PDA

View Full Version : Josh Dunn

The goalie
01-05-2017, 12:55 PM
I see on facebook, ex Hibs tv "star"'s lad has landed a top notch Schoolarship to the states and turned down a pro contract to take it up.

Good on him, the way Scottish football is going i wonder if more wont take this route.
Seen him a few times and he is a very good goalie, seems to have his head screwed on if going this route.

sleeping giant
01-05-2017, 04:19 PM
Seen him play years ago and mentioned him on a thread.
Looked like a keeper and by all accounts is highly regarded.
Great opportunity for a young guy.

There's another laddie in my boys year who also has a scholarship for football somewhere in the US.

Must be very exciting times for them.

greenlex
01-05-2017, 05:12 PM
Good luck to him. I hope he's been asking the right people the right questions. Speaking to a couple of lads the scholarship system isn't for everyone.

Smartie
01-05-2017, 05:29 PM
Was that not what David Weir did?

I always got the feeling that one of the reasons he played until he was 40 was because he didn't spend his years between the ages of 18 and 24 getting chopped to pieces in the Scottish leagues.

I'm sure it is not for everyone, but I would imagine it would be an absolutely fantastic opportunity for the right person.

Alex Harris - would this privately educated young man have been better off being halved by Shaun Hutchison and having his confidence stripped by the boo boys of Easter Road/ Terry Butcher or would he have been better off in the states, getting a scholarship? He'd have been a few years older, wiser, bigger, physical stronger and more capable of taking the knocks a few years down the line?

DirtyDeeds
01-05-2017, 05:38 PM
The scholarship system system is great from a sporting perspective, but is very mixed from the academic side. Most courses in the 1st year are like high school, with a variety of subjects studied not at all linked to your 'major'. Even with the tuition covered, these guys have to fund accommodation and a lifestyle during whats essentially a wasted year from a studying perspective. I know a few guys who have come back early, incredible facilities and the sun on your back isnt everything to the ones who want a quality education alongside the sport.

lyonhibs
01-05-2017, 07:05 PM

I always got the feeling that one of the reasons he played until he was 40 was because he didn't spend his years between the ages of 18 and 24 getting chopped to pieces in the Scottish leagues.

I'm sure it is not for everyone, but I would imagine it would be an absolutely fantastic opportunity for the right person.

Alex Harris - would this privately educated young man have been better off being halved by Shaun Hutchison and having his confidence stripped by the boo boys of Easter Road/ Terry Butcher or would he have been better off in the states, getting a scholarship? He'd have been a few years older, wiser, bigger, physical stronger and more capable of taking the knocks a few years down the line?

Out of interest, why the mention of his education? How is/was that a factor?

Don't disagree in principal but Duncan Watmore has an economics degree, got the **** kicked out of him up here yet prior to a bad knee injury was a consistent performer in the Premiership.

Smartie
01-05-2017, 07:28 PM
Out of interest, why the mention of his education? How is/was that a factor?

Don't disagree in principal but Duncan Watmore has an economics degree, got the **** kicked out of him up here yet prior to a bad knee injury was a consistent performer in the Premiership.

It shouldn't really be a factor, but it suggests to me that he will probably have more of an interest in education than many other Scottish footballers would, otherwise why would his parents have sent him there?

A scholarship, as has been pointed out above, isn't just about the sport but there is a bit of learning as well. I can think of many characters of the Scottish game that this would be wasted on.

I could just imagine Cumdog's first philosophy tutorial.

ColinNish
01-05-2017, 07:32 PM
There's gonna be a bit in the Evening News about it, with the headline,

"Look What Wullie Dunn's Laddies Done"

:wink:
:greengrin

The goalie
01-05-2017, 07:58 PM
Good luck to him. I hope he's been asking the right people the right questions. Speaking to a couple of lads the scholarship system isn't for everyone.
This seems a bit different from the route some boys take were they go through a company that charge them a wad of notes then end up in some college in the middle of nowhere.
this is a prep school that has head hunted him and given him a scholarship for a year. It is the Georgia soccer academy just outside Atlanta.
They play all over so the colleges will see him in the flesh and he will prob have a number to chose from.

a bit warmer than here that's for sure!

The goalie
01-05-2017, 08:04 PM

Tend to agree with you, particularly as he is a goalie and they don't get near the first team until their 20's playing u20's or soon to be reserve fitbaw on a cold night in Brechin or living the "dream" in the states? The place he is going costs $57000 a year or get paid £100 a week as a footballer here?

greenlex
01-05-2017, 08:26 PM
Tend to agree with you, particularly as he is a goalie and they don't get near the first team until their 20's playing u20's or soon to be reserve fitbaw on a cold night in Brechin or living the "dream" in the states? The place he is going costs $57000 a year or get pai £100 a week as a footballer here?

Sometimes the dream is just that though. Bears no resemblance to reality.
Hope it works out for the laddie.

lucky
01-05-2017, 08:59 PM
His dad posts on here, or at least he did. Good luck to Josh