PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Lennon NHC

Navids Numpties
03-05-2017, 08:33 AM
Detained under the mental health act according to the BBC

Scouse Hibee
03-05-2017, 08:50 AM
Will hopefully now get the help and support he needs to conquer his troubles.

Scottie
03-05-2017, 09:03 AM
Will hopefully now get the help and support he needs to conquer his troubles.
:agree: Doesn't matter how much you earn or what you do in life mental health holds no boundaries for any of us. Good luck to him in his future.

ekhibee
03-05-2017, 09:05 AM
I was just reading about this. Koeman made an announcement before the game against Man Utd last month, saying Lennon "was not in a physical way to be part of the team." Make of that what you will, but it's a sad enditement on our game that players struggle to cope with the constant pressures involved in the modern game. To be fair, there are plenty of jobs that are just as, if not more stressful than playing professional football, but fortunately there is much more focus on mental health these days than there was before and allows people to get the proper treatment. Having suffered personally in this respect, I hope he gets the necessary treatment to allow him to continue the job he's trained to do, although often that isn't the case.

Pretty Boy
03-05-2017, 09:20 AM
Good luck to him.

I think some people often forget footballers at all levels are human. Hopefully he gets the help and support he needs.

CallumLaidlaw
03-05-2017, 09:26 AM
Good luck to him.

I think some people often forget footballers at all levels are human. Hopefully he gets the help and support he needs.

Correct. Some of the stuff posted on social media is pathetic. "oh what ahard life he must have" etc. People should maybe take notice of the stuff that the likes of Andy McLaren and Steve Walters have spoken about in recent times, and remember what happened to Gary Speed. These guys might have good wages but no one know what goes on in their lives.

JDHibs
03-05-2017, 10:27 AM
Good luck to him on his recovery, hopefully hes now getting the support and care he requires to battle through!

As others have said, footballers are humans, although they may be better off financially, i cant imagine the stress of having to try and perform infront of huge crowds, week in and week out, any mistake you make getting booed or nit picked on. Never mind your private life constantly being photographed and sprawled over across national newspapers for the country to see.

Its something most people wont think about, they will think of the monetary gains.

Unseen work
03-05-2017, 11:08 AM
Horrible to hear. Supposedly negotiated with him for 20 minutes at the side of a busy road.

Good luck to a player I was a big fan of.

it just goes to show that footballers are human and have feeling and emotions like the rest of us, the only thing that separates us is that they have excelled in a sport that is constantly under the publics eye.

Some fans say stuff like "I pay £25 a week I'm allowed to call them whatever I want/say how I feel" blah blah blah.

That is true, however maybe they will realise that some can't brush it off as easy as others and it can seriously effect them.

Im not saying Lennons is down to fans or pressure, it could be anything.

But it should surely make you think.

CallumLaidlaw
03-05-2017, 11:24 AM
Horrible to hear. Supposedly negotiated with him for 20 minutes at the side of a busy road.

it just goes to show that footballers are human and have feeling and emotions like the rest of us, the only thing that separates us is that they have excelled in a sport that is constantly under the publics eye.

Some fans say stuff like "I pay £25 a week I'm allowed to call them whatever I want/say how I feel" blah blah blah.

That is true, however maybe they will realise that some can't brush it off as easy as others and it can seriously effect them.

All so true. I'd love to be a pro footballer. But not sure I am thick skinned enough to allow SOME of the stuff that gets shouted at players to just bounce off.

Frogga
03-05-2017, 11:29 AM

Well said, particularly when it's your own fans.

I've read The Secret Footballer books and he talks about how lots of players are living with depression, etc. Apparently a lot of players dread Saturdays and I don't blame them.

FranckSuzy
03-05-2017, 03:57 PM
Very sad to hear and I hope he gets all of the help and support he needs. I must say though that I feel uncomfortable that his mental health has even been mentioned. The man is ill, regardless whether it is in a physical or psychological way, and yet it feels as if it has been 'sensationalised' more by the media.

It was the same when Frank Bruno had his troubles when there were stories about the manner of his detention. The media wouldn't give such details about someone being taken to hospital after breaking their leg or needing their appendix removed so why is this different? :confused: :grr:

CropleyWasGod
03-05-2017, 04:04 PM
Very sad to hear and I hope he gets all of the help and support he needs. I must say though that I feel uncomfortable that his mental health has even been mentioned. The man is ill, regardless whether it is in a physical or psychological way, and yet it feels as if it has been 'sensationalised' more by the media.

It was the same when Frank Bruno had his troubles when there were stories about the manner of his detention. The media wouldn't give such details about someone being taken to hospital after breaking their leg or needing their appendix removed so why is this different? :confused: :grr:

One word,.... stigma.

We (collectively) like the opportunity to point at, and talk about, people who might be out of the ordinary. There's something comforting about knowing that we're not "like them". The media can feed off that.

And yet, there is a lighter side to the sensationalism. No matter how the media dresses things up, the fact is we are actually talking about it. This wouldn't have happened 10 years ago; that has to be a good thing.

FranckSuzy
03-05-2017, 04:15 PM
One word,.... stigma.

We (collectively) like the opportunity to point at, and talk about, people who might be out of the ordinary. There's something comforting about knowing that we're not "like them". The media can feed off that.

And yet, there is a lighter side to the sensationalism. No matter how the media dresses things up, the fact is we are actually talking about it. This wouldn't have happened 10 years ago; that has to be a good thing.

Very true :agree: :aok:

heretoday
03-05-2017, 05:57 PM
The fact is none of us know what's going on in Aaron's head and neither we should.

Talk of his troubles being football-related sounds like idle and cynical speculation to me.

lord bunberry
03-05-2017, 06:08 PM
The fact is none of us know what's going on in Aaron's head and neither we should.

Talk of his troubles being football-related sounds like idle and cynical speculation to me.

Agreed. Possibly even agenda driven.

03-05-2017, 06:33 PM
Very sad to hear and hope he gets the right help and supported needed.

Just shows you that money doesn't always buy happiness and that footballers are human beings too. They are privileged to do what they do for a living and earn lots of money doing it but that doesn't make them immune to human emotion.

Good luck to Aaron Lennon. Mental health is a very real thing that society needs to talk more about. It doesn't discriminate. It doesn't matter how much money you have or what your circumstances are, it can affect anyone. I hope if theres any positive to come out of this, its that we raise the profile of mental health and encourage more people not only in football but in general to come forward and seek help. Lets completely eradicate the stigma altogether, it WILL save lives.

mjhibby
11-05-2017, 03:26 PM
Superb article by Jamie carragher in last Saturdays mail on how stressed he was playing for Liverpool in his last few seasons. Felt he and stevie g had to be on top form every game for them to win. When they won the cup in 2006 he didn't enjoy the celebrations as he was still annoyed with himself at scoring an own goal. He sought help from a sports psychologist away from Liverpool. As he says players are just ordinary guys who happen to be good at football. Said a lot of players take what is said at games and on social media to heart. As everbody has said at least guys are talking about their issues with stress and of course gambling,something that would never have happened 20 years ago.

Stevie Reid
11-05-2017, 03:49 PM
Superb article by Jamie carragher in last Saturdays mail on how stressed he was playing for Liverpool in his last few seasons. Felt he and stevie g had to be on top form every game for them to win. When they won the cup in 2006 he didn't enjoy the celebrations as he was still annoyed with himself at scoring an own goal. He sought help from a sports psychologist away from Liverpool. As he says players are just ordinary guys who happen to be good at football. Said a lot of players take what is said at games and on social media to heart. As everbody has said at least guys are talking about their issues with stress and of course gambling,something that would never have happened 20 years ago.

I like Carragher and I'm sure it's a good article, but I won't read it as it was written for that rag. It's a shame he chooses to write for a paper that covered the story of Lennon's problems in such a disgusting way.

mjhibby
11-05-2017, 05:27 PM
I get it free at my work otherwise wouldn't look at it. He writes cracking articles every week and gives an different insight to the life of a footballer. Fascinating that even when his team was on such a high he couldn't enjoy it which in many ways is what affected Lennon. The debate on mental health is thankfully out in the open an it's good for those suffering to see that it affects loads of people in loads of walks of life. Maybe when fans are abusing players they should maybe have a think the effect it had on players. How someone like Joe totalano managed to perform with the abuse he got was amazing and showed amazing mental strength. Unfortunately not every player is as strong as that. I can't think of any player who plays better when being abused from the terraces.

Hibernia&Alba
11-05-2017, 09:27 PM
Detained under the mental health act according to the BBC

That's very sad news. I know he was reported as suffering from depression, but he must be in very bad shape if he's been sectioned. I wish him a speedy recovery and all the best going forward. Let's hope we see him playing again soon.

pacorosssco
11-05-2017, 10:23 PM
I like Carragher and I'm sure it's a good article, but I won't read it as it was written for that rag. It's a shame he chooses to write for a paper that covered the story of Lennon's problems in such a disgusting way.

Mental problems depression can bury any one of us and any who suffer deppresion have my upmost sympothy. Im sorry but I find Carraghers comparison of simple footballer pressure to win games poor. Aaron lennon clearly is ill and winning games is of little relavence. I Wish all with struggles my very best and hope can come out other side

heretoday
12-05-2017, 12:48 AM
Mental problems depression can bury any one of us and any who suffer deppresion have my upmost sympothy. Im sorry but I find Carraghers comparison of simple footballer pressure to win games poor. Aaron lennon clearly is ill and winning games is of little relavence. I Wish all with struggles my very best and hope can come out other side

Hear hear. Lennon is ill and it's not likely to be anything to do with football. The ignorance of the likes of Carragher and, I might add, Alan Brazil who suggested Aaron was upset at being left out of the team is born out of thinking football is the be-all and end-all of life.

mjhibby
12-05-2017, 12:58 AM
Hear hear. Lennon is ill and it's not likely to be anything to do with football. The ignorance of the likes of Carragher and, I might add, Alan Brazil who suggested Aaron was upset at being left out of the team is born out of thinking football is the be-all and end-all of life.

Carragher does not compare his situation to Lennon but is merely pointing out that he seemed help when the pressure of the game was getting to him. We've seen in people like frank Bruno how being a sportsman is stressful and carragher is merely stating that he was taking bad days out on his family etc. Mental illness takes many forms so I don't think we should be slagging carragher at all. Good luck to Lennon and I hope he gets through his issues.

hibsbollah
12-05-2017, 05:56 AM
Carragher does not compare his situation to Lennon but is merely pointing out that he seemed help when the pressure of the game was getting to him. We've seen in people like frank Bruno how being a sportsman is stressful and carragher is merely stating that he was taking bad days out on his family etc. Mental illness takes many forms so I don't think we should be slagging carragher at all. Good luck to Lennon and I hope he gets through his issues.

I'm sure Carragher didn't mean any harm, it was just ill-informed and counterproductive. How he felt because he scored an own goal in a match is irrelevant to Aaron Lennon being sectioned.

pacorosssco
12-05-2017, 06:18 AM

Alan Brazil is a horrible individual who is best ignored at all times

Pete
12-05-2017, 06:30 AM

Alan Brazil let's his guard slip very early on in his show when nobody is listening and I don't think he's nasty or horrible. I think he tries to understand but he's from a different era. He's also had his demons to deal with so let's not judge him too harshly as he maybe has a different perspective on certain issues.

heretoday
12-05-2017, 06:48 AM

Sometimes I don't get to the off switch quickly enough!

mjhibby
12-05-2017, 07:53 AM
I'm sure Carragher didn't mean any harm, it was just ill-informed and counterproductive. How he felt because he scored an own goal in a match is irrelevant to Aaron Lennon being sectioned.

I'm surmising here but I think the point carragher was trying to make is that had he not sought help from outside the liverpool bubble who knows how bad his situation could have got. I don't have the full story of how Lennon has got to this stage but maybe if someone had seen the signs and got him help then he may have had his situation alleviated. The main thing to come out of the situation in Lennon is that hopefully any top sportsman who is suffering severe mental issues due to stress or other factors gets help or those closest spot the signs and get him help. It can strike at anybody and the pressure on modern sportsman is enormous. Not to say that bringing up a family in today's social media age isn't stressful.

mjhibby
12-05-2017, 07:57 AM
Our own Neil Lennon has said the hibs family helped him get through dark times. Here's hoping all those around Aaron Lennon can get him through this.

Jones28
12-05-2017, 08:27 AM

Absolutely this. Lenny talked about his battle with depression as a player and describing his feelings after winning at ibrox saying he just wanted to leave everyone and go home. Results etc will be of very little comfort to Aaron Lennon just now.

hibsbollah
12-05-2017, 11:03 AM
I'm surmising here but I think the point carragher was trying to make is that had he not sought help from outside the liverpool bubble who knows how bad his situation could have got. I don't have the full story of how Lennon has got to this stage but maybe if someone had seen the signs and got him help then he may have had his situation alleviated. The main thing to come out of the situation in Lennon is that hopefully any top sportsman who is suffering severe mental issues due to stress or other factors gets help or those closest spot the signs and get him help. It can strike at anybody and the pressure on modern sportsman is enormous. Not to say that bringing up a family in today's social media age isn't stressful.

I dont really disagree with what you're saying, but the point is that people need to understand that feeling 'stressed' or being unhappy or sad at work doesn't cause mental illness, in the same way that feeling stressed doesn't cause heart disease. Its a really complicated subject with a lot of subtleties that Carragher or Brazil are probably not best equipped to comment on. I suppose pundits are encouraged to have active opinions about everything which is where the problems lie.