PDA

View Full Version : Without a hint of irony

Skol
05-05-2017, 07:44 PM
A thread on JKB discussing the old stand compared to other Leitch designs and Tynie being short if real distinguishing features one wag wrote:

'Didnt we run out of cash as it went over budget perhaps that had something to do with it.'

Hands up, who from here was it ?

05-05-2017, 08:53 PM
A thread on JKB discussing the old stand compared to other Leitch designs and Tynie being short if real distinguishing features one wag wrote:

'Didnt we run out of cash as it went over budget perhaps that had something to do with it.'

Hands up, who from here was it ?

There is a very good book on Archibald Leitch stands which includes the story of Hearts poor management of the stands construction so probably just a Yam who for once does know their history. They had a plan to build on the cheap back in 1913 but such was their poor management of the project resulted in length delays and spiralling costs. World War I broke out - income plummeted and Hearts were in serious trouble. Amongst others, one ploy by the Hearts management to delay paying was to withhold money from a company called Kleine because some of their Directors had Germanic sounding names. They threatened to sue Hearts in 1915........ Hearts paid up (that must have hurt them). Quoting the book, "At the final reckoning the 4,000 seat stand - a fairly rudimentary one at that - cost Hearts £12,178, twice the original budget".

By 1925, 12 years on Hearts had eventually paid their debts but its unclear if Leitch was ever paid in full. Common at the time was to put a plaque up giving the Architect an honourable mention. Not a Tynie though. The Directors put their names up on the stand instead. Funny how Hearts now seem to be honouring Leitch when they eventually demolish the tip.

tamig
05-05-2017, 09:03 PM
There is a very good book on Archibald Leitch stands which includes the story of Hearts poor management of the stands construction so probably just a Yam who for once does know their history. They had a plan to build on the cheap back in 1913 but such was their poor management of the project resulted in length delays and spiralling costs. World War I broke out - income plummeted and Hearts were in serious trouble. Amongst others, one ploy by the Hearts management to delay paying was to withhold money from a company called Kleine because some of their Directors had Germanic sounding names. They threatened to sue Hearts in 1915........ Hearts paid up (that must have hurt them). Quoting the book, "At the final reckoning the 4,000 seat stand - a fairly rudimentary one at that - cost Hearts £12,178, twice the original budget".

By 1925, 12 years on Hearts had eventually paid their debts but its unclear if Leitch was ever paid in full. Common at the time was to put a plaque up giving the Architect an honourable mention. Not a Tynie though. The Directors put their names up on the stand instead. Funny how Hearts now seem to be honouring Leitch when they eventually demolish the tip.
Kidding on at being a big team even back then. And it is amazing how some things never appear to change re the funding issues. This stand is going to hurt 😀

Dibben
05-05-2017, 09:16 PM
Kidding on at being a big team even back then. And it is amazing how some things never appear to change re the funding issues. This stand is going to hurt 😀

They really have no shame! Since 1874

05-05-2017, 10:12 PM
This thread is got me reading the section of the book on Hearts again.
Another notable repeat in history. Their chairman at the time was Issac Furst.................of Russian Jewish extraction.
Maybe he was a relation of Mad Vlad. :Romanov:
Furst apparently oversaw the negotiations on the project so he was certainly as good as Mad Vlad at running finances.

Dibben
05-05-2017, 10:20 PM
Furst apparently oversaw the negotiations on the project so he was certainly as good as Mad Vlad at ruining finances.

Fixed it for you... 😬👍🏻

05-05-2017, 10:32 PM
Fixed it for you... 😬👍🏻

Cool. Your correct is probably more apt. I thank you :not worth

monktonharp
05-05-2017, 10:33 PM
Kleine ' is the German word for small.

superfurryhibby
05-05-2017, 10:55 PM
Interesting, our own main stand nearly ruined us when it was built. If memory serves me right, Hibs launched a debenture scheme to help fund it. We ended up massively in debt and thsi opened the door for investment from outsiders, ie: outside of the Edinburgh- Irish families that owned Hibs.This opened the door for our first non Catholic Director, Mr H Swan.

A troubling period for the club, the late 1920's and through the 1930's . We had our first ever relegation in tha period and whatever, **** the Hearts and their old stand..... I cannot type no more, a long day, lol

monktonharp
05-05-2017, 11:04 PM
Interesting, our own main stand nearly ruined us when it was built. If memory serves me right, Hibs launched a debenture scheme to help fund it. We ended up massively in debt and thsi opened the door for investment from outsiders, ie: outside of the Edinburgh- Irish families that owned Hibs.This opened the door for our first non Catholic Director, Mr H Swan.

A troubling period for the club, the late 1920's and through the 1930's . We had our first ever relegation in tha period and whatever, **** the Hearts and their old stand..... I cannot type no more, a long day, lolok , that's super fuddy. you get to bed now ya daft hibby. :wink:

Viva_Palmeiras
06-05-2017, 05:51 AM
Kleine ' is the German word for small.

And "gross" means big. Poetic or what?

Mantis Toboggan
06-05-2017, 01:34 PM

Really interesting stuff mate. Is it this book? https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/cka/Engineering-Archie-Archibald-Leitch-Football-Designer-Britain/1850749183

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-05-2017, 04:51 PM
Fixed it for you... 😬👍🏻

These posts get right on my bosoms.

Pete
06-05-2017, 04:53 PM
These posts get right on my bosoms.

Coffee all over screen.

greenlex
06-05-2017, 08:00 PM
These posts get right on my tits.

There fixed that for you.😄