PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Steven Whittaker

Pages : [1] 2

SteveHFC
01-05-2017, 09:24 PM
NEIL LENNON is trying to piece together a deal to lure Steven Whittaker back to Hibs.
SunSport can reveal the Scotland right-back is high on Lenny’s summer summer wish list as he plans for next season in the Premiership.

Whittaker, 32, started his career with the Hibees (https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/team/14943/hibernian/) before being sold to Rangers (https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/team/14923/rangers/) for £2million in 2007.

He switched to Norwich in 2012 when he controversially refused to stay at Ibrox and play Third Division football.

But after five years at Carrow Road, Whittaker’s contract runs out at the end of this season with a number of clubs now interested in snapping him up on a free transfer.
The defender seems certain to have offers to continue playing in the English Championship.

But SunSport understands Whittaker and his family are open to the idea of returning north to Scotland.
Edinburgh rivals Hearts (https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/team/14918/hearts/) are also believed to be monitoring his situation.

But Hibees boss Lennon is hopeful his board will be able to put together a contract offer which takes Whittaker back to the club TEN YEARS after he left.
Whittaker has 31 Scotland caps but he has drifted out of Gordon Strachan’s plans during this World Cup qualification campaign.
But Lennon reckons his big game experience would give his young squad a massive boost for next season.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/spo...o-easter-road/ (https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/945399/hibs-boss-neil-lennon-is-trying-to-piece-together-a-deal-to-lure-norwich-right-back-steven-whittaker-back-to-easter-road/)

:hyper

madhibee_again
01-05-2017, 09:32 PM
Wonder what that would mean for Sir David?

lucky
01-05-2017, 09:32 PM
Would be a decent signing but if he does it's end the of SDG

cabbageandribs1875
01-05-2017, 09:33 PM
NEIL LENNON is trying to piece together a deal to lure Steven Whittaker back to Hibs.
SunSport can reveal the Scotland right-back is high on Lenny’s summer summer wish list as he plans for next season in the Premiership.

Whittaker, 32, started his career with the Hibees (https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/team/14943/hibernian/) before being sold to Rangers (https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/team/14923/rangers/) for £2million in 2007.

He switched to Norwich in 2012 when he controversially refused to stay at Ibrox and play Third Division football.

But after five years at Carrow Road, Whittaker’s contract runs out at the end of this season with a number of clubs now interested in snapping him up on a free transfer.
The defender seems certain to have offers to continue playing in the English Championship.

But SunSport understands Whittaker and his family are open to the idea of returning north to Scotland.
Edinburgh rivals Hearts (https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/team/14918/hearts/) are also believed to be monitoring his situation.

But Hibees boss Lennon is hopeful his board will be able to put together a contract offer which takes Whittaker back to the club TEN YEARS after he left.
Whittaker has 31 Scotland caps but he has drifted out of Gordon Strachan’s plans during this World Cup qualification campaign.
But Lennon reckons his big game experience would give his young squad a massive boost for next season.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/spo...o-easter-road/ (https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/945399/hibs-boss-neil-lennon-is-trying-to-piece-together-a-deal-to-lure-norwich-right-back-steven-whittaker-back-to-easter-road/)

shockerooni :eek:

1van Sprou7e
01-05-2017, 09:34 PM

Well Whittaker can play on both sides so he can cover/rotate with Gray and Stevenson

Would obviously be a good signing but may make it difficult to find a proper first 11 which can sometimes be a bad thing

Andy74
01-05-2017, 09:35 PM

Whittaker could pretty much play any position on the pitch.

Bostonhibby
01-05-2017, 09:36 PM
Would be a good signing for us, so here's hoping it can be pulled off.

Is anyone else thinking that if we said Ebola had been detected at ER the maroon balloons would issue a statement saying they got in there first?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
01-05-2017, 09:38 PM
Well Whittaker can play on both sides so he can cover/rotate with Gray and Stevenson

Would obviously be a good signing but may make it difficult to find a proper first 11 which can sometimes be a bad thing

I don't think Whittaker would be covering for either of them as he's a better player than both.

madhibee_again
01-05-2017, 09:39 PM
Whittaker could pretty much play any position on the pitch.

It did cross my mind he could be being brought in to play RM.

California-Hibs
01-05-2017, 09:39 PM
Would be a superb signing!

California-Hibs
01-05-2017, 09:40 PM
I don't think Whittaker would be covering for either of them as he's a better player than both.

This, he'd be straight in as one of the first on the team sheet.

Nicho87
01-05-2017, 09:42 PM
Whittaker would be a good signing. Experience and cover for both full backs, I'm sure he wouldn't see himself as back up. Don't forget he also be deployed in a midfield role also.

Heisenberg
01-05-2017, 09:42 PM
Kenny Millar saying SDG's agent been doing his job by offering him around to other clubs....

Would add to the rumour of Hearts wanting him.

Vault Boy
01-05-2017, 09:43 PM
I would be happy to see Whittaker come home. Not sure he's still quite as good as some may think though. We have better defenders, it'll be about what he offers going forward (which can still be high quality).

Billychaotic182
01-05-2017, 09:43 PM
Think gray is off by the looks of things. His agent is trying to get him a move away from hibs

IanM
01-05-2017, 09:44 PM
SDG's agent has been doing his job - not guaranteed he'll be staying

1van Sprou7e
01-05-2017, 09:45 PM
Kenny Millar saying SDG's agent been doing his job by offering him around to other clubs....

Would add to the rumour of Hearts wanting him.

Fair enough if he wants to leave for first team football but not gonna lie I would be bloody devastated if he signed for them

SteveHFC
01-05-2017, 09:45 PM
Think gray is off by the looks of things. His agent is trying to get him a move away from hibs

Saturday might be the last time we'll see SDG in a hibs jersey. :boo hoo:

Andy74
01-05-2017, 09:47 PM
Fair enough if he wants to leave for first team football but not gonna lie I would be bloody devastated if he signed for them

He'd be doing himself out of legend status for the rest of his days! No chance.

Billychaotic182
01-05-2017, 09:48 PM

There is no way he'd sign for hearts after being such a hero for us..... Would he?

Heisenberg
01-05-2017, 09:49 PM

I would be devastated to lose him. He's not been brilliant this season but as you say he'd be chucking away something very special with Hibs if he left.

Lee Marvin
01-05-2017, 09:51 PM
There is no way he'd sign for hearts after being such a hero for us..... Would he?

Zero chance he signs for hearts.

It he leaves, it's because lennon doesn't want him. I reckon he will stsy though.

.Sean.
01-05-2017, 09:56 PM
Is there anything in the Gray to Hearts rumour? Would he seriously go there?

Obviously he had Hearts leanings before signing for Hibs but surely all that nonsense has been knocked out of him.

ancient hibee
01-05-2017, 09:57 PM
He will of course go to where he gets the best financial deal.

weecounty hibby
01-05-2017, 09:58 PM
He is a professional footballer if Hearts offer him a better deal then he will sign for them. We would all love to think otherwise but that's how modern football is. All about the cash. Hope he doesn't but wouldn't be surprised if he did.

Heisenberg

Obviously he had Hearts leanings before signing for Hibs but surely all that nonsense has been knocked out of him.

Just saw Kenny Millar saying there's no interest for him from Hearts.

1van Sprou7e

If they offer him some crazy wage then I can see it, more likely to go down south though surely

Sir David Gray
01-05-2017, 09:59 PM

A little part of me would die inside if David Gray signs for them.

I would also need a new username.

The Sundance Kid
01-05-2017, 10:00 PM

Kenny Millar tweeted that there wasn't truth in the rumours of Hearts interest in Gray, thankfully

Michael
01-05-2017, 10:01 PM
Would be a good signing, but I'd rather have Gray if it's between the two of them.

Andy74
01-05-2017, 10:06 PM
He will of course go to where he gets the best financial deal.

I think given his status Hearts would be the exception to that. He knows his place here for the rest of his life and what comes with that. Signing for Hearts puts that at a fair bit of risk.

neil7908
01-05-2017, 10:06 PM
As long as Whittaker hasn't lost his pace and ability to get up and down the park he'd be a great signing.

Would be gutted to lose SDG but sometimes in football you have to be ruthless. If we as a club have a better option then we need to do what's best for us.

Similarly, if SDG sees his career elsewhere, for whatever reason then he'll do what's best for him.

So long as he doesn't end up at Hearts...

ancient hibee
01-05-2017, 10:13 PM
I think given his status Hearts would be the exception to that. He knows his place here for the rest of his life and what comes with that. Signing for Hearts puts that at a fair bit of risk.
People need to grow up.Do you think Gordon Smith going to Hearts diminishes him in anyone's eyes as our greatest ever player?

Lancs Harp
01-05-2017, 10:13 PM
Would be a good signing, but I'd rather have Gray if it's between the two of them.

I agree.

Whittaker is decent but Im not sure offers any more than David Gray, our captain and captain reliable, he's 28 as oppose to 32 he's still got alot to give and has more games in recent seasons under his belt.

Signing Whittaker wouldnt spell the end of SDG at Hibs for me and given the choice of either or, Gray for me.

Jonnyboy
01-05-2017, 10:14 PM

When I saw Jordon Forster wearing the armband on Saturday and SDG was playing, I felt the writing was on the wall for our Scottish Cup winning Captain

Heisenberg
01-05-2017, 10:16 PM
I saw it mentioned that Hibs don't see Gray as an automatic first pick next season. I wouldn't be surprised by that, I feel he's been miles off his best for a lot of this season.

jodjam
01-05-2017, 10:20 PM
I like how that rag of a newspaper said he controversially left the third division club

heretoday
01-05-2017, 10:24 PM
He could be the big knock 'em down guy in midfield.

scoopyboy
01-05-2017, 10:26 PM
David Gray has been a great signing for Hibs and is a legend because of 21/05/2016.

A better player than Steven Whittaker though, never in time.

PS, I called this weeks ago when stating I expected Whittaker would resign along with other ex players before their careers were finished.:wink:

3pm
01-05-2017, 10:26 PM
When I saw Jordon Forster wearing the armband on Saturday and SDG was playing, I felt the writing was on the wall for our Scottish Cup winning Captain

I know Jordon is under contract but wondered if he's off!

1875STEVE
01-05-2017, 10:31 PM
David Gray has been a great signing for Hibs and is a legend because of 21/05/2016.

PS, I called this weeks ago when stating I expected Whittaker would resign along with other ex players before their careers were finished.:wink:

Spill! :aok::flag:

Leith's finest
01-05-2017, 10:36 PM
Sdg and sjm ofski

J-C
01-05-2017, 10:41 PM
Grey's new deal may not be as good as he expected and the reason he might be away, he's been very average this year and we'll need players at the top of their games for next season.

lord bunberry
01-05-2017, 10:43 PM
What happened to us signing young hungry players who are desperate to make their mark in the game. I worry that if this is our new approach then we're looking at short term success. I hope Lennon doesn't go down this road tbh.

scoopyboy
01-05-2017, 10:45 PM
What happened to us signing young hungry players who are desperate to make their mark in the game. I worry that if this is our new approach then we're looking at short term success. I hope Lennon doesn't go down this road tbh.

Just because you sign an experienced professional or two doesn't mean you're going to stop bringing in good young talent to the club, eg Stevie Mallon.

scoopyboy
01-05-2017, 10:49 PM
Spill! :aok::flag:

Never put a time limit on it but I said that at least two out of Whittaker, Brown, Griffiths, Fletcher and Miller would play for the club again.

That's the beauty of being a good club who look after players.

My_Wife_Camille
What happened to us signing young hungry players who are desperate to make their mark in the game. I worry that if this is our new approach then we're looking at short term success. I hope Lennon doesn't go down this road tbh.Don't worry, we are also looking for guy up and coming talent too...

lord bunberry
Just because you sign an experienced professional or two doesn't mean you're going to stop bringing in good young talent to the club, eg Stevie Mallon.
Yes I agree with that. As long as there's a balance I'll be happy. I just worry about Lennon being more concerned about his future than ours.

Sir David Gray
01-05-2017, 10:57 PM
Never put a time limit on it but I said that at least two out of Whittaker, Brown, Griffiths, Fletcher and Miller would play for the club again.

That's the beauty of being a good club who look after players.

Griffiths and Brown would be decent for next season. :greengrin

scoopyboy
01-05-2017, 11:02 PM
Yes I agree with that. As long as there's a balance I'll be happy. I just worry about Lennon being more concerned about his future than ours.

There has to be a balance, good pros will help the youngsters no end, only last week Jason Cummings was giving credit to Grant Holt.

Lennon will realise the best way to guarantee his future is by doing well at Hibs, whether it be with us or helps to get him a move. Win / win for me.

SunshineOnLeith
01-05-2017, 11:03 PM
I like how that rag of a newspaper said he controversially left the third division club

That was my favourite bit, too.

Choosing to play in the Premiership and earn a shedload over playing in the Scottish Third Division.

Controversial.

scoopyboy
01-05-2017, 11:03 PM

Indeed, may have to wait that wee bit longer however. :greengrin

snooky
01-05-2017, 11:28 PM

I'm at a loss as to what you mean by the last phrase, scoopyboy. Please explain and excuse my yamitis.

mghibs
01-05-2017, 11:33 PM
Forster was saying in the press last week how proud he was getting to wear the arm band for 15 odd minutes against Raith, wonder if him getting it on Saturday was related to that? Season over, but letting get to lead the team out etc? Hope so as would be gutted to see SDG leave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreenLake
02-05-2017, 12:00 AM
Kenny Millar tweeted that there wasn't truth in the rumours of Hearts interest in Gray, thankfully

He doesn't seem like the kind of guy to take a step backwards - I doubt there is any interest from him to sign for them.

ekhibee
02-05-2017, 12:11 AM
Whittaker and Gray are different types of player. The Whittaker I remember was dynamic going forward, a good passer, right sided but could play centre mid when required. I don't ever remember him playing down the left for Hibs, but maybe he did. I wasn't a fan of his defending at all, he left big gaps when he went forward as a right back and got caught out of position quite a few times, making Malkowski look an even worse goalkeeper than he already was. That said, Whittaker was a quality player, and part of a Hibs team that, going forward, were really great to watch. Whether he still retains the skill he had in his younger days remains to be seen.

Gray, when he's fit and at the top of his game, IMO is a better defender, he doesn't have the natural ability that Whittaker had, but he's bloody effective when he sprints down the right side and gets a cross into the box. He chips in with a goal or two as well, something Whittaker didn't do at all (he only scored 1 goal that I can remember). I do feel that his role is slightly different when Boyle plays, as Boyle seems to be more right sided and centre, and with his pace there's less need for Gray to play the wing back role, but he's 4 years younger than Whittaker and of the two, he'd be the one I'd be more comfortable with, but if he was to move on at the end of the day he was a legend for us and he'd have my best wishes.

MWHIBBIES
02-05-2017, 12:49 AM
Whittaker and Gray are different types of player. The Whittaker I remember was dynamic going forward, a good passer, right sided but could play centre mid when required. I don't ever remember him playing down the left for Hibs, but maybe he did. I wasn't a fan of his defending at all, he left big gaps when he went forward as a right back and got caught out of position quite a few times, making Malkowski look an even worse goalkeeper than he already was. That said, Whittaker was a quality player, and part of a Hibs team that, going forward, were really great to watch. Whether he still retains the skill he had in his younger days remains to be seen.

Gray, when he's fit and at the top of his game, IMO is a better defender, he doesn't have the natural ability that Whittaker had, but he's bloody effective when he sprints down the right side and gets a cross into the box. He chips in with a goal or two as well, something Whittaker didn't do at all (he only scored 1 goal that I can remember). I do feel that his role is slightly different when Boyle plays, as Boyle seems to be more right sided and centre, and with his pace there's less need for Gray to play the wing back role, but he's 4 years younger than Whittaker and of the two, he'd be the one I'd be more comfortable with, but if he was to move on at the end of the day he was a legend for us and he'd have my best wishes.

Whittaker scored 11 goals in 1 season for Rangers, Gray has 8 in his career.

connerg
02-05-2017, 12:57 AM
Whittaker(32) left Hibs for Rangers (as they were called then) Sir David Gray(28) is the captain of our club who won the Scottish Cup.

Haymaker
02-05-2017, 12:58 AM

CMurdoch
02-05-2017, 01:44 AM
Steven Whittaker will be 33 in 6 weeks time.
He would be worth the risk for a 1 year contract but would want at least a 2 year deal on good money.
We might quickly find out he is past it but have to keep paying him for 2 seasons.
We need to stop living in the past.

HoboHarry
02-05-2017, 01:58 AM
Steven Whittaker will be 33 in 6 weeks time.
He would be worth the risk for a 1 year contract but would want at least a 2 year deal on good money.
We might quickly find out he is past it but have to keep paying him for 2 seasons.
We need to stop living in the past.
Indeed. Can't imagine really big clubs like Manchester United signing 35 year olds huh?

connerg
02-05-2017, 02:10 AM
Indeed. Can't imagine really big clubs like Manchester United signing 35 year olds huh?

No, really really big clubs like Hibs sign 36 year olds like Grant Holt.

Diclonius
02-05-2017, 06:22 AM
Just to think - if Gray hadn't signed, we'd be signing Whittaker to see if he'd be our first decent right back since.. Whittaker.

Scouse Hibee
02-05-2017, 06:34 AM
A soon to be 33 year old who will demand a high wage, not so sure myself but if Lennon thinks he can do a job for us then fair enough.

JimBHibees
02-05-2017, 06:37 AM

Seems a strange thing to do irrespective if he has agreed a deal or not making that decision seems a little petty.

calumhibee1
02-05-2017, 06:39 AM
Would be happy with this. Whittaker is a cracking athlete and seems to have his head screwed on so I'm sure he's looked after himself. He may have lost half a yard of pace, but I'm sure he'd still be more than capable at this level.

Brightside
02-05-2017, 06:49 AM
I've not read the whole thread. But I got a txt this morning that Gray was being offered around the Prem team by his agent since Wednesday last week.

Albanian Hibs
02-05-2017, 06:55 AM
A little part of me would die inside if David Gray signs for them.

I would also need a new username.

Me too. And my guinea pigs names would have to be changed 😂

scoopyboy
02-05-2017, 06:57 AM
I've not read the whole thread. But I got a txt this morning that Gray was being offered around the Prem team by his agent since Wednesday last week.

Not a huge surprise to be honest, simply an agent doing his job for his player.

My take would be the offer that Hibs have made isn't what they were looking for.

Get a better offer from another club and then go back to Hibs and say better this or I sign elsewhere.

Hibs either stump up or player leaves.

If no better offer then he signs for Hibs again.

Hibs have seemingly made a lot of offers to players who are out of contract, my hope is they have put a time limit on these as the uncertainty could lead to delays in going for targets.

scoopyboy
02-05-2017, 07:22 AM
I'm at a loss as to what you mean by the last phrase, scoopyboy. Please explain and excuse my yamitis.

Means never has been, never will be. :greengrin

David Gray has done Hibs a great turn so far and I hope he stays but can't see how he is a better player than Steven Whittaker.

3pm
02-05-2017, 07:26 AM
Whittaker the wing back.

Heisenberg
02-05-2017, 07:26 AM

My take would be the offer that Hibs have made isn't what they were looking for.

Get a better offer from another club and then go back to Hibs and say better this or I sign elsewhere.

Hibs have seemingly made a lot of offers to players who are out of contract, my hope is they have put a time limit on these as the uncertainty could lead to delays in going for targets.

I don't see anyone in the Premiership offering him a better financial deal than he'll get at Hibs. The offer of guaranteed first team football could be what he's after. A move to League one in England could be a shout, probably more money along with starting games.

scoopyboy
02-05-2017, 07:36 AM
I don't see anyone in the Premiership offering him a better financial deal than he'll get at Hibs. The offer of guaranteed first team football could be what he's after. A move to League one in England could be a shout, probably more money along with starting games.

My understanding is when he came back to Hibs that was him back to Scotland for good.

Family wanted back to Scotland and I don't think he will go back south.

If he doesn't go back to England them I'm not sure many Scottish teams will better the terms offered.

Time will tell.

keep the faith
02-05-2017, 07:53 AM
My understanding is when he came back to Hibs that was him back to Scotland for good.

Family wanted back to Scotland and I don't think he will go back south.

If he doesn't go back to England them I'm not sure many Scottish teams will better the terms offered.

Time will tell.

I certainly hope that other scottish teams are not offering more than we are giving to our cup winning captain.

Up The Bracket
02-05-2017, 07:55 AM
If we were signing a RB who has plenty recent Premier League and Championship experience down south that hadn't played for Hibs then I doubt anyone would be as unenthusiastic, simply because he played for us before and he played for Rangers.

Darren McGregor, our player of the season this year is 32 in August, should we offload him aswell? Need to stop living in the past.

scoopyboy
02-05-2017, 07:59 AM
I certainly hope that other scottish teams are not offering more than we are giving to our cup winning captain.

I have no idea of the terms offered to David Gray but length of contract may also come into the equation.

For example what is the better deal, one year at £1500 a week or a two year deal at £1200 a week?

snooky
02-05-2017, 08:04 AM

David Gray has done Hibs a great turn so far and I hope he stays but can't see how he is a better player than Steven Whittaker.

Ta :aok:.
Personally, although Steven has done really well for himself and is a model pro, I always thought he was defensively suspect - but that's just my opinion.
Others who know this game much better than me clearly see something more than I do, so respect to him.

Baldy Foghorn
02-05-2017, 08:14 AM

Who is his agent?

O'Rourke3
02-05-2017, 08:15 AM

I'd agree SW is a more complete player. I'd reckon SDG is the better defender. That said he may have improved that aspect since he left us.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Onceinawhile
02-05-2017, 08:17 AM
This must be either all but done or a warning to sdg otherwise I can't see the sun running with it.

.Sean.
02-05-2017, 08:50 AM
Would Gray not sign for the same terms? He's as big a club legend as we've got and I pray the club haven't oferered the man some embarrassing deal on less than what he currently earns.

Scottish Cup winning skipper, scorer of the the winning goal and and club legend. Stop fannying about and get him signed up.

GreenNWhiteArmy
02-05-2017, 08:59 AM
Would hope there's room in the squad for both.

I'd like to see us going 3 at the back next season and having a choice of Mcgregor, Hanlon, Ambrose, SDG and potentially Mclean or a youngster as 5th choice.

Whittaker could play right wing back in that scenario.

Either way i'll trust Lennon to make the right decisions for the squad, but would be gutted if SDG leaves. Would rather a decision was made between now and Saturday though so he could get the send off he deserves

Jag7
02-05-2017, 09:28 AM
Rumour .. the ****bos are interested in him too ..

scoopyboy
02-05-2017, 09:31 AM
Would hope there's room in the squad for both.

I'd like to see us going 3 at the back next season and having a choice of Mcgregor, Hanlon, Ambrose, SDG and potentially Mclean or a youngster as 5th choice.

Whittaker could play right wing back in that scenario.

Either way i'll trust Lennon to make the right decisions for the squad, but would be gutted if SDG leaves. Would rather a decision was made between now and Saturday though so he could get the send off he deserves

Me too.

I think Ryan Porteous will step up to first team squad as opposed to Brian McLean

ekhibee
02-05-2017, 09:35 AM
Whittaker scored 11 goals in 1 season for Rangers, Gray has 8 in his career.
I was talking about when Whittaker was at Hibs.

Onceinawhile
02-05-2017, 09:37 AM
Rumour .. the ****bos are interested in him too ..

Of course they are. We're interested in him!

Genuinely don't think the sun would leak this if it wasn't 99% done.

J-C
02-05-2017, 09:46 AM
Would Gray not sign for the same terms? He's as big a club legend as we've got and I pray the club haven't oferered the man some embarrassing deal on less than what he currently earns.

Scottish Cup winning skipper, scorer of the the winning goal and and club legend. Stop fannying about and get him signed up.

I would expect the better players would want a better deal than they're on right now, we're going to the SPL and I'd have thought 20% increase would be norm upon promotion. Obviously they may already be on SPL wages playing in the championship, so an increase is unlikely, because we don't know any figures it's all speculation.

Ozyhibby
02-05-2017, 10:13 AM
I would expect the better players would want a better deal than they're on right now, we're going to the SPL and I'd have thought 20% increase would be norm upon promotion. Obviously they may already be on SPL wages playing in the championship, so an increase is unlikely, because we don't know any figures it's all speculation.

No way any of them are being offered 20% better wages IMO. There is no queue of clubs waiting to sign any of our out of contract players. They are all decent players and I hope we keep the majority but none of them are likely to get better offers than we are giving them. I would be surprised if any of them were being offered improved terms and I think a few of them (older ones like Fontaine) will be looking at reduced terms.

JDHibs
02-05-2017, 10:15 AM
Whittaker can play RB, LB, RM, LM, RWB & LWB.

Signing him does not mean the end of Gray nor Stevenson. Although Whittaker is better than both. Very good pro, great role model and very versatile. Be stupid not to try and sign him.

Has always spoken fondly of Hibs, family still lives in Midlothian and im sure he would love to come back if the finances are in order.

CMurdoch
02-05-2017, 10:21 AM

A 35 year old who is now broken.
Man Utd are mega rich so spending money on wages on a player who breaks is no big deal, they will just replace him.
Hibs are relatively poor so need to make every penny work for them.

J-C
02-05-2017, 10:29 AM
No way any of them are being offered 20% better wages IMO. There is no queue of clubs waiting to sign any of our out of contract players. They are all decent players and I hope we keep the majority but none of them are likely to get better offers than we are giving them. I would be surprised if any of them were being offered improved terms and I think a few of them (older ones like Fontaine) will be looking at reduced terms.

As I said we don't know details of our players wages, so it's all speculation. Certain players may have a promotion clause in the contract that means their wage increases but seeing as we were already paying SPL wages to the better players, this won't be the case, it might just be down to squad status or length of contract.

Unseen work
02-05-2017, 11:34 AM
People saying whittikar can play on the wing are thinking of the old whittikar too much imo.

he will come in as a solid right back who likes to get forward, could play as part of a 3, right back or right wing back.

He will come in as a defender and he will play there, hes a tank now too and would be an improvement on David Gray.

Lago
02-05-2017, 11:34 AM
He is a professional footballer if Hearts offer him a better deal then he will sign for them. We would all love to think otherwise but that's how modern football is. All about the cash. Hope he doesn't but wouldn't be surprised if he did.
Correct

Springbank
02-05-2017, 11:37 AM
People saying whittikar can play on the wing are thinking of the old whittikar too much imo.

he will come in as a solid right back who likes to get forward, could play as part of a 3, right back or right wing back.

He will come in as a defender and he will play there, hes a tank now too and would be an improvement on David Gray.

The way Scotland have been playing at times, Whittaker and SDG will be vying for the Scotland right back spot
Both are way better than Callum Paterson

andrew70
02-05-2017, 11:41 AM
The way Scotland have been playing at times, Whittaker and SDG will be vying for the Scotland right back spot
Both are way better than Callum Paterson

Correct, although I read Cathro saying today that Paterson is irreplaceable. You can only take that as saying they've no money so they'll be getting an even poorer player in.

ian cruise
02-05-2017, 11:51 AM
I'd have Whittaker on right mid with SDG behind him at right back. Allows excellent opportunities to overlap with SW dropping in to defence to cover and time Gray goes forward and vice versa.

Vault Boy
02-05-2017, 12:08 PM
David Gray is a pretty significantly better defender than Whittaker IMO. I wouldn't be surprised to see him played further forward if we sign him. Whitts might be better at this level, but having seen him play 20s games for Norwich and occasionally in the first team, he really does makes some unbelievable errors at the back.

Could be circumstantial mind, might be able to find form with us and I hope he does.

penihibs
02-05-2017, 12:10 PM
I'd have Whittaker on right mid with SDG behind him at right back. Allows excellent opportunities to overlap with SW dropping in to defence to cover and time Gray goes forward and vice versa.
Sounds bang on to me.
Always thought Whittaker better going forward than defending.

JDHibs
02-05-2017, 12:17 PM
David Gray is a pretty significantly better defender than Whittaker IMO. I wouldn't be surprised to see him played further forward if we sign him. Whitts might be better at this level, but having seen him play 20s games for Norwich and occasionally in the first team, he really does makes some unbelievable errors at the back.

Could be circumstantial mind, might be able to find form with us and I hope he does.

Thats a ridiculous statement to make.

David Gray makes plenty of mistakes in this league, never mind a higher level. Whittaker has 30caps for his country, played at the highest level down south and has been in a european final.

Evergreen86
02-05-2017, 12:22 PM

Maybe reading it wrong but perhaps its Forster that's been told to find a new club.... I believe he has a year remaining but maybe there is something in letting him be capt for the day? Cant understand why you would have the CC on the pitch but not have the armband with two games left of the season?

Vault Boy
02-05-2017, 12:26 PM
Thats a ridiculous statement to make.

David Gray makes plenty of mistakes in this league, never mind a higher level. Whittaker has 30caps for his country, played at the highest level down south and has been in a european final.

I'm well aware of the levels Whittaker has deservedly reached in his career, it doesn't change my view. On the ball, Whittaker is on a different planet to Gray, but going on what I've seen from both of them recently, Gray is better at the back.

The Norwich supporters I know wouldn't think it's ridiculous either. As I said above, Whittaker could well blossom playing with us at a lower level, but that doesn't change how he's played defensively for Norwich the last couple of seasons, at both senior level and bellow.

Gray is a defender first and an attacker second, Whittaker is the reverse of that.

Bad Martini
02-05-2017, 12:35 PM
I'm well aware of the levels Whittaker has deservedly reached in his career, it doesn't change my view. On the ball, Whittaker is on a different planet to Gray, but going on what I've seen from both of them recently, Gray is better at the back.

The Norwich supporters I know wouldn't think it's ridiculous either. As I said above, Whittaker could well blossom playing with us at a lower level, but that doesn't change how he's played defensively for Norwich the last couple of seasons, at both senior level and bellow.

Gray is a defender first and an attacker second, Whittaker is the reverse of that.

Agreed in the main.

Whittaker made plenty mistakes at the back last time he was at ER.

Gray makes mistakes too but some strange dewy eyed, re-writing of history going on here for SW.

Decent player going forward mind and can find the net, possibly more so at this level now than down south. We'll see.

lucky
02-05-2017, 12:35 PM

Can't agree that SDG is a better defender than SW. DG has spent his career in the lower leagues of England and Scotland where SW has played at the highest level. SW would be a significant improvement on DG.

Sammy7nil
02-05-2017, 12:36 PM

Why ? So we should pay way over what NL thinks he is worth just because someone else will ?

Bad Martini
02-05-2017, 12:37 PM
A soon to be 33 year old who will demand a high wage, not so sure myself but if Lennon thinks he can do a job for us then fair enough.

Whilst I'd never dismiss anyone on the grounds of age (The King was 39 when he stopped though he is the exception to the rule and indeed, close to Godliness as it comes) .... that said, I wouldn't be too keen to pay large wages for a 33 year old either. Unless someone has a DeLorean and convince the King at 33 to play at ER :greengrin

JimBHibees
02-05-2017, 12:40 PM
Can't agree that SDG is a better defender than SW. DG has spent his career in the lower leagues of England and Scotland where SW has played at the highest level. SW would be a significant improvement on DG.

Whittakers strength is going forward while David is being a solid defender. You have got to take the age into it also DG is 28 SW is about to turn 33.

Vault Boy
02-05-2017, 12:41 PM

I hope you're right of course. Again my point would be if Whittaker wasn't as good at going forward as he is, I'm not sure he would have made it near that level on his defensive merits alone. I think he could be a splendid addition as a ball player, it's just having seen him at the back of recent, I think we have better defensive players. Time will tell. He's certainly a better player than the rest of our defenders.

LancsHibs
02-05-2017, 12:48 PM
Love David Gray he will always be a Hibs hero but we need to move on and we need to employ better players if we are going to progress next season. IMO Steven Whittakeris a better player and if we can get him and DG wants to move on then that's football I'm afraid. I would replace any Hibs player if we could get better, that's the business we are in.

Elephant Stone
02-05-2017, 12:55 PM
Whether or not replacing Gray with Whittaker would work out for the best is really tough to call but one thing is 100% certain, we'd be a lot softer down that side. In terms of aggression and power Gray couldn't really offer much more, such a strong tackler and I reckon that can be intimidating and off-puting for opposition players.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
02-05-2017, 01:04 PM
Norwich releasing him and 5 other players at end of the season, not getting contracta extensions. This is all falling into place...

HoboHarry
02-05-2017, 01:07 PM
So NL has offered David Gray a contract and is also trying to get Steven Whittaker (apparently), but this thread is almost all about replacing Gray? I'm so glad that so many netters can read NL's mind......

Hibbyradge
02-05-2017, 01:13 PM

You better email Neil Lennon quickly. If the rumours are right, it seems he's not aware of all that and he could be about to make a huge mistake. :wink:

Vault Boy
02-05-2017, 01:19 PM
You better email Neil Lennon quickly. If the rumours are right, it seems he's not aware of all that and he could be about to make a huge mistake. :wink:

There's a reason I was offered the chief scout role. :greengrin

In all seriousness I have no doubt about our staff of course, I still think he could be a very good signing. I'm just not entirely sure he would walk into the right back role and I just want to provide a slightly different perspective after seeing a fair bit of him the last few years.

keep the faith
02-05-2017, 01:23 PM
Why ? So we should pay way over what NL thinks he is worth just because someone else will ?

No. Because he is a fine defender who gives everything for our club and I actually think we need a spine of these players rather than fill the team with older "name players" a la commons.
David Gray has led our club through difficult times superbly and deserves a decent contract.

Andy74
02-05-2017, 01:30 PM
No. Because he is a fine defender who gives everything for our club and I actually think we need a spine of these players rather than fill the team with older "name players" a la commons.
David Gray has led our club through difficult times superbly and deserves a decent contract.

The same Commons that gave us the crucial lead in the league that we went on to win?

keep the faith
02-05-2017, 01:42 PM
The same one. Did a good job for a few weeks but wouldn't be happy seeing a large chunk of our budget going on him signing permanently.

snooky
02-05-2017, 01:53 PM

As he did when he was with us. He turns one way when an opponent approaches him, leaving himself exposed to 'the other way' which the forward usually exploits.
Good going forward - poor defender IMO.

Ray_
02-05-2017, 02:15 PM

He obviously thought Brian Graham would score a fair few goals in this league :na na:

For what its worth, in a flat back four I would say SDG is your man & playing with wing backs, then no question Whit's is the guy for us. As has been suggested by plenty on here regarding each players strength.

silverhibee
02-05-2017, 02:22 PM

The out of contract players have now had a good bit of time to consider the offers they have had from the club, think the club will be expecting answers pretty shortly, with Lennon making it public about Whittaker it might be that some have already gave the club a answer.

BlackSheep
02-05-2017, 02:30 PM
I sometimes wonder how many on here have actually attended Hibs games this year?

I don't think Gray has had a particularly good season and i find myself and others around me at games repeatedly frustrated by Gray.

IMHO if we can sign a stronger RB for next year then we should be doing so, none of this nostalgia loyalty that seems to floating about!

So he scored the winning goal in the Scottish Cup final, what has he done this year that means he deserves to be first choice RB?

I read on another thread that we shouldn't be offering new contract to players who had one great game last year (I think it was in reference to Fyvie), so why should David Gray be any different.

As captain I have hardly seen him rally the troops when we have been losing or drawing this year and thats what i would expect from a captain (on and off the pitch).

I have seen him more often hide away when he is playing poorly.

silverhibee
02-05-2017, 02:39 PM
Me too.

I think Ryan Porteous will step up to first team squad as opposed to Brian McLean

Hibs should try and get Porteous back out on loan in the league we have just left, don't think he is quite ready for the 1st team squad yet Scoops, see how he does in the Championship for the 1st half of the season and if he copes with that then bring him in to the squad in January.

GreenNWhiteArmy
02-05-2017, 02:39 PM
I sometimes wonder how many on here have actually attended Hibs games this year?

I don't think Gray has had a particularly good season and i find myself and others around me at games repeatedly frustrated by Gray.

IMHO if we can sign a stronger RB for next year then we should be doing so, none of this nostalgia loyalty that seems to floating about!

So he scored the winning goal in the Scottish Cup final, what has he done this year that means he deserves to be first choice RB?

I read on another thread that we shouldn't be offering new contract to players who had one great game last year (I think it was in reference to Fyvie), so why should David Gray be any different.

As captain I have hardly seen him rally the troops when we have been losing or drawing this year and thats what i would expect from a captain (on and off the pitch).

Up until around February, we'd conceded something like 10 goals this season.....

This year, defending hasn't been an issue so not sure where many faults can be found in our performances from that perspective

Unseen work
02-05-2017, 02:56 PM
Look I love David Gray as much as anyone and in his first season he head brilliant.

But it I feel in every season he is slowly getting as consistent and more prone to injuries and mistakes

Since 2012 whittikar has been playing and training consistent with Norwich in the prem and champ as well as Scotland.

with all due respect to Gray SW is better

although I would prefer Cammy Kerr from Dundee

J-C
02-05-2017, 03:06 PM

This :agree:

Take away that goal and Gray is just a decent full back, he should not be our captain, McGregor is the man for me. He has been here 3 years, it's not like he's like Stevenson or Hanlon who have given many years to the club, he's a nice humble bloke to talk to but if there is a chance to strengthen a position, we must look at it.
Whittaker has been playing at a higher level than Hibs for a few years now and has multiple international caps, yes he's 32 but a good solid pro, jeez everyone has been going on about how good Holt was last week and he's 35 now and most folk are wanting him to sign for another year.

JimBHibees
02-05-2017, 03:08 PM

Thats clearly nonsense. He hasnt had his best season however has still been a decent performer in a defence which has let in very few goals. He commonly leads by example and as for hiding away that is a crock. Not to say we shouldnt be looking for better if we are able to do so and no idea how close or not he would be to accepting an offer from Hibs maybe he already is able to get better elsewhere and he will be leaving. Though in Whittaker we are getting a totally different player.

cmcd
02-05-2017, 03:09 PM

To say that DG hides is nonsense. He may not be the best but he always gives his all

BlackSheep
02-05-2017, 03:19 PM
Like i stated at the start of my first post here.... I wonder how many actually watch the games.

Gray has had a reasonable season in defence, but his passing has been quite poor IMO and when he gets in to the final third he does the same thing time after time, either going to the byline and failing to get a decent cross in or trying a cross from the edge of the box and hitting the first defender.

On top of this I notice a hell of a lot when the play is going against us he never makes an angle for the CBs to play the ball to him or for the CMs to play anything to him, this is what i mean by hiding.

Don't get me wrong, when he is playing well he has great games but I just haven't seen many this year.

I would be interested to review every goal we have conceded this year to see how they were scored, I m not saying that many were fault of his but I am saying that the defence as a whole has had a great season, won us the league IMO, but I think Gray benefits form being part of the strong defence and not 'leading' by example.

hibs#1
02-05-2017, 03:31 PM
I'll take both.going to need a lot more depth to squad for the season coming up more and bigger league games plus an early start with the league cup.

Also neither gray nor whittaker are perfect because if they were they would be nowhere near easter road.

scoopyboy
02-05-2017, 03:38 PM
Hibs should try and get Porteous back out on loan in the league we have just left, don't think he is quite ready for the 1st team squad yet Scoops, see how he does in the Championship for the 1st half of the season and if he copes with that then bring him in to the squad in January.

Fair enough Silv, I haven't seen him since August and am happy to go with your judgement as you've seen him playing recently.

I feel that if we are spending time and money on a youth system we have to give the better ones a chance at some point or there is no point in having the set up.

Most people I have spoken to reckon he is going to be special.

southern hibby
02-05-2017, 03:38 PM
Here goes my 10pence on this.

I think ( if we are interested in SW ) that he will bring different options to the playing field. How much help will he bring to the development of Hanlon and to Darren. I personally think SDG's best 2 games in our strip was the final and Bronby away. Totally outstanding both games captain's material 100%. However certain games he seems to be lacking that determination will and desire he had in those 2 games.

So my question would be. Does Lennon see a better option in SW than Sir David?

GGTTH

superfurryhibby
02-05-2017, 05:08 PM
Here goes my 10pence on this.

I think ( if we are interested in SW ) that he will bring different options to the playing field. How much help will he bring to the development of Hanlon and to Darren. I personally think SDG's best 2 games in our strip was the final and Bronby away. Totally outstanding both games captain's material 100%. However certain games he seems to be lacking that determination will and desire he had in those 2 games.

So my question would be. Does Lennon see a better option in SW than Sir David?

GGTTH

Hanlon at 27 and 300 + games and McGregor at 31 are unlikely to be doing too much developing by playing with a guy with a similar number of games under his belt at this stage of their careers.

Lancs Harp
02-05-2017, 05:12 PM
Steven Whittaker is a decent player but lets not too carried away. He''s not been that regular in the Norwich team in his time there, he's played 80 league games in 5 seasons and played 17 league and cup games this season, hes 32 and obviously doesnt fit into any Norwich plan going forward. At this point in his career I honestly dont think he offers more than David Gray (granted they are obviously different types of fullback/wingback).

Navids Numpties
02-05-2017, 05:52 PM
Anyone seen Whittaker play recently?

superfurryhibby
02-05-2017, 05:59 PM
Like i stated at the start of my first post here.... I wonder how many actually watch the games.

Gray has had a reasonable season in defence, but his passing has been quite poor IMO and when he gets in to the final third he does the same thing time after time, either going to the byline and failing to get a decent cross in or trying a cross from the edge of the box and hitting the first defender.

On top of this I notice a hell of a lot when the play is going against us he never makes an angle for the CBs to play the ball to him or for the CMs to play anything to him, this is what i mean by hiding.

Don't get me wrong, when he is playing well he has great games but I just haven't seen many this year.

I would be interested to review every goal we have conceded this year to see how they were scored, I m not saying that many were fault of his but I am saying that the defence as a whole has had a great season, won us the league IMO, but I think Gray benefits form being part of the strong defence and not 'leading' by example.

How ironic. Against Aberdeen in the semi, Gray played and tacked like a man posessed. He won every 50-50 challenge and a fair few when he wasn't favourite to get to the ball. Fair enough to say that he isn't the most creative. That's not usually the job of a full back, his priority is to defend and maybe if we played with an effective wide right player his attacking limitations would matter less. Once we are playing at a better standard the importance of a decent defender will oerhaps be more apparent.

sleeping giant
02-05-2017, 06:05 PM

Hope so as a few are ready to dump our Cup Winning captain for him.

HoboHarry
02-05-2017, 06:12 PM
Hope so as a few are ready to dump our Cup Winning captain for him.
Only those who can't see the woods for the trees. I already said it earlier, but it appears that NL has offered David Gray a contract IN ADDITION to chasing Whittaker.......

Vault Boy
02-05-2017, 06:20 PM

Aye, but I think I've said enough. :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
02-05-2017, 06:35 PM
It seems that the blind loyalty and nostalgia being bandied about in relation to SDG could also be the same nostalgia that has endeared so many folk to Whittaker, despite most not seeing him play in years.

bingo70
02-05-2017, 06:38 PM
It seems that the blind loyalty and nostalgia being bandied about in relation to SDG could also be the same nostalgia that has endeared so many folk to Whittaker, despite most not seeing him play in years.

Totally agree.

IF he stays then SDG starts as first choice RB and it's up to Whittaker to take the position off him.

If SDG expects never to have competition for his place then that's just not realistic.

Col_0762
02-05-2017, 06:39 PM
Steven Whittaker is a decent player but lets not too carried away. He''s not been that regular in the Norwich team in his time there, he's played 80 league games in 5 seasons and played 17 league and cup games this season, hes 32 and obviously doesnt fit into any Norwich plan going forward. At this point in his career I honestly dont think he offers more than David Gray (granted they are obviously different types of fullback/wingback).
Just posted pretty much the same on SDG thread:

Whittaker has played 12 league games this season in a piss poor Norwich team. He played 8 league games last season, in a Norwich team relegated. At 32, is he really a better option than Gray? He obviously hasn't been playing regularly and defending was never his strong point. If we are interested, I would hope he was coming as competition to Gray, not be an automatic pick. Gray deserves his chance in the Premier League. He was our first signing when relegated and has been part of the journey back, plus the cup last season. I know sentitment shouldn't matter if we can bring better in, I'm not too sure SW would be that much of an improvemet to be honest.

Hiber-nation
02-05-2017, 06:48 PM

Whittaker has played 12 league games this season in a piss poor Norwich team. He played 8 league games last season, in a Norwich team relegated. At 32, is he really a better option than Gray? He obviously hasn't been playing regularly and defending was never his strong point. If we are interested, I would hope he was coming as competition to Gray, not be an automatic pick. Gray deserves his chance in the Premier League. He was our first signing when relegated and has been part of the journey back, plus the cup last season. I know sentitment shouldn't matter if we can bring better in, I'm not too sure SW would be that much of an improvemet to be honest.

Hardly. Maybe underachieved but 8th in the Championship and beat Reading 7-1 the other week.

Col_0762
02-05-2017, 06:54 PM
Hardly. Maybe underachieved but 8th in the Championship and beat Reading 7-1 the other week.

They've won 3, lost 6 and drew 3 in his 12 league appearences. He couldn't get in the team when Neil was the manager at the start of the season, and they were piss poor then. The Reading result was one of those freak results that happens from time time, plus he never played in it. Not trying to knock him, just not convinced he would be that big an improvement on DG.

HoboHarry
02-05-2017, 06:55 PM

They are 8th in the second tier of English football which is light years away from being piss poor. Making up daft statements to justify your point doesn't make them true......

Col_0762
02-05-2017, 07:01 PM
How am I making up daft statements? They've won three games in the last month or two which has popped them up a few places, but they're only another couple of bad results from dropping back down to the bottom half. They have been abysmal for the squad they had dropping back into that league, resulting in their manager being sacked. Hardly made up statements.

Just realised they only have one game left lol but still been a poor season.

BlackSheep
02-05-2017, 08:03 PM
How ironic. Against Aberdeen in the semi, Gray played and tacked like a man posessed. He won every 50-50 challenge and a fair few when he wasn't favourite to get to the ball. Fair enough to say that he isn't the most creative. That's not usually the job of a full back, his priority is to defend and maybe if we played with an effective wide right player his attacking limitations would matter less. Once we are playing at a better standard the importance of a decent defender will oerhaps be more apparent.

Both of Hibs 'full backs' spend a substantial amount of time attacking, so to discount their attacking ability is short sighted.

I do agree that's Gray had quite a good semi final performance but not brilliant when attacking again.

You seem to forget that Lennon favours attacking wing backs and has had to change this tactic to suit playing against teams that park the bus, IMHO due to the substandard delivery from all of our wide players.

I'm am merely stating that Grays position in the starting 11 should not be guaranteed by a few performances.

When Ambrose played RB when Gray was injured I thought the team felt better going forward from the wings.

New Full/Wing Backs on both flanks next season would be a breath of fresh air.

Ozyhibby
02-05-2017, 08:04 PM
For me, Steven Whittaker is a far better player than David Gray. I don't think it's even close.
However, I don't think that replacing Gray is a high priority and I also think he has been an excellent captain. Team spirit has scarcely been higher than it has been since he was given the armband at the start of last season.
I've no idea what SW's fitness is like just now and his age is a concern.
In other words I'm sitting on the fence on this.

southern hibby
02-05-2017, 08:17 PM
Hanlon at 27 and 300 + games and McGregor at 31 are unlikely to be doing too much developing by playing with a guy with a similar number of games under his belt at this stage of their careers.

Well you could be right but I'm sure SW has learned a hell of a lot against top teams in England and at international level that he could be passing on to both players, but that's just my opinion.

GGTTH

Aldo
02-05-2017, 08:21 PM
Would or could SW be played as a DM or holding midfield player??

superfurryhibby
02-05-2017, 08:21 PM
Both of Hibs 'full backs' spend a substantial amount of time attacking, so to discount their attacking ability is short sighted.

I do agree that's Gray had quite a good semi final performance but not brilliant when attacking again.

You seem to forget that Lennon favours attacking wing backs and has had to change this tactic to suit playing against teams that park the bus, IMHO due to the substandard delivery from all of our wide players.

I'm am merely stating that Grays position in the starting 11 should not be guaranteed by a few performances.

When Ambrose played RB when Gray was injured I thought the team felt better going forward from the wings.

New Full/Wing Backs on both flanks next season would be a breath of fresh air.

I would highlight that many SPL teams play one up front and are very defensive too.

Whatever formation Lennon may have preferred with Celtic, I imagine it's not comparable with the reality of managing Hibs. Celtic would have the lion's share of the ball in nearly every game they play in the SPL. Being realistic , that's not going to apply at Hibs.

Again, I would say that a full backs job is to defend. Hibs prediliction for playing 4 central midfielders has been a bit of a hinderance these past three seasons. The fact that Boyle has done so well dueing the past months may be in part attributed to the fact that he is so ably supported by the guy behind him, less defending to do and decent interplay between the two.

I can see where you are coming from re: Ambrose. However, he is a bit of a cut above what we have in terms of being a defender with a lot of creativity in him. Him signing on would be a far bigger coup than Whittaker

weecounty hibby
02-05-2017, 08:31 PM
What about we go ****ing mental and have both of them. Playing in the prem next season will be more demanding physically and mentally and we will be playing against better players. We will need a strong squad and not just a strong first eleven. Why do people think we are only allowed one in one out? And while we're at it let's get Efe signed up too

mjhibby
02-05-2017, 08:33 PM
The fact is that sw would be a very good signing and one who would enhance the squad. With Swanson signed I'd be happy if we sign two or three more of that calibre.

O'Rourke3
02-05-2017, 08:33 PM
I thought SW was on loan at Reading this season?

LeithMike
02-05-2017, 08:54 PM
Been watching Hibs since 1980 and, irrespective of the cup final, David Gray is the best right back I've seen at Hibs. He is an excellent defender and is also one of our best in the air. Very ofyen heads the ball clear from the back post. Yes, he has made errors this year but I would put a lot of that down to fatigue as, like Lewis, he's often been asked to cover the entire length of the field. Whenever Hibs play two wide midfielders (very rare in the last 3 seasons but you can see Lennon wants to go that way) bith David and Lewis look very good full backs. While we could do with cover, I wouldnt want a big wage spent on this area of the side. Hibs have a strong argument for having the second best defence in Scotland, please put the money into a striker to link with Cummings and a wide player to complement Swanson.

Whittaker is no doubt an excellent footballer but, for me, he doesn't have a defender's instinct and is more interested in beating a man rather than stopping one getting a cross in. David Gray for me every time.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

hibbydog
02-05-2017, 09:04 PM
Great player Whittaker, but the fact that we are even debating whether he is better than what we've got tells you we shouldn't prioritise investment in this area of the team.

We have to put aside Grays obviously legendary status as the scorer of the most important goal in the clubs history.

Gray is solid. Nothing more. He's definitely good enough for where we want to go though, so I'd like us to put our money into a striker to help Cummings.

Lancs Harp
02-05-2017, 09:06 PM
What about we go ****ing mental and have both of them. Playing in the prem next season will be more demanding physically and mentally and we will be playing against better players. We will need a strong squad and not just a strong first eleven. Why do people think we are only allowed one in one out? And while we're at it let's get Efe signed up too

I'll drink to that. :thumbsup:

pacorosssco
02-05-2017, 09:09 PM
I'll drink to that. :thumbsup:

And me. Also whitty rm sdg rb is good shout. 33 whitty is also a gamble pedigree aside. Could be done . JJ came similar age under mixu and was over hill despite big hopes

Hiber-nation
02-05-2017, 09:12 PM
I thought SW was on loan at Reading this season?

Don't think he's been on loan anywhere.

Billy Whizz
02-05-2017, 09:16 PM
I see Michael O'Neill is favourite for the Norwich job, wonder if he'll want Whittaker to stay, and take Austin McPhee with him

anon1875
02-05-2017, 09:17 PM
Been watching Hibs since 1980 and, irrespective of the cup final, David Gray is the best right back I've seen at Hibs. He is an excellent defender and is also one of our best in the air. Very ofyen heads the ball clear from the back post. Yes, he has made errors this year but I would put a lot of that down to fatigue as, like Lewis, he's often been asked to cover the entire length of the field. Whenever Hibs play two wide midfielders (very rare in the last 3 seasons but you can see Lennon wants to go that way) bith David and Lewis look very good full backs. While we could do with cover, I wouldnt want a big wage spent on this area of the side. Hibs have a strong argument for having the second best defence in Scotland, please put the money into a striker to link with Cummings and a wide player to complement Swanson.

Whittaker is no doubt an excellent footballer but, for me, he doesn't have a defender's instinct and is more interested in beating a man rather than stopping one getting a cross in. David Gray for me every time.

this

Sammy7nil
02-05-2017, 09:20 PM

Opinions everone has one and imho SDG could not lace Stevens boots.

ancient hibee
02-05-2017, 09:21 PM
Whittaker in midfield is a waste of money.He's a back who likes to attack because he's better at that than defending.Not what we need.

GreenNWhiteArmy
02-05-2017, 09:23 PM

Tend to agree with you Mike, good post!

silverhibee
02-05-2017, 09:42 PM
Fair enough Silv, I haven't seen him since August and am happy to go with your judgement as you've seen him playing recently.

I feel that if we are spending time and money on a youth system we have to give the better ones a chance at some point or there is no point in having the set up.

He could be a good player Scoops, it's just a bit hard to judge how good a player he is in this league, he can only have been sent to get some experience at a tougher level, not a better one, in all honesty City's best defender has been Joe Mbu from the games i have seen, the one thing i have noticed is that it didn't seem like that Hibs were sending anyone along to keep tabs on him or Lewis Allan. :aok:

silverhibee
02-05-2017, 09:44 PM
Only those who can't see the woods for the trees. I already said it earlier, but it appears that NL has offered David Gray a contract IN ADDITION to chasing Whittaker.......

The contract was offered a while ago, doesn't mean David Gray has accepted it.

HoboHarry
02-05-2017, 09:47 PM
The contract was offered a while ago, doesn't mean David Gray has accepted it.

Wasn't really my point. My point is that people on here are assuming that gray is being replaced but it could be that NL wants both at Hibs.

Sammy7nil
02-05-2017, 09:51 PM
Wasn't really my point. My point is that people on here are assuming that gray is being replaced but it could be that NL wants both at Hibs.

You could be right but NL may have offered SDG a contract at the same or at reduced wage take it or leave it deal playing at a higher level.

PercyHibs
02-05-2017, 09:53 PM

I think he'll be ready next year. Strong , quick, good in the air and aggressive.

Its tough to give youth a chance when there's so much at stake in games but I'd like to see hibs go back to throwing these guys in with exception. (Players not being physical enough).

HoboHarry
02-05-2017, 09:55 PM
You could be right but NL may have offered SDG a contract at the same or at reduced wage take it or leave it deal playing at a higher level.

He may also have offered him better terms - I doubt anyone on this site knows but that doesn't stop them jumping to conclusions.

silverhibee
02-05-2017, 10:06 PM

I would be happy to have both of them in the squad for next season, also got to remember that I'm sure SW may have other clubs after him now that he has left Norwich, clubs down South will be interested along with 3-4 clubs in the Premiership in Scotland.

jodjam
02-05-2017, 10:23 PM
My sons work has been doing a lot of work on SW house. He has kept property in Edinburgh and recently has been working on it with a view to moving home. Not saying it's Hibs he's signing with but his family is moving back to Kingsknowe

1van Sprou7e
02-05-2017, 10:31 PM
Always the chance that Hertz will be in for him, he was raised a jambo and they'll need a replacement for Paterson

Then again he's actually a good player so probably no chance that Cathro would sign him...

hibees 7062
03-05-2017, 12:03 AM
Always the chance that Hertz will be in for him, he was raised a jambo and they'll need a replacement for Paterson

Then again he's actually a good player so probably no chance that Levein would sign him...

Sorted :greengrin

AgentDaleCooper
03-05-2017, 04:00 AM
the suggestion that he wouldn't improve our squad is absolutely mental IMO. people have been saying we need competition for RB and LB...is that not exactly what we'd be getting?

bingo70
03-05-2017, 05:35 AM
the suggestion that he wouldn't improve our squad is absolutely mental IMO. people have been saying we need competition for RB and LB...is that not exactly what we'd be getting?

I don't think anybody is saying that?

People are questioning whether he should automatically take the place of one of our most consistent performers and all time heroes, especially when whittakers biggest weakness is prinably Grays biggest strength. Some people think he should, some think he shouldn't, either way it's a subject that's worth debating.

BSEJVT
03-05-2017, 05:47 AM
Off topic but whatever happened to the young guy Dunsmore (was it)?

At one time he was touted as cover for SDG but seems to have disappeared right off the radar

Dibben
03-05-2017, 05:56 AM

At one time he was touted as cover for SDG but seems to have disappeared right off the radar

Quick look on google shows he's on loan at Edinburgh City.

He's not been mentioned much lately though!

thebausburst
03-05-2017, 06:23 AM
Linked to SW as a ploy to put pressure on DG to re-sign, it won't happen!

Speedway
03-05-2017, 07:25 AM
Two interesting bits of hearsay...

1. Lennon has supposedly set a target of finishing 2nd for next season.

2. Ambrose deal a real possibility. Player not being greedy at all.

For what it's worth.

SirDavidsNapper
03-05-2017, 07:26 AM

For what it's worth.

I'm annoyed he's not targeting 1st 🙈

1van Sprou7e
03-05-2017, 08:32 AM

For what it's worth.

Great news if true.

Tbh I will be very surprised if we come 2nd but there's no reason not to aim for that!

Jim44
03-05-2017, 08:33 AM

For what it's worth.

Well I hope that he will get a healthy budget to make it a realistic target.

Billy Whizz
03-05-2017, 09:15 AM

He's been released by Hibs

wookie70
03-05-2017, 09:46 AM
Great news if true.

Tbh I will be very surprised if we come 2nd but there's no reason not to aim for that!

I would be surprised and delighted but given Lennon says we are already the second best team in the country he hasn't left himself with any other option but to aim for 2nd or better.

Aldo
03-05-2017, 09:56 AM

For what it's worth.

Thanks for that Speedway. I see nothing wrong with setting our targets/ambitions high.

If we could get Ambrose it would be a statement of real intent.

Vault Boy
03-05-2017, 10:25 AM

For what it's worth.

Great stuff. Would be a good problem to have, but I wonder who misses out when Darren, Hanlon and Ambrose are all fit? Back three a possibility but Lennon seems to favour the 4.

1van Sprou7e
03-05-2017, 10:27 AM
I would be surprised and delighted but given Lennon says we are already the second best team in the country he hasn't left himself with any other option but to aim for 2nd or better.

He said in on Hibs TV didn't he?

Probably just appealing to the fans and maybe didn't expect it to be picked up by the national media

Baldy Foghorn
03-05-2017, 10:32 AM
He said in on Hibs TV didn't he?

Probably just appealing to the fans and maybe didn't expect it to be picked up by the national media

NL doesn't just say things for the sake of it, he is a born winner, and will genuinely think we can achieve 2nd....

1van Sprou7e
03-05-2017, 10:33 AM
NL doesn't just say things for the sake of it, he is a born winner, and will genuinely think we can achieve 2nd....

I'm talking about him saying that we're the 2nd best team in the country because to be honest, if he genuinely believes that then he's deluded

Andy74
03-05-2017, 10:43 AM
I'm talking about him saying that we're the 2nd best team in the country because to be honest, if he genuinely believes that then he's deluded

Is he?

I don't think he is suggesting we have the record for that, although holding the Scottish cup helped. His comments were on the back of largely outplaying the team that have been second best for a while and I suppose in beating Hearts as well. Nothing at all deluded about him thinking he has the second best squad in the country.

BSEJVT
03-05-2017, 10:50 AM
He's been released by Hibs

Thanks Billy

Baldy Foghorn
03-05-2017, 11:07 AM

One thing he ain't is deluded......

1van Sprou7e
03-05-2017, 11:45 AM
One thing he ain't is deluded......

Aberdeen have 3 less points than us with a game in hand, and they're in the league above.

Sure we can play well in the big games but it's about consistently playing well in the league which we have obviously struggled with the last few years

Skol
03-05-2017, 08:19 PM
Great stuff. Would be a good problem to have, but I wonder who misses out when Darren, Hanlon and Ambrose are all fit? Back three a possibility but Lennon seems to favour the 4.

A back 3 with Whitaker at RWB would be a good option. We would however need a LWB as well as I dont think Stevenson would be up to that role.

Whitaker was never a right back and used to give me nightmares defensively....RWB/RM would have been his best position IMO

Baader
03-05-2017, 09:35 PM
Whittaker was seriously underrated at ER. Be a very good signing but would be very surprised due to the money he'll have been used to.

Lennon is anything but deluded. If he thinks we are the second best team in the country I'm confident he'll go on to prove that. Think it's more a statement of intent and will look forward to seeing what he does.

houstonhibbee
03-05-2017, 09:53 PM
A back 3 with Whitaker at RWB would be a good option. We would however need a LWB as well as I dont think Stevenson would be up to that role.

Whitaker was never a right back and used to give me nightmares defensively....RWB/RM would have been his best position IMO

I dont think he has any problems defending/ attacking in the LWB role and has bags of stamina, it's maybe just his final ball that lets him down a bit, but would not say he's not up to it.

pacorosssco
04-05-2017, 12:25 AM
Whittaker was seriously underrated at ER. Be a very good signing but would be very surprised due to the money he'll have been used to.

Lennon is anything but deluded. If he thinks we are the second best team in the country I'm confident he'll go on to prove that. Think it's more a statement of intent and will look forward to seeing what he does. hes 33 out of contract and back in our range . Lennons call but looks good in theory. Not sure was underated got good fee and with Murphy was best attacking back of recent times.

SirDavidsNapper
04-05-2017, 12:42 AM
Aberdeen have 3 less points than us with a game in hand, and they're in the league above.

Sure we can play well in the big games but it's about consistently playing well in the league which we have obviously struggled with the last few years

Teams don't pack 11 men behind the ball every week against Aberdeen.

pacorosssco
04-05-2017, 12:51 AM
Teams don't pack 11 men behind the ball every week against Aberdeen.
Yes and in two games in cup last two season we dont look far off same level as them. I salute win rate achieved though. Spl is now reflecting money spent squad to table

Scouse Hibee
04-05-2017, 06:59 AM
I'm annoyed he's not targeting 1st 🙈

Surely he is targeting first place or what would be the point.

snooky
04-05-2017, 07:20 AM
Surely he is targeting first place or what would be the point.

What if Leicester had only targeted 2nd position last year?
To be fair, if we come close to challenging Celtic, they will just buy our key players in January to weaken us as they did to the Arabs a couple of years ago.
Nothing changes.

GordonHFC
04-05-2017, 07:27 AM
To be fair, if we come close to challenging Celtic, they will just buy our key players in January to weaken us as they did to the Arabs a couple of years ago.
Nothing changes.

To be honest I doubt if Leicester targeted anything other than survival at the start of last season. Obviously targets change as the season goes on.

Scouse Hibee
04-05-2017, 07:29 AM
Nothing changes.

Surely every year your target has to be to win the league you are in. Coming second may well seem at the end of the season to be a job well done but targeting second place in any sport is not what I want to hear. The champions league money and targeting at least fourth place in EPL is a prime example of how money has changed the perspective of success.If Leicester targeted second place then fair enough but if anything they have proved that targeting 1st place is not as daft as it seems.

The Leith Dutch
04-05-2017, 07:41 AM
If we finish 2nd it would be an absolutely massive achievement.

We only have 6 second places in our history.
Aberdeen have 16 if you include this year.

Out of the top 6 would be a failure.
Top 4 would be an excellent result as we'd finish above one of sevco or hearts - possibly both if the latter are as bad as they were this year.

J-C
04-05-2017, 07:41 AM
Surely every year your target has to be to win the league you are in. Coming second may well seem at the end of the season to be a job well done but targeting second place in any sport is not what I want to hear. The champions league money and targeting at least fourth place in EPL is a prime example of how money has changed the perspective of success.If Leicester targeted second place then fair enough but if anything they have proved that targeting 1st place is not as daft as it seems.

Even Ranieri at Leicester didn't target 1st, in an interview he said his main aim was to finish in the top half, considering they were nearly relegated the previous season. Obviously every team would love to win the league they're playing in but you have to realistic in what you can achieve with the resources available.

Celtic as so far ahead of everyone else right now and there's no way we or indeed anyone else in the SPL will come close to them again next season, all we can try is to push them a lot closer by closing the points gap and making it harder for them to win it. Lennon has earmarked 2nd spot in the league as his main target and I'm glad he wants to aim that high instead of just accepting a top 4 finish and mediocrity.

snooky
04-05-2017, 10:18 AM
Even Ranieri at Leicester didn't target 1st, in an interview he said his main aim was to finish in the top half, considering they were nearly relegated the previous season. Obviously every team would love to win the league they're playing in but you have to realistic in what you can achieve with the resources available.

Celtic as so far ahead of everyone else right now and there's no way we or indeed anyone else in the SPL will come close to them again next season, all we can try is to push them a lot closer by closing the points gap and making it harder for them to win it. Lennon has earmarked 2nd spot in the league as his main target and I'm glad he wants to aim that high instead of just accepting a top 4 finish and mediocrity.
It's not about just aiming for second. If you go into a league where you have the mentality that a team in it can beat you then you are half beaten before the ball is kicked. Alex Ferguson at Aberdeen and Ned convinced their teams that they were better than the OF. The job was half done before kick off.

Scouse Hibee
04-05-2017, 10:35 AM

Why not aim for first and if we finish second then we have under achieved :-)

speedy_gonzales
04-05-2017, 12:33 PM

From memory, he could take a throw-in though.
I've no idea how or why, but we've really struggled the last 10 years or so to play the ball out from a throw-in. We dither too much then put ourselves under pressure.
Ambrose gives us another option with long throws when we're in the final third, but there's no guarantee at this moment he's staying.

ekhibee
04-05-2017, 01:18 PM
I've no idea how or why, but we've really struggled the last 10 years or so to play the ball out from a throw-in. We dither too much then put ourselves under pressure.
Ambrose gives us another option with long throws when we're in the final third, but there's no guarantee at this moment he's staying.
Very good points. 2 things that have really annoyed me over the last few years are the poor throw-ins and rubbish short corners.

snooky
04-05-2017, 01:27 PM

It's not the thrower that's the problem - it's the lack of movement from the potential receivers.
The shysters - if you excuse the pun :greengrin

speedy_gonzales
04-05-2017, 01:28 PM
The shysters - if you excuse the pun :greengrin

Well played sir, well played!

Since90+2
04-05-2017, 01:31 PM
Nothing changes.

Cant remember Dundee United coming close to challenging Celtic for the league in recent years , when was that?

jacomo
04-05-2017, 01:42 PM
Nothing changes.

Leicester targeted 40 points last season!

Eyrie
04-05-2017, 06:30 PM
Why not aim for first and if we finish second then we have under achieved :-)

There no point is setting an unrealistic goal because people just switch off. We'd be as well targeting Champions League victory in 2018/19 with the Scottish title in 2017/18 simply being a means to enter the Champions League.

Setting a hard but achievable goal such as second is something that players will buy into and will get extra incentive from. The same applies to winning a cup or beating Celtc when we play them.

blackpoolhibs
04-05-2017, 06:43 PM
There no point is setting an unrealistic goal because people just switch off. We'd be as well targeting Champions League victory in 2018/19 with the Scottish title in 2017/18 simply being a means to enter the Champions League.

Setting a hard but achievable goal such as second is something that players will buy into and will get extra incentive from. The same applies to winning a cup or beating Celtc when we play them.

Exactly, if lennon said we are aiming to win the league next season, i'd laugh as would 99% of every other fan.

I still don't think we will be 2nd, but with the right players coming in, it's certainly a target we could get but not entirely out of our reach.

Scouse Hibee
04-05-2017, 06:52 PM
Exactly, if lennon said we are aiming to win the league next season, i'd laugh as would 99% of every other fan.

I still don't think we will be 2nd, but with the right players coming in, it's certainly a target we could get but not entirely out of our reach.

I laughed at second what's the difference?

Eyrie
04-05-2017, 07:00 PM

Would you consider second to be beyond us? Or something that we can achieve?

It will need the right recruitment and a little luck, but it can be done.

Scouse Hibee
04-05-2017, 07:02 PM
Would you consider second to be beyond us? Or something that we can achieve?

It will need the right recruitment and a little luck, but it can be done.

Beyond us.

blackpoolhibs
04-05-2017, 07:08 PM

2nd is achievable, although unlikely, 1st is not. Cant believe i have to explain it really, but hey ho.

Eyrie
04-05-2017, 07:08 PM
Beyond us.

Who do you see as being that far ahead of us that second is impossible?

Sevco are in disarray, Hearts have a girder to fund and Aberdeen are looking at a new stadium. I'm not saying that's enough to bet your mortgage on it happening, but it's not in the realms of Lord Lucan riding Shergar to see the Loch Ness Monster.

Scouse Hibee
04-05-2017, 07:11 PM
2nd is achievable, although unlikely, 1st is not. Cant believe i have to explain it really, but hey ho.

They're both achievable, at the start of the season and both unlikely is my point.

Scouse Hibee
04-05-2017, 07:14 PM
Who do you see as being that far ahead of us that second is impossible?

Sevco are in disarray, Hearts have a girder to fund and Aberdeen are looking at a new stadium. I'm not saying that's enough to bet your mortgage on it happening, but it's not in the realms of Lord Lucan riding Shergar to see the Loch Ness Monster.

You have made one hell of a lot of assumptions about the quality of teams including Hibs who have hardly set the championship alight. We will do well to finish fourth.

blackpoolhibs
04-05-2017, 07:14 PM
They're both achievable, at the start of the season and both unlikely is my point.

1st is not achievable, 2nd might be.

Scouse Hibee
04-05-2017, 07:18 PM
1st is not achievable, 2nd might be.

1st is achievable and would be classed as a Leicester type miracle. 2nd would be less of a miracle but still amazing.

blackpoolhibs
04-05-2017, 07:21 PM
1st is achievable and would be classed as a Leicester type miracle. 2nd would be less of a miracle but still amazing.

Yet you laughed at the thought of us coming 2nd?

Scouse Hibee
04-05-2017, 07:39 PM

So what? I also laugh at the thought of us winning it. Doesn't mean it's not possible, I laughed at half time against Falkirk too at Hampden when someone suggested we would win. I did simillar about Liverpool in Istanbul. And Hampden in May.

H18 SFR
04-05-2017, 07:46 PM
So what? I also laugh at the thought of us winning it. Doesn't mean it's not possible, I laughed at half time against Falkirk too at Hampden when someone suggested we would win. I did simillar about Liverpool in Istanbul. And Hampden in May.

I predicted we would overturn the 3-0 deficit against Falkirk to shut up my greetin son. Proud moment.

Eyrie
04-05-2017, 10:04 PM
You have made one hell of a lot of assumptions about the quality of teams including Hibs who have hardly set the championship alight. We will do well to finish fourth.

My realistic expectation for next season is top four, but the only teams that have a better chance than us of second are Aberdeen and Sevco.

Hibby Kay-Yay
04-05-2017, 10:14 PM
Sooooooooooo...Steven Whittaker would be an excellent signing in my book :flag:

The Leith Dutch
04-05-2017, 10:35 PM
It's not about just aiming for second. If you go into a league where you have the mentality that a team in it can beat you then you are half beaten before the ball is kicked. Alex Ferguson at Aberdeen and Ned convinced their teams that they were better than the OF. The job was half done before kick off.

I think a lot of the comments here are confusing what we as fans realistically think is achievable with how the management sets up and prepares the team. The team mentality is totally different to what fans looking at the league objectively think is a reasonable expectation.

From a managerial perspective looking at the league we're in it's not unreasonable to set out to win every game.
You may argue that they'd all agree to be happy with a point at Celtic but I'd imagine NL is still pitching "Keep it tight and hit them on the break and we can take 3 points".

From a fans perspective it's top 6 to avoid underachieving and top 4 for a decent showing.
Anything higher would be a fantastic result.

Cameron1875
04-05-2017, 10:46 PM
Don't mean to be all doom in gloom but we aren't going to skoosh next season. Our team isn't used to getting beat never mind possibly taking a sore one which may happen a couple of times next season.

I would bite your hand off for 4th place in the first season and it's achievable if we recruit right.

A Henderson would be a superb signing but we'd need 2 or 3 to slot into the first team to finish top 4 imo.

Oscar T Grouch
10-05-2017, 04:19 PM
Seen on twitter Whitty is off to the huns for £8k a week. Was allegedly offer a contract with Hibs but chose the money. This is of course a twitter rumour and may well not have any relationship with the truth 😉

Ozyhibby
10-05-2017, 04:24 PM
I predicted we would overturn the 3-0 deficit against Falkirk to shut up my greetin son. Proud moment.

Me too. He wanted to go home. Still use it to teach him to never give in. [emoji23]

Heisenberg
10-05-2017, 04:32 PM
Seen on twitter Whitty is off to the huns for £8k a week. Was allegedly offer a contract with Hibs but chose the money. This is of course a twitter rumour and may well not have any relationship with the truth 😉

Yeah not sure how reliable it is. The twitterer says it's come from an insider at east mains....

MrSmith
10-05-2017, 04:35 PM
Easter Road Loyal, says everything I need to know about that twitter feed ... :aok:

Baldy Foghorn
10-05-2017, 04:40 PM
If SW is getting £8k at sevco per week, then fair play....

Doubt it though, as they are skint, and quite how anyone knows what we and them are offering is beyond me?

patlowe
10-05-2017, 04:47 PM
Was Whittaker not one of the guys that jumped ship when the old Rangers went down the plughole? Not sure how keen the fans would be on signing him...

RIP Bestie
10-05-2017, 05:11 PM
He laughed cos he was probably being realistic, but what does he know when you're always right?

Hibstrooper
10-05-2017, 05:56 PM
So Whittaker wants to come back to Scotland. Essentially that puts 4 teams in the equation; Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen & The Rangers. 2 clubs reportedly interested, one offers £3k and the other to beat that offer more than doubles it?!

Why not just offer £5k in the knowledge Hibs would never stretch that far, particularly for a 33yr old. Either folk are just making up figures or it's Kevin Kyle all over again and The Rangers haven't learned their lessons.

snooky
10-05-2017, 06:01 PM
Was Whittaker not one of the guys that jumped ship when the old Rangers went down the plughole? Not sure how keen the fans would be on signing him...

Any lifeboat is welcome to a sailor when the boat is sinking.

snooky
10-05-2017, 06:07 PM
Easter Road Loyal, says everything I need to know about that twitter feed ... :aok:

Love the nom-de-plume. Oddly enough, for me anyway, it adds a little element of doubt into the validity of ERL's post.

HibsNutter
10-05-2017, 06:12 PM
So Whittaker wants to come back to Scotland. Essentially that puts 4 teams in the equation; Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen & The Rangers. 2 clubs reportedly interested, one offers £3k and the other to beat that offer more than doubles it?!

Why not just offer £5k in the knowledge Hibs would never stretch that far, particularly for a 33yr old. Either folk are just making up figures or it's Kevin Kyle all over again and The Rangers haven't learned their lessons.

Maybe the player wants to finish his career at Hibs, as others have suggested, and the wage hike is necessary for them to get him? And they are fine with it because a player of his ability would usually cost more than 8k per week. Who knows?

Might be rubbish, might not be. Hopefully it is and we'll see him here.

blackpoolhibs
10-05-2017, 06:25 PM
He laughed cos he was probably being realistic, but what does he know when you're always right?

1st place is unrealistic, and i also dont think we will make 2nd place, but with the right signings we could challenge Aberdeen for 2nd place.

Would you say thats unrealistic, or are you just being a dick for the sake of it?:rolleyes:

MacGruber
10-05-2017, 06:57 PM
He's not signed up with The Rangers, but he has been offered 8k and he'll be in Scotland next season. That'll be that I think. Still SDG will do me

RIP Bestie
10-05-2017, 07:19 PM
1st place is unrealistic, and i also dont think we will make 2nd place, but with the right signings we could challenge Aberdeen for 2nd place.

Would you say thats unrealistic, or are you just being a dick for the sake of it?:rolleyes:

With the right signings we could challenge Celtic for first place but that is unrealistic as is challenging for second place next season, simply because there would have to be a bigger investment needed than we would be able to make without losing any of our main assets Not saying that we couldn't have a squad who could beat anyone on its day but it is about consistency in a league campaign. If disagreeing with you makes me a dick then I'm a dick but you saying that kinda proves my point.

blackpoolhibs
10-05-2017, 07:26 PM
With the right signings we could challenge Celtic for first place but that is unrealistic as is challenging for second place next season, simply because there would have to be a bigger investment needed than we would be able to make without losing any of our main assets Not saying that we couldn't have a squad who could beat anyone on its day but it is about consistency in a league campaign. If disagreeing with you makes me a dick then I'm a dick but you saying that kinda proves my point.

If you cant see the difference in the kind of signings we'd need to challenge Celtic and Aberdeen, then i'd laugh too.

RIP Bestie
10-05-2017, 07:31 PM
If you cant see the difference in the kind of signings we'd need to challenge Celtic and Aberdeen, then i'd laugh too.

I can. Point is it is unrealistic/unlikely that we will make the necessary amount of quality signings to challenge either

anon1875
10-05-2017, 07:36 PM
You'll need 17 new signings to challenge Celtic you absolute dreamer haha

blackpoolhibs
10-05-2017, 07:40 PM
You'll need 17 new signings to challenge Celtic you absolute dreamer haha

Who thinks we can challenge Celtic? :confused:

Eyrie
10-05-2017, 08:03 PM
Who thinks we can challenge Celtic? :confused:

I expect us to challenge Celtc over 90 minutes. I don't expect us to challenge them over 38 games.

blackpoolhibs
10-05-2017, 08:03 PM
I expect us to challenge Celtc over 90 minutes. I don't expect us to challenge them over 38 games.

Yip, me too.:agree: