PDA

View Full Version : James Keatings

grievsie
04-05-2017, 12:13 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted but a source at Dundee Utd has stated that Keats is close to signing for them, along with Billy King apparently. Would like to keep him.

1van Sprou7e
04-05-2017, 12:15 PM
I thought he wanted a crack at the premiership?

Surely he'd wait till after the playoffs before signing for them

Tobias Funke
04-05-2017, 12:16 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted but a source at Dundee Utd has stated that Keats is close to signing for them, along with Billy King apparently. Would like to keep him.

Dundee United don't know what league they will be playing in next season. I find it highly unlikely Keatings would be trying to agree terms with a club who could be in the championship again. Sounds like p*sh to me.

Jim44
04-05-2017, 12:20 PM
Dundee United don't know what league they will be playing in next season. I find it highly unlikely Keatings would be trying to agree terms with a club who could be in the championship again. Sounds like p*sh to me.

......... then again, we're all aware of Keating's predilection for the Championship. :wink:

grievsie
04-05-2017, 12:22 PM

You know what rumours are like.

Peevemor
04-05-2017, 12:22 PM
If he goes, he goes. I think he can do a job for us but probably not as a guaranteed starter which is what he wants.

easty
04-05-2017, 12:26 PM
If he goes, he goes. I think he can do a job for us but probably not as a guaranteed starter which is what he wants.

Definitely not as a guaranteed starter.

Dashing Bob S
04-05-2017, 12:31 PM
Would hope that he would stay with Hibs and try to improve as a player rather than set up as a striking John Rankin in the Championship.

HibsNutter
04-05-2017, 12:31 PM
Would make sense tbh, if Lennon wants to keep Cummings, get Boyce, bring Shaw through and bring in a target man then his game time will be limited still. You would think he will want regular starts and he isn't going to get that with us.

Centre Hawf
04-05-2017, 12:34 PM
Good move for him if so. Said it before that this is his level and hes probably going to be a main man for them.

Sammy7nil
04-05-2017, 12:37 PM
Good move for him if so. Said it before that this is his level and hes probably going to be a main man for them.

Yip I would say thanks very much and good luck.

danhibees1875
04-05-2017, 12:50 PM
I'd want to keep Keatings if possible, but I can't begrudge him the chance to make it 4 league winner medals out of 5 to join his Scottish Cup winning medal. That's quite the record!

oneone73
04-05-2017, 12:53 PM
I'd want to keep Keatings if possible, but I can't begrudge him the chance to make it 4 league winner medals out of 5 to join his Scottish Cup winning medal. That's quite the record!

Fourth? Hamilton were runners-up. He has two medals

portyhibernian
04-05-2017, 12:55 PM

I wouldn't mind him staying, but tend to agree with this.

1van Sprou7e
04-05-2017, 12:56 PM

He didn't win the league with Hamilton

MWHIBBIES
04-05-2017, 12:58 PM
He'll score 25 goals playing every week at Championship level, this isn't ''his level'', look at some of the players playing in the top flight. He'd walk into any bottom 6 side.

danhibees1875
04-05-2017, 12:59 PM
Fourth? Hamilton were runners-up. He has two medals

He didn't win the league with Hamilton

Good point. :aok:

allezsauzee
04-05-2017, 01:02 PM
He'll score 25 goals playing every week at Championship level, this isn't ''his level'', look at some of the players playing in the top flight. He'd walk into any bottom 6 side.

I'd agree that he could easily be playing the premier league but I'd imagine that Dundee United will pay better than most of the bottom 6 Premier League Clubs. Keats has to balance professional achievement with paying his mortgage. He should get a regular game and a decent salary at United

ekhibee
04-05-2017, 01:12 PM
He's a good sub to bring on, but never a 90 minute player. DU will soon find that out if they sign him. Mind you, they should already know about players like that, Simon Murray is very similar in that respect IMO.

supermcginn
04-05-2017, 01:16 PM
He's only scored 40 league goals in over 150 games, we need better for the step up good luck to him at utd.

snooky
04-05-2017, 01:24 PM
A lot of people say he's not good enough but I see players in all Scottish teams that could easily be classified as not good enough.
Plenty mercenaries but very few Messi-naries around these pairts.

GreenCastle
04-05-2017, 01:34 PM
Another player I would keep if possible.

Good for team morale - scores goals and gives us something different.

He's a natural finisher and hopefully he stays.

MWHIBBIES
04-05-2017, 01:39 PM
He's only scored 40 league goals in over 150 games, we need better for the step up good luck to him at utd.How many of those are starts?

Ozyhibby
04-05-2017, 01:40 PM
Another player I would keep if possible.

Good for team morale - scores goals and gives us something different.

He's a natural finisher and hopefully he stays.

There is not a single player in the squad who does not have people on here saying we should keep. That's a good thing as it shows that we have been doing well.
There is no way it can happen though if we are going to progress the squad for the premier league. Some popular players will have to leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDHibs
04-05-2017, 01:59 PM
Legend for his role in the cup win, and getting us promoted, but id happily let him leave.

Too inconsistent, doesnt get involved in games enough and as for a "natural finisher" he has 5 league goals this seasons in over 20 games, 1150 minutes and he will get even less time/chances in the top league.

No time for sentiment when it comes to our squad next season, need to be ruthless and aim as high as possible.

People are right, he probably would play every week for a bottom 6 side, but guess what? We arent aiming for bottom 6, we are aiming for top 4!!!

scoopyboy
04-05-2017, 02:01 PM

If that was the case then surely we should have played him every week, he would be the top scorer in the league by six clear goals.

Personally I think you're wrong.

JDHibs
04-05-2017, 02:23 PM

So you think he is better than Cummings? Off memory i dont think Cummings has hit 25 league goals in a single season?

19 this season and 18 the other 2 seasons in the league. Keatings is no where near as good as Jason, hence why hes played 2nd fiddle to Jason since he joined.

Diclonius
04-05-2017, 02:39 PM
Keatings is making a wee career for himself getting teams out of the Championship.

lucky
04-05-2017, 02:46 PM
Good move for him he's a great signing for them. I wish him all the best. I feel that the top end of the championship is his level. TBF he's failed to be a starter at Celtic, Hearts and Hibs but has done well at Hamilton, Hearts and Hibs in the championship so good luck to him

Renfrew_Hibby
04-05-2017, 02:47 PM
Dundee Utd stated recently that if they don't go up then a further wave of cuts would have to be made. Surely they will wait until they find out what league they will be in.

MWHIBBIES
04-05-2017, 02:49 PM
So you think he is better than Cummings? Off memory i dont think Cummings has hit 25 league goals in a single season?

19 this season and 18 the other 2 seasons in the league. Keatings is no where near as good as Jason, hence why hes played 2nd fiddle to Jason since he joined.

Jason should score more goals than he does as well.

I think if Keatings played 36 games up front for a decent side in this league he would score 20+ goals yes. Waghorn scored 20 in this league and he is ****ing pony. Rory Loy scored 20 as well a couple of years ago.

SirDavidsNapper
04-05-2017, 04:12 PM
He's been offered a deal with us so up to him if he takes it or moves on. Personally I'd like him to stay. Assuming we flog Cummings and Holt leaves we're going to be short and I'd like to retain some continuity.

Greenworld
04-05-2017, 04:24 PM
He's been offered a deal with us so up to him if he takes it or moves on. Personally I'd like him to stay. Assuming we flog Cummings and Holt leaves we're going to be short and I'd like to retain some continuity.
Forwards to me is one position you can chop and change ...if some leave some more will come not worried

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

calumhibee1
04-05-2017, 04:37 PM
Keatings for me is a bit like Dylan in that just when you feel ready to give up on him he reminds you of the quality that he has and you start to think we should maybe keep him. I personally don't think he'll be here next season and while I like him as a player I just don't think he's quite got the quality or consistency to be a lot of use to a team who are aiming for top four.

blackpoolhibs
04-05-2017, 05:16 PM
Jason should score more goals than he does as well.

I think if Keatings played 36 games up front for a decent side in this league he would score 20+ goals yes. Waghorn scored 20 in this league and he is ****ing pony. Rory Loy scored 20 as well a couple of years ago.

He's not good enough to earn a move and a place in the 1st 11 of a decent side, that's why he's a sub at best for the last two teams he's played for.

He's another of those types of player we've had far too many off in the past, who are too inconsistent, and flatter to deceive every now and then.

Saying all that, i'd keep him as a decent sub, but would rather we got in someone better.

MWHIBBIES
04-05-2017, 05:20 PM
He's not good enough to earn a move and a place in the 1st 11 of a decent side, that's why he's a sub at best for the last two teams he's played for.

He's another of those types of player we've had far too many off in the past, who are too inconsistent, and flatter to deceive every now and then.

Saying all that, i'd keep him as a decent sub, but would rather we got in someone better.He'd get more money at Hibs/Hearts/United than he would at Hamilton or Kilmarnock. He'd get into those sides but why go to smaller clubs? He will have done very well for himself over the last 5 years I'd imagine.

I don't think we've had too many players like that, we've had too many players who are utterly predictable and rubbish. He is neither

corby hibee
04-05-2017, 05:23 PM
I don't think he will start many games again, maybe cash and swap for Boyce?

blackpoolhibs
04-05-2017, 05:25 PM
He'd get more money at Hibs/Hearts/United than he would at Hamilton or Kilmarnock. He'd get into those sides but why go to smaller clubs? He will have done very well for himself over the last 5 years I'd imagine.

I don't think we've had too many players like that, we've had too many players who are utterly predictable and rubbish. He is neither

He'd never score 25 goals a season for any club, certainly not Hamilton or Kilmarnock and i'd even include celtic in that, who are a decent team.

We have had many players who have played the odd decent game then failed to deliver and disappear when given a start, he's just another in a long list.

emerald green
04-05-2017, 05:28 PM
Dundee Utd stated recently that if they don't go up then a further wave of cuts would have to be made. Surely they will wait until they find out what league they will be in.

:agree: I can't see DU being good enough to successfully negotiate/win potentially six play-off matches to get out of the Championship.

MWHIBBIES
04-05-2017, 05:31 PM
He'd never score 25 goals a season for any club, certainly not Hamilton or Kilmarnock and i'd even include celtic in that, who are a decent team.

We have had many players who have played the odd decent game then failed to deliver and disappear when given a start, he's just another in a long list.Brian Graham and Martin Boyle have scored 25 goals for clubs in the lower leagues, Keatings is a better goalscorer than both of them IMO.

Keatings will surprise a few people if he moves on, will do well for a club in the right system.

blackpoolhibs
04-05-2017, 05:44 PM
Brian Graham and Martin Boyle have scored 25 goals for clubs in the lower leagues, Keatings is a better goalscorer than both of them IMO.

Keatings will surprise a few people if he moves on, will do well for a club in the right system.

In one season?

MWHIBBIES
04-05-2017, 05:46 PM
In one season?Yes

blackpoolhibs
04-05-2017, 05:53 PM
Yes

Well perhaps Keatings would do the same in the lower leagues, should he get a decent team down there.

MWHIBBIES
04-05-2017, 05:56 PM
Well perhaps Keatings would do the same in the lower leagues, should he get a decent team down there.Graham done it in the Championship, playing every week with confidence can do amazing things.

blackpoolhibs
04-05-2017, 06:01 PM
Graham done it in the Championship, playing every week with confidence can do amazing things.

£100 he does not score 20 league goals next season if he leaves?

Or even if he stays.

ancient hibee
04-05-2017, 06:05 PM
Do you really think we can get a top goal scorer from the top league for a bit of cash and a guy who is at best third choice in the second tier?

oneone73
04-05-2017, 06:09 PM
Do you really think we can get a top goal scorer from the top league for a bit of cash and a guy who is at best third choice in the second tier?

... a guy who's out of contract at that!

MWHIBBIES
04-05-2017, 06:09 PM
£100 he does not score 20 league goals next season if he leaves?Eh no...I don't know who he is joining, who he is playing alongside, who the manager is, what role he will be playing etc

He could break his leg on his debut ffs...

It takes more than ability to score that many goals. I said I think he could in the right set-up at the right club, his problem is that he can't just fit in anywhere and consistently play to his best IMO.

ancient hibee
04-05-2017, 06:11 PM
... a guy who's out of contract at that!
That as well:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
04-05-2017, 06:38 PM
Eh no...I don't know who he is joining, who he is playing alongside, who the manager is, what role he will be playing etc

He could break his leg on his debut ffs...

It takes more than ability to score that many goals. I said I think he could in the right set-up at the right club, his problem is that he can't just fit in anywhere and consistently play to his best IMO.

He could do all of that, or none and sign for celtic and still wouldnt score 20 goals. He's just not that good, and way too inconsistent to get a good side where he'd play every week.

heretoday
04-05-2017, 06:41 PM
I'd definitely like him to stay. He's stepped up with some important goals this season.

We're not exactly flush with strikers unless Lennon has someone in mind for next term.

eastmainsmsh
04-05-2017, 09:44 PM
I'd definitely like him to stay. He's stepped up with some important goals this season.

We're not exactly flush with strikers unless Lennon has someone in mind for next term.

Tony watt maybe

1van Sprou7e
04-05-2017, 09:49 PM
Tony watt maybe

must be taking the pi$$

scoopyboy
04-05-2017, 09:49 PM
Brian Graham and Martin Boyle have scored 25 goals for clubs in the lower leagues, Keatings is a better goalscorer than both of them IMO.

Brian Graham has never scored anywhere near 25 goals in a season.

B.H.F.C
04-05-2017, 09:51 PM
Brian Graham has never scored anywhere near 25 goals in a season.

Think he did for Raith and that was what got him his move to Dundee Utd.

It was a one off right enough.

MWHIBBIES
04-05-2017, 09:56 PM
Brian Graham has never scored anywhere near 25 goals in a season.Aye, except that season he scored 27 goals for Raith Rovers

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=43743&season_id=142

scoopyboy
04-05-2017, 10:02 PM
Aye, except that season he scored 27 goals for Raith Rovers

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=43743&season_id=142

Aye, except you were talking League goals.

So take goals off for non Championship goals and see what you come back with.

jgl07
04-05-2017, 11:05 PM
Keatings is out of contract, no?

Sir David Gray
04-05-2017, 11:26 PM
He's a decent player but we need better than him if we're going to challenge for a top four place next season.

If he stays then of course I will continue to support him but I just doubt how much of an impact he will have in the Premiership.

J-C
04-05-2017, 11:35 PM

Boyle has only scored 22 in a season 2011-12 for Montrose in the 3rd division.

blackpoolhibs
05-05-2017, 06:03 AM
Aye, except you were talking League goals.

So take goals off for non Championship goals and see what you come back with.

Boyle has only scored 22 in a season 2011-12 for Montrose in the 3rd division.

Aye but apart from that, :wink: Keatings could score 25 goals a season if he found a decent team to play for, although i'd argue his last 2 teams are a decent as he will ever get in terms of quality.

J-C
05-05-2017, 07:15 AM
Aye but apart from that, :wink: Keatings could score 25 goals a season if he found a decent team to play for, although i'd argue his last 2 teams are a decent as he will ever get in terms of quality.

SPL stats so far this year

Scott Sinclair 21
Boyce 20
Dembele 17
Doolan 13
Armstrong 13
Walker 12
Rooney 11
McGinn 10
Miller 10

All playing in good teams yet non have scored 25 league goals this season and of all the players last year in the SPL, only Griffiths scored more than 25, in fact he got 31.

So getting 25 league goals is actually not an easy thing to achieve.

HibsNutter
05-05-2017, 11:45 AM
EEN reporting that Billy King is close to signing for them, at least that part it right:greengrin

where'stheslope
05-05-2017, 02:52 PM

Scott Sinclair 21
Boyce 20
Dembele 17
Doolan 13
Armstrong 13
Walker 12
Rooney 11
McGinn 10
Miller 10

All playing in good teams yet non have scored 25 league goals this season and of all the players last year in the SPL, only Griffiths scored more than 25, in fact he got 31.

Good facts here!!!

Will be very interesting to see how Jase will compete in that list next season if he's still here?

Biggest fact on your list is Celtic have goals from every dept of their team not just a loan striker.

So what we need to get to top 6 or above is, 2 regular goal scorers up front with goals coming from defense and midfield as often as possible.

Its a big ask, but with the right players and system it could be achievable!!!!

danhibees1875
05-05-2017, 03:00 PM

We'll give them Whittaker as well. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
05-05-2017, 03:02 PM

Scott Sinclair 21
Boyce 20
Dembele 17
Doolan 13
Armstrong 13
Walker 12
Rooney 11
McGinn 10
Miller 10

Exactly, :agree: its nonsense to say Keatings in a decent team would score so many goals, he might if he dropped down a few divisions and played for the best team in that league, but i the championship or the top league, he has no chance.

Danderhall Hibs
05-05-2017, 05:04 PM
Exactly, :agree: its nonsense to say Keatings in a decent team would score so many goals, he might if he dropped down a few divisions and played for the best team in that league, but i the championship or the top league, he has no chance.

If he dropped down a few divisions he'd get 50 minimum. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
05-05-2017, 05:07 PM
If he dropped down a few divisions he'd get 50 minimum. :greengrin

:greengrin Aye perhaps even 60, then he'd get a move to either Hibs or hearts.

Danderhall Hibs
05-05-2017, 05:15 PM
:greengrin Aye perhaps even 60, then he'd get a move to either Hibs or hearts.

He'd only get 60 if he played every week in a decent side.

blackpoolhibs
05-05-2017, 05:19 PM
He'd only get 60 if he played every week in a decent side.

So its Hibs then. :wink: