PDA

View Full Version : Oli Shaw

hibs#1
01-05-2017, 06:43 PM
Anyone see his goal?a screamer,what's people's take on him?I have never seen him play so I don't have an opinion.seems highly rated.

1875STEVE
01-05-2017, 06:46 PM
Peach.

https://twitter.com/spfl/status/859018932514045952

Big_Franck
01-05-2017, 06:50 PM
Did ok today. Started the game really well and looked impressive in the first 20/25 minutes. He also scored in the first half but it was chopped off for offside. Second part of the 1st half his touch seemed to abandon him though.

Second half he struggled to really get in to the game at times but still had two really good efforts that were tipped over for corners. Looks promising but maybe not ready for 1st team quite yet.

bingo70
01-05-2017, 06:50 PM
I've seen very little of him but from what I have seen it looks to me like he'll probably need to bulk up a bit before making it at our level.

Before anyone says it, I'm not saying he needs to be 6ft 6 and able to run through walls, there is an element of power and strength you need to make the transition from development to first team football though. Many good players have struggled to make that transition, hopefully shaw does but I suspect he'll be on loan somewhere next season.

How many goals has he scored for stenhousemuir?

Big_Franck
01-05-2017, 06:51 PM
I've seen very little of him but from what I have seen it looks to me like he'll probably need to bulk up a bit before making it at our level.

Before anyone says it, I'm not saying he needs to be 6ft 6 and able to run through walls, there is an element of power and strength you need to make the transition from development to first team football though. Many good players have struggled to make that transition, hopefully shaw does but I suspect he'll be on loan somewhere next season.

How many goals has he scored for stenhousemuir?

He's got 6 for stenhousemuir and he's the top scorer by a mile in the development league with 26.

lord bunberry
01-05-2017, 06:53 PM
I saw him today in the development game and he wasn't great tbh. Nothing really stuck when he got the ball played up to him. It must be hard playing two games a week for 2 different teams. I would hope he would be in and around the first team squad next season so we can see what he's made off.

bingo70
01-05-2017, 07:02 PM
He's got 6 for stenhousemuir and he's the top scorer by a mile in the development league with 26.

TBH the number of goals scored in the development league means very little to me. Just now he's up against kids, playing against experienced pros is a different ball game altogether and many a good prospect couldn't make the transition.

Sounds like the guy has bags of potential though so fingers crossed.

Humo
01-05-2017, 07:18 PM
TBH the number of goals scored in the development league means very little to me. Just now he's up against kids, playing against experienced pros is a different ball game altogether and many a good prospect couldn't make the transition.

Sounds like the guy has bags of potential though so fingers crossed.
Cummings banged them in in the development league next season look what happened

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Brightside
01-05-2017, 07:18 PM
He is very very thin, and there is no doubt he needs to build himself up. Natural goalscorer though.

Sammy7nil
01-05-2017, 07:19 PM
Cummings banged them in in the development league next season look what happened

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yip took him an age to score.

Ronniekirk
01-05-2017, 07:42 PM
He might get some game time pre Season before going out on Loan again Don't think its realistic to expect him to do more than that This time any Loan deal will have a recall clause built in just in case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haymaker
01-05-2017, 08:27 PM
Would like to see him get a run out before the season ends.

sleeping giant
01-05-2017, 08:35 PM
I think Lennon rates him.
He's mentioned him a few times in interviews.

lord bunberry
01-05-2017, 08:36 PM
Aye he should start against St Mirren :wink:

sleeping giant
01-05-2017, 08:36 PM

:-)

He can't play for us this season.

lucky
01-05-2017, 08:49 PM
Next season is too soon for him. Let's give him space to develop

IncredibleHibee
01-05-2017, 08:52 PM
I would absolutely love to be wrong but I don't think he has enough to make it, not in the top league anyway. Hope im wrong

Andy74
01-05-2017, 08:57 PM
I would absolutely love to be wrong but I don't think he has enough to make it, not in the top league anyway. Hope im wrong

I know what you mean. Seen him a few times now and he's a nice player and a good finisher but he is very, very lightweight and his control is the ball is hit and miss. Playing against other kids he struggles back to goal.

That said you never know. Scoring goals is the tricky bit and he might just be able to kick on a few levels on the physical side.

northstandhibby
01-05-2017, 09:01 PM
Get the kid in as soon as he's able to play and we'll see then whether he's ready or not. Until we see him in the first team we'll never know. If he's not ready then we can work on the parts that he's failing on or he might just be ready to step up. He can certainly knock in the goals so give him a chance as soon as for me.

glory glory

Sammy7nil
01-05-2017, 09:16 PM
Get the kid in as soon as he's able to play and we'll see then whether he's ready or not. Until we see him in the first team we'll never know. If he's not ready then we can work on the parts that he's failing on or he might just be ready to step up. He can certainly knock in the goals so give him a chance as soon as for me.

glory glory

He is playing at Stenhousemuir so I am sure NL knows exactly what stage of development he is at without being in the first team

Billy Whizz
01-05-2017, 09:17 PM
I know what you mean. Seen him a few times now and he's a nice player and a good finisher but he is very, very lightweight and his control is the ball is hit and miss. Playing against other kids he struggles back to goal.

That said you never know. Scoring goals is the tricky bit and he might just be able to kick on a few levels on the physical side.

You mean like Deeks? That's who Oli reminds me of. Started as a main Striker, but ended up playing wide due to his physique

greenlex
01-05-2017, 09:21 PM
You mean like Deeks? That's who Oli reminds me of. Started as a main Striker, but ended up playing wide due to his physique

O connors first touch was also horrific.

northstandhibby
01-05-2017, 09:23 PM
He is playing at Stenhousemuir so I am sure NL knows exactly what stage of development he is at without being in the first team

Fair enough but we won't know how he'll react to playing at a higher level in our first team until he's chucked in. Give the lad a chance when we can is all I'm saying.

glory glory

Haymaker
02-05-2017, 03:01 AM
Aye he should start against St Mirren :wink:

If he doesn't it will be a disgrace.

marinello59
02-05-2017, 05:04 AM

He can't play.

Speedway
02-05-2017, 11:09 AM
Oli Shaw was supposed to be the next Lewis Allan.

Is Allan still injured?

Smartie
02-05-2017, 11:20 AM
Why do players always have to bulk up?

Derek Riordan tried very hard to bulk up but he just couldn't physically do it. It didn't stop him being deadly at what he did.

I sometimes wish we would stop trying to turn players into something that they're not.

If he's a natural finisher, slim, agile and quick, why should we be trying to mess with that?

Keyser Sauzee
02-05-2017, 11:23 AM

Derek Riordan tried very hard to bulk up but he just couldn't physically do it. It didn't stop him being deadly at what he did.

I sometimes wish we would stop trying to turn players into something that they're not.

If he's a natural finisher, slim, agile and quick, why should we be trying to mess with that?

Because if said player doesn't have the abilities u mention in ur last sentence, and it's quite possible Oli Shaw doesn't, then players need to have the physical attributes to give them more of a chance.

JDHibs
02-05-2017, 11:25 AM
Shaw will not be going out on loan next season.

He will be in Cranes situation, in and around the first team with snippets of game time.

Unseen work
02-05-2017, 11:27 AM
Yeah if only he was as big and bulky as the other youngsters that have impressed like Fraser Murray...

Lennon will see him train and play a lot for hibs plus Stenhousemuir, he will know exactly what he is capable of.

The fact Lennon has been saying if it wasn't for the loans he, along with Porteous would be in the team speaks volumes.

Hes still young, he will develop physically over time

everyone needs to to calm down and support the lad, it certainly seems like he has the ability.

Baldy Foghorn
02-05-2017, 11:28 AM
Yeah if only he was as big and bulky as the other youngsters that have impressed like Fraser Murray...

Lennon will see him train and play a lot for hibs plus Stenhousemuir, he will know exactly what he is capable of.

The fact Lennon has been saying if it wasn't for the loans he, along with Porteous would be in the team speaks volumes.

Hes still young, he will develop physically over time

everyone needs to to calm down and support the lad, it certainly seems like he has the ability.

:top marks

oconnors_strip
02-05-2017, 11:39 AM
Oli Shaw was supposed to be the next Lewis Allan.

Is Allan still injured?

Lewis Allan is on loan at edinburgh city

SRHibs
02-05-2017, 05:12 PM

Yup, questioning whether I'll renew my ST if he doesn't even start a young prospect like Shaw vs St Mirren.

bingo70
02-05-2017, 05:23 PM

Because big ugly experienced defenders will just swat him out the road more often than not .

There's obvious exceptions to that rule, such as Riordan, but on the whole players generally need to have an element of power and strength to make the step up. The fact it's taken him a while to get going for stenhousemuir may back that up but that's guess work as I've obviously not seen him play there.

Every one wants him to succeed and the number of goals he's scored is hugely encouraging but we've seen plenty like him before that have struggled to make the transition so hopefully he can do whatever is needed.

J-C
02-05-2017, 05:40 PM
Lennon did day if he wasn't on loan he's be getting game time, so he's obviously impressed enough.

B.H.F.C
02-05-2017, 07:08 PM
Shaw will not be going out on loan next season.

He will be in Cranes situation, in and around the first team with snippets of game time.

Hope he doesn't end up in a situation similar to Crane. That'd be no good for his development. Needs to play games, not in the 20s, which is clearly too easy for him.

Ozyhibby
02-05-2017, 07:39 PM
With the ability Riordon had, if he had improved his athletism, he would have played at a far higher level than he did and for a lot longer.
A proper gym program can improve his agility, speed and strength. There are very little down sides and a lot to be gained.
Going by the size of a lot of the Hibs players these days I think that he will be well looked after and a program will be in place by now. It's up to the player to put in the work of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

indiejak1413
02-05-2017, 07:55 PM
Hope he doesn't end up in a situation similar to Crane. That'd be no good for his development. Needs to play games, not in the 20s, which is clearly too easy for him.
I think Crane asked to go out on loan twice and NL said "no" twice. Shaw will get his chance he just needs to be patient.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk