PDA

View Full Version : Bored?? Watch Hibs beat Real Madrid, Puskas and all..

bigwheel
01-05-2017, 09:13 AM
https://www.youtube.com/embed/meAVIQu51YM

If you have some time on this May Day holiday...check out this 1964 footage of Hibs turning over Real Madrid at Easter Road 2-0.

Including two goals from a 17 year old Peter Cormack.

Great footage...

Anyone at the game??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-05-2017, 09:17 AM
I was there as a 12 year old, right behind the goals at the bottom of the slope :agree:

Didn't see the 1st goal but remember the 2nd (actually an O.G.) and the place erupting, Willie Hamilton was absolutely magnificent in that game, my old man and uncles in the old Centre Stand told me it was the best they had seen since Gordon Smith, praise indeed.

Was also thrilled to see us wearing Green shorts as well, looked well smart.

greenpaper55
01-05-2017, 09:34 AM
I was there, from memory only Di Stefano was missing from the great side that won the European cup, that must have been filmed from the old East enclosure. We had some side then , Quinn, Hamilton, Parke, Cormack, Scott, lots of good football played as well.

SirDavidsNapper
01-05-2017, 10:21 AM
Enjoyed that. What a great club this is

Golden Bear
01-05-2017, 10:25 AM
Yes I was there.

There was always something magical about the gleaming all white Real Madrid strip (especially under the floodlights) but their stars were sure put to the sword on that famous night.

:flag:

Moulin Yarns
01-05-2017, 10:26 AM
I was there, from memory only Di Stefano was missing from the great side that won the European cup, that must have been filmed from the old East enclosure. We had some side then , Quinn, Hamilton, Parke, Cormack, Scott, lots of good football played as well.

I remember the TV cameras used to be right above the players tunnel.

greenginger
01-05-2017, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I was there too as a 14 year old ! Ticket only at 5 shillings , no boys gate prices.

I wish I had kept the ticket stub. :thumbsup:

Did we not go to Ibrox the next Saturday and win 4 - 2 ?

Marco G
01-05-2017, 10:37 AM
I was there, away up on the terracing! Thanks to OP for bringing back memories of a great result in our history.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

hibs0666
01-05-2017, 10:44 AM

If you have some time on this May Day holiday...check out this 1964 footage of Hibs turning over Real Madrid at Easter Road 2-0.

Great footage...

Anyone at the game??

Really interesting to watch and compare with today's game. It's really noticeable that, back then, teams didn't press the ball and players had about half a year to make a pass. I guess this is a result of the much-improved fitness of today's players.

If they could go back in time, I would put my money on the current team hammering both of those teams purely down to improved fitness.

InchHibby
01-05-2017, 10:57 AM
I was there, fourteen years old. I remember joining the queue for the terracing along Albion Road.
Willie Hamilton would be a great player even today.

sarfoftheborder
01-05-2017, 11:37 AM
I was there too. 15 years old. Can still remember the atmosphere. Real Madrid were by a mile the top team in Europe at that time. Us old 'uns can also remember the 1960 final of the European Cup (precursor to the Champions League) held in Glasgow when Real beat Eintracht Frankfurt 7-3. Watched on grainy black and white tv but sensational. I remember everyone talking about it the following day.

ACLeith
01-05-2017, 11:48 AM
At school all the Jambos in the class were saying we would get slaughtered, I think one even said 7-0! I tried to bet them that we would score, but no takers

The Thursday morning was brilliant.

alhibby
01-05-2017, 02:15 PM
Many thanks for this, great stuff, I was 8 then and my Dad wouldnt take me that night, was so disappointed, he spoke about it for years after much to my annoyance so it is really good to see it at last, just a pity hes no longer with us as he would have enjoyed watching that immensely, :flag:

cmcd
01-05-2017, 02:32 PM

Was filmed from the west enclosure

esjorto
01-05-2017, 02:40 PM
I was there ( and at the 7-3 RM v Eintracht game) and I say Willie Hamilton gave one of the greatest performances I ever witnessed, of any team anywhere. It was the time when Jock Stein was at Hibs and fairly well straightened Willie out. Unfortunately he went back to his old ways ,was sold to Aston Villa but never regained any form. Willie moved to Calgary. I met him once, really nice guy, but tragically died here shortly afterwards.

bigwheel
01-05-2017, 03:06 PM
Great to read those memories ...amazing . Before my time , but must have been a big thing . This was at a time when almost no games were televised and here we have a "TV" game of a friendly match ! Amazing.

Some of the football looked fantastic !

greenpaper55
01-05-2017, 03:08 PM

Correct, getting my geography wrong as usual, think it was just above the players tunnel.

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-05-2017, 04:00 PM

Correct, and so was the Napoli game but no one can seem to find a copy, pity..

Tomsk
01-05-2017, 04:07 PM
Really interesting to watch and compare with today's game. It's really noticeable that, back then, teams didn't press the ball and players had about half a year to make a pass. I guess this is a result of the much-improved fitness of today's players.

If they could go back in time, I would put my money on the current team hammering both of those teams purely down to improved fitness.

Since you're playing a hypothetical game, if the 1964 players got up to the level of fitness of the present team what do you think the score would be?

ancient hibee
01-05-2017, 04:14 PM
It was a great display.Six bob for the ticket.Hibs had to wear green shorts as part of the deal.A forward line of inside forwards-Hamilton,Quinn,Cormack and Martin and Jim Scott wasn't exactly your traditional centre.Real were taken aback I think because everyone could play a bit and weren't afraid to take the ball.Cormack was excellent.Needless to say he soon became the target for some of the boo boys as his career developed.The tradition of some Hibs supporters not realising what they've got until it's gone has deep roots.

ancient hibee
01-05-2017, 04:14 PM
Since you're playing a hypothetical game, if the 1964 players got up to the level of fitness of the present team what do you think the score would be?

Double figures.

wpj
01-05-2017, 04:21 PM
Great footage, crowd were excellent getting behind Hibs

Cabbage East
01-05-2017, 04:26 PM
Thanks for posting. Class viewing.

cmcd
01-05-2017, 05:01 PM
Correct, and so was the Napoli game but no one can seem to find a copy, pity..

I missed the Napoli game as I was living abroad for a while but the Sporting Lisbon game was brill

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-05-2017, 05:08 PM
I missed the Napoli game as I was living abroad for a while but the Sporting Lisbon game was brill

Don't think that was filmed by a TV company as Tom Hart had told them to GTF basically for not paying the going rate, as a result many great European games were missed.

Valencia
01-05-2017, 06:08 PM
Wasn't there but I got my autograph book signed by all the Hibs players and six of the Real Madrid players thanks to Willie Wilson. Unfortunately it disappeared years ago

Norrieg
01-05-2017, 07:05 PM

You'd lose your money !!!

southsider
01-05-2017, 07:23 PM
It was a great display.Six bob for the ticket.Hibs had to wear green shorts as part of the deal.A forward line of inside forwards-Hamilton,Quinn,Cormack and Martin and Jim Scott wasn't exactly your traditional centre.Real were taken aback I think because everyone could play a bit and weren't afraid to take the ball.Cormack was excellent.Needless to say he soon became the target for some of the boo boys as his career developed.The tradition of some Hibs supporters not realising what they've got until it's gone has deep roots.

I think PC was only 16 at the time.

greenginger
01-05-2017, 07:27 PM
Don't think that was filmed by a TV company as Tom Hart had told them to GTF basically for not paying the going rate, as a result many great European games were missed.

Bill Harrower was chairman when the Napoli game was played.

Golden Bear
01-05-2017, 07:32 PM

Great footage...

Anyone at the game??

Viewed this 5 times since you posted it! Many thanks. 👍

houstonhibbee
01-05-2017, 07:57 PM
I think PC was only 16 at the time.
commentator said he was 17

Mick O'Rourke
01-05-2017, 08:27 PM
Someone on this thread suggested that the current Hibernian team would have beat the Real Madrid side of 1964 and also the Hibernian side who won on that famous night.

I am glad i dont drink much these days ,to make such comments!!

Someone else, i think, said Tom Hart was the owner/chairman back then.
Well, unless i am getting senile, it was Willie Harrower who was Hibernian owner at that time.

But to save argument ;-)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=willie+harrower+hibs&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjGj-awxM_TAhViF8AKHcsxAQEQsAQILA&biw=1067&bih=473#imgrc=7QKsNf9p0bpu5M:

Link to match report and other info.,on the above link
Note the amount of games RM went undefeated at home.
Quite remarkable !

Celtic take note;-)

Yes..
I was there that famous evening.

12 yrs old, on the old terracing (east stand now)sitting on the shoulders of an older friend and neighbour from Clermiston.
It peed doon wae rain that night.
Other than that, vague memories.(apart from the noise)

It was, as stated, an all ticket match.
Hibernian actually just made enough "ticket money" to pay Real Madrid.

Real Madrid back then did a lot of "touring" and demanded a standard fee for friendlies/challenge games (whatever the gate)

Ferenc Puskas was interviewed about the game
He mentioned Willie Hamilton, and said..
Willie would have not looked out of place in a Real Madrid team.

This accolade from a player who was a football genius and multi European Cup winner.

Trivia

The Hibernian players were all presented with a wristwatch with the RM badge on the face.

Worth a watch now, i would think !!

The song line

"Barcelona, Real Madrid
They will make their gallant bid" rings true for Hibs

Hibernian were the first club in the UK to beat both these teams.

Glory Glory
Hibernian Football Club
Pioneers in Europe

Jonnyboy
01-05-2017, 09:33 PM
I was gutted that I couldn't go to that game. My folks just could not afford the money. Delighted to watch these extended highlights so thanks for posting them :aok:

ancient hibee
01-05-2017, 10:02 PM
A slight digressin but I think it's interesting that the top two teams in Spain and the top three teams in Italy have all played at ER and only one of them won.

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-05-2017, 10:18 PM
Bill Harrower was chairman when the Napoli game was played.

What I meant was when Hart was at Hibs in the 70s, he told TV companies to bolt, sorry for any confusion, indeed there were plenty Euro nights covered in the 60s most of them lost I would think, STV were defo at the Napoli game though.

Famous Fiver
02-05-2017, 01:25 PM
A friend was in Madrid recently and went on the Tour of the Bernabau. Biggest trophy and memorabilia rooms in the world. European trophies, La Liga trophies, the lot.

My friend asks ' Where is the mementos of the Hibs v Real Madrid game. 'We gubbed yous, Puskas and all' Reply 'Hibs, Hibs, I don't understand'. 'Aye pal, yous went away wi' your tail between your legs that night'.

Seems it is one chapter neatly airbrushed out of their illustrious history.

It might be worth checking to see if that is correct, and if so perhaps Leeann could send them some wee memento to stick up in their trophy room.

Mick O'Rourke
02-05-2017, 03:00 PM
Famous Fiver
If your pal spoke to the guide in the vernacular, i am not surprised the guide did not understand him:confused:

As for memorabilia, each Hibernian player, as i mentioned. got a RM watch and club pennant.

Snazzy too. Seen both of them
The captains on the night swapped pennants,so i imagine Hibernian will have that pennant somewhere

Real Madrid back then did more globetrotting than Alan Whicker
If they displayed club pennants from all the teams they played,it would need to be a big room !
In saying that, not many teams did beat RM in those days.
Late 50s early 60s.
So maybe they want to forget that night:greengrin

stantonhibby
02-05-2017, 04:42 PM
A friend was in Madrid recently and went on the Tour of the Bernabau. Biggest trophy and memorabilia rooms in the world. European trophies, La Liga trophies, the lot.

My friend asks ' Where is the mementos of the Hibs v Real Madrid game. 'We gubbed yous, Puskas and all' Reply 'Hibs, Hibs, I don't understand'. 'Aye pal, yous went away wi' your tail between your legs that night'.

Seems it is one chapter neatly airbrushed out of their illustrious history.

It might be worth checking to see if that is correct, and if so perhaps Leeann could send them some wee memento to stick up in their trophy room.

There is a Barca v Hibs poster in the Nou Camp museum.

cmcd
02-05-2017, 04:48 PM
What I meant was when Hart was at Hibs in the 70s, he told TV companies to bolt, sorry for any confusion, indeed there were plenty Euro nights covered in the 60s most of them lost I would think, STV were defo at the Napoli game though.

Most of them lost .No way were most of them lost at ER

Golden Bear
02-05-2017, 05:00 PM

Footage or match results?

:greengrin

Andy74
02-05-2017, 05:18 PM
That Hamilton boy wasn't bad.

Haven't seen much footage from back then so it's interesting to see how they compare to modern players.

A couple of those Real players were pretty rapid for everyone who thinks athleticism in football is a new thing!

Mick O'Rourke
02-05-2017, 05:37 PM
Andy74
Those old enough to remember will tell you that Willie Hamilton ran the show that night against Real Madrid.

Years later when Pat Stanton was at Celtic(so the story goes)
Pat was sitting chatting to other Celtic players.
The question was asked "Who is/was the best player you played alongside.
Celtic boys gave their comments.
Pat said "Willie Hamilton".
" Who?" replied the younger Celts.
Celtic manager Jock Stein, overhearing the conversation said that Willie was one of the finest players he managed.
Jock compared Willie to Kenny Dalglish.

The week after the Real game, Hibernian played Rangers at Ibrox
Willie destroyed them and Hibernian won 4-2
Hibernian beat Rangers 3 times that season.
Willie emigrated to Canada in 1975 and sadly a year later died of a heart attack, aged 38
A football genius.

My favourite Hibernian during the 60s, along with Eric Stevenson and Gerry Baker.

HIBERNIAN-0762
02-05-2017, 06:57 PM

Que? :rolleyes:

Mick O'Rourke
02-05-2017, 08:12 PM
With permission

The following link includes highlight of some early European Nights (courtesy of Hibernian Retro)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFeYSJVaYxk

I have the dvd of this. "European Nights"
Great memories for us older supporters and hopefully some footage younger fans may not have come across.
The Real Madrid game is included in the video.

Those European wednesday nights are something i miss, but fondly remember.
(when i wasn't on the four crown/ eldorado :drunk:)

So many great nights we had during the 60s early 70s and some memorable results too.
Spoiled we were, to see some great teams and players at The Holy Ground.

Lets hope its not too long before Hibernian return to the European stage.
The group stage, that is !!
ER i have no doubt,would be packed every game.

ancient hibee
02-05-2017, 08:41 PM
The ER match on the video is a friendly Barcelona played as an apology.They won 3-1.The away tie is shown with some goals.There's no footage of the "battle" game.Pity but no cameras present.

HIBERNIAN-0762
02-05-2017, 09:09 PM
Rare clip vs Rheims

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx1R64daxxU

ancient hibee
02-05-2017, 09:14 PM
Haven't seen that before.The coverage of the play is high quality compared to the TV/cinema news coverage in the U.K. at the time.

cmcd
02-05-2017, 09:28 PM
Andy74
Those old enough to remember will tell you that Willie Hamilton ran the show that night against Real Madrid.

Celtic manager Jock Stein, overhearing the conversation said that Willie was one of the finest players he managed.

Willie emigrated to Canada in 1975 and sadly a year later died of a heart attack, aged 38
A football genius.

My favourite Hibernian during the 60s, along with Eric Stevenson and Gerry Baker.
My favourite also .Had the pleasure of meeting Pat a few years ago at hospitality and he told me Willie was his idol

cmcd
02-05-2017, 09:31 PM
Footage or match results?

:greengrin

Sorry I thought he ment results

Mick O'Rourke
02-05-2017, 09:35 PM
The ER match on the video is a friendly Barcelona played as an apology.They won 3-1.The away tie is shown with some goals.There's no footage of the "battle" game.Pity but no cameras present.
Indeed, you are correct.
I still have the newspaper clippings of the Battle of Easter Road
A bit tatty now
I salvaged them a number of years ago from the loft of my parents house.

--------
03-05-2017, 09:14 AM

Aye, if Hart actually HAD been chairman at the time, it would have been a fine example of Big Tam's "financial acumen", aka "cutting off your nose to spite your face". Isn't Hart's ban the reason we don't have any record of the Sporting or Beza games in the Cup-Winners' Cup? Stupid old man. :crazy:

I think we need to remember that this was a friendly and played as such. Neither Hibs nor Real wanted the game to end with players on the treatment table, and while the marking and closing-down wasn't what it is today there was still a loot of very serious defending went on.

Forza Fred
03-05-2017, 11:52 PM
I was there, six bob to get in and nae boys gate as previously stated.

Cormack scored the first with second being an own goal, from Zoco(?) off a free kick.

I actually got into the REal dressing room for autographs, the day before the game as Real had an open training session at ER.

The President of Real was happy me and a couple of other kids were getting autographs but a grumpy Jock Stein noticed we were in and threw us out!

Not commonly known is that Puskas put a mark on Pat Stanton's ankle that night that Pat reckons is still there.

Forza Fred
03-05-2017, 11:56 PM
Andy74

A football genius.

Hi Mick

Gerry Baker gets little mention compared to his brother, but I reckon there was one season where basically Gerry scoring the goals and Ronnie Simpson stopping them, saved us from relegation.

bigwheel
04-05-2017, 07:26 PM
And now , how about Hibs scoring 4 goals against Barca??

Enjoy !

https://www.youtube.com/embed/s38PCDdV_mw

greenginger
04-05-2017, 07:37 PM
Aye, if Hart actually HAD been chairman at the time, it would have been a fine example of Big Tam's "financial acumen", aka "cutting off your nose to spite your face". Isn't Hart's ban the reason we don't have any record of the Sporting or Beza games in the Cup-Winners' Cup? Stupid old man. :crazy:

I think we need to remember that this was a friendly and played as such. Neither Hibs nor Real wanted the game to end with players on the treatment table, and while the marking and closing-down wasn't what it is today there was still a loot of very serious defending went on.

I think the reason there were no TV cameras at the Sporting Lisbon or F C Besa games was BBC and STV were covering the Old Firm in Europe which was always their first choice. TV companies were only capable of covering one game in those days.

There was always good money for European games , it was the £ 1000 on offer for a league game that was insulting to some clubs.

Mick O'Rourke
04-05-2017, 08:30 PM
Hi Mick

Gerry Baker gets little mention compared to his brother, but I reckon there was one season where basically Gerry scoring the goals and Ronnie Simpson stopping them, saved us from relegation.

Hi Fred
You got that right.
62/63 season.
Gerry Bee was a fine striker.
His goals did help stave of relegation that season.
(other factors were at play at the end of that season,but i cannot afford a good lawyer, so i wont comment:lips seal)

Gerry was a Scottish Cup winner with St Mirren.1959

Sadly,something his brother Joe did not manage to do v Clyde 1958
Joe, what were you thinking !!

One time Gerry came to our house.
I just sat on the end of the settee. gawping....
Its Gerry Baker !! :panic:

Me.... speechless ?
Unheard of since!

God Bless The Baker Boys.
We wont see their like again.

Sorry folks,I digress.(off topic)

Bring on Real Madrid !!!

And Spaniards by the score !!