PDA

View Full Version : Around the world for 90 minutes

Austinho
06-05-2017, 04:58 PM
Long story short, a close friend of mine out here in Sydney is a big Tranmere Rovers fan. A few hours ago, Tranmere secured their place in next weeks playoff final at Wembley, with the chance to return to the Football League. Since Tranmere last won anything, 114 out of the 115 teams in the top 5 divisions in England have either been promoted or won a trophy. My friend just happened to move to Australia the one season they finally look like having a shot at glory.

Inspired by my epic trip home from New Zealand last May to surprise my dad and watch us finally lift the Scottish Cup, my friend is looking to embark on an incredible journey of his own. So skint that he can't even afford to take time off work, he's trying to raise funds to fly from Australia to London on Friday, watch the game at Wembley, and fly straight back in time for work on Monday. Dedication or stupidity - you decide. All this for non league, 5th tier football - it's an incredible display of passion.

He's already raised £500 and is only a few hundred away from the second greatest footballing story ever told. He plans to film the whole thing too - a few donations on here and you'll be able to follow his amazing story on social media and national newspapers when they inevitably cover it.

If you'd like to be part of this amazing feat, I'm sure any help or donations would be hugely appreciated:

http://www.gofundme.com/around-the-world-for-90-minutes

DC_Hibs
06-05-2017, 05:23 PM
I quite fancy someone else paying for a holiday for me as well so thanks for the tip.
Scousers eh!!

I'll donate some brasso to keep his neck tip top and hopefully someone will chip in to get him a commemorative scarf for the occasion.

Ich liebe Deek
06-05-2017, 05:24 PM
As an expat(immigrant) this does not sit right with me.We move for a better life not to beg internationally.Hope he gets to the game but there's surely more deserving people of spare change.Please don't take this the wrong way but it just seems a bit odd.

iwasthere1972
06-05-2017, 05:30 PM
Just stay for a week and do a separate fund for loss of wages.

calumhibee1
06-05-2017, 06:11 PM
Aye, agree with everyone else. Someone wanting money raised for them to travel across the world to watch a football game for no reason other than he might miss a good day? I'll pass.

Pretty Boy
06-05-2017, 06:14 PM
**** it. I'll chuck in a fiver.

Football is all about emotion and I hope your mate comes close to enjoying as good a day as I did last May. Good luck to him.

Austinho
07-05-2017, 09:24 AM
**** it. I'll chuck in a fiver.

Football is all about emotion and I hope your mate comes close to enjoying as good a day as I did last May. Good luck to him.That's a fantastic gesture mate, I'm sure my friend will be very grateful for your donation and kind words. Thank you!

I realise there's a few skeptics on here, but I think it is a great story, and not just because I know him personally. I'm not sure flying from Australia to England and back in the same weekend just to watch a non league game of football would be considered a holiday ;)

Scottie
14-05-2017, 02:32 PM
Long story short, a close friend of mine out here in Sydney is a big Tranmere Rovers fan. A few hours ago, Tranmere secured their place in next weeks playoff final at Wembley, with the chance to return to the Football League. Since Tranmere last won anything, 114 out of the 115 teams in the top 5 divisions in England have either been promoted or won a trophy. My friend just happened to move to Australia the one season they finally look like having a shot at glory.

Inspired by my epic trip home from New Zealand last May to surprise my dad and watch us finally lift the Scottish Cup, my friend is looking to embark on an incredible journey of his own. So skint that he can't even afford to take time off work, he's trying to raise funds to fly from Australia to London on Friday, watch the game at Wembley, and fly straight back in time for work on Monday. Dedication or stupidity - you decide. All this for non league, 5th tier football - it's an incredible display of passion.

He's already raised £500 and is only a few hundred away from the second greatest footballing story ever told. He plans to film the whole thing too - a few donations on here and you'll be able to follow his amazing story on social media and national newspapers when they inevitably cover it.

If you'd like to be part of this amazing feat, I'm sure any help or donations would be hugely appreciated:

Did your mate make it to Wembley?

1-1 after half hour. Couple of good goals so far.

iwasthere1972
14-05-2017, 02:37 PM

1-1 after half hour. Couple of good goals so far.

I'm watching it. One of the smallest crowds I've seen at a match held at Wembley but to be expected. A great experience and day out for the winners.

Come on Forest GREEN.

Scouse Hibee
14-05-2017, 02:42 PM
I quite fancy someone else paying for a holiday for me as well so thanks for the tip.
Scousers eh!!

I'll donate some brasso to keep his neck tip top and hopefully someone will chip in to get him a commemorative scarf for the occasion.

How do you know he is a scouser?

iwasthere1972
14-05-2017, 02:43 PM
2-1 FGR.

The Tranmere Rovers No.5. Not many roast potatoes have fallen off his plate. :greengrin

iwasthere1972
14-05-2017, 02:44 PM
Oh dear dear 3-1.

It's on BT Sports.

Mr White
14-05-2017, 03:24 PM
2-1 FGR.

The Tranmere Rovers No.5. Not many roast potatoes have fallen off his plate. :greengrin

Steve McNulty. He's a big lad :agree:

MSK
14-05-2017, 03:30 PM

1-1 after half hour. Couple of good goals so far.He was interviewed before the game, said his mate was a hibernian fan & had posted about the fundraising on a fans website 😄

Scottie
14-05-2017, 05:08 PM
He was interviewed before the game, said his mate was a hibernian fan & had posted about the fundraising on a fans website 😄
Disappointment for the lad with the result. Long journey back as well.

poolman
14-05-2017, 06:10 PM

I'm off to Zante next month

Any help for this venture will be much appreciated

Austinho
15-05-2017, 01:07 PM

1-1 after half hour. Couple of good goals so far.Yeah, he made the game, spent less than a day in London and is on his way back to Sydney already as we speak. All for a 3-1 defeat!

He was interviewed live on BT Sports, and made a special mentioned to Hibs.net, thanking the Hibernian fans on here who had donated. I'll post a link when I get hold of it. He was also interviewed on BBC radio, and got tweeted by Tranmere's Chairman too.

Due to the time difference I've not spoken to him since the game, but he's been blown away by the support from around the world, although the reactions have been a mixed bag. Some thought it was great, and some think it's in bad taste. Personally I say fair play to him, if you're brave enough to ask then good on him. It's not like it's been a holiday, more a test of endurance!

http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/15280109.Rovers_fan_goes_around_the_world_for_90_W embley_minutes/?ref=twtrec

KWJ
15-05-2017, 01:13 PM
Yeah, he made the game, spent less than a day in London and is on his way back to Sydney already as we speak. All for a 3-1 defeat!

He was interviewed live on Sky Sports, and made a special mentioned to Hibs.net, thanking the Hibernian fans on here who had donated. I'll post a link when I get hold of it. He was interviewed on BBC radio, and got tweeted by Tranmere's Chairman too.

He's been blown away by the support from around the world, although the reactions have been a mixed bag. Some thought it was great, and some think it's in bad taste. Personally I say fair play to him, if you're brave enough to ask then good on him. It's not like it's been a holiday, more a test of endurance!

Fair play. Folk who don't agree can simply not gift him the funds and well done to those that did.

I was in NZ for the 2013 final and then in Canada in tricky circumstances last year and considered making such a request but didn't quite have the gall to ask family/friends let alone strangers.