PDA

View Full Version : Gray and McGregor miss first game in premiership

Jag7
03-05-2017, 07:21 AM
Hibs will resume life in the Premiership with both skipper David Gray and his fellow defender Darren McGregor sidelined.

Read more at: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-defensive-duo-suspended-for-start-of-premiership-season-1-4435272

SirDavidsNapper
03-05-2017, 07:25 AM
Let's hope the first game is against poor opposition. Hamilton or Hearts please

Salt N Sauzee
03-05-2017, 07:25 AM
Let's hope the first game is against poor opposition. Hamilton or Hearts plsase

Rangers away. Nice easy start.

Ryan91
03-05-2017, 07:26 AM
Rangers away. Nice easy start.

We'll be at home to start season

Iain G
03-05-2017, 07:26 AM
Hibs will resume life in the Premiership with both skipper David Gray and his fellow defender Darren McGregor sidelined.

Read more at: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-defensive-duo-suspended-for-start-of-premiership-season-1-4435272

Oh well, Whittaker and Ambrose can step into the gap :greengrin

03-05-2017, 07:32 AM
Let's hope the first game is against poor opposition. Hamilton or Hearts please

We could do with Daz in the team against Hertz to give Don Cowie (if he's still there after their summer clearout) a wee reminder of the last match.

Marco G
03-05-2017, 07:44 AM

SFA must be only ones who carry over booking suspensions to next season? Or make you miss a cup final with two bookings? Don't think it happens in any other country? (Noticed in Champions League, bookings are wiped once you get to semis).

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

danhibees1875
03-05-2017, 07:59 AM
In hindsight we should have just accepted the red McGregor wrongly got against Morton then? Is anyone else on 5 bookings ahead of the St Mirren game?

SChibs
03-05-2017, 08:16 AM
What a joke that if you pick up 6 bookings over the course of 36 games you miss the first game of the next season. Fair enough if it's your second ban for yellows from that campaign but first is just daft

Big_Franck
03-05-2017, 08:36 AM
It's stupid for suspensions for yellows to carry over in to the next season, but the club should know the rules. As such it really surprises me that we played both these players in meaningless games knowing that they ran the risk of being suspended for the first game of the season. Poor squad management IMO.

Springbank
03-05-2017, 08:42 AM
It's seemed a stick-on for ages for me that the first game back would be a home derby
* we need to play at home to raise the flag
* hearts need to play away for the first 4-5 games to allow their meccano Shan Stand at the Begging Bowl to be "completed"
* the TV firms will be delighted to have the Edinburgh Derby back on the fixture schedule and can make a big deal of it
so this news can only make it more likely as far as I can see !

MB62
03-05-2017, 09:08 AM
It's seemed a stick-on for ages for me that the first game back would be a home derby
* we need to play at home to raise the flag
* hearts need to play away for the first 4-5 games to allow their meccano Shan Stand at the Begging Bowl to be "completed"
* the TV firms will be delighted to have the Edinburgh Derby back on the fixture schedule and can make a big deal of it
so this news can only make it more likely as far as I can see !

Will this mean our first 4-5 games will be at Home?
Brilliant IF you can get off to a flier and get points on the board, but it's been our AWAY record that has been impressive and the main reason we got promoted.

derekHFC
03-05-2017, 10:17 AM
It's stupid for suspensions for yellows to carry over in to the next season, but the club should know the rules. As such it really surprises me that we played both these players in meaningless games knowing that they ran the risk of being suspended for the first game of the season. Poor squad management IMO.

This is bang on for me.

You know how many bookings a player has, so why play them if there is that risk??

Stupid and amateurish from Hibs.

scoopyboy
03-05-2017, 10:27 AM
Brilliant IF you can get off to a flier and get points on the board, but it's been our AWAY record that has been impressive and the main reason we got promoted.

No

hibee_girl
03-05-2017, 10:40 AM

It shouldn't, we can still play away while Hearts are away. No need for us to be affected

Andy74
03-05-2017, 10:50 AM
This is bang on for me.

You know how many bookings a player has, so why play them if there is that risk??

Stupid and amateurish from Hibs.

Nonsense.

PiemanP
03-05-2017, 11:23 AM
Silly rule.

If we were being clever we should have played them in the Raith game and picked up a booking meaning the time was served in this league.

Smartie
03-05-2017, 11:30 AM
They could be missing a whole lot more than just the first game if they don't get round to signing a new contract pretty soon.

Andy74
03-05-2017, 11:44 AM
They could be missing a whole lot more than just the first game if they don't get round to signing a new contract pretty soon.

Yep, a little detail not mentioned, neither are under contract for next season anyway.

Since90+2
03-05-2017, 11:50 AM
Yep, a little detail not mentioned, neither are under contract for next season anyway.

Darren will 100% percent be at the club next season. No idea about Gray.

1van Sprou7e
03-05-2017, 11:52 AM
No chance Daz leaves

Also, there's the possibility that some players have signed but they're waiting for a good time to announce it

derekHFC
03-05-2017, 11:53 AM
Nonsense.

So a player is on 5 cautions and you know that a 6th caution will rule them out of the start of next season, which is potentially an opening game v Hearts.

Do you think its a good idea to play them in what was a meaningless game?

marinello59
03-05-2017, 11:58 AM
So a player is on 5 cautions and you know that a 6th caution will rule them out of the start of next season, which is potentially an opening game v Hearts.

We have no idea who we will be playing on the first day of the season. Both players could pick up a caution in the opener against, let's say , Hamilton ruling them out of a game against the Old Firm or Hearts. Both players might not be here next season.
You can't pick a team based on a hypothetical situation which might occur when there are so many variable at work.

Sean1875
03-05-2017, 11:59 AM
Absolute stick on we'll get Hearts first game of the season.

1van Sprou7e
03-05-2017, 12:10 PM
We have no idea who we will be playing on the first day of the season. Both players could pick up a caution in the opener against, let's say , Hamilton ruling them out of a game against the Old Firm or Hearts. Both players might not be here next season.
You can't pick a team based on a hypothetical situation which might occur when there are so many variable at work.

Pretty sure that's not how it works

hibbysam
03-05-2017, 12:11 PM

You can when the game they got booked in was totally meaningless and you knew they would miss next seasons opener. By the time the opener comes their tally is reset, so no a booking against Hamilton on the opening day cannot rule them out. Even so, that game against 'Hamilton' is a meaningful game where the result matters. Last weeks result in the grand scheme of things didn't matter.

Marco G
03-05-2017, 12:15 PM
It shouldn't, we can still play away while Hearts are away. No need for us to be affected
Correct. SPFL have already agreed we get preference for the Saturday 3pm slot at home ie Hearts have to play their batch of home games on a Sunday or whatever to avoid a clash

Andy74
03-05-2017, 12:18 PM
You can when the game they got booked in was totally meaningless and you knew they would miss next seasons opener. By the time the opener comes their tally is reset, so no a booking against Hamilton on the opening day cannot rule them out. Even so, that game against 'Hamilton' is a meaningful game where the result matters. Last weeks result in the grand scheme of things didn't matter.

I think Neil Lennon would say so what to all that - next season is next season, both players aren't even contracted for next season and there are also benefits to winning games this year even at this stage and in having your young or fringe players playing with the more established players.

Anything can happen at the start of next season - the players might not be here, there might be better players at the club who play instead, they might injured anyway in a warm up game or the cup games we play. Dealing with suspensions and injuries is just what we will always have to do at all stages of the season.

To have called it stupid or amateur is just ridiculous.

Corstorphine Hibby
03-05-2017, 12:19 PM

Emergency loans could be just the thing to appease our new league opposition

lord bunberry
03-05-2017, 12:58 PM
I said the same on another thread. Any players who were at risk of a ban shouldn't have played for the last 3 games. These games are meaningless, it's all about next season now. As you say it's poor squad management.

Since90+2
03-05-2017, 01:03 PM
I said the same on another thread. Any players who were at risk of a ban shouldn't have played for the last 3 games. These games are meaningless, it's all about next season now. As you say it's poor squad management.

I suspect Lennon would agree with you and he simply wasn't aware of the consequences of a booking for either player.

Centre Hawf
03-05-2017, 01:08 PM
I think Neil Lennon would say so what to all that - next season is next season, both players aren't even contracted for next season and there are also benefits to winning games this year even at this stage and in having your young or fringe players playing with the more established players.

Anything can happen at the start of next season - the players might not be here, there might be better players at the club who play instead, they might injured anyway in a warm up game or the cup games we play. Dealing with suspensions and injuries is just what we will always have to do at all stages of the season.

I understand what you're saying but surely it's good management practise to minimise risk? In this instance the risk was potentially losing key players for competitive games and its come back to bite us.

If McGregor and Gray sign and we get handed an old firm or Hearts game first week of next season then I'm sorry but Lennon has made a terrible mistake. Even if we play someone like Hamilton we've handicapped ourselves for absolutely no reason.

derekHFC
03-05-2017, 01:10 PM

Bookings get reset to zero at the start of a season so that angle has no relevance.

Only suspensions carry over, not the number of bookings you've had.

As I said, amateurish at best from Hibs for this.

Billy Whizz
03-05-2017, 01:12 PM
Bookings get reset to zero at the start of a season so that angle has no relevance.

Only suspensions carry over, not the number of bookings you've had.

As I said, amateurish at best from Hibs for this.

I agree 100%, should have been put in cold storage for the season

And for the players involved, get off to a winning start, and they might not get back in the team for a while!

danhibees1875
03-05-2017, 01:22 PM

I would be surprised if Lennon said so what as a way to justify it, that would be very short sighted of him.

Unless you're ITK and both players are leaving this summer (unlikely, I hope) then I'd have to say playing them v Ayr was a bad call. Whether we start next season against Hearts, Celtic, or Dundee I'd have liked to have seen McGregor and Gray in the starting line up (assuming they're still Hibs players).

derekHFC
03-05-2017, 01:24 PM
I agree 100%, should have been put in cold storage for the season

And for the players involved, get off to a winning start, and they might not get back in the team for a while!

Happened to Martin McIntosh in 2000.

Signed in the February and was playing in the team at the end of the season, but got booked needlessly in the 2nd last game.

He was then suspended 1st game of the next season, couldn't get back into the team and was subsequently loaned to Rotherham.

SanFranHibs
03-05-2017, 01:39 PM

A very sensible appreciation of the situation :agree:

Newly promoted, possible major personnel changes and yet some are calling Hibs stupid and amateurish for allowing a couple of regular starters to play in a 'meaningless' game because they might pick up a yellow and miss the first game of the following season. Why play any of them against St Mirren, just in case we pick up more yellows or some reds. It's a 'meaningless' game. Maybe they could just sit this one out, not bother training and just help us with the dot count.

:flag::flag:

Bristolhibby
03-05-2017, 02:04 PM

Yes, pick up a booking v Raith Rovers, sit out Ayr. Suspension served.

I'm surprised they didn't do this.

IIRC Beckham was one booking from a ban for England when he broke his ribs v Wales. He knew he would be out for the next game with broken ribs, so he tripped a Welsh player, got himself booked and served his suspension while out injured anyway.

J

Andy74
03-05-2017, 02:10 PM
Yes, pick up a booking v Raith Rovers, sit out Ayr. Suspension served.

I'm surprised they didn't do this.

IIRC Beckham was one booking from a ban for England when he broke his ribs v Wales. He knew he would be out for the next game with broken ribs, so he tripped a Welsh player, got himself booked and served his suspension while out injured anyway.

J

When they don't know what team they will be with next year?

I'm sure they will both bye back but you never now. One thing I do know, however, is that this has been blown out of all proportion. Might be a minor annoyance come the start of next season, might not. From what I've seen of Lennon he wouldn't give much of a thought to it when we are still playing games now.

danhibees1875
03-05-2017, 02:13 PM
A very sensible appreciation of the situation :agree:

Newly promoted, possible major personnel changes and yet some are calling Hibs stupid and amateurish for allowing a couple of regular starters to play in a 'meaningless' game because they might pick up a yellow and miss the first game of the following season. Why play any of them against St Mirren, just in case we pick up more yellows or some reds. It's a 'meaningless' game. Maybe they could just sit this one out, not bother training and just help us with the dot count.

:flag::flag:

Well there were only 2 players that had to be protected in that way, not the whole team. The chances of a booking are far higher than an injury or red so it's not a fair comparison there.

Tbh yes, had hibs said Gray and McGregor won't feature v Ayr or st Mirren due to possible suspensions and would instead be counting the south stand dots I would have said it was a sensible decision. :wink:

Andy74
03-05-2017, 02:22 PM
Well there were only 2 players that had to be protected in that way, not the whole team. The chances of a booking are far higher than an injury or red so it's not a fair comparison there.

Tbh yes, had hibs said Gray and McGregor won't feature v Ayr or st Mirren due to possible suspensions and would instead be counting the south stand dots I would have said it was a sensible decision. :wink:

Would look a bit odd doing it when they haven't signed contracts for next season but we are keeping them out for the rest of the season in case they get a suspension for an unknown game next season.

Assume we would also have had to leave them out on Saturday for lifting the trophy? Would all have been a bit OTT.

danhibees1875
03-05-2017, 02:26 PM
Would look a bit odd doing it when they haven't signed contracts for next season but we are keeping them out for the rest of the season in case they get a suspension for an unknown game next season.

Assume we would also have had to leave them out on Saturday for lifting the trophy? Would all have been a bit OTT.
The expectation is surely that they will be hibs players next season, we should therefore be making decisions as if this was the case.
It's an unknown game, but it's still going to be a competitive premiership game where we'll need our best players available - not sitting out because they got booked v Ayr after we'd already won the championship.

They could have been on the bench this Saturday.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
03-05-2017, 02:34 PM
They both should've just kicked someone at 3-0 up against QoTS

Bristolhibby
03-05-2017, 02:49 PM
They both should've just kicked someone at 3-0 up against QoTS

This. And was what my earlier Beckham post was saying.

Sit out a meaningless game and get the slate wiped.

J

lord bunberry
03-05-2017, 03:24 PM

It's not OTT in any way! It's being sensible. There's a possibility that we will be weakened by not having two first team players available for the first game of the season. Both of them might be away, but they might also be first team regulars as they are now. If we're talking about people not being here it's also possible that Lennon might not be here.
Instead of speculating about what might or might not happen we should've taken the sensible approach and left them out.

Marco G
03-05-2017, 03:30 PM
Emergency loans could be just the thing to appease our new league opposition
Happily we will not be in a league that allows emergency loans next season! Reason we will need a strong squad. 🤣

Andy74
03-05-2017, 06:25 PM
It's not OTT in any way! It's being sensible. There's a possibility that we will be weakened by not having two first team players available for the first game of the season. Both of them might be away, but they might also be first team regulars as they are now. If we're talking about people not being here it's also possible that Lennon might not be here.
Instead of speculating about what might or might not happen we should've taken the sensible approach and left them out.

Nah, not for me. Or the manager.

JimBHibees
03-05-2017, 06:32 PM
Silly rule.

If we were being clever we should have played them in the Raith game and picked up a booking meaning the time was served in this league.

That wouldn't have worked as bookings are served 14 days after the booking so after the season end.

ancient hibee
03-05-2017, 10:01 PM
What were they doing getting themselves booked in a stroll against Ayr?

wookie70
03-05-2017, 10:10 PM
Poor squad management. No need for Daz or SDG to be playing and completely unnecessary them missing the first game of next season. Surely the expectation was they will be with us next year.

marinello59
03-05-2017, 10:16 PM
Poor squad management. No need for Daz or SDG to be playing and completely unnecessary them missing the first game of next season. Surely the expectation was they will be with us next year.

Surely the expectation is that we will have a considerably stronger squad next year able to cope with suspensions / injuries etc?

Scouse Hibee
03-05-2017, 10:25 PM
Deary me, leave them out because this or that might happen, poor squad management! Some ridiculous suggestions on here in my opinion. What next? Leave them out just in case they get injured.

Sir David Gray
03-05-2017, 10:32 PM
To be honest, it's a bit of a surprise that Lennon selected them to play in meaningless matches with this hanging over them.

In hindsight, both of them should have played their last game of the season against Aberdeen. Nothing we can do now though and if both of them are still with us next season we'll just have to cope without them.

marinello59
03-05-2017, 10:35 PM
Deary me, leave them out because this or that might happen, poor squad management! Some ridiculous suggestions on here in my opinion. What next? Leave them out just in case they get injured.

Crazy isn't it? Thankfully our manager doesn't have the fearty mentality and will play who he wants.

wookie70
03-05-2017, 11:09 PM
Surely the expectation is that we will have a considerably stronger squad next year able to cope with suspensions / injuries etc? We may but losing two players to suspension in a game that meant nothing to us means that even if we do have a stronger squad it has been weakened unnecessarily for the first game.

wookie70
03-05-2017, 11:12 PM
Crazy isn't it? Thankfully our manager doesn't have the fearty mentality and will play who he wants.

Right enough give me brave and shortsighted everyday. Presumably he didn't want to play Daz or SDG in the first game of the season because he won't be able to even if he wants to.

green day
04-05-2017, 05:26 AM
I'm struggling with the finger pointing on this thread.

Presumably even resting them v Ayr would only kick the problem with points accrued down the road - i.e. if they aren't suspended game 1, they might be suspended game 2, 3 etc v Celtic, Aberdeen or whoever???

Suspension is just part of the game.

Since90+2
04-05-2017, 05:51 AM

Presumably even resting them v Ayr would only kick the problem with points accrued down the road - i.e. if they aren't suspended game 1, they might be suspended game 2, 3 etc v Celtic, Aberdeen or whoever???

No, that's not the case.

JimBHibees
04-05-2017, 05:54 AM

No accrued bookings are wiped at the end of the season while actual suspensions get carried forward.

green day
04-05-2017, 05:58 AM
No accrued bookings are wiped at the end of the season while actual suspensions get carried forward.

Ah, ok.

In that case, I agree with the finger pointing!!!

Jag7
04-05-2017, 06:15 AM
If they are carrying over 6 bookings then to be fair, all bookings should be carried over from all teams otherwise this is discrimination. Stupid rule that doesn't apply to all therefore not fair.

JimBHibees
04-05-2017, 06:26 AM
If they are carrying over 6 bookings then to be fair, all bookings should be carried over from all teams otherwise this is discrimination. Stupid rule that doesn't apply to all therefore not fair.

They are not carrying forward bookings they are carrying forward the suspension. Suspensions for bookings are served 14 days after the last booking, given there isn't a game 14 days after this season it moves to the next season. As it happens personally think the ref knew exactly what he was doing however that would be paranoia. :greengrin

The Sundance Kid
07-05-2017, 02:36 PM
I think that Holt's booking yesterday takes him to 6 bookings and he'll also miss the first league game of next season for us should he still be here

Borderhibbie76
07-05-2017, 02:58 PM
I think that Holt's booking yesterday takes him to 6 bookings and he'll also miss the first league game of next season for us should he still be here
Doubtful he will be here tbh mate and if so I doubt he will be 1st choice

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk