PDA

View Full Version : Lewis testimonial

pacorosssco
30-04-2017, 11:46 AM
Any more mention of a game???

keep the faith
30-04-2017, 11:51 AM
I posted the same question last week. Really hoping something is announced soon. Not much more time to get things moving and really look forward to recognising Lewis and all he has done. Scottish cup v cis cup teams would be a brilliant event.
Testimonial website only states that it's still being planned.

http://lewisstevensontestimonial.org/?page_id=11

pacorosssco
30-04-2017, 12:45 PM
I posted the same question last week. Really hoping something is announced soon. Not much more time to get things moving and really look forward to recognising Lewis and all he has done. Scottish cup v cis cup teams would be a brilliant event.
Testimonial website only states that it's still being planned.

http://lewisstevensontestimonial.org/?page_id=11

Cheers for update

calumhibee1
30-04-2017, 09:19 PM
I can't see this going ahead.

Danderhall Hibs
30-04-2017, 09:53 PM
It's been really quiet for him. Only the dinner last year.

I heard one of the committee on off the ball a couple of months ago and it was definitely in the plans. He (I think it was Kenny Millar from the Sun) said it might be difficult because LS was out of contract and also that to get players back you're liable for their wages - so to get Fletcher back we'd be liable for his 20-30k.

It's not right - if I was LS I'd be really disappointed.

HibbyAndy
30-04-2017, 09:57 PM

I heard one of the committee on off the ball a couple of months ago and it was definitely in the plans. He (I think it was Kenny Millar from the Sun) said it might be difficult because LS was out of contract and also that to get players back you're liable for their wages - so to get Fletcher back we'd be liable for his 20-30k.

Cannot believe this is the case :confused:

Eyrie
30-04-2017, 09:59 PM
I'd assume that an insurance policy could be taken out for the players' wages if that was the case, but the cost could be prohibitive.

keep the faith
30-04-2017, 09:59 PM
Is anyone from the testimonial committee on here to provide an update?

Danderhall Hibs
30-04-2017, 10:01 PM

That's what he said mate. Pretty sure it was Kenny Millar.

silverhibee
30-04-2017, 10:06 PM

Never knew that, but surely Fletcher could not take his wage for that week, or is there insurance stuff as well in case a player gets injured in the game, as you say, would be very disappointing for Lewis if this never went ahead for him, did the club help promote Murray's testimonial ?

hibbysam
01-05-2017, 07:43 AM
Never knew that, but surely Fletcher could not take his wage for that week, or is there insurance stuff as well in case a player gets injured in the game, as you say, would be very disappointing for Lewis if this never went ahead for him, did the club help promote Murray's testimonial ?

That's exactly it. I don't think we're liable for his wages, but we would be if he got himself injured and was going to be out for a period of time.

JimBHibees
01-05-2017, 08:11 AM

Not so sure he was in the premier league with Sunderland and would have been looking for something similar.

lucky
01-05-2017, 08:25 AM

I'm not disputing what you've posted but just can't think it's correct. Players play in testimonials as a tribute to other players can't see anyone asking for money. Also why does his testimonial have to be against the CIS team. Surely Hibs can arrange a match for him as part of pre-season friendlies ? He actually deserves it more than Ian Murray. LS is a one club man and double cup winner, if Hibs don't honour him I can't see anyone in the future being awarded one.

PatHead
01-05-2017, 08:30 AM
Problem with it being an official friendly is that it becomes taxable. The club can't organise anything. It is up to the committee to organise the events.
I'm not disputing what you've posted but just can't think it's correct. Players play in testimonials as a tribute to other players can't see anyone asking for money. Also why does his testimonial have to be against the CIS team. Surely Hibs can arrange a match for him as part of pre-season friendlies ? He actually deserves it more than Ian Murray. LS is a one club man and double cup winner, if Hibs don't honour him I can't see anyone in the future being awarded one.

keep the faith
01-05-2017, 08:31 AM
It's weird as its already been announced there will be a game and since then...nothing.

Billy Whizz
01-05-2017, 08:32 AM
It's weird as its already been announced there will be a game and since then...nothing.

Were maybe waiting to see if we were in Europe or not

Argylehibby
01-05-2017, 08:32 AM

Pretty sure that Hibs cannot be involved in arranging it but can of course added to play in it. If they play an active part in the organising of it then as they are his employers any money made is deemed to be wages and therefore taxable.

My_Wife_Camille
01-05-2017, 10:09 AM
The game will go ahead, nothing to worry about there. It was just harder to deal with potential opponents, guests and dates while our league and cup status was still in the air.

coco mc
01-05-2017, 10:54 AM
Top Dutch team

J-C
01-05-2017, 02:50 PM
Were maybe waiting to see if we were in Europe or not

How would we be getting into Europe or am I missing something?

Eyrie
01-05-2017, 03:04 PM
How would we be getting into Europe or am I missing something?

By winning the Scottish Cup (again). We now know that won't happen this year as we're letting someone else have a chance.

J-C
01-05-2017, 03:15 PM
I knew that but the post I was replying to was from this morning and we knew Europe was not on after the semi, just wondered why Billywhizz thought Europe was still a possibility?

Centre Hawf
01-05-2017, 03:24 PM
I knew that but the post I was replying to was from this morning and we knew Europe was not on after the semi, just wondered why Billywhizz thought Europe was still a possibility? I think he meant we were waiting not that we are.

Danderhall Hibs
01-05-2017, 10:01 PM

I've no idea if it's correct or not either - i was just repeating what a member of the testimonial committee said on the radio.

matty_f
02-05-2017, 12:18 AM
I've no idea if it's correct or not either - i was just repeating what a member of the testimonial committee said on the radio.

You're definitely right, I remember the discussion.

Cabbage East
02-05-2017, 05:23 AM
Top Dutch team

Great post. Would read again.

DH1875
02-05-2017, 06:50 AM

He 100% said it on the the radio :agree: Was very surprised at the time as wondered how teams could play against the top EPL sides if they had to pay their wages.