PDA

View Full Version : Martin Boyle

Unseen work
30-04-2017, 08:26 AM
Think this man deserves a thread of his own.

i think the amount he has progressed this season is very impressive and having just turned 24 I think he still has a lot of potential.

his attitude fantastic and he really appreciates being at a club as big as hibs which is very refreshing to see.

9 goals this season and I'm unsure how many assists.

Think Lennon is really getting the best out of him and with the competition of him, Humphrey, Swanson and another I think it will benefit him.

Allant1981
30-04-2017, 08:34 AM
i really like him, dont know what you are getting one game to the next, he played well yesterday again, defenders wont like him running at them and hopefully we see it next season as well

snooky
30-04-2017, 10:24 AM
In the highlights Boyle looked terrific.
He tore Ayr apart. Alas, Holt came across as bit of a huddy in the parts of the game I saw.

Bostonhibby
30-04-2017, 10:43 AM
Mate was there yesterday and he said Boyle was great. Ayr couldn't handle him. Only ayr but the guy is certainly capable. Bit more consistency and he could be a real asset next season.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Dashing Bob S
30-04-2017, 10:55 AM
Lennon has totally remodeled Boyle utilizing his strengths. He's refashioned him from a second rate poacher into a pacy, attacking midfielder cum winger.

He gets more comfortable on the ball every game. Even round Christmas I would have said 'empty' but now I think 'essential'. Could be a key player next season.

3pm
30-04-2017, 10:57 AM
Posted it elsewhere but IMO his best position is coming in off the left.

J-C
30-04-2017, 11:00 AM
Posted it elsewhere but IMO his best position is coming in off the left.

Was just about to post the same, his best form was when Cummings was benched and Keatings injured and he played through the middle, his pace scares defenders and coming off the left seems to be his best position.

NAE NOOKIE
30-04-2017, 11:15 AM
He has certainly progressed well this year and 9 goals isn't too bad at all considering Holt, Graham and Keatings who have all played more centrally than him are struggling to match that .... whatever Boyle brings its always at 100%, lazy he aint.

There is however a touch of the Ivan Sproule about him. When you watched Ivan's performance in the 2007 League cup final he wasn't very effective because the Killie defenders had worked out pre match that if you got in front of him to check his run you could pretty well stifle his effectiveness and they did that pretty well on the day.

Martin Boyle is a wee bit the same, in that his whole game appears to be a sprint between the left back and the touchline, I noticed in the derby at Easter Road that after half an hour the Hertz left back had worked out that all you needed to do was anticipate and match his run and he would be left with nowhere to go, after that he wasn't nearly as effective as he had been at the start of the game, it was no coincidence that all of our goals came from the left that night.

What Boyle needs to develop is a wee bit of variety to his game to keep defenders guessing, just now and again instead of going on the outside he should try to cut in .... the trouble with that of course is like too many of our players he appears to be rather one footed and its debatable whether he would be able to trouble the keeper or play a telling ball off his left foot.

gaz1875
30-04-2017, 11:17 AM
If there is one player every week that deserves a goal for the effort he puts in. it's Martin Boyle. Even when things aren't going his way the effort is always there.

MWHIBBIES
30-04-2017, 11:17 AM
He tore Ayr apart. Alas, Holt came across as bit of a huddy in the parts of the game I saw.Really? Holt was excellent yesterday.

30-04-2017, 11:22 AM
I really like Boyle and really hope we keep him. His final pass/shot/cross can sometimes be suspect but he's got bags of pace and can cause defenders a lot of problems on the wing.

I especially like him as a player who can come on later in the game and cause problems with his pace against tired defences.

HFCdeb
30-04-2017, 11:26 AM
I've had my doubts about him contributing anything other than that awesome pace but, as others have said, he's really developed this season and Lennon seems to be getting the best out of him. Keen to see him develop further and that pace is a nightmare for any defender so he'll be able to do a job for us next season and beyond.

Nicho87
30-04-2017, 11:42 AM
Always liked Boyle whilst sometimes it always doesn't work I feel he gives his all. Pace scares defenders, hopefully he stays for a few years.

B.H.F.C
30-04-2017, 11:53 AM
I'm not convinced Boyle has the quality to play for us if we want to be a top 3/4 side.

But if he is still here next year he'll have earned his contract. He's one of the few players that has actually chipped in and backed up Cummings in terms of goals. I'd rather keep him than some of the other out of contract players.

NORTHERNHIBBY
30-04-2017, 12:35 PM
We need to keep in mind that he didn't do all that well the last time in the SPL with Dundee. That could be confidence or whatever and I am not writing him off but my Dee supporting pals said words such as inconsistent, one trick pony, drops out of games and can't finish chances when we swapped him for a while with Harris. We have all said the same since. I think confidence is the big one.

Iggy Pope
30-04-2017, 01:32 PM
He tore Ayr apart. Alas, Holt came across as bit of a huddy in the parts of the game I saw.

Dearie me. Holt was involved in everything start to finish and did most of it with a smile on his face.
Run and cross for goal No 2 are not the actions of a huddy.
He's nearing the end of a pretty good career and looks like he's enjoying his time here.

Mango Man
30-04-2017, 01:43 PM
His run from his own box yesterday in the first half was brilliant, skinned about 5 players and laid it on a plate for Holt, who should have done better.

Boyle is a keeper for next season, great pace and desire.

Sir David Gray
30-04-2017, 01:52 PM
I have doubts about him being good enough to get us to where we want to be as a club but whilst he plays for us he'll get my full support. He certainly played well yesterday.

jacomo
30-04-2017, 02:05 PM
Dearie me. Holt was involved in everything start to finish and did most of it with a smile on his face.
He's nearing the end of a pretty good career and looks like he's enjoying his time here.

This is the problem with highlights, no?

They can be very misleading about an individual player's contribution.

neil7908
30-04-2017, 02:28 PM
He has certainly progressed well this year and 9 goals isn't too bad at all considering Holt, Graham and Keatings who have all played more centrally than him are struggling to match that .... whatever Boyle brings its always at 100%, lazy he aint.

There is however a touch of the Ivan Sproule about him. When you watched Ivan's performance in the 2007 League cup final he wasn't very effective because the Killie defenders had worked out pre match that if you got in front of him to check his run you could pretty well stifle his effectiveness and they did that pretty well on the day.

Martin Boyle is a wee bit the same, in that his whole game appears to be a sprint between the left back and the touchline, I noticed in the derby at Easter Road that after half an hour the Hertz left back had worked out that all you needed to do was anticipate and match his run and he would be left with nowhere to go, after that he wasn't nearly as effective as he had been at the start of the game, it was no coincidence that all of our goals came from the left that night.

What Boyle needs to develop is a wee bit of variety to his game to keep defenders guessing, just now and again instead of going on the outside he should try to cut in .... the trouble with that of course is like too many of our players he appears to be rather one footed and its debatable whether he would be able to trouble the keeper or play a telling ball off his left foot.

Comparisons with Ivan are spot on.

Both in his good and bad points. Pace to burn and always gives 100% but if he wants to be a top player he needs to improve the other aspects of his game.

I'd be more than happy to get him on a 2/3 year deal though as there is potentially a really quality player in him.

calumhibee1
30-04-2017, 04:04 PM
We need to keep in mind that he didn't do all that well the last time in the SPL with Dundee. That could be confidence or whatever and I am not writing him off but my Dee supporting pals said words such as inconsistent, one trick pony, drops out of games and can't finish chances when we swapped him for a while with Harris. We have all said the same since. I think confidence is the big one.

In his spell at Dundee he was just turned 19 when he signed and only turned 22 at the very end of his spell with Dundee if my calculations are correct. This was on the back of not having played higher than part time football at Montrose in the bottom tier of Scottish football. At that age, and coming from that level he was never going to be the finished article. The Martin Boyle that plays for Hibs now would be snapped up by everyone outside the top 3 if we released him IMO and to be totally honest, I wouldn't even be surprised if Aberdeen and Rangers had a punt on him either.

There's a good few of the squad from this season I'd be looking to move on in the summer. Martin Boyle would be one of the main out of contract players I'd be looking to keep.

J-C
30-04-2017, 04:04 PM

I watched the highlights from another thread posted on here and I thought Holt looked to be involved in everything, Boyle in particular looked really dangerous.

calumhibee1
30-04-2017, 04:06 PM

In that game he humiliated the left back for the first half hour. The rest of the game he actually still played very well, it just wasn't quite as hilariously easy for him, or at least that's how I remember it. :agree:

Unseen work
30-04-2017, 04:59 PM
Give him a break he said Holt never looked great in the highlights he is barely slating the guy.

Fwiw based on the highlights I also thought he looked poor, missed a sitter from Boyle's Run and failed to control a simple pass from Cummings which should have led to another goal.

its 9 minute highlights that cover the whole game.

Iggy Pope
30-04-2017, 05:21 PM
This is the problem with highlights, no?

They can be very misleading about an individual player's contribution.

That is the problem with highlights. Yes.

Iggy Pope
30-04-2017, 05:22 PM
Give him a break he said Holt never looked great in the highlights he is barely slating the guy.

Fwiw based on the highlights I also thought he looked poor, missed a sitter from Boyle's Run and failed to control a simple pass from Cummings which should have led to another goal.

its 9 minute highlights that cover the whole game.

Huddy?

Baldy Foghorn
30-04-2017, 09:52 PM
Huddy?

Some folks are clueless, make their minds up with highlights:faf::faf:

snooky
01-05-2017, 12:14 AM
Some folks are clueless, make their minds up with highlights:faf::faf:

I said that the parts that I saw he looked like a huddy. I never said he was a huddy. The point I was trying to make was that the highlights didn't flatter him.
I'm grateful to be enlightened by your good self BF, on my lack of clarity.
Signed: just another clueless netter. :wink:

JDHibs
01-05-2017, 07:00 AM
People have made their opinion about a player and no matter how they play, they still slate them, Holt appears to get it the most. Watched the highlights and thought he done well. Great run and cross for Boyles goal.

As for Boyle, i havent been his biggest fan, but he has improved alot this season, if he continues that improvement next season into his crossing he will be a great player to have around. Ask any defender what bothers them the most, itll be a pacy winger running at them with their back to go. Boyle does that and does that well!

9 goals and 7 assists is a decent return in 40 off games. Give him another contract.

Viva_Palmeiras
01-05-2017, 07:08 AM
I said that the parts that I saw he looked like a huddy. I never said he was a huddy. The point I was trying to make was that the highlights didn't flatter him.
I'm grateful to be enlightened by your good self BF, on my lack of clarity.
Signed: just another clueless netter. :wink:

If it looks like a duck...

Ozyhibby
01-05-2017, 10:22 AM
Boyle is definitely worth keeping. His pace causes problems and he is still young. I'm not sure he should be a regular starter but as part of the squad he does very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tamig
01-05-2017, 10:27 AM
Absolutely. Holt was excellent on Saturday. Great ball for Boyle's goal and some great hold up play and lay-offs. Not sure what some people see at games.