PDA

View Full Version : 45 years ago today. Celtic 6 Hibs 1 SC Final

Tom Hart RIP
06-05-2017, 07:58 AM
I was one of the 106,000 at Hampden behind the goals at the north west corner. No segregation and bottles and cans flying overhead. Both teams were full of great players who liked to attack. Dixie Deans ran riot. Afterwards Eddie Turnbull insisted we'd be back at Hampden and next time we would win and he was right.
A couple of months later we won the Drybourgh Cup 5-3 which was a big deal at the time then later that year we won the League Cup also against Celtic.
That season until the 7-0 game was the best football I have ever from ANY team in ANY era. Those who didn't see that team will probably not believe how good we were.
Where does the time go?

Ringothedog
06-05-2017, 08:05 AM
I still remember getting taken home by my dad at 1-4 and me saying "we can still win dad" as he shook his head mournfully. Ah the joys of being a young kid!

You are right though, was at the next 2 finals at Hampden that year and we won both. great times to support the Hibs.

BurghHibby
06-05-2017, 08:11 AM
I was one of the 106,000 at Hampden behind the goals at the north west corner. No segregation and bottles and cans flying overhead. Both teams were full of great players who liked to attack. Dixie Deans ran riot. Afterwards Eddie Turnbull insisted we'd be back at Hampden and next time we would win and he was right.
A couple of months later we won the Drybourgh Cup 5-3 which was a big deal at the time then later that year we won the League Cup also against Celtic.
That season until the 7-0 game was the best football I have ever from ANY team in ANY era. Those who didn't see that team will probably not believe how good we were.
Where does the time go?

That was my first visit to Hamdump:
20p to get in (I think)
Macaroon and spearmint chewing gum
slapped about when we equalised by auld gadgies
Left at 4-1 utterly demoralised

Great day oot though!

One Day
06-05-2017, 08:17 AM
Where does the time go?

I was in the small stand opposite main stand so missed all the missile throwing. Left in tears at 5-1

Earlydelivery
06-05-2017, 08:20 AM
Was my very first trip to Glasgow , still wondering how a team as good as that could take a tanking as bad as that .but thereafter we were a joy to behold.

SirDavidsNapper
06-05-2017, 08:20 AM
Where does the time go?

When we won the league cup later that year how long since the big team last won it? 🙈

southsider
06-05-2017, 08:24 AM
Too many Hibs players froze that day. Had just turned 13 and felt terrible. But my previous visit to Hampden was worse. Lost 6-2 and my dad took me to the train station at 6-0. Never even, and still have not on TV, seen the Hibs goals.

Ronniekirk
06-05-2017, 08:25 AM
Where does the time go?

I have the programme in my loft in the middle of the programme with the teams i have the score and the words Brokenhearted
Dreams of a Young teenager shattered But Turnbull was true to his word and what a style of football we played
The Best Brand of Football The Worlds Ever Seen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surreyhibbie
06-05-2017, 08:34 AM
I was there. First trip to that place, gutted doesn't begin to describe how I felt. Still remember deciding to leave at 4-1, just walking down the stairs when they made it 5. Got back to the bus by the old Cathkin park and was told it was six.

But I was back later that year to see us win the League cup.

Turnbull's Tornadoes were a magnificent team....

southsider
06-05-2017, 08:37 AM
Where does the time go?
The 5-3 you spoke about was amazing. We were 3-0 up when "best fans in the world" invaded the park. Game held up whilst order restored. We lost a bit of consentration and Celtic pulled it back to 3-3. Extra-time saw Pat and Jimmy grab the game by the scruff of the neck and we ran out 5-3 winners. Celtic fans did and do have a history of this sort of thing when they were losing.

snooky
06-05-2017, 08:38 AM
I was at that game too. Shellshocked was how I felt because I knew we could be every bit as good as Celtc.
The Tornados were a bit like Keagan's Newcastle. Fantastic to watch, great footballing side but that little lack of consistency meant the big prize eluded them.
How I'd love to go back to those days when I turned up not thinking if would win but by how much.
Hearts, Sporting Lisbon, FC Besa, Ayr United games were standouts.
GGTTH

ps I had made a cardboard cut-out of the cup and handed it to a Celtc supporter (my mate's brother-in-law) who oddly enough was on our bus.
Sair tae bear.

Keith_M
06-05-2017, 08:43 AM
We conceded six goals to Celtic in three cup finals in the space of 6(?) seasons but people still get all misty eyed?

Would never happen nowadays, thank goodness.

mim
06-05-2017, 08:49 AM
Too many Hibs players froze that day. Had just turned 13 and felt terrible. But my previous visit to Hampden was worse. Lost 6-2 and my dad took me to the train station at 6-0. Never even, and still have not on TV, seen the Hibs goals.

That was a strange one. We also left at 6-0 and put the radio on when we got back to the car. The gadgy was talking about 'Hibs first goal'. We all immediately thought 'maybe it ended 6-6' :greengrin

HIBERNIAN-0762
06-05-2017, 09:00 AM
I was there with most of my family, that wee bassa Johnstone was chief tormentor that day and of course Deans just couldn't stop scoring as well, we totally froze on the day and our defence crumbled and I was beside myself later on at night pished and greetin...:agree:

CentreLine
06-05-2017, 09:05 AM
Also 13 at the time and my first major cup final. We went with such optimism and stayed with my brother to applaud the teams and even stayed for the cup presentation. That was a big deal at the time and many people stayed to applaud the teams. After all they had made a national cup final and that was achievement in itself. I liked those days of sporting attitude.

southsider
06-05-2017, 09:09 AM
That was a strange one. We also left at 6-0 and put the radio on when we got back to the car. The gadgy was talking about 'Hibs first goal'. We all immediately thought 'maybe it ended 6-6' :greengrin
The final was originally due to be played around October time but one of the Hampden Stands caught fire. By the time the match was played, in the spring of '69 we had sold Colin Stein and his replacement Joe 'the prince of goalscorers' McBride was cup tied.

Hibs07p
06-05-2017, 09:13 AM
Somethings stick with you forever, 106,102 I believe was the attendance, Billy McNeil scored with a tap in at the back post from a free kick, Alan Gordon equalised before half time, and Dixie Deans scored a hatrick. We started to leave at 4-1, but before we had left, it was 6-1. My first Hampden experience, but the second one was the League cup final, Stanton & O'Rourkes goals trumped Dalgliesh's late consolation in front of around 76,000. That was 3rd trip to Hampden, my 2nd was the league cup semi when John Brownlie beat the currant buns 1-0.

GGTTH
Scottish Cup Winners 2016

iwasthere1972
06-05-2017, 09:17 AM
I was there too. I've had better days.

JimBHibees
06-05-2017, 09:18 AM
Can remember McNeill scoring in the first minute and then 1 1 at Half time. Second half we fell apart. Made a bit of money as patronisingly Celtic fans were giving me coins when each of the goals went in. Was gutted 10 years old at the time.

Golden Bear
06-05-2017, 09:25 AM
I was there too. I've had better days.

And me. Being showered with broken glass bottles is a difficult memory to forget.

superfurryhibby
06-05-2017, 09:26 AM
We conceded six goals to Celtic in three cup finals in the space of 6(?) seasons but people still get all misty eyed?

Not really sure of your point, but people are getting misty eyed because it is now so long ago, they probably went with loved ones who are no longer with us and whilst it no doubt hurt like hell ( I remember my own tears and disbelief) we also returned triumphant soon afterwards.

Celtic were an awesome side. They were European cup finalists just two years before the 6-1 final and were still one of the best sides in Europe. On their day they could beat anyone by a healthy margin.

Nowadays, there is no comparison that can reasonably be made.

Bostonhibby
06-05-2017, 09:26 AM
I was there. Taken through by my hearts supporting uncle. Crowd was unbelievable. Nae health and safety involved.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

greenlex
06-05-2017, 09:31 AM
45yeas!!!!!! I heard the other day that Waterloo by Abba was number one 43 years ago. Where has the time went?

iwasthere1972
06-05-2017, 09:50 AM
And me. Being showered with broken glass bottles is a difficult memory to forget.

I can only remember all the missiles etc as I was behind the goals which is now the west stand. Don't think I saw any goals which is a good thing.

Celtic were awesome back then but I had the good fortune to have been at the 2-1 League Cup Final win a few months later.

Ringothedog
06-05-2017, 09:57 AM

And the bottles were from the Hibs fans who were not taking the defeat very well.

Tom Hart RIP
06-05-2017, 10:01 AM
Celtic won European Cup in 1967 and Rangers got beat in the Cup Winners Cup that year and Kilmarnock got to the semifinals of the Fairs cup.
Celtic then got to another European Cup Final and Rangers won the Cup Winners Cup.
We were 4-1 up in the Cup Winners Cup QF but lost a late goal then lost 3-0 away in Split but by that time we had lost John Brownlie and Alex Edwards wasn't match fit as he was suspended for domestic games.
I believe that the Tornadoes were better that the Rangers team that won the cup but it shows how powerful Scottish football was then

PeeJay
06-05-2017, 10:08 AM
I was there too ... seem to recall us spilling out onto the park to escape fighting or bottles or whatever ... disappointed on the day ...

Ray_
06-05-2017, 11:21 AM
Where does the time go?

That game reminds me of my first "Wembley", 1975, every shot England had it went in the net and it was much the same with Celtic that afternoon.

fatbloke
06-05-2017, 11:41 AM
That was my first visit to Hamdump:
20p to get in (I think)
Macaroon and spearmint chewing gum
slapped about when we equalised by auld gadgies
Left at 4-1 utterly demoralised

Great day oot though!

Aye was 20p to get in. Travelled with Musselburgh Bus. Left at 3-1. Hated losing to them but great times to watch Hibs this match being the exception.

Ray_
06-05-2017, 11:44 AM

Nonsense, although the score was a lot closer against Celtic in 2013, than in 1972, the gulf in class between the sides was far wider in 2013, than 72. In 2013 it was the hibs fans who seemed as though they were celebrating, during the last ten minutes of that game.

In the three finals of 72, Hibs got beat in the first game by a team, who in the previous five years, had reached a European Cup final twice, winning once and regularly making the Semi's, we beat them in the next two finals, scoring seven goals in to the bargain.

To get to the first final, we put out the team that was about to win Europe's then second premier competition. In our next two semi's that same year, we again had to take care of the same opposition, again in the semi final stage and we did so with the score totaling 6-0. That is the period that Hibs fans get all misty eyed over, not the following two seasons when we finished league runners up.

houstonhibbee
06-05-2017, 12:00 PM
That game reminds me of my first "Wembley", 1975, every shot England had it went in the net and it was much the same with Celtic that afternoon.

Was at both games too. Arthur Duncan barely got a touch
Alex Crowley was injured and missed the final and we didn't have any depth in the squad. John hazel was the replacement but nowhere near the same quality. That was a big factor for us. 1-1 at half time it all fell apart so quickly and was quite a shock .
Back at Hamden a mere two months later in the drybrough cup and as was said 3-0 up against Celtic inside 30
Minutes. Was it an Alan Gordon hat trick I recall?

Lago
06-05-2017, 12:52 PM
I was there. First trip to that place, gutted doesn't begin to describe how I felt. Still remember deciding to leave at 4-1, just walking down the stairs when they made it 5. Got back to the bus by the old Cathkin park and was told it was six.

But I was back later that year to see us win the League cup.

Turnbull's Tornadoes were a magnificent team....
Weren't they just, truly magnificent.

cad
06-05-2017, 01:07 PM
:boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo:still hurts when I think about it 12 years old I was greetin my eyes oot ,but a few months later the Sunshine came
"ah them were the days"

pollution
06-05-2017, 04:17 PM

Hibs conceded 15 - yes 15 goals in a seven day period in the good old days......Whats the time? Fifteen past MacArthur was the ditty.

Keith_M
06-05-2017, 04:28 PM
Not really sure of your point, but people are getting misty eyed because it is now so long ago, they probably went with loved ones who are no longer with us and whilst it no doubt hurt like hell ( I remember my own tears and disbelief) we also returned triumphant soon afterwards

Nonsense, although the score was a lot closer against Celtic in 2013, than in 1972, the gulf in class between the sides was far wider in 2013, than 72. In 2013 it was the hibs fans who seemed as though they were celebrating, during the last ten minutes of that game.

My comment was actually tongue-in-cheek, which doesn't always come over the way it was intended when written down.

Sorry.

Is It On....
06-05-2017, 04:34 PM
My dad was there with my grandpa. We were living in Glasgow at the time and my dad didn't think when booking the tickets so was allocated seats in the Celtic bit of the stand. He said despite being surrounded by suits and priests they were not best pleased when he and my grandpa (who used to go to see Airdrie and Motherwell on alternate weeks as a boy) jumped up to celebrate Hibs goal!!

Stantons Angel
06-05-2017, 08:15 PM
[QUOTE=iwasthere1972;5034278]I was there too. I've had better days

i was at all of those games mentioned and Dixie Deans was a little ......! Jimmy Johnstone was such a tricky wee player but soul destroying!!!

Others have mentioned just how good this team where and i cannot argue with that, they were truly a most talented bunch of footballers!

RIP
06-05-2017, 08:29 PM
Aye was 20p to get in. Travelled with Musselburgh Bus. Left at 3-1. Hated losing to them but great times to watch Hibs this match being the exception.

Musselburgh bus. Takes me back to my youth. Lived in Clerrie at the time. Me, my wee brother and sister used to get on at either end of the Drum Brae depending whether we were going North or West.

Caprice pizza. Playing darts at Mrs Formans. WalKing to Eastfield to catch the last 26 back to Clerrie. Ah the days!

Hibernia&Alba
06-05-2017, 09:35 PM
Before I was born, thankfully, though it would have been a privilege to see those two teams.

For those who played 20p to get in, that's just £2.42 in 2017 prices. It's a changed game!

IberianHibernian
06-05-2017, 09:54 PM
I was in the terracing under the old North Stand but nearer the Celtic End ( now Hibs End ) . Was totally packed out and my feet were certainly not on the ground . Crowd was 106000 but very hard to say how many were supporting Hibs ( anything from 25000 to 40000 I`d say since there was no segregation except in stands that probably only accounted for 15000 seats ) . There was certainly a massive Hibs support and it was sad seeing such a massive support arriving back in Edinburgh after game . Wins in Drybrough Cup ( which was a big thing then ) and League Cup finals against Celtic before the end of 1972 certainly helped to ease the pain as did 6 v 1 v Sporting Lisbon , 8 v 1 v Ayr ( at that time a good team ) and 7 v 0 at New Year . Despite SC thrashing we qualified for European Cup Winners Cup and were unlucky to lose to hadjuk Split in quarters - I remember 4 v 2 win at Holy Ground before 3 v 0 defeat in Split - was anyone here at away game ?

penihibs
06-05-2017, 09:55 PM
Cant look back now all the young team there today are used of us winning
Holy Grail!! Championship!
Just the norm now.

SON OF PADDY
06-05-2017, 09:59 PM
A young 13 year old with his mate's managed to get on the Gilmerton miners bus it was 70% Celtic supporters.
They where brilliant! " No cash required " stopped at a miners welfare club for food, lifted over the turnstile "Rangers end" watched us getting pumped " gutted " another stop off on the way home free food and drink "coke" again.
All for the grand price of a song sung over the bus microphone.
Great memories !! **** result 6-1 Life as a long suffering Hibby's had just began. 😁 GGTTH

Was the long wait for the Holy grail worth it ?

" you ****ing better believe it " 21/5/2016 Will never be forgotten.

Roxyhibee
07-05-2017, 08:35 AM
Had been to the 6-2 final a few years previous as a 10 year old. Memories a bit sketchy but left at 6-0, and heard when we got to the bus that Hibs had scored a couple of goals.. That Celtic team was the best as it was the Lisbon Lions. We had no chance.

The 6-1 final I remember being horrendously packed and my feet were frequently completely off the ground. Now and then I could get my toes down. We were down at the front and people could literally not move. But we had a better team then and didn't play that badly - simply folded toward the end of the game. The defending was awful.

The next 12 months after that game were incredible though and the best I've experienced. We were simply wonderful to watch.