PDA

View Full Version : Richard Jobson( The Skids)

Spike Mandela
03-05-2017, 05:44 PM
Listened to a really interesting interview with Richard Jobson tonight on Radio 6 music where he talked about a variety of things and mentioned he was still passionate about footbal. Then later on he talked about going to watch Hibernian with his dad when he was younger.

Is he a Hibby or was it just his dad, did any of you guys know this?

JimBHibees
03-05-2017, 05:48 PM
Listened to a really interesting interview with Richard Jobson tonight on Radio 6 music where he talked about a variety of things and mentioned he was still passionate about footbal. Then later on he talked about going to watch Hibernian with his dad when he was younger.

Was he not a Pars fan or am I getting mixed up ?

Saturday Boy
03-05-2017, 06:10 PM

Maybe thinking of Stuart Adamson, Big County, big Pars fan?

JimBHibees
03-05-2017, 06:11 PM
Maybe thinking of Stuart Adamson, Big County, big Pars fan?

Possibly right.

green day
03-05-2017, 06:11 PM

He was just masquerading as a hibby.......

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-05-2017, 06:18 PM

Heard that he was waiting on the lot from Paisley.

Jim44
03-05-2017, 06:19 PM
He was from Ballingry near Lochgelly originally. One of my sisters in law used to teach him
when he was at primary school there.

Spike Mandela
03-05-2017, 06:19 PM
Heard that he was waiting on the lot from Paisley.

They're coming, they're coming.:aok:

keep the faith
03-05-2017, 06:20 PM
I assumed he was a Charlton fan as I saw him go into the valley......

Hillsidehibby
03-05-2017, 06:21 PM
No it was a charade.

Smartie
03-05-2017, 06:23 PM
I was positive he was a Pars man.

stantonhibby
03-05-2017, 06:26 PM
I was positive he was a Pars man.

Me too......I thought that was why they played Into the Valley as the teams come out.

Spike Mandela
03-05-2017, 06:27 PM
Stuart Adamson was the massive Pars fan in the Skids.

WoreTheGreen
03-05-2017, 06:35 PM

Really just what we need another celeb fan can we not be like our wee neighbours and have fans like Ronnie Corbitt and. Ronnie Corrbitt

cabbageandribs1875
03-05-2017, 06:44 PM
Really just what we need another celeb fan can we not be like our wee neighbours and have fans like Ronnie Corbitt and. Ronnie Corrbitt

and some obscure singer called sistero or sommit

_hucks_
03-05-2017, 06:46 PM

Mike Baillie, the drummer, is certainly a Pars fan - been good friends with his son since school days.

Topographic Hibby
03-05-2017, 06:46 PM

Saw Big Country at The Playhouse about 1983/4 when someone threw a Pars scarf at Adamson. He picked it up, tied it to his guitar and carried on the rest of the gig.

Rockin' out a few rows in front of me having a great time.......Jimmy O'Rourke!!

lionrampant63
03-05-2017, 06:48 PM
Will be off over to the weeg,after the match on sat to Skids gig,will of course make sure ive had my jags first 😊

stantonsboots
03-05-2017, 06:49 PM
Maybe thinking of Stuart Adamson, Big County, big Pars fan?ye stuart adamson was a huge pars fan. I remember talking to him at an alarm gig at the nite club (remember that) in 1984 I think and he was giving me it tight because pat Stanton had come back to manage us:greengrin

Ronniekirk
03-05-2017, 06:55 PM

He directed a film called 16 years of Alchol The film was set in Edinburgh and at the start a young boy in s Hibs top is seen playing in the strreet while his father is chatting up the woman and telling tall tales in the pub The Fields of Athenrye is belting out
The boy ends up in a gang ( dressed up clockwork orange style ) and jobson explores the realtionship with alchol and relationships
Worth a watch if you havent seen it

WoreTheGreen
03-05-2017, 06:56 PM
Saw Big Country at The Playhouse about 1983/4 when someone threw a Pars scarf at Adamson. He picked it up, tied it to his guitar and carried on the rest of the gig.

Rockin' out a few rows in front of me having a great time.......Jimmy O'Rourke!!
Saw Big country at the playhouse at hogmany they stopped at midnight for 5 mins then carried on gteat concert

Spike Mandela
03-05-2017, 07:03 PM
He directed a film called 16 years of Alchol The film was set in Edinburgh and at the start a young boy in s Hibs top is seen playing in the strreet while his father is chatting up the woman and telling tall tales in the pub The Fields of Athenrye is belting out
The boy ends up in a gang ( dressed up clockwork orange style ) and jobson explores the realtionship with alchol and relationships

:aok: Will check it out.

brog
03-05-2017, 07:09 PM
Richard's brother, James or John was a good footballer & certainly had Hibs leanings. IIRC he played lower league & E of S as a striker. Good guy also.

Saturday Boy
03-05-2017, 07:11 PM
Richard's brother, James or John was a good footballer & certainly had Hibs leanings. IIRC he played lower league & E of S as a striker. Good guy also.

Think he played for Meadowbank Thistle, and I've a vague memory of him getting a transfer to England.

The Pointer
03-05-2017, 07:43 PM

Sounds a right Pat Nevin style film. Are Mogwai in it?

Ronniekirk
03-05-2017, 08:08 PM
Sounds a right Pat Nevin style film. Are Mogwai in it?

No but one skids song Lou Reed , The Stooges Roxy Music Blue Nile plus more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hiber-nation
03-05-2017, 08:12 PM
Richard Jobson was a Celtc fan pre-Skids, maybe he had Hibs leanings too, I don't know.

His brother John had a decent career, scored quite a few for Falkirk and Raith as well as Meadowbank.

hibsbollah
03-05-2017, 08:29 PM
Mike Baillie, the drummer, is certainly a Pars fan - been good friends with his son since school days.

I know Mike as a regular patron of his outstanding Mexican deli:cbHes away off on a reunion tour with The Skids.

mjhibby
03-05-2017, 08:33 PM
Will be off over to the weeg,after the match on sat to Skids gig,will of course make sure ive had my jags first 😊

Seeing the skids on fri night. Remember seeing them at Tiffany's then chatting to jobson after the gig. Great days when there was a great gig on almost every week.

mjhibby
03-05-2017, 08:38 PM
Jobson has always been a gobby guy but always thought he was a great front man. Skids one of the most underrated bands. Songs like sweet suburbia and working for the Yankee dollar still sound great today.

Colr
03-05-2017, 08:41 PM

I saw them twice around then. I think it was Christmas and New Year. Was that it?

CMurdoch
03-05-2017, 08:52 PM

Radio 6 Music, the only music station worth listening to.
Is Jobson still passing himself off as a culture vulture. After the Skids packed up he popped up all over TV as a presenter of arty farty shows.

Topographic Hibby
03-05-2017, 08:55 PM
I saw them twice around then. I think it was Christmas and New Year. Was that it?

Nah, wasn't a Xmas/NY show. I had a look on the excellent edinburghgigarchive site and it would be one of:
18 Sept 1983
08 Oct 1984
23 Mar 1986

They did play a series of shows at Xmas, but I never caught any of these. Sure it was the "Steeltown" tour so 1984 date would be most likely. Have a look at
http://www.edinburghgigarchive.com/page21.htm

Hermit Crab
03-05-2017, 09:10 PM

Pretty sure it's a hearts scarf he picks up. I'm sure there's footage on you tube.

Topographic Hibby
03-05-2017, 09:13 PM
Pretty sure it's a hearts scarf he picks up.
Really? Long time ago and I was in the circle, so whatever you say....!!

Waxy
03-05-2017, 09:28 PM
I saw big country at ingleston. Positive it was 1986.

Forthview
03-05-2017, 09:30 PM
Great times at Tiffanys and The Nite club above The Playhouse. If honest some of the bands at Tiffanys on a Monday night were horrific, others like The Jam, Pretenders, Skids, Maiden, Rezillos, Revillos were class. ::aok:

jgl07
03-05-2017, 09:39 PM
His film 16 Years of Alcohol certainly suggest he was a Hibs fan.

The lead character is seen dressed in Hibs regalia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16_Years_of_Alcohol

poolman
03-05-2017, 09:46 PM
Saw Big country at the playhouse at hogmany they stopped at midnight for 5 mins then carried on gteat concert

Saw that gig on the box, was live, IIRC it was "Chance" they were playing at midnight when they stopped

Never saw them live but I would imagine they would be top notch

ekhibee
03-05-2017, 09:53 PM
I saw big country at ingleston. Positive it was 1986.
It still amazes me that they didn't use Ingliston for more big gigs. I saw Rush, Queen (Heart were the support on the 2nd night) Genesis and The Stranglers there and they were all great gigs. They were all in the 80's right enough.

Is It On....
03-05-2017, 10:14 PM
"Into the Valley"..what a song..

Is It On....
03-05-2017, 10:15 PM
Great times at Tiffanys and The Nite club above The Playhouse. If honest some of the bands at Tiffanys on a Monday night were horrific, others like The Jam, Pretenders, Skids, Maiden, Rezillos, Revillos were class. ::aok:

Didn't U2 play the venue above The Playhouse?

Is It On....
03-05-2017, 10:17 PM

All circus games ..

At The Edge
03-05-2017, 10:32 PM
saw them tonight in PJ's in Dunfermline, they were excellent, great set as well, not sure if hes a Hibby but he hates the Sun newspaper!

rab1875
03-05-2017, 10:41 PM
saw them tonight in PJ's in Dunfermline, they were excellent, great set as well, not sure if hes a Hibby but he hates the Sun newspaper!

Doesnt Everyone ? Was Albert Tatlock there ?

Is It On....
03-05-2017, 10:45 PM
Doesnt Everyone ? Was Albert Tatlock there ?

Ena Sharpies!! Put that on the juke box in Sneaky Pete's in the early 90s..followed up by "Bed & Breakfast Man" by Madness..

HibbiesandtheBaddies
03-05-2017, 10:53 PM

I remember nashing down from the Tron after the bells to the Big Country Hogmany gig at the Playhouse about '82/'83 ?? ish.

rab1875
03-05-2017, 10:54 PM
Ena Sharpies!! Put that on the juke box in Sneaky Pete's in the early 90s..followed up by "Bed & Breakfast Man" by Madness..

Sandy Richardson ! ,,, Leonard Rossiter ! dont write them like they used to

vincipernoi
03-05-2017, 11:12 PM
I think I remember Stuart Adamson being interviewed about the skol cup final 1991 and how much it would mean to him if they won

I think I remember an interview with Richard jobson expressing celtic / hibs leanings

saw the skids and big country live - both very good

pacorosssco
03-05-2017, 11:19 PM
Jobson and Adamson huge creative talents who quite frankly transcend football and should just be celebrated. Id have loved to see both the skids and more so big country in prime.

jgl07
03-05-2017, 11:24 PM

Film in full.

Watch five minutes in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwZqUcK38lY

The film is semi-autobiographical.

pacorosssco
03-05-2017, 11:29 PM
Film in full.

Watch five minutes in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwZqUcK38lY

The film is semi-autobiographical.

Yes but later in film they play in hoops. Great film no matter the jersey.

al1875
04-05-2017, 05:33 AM

........and the two tone tour , happy days :agree:

green day
04-05-2017, 05:41 AM
All circus games ..

Had a wee look,and I have the Charles EP, Skids first "single" released early 1978. Quality track that got them signed to Virgin.

Almost 40 years ago, eek !

Johnny Clash
04-05-2017, 05:46 AM
I saw The Skids support The Stranglers in a 'secret' gig in Clouds back in Feb 1978. The council had banned punk gigs so as a 14 old I felt very rebellious and loved it! Gig was rammed and sweat was literally dripping from the roof.

I then saw the Skids at one of the most obscure gigs ... just after they were first on TOTPs they played a wee gig at Prestonpans coz they kept a promise to a mate they'd play there . A youth club or something? I think the drummer had a Pars scarf on his drum kit? Ended up back stage with them and can mind Richard Jobson belting out a Mott the Hoople song on a battered old piano!

They were all good guys and very sad about Stuart - such a great guitarist!

overdrive
04-05-2017, 06:43 AM

A guy I was at school with was in that film. He's a yam though.

Iggy Pope
04-05-2017, 07:36 AM

Seen the Skids twice in one night at Tiffanys. Matinee and evening. Into the Valley had just gone nuclear and the place was rammed. Jobson had some engine.

Salisbury Hibby
04-05-2017, 08:01 AM
Celtic and St Pauli - still a poseur. But The Skids were cool.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

TrinityHibs
04-05-2017, 08:29 AM
I saw The Skids support The Stranglers in a 'secret' gig in Clouds back in Feb 1978. The council had banned punk gigs so as a 14 old I felt very rebellious and loved it! Gig was rammed and sweat was literally dripping from the roof.

I then saw the Skids at one of the most obscure gigs ... just after they were first on TOTPs they played a wee gig at Prestonpans coz they kept a promise to a mate they'd play there . A youth club or something? I think the drummer had a Pars scarf on his drum kit? Ended up back stage with them and can mind Richard Jobson belting out a Mott the Hoople song on a battered old piano!

They were all good guys and very sad about Stuart - such a great guitarist!

I was at that Clouds gig. We went to see The Stranglers and The Skids were a real bonus. Stuart used to drink at a pub in Townhill in Dunfermline. He was very talented and a really down to earth, nice guy.

BurghHibby
04-05-2017, 09:12 AM
It still amazes me that they didn't use Ingliston for more big gigs. I saw Rush, Queen (Heart were the support on the 2nd night) Genesis and The Stranglers there and they were all great gigs. They were all in the 80's right enough.

I was at the Queen gig anaw but not a big Queen fan, only went with mates they were and as Teardrop Explodes were supposed to be the support band, unfortunately they were only on the first night!
Ingliston acoustics were pretty pants though, think that was the main reason there wasn't more gigs there.

mjhibby
04-05-2017, 09:17 AM
Jobson and Adamson huge creative talents who quite frankly transcend football and should just be celebrated. Id have loved to see both the skids and more so big country in prime.

Seen big country in one of their first ever gigs at Madison's,the club over the playhouse. Brilliant gig even though I hadn't heard the songs. Chance stood out on first time on hearing and remains one of the great songs. Saw skids loads of times. Just great days watching great gigs. Oh lord where did that feeling go,music has never been so low.

wpj
04-05-2017, 09:23 AM
I was at the Queen gig anaw but not a big Queen fan, only went with mates they were and as Teardrop Explodes were supposed to be the support band, unfortunately they were only on the first night!
Ingliston acoustics were pretty pants though, think that was the main reason there wasn't more gigs there.

That was the night I was there, Queen fans in general didn't take to The Teardrop Explodes not that St Julian cared dodging the items thrown at him.

Saw the Skids playing the rooftop of Virgin records in Glasgow with the Ian Gillan band!!! I think it was the opening of the store.

Geo_1875
04-05-2017, 09:26 AM

That and the pitched battles.

wpj
04-05-2017, 09:28 AM
That and the pitched battles.

Was that a Madness gig?

mjhibby
04-05-2017, 10:10 AM
I was at the madness gig when the right wing guys kicked off. Just missed a flying boot. It wasn't funny and the gig finished early. The nutters followed them everywhere.

Smartie
04-05-2017, 10:33 AM
I was at the madness gig when the right wing guys kicked off. Just missed a flying boot. It wasn't funny and the gig finished early. The nutters followed them everywhere.

Was it right wing guys or football hooligans? I've heard different accounts.

One account I heard was that Hibs were more than represented when it was all kicking off.

FilipinoHibs
04-05-2017, 10:54 AM
Saw the Skids support the Stranglers at the Clouds in 70s - a secret gig. Big Country early eighties in Playhouse support Clover!

Johnny Clash
04-05-2017, 11:20 AM

One account I heard was that Hibs were more than represented when it was all kicking off.

Not sure. I think it the bother at the Madness gig had something to do with the support band? A few young Madness fans got their heads split open when missiles were thrown. Not clever. Cowardly thing to do!

pollution
04-05-2017, 11:40 AM
I met Jobson once, in the late Eighties. He shared a flat with my cousin in London. Nice guy too.

patch1875
04-05-2017, 11:43 AM
I like him.

He also wrote New Town Killers.

.Sean.
04-05-2017, 11:45 AM
I think I remember Stuart Adamson being interviewed about the skol cup final 1991 and how much it would mean to him if they won

I think I remember an interview with Richard jobson expressing celtic / hibs leanings

saw the skids and big country live - both very good
I may be wrong (I often am) but I have, or well my dad does, the Skol Cup final programme and I'm sure there's an interview with Stuart Adamson in it.

wookie70
04-05-2017, 11:46 AM
I used to camp out for Big Country gigs back in the early 80s. Usually in the front row for the gigs particularly the ones at new year. They were a fantastic live band. I only saw Richard Jobson once playing wit the Armoury Show at Barrowlands, really decent set. Pretty sure he was supporting Big Country. Mike Peters of the Alarm, who I go to watch most years for the last quarter of a century, plays the Adamson roll in Big Country quite often and does it well.

One Day Soon
04-05-2017, 11:48 AM

The Sneeky Pete's jukebox (it was Sneeky, not Sneaky) - now you're talking. And the pub was owned by Billy Lowe, a massive Hibee.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
04-05-2017, 11:56 AM
Staurt Adamson and one of the other guys from the band used to sponsor a motorcycle race team at Knockhill back in the '80s, Howard Selby I think.

good guys :agree:

Bighoose
04-05-2017, 12:12 PM

Used to watch John Jobson play for Berwick Rangers. Fans used to chant "Jobbie - Jobbie - Jobbie, Job - Job - Job".

mjhibby
04-05-2017, 02:03 PM

Nothing to do with football.mostly national front guys.

Iggy Pope
04-05-2017, 02:14 PM
Didn't U2 play the venue above The Playhouse?

Right off topic, but yes they did. September 1980 and they were brilliant.
Ably supported on the night by an unknown Altered Images.

Iggy Pope
04-05-2017, 02:16 PM
Sandy Richardson ! ,,, Leonard Rossiter ! dont write them like they used to

Kenny Dalglish! Meg Mortimer!

Spike Mandela
04-05-2017, 05:11 PM
Here's the iplayer link to interview( if it works). About 2hrs 11 in he's talking about going to see Hibs with his dad and eating oysters in ER before that became posh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08n9mtp

green with envy
04-05-2017, 05:46 PM

His brother John played against Hibs at Tyncastle in a 3rd or 4th round Scottish cup tie circa '80 with Hibs winning 1-0 - Ralph Callaghan scoring the winner. Oh and it wizzny against herts.:wink:

He was actually quite a tidy player from memory - played CF.

blackpoolhibs
04-05-2017, 05:58 PM
Saw Big country at Knebworth in 86, they supported Queen . They sounded pretty bad, and not that loud either.

Remember being a little disappointed, and the crowd were more or less ignoring them.

Yet when Queen came on the sound was LOUD.

mjhibby
05-05-2017, 09:30 PM
Just been to see the skids and it was one of the best gigs I've seen in years. Jobson was brilliant and is still full of energy. Forgot how brilliant songs like charade,madquerade and working for the Yankee dollar were. Buzzing and away to play my CDs when I get in

Hibby70
06-05-2017, 12:03 AM
Oh lord where did that feeling go,music has never been so low.

I see what you did there. :)

Wee Effen Bee
06-05-2017, 06:02 AM
Saw the Skids at the Playhouse when Jobson copied Bowie's pleated white trousers, white capped t-shirt and dinky wee sailor's hat look...awfy cool:cool2:. Outstanding gig!

mjhibby
06-05-2017, 09:27 AM
I see what you did there. :)

Did you figure it out just by chance.lol.

bod
06-05-2017, 10:01 AM
I used to camp out for Big Country gigs back in the early 80s. Usually in the front row for the gigs particularly the ones at new year. They were a fantastic live band. I only saw Richard Jobson once playing wit the Armoury Show at Barrowlands, really decent set. Pretty sure he was supporting Big Country. Mike Peters of the Alarm, who I go to watch most years for the last quarter of a century, plays the Adamson roll in Big Country quite often and does it well.

Camped outside as well.can mind somebody stealing the early morning rolls & dishing them out

southsider
06-05-2017, 10:05 AM
Right off topic, but yes they did. September 1980 and they were brilliant.
Ably supported on the night by an unknown Altered Images.
Saw U2 play Cinderella Rockerfella in (I think) '78 and the Skids and The Valves play The Yellow Carvel in the Tron. OMG I am getting on a bit.

Iggy Pope
06-05-2017, 12:27 PM
Saw U2 play Cinderella Rockerfella in (I think) '78 and the Skids and The Valves play The Yellow Carvel in the Tron. OMG I am getting on a bit.

I reckon Cinderellas would still have been Tiffanys in 78. And that was very early U2.
Loved The Valves.

wookie70
06-05-2017, 12:42 PM
Camped outside as well.can mind somebody stealing the early morning rolls & dishing them out I remember that well. Happened a good few times.