PDA

View Full Version : Cowdenbeath

Hibernia&Alba
06-05-2017, 05:30 PM
We played them in the Championship just a couple of seasons ago, but could soon be four divisions apart, now they have finished bottom of Division Two. How quickly football can change; Beath have dropped like a stone through the leagues. Are they totally skinto just now or what?

CraigHibee
06-05-2017, 05:32 PM
We played them in the Championship just a couple of seasons ago, but could soon be four divisions apart, now they have finished bottom of Division Two. How quickly football can change; Beath have dropped like a stone through the leagues. Are they totally skinto just now or what?

Just gash is my guess

offshorehibby
06-05-2017, 05:33 PM
Looks like they'll be playing East Kilbride

overdrive
06-05-2017, 05:36 PM
The guy I sit next to at work is a part-time Cowdenbeath fan. He's convinced they'll go down. They play East Kilbride in the play off. East Kilbride have already beaten Cowdenbeath this season in the Scottish Cup.

Hibernia&Alba
06-05-2017, 05:42 PM
Just gash is my guess

Aye, but it seems strange that a team can go from Championship to bottom of the fourth tier so quickly. That's some fall.

Northernhibee
06-05-2017, 05:44 PM
I remember when we beat them 5-0 at ER (with a Lewie goal too) they were sitting in even when three or four behind. Cowardly anti-football outfit.

Cheerio.

18Hibee75
06-05-2017, 05:55 PM
Aye, but it seems strange that a team can go from Championship to bottom of the fourth tier so quickly. That's some fall.
The have an average attendance of about 350 I think it is. Seems strange, however.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Del Boy
06-05-2017, 05:57 PM
Tory ********

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-05-2017, 06:03 PM
Magic bevvy in the Goth near the train station, cheap as chips!

Danderhall Hibs
06-05-2017, 06:42 PM
They employed Gary Locke as manager, what did they expect?

Pete
06-05-2017, 06:44 PM

I think they are more near their level now.

When we were in the same league we were both in places we didn't really belong in historical terms.

Joe6-2
06-05-2017, 06:44 PM

Pish

overdrive
06-05-2017, 06:55 PM

To be fair, they probably should have punted his predecessor before they did. It was a bizarre situation where he was on loan from Hearts. I've never heard of a team getting a manager on loan from another team.

SirDavidsNapper
06-05-2017, 06:57 PM
Mini huns. Good riddance

FitbaFolkKen
06-05-2017, 07:17 PM

How does he keep getting jobs with stats like these? Proper downwards spiral!

06-05-2017, 07:22 PM
Amazing how far they've fallen tbh. It was only a few months ago that I realised how low they were, I actually still thought they were just a league below us.

hibbysam
06-05-2017, 07:24 PM
Locke had the cheek to say during the week that if held shown recent form at the start of the season then they'd be on the verge of promotion. 12 from 27 is nowhere near pro motion form. Little ugly mutant.

Libby Hibby
06-05-2017, 07:26 PM
That would be some achievement for Locke if both the teams he managed this season were to be relegated.

Waxy
06-05-2017, 07:40 PM
They seem to have always had a link with the jambos. Cmon EK.

DaveF
06-05-2017, 08:24 PM
Magic bevvy in the Goth near the train station, cheap as chips!

Cheap yes. Magic no.

It was a throw back to the 1970s minus the maderia cake.

Nameless
06-05-2017, 08:30 PM
Hopefully keep dropping until they disappear completely.

BoomtownHibees
06-05-2017, 08:52 PM

Pissed on

greenlex
06-05-2017, 08:55 PM
I think Donald's taken his eye off the Ball. He is rather busy at the moment mind.

J-C
07-05-2017, 08:15 AM
And this is the very reason why Scottish football needs a real shake up to it's league structure. We have far too many tinpot wee clubs floating around division 2, regional conference style football needs introduced to allow Beath and teams like them to play in a league with E Kilbride etc. We only need 2 main divisions of 16 teams up here with the rest split into regions, winners having play offs etc.

18Hibee75
07-05-2017, 08:36 AM
And this is the very reason why Scottish football needs a real shake up to it's league structure. We have far too many tinpot wee clubs floating around division 2, regional conference style football needs introduced to allow Beath and teams like them to play in a league with E Kilbride etc. We only need 2 main divisions of 16 teams up here with the rest split into regions, winners having play offs etc.
Sort of agree. Think there should be three divisions, the premiership to have a 14 team division and the other two to have twelve. IMO it would make the championship more competitive as there would be a real chance of getting to the premiership and the teams like Peterhead, Albion rovers etc could play in league one.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Fenriz
07-05-2017, 08:53 AM
Cowdenbeath are a team with a long and interesting history. The disdain that some folk on here have for smaller/struggling clubs strikes me as very Mercer-esque. Don't like it at all.

Check out this wee documentary about Central Park, with some fan stories:

https://youtu.be/TUifUrFWTmE

greenginger
07-05-2017, 09:04 AM
How did East Stirling do this year after dropping out lat year ?

MSK
07-05-2017, 09:06 AM
How did East Stirling do this year after dropping out lat year ?Finished 2nd to East Kilbride

nairn hibee
07-05-2017, 09:08 AM
How did East Stirling do this year after dropping out lat year ?
I think they finished 2nd

SChibs
07-05-2017, 10:02 AM
At the moment the winner or the lowland league play the winner of the highlamd league then the winner plays last place in league 2. What happens if the lowland league winners win the play offs against say Elgin? Elgin surely can't go into the lowland league so how does that work?

bigwheel
07-05-2017, 10:08 AM
At the moment the winner or the lowland league play the winner of the highlamd league then the winner plays last place in league 2. What happens if the lowland league winners win the play offs against say Elgin? Elgin surely can't go into the lowland league so how does that work?

they'd go in to the Highland league

fat freddy
07-05-2017, 10:13 AM
I still haven't dried out since our last visit there, poured down for the entire match but they wouldn't let us shelter in their empty wooden stand

LancashireHibby
07-05-2017, 09:13 PM

The two leagues would just run with one less/one extra team as appropriate. Not sure what would happen if the scenario was repeated several times over but I'm sure they'll cross that when they come to it.

SirDavidsNapper
07-05-2017, 09:51 PM
As a Fifer I've always thought there were too many clubs in the county. It's a county that is dominated by old firm fans sadly so clubs like the Pars and Rovers struggle a bit. The Blue Brazil are basically Rangers fans without the bus fare.

bigell
08-05-2017, 03:54 PM
The two leagues would just run with one less/one extra team as appropriate. Not sure what would happen if the scenario was repeated several times over but I'm sure they'll cross that when they come to it.

Selkirk we waiting on the results of the playoff, aparently if Buckie won and defeated Cowdenbeath, Cowden would drop into the Lowland and Selkirk would drop into the East of Scotland, as it is Selkirk stay safe due to East Kilbride winning meaning that Cowdenbeath will fill the gap left from East Kilbride if they win.

Hibernia&Alba
08-05-2017, 05:28 PM
I still haven't dried out since our last visit there, poured down for the entire match but they wouldn't let us shelter in their empty wooden stand

I was there that night also, mate, and it was undoubtedly a totally miserable evening; talk about druckett. Pitch waterlogged and the fans even more sodden.

On another point, during the vote about the Rangers in 2012, weren't Cowdenbeath the only club to support Rangers remaining in the SPL?

CMurdoch
09-05-2017, 10:17 AM
Cowdenbeath are a team with a long and interesting history. The disdain that some folk on here have for smaller/struggling clubs strikes me as very Mercer-esque. Don't like it at all.

Check out this wee documentary about Central Park, with some fan stories:

https://youtu.be/TUifUrFWTmE

i agree, they have a long history and a hardcore of supporters who have been there through good and bad.
They have my respect and a Billy's big bawls approach from some 'big team' supporters is not classy.

Fenriz
20-05-2017, 03:40 PM
Cowden survive by the skin of their teeth! Interesting to see Fraser Mullen scoring; remember his short, wretched spell with us?

SirDavidsNapper
20-05-2017, 04:01 PM
Was wanting those mini huns to slip into obscurity

steelendhibs
20-05-2017, 04:06 PM
A Liam Henderson scored the winning spot kick

Dibben
20-05-2017, 04:07 PM

He's STILL delivering!!!!! 👍🏻😬

mentalhibee
20-05-2017, 04:20 PM

Good hibby🇳🇬

Hibernia&Alba
20-05-2017, 10:12 PM
At last a wee bit of respite for Cowdenbeath. Huge result for them.

snooky
21-05-2017, 10:05 AM
At last a wee bit of respite for Cowdenbeath. Huge result for them.

I have a lot of respect for the people who support their wee local clubs. IIRC, there was a bunch of blokes from somewhere down in England who picked a team to support out of a hat and chose Cowdenbeath. They used to travel up for the games.

Lancs Harp
21-05-2017, 10:10 AM
I have a lot of respect for the people who support their wee local clubs. IIRC, there was a bunch of blokes from somewhere down in England who picked a team to support out of a hat and chose Cowdenbeath. They used to travel up for the games.

As a slight side to that, when I travel up for Hibs games on the train I quite often see (sometimes chat to) a lad who supports Albion Rovers. He travels from somewhere in Lancashire to virtually every game, home and away. For a club with an average gate of less than 500 thats pretty dedicated. Hats off to the fella.

Hibby Bairn
21-05-2017, 10:33 AM
Better with a progressive East Kilbride then a water treading Cowdenbeath.

Hibernia&Alba
21-05-2017, 12:26 PM
As a slight side to that, when I travel up for Hibs games on the train I quite often see (sometimes chat to) a lad who supports Albion Rovers. He travels from somewhere in Lancashire to virtually every game, home and away. For a club with an average gate of less than 500 thats pretty dedicated. Hats off to the fella.

:not worth:not worth

That man is a legend. Respect him 100 per cent.

tamig
21-05-2017, 01:11 PM
As a Fifer I've always thought there were too many clubs in the county. It's a county that is dominated by old firm fans sadly so clubs like the Pars and Rovers struggle a bit. The Blue Brazil are basically Rangers fans without the bus fare.

I know a guy who is a ST holder at Central Park. He despises the hun as much as the next man. Think your comment is a bit disrespectful to dedicated guys like him who watch his club home and away.

Malthibby
21-05-2017, 02:09 PM
Been emphasising the role 'wee' teams supporters play to my grandson, when he's been too dismissive of the small numbers who travelled to ER while
we were in the Chumpionship.
You have to be a proper footie fan to travel away to watch Cowden or similar. Or no' right in the heid.
Either way, they form the base for the so-called bigger teams, because without them we would be playing with ourselves. Who wants to support Onanisme FC?
GG

ekhibee
21-05-2017, 02:17 PM
I know a guy who is a ST holder at Central Park. He despises the hun as much as the next man. Think your comment is a bit disrespectful to dedicated guys like him who watch his club home and away.
There's plenty of Rangers fans in the Cowdenbeath/ Lumphinnans/Lochgelly area, I lived in the area for nearly four years. Maybe you shouldn't criticize the guy on the basis of 1 person that you happen to know.

jonny
21-05-2017, 02:22 PM
Better with a progressive East Kilbride then a water treading Cowdenbeath.

I don't think East Kilbride are progressive at all, no turnstiles at their hole of a ground and 1 stand that has about 100 seats. I'm surprised that they could even get into the league with it.
I wouldn't want one of our (relatively) local teams replaced by another bigoted team from the West.
I'm happy that Cowdenbeath managed to retain their status.

jonny
21-05-2017, 02:25 PM

I know a handful of Cowdenbeath fans, all of them from Cowdenbeath and all of them decent guys that just follow their local team. None of them have any love for either side of the old firm.

tamig
21-05-2017, 02:28 PM
There's plenty of Rangers fans in the Cowdenbeath/ Lumphinnans/Lochgelly area, I lived in the area for nearly four years. Maybe you shouldn't criticize the guy on the basis of 1 person that you happen to know.
So are you implying the majority of folk who go to Central Park are huns who can't afford the bus fare? That's what the guy said. There are plenty huns in every town in Scotland so the assertion is pretty ridiculous imo.

Pete
21-05-2017, 02:32 PM
I saw someone in a car recently who had a Rangers top on and a Cowdenbeath air freshener hanging from their rear view mirror.

Just saying. ;-)

tamig
21-05-2017, 02:35 PM
I saw someone in a car recently who had a Rangers top on and a Cowdenbeath air freshener hanging from their rear view mirror.

Just saying. ;-)
Maybe he was boycotting Sports Direct so couldn't get his hands on a hun one?

SirDavidsNapper
21-05-2017, 02:56 PM
So are you implying the majority of folk who go to Central Park are huns who can't afford the bus fare? That's what the guy said. There are plenty huns in every town in Scotland so the assertion is pretty ridiculous imo.

I'm my experience there are many followers of Cowdenbeath who support Rangers, obviously will be many who dont. From Donald Findlay to their blue, white and red kits and union jacks on display when we played them at central park they just reek of the hun. My opinion though.

snooky
21-05-2017, 05:57 PM

Just saying. ;-)

Smart guy. :wink:

Since90+2
21-05-2017, 06:03 PM
I don't think East Kilbride are progressive at all, no turnstiles at their hole of a ground and 1 stand that has about 100 seats. I'm surprised that they could even get into the league with it.
I wouldn't want one of our (relatively) local teams replaced by another bigoted team from the West.
I'm happy that Cowdenbeath managed to retain their status.

Another bigoted team from the west? What a ridiculous statement to make.

I would be interested to know who exactly East Kilbride are meant to bigoted against?

Iggy Pope
21-05-2017, 06:06 PM
Cowdenbeath were one of the first teams I seen at Easter Road, 1970/71. John Blackley scored in a 2-2 draw.
John Brownlie managed them, Keith Wright made his debut there and IIRC their long time benefactor Gordon MacDougall had Hibby credentials.
Add to that, that Cowden were kicking a ball about in the Scottish League before East Kilbride was even recognised as a toon never mind a club, then I'm happy they are still around.

jonny
21-05-2017, 06:34 PM
Another bigoted team from the west? What a ridiculous statement to make.

I would be interested to know who exactly East Kilbride are meant to bigoted against?

http://www.eastkilbrideconnect.co.uk/news/15152746.Sectarian_graffiti_being_investigated_by_ police/?ref=mrb&lp=6

Sectarianism is rife right through that side of the country, probably no worse in East Kilbride than most other suburbs but to suggest it doesn't exist there is as you put it, ridiculous.

Since90+2
21-05-2017, 06:44 PM
http://www.eastkilbrideconnect.co.uk/news/15152746.Sectarian_graffiti_being_investigated_by_ police/?ref=mrb&lp=6

Sectarianism is rife right through that side of the country, probably no worse in East Kilbride than most other suburbs but to suggest it doesn't exist there is as you put it, ridiculous.

Are you actually being serious here? Someone writes a few naughty words somewhere in East Kilbride and you label the football team as bigoted. As far as I can tell the link you provided has absolutely nothing to do with EKFC.

Do you have any evidence whatsoever that East Kilbride FC are in anyway bigoted?

jgl07
21-05-2017, 07:08 PM
They come from near Lochgelly,
They have'nay got a telly
The're dirty and the're smelly,
The Cowden family,

Bishop Hibee
21-05-2017, 08:49 PM
Central Park is the worst ground in the top 4 divisions. Sooner a proper pyramid system including the Juniors is put in place the better.

hibees 7062
21-05-2017, 08:50 PM
Central Park is the worst ground in the top 4 divisions. Sooner a proper pyramid system including the Juniors is put in place the better.

Good track though

sadtom
22-05-2017, 12:39 AM
My 1st ever game Hibs game was against Cowdenbeath. I think it was the same day as the Ibrox disaster.
5 years old, my mum took me in for the last 20. Losing 2-0 and we scored twice for a 2-2 draw.
Even if its for that reason alone, I hope they survive.

Iggy Pope
22-05-2017, 05:56 AM
My 1st ever game Hibs game was against Cowdenbeath. I think it was the same day as the Ibrox disaster.
5 years old, my mum took me in for the last 20. Losing 2-0 and we scored twice for a 2-2 draw.
Even if its for that reason alone, I hope they survive.

Same game as I mention above with Sloop's equaliser.

InchHibby
22-05-2017, 06:23 AM
As for the team, I'm glad they maintained their league status, but for their ground, they should be booted right into touch.
An absolute midden of a place.

Pretty Boy
22-05-2017, 06:31 AM

I'm not sure there's much of a desire amongst the juniors to join the league set up proper.

Those that want to can take steps to do so by applying to join the senior set up. I believe one Fife based junior team have applied (possibly even been accepted) to join the EoS league next season with a view to working their way into the Lowland League.

AndyM_1875
22-05-2017, 07:53 AM

That ties in with what I know. I live in Fife and have taken in a few games with a Cowden supporting mate at Central Park and they are just local guys supporting their local team.
Quite a sweary bunch mind!:greengrin

Am glad they stayed up.

HIBEES 4 LIFE
22-05-2017, 08:09 AM
I'm not sure there's much of a desire amongst the juniors to join the league set up proper.

Those that want to can take steps to do so by applying to join the senior set up. I believe one Fife based junior team have applied (possibly even been accepted) to join the EoS league next season with a view to working their way into the Lowland League.

Yes Kelty Hearts have

Bill Milne
22-05-2017, 08:12 AM
I was at the game on Saturday. A decent crowd (1676), which illustrates their problem. A lot of locals turned out to watch this game but won't go for normal games. More attendances like Saturday and they wouldn't have to rely on the stock cars, which might allow the board to do something with the ground eg putting a cover on the open terracing. The EK fans got a bad soaking on Saturday, which anyone who experienced it watching us will remember as one of the worst events ever.

overdrive
22-05-2017, 08:33 AM
I was at the game on Saturday. A decent crowd (1676), which illustrates their problem. A lot of locals turned out to watch this game but won't go for normal games. More attendances like Saturday and they wouldn't have to rely on the stock cars, which might allow the board to do something with the ground eg putting a cover on the open terracing. The EK fans got a bad soaking on Saturday, which anyone who experienced it watching us will remember as one of the worst events ever.

They don't own the ground anymore.

ekhibee
22-05-2017, 10:18 AM
I have no problem whatsoever with Cowdenbeath retaining their league status, but the population of East Kilbride is almost 5 times the size of Cowdenbeath, there is surely a certain level of potential there. The OF do have a fairly substantial support in EK, mainly Sevco, but there are also quite a few Hibs fans too. They'd be a welcome addition to the Scottish League IMO. Just an opinion from somebody that's lived there for over 20+ years.

Fenriz
22-05-2017, 12:25 PM
There are a few characters involved with Cowdenbeath that I'm not particularly fond of, but as a club I find them quite interesting.

On the same week that we got relegated, they hammered their biggest rivals Dunfermline 3-0 in the playoff finals, to retain their place in the Championship for the third season in a row. That in itself was a huge accomplishment for a team of their size, and you would have thought that staying in the league in the same year that ourselves, Hearts and Rangers would have been a jackpot for the club. Instead from building on the increased income from that season, they seem to have gone into complete freefall, almost disappearing from the league completely this week, and by all accounts with an even more dire financial situation than ever.

From reading 'Black Diamonds and the Blue Brazil', it seems that they've been in some sort of major peril for most of their existence, but given that they don't even receive income from the stock car racing anymore you do wonder what the future holds from them. Obviously mobility at the bottom of League 2 is to be celebrated, with deserving teams getting their chance at SPFL membership, but it would be a shame if teams that have battled around the lower leagues for so many years were to be completely obliterated in the process.

sadtom
22-05-2017, 10:36 PM
Same game as I mention above with Sloop's equaliser.

Just noticed your previous comment now Iggy.

I couldnt remember much about it but several years ago i looked it up to see who scored the 1st Hibs goal i ever saw. I thought Sloop scored the 1st of the 2 with a pen?

Babyshamble
22-05-2017, 10:47 PM
Went for a feed with mates before a game there in the shimla palace ,next to the ground.a guy sat down .said he was told to sit with us.nice guy..had a good feed & a drink with him.he told us he was going out for a fag & never came back.cheeky ****** left us with his bill 😂

CMurdoch
22-05-2017, 10:55 PM
Went for a feed with mates before a game there in the shimla palace ,next to the ground.a guy sat down .said he was told to sit with us.nice guy..had a good feed & a drink with him.he told us he was going out for a fag & never came back.cheeky ****** left us with his bill 😂

:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:top marks

jgl07
22-05-2017, 11:09 PM
I have no problem whatsoever with Cowdenbeath retaining their league status, but the population of East Kilbride is almost 5 times the size of Cowdenbeath, there is surely a certain level of potential there. The OF do have a fairly substantial support in EK, mainly Sevco, but there are also quite a few Hibs fans too. They'd be a welcome addition to the Scottish League IMO. Just an opinion from somebody that's lived there for over 20+ years.
There was talk of Clyde relocating to East Kilbride a few years back but that has gone quite recently.

ballengeich
23-05-2017, 12:56 AM
There was talk of Clyde relocating to East Kilbride a few years back but that has gone quite recently.

East Kilbride's the largest Scottish town without an SPFL team. One of my workmates who came from the town believed that Clyde missed the boat when they moved to Cumbernauld. The reasoning was that East Kilbride's population came mainly from the south of Glasgow and even if they were twin cheek supporters would have gone to watch Clyde as their wee team. Cumbernauld's inmates were from north Glasgow and weren't interested. He said it's now a generation too late.

ekhibee
23-05-2017, 01:23 AM
East Kilbride's the largest Scottish town without an SPFL team. One of my workmates who came from the town believed that Clyde missed the boat when they moved to Cumbernauld. The reasoning was that East Kilbride's population came mainly from the south of Glasgow and even if they were twin cheek supporters would have gone to watch Clyde as their wee team. Cumbernauld's inmates were from north Glasgow and weren't interested. He said it's now a generation too late.
Your workmate's right. It does seem a bit daft that a place the size of East Kilbride, with the 6th largest population in Scotland, doesn't have a team in the SPFL. It's much bigger than Cumbernauld. They'd get good crowds IMO, particularly for local derbies against Hamilton in South Lanarkshire and probably the North Lanarkshire teams as well (Motherwell, Airdrie, Albion Rovers).

Iggy Pope
23-05-2017, 06:10 AM
Just noticed your previous comment now Iggy.

I couldnt remember much about it but several years ago i looked it up to see who scored the 1st Hibs goal i ever saw. I thought Sloop scored the 1st of the 2 with a pen?

You could be right but it's not how my 8 year old brain took it in at the time....:greengrin

lucky
23-05-2017, 06:22 AM
Not sure EK would add much to the league. They obviously don't have a good team as they couldn't beat Cowdenbeath over two games. Whilst their catchment area might be big but as Livingston have shown moving to a new town does not generate much of a support

Bill Milne
23-05-2017, 09:20 AM
They don't own the ground anymore.

I wasn't aware of that! There's no hope for them then, might have been better quietly slipping away.

ekhibee
23-05-2017, 09:45 AM
Not sure EK would add much to the league. They obviously don't have a good team as they couldn't beat Cowdenbeath over two games. Whilst their catchment area might be big but as Livingston have shown moving to a new town does not generate much of a support
I can understand that point of view, but EK FC in 2016 broke the record for most consecutive wins held by Ajax. 30 wins in a row. They only lost out to Cowdenbeath in a penalty shoot-out. I just think there's a lot of potential there, and hope that some time in the near future they get the opportunity to join the SPFL, but it is just my opinion.

AndyM_1875
23-05-2017, 10:17 AM
I wasn't aware of that! There's no hope for them then, might have been better quietly slipping away.

They've been trying to get the new community stadium off the ground as Central Park is long past it's sell buy date - even for the stockies.
The plan is to have a stadium next to the A92 with a surrounding sports facilities available to the local communities of Cowdenbeath, Lochgelly and the eastern expansion of Dunfermline.

MB62
23-05-2017, 11:12 AM

If the The Rangers application to join the league has been refused in favour of, Spartans say, then maybe clubs like Cowdenbeath might have prospered.
Unfortunately though, they are now a club with a stadium from the 1920's and an almost non existent support and are really a prime example of what's wrong with Scottish football. We have too many clubs, particularly in the Fife area and, IMO, should be one of the clubs cut/emalgamated for the longer term good of our game.

overdrive
23-05-2017, 11:17 AM
They've been trying to get the new community stadium off the ground as Central Park is long past it's sell buy date - even for the stockies.
The plan is to have a stadium next to the A92 with a surrounding sports facilities available to the local communities of Cowdenbeath, Lochgelly and the eastern expansion of Dunfermline.

The guy from Cowdenbeath at my work says they have also been investigating ground sharing with Kelty Hearts at their stadium.

IberianHibernian
23-05-2017, 09:36 PM
Cowdenbeath were one of the first teams I seen at Easter Road, 1970/71. John Blackley scored in a 2-2 draw.
John Brownlie managed them, Keith Wright made his debut there and IIRC their long time benefactor Gordon MacDougall had Hibby credentials.
Add to that, that Cowden were kicking a ball about in the Scottish League before East Kilbride was even recognised as a toon never mind a club, then I'm happy they are still around.I remember this game too . Blackley penalty at Dunbar End so slope didn`t help us much that day ( losing 0 v 2 at ht ) which was I think his first competitive goal for us ( I remember him scoring only goal from penalty spot at Cave End against Hearts in East of Scotland Shield match about same time ( crowd only about 15,000 ) and an own goal at Ibrox a few years later ) . What I most remember is that Cowdenbeath wore all red that day - they weren`t known as Blue Brazil I don`t think but as a 10 year old I knew club colours and knew Cowdenbeath wore blue except that day for some reason . Game was 2nd January 1971 and we`d drawn 0 v 0 at Tynecastle just 24 hours before so it probably was the same day as Ibrox Disaster match .

23-05-2017, 09:46 PM
Don't know the ins and out of Cowden as a club but considering they were in the championship 2 years ago and now they've just survived falling out of the Scottish leagues altogether by the skin of their teeth is a pretty sad state.

tamig
23-05-2017, 09:56 PM
If the The Rangers application to join the league has been refused in favour of, Spartans say, then maybe clubs like Cowdenbeath might have prospered.
Unfortunately though, they are now a club with a stadium from the 1920's and an almost non existent support and are really a prime example of what's wrong with Scottish football. We have too many clubs, particularly in the Fife area and, IMO, should be one of the clubs cut/emalgamated for the longer term good of our game.
That's a pretty crass and condescending statement imo. Were you around in 1990? If so, I cannot believe you've come out with a merger statement.

sadtom
24-05-2017, 12:24 AM
I remember this game too . Blackley penalty at Dunbar End so slope didn`t help us much that day ( losing 0 v 2 at ht ) which was I think his first competitive goal for us ( I remember him scoring only goal from penalty spot at Cave End against Hearts in East of Scotland Shield match about same time ( crowd only about 15,000 ) and an own goal at Ibrox a few years later ) . What I most remember is that Cowdenbeath wore all red that day - they weren`t known as Blue Brazil I don`t think but as a 10 year old I knew club colours and knew Cowdenbeath wore blue except that day for some reason . Game was 2nd January 1971 and we`d drawn 0 v 0 at Tynecastle just 24 hours before so it probably was the same day as Ibrox Disaster match .

:agree:

As i mentioned earlier this was my first game, i dont remember it at all (your 8 year old mind trumps my 5 years old mind Iggy).
My mum often told me about it plenty of times over the years but never ever mentioned it was the same day as the Ibrox disaster.
Was several years ago i tried to look it up and found an image of the back of the old 'pink' evening news, giving the report on the match.
Down at the bottom of the page was a very small 'newsflash' just before going to print, that stated Colin Stein scored a late equaliser in the old firm derby. I was only then i looked at the date and realised that my first ever match was on the same day as 66 people attended their last...it was quite a sobering realisation. :-(

HoboHarry
24-05-2017, 03:54 AM
:agree:

As i mentioned earlier this was my first game, i dont remember it at all (your 8 year old mind trumps my 5 years old mind Iggy).
My mum often told me about it plenty of times over the years but never ever mentioned it was the same day as the Ibrox disaster.
Was several years ago i tried to look it up and found an image of the back of the old 'pink' evening news, giving the report on the match.
Down at the bottom of the page was a very small 'newsflash' just before going to print, that stated Colin Stein scored a late equaliser in the old firm derby. I was only then i looked at the date and realised that my first ever match was on the same day as 66 people attended their last...it was quite a sobering realisation. :-(
That's quite a memory to have carried with you for all of these years. Seriously, it's remarkable what some of us have seen and without forums like this these experiences would never see the light of day - they wouldn't have back then of course. Good on you mate for sharing that..... :agree: