.

Half a bottle of Buckfast? Must be one of the creepy Jambos who like to attend our matches.

06-05-2017, 09:25 PM
I'm glad they stayed up; it took them months to win a game, and for a long time their task looked hopeless. They displayed a lot of spirit to get themselves out of it. They've had a very hard time these past few years, so well done to them.

RoscoHibby
06-05-2017, 09:45 PM
In hindsight I'm kinda glad they stayed up and they did bring a decent crowd n made some noise. Did comment at game they've obviously been listening to us too long n have nicked all our songs though! Shameless!

06-05-2017, 09:52 PM

Today was a great advert for Scottish football - a full stadium - great weather - 2 sets of fans singing away..ok wasn't a classic game but was fantastic to see plus Hibs fans clapping the efforts of the saints today.

I'm grateful for saints beating the yams in league cup a few years ago plus 86 !!

Strong chance of them getting promoted last next season. Some good players and style of play.

Ah but armageddon ye ken!

06-05-2017, 10:15 PM
Cool video of saints fans singing SOL in a boozer in Paisley presumable.

https://twitter.com/stmirrenactive/status/860958944793165825

Glad they stayed up. A quality turnout today from their fans and how far adrift they were to now....that is a phenomenal achievement. Deserved a happy ending. Scotland needs teams and crowds like St Mirren today in the top leagues. Looking at Hamilton away fans today it was an utter embarrassment.

06-05-2017, 10:25 PM
I was sitting six feet away from where bottle was. Definitely not thrown. It would have had to clear the wall at the exit to land where it was. The neck was broken off. If it had been lobbed from 30 yards away it would have shattered and done some real damage. Chap next to me saw it drop from guy's pocket on his way downstairs. Perhaps this individual would like to own up to being the proud owner of a half bottle of buckie. Obviously smuggled it past the stewards on the way in. Chap next to me saw it fall from the guy's pocket. Looked unsavoury and while it took the stewards a while to get their act together they did clear it up.

Can't blame the Saints fans for this one I'm afraid.

I've been at many matches over the decades (mostly when our Glaswegian friends are in attendance) where bottles thrown have done some real damage and believe me, today was not one of them.

Bottle fell out someone's jacket, he could hardly own up to it.

06-05-2017, 10:29 PM

Glad they stayed up. A quality turnout today from their fans and how far adrift they were to now....that is a phenomenal achievement. Deserved a happy ending. Scotland needs teams and crowds like St Mirren today in the top leagues. Looking at Hamilton away fans today it was an utter embarrassment.

:greengrin They all know the words as well.

06-05-2017, 10:43 PM

Before I clicked on the link I thought hang on a second, that's our song but it is actually quite a cool video. How would we feel if they adopted it as an anthem, like Celtic did with Liverpool's You'll Never Walk Alone?

06-05-2017, 10:48 PM
Before I clicked on the link I thought hang on a second, that's our song but it is actually quite a cool video. How would we feel if they adopted it as an anthem, like Celtic did with Liverpool's You'll Never Walk Alone?

I think they should go for it. They'd have to change the words slightly.
It would always be a song associated with hibs, but it wouldn't bother me if another team adopted it. As long as it wasn't one of the gruesome twosome.

06-05-2017, 10:52 PM
:greengrin They all know the words as well.

Looks like they were on the screen karaoke style.

06-05-2017, 10:54 PM

It will always be our song. It's in the title. You could change the words but it will always be sunshine on LEITH.

Other fans enjoy it and that's cool but they need to find their own song.

06-05-2017, 10:56 PM
It will always be our song. It's in the title. You could change the words but it will always be sunshine on LEITH.

Other fans enjoy it and that's cool but they need to find their own song.

They could sing 'You're from the capital, we're from a ****hole'

06-05-2017, 11:02 PM
How many of you after watching that video watched the sunshine on leith from the final? I did, twice.

06-05-2017, 11:10 PM
How many of you after watching that video watched the sunshine on leith from the final? I did, twice.

Me too. Watched it hundreds of times since last May but I've yet to watch the DVD which is lying in my telly cabinet still sealed.

06-05-2017, 11:11 PM
Think it was a bit tongue in cheek because they secured safety in leith. Fair play to them. Lay down to deny Hertz the league then skelped them in the league cup final.

I fancy them to win the league next year. Dundee Utd are all over the shop, ICT aren't going to be great. Maybe Falkirk could push them I suppose but they might be hungover from their wild celebrations after securing 2nd two years in a row.

06-05-2017, 11:13 PM
Me too. Watched it hundreds of times since last May but I've yet to watch the DVD which is lying in my telly cabinet still sealed.

It's mental that. It took me about 6 months before I could watch it. I still can't explain why, but when I did it made the whole experience of winning the cup complete. You'll get there eventually mate :greengrin

Pete70
06-05-2017, 11:14 PM
All credit to the Saints fan today. Turned up in their numbers and done their club proud. Fair play also to the few hundred who stayed after the final whistle to applaud Hibs lifting the trophy

06-05-2017, 11:24 PM
How many songs did they copy from us?

06-05-2017, 11:33 PM

It was a cringe, almost our entire songbook. Can we please stop copying Celtic now that we've seen how bad it is?

06-05-2017, 11:55 PM

Didn't realise St Mirren thumped them 6-2 at the start of the season as well 😂.

07-05-2017, 12:00 AM
Pathetic. Praising the the away support....who gives a monkeys.

07-05-2017, 12:23 AM
Pathetic. Praising the the away support....who gives a monkeys.

Obviously those who applauded them. They can't all be as hard as you though the pathetic wasters. I think you are great though and if you want my dinner money just say.

cheltenhamhibee
07-05-2017, 12:32 AM

Liverpool stole it as well, it was originally sung at Old Trafford after the Munich air disaster

The Pointer
07-05-2017, 12:52 AM

Well said. I congratulated a Saints laddie in Robbies this evening as I thought their support was superb. I live one and a half hours West of Paisley and admire their fans for not submitting to the Ugly Sisters. Paisley Buddies are not Weegies. Well done Sainties and I hope you come up next season.

07-05-2017, 01:12 AM
Liverpool stole it as well, it was originally sung at Old Trafford after the Munich air disaster

There's no evidence to back this claim up.

07-05-2017, 01:37 AM
There's no evidence to back this claim up.
I had a look on the net after reading it and there's a few man united fans claiming that there grandparents told them they sung it. I think it's bollocks though as there would be plenty united fans still alive that would be able to back up the claim.

07-05-2017, 02:30 AM
I had a look on the net after reading it and there's a few man united fans claiming that there grandparents told them they sung it. I think it's bollocks though as there would be plenty united fans still alive that would be able to back up the claim.

Yeah apparently a young opera singer sang it in tribute to the air disaster on one occasion before a match at Old Trafford.

It's kind of like Leicester claiming "time to say goodbye" as their own in 40 years time.

Johnny Clash
07-05-2017, 06:16 AM
It was a cringe, almost our entire songbook. Can we please stop copying Celtic now that we've seen how bad it is?

Its almost impossible to say what fans started what song... so I wouldn't get too worried. All fans recycle songs/tunes.

That's the great thing about Sunshine on Leith. Everyone knows it's a Hibs anthem!

07-05-2017, 06:38 AM

We didn't exactly make these songs up ourselves did we. Football chants are recycled. Get over it 😂

07-05-2017, 07:09 AM
Obviously those who applauded them. They can't all be as hard as you though the pathetic wasters. I think you are great though and if you want my dinner money just say.

07-05-2017, 07:57 AM

murray26
07-05-2017, 10:01 AM

Well done St Mirren fans.. that's what footballs all about..

07-05-2017, 10:12 AM

Haha heard that some granny tried to claim we stole it, desperate. It's Liverpool's anthem and always has been. Of course the song has been sung before in many places but we started it as a football anthem no one else.

07-05-2017, 10:48 AM
Pish club, pish support imo

07-05-2017, 10:51 AM

Pish post imo

07-05-2017, 10:51 AM

Harsh

07-05-2017, 10:53 AM

Ok Do you wish they all supported Rangers or Celtic instead ??

The only club that is supporter owned without almost going under ...

Not sure what more you expect from a small city club in Scotland

Mind you with that type of post - I guess you just dislike all other clubs and fans

07-05-2017, 11:05 AM
Yup, best away support at ER this season ..... a third the size of what the Yams brought and 10 times the noise. Its true that St Mirren haven't brought a support anything like that in the last 3 seasons, but when their club needed them they stepped up and that must give St Mirren hope that if they can achieve something other than just survival they will be able to grow their home support.

Good luck to them next season, only another catastrophically stupid decision by their board will stop them challenging if they can hold onto most of their players.

07-05-2017, 11:22 AM
Have a tiny soft spot for St Mirren - decent wee away day and admire the club's supporters for making their choice when it would be oh so easy for them to support one of the Old Firm. Their fans were brilliant yesterday and the equaliser they scored was brilliant football. Glad they stayed up. :aok:

07-05-2017, 11:45 AM
Have a tiny soft spot for St Mirren - decent wee away day and admire the club's supporters for making their choice when it would be oh so easy for them to support one of the Old Firm. Their fans were brilliant yesterday and the equaliser they scored was brilliant football. Glad they stayed up. :aok:

I actually applauded their goal. Something I rarely do. Well taken and fully deserved.

07-05-2017, 11:49 AM

Classy.

07-05-2017, 11:52 AM
I thought St Mirren fans were great yesterday. Turned up, made lots of noise and got behind their side. They certainly added to the occasion for me.

07-05-2017, 12:01 PM

Their fans, their style of play (didn't park the bus) and the lack of cynicism in their game (unlike Falkirk) was a refreshing change.
Given the importance of the match to them, there were very few fouls. Also spoke to a couple of their supporters going up ER and they were sound as a pound.
If only all supporters (including us) were like that.
Hats off to St Mirren yesterday.
FWIW, I'm sure it was the whole stadium that applauded them off the park.

07-05-2017, 12:49 PM

I remember the United supporters singing "You'll Never Walk Again"!

07-05-2017, 01:36 PM
Always had a soft spot for St Mirren due to their involvement in Hearts blowing the title in 86.

Then they pumped them in a cup final and handed us the title by drawing at Falkirk.👍🏻

07-05-2017, 01:37 PM
It's mental that. It took me about 6 months before I could watch it. I still can't explain why, but when I did it made the whole experience of winning the cup complete. You'll get there eventually mate :greengrin

I got it the day it came out and it's still sitting all sealed up waiting for "the moment".

07-05-2017, 01:44 PM

You dinnae quite get these things do you?

07-05-2017, 09:06 PM
Haha heard that some granny tried to claim we stole it, desperate. It's Liverpool's anthem and always has been. Of course the song has been sung before in many places but we started it as a football anthem no one else.
All before my time, but I'm reliably informed that most English clubs sang YNWA throughout the 60's/70's (and seen plenty of videos that seem to back that up). I'm not entirely convinced that Liverpool were the first to sing it, but they were the first to really make it their own.

07-05-2017, 09:13 PM
I remember the United supporters singing "You'll Never Walk Again"!

Walk on with a boot in your groin and you'll never walk again..... was a particular favourite of the skinheads.

08-05-2017, 09:11 AM

:not worth:greengrin

08-05-2017, 01:56 PM
All before my time, but I'm reliably informed that most English clubs sang YNWA throughout the 60's/70's (and seen plenty of videos that seem to back that up). I'm not entirely convinced that Liverpool were the first to sing it, but they were the first to really make it their own.

There you go concrete evidence. :confused: