PDA

View Full Version : Joe McLaughlin - why did we sign him?

Viva_Palmeiras
02-05-2017, 06:31 AM
Was down South at the time and from memory of here the lead up to relegation got toxic so I tools some time off. Why did he get signed? Slow as an oil tanker from memory...

Hiber-nation
02-05-2017, 06:41 AM
Was down South at the time and from memory of here the lead up to relegation got toxic so I tools some time off. Why did he get signed? Slow as an oil tanker from memory...

I think we signed him when Yogi got injured in 96-97, the season we played Airdire in the play-offs.

Onceinawhile
02-05-2017, 06:51 AM
Was it him and Chico that had an argument that lead to Chico getting booked and banned for five games?

keep the faith
02-05-2017, 07:04 AM
I didn't think he was actually that bad! He was very slow though.
He was Franco baresi compared to what followed (Michael Nelson!!)

Pretty Boy
02-05-2017, 07:41 AM
Was it him that had the 'fight' with Chic Charnley that led to Charnley getting booked and a ban that had been hanging over him for weeks?

Smartie
02-05-2017, 08:04 AM
He'd had a decent stint at Falkirk before joining us.

If hibs.net had been around in those days we'd have been clamouring to sign him.

Decent pedigree before joining Falkirk too, I seem to remember a panini sticker where he played for Chelsea.

He didn't play very well for us though. Slower than Michael Nelson.

tamig
02-05-2017, 08:40 AM

Think you're being a bit harsh. Big Joe was a top class defender who'd played at the highest level. He was coming to the end of his career when he signed for us but still put in a few decent performances. He was never the quickest but his reading of the game was first class.

ekhibee
02-05-2017, 09:56 AM
I was right behind the goals in the FF when that fight broke out. Okay, so McLaughlin had decent credentials but he was poor and slow for Hibs. I'm pretty sure he was in the same team as Rab Shannon and Jamie McQuilken who were also dreadful for us. Not sure, but Wilkins might have still been there as well.

Nakedmanoncrack
02-05-2017, 10:56 AM
Think you're being a bit harsh. Big Joe was a top class defender who'd played at the highest level. He was coming to the end of his career when he signed for us but still put in a few decent performances. He was never the quickest but his reading of the game was first class.

I would agree.

heretoday
02-05-2017, 02:39 PM
He spent six years with Chelsea, albeit during the worst period in their history when they got relegated twice. By the time he reached us he wasn't too mobile, but he has plenty of honours to his name.

Bishop Hibee
02-05-2017, 03:09 PM
Well past his best by the time he came to ER. He did have a great game in the cup at Pittodrie when we won on penalties.

Viva_Palmeiras
03-05-2017, 03:08 AM
He'd had a decent stint at Falkirk before joining us.

If hibs.net had been around in those days we'd have been clamouring to sign him.

Decent pedigree before joining Falkirk too, I seem to remember a panini sticker where he played for Chelsea.

He didn't play very well for us though. Slower than Michael Nelson.

whilst not perhaps hibs.net, it was what became Hibs.net. (Either Erin Web or something on Rivals.net). Many of the usual suspects were around then as they are now. Mibbie trolling wasn't in full swing but that relegation run in was toxic as I said.